Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Here's a link to pricing and features direct from Hyundai...

http://hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2011_Models/Sonata/Pricing.asp

;)
  • jaimesonjaimeson Member Posts: 9
    The Sonata looks fantastic in those new press photos. http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2011_Models/Sonata/Photo_Gallery.asp
  • leowinleowin Member Posts: 18
    Glad to see that there is a lower pricing GLS model with higher quality audio option. All along I have been hating the way Accord, Altima, Mazda 6, Jetta models forced one to opt for cowhide (sic) and V6 models in order to get quality audio. Way to go Hyundai!
  • wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    The sonata does look very nice. I would hesitate at this time for a couple reasons. Buying a first year model can be risky. The sonata has been around for quite some time, but essentially, the 2011 is a "new model". A new technology - 1st time to use GDI for hyundai; a "new" automatic transmission that hasn't been proven; a "new" supsension system to hopefully replace the thunk-plagued transmission of sonatas past. That's a lot of "new" stuff for one model year and the first year buyer may well be kicking himself in the pants if things don't work out as hyundai planned. I wish them luck and think they fell into great timing on this with the camry recalls and the honda vcm/brake problems.
  • chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    Super Bowl ads are already out .. good stuff Hyundai!

Paint

Farve
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    i agree with wayne in that purchasing a first year model can be a bit risky until they work out all the kinks after a few model years.however,my girlfriend who about 6 months ago purchased a kia forte sedan which is also a new 1st year model says that her forte is a really great little car and she's had no issues with it up till this point.kia really did their homework on the forte but that's for another forum.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Pricing looks great, but the low HP remains a deal-breaker for me. I live in a very hilly area and do a significant amount of merging and driving in metro highway traffic (work in sales) and won't consider the car until they offer something around 240hp or better.
  • 8babies1dog8babies1dog Member Posts: 122
    Hello to all, just went thru the Hyundai plant in Alabama Friday on a
    1 1/2 hour guided tour. If at all possible and you are interested in seeing
    them make 1000+ vehicles a day from scratch with the ability to up
    production, then this is a must see. They are in production mode on the
    2011 Sonata. I brought my sister in law and her husband (my brother-in-law)
    and they both said no more Lincolns for them, but only would prefer a V-6.

I was told by a pretty high up source at the plant that probably a turbo version
    may be available by the fall??? HP was not discussed, and that they do know
    they will loose some sales to die hard V6 fans and that may not be out of the
    question at a later date, the v-6 build shop is still intact. This is hear say
    between me and a HMMA public relations persons that greets you for the tour.

They treat you like royalty and don't even know if you have one of their vehicles!
    awesome experience, this place is huge and the cleanest work area I have ever
    seen. Again it is worth making a reservation to see it, the most up to date and
    high tech car plant in the world, if you go you will know, and yes the 2011 is
    what it's cracked up to be!
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Hello everyone....just waiting on Friday's snowstorm here in PA. Good news! The 2011 Sonata broke cover at the U.S. website. Go to hyundaiusa.com and you'll find the new Sonata listed under the family sedans. It includes pricing and "build your own" features. NOW...has anyone seen one on a lot? I'm going to drive past our big dealership tonight and see....
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Poodog.....I really think you are "barking" up the wrong tree here! Sorry buddy...couldn't resist the pun. I live in hilly PA and have had 4's 6's and 8's over the course of my life. My current vehicle is a V-6 with a 6 speed automatic which works just fine despite the varied topography. And the power to weight ratio is actually slightly worse than the Sonata despite it being a V-6. Lastly...198-200 hp may not be to your liking, but it is most certainly NOT "low". Particularly when hitched to a six speed automatic in a car barely more than 3100 pounds.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Lastly...198-200 hp may not be to your liking, but it is most certainly NOT "low".

Good point. It's worth remembering that the V-6s of the late 90s (& here I'm thinking of the V-6 that was optional on the Accord back then) rarely put out more than 200 hp, & no one complained.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    It's the torque that gets you up and down hills without shifting all over the place not the hp. Compare the torques of the V6 vs the I4 and you'll get a better idea for how it will handle those hills and slopes. That's how those turbodiesels in VWs with only 140hp in a fairly heavy vehicle can pull so hard without dropping a gear......they have lots of torque.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I don't recall the torque in my '05 Sonata V-6, but it has plenty of power...just not a race car.

The HP in my car is 170. The new I-4 will have 28 to 30 more HP and I assume its torque will be higher than the '05 V-6.

If I were in the market for a new car I wouldn't let the 4 cyl turn me away.
    I would think just the opposite. Now that a 6th gear has been added for fuel economy I would suppose the rpm would be much lower in 6th gear for fuel effeciency and cause a lot more shifting on a hill or any kind of pull. I had my 4 cyl honda in western pa for 2 weeks and will say beyond a doubt that I would not consider owning that car if I lived in western pa. Overdrive served no purpose and all it did was shift. I would think 200 hp with a 6th gear would be doing a lot of shifting (regardless of torque - 184 for the sonata) when a strain is put on it in 6th gear.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    To be honest, I've never owned a 4-cylinder car with auto. All of them - starting with the '66 VW I drove in college up through the '06 CR-V that I have now - have been sticks. But I have rented 4-cylinder automatics - most recently, an '08 Sonata that my wife & I drove during a 10-day Northern California vacation - & I can't recall wanting any more power. The California trip involved a lot of driving in hilly / mountainous terrain, & the Sonata was certainly more than adequate.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Remember, many (most?) automatic transmissions now feature some form of "fuzzy logic" where the car senses uphill/downhill driving and the transmission now does not incessantly down-shift, then up-shift, then down-shift then (you get the idea).....on uphill pulls. They also do not stay mainly in top gear when going down the other side of that mountain grade but will down shift a gear or two (without driver action) to maintain speed without excessive brake use. Our 2006 Honda Civic utilizes this and it reduces annoying transmission shifting greatly. I also live and drive in mountainous Pa.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I got an email from Hyundai yesterday (since I am an owner) about the 2011 Sonata. It mentioned a $199/month lease deal and a $500 loyalty rebate (for buy or lease). So it looks like Hyundai is getting aggressive on pricing from the outset--maybe to take advantage of Toyota's stumbles? The email also mentioned cars would be in dealerships "this month".

P.S. Lease is 12k miles a year, $199/month for 36 months with $2,399 due at signing on the Sonata GLS with Automatic Transmission. $0 security deposit. Excludes taxes, title & license.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    The torque on your 05 Sonata v6 is 181 lbs at 4000k rpm. The new Sonata is 184 lbs at 4250k rpms. You've also got transmissions with different number of gears and different gear ratios which all effect the dirving experience. That's why thorough test drives are so important.

The new Sonata with auto is about 100 lbs heavier than your 05 even though it's an I4 and I assume that is because of several factors including general size of vehicle, sound deadening and safety equipment. They have lightened it in some areas while other areas got heavier. Actually Hyundai has done a very good job at holding the weight down while beefing up the car.

I'm not an engineer but it's just not as simple as hp/torque/weight comparisons as different engines will achieve their highest readings at different RPMs. I've noticed that most American built engines historically have achieved their maximum numbers at lower RPMs than most the imports and that the torque numbers are achieved at much lower rpm ususally.

I have a Mazsda6 with the I4/5spd auto and don't notice any problem with hills. When I encounter a long steep, almost mountain type hill it will drop into 4th once in a great while but not bothersome. I wouldn't anticipate the new Sonata to have a problem either. Of course, I live in the midwest so it may be a different story if I were to be constantly driving on steep hills......then it could be another story.
    Just about every review of the new Tucson I've read has stated that Hyundai's new 6-speed auto is excellent. A smart and seamless shifter. And that car weighs more and is down ~20hp. I wouldn't expect the Sonata to have a problem with excessive shifting.
  • flatibbyflatibby Member Posts: 28
    Hey.... where's my email?? I'm sure they would like a current 2007 Sonata owner to trade up to the 2011 Sonata by shooting an email my way!! :P
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    Not sure about horsepower to weight difference, but it is all relative. I too am in sales (32,000/miles a year) and drive a '07 Accord EX-L with the 166 horsepower 4 cyl. motor. Plenty of horsepower 90% OF THE TIME.Yes, there is a few, very few times where I could have used more power.

I wouldn't discount any car based on horsepower. You need a "seat of the pants" test drive to fully make an aware decision.
  • billwardbillward Member Posts: 154
    I didn't get one either, and I have both a 2003 Sonata and a 2009 Sonata.
  • jenny01jenny01 Member Posts: 2
    The new Sonatas arrived!
    I'm buying a black metallic GLS today with the popular package. Each dealership got only 3 sonatas, one car for each trim. That is in Virginia.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Not sure about horsepower to weight difference, but it is all relative. I too am in sales (32,000/miles a year) and drive a '07 Accord EX-L with the 166 horsepower 4 cyl. motor. Plenty of horsepower 90% OF THE TIME.Yes, there is a few, very few times where I could have used more power.

Not to diminish your experience or comments in any way, but I think part of the issue is what you're coming from. I currently drive a Maxima with 265 hp and between my driving style and the West PA hills, just couldn't see myself dropping off that far. I agree that a test drive is requisite, but you can't drive every car out there so you need to establish some minimum criteria.
  • cbrunson1cbrunson1 Member Posts: 30
    2011 Sonatas are in Houston. I'm going by tomorrow (Saturday, Feb. 6) to see/drive one. Sterling-McCall Hyundai on 59 at the tollway in Stafford.
    Please give us some detailed driving impressions asap!
  • rich27514rich27514 Member Posts: 41
    I purchased a 2011 Sonata Limited from Crenshaw Hyundai in Burlington, NC yesterday. It is silver with black leather and a very sharp car. I wasn't planning on buying this car yesterday but I passed the dealership and there they were, 4 2011 Limiteds...black, white, blue, silver with gray and black interiors.

I haven't been this excited about a new car in a long time. (I am a long time Toyota owner.) The interior quality is near luxury, fit and finish is superb. It drives like a German sport sedan, having had VWs, an Audi, and a BMW in the past. I would compare it to the VW CC but it is much more practical. Seating for 3 in the back, easy entry and exit. I am 6 feet and can sit comfortably in the back. Anyone any taller would not have sufficient headroom.

The dealer did give some discount. His first one sold.

A gorgeous car!!!
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I've gotten one and so has my wife. If you go to www.hyundaiusa.com and sign up, you will get all the email offers they have. Plus other news about their vehicles.
    My thoughts exactly about the interior. Very lux compared to cars in its class. You sports sedan comment is good news. Sounds like it is somewhat athletic. Even more excited now. Hoping for more positive impressions as next week the press will be testing it out. Enjoy the new ride!
  • seaurchinseaurchin Member Posts: 57
    Can you give us the breakdown, MSRP and the final OTD price.
    The MSRP was $26,150. The only options were floor mats and an iPod cable.

The dealer discounted the MSRP approximately $500.

Taxes/license/etc are state dependent, as you know.

I am not a previous Hyundai owner so I was not eligible for the current loyalty incentive.
  • swingmanswingman Member Posts: 54
    I've read quite a few comments about the front looking "melted" Does anyone know what that means exactly?

From the pictures, it looks fine to me but I haven't seen one in person yet to closely inspect so maybe I'm missing something.

I'm surprised by the lack of reviews. Also, dealers around me haven't gotten around to adding the 2011s in their website inventory, although I know at least 2 of them have it in stock.

Would love to hear more impressions from people that own the car. I'm going to be looking around June (hopefully more deals pop up by then on the 2011 sonata).
  • caseybrucaseybru Member Posts: 47
    There aren't any 2011s in North Ca. yet. I am waiting on an SE to come to a dealer near me and the closest one is Chico Ca , 110 miles away and the next is Roseville,Ca and it is over 230 miles. I drive a Ford Taurus and I wish Hyundai would offer Ford owners the same deal they are offering Toyota owners. $1000 dollar incentive plus the value of the Toyota trade in. The Limited without nav is $25295 and with nav package is $27395. I was really looking forward to getting into the SE and now after reading these comments I wish they would hurry up and get the new Sonatas into our dealers. You guys have really stimulated mu anxiety. The prices I mentioned do not include the $720 D&D or Ca tax, license and registration. It will be hard to get dealers to go below MSRP the first few months but if we can hold off ,with the economy like it is, they will make deals in order to make sales.
  • jenny01jenny01 Member Posts: 2
    MSRP, GLS automatic transmission, popular package= 21,800
    Price with taxes fees etc. 22,820
    Military discount minus 500

FINAL PRICE 22,320.

I have to note: the MSRP on the hyundai website was 21,665 for my model with the package, thats 135 less than the price i was given at the dealership. However, i did got a discount.
    There aren't any reviews yet because the First Drives haven't taken place. They're actually scheduled for some time around the 14th. Of course the Sonata will officially debut to American audiences this Sunday at the Superbowl, that's why Hyundai finally updated their website.
  • jerryk33jerryk33 Member Posts: 6
    Interesting as I too am intewrested in purchasing the LTD model. The reservation is my concerne about the 200HP 4. Did u find it that the power is enough? I am presently the owner on a 2002 GLE Maxima and it has been an excellent auto with little or zero problems. Was the Sonata 'quiet" ?

Thanks
    I find the power to be more than adequate and its delivery to be very smooth. The 6 speed auto is silky smooth, and the manual shifting is very precise and rapid. I really can't compare it to a 6 cylinder Maxima as I have never driven one. I find the car quiet under most conditions. There is, obviously, more engine noise under heavy acceleration but it is not an unpleasant 4 cylinder sound. It cruises effortlessly and quietly. I am very impressed with the interior fit and finish.
    I certainly don't know what "melted" means with respect to the front end. It's not a word I would use to describe it. I think it's possible to say the grille is waterfall-like given the 'waves' in the design. But styling is so personal. I have always found it is difficult to judge a car's looks from pictures. In person, I find the Sonata to be a handsome and stylish car. I bought silver because I thought it looked best in that color out of my choices. It seems to emphasize the side body sculpting. The dark blue is also a very nice color.

I put on a fair amount of miles today, in city, country, and highway settings...for me it excelled in all and brought back some pleasure to driving. (I had been driving a Camry, and have owned Hondas, Audis, VWs, Acuras, and a BMW.)
    And for the Sonata, that's NOW! I am glad to see the 2011 Sonata has (finally) folding side mirrors for NA. :D Might be reason enough to trade my 2007 for a new one.

Or probably not. :sick:

Would have been nice though if Hyundai had put the turn signals on the mirrors of ALL trims, not just the Limited. I mean, how much can that safety feature cost, since the mirrors are electrically wired anyway?
    turn signals on mirrors is a safety feature? I thought it was one of those things they did because it was cool looking. I would think most people in front of you could just as easily see the turn signal in front of the car as see the side mirrors. So to me, seems like more of a cool thing to have than a must have.

I do agree it would be nice to have on all trims.

One thing I'd like is to be able to add the sunroof to the SE trim without having to add the navigation system or be able to choose body colored grille on the SE.
    Since I can't see the turn signals on the mirrors when I'm driving, I consider it a safety feature (for other drivers to see me better) vs. something that is "cool looking." A must have? I've only owned one car with that feature (a Rabbit), so it's obviously not a "must have". But I think an odd thing to put only on the Limited trim, given the feature is becoming more common and this is a 2011 model.

I've not seen any photos yet of the body-colored grill on the GLS. Or the GLS with plastic wheel covers. I doubt Hyundai will be publishing many photos of the base trim. Even in the big e-brochure, I think there was just one GLS photo, a side/rear view. Guess I'll have to wait and see it in person.
    I don't think you have to be able to see it while driving to think it's cool looking. I can't see the front of my car while driving but I think it's cool looking lol. I wonder if they've done any studies on how helpful it is from a safety perspective. You're probably right though on the reasoning for adding it to cars.

You can see the GLS on the main sonata site when selecting that trim. In the build mode, you can see the GLS in any color. I might change my mind on which grille I like better once I see it in person.
    Yes, but it's the GLS with the optional alloys--even if you don't add them. And I don't recall the grille being visible.
    The grille is visible but it's not quite as noticeable with the gray/silver car on the main page. However, you can tell when you switch back and forth. It's definitely noticeable in the other colors when in the build process.
  • kaliforniakkaliforniak Member Posts: 51
    So I went to Tuttle Click Hyundai here in Orange County Southern California and they told me they might get a demo car at the end of this month and it's a model they cannot sell. The sales guy Ali told me they wouldn't have any cars to sell until the middle of the year. That made no sense to me. Good thing I read the forums here and how rich already has the car :)
    The dealer nearest me said they already had 1 in stock. They didn't say what trim but since they quoted $21,800, I assume it was a GLS even though I had inquired about a SE. Another dealer near me had a SE in stock.

It appears at least in Central Indiana that they're trickling in but not many in stock yet.
    Are you suggesting a car salesman lied?? Say it isn't so!! Say it isn't so!!
  • richard38richard38 Member Posts: 3
    Just took delivery of a 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE tonight from Keith Hawthorne Hyundai in Charlotte NC. Only SE in stock-Pearl White. Sticker-$23,650-Options-Pearl White Paint-$200, Floor Mats $100, IPod Cable-$35. Paid less than $22,000 including Hyundai Owner Rebate of $500. Also got 2.9 Financing. Great Dealership-No Ad On's, in and out of the dealer ship in less than 2 hours!
    Looked at Accord EX and Camry SE. Car is far superior to both, larger, better equiped, XM Radio Standard. Offered a unbelievable deal on the Camry SE, but the new Sonata is a much nicer and better equiped car.
  • ksr2ksr2 Member Posts: 1
    Not too many test drive review of the 2011 Hyundai Sonata anywhere online yet so I'll just post my first impressions after taking one for a 15-minute test drive yesterday. It's only my opinion so others may or may not agree. Here's one of the first review that's not out of Korea.

Model Tested: 2011 Sonata Limited without nav

Exterior: Purely personal. I for one really like the exterior styling though the raked rear quarter does impinge on rear seat head room.

Interior: Again very per customer preference but I think it's one of the best interior in the midsize category, better than the CamCord and definitely better than the Fusion. The fit/finish is superb though there are multiple areas of rather hard plastic including the top of the dash above the speedometer/tachometer dials and on the side panels next to the shifters. Can't quite make out whether the dash is electroluminescent or not since the needles do light light up when you start the engine and there's an electroluminescent-like circular display in front of the speedometer and tachometer. There's also an green led "eco" display that comes on when you're miserly on the gas. The front leather seats (heated option) are very firm and comfortable with excellent back support, at least to my body type. The rear seats are also quite comfy and are heated as well but if you're over 5' 11" your head will scrape the roof. Good thigh support for both front and rear seats. The seats are much better than the previous Sonatas, which gave me a huge backache after an hour or so (of course I only spent 15 minutes in the new one so take this with a grain of salt but my back feels much better in the new Sonata for sure)

Performance: Plenty of power for my taste but like most 4 cyclinder, you'll need to rev it to get the horses running. Engine noise is not bothersome and doesn't sound coarse to my rather deaf ears. You'll have to wait for other reviews to see real world mpg. Road noise was more than I expected but definitely a lot quieter than an Accord and probably about the same or just a littel more than a Camry. Again an actual sound meter may help here but there's always a subjective component to noise besides the decibel reading. However, I did notice an annoying rattle emanating from the dashboard through the drive, probably a first-batch issue which will be corrected with time I hope. You'll definitely hear the ruts in the roads though. Steering is very light and it doesn't seem to tighten up much as speed increases. The ride was very comfortable to me. Can't comment on the handling since it was just highway and city streets but let's face it, no one buys family sedans to take to the Indy 500. Well, hope this helps. Just my two cents, probably more like a penny's worth of review but that's my opinion of the 2011 Sonata.