Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
    I`ve ordered a new 2011 Ford Fiesta SE 5 door hatchback and am gambling that Ford had got rid of most of their first year issues with the new N.A. version due to the experience building that vehicle in EU for several years. As far as Hyundai bashers, I was one of the loudest. I owned my first one purchased new in 88` a Hyundai Excel 4 door sedan with auto trans & ac. I kept it 2 years and it was the worst car I ever owned, new or used! It was slower then a moped, and depreciated 75% in just 2 years. Since then, I`ve owned a 06` Hyundai Sonata and a 06` Kia Rio5 and both of these vehicles are among the best cars I have ever owned. They have come "a long way baby"!
  • schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    Ford was my second choice. I believe Ford makes an excellent car. They have made great strides in the past 4 yrs. The Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan are top notch autos along with the Fiesta.
    Good Luck with your new purchase.
  • sanfromvasanfromva Member Posts: 14
    I leased a 2011 Limited Sonata with nav about 4 wks ago. Most of my driving been in the City (Northern VA). I've been averaging 22-23. Want to see what other owners have to say about Idle RPM (mine starts around 2K and stays at 1K). Is it normal?

Another thing I noticed is that the car never went to 6th gear even though I am driving 60-65 mph. Is that normal too. Thanks.
  • rhodiumrhodium Member Posts: 11
    My driving situation is also like yours. I'm in Northern VA too, and 80% local driving (along Route 7) . I have 1600 on my odo and averaging 26-27mpg. But at idle or while at stop RPM drops down to ~700.
  • midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    Another thing I noticed is that the car never went to 6th gear even though I am driving 60-65 mph. Is that normal too. Thanks.

How did you determine that? If it's by dropping into manual shift, the car automatically shifts to 5th when you do that. Watch your RPM when you do that and you'll see them go up.
  • moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    When I am driving at 60 - 65 mph my RPM's are at about 1750-1850.That must be in 6th gear. Check your RPM's at 65mph. They should be under 2000.
  • 2011limited2011limited Member Posts: 30
    As a reference, I see 2150 RPM @ 120KPH/73.5 MPH... which is Amazing for a 4 pot engine. These are V8 numbers... try that in a Honda Accord.

Had my first longish drive on a major highway today.... Very Impressive.

On another note, I had my best compliment of my 1 week of ownership: while picking up my Mom for a Birthday lunch.... some fellow walked up to me and said that was the best looking New LEXUS he had ever seen!

And finally, my insurance rate for my new Limited, Went Down!
    My last ride was a 2010 KIA Forte SX (that's another story), and even though the Sonata is ~ $10,000 More than the KIA, my insurance premium went down! ... By $33.00 a year.....mmmmmmmmm a case of beer.
  • windjammerwindjammer Member Posts: 25
    Since then, I`ve owned a 06` Hyundai Sonata and a 06` Kia Rio5 and both of these vehicles are among the best cars I have ever owned. They have come "a long way baby"!

But....You ordered a new 2011 Ford Fiesta SE 5 door hatchback and am gambling that Ford had got rid of most of their first year issues. Now that's funny
  • mexjohnmexjohn Member Posts: 74
    Want to see what other owners have to say about Idle RPM (mine starts around 2K and stays at 1K). Is it normal?

Mine starts around 1400-1500 cold, then drops to around 7-800 which I feel is about right for any cold car. I always wait for about 1 full minute until it drops on it's own before engaging the trans.
    Yep, you are right..I shifted into manual mode :)
    edited May 2010
    I am around Route 7 too. I am wondering if one of the reason my MPG is low is because RPM stays around 1000 at idle or stops. My car has is about to hit 600 miles mark. I may have to get it checked.

Midas69,
    You're right. I shifted into manual mode to determine which gear I was in.
  • podpod Member Posts: 176
    Is there any projection on when the turbo version of the Sonata will be available for review by the automobile media?
  • markleungmarkleung Member Posts: 44
    I am anxiously waiting for any news on this car. Release date, price, order guide, anything. Please!!!
    My Limited just turned 1700 miles and I filled it up and averaged the last three tanks for mixed driving- 33mpg. Excellent!

Your car does appear to be idling too fast. Take it in and let them adjust it. It should only be between 7-800 when slightly warmed up.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    I am anxiously waiting for any news on this car. Release date, price, order guide, anything. Please!!!

Is September here yet? :D
  • markleungmarkleung Member Posts: 44
    I know you are referring to the anticipated "fall" release date. However, I have already seen order guides for the Mazda2, 2011 Ford Edge, etc., for cars that are supposedly launching after the 2.0T. Come on Hyundai, you can do this. Give it to us now!
  • norm8_lakesnorm8_lakes Member Posts: 41
    Does anyone know where I can find a catalogue for the 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited? Photos or any links.
    Here's a different brochure in PDF
    brochure
  • tuckerdogtuckerdog Member Posts: 29
    I think we bought our cars at the same dealer ( RR TX..correct? ). I'd have to agree that the Hyundai folks are doing a much better job than the Honda or Toyota guys in that group ( I never could get a Toyota salesperson to even acknowledge I was in the showroom ). But the Hyundai guys still have room to improve. The day we bought the car the process took 4+ hours. Too long. I just wanted it to be over. It was a Saturday, so the service dept closes early. There was a problem with the car. The front passenger door would not open from the outside. How could something like that slip by before a car is presented to the buyer? We had to take the car like that & bring it back later for repair. The 1st time we washed the car, I came across several places where tape adhesive was still sticking to the paint ( probably used to hold the protective covers during transport ). I still have an issue with an annoying noise coming from the center console whenever a mildly rough road is driven on. I haven't had a chance to take it in for that fix, so can't comment on how well they'll handle that. They did correct the other issues quickly. I like to feel I can trust a business I deal with. Pay a fair price for a product, and both parties should be happy. But there were these bogus add-ons ( nitrogen in the tires, pin strips, upolstery & paint protectant ) a blatent attempt to cheat a buyer. I guess all dealers do it though. But it sure makes me feel like I gotta watch my back.

Overall, I'm very happy with this car. For the money, nothing touches it. Plus I think it's a great looking car.
  • clasiccarguyclasiccarguy Member Posts: 24
    There was a problem with the car. The front passenger door would not open from the outside. How could something like that slip by before a car is presented to the buyer? We had to take the car like that & bring it back later for repair. The 1st time we washed the car, I came across several places where tape adhesive was still sticking to the paint ( probably used to hold the protective covers during transport ). I still have an issue with an annoying noise coming from the center console whenever a mildly rough road is driven on. :sick:

Sounds like a quality vehicle, along with 1st class service from the Dealer. All this and a great price to boot. Hard to believe isn't it. :shades:
  • larry134larry134 Member Posts: 40
    MY average is 22.1 this is 100% city driving.My idle is 700RPM. When I start the car (cold) it is 2K. Withinin 30 seconds it is at 700rpm. Life with a 4 cynlinder
    Good luck with your FORD. They have been making cars over 100 years!! Hyundai sine 1985, sooner or later the FORD will make a good car!!
    You should have gone to another dealer. By the way, I got FREE pinstripes and door and wheel well edge gaurds free.
    You should have gone to another dealer. By the way, I got FREE pinstripes and door and wheel well edge gaurds free

Shopped 4 dealers from San Antonio to Killeen ( approx 150 miles apart ). Prices were about the same. The S.A. dealer had a leg up on the warranty. They offered ( to people that fit certain criteria ) a lifetime unlimited mileage powertrain warranty. But the RR dealer had the color my wife wanted ( white ), and the others did not. The RR dealer had already put the pin stripes on ( pin stripe tape, not painted on ). We had them remove it. They had also already put on the door & wheel well edge guards as well. Kept those.

The items I mentioned ( nitrogen in the tires, pin stripes-tape-, upholstery & paint protectant ) was listed at ( if I recall correctly ) $1300! By the way, we got a Limited, so the upholstery is leather. I believe the two 'protectants' are completely bogus. The nitrogen in auto tires is of questionable value. But if you want it, it should cost no more than $5 or $6/tire. On the window price tag, it was posted at $80 for the nitrogen. At the VERY beginning of the negotiations, I pointed to that window tag, and told the salesman that ALL those charges needed to vanish. No argument. They just made them go away. So that was a plus that I didn't get pushed to pay for that stuff.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Yeah, I have commented to those guys that the "adder tag" is legacy old school car sellng, and needs to go away. With every car I have bought there over the years, negotiations started with "Okay, first off, we drop the add-ons". Now they don't even try!

Odd about the door. Do you think it may have had something to do with the recall that occurred right after the Sonata was introduced? I seem to recall that it was about a door latch issue.

BTW, that service department has a mechanic/technician named Jeff that knows more about Hyundai than most dealers would have if you combined all the mechs into one. He may not seem friendly all the time, but he is awsome to watch work, and is an artisan when it comes to turning wrenches. Most of the guys in the service department have been there for many, many years.

A big clue is that one of the business managers has some really nice collectables. Jeff is the one who works on them.

Are you out here in RR? You know that is one of the bigger Hyundai dealers in the U.S.? Penske owns it.
  • jaimzjaimz Member Posts: 15
    I've noticed, on very windy days, that I can feel the wind on the foot rest (where your left foot sits)....as if the bottom of the car is scraping against the road. I've only noticed this on windy days. Weird.

So, honestly, this is the first complaint I have on the Sonata. I love my car....but what the hell is this???

Anyone else notice this.
  • kfdmedkfdmed Member Posts: 130
    edited May 2010
    "BTW, that service department has a mechanic/technician named Jeff that knows more about Hyundai than most dealers would have if you combined all the mechs into one. He may not seem friendly all the time, but he is awsome to watch work, and is an artisan when it comes to turning wrenches. Most of the guys in the service department have been there for many, many years.'

What use is this?
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Other poster was discussing an early service issue he had with his Sonata. I was merely pointing out that the dealership he purchased from had a top notch mechanic.
  • shot_mosshot_mos Member Posts: 24
    The day we bought the car the process took 4+ hours.

Same here, but in Houston.
    Come on Hyundai, you can do this. Give it to us now!

You know, Hyundai already has a 2.0T option for the Genesis Coupe. Wonder if the engines are identical? If Sonata sales start to lag, I wouldn't be surprised if the 2.0T got fast tracked.
  • hmma007hmma007 Member Posts: 19
    There will be some improvements associated with the turbo models that will make members of the Hyundai family very happy...... I wish I could share them with you... I'll just say the turbo Sonata is very, very, very fun to drive.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    No, the engines aren't identical. The turbo in the Sonata will be GDI and will make a lot more power than the Genesis' 210 horses.

I don't see Sonata sales lagging any time soon, but who knows...
    Good for you, white is a very nice color. My silver came with a grayish black pin stripe which looked good on the car and with no extra charge for the stripes and guards I keep both. By the way, what the hell does nitrogen in the tires benifit over good old american air.
    Update for MPG. Just took my car to Danbury Ct. about 50 miles, 37mpg to Danbury, 43 mpg back home. Just goes to show that trip to Danbury was mostly up hill while drive home was just the opposite. Set cruise at 63 MPH. Wonderful!!
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    Hey hmma007 -

I'm very pleased with my Limited, although the turbo would have been nice.
    Can you give us any insight to the reports of an improved horn?

When I use it.... :blush: embarrassing!
    I know that there won't be a recall, but if Hyundai comes out with a new horn, I would gladly pay for the upgrade. It's really the only downer on an otherwise great experience.
    Akio Toyoda admits "Hyundai is coming up" with the Sonata and questions his company's old model of building beige cars like the Camry.
  • audirs4audirs4 Member Posts: 13
    edited May 2010
    I'm not sure why anybody would complain about buying a car on a busy Saturday afternoon and it taking 4 hours.

Customers are 1/2 the problem and they want to haggle just as much and try to get everything they can and squeeze people.

And the dealer wants to sell as many add ons as possible. So everybody has their part in the car buying process.

Go in their on Tueday at 10 am,. and you'll probably get in and out a lot quicker.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    what the hell does nitrogen in the tires benifit over good old american air.

I dont' know but I hear they have pretty decent air up in Canada too! ;)

I have two vehicles with nitrogen in tires bought/installed at Costco. There was no extra charge but I'm sure it's built into the overall price as everything is. Didn't really have any feelings on it one way or the other at the time but I am now a convert. Tires on the SUV went on in Sept 08 and on my truck in Mar of 09 and I think I've added air to a couple of them once. I check occassionally as well as insist they are checked at oil changes. Pretty amazing as I used to have to add air regularly with the old tires. Maybe it's the tires, maybe it's the way they were mounted versus the original equipment but it's been a very nice experience not to have to add air hardly at all.

From what I've read, the nitrogen molecules are bigger so they don't seep out as easy. Pure nitrogen is also supposed to make your tires run slightly cooler which helps in tire wear and doesn't attract or retain moisture as well as the oxygen does. Not selling nitrogen and don't think it's worth anywhere near what some crappy dealers want to charge but for a few bucks a tire I think it's well worth it.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    When I purchased my '11 Sonata, it was 6:30PM on a Thursday and it took 3.5 hours. I was the only new customer there at the time. There was one other couple who were picking up a car they bought the day before, and even after they left it was a good 2 hours before I was finally done and out the door.
    From what I've read, the nitrogen molecules are bigger so they don't seep out as easy.

That's the theory. However, air is already 80% nitrogen. When tires leak down, oxygen and trace gases with small molecule size leak out first. After you add air 2 or 3 times, you should have over 98% nitrogen and other trace gases with bigger molecules.
    edited May 2010
    Can you give us any insight to the reports of an improved horn?

I think they're retrofitting and using these guys:

Hyundai's New Horn Supplier
  • denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    edited May 2010
    Took mine to Fairfield CT, about 55 miles away, 2 in the car, got 42 mpg, going back got 36 mpg, so going back was more hills. Not bad. See what happens next trip down.
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    edited May 2010
    Funny... :P

but not helpful ;)
    edited May 2010
    Odd about the door. Do you think it may have had something to do with the recall that occurred right after the Sonata was introduced? I seem to recall that it was about a door latch issue.

They told me this car was traded from another dealer in another state. The other dealer did whatever was supposed to be done to correct the early door latch problem, but apparently did it incorrectly. They fixed it. I just think it should have been caught before the car was turned over to me.

I want to say, I may be leaving the impression I'm not happy with this dealership. On the contrary. When compared with all the others I shopped ( not just the other Hyundai dealers, but the Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Mazda & Ford ), these guys were by far the best. Now they weren't perfect. But had I bought another car at another dealer, would things have been better??? We'll never know.

BTW, that service department has a mechanic/technician named Jeff that knows more about Hyundai than most dealers would have if you combined all the mechs into one. He may not seem friendly all the time, but he is awsome to watch work, and is an artisan when it comes to turning wrenches. Most of the guys in the service department have been there for many, many years.

I'll be asking for him when I take it back for the noise problem. Thanks

Are you out here in RR? You know that is one of the bigger Hyundai dealers in the U.S.? Penske owns it.

I'm in GT.i>
    I'm not sure why anybody would complain about buying a car on a busy Saturday afternoon and it taking 4 hours.

Customers are 1/2 the problem and they want to haggle just as much and try to get everything they can and squeeze people.

And the dealer wants to sell as many add ons as possible. So everybody has their part in the car buying process.

Go in their on Tueday at 10 am,. and you'll probably get in and out a lot quicker.

The only real haggling that took place was over the price of my trade. That took all of 15-20 minutes. What took all afternoon was waiting for a turn with the finance guy. Well over two hours waiting just to get a chance to sign the paperwork. If Saturday is so busy, they need to get a 2nd finance guy on duty. Most of the rest of the time was them prepping the car.

10 A.M. Tuesday, we're working.
  • mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    I'm glad I have waited thus far in getting a new car.

In fact, I may just buy a used one, if I do at all, and I'll probably pass on the Sonata.

I have been watching the forums over at hyundaiforums for a while, and there are many, many complaints about rattles in dozens of places on the 2011 Sonata.

Two things drive me crazy about cars and undermine my confidence in feeling that I am driving a piece of quality oriented engineering: suspension noises and rattles.

The 2011 is far from unusual in terms of even new cars displaying rattles on less than perfect roads - I've seen Accord, Fusion, Altima and Toyota Avalon owners complain of rattles more and more lately.
  • Nitrogen in the tires is another dealer assist...they don't make much money on a new car sale, no matter what, so sale add-ons are important. Years ago, it was undercoating. Then it was rustproofing. Then it was "clearcoat (wax)." Or how about fake wood appliques for the interior? Whether or not these things had any utility, you were often charged through the nose (hundreds of dollars extra), and here and there, the dealer made a few bucks more.

It is a fact that air is mostly nitrogen, and it is a fact that most tires that have working valves and a decent rim seal when installed do not need to have air added regularly. So if they throw "nitrogen" in the sale (like sometimes they did with "clearcoat,") take it. But don't pay more than a couple bucks extra for something you can get free or almost free if you check.
  • Most new cars, no matter the make, are pretty much rattle free. You will of course find the odd example of most makes that has a rattle. (You will also find that in some rare cases the rattle is caused by something the owner is carrying somewhere in the car.) Rattles are not a big issue in most new cars in recent years. If you have one, the dealer needs to isolate it and fix it.
  • xmechxmech Member Posts: 90
    OMG... the nitrogen monster is back! I'm 99% sure the only reason N2 started being used in tires was when they us split-rim wheels, that have a greased o-ring between, like on airplanes. They use much higher pressures and reach higher temperatures, and I guess there is enough oxygen in them to react with the grease and kablooey! It has happened.

Can't speak for truck and other split-rim applications. I imagine it could be a safety issue there, too.

Maybe if you REALLY race (Not think you're racing) the tiny difference in heat expansion ( if any) could make a tenth of a second difference in your lap time, maybe...if you are that good, and that consistant. But I don't think it'll make an appreciable difference when you're flooring it to beat the other guy with a fart muffler to the next red light.

I would never waste my money on it. Sorry for the rant...happy roads! :shades: