Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    edited June 2010
    mommyt, I think you want Hyundai to call you personally, and admit the car was defective and dangerous. That's not the way it works, and you shouldn't take it personally. When they get reports like yours, they have umpteen departments that have to investigate it. The gears turn slowly, and their lawyers will never allow them to admit fault. That's why the NHSTA has a clearinghouse. You did the right thing, but don't hold it against the auto maker (whether it's Hyundai, Ford, or Toyota etc.) Blame it on the US government and the tort system, which make an impossible environment for even the best intentioned car makers to function in a friendly, personal way with their customers.

I'm on your side dear. I have no doubt something happened to you, and I know how frustrating it is trying to get info out of lawyered-up Corporations. I have a feeling that even Hyundai is on your side more than you know, but chances are slim you'll ever hear it from them.
  • keyman2keyman2 Member Posts: 78
    READ THIS POST I'VE FOUND AMONG MANY POSTS I'VE FOUND ON THE HYUNDA FORUMS.

LOOK AT THIS POST ON Hyundai Forums,I LOVE THE SONATA BUT IT WORRIES ME..

I decided to look in a different direction and not purchase one because of this issue. The first time I drove an SE the pull/drift was very noticeable, especially while braking. I decided to drive a gls and then a limited, didn't notice the pull but could feel the road too much, didn't feel like a new car to me.
    I'm presently researching, yet again, other cars, will probably stay with the brand I've been with for many years now. But you will find something wrong with each one, just depends on what is acceptable and where you drive it the most. With my son going to college 3 hours north and my daughter wanting to go 3 hours south, I need something that stays on the highway without effort.
  • schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    edited June 2010
    If your husband and son switched seats I must assume the car was stopped or parked as you stated. Can you tell me what your son took video of since the car was parked and the failure had alreasdy occured. I was under the impression the video you have was taken during the failure which would show the vehicle going out of control. Sorry but now I am really confused.
    And where is your Sonata now? Did the Dealer sell it as used or new? Just curious but do you live in a state that requires a title for xferring an auto?
    Tire pressure is critical with low profile tires. I have no pull issue with my SE and neither do my friends with their Limited and GLS. I'm speaking of at least 13 Sonatas purchased by my friends at the Club. If you really like the Sonata I would try a different Dealer for a test drive and make sure tire pressure is correct. Also make sure you are not test driving a car from mommyt's dealer. We all know he has a stack of bad vehicles.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The video was of the steering wheel shaking AFTER the car was stopped--that was made clear earlier. The other report on a similar incident, on the NHTSA web site, noted the steering wheel shook after the car was stopped also.
  • ins0mn1acins0mn1ac Member Posts: 4
    I asked in a post before if $1795 is a reasonable price for the platinum HPP extended warranty with zero deductible for 10yr/100K. Then I realized that different people may have purchased different levels of coverage that may be misleading. So, I request anyone in this forum who purchased the Hyundai extended warranty to please post here what they paid for what level of coverage (gold/platinum etc., year/miles). Thanks very much for all your help.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Do you know for a fact that Hyundai will not take such action because of the expense, or is that your opinion?

Let me state this. Several years ago my 7 year old 130K+ mile Elantra developed a cracked exhaust manifold. This was due t0 Hyundai getting a batch of bad ones at the time my car was made. Hyundai fixed it for no cost without me even asking.

I have heard a few other stories about Hyundai that makes me think that they will try to fix a known problem.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    My 2001 Elantra was covered under that extended warranty also--and my sister (sold it to her a few years ago) got a new manifold for free recently, after nearly 10 years.

Also, my 2004 Elantra was recalled for a problem with the gas filler tube. I don't know if my car actually had a problem, but a lot of cars were affected by the recall. There have been other Hyundai recalls that affected quite a few cars. Consider that in the early days of the 2011 Sonata, Hyundai recalled all made to date because of a problem with the power lock switch--door wouldn't open if the "lock" button were held down. :confuse: So this kind of history leads me to believe Hyundai would recall a car with a serious problem with the steering.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    After the Toyota fiasco, and how they handled it, I doubt any of the major manufacturers would risk a cover-up. It can be more costly than a recall. I believe that if Toyota hadn't taken so long, they'd have had fewer people in panic mode. As it was, news about the issue was leaking out, and people freaked out.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    Huh????? SPAM! :mad:
  • moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    Thank you very much for nothing and you have a good life. It was nice hearing from you again,and maybe you can post again next year.
  • mbzxmbzx Member Posts: 9
    I purchased 2011 Sonata SE 4 days ago from a dealer in MD and drove back home (NJ) driving about 180 miles. It was the most exciting time I have ever had in driving a family car. The acceleration was unbelievably smooth for a 4 banger and it was just the best highway driving machine that's way better than my 2008 ML320 that I drove there to pick it up. The car is so much fun and exciting to drive and it easily accelerates to 80-100 MPH if you don't watch your speed. I was a little apprehensive about the decision to go with 2011 Sonata due to some persistent negative comments here but now I am a convert to Hyundai for life. My next purchase will not be a Merc but Hyundai. :)
  • jasony79jasony79 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2010
    It would actually take you 4 years at 10,000 miles/year with the federal tax credit. If you're looking at it strictly from a frugal point of view, which is likely for many GLS buyers, the hybrid would actually make more sense if you can tolerate the smaller trunk space.

$25k-$3.4k = $21.6k. A base automatic with nothing added on is $20,195. $21,600-$20,195 = $1,405. At 38mpg for 10,000 with $3/gal, you pay $789 a year. At 26mpg for 10,000 with $3/gal, you pay $1,154 a year. $1,154-$789 = $365. $1,405/$365 = 3.85 years. That's about 4 years with interest accrued. If you drove it for 10 years, you'd save over $2k.

The negative impacts to the environment are far less in the life cycle of a hybrid.
    Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKnNEVdtzi4
    Just remember that you have 6 more months to get that federal tax credit and the Sonata Hybrid isn't out yet. There is going to be a mighty small window to get that credit.

• mommytmommyt Member Posts: 42
    I didn't say that they wouldn't fix it. I said that they are not going to contact their customers and ask them to bring the car in to make sure that it doesn't have the same problem as mine did!
    I know this for a fact, because I requested that they do that and they told me that it would be too much of an expense. I even suggested that they check for the defect when the customers bring the car in for a service. This way they don't have to tell the customer that there is a possible problem. They told me that there is no reason to do that because it is an isolated issue! I asked both the Dealership and Hyundai and got the same answer from both! They just don't care. :(
    You have to go to them....they aren't going to voluntarily contact you unless they do a recall. :surprise:
    Seriously?
    Why do you continue to ask questions that have already been answered over and over? :confuse:
    We all know that you aren't having a problem with your car, and that's great!
    We all know that you think that what happened to me and my family was made up. Now you are upset because more people are reporting the same issue and it is just eating at you. You will never admit that you were wrong about me and this whole situation. There are people out there that will make things up just to get you going, but I am not one of them. :shades:
    Comments that just say "spam" are as annoying as the spam itself. Just sayin'.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Thank you so much. It's nice to know that someone understands my view of this. :)
    It is frustrating and hurtful to know that people could possibly be injured and they won't or can't tell anyone what is going on. It is making me crazy! :P
    I hope Hyundai is on my side. It would be nice if they would call me back like they said they would. I hope that they didn't just dismiss what happened. I get the feeling that they did dismiss it because they didn't follow up with us.
    I don't expect them to admit that the car is defective and dangerous. I do expect them to at least check and make sure that everyone was safe by at least admitting that there were some defective parts that may have slipped through. But they won't because of the repercussions.
    It is a fabulous car, and I hope this is the last issue they will have with it.
    It was my first brand new car. I didn't know how the system worked. It is what it is, but I don't have to agree with it.
    :D I am very new to this internet stuff. This is the first time I have joined a forum. I am learning the hard way with this too.
    We're going to put a close to this line of conversation, barring additional information. It's gotten beyond the point where it's useful to anyone, and if we continue, it'll all end in tears.

All of the info I have (and I have slightly more) indicates that mommyt DID experience a traumatic accident in her Hyundai Sonata, and something was amiss.

As there is no way to verify additional reports, I'm going to ask that we not post allegations of other incidents or potential defects unless new, verifiable info becomes available. If that happens, we can continue, but mommyt has apparently posted all the info she's comfortable posting, and further exhortations to divulge more info aren't likely to produce a different result.

Thank you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

I want to thank you for all of your help. I also wanted to let you know that the video is on youtube under the title of: My 2011 Hyundai Sonata Steering Problem. At least everyone will now know that it is true. Thanks again :)
  • alookmanalookman Member Posts: 141
    I compared 2010 Accord EX, 2010 Fusion 2010 Altima 2.5 S and 2011 Sonata GLS/SE. Decided on Sonata SE and I am waiting for one.

All are very nice cars with the pros and cons and it eventually comes down to the overall balance of safety, value, features, warranty, performance, styling, and reliability that decided my choice.

As for prices, all of them are very close in pricing, if you bargain hard enough. Accord EX 4cyl sedan A/T is discounted to $21k, 2.5 S Altima at $22-23k with convenience pkg. 01+02, Fusion SE with pkg 202A w/sunroof and Sync at $20,600 after 2k rebates and Sonata SE around $21k+.

I liked the performance and dynamics of all the 4 cars, though I liked Accord second best for its comfort, steering and overall balance and smooth 190HP engine.

I picked Sonata SE for its warranty, fuel mileage, safety, ergonomics and its great styling and good driving experience (198HP). SE has much better suspension and its steering is more precise than GLS!

I wish Sonata had few features like rear AC vents like Accord EX, FOB button to roll down windows like Accord and Altima has, and few more but I will enjoy the USB/XM radio, the blue tooth, and 27 MPG.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    edited June 2010
    Kristie,

Didn't see your request. Please delete!.
    Thank you Kirstie for putting a close to this conversation. This was just going round and round with no end in sight.
    You stated...".I think you want Hyundai to call you personally, and admit the car was defective and dangerous". I replied to that statement.
    I feel it is important to warn everyone. At least they won't feel so alone and "isolated" if something does happen. It is happening to others. What if you happened to be number 5 or 6 out of 100,000?
    Hey, this is a hot selling car with lots of interest from members in the Forums. I am SURE we can find other aspects of this vehicle (and the upcoming turbo) to discuss!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Stop. Really. I mean it. Posts will go "poof."

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• toysaxtoysax Member Posts: 28
    I drove my Limted about 500 miles since I got it..Yesterday I drove about 150 miles. *80% hiway... at average 70mph with airconditioning on. MPG was about 32.
    No rattles, no squeeks no drama.. Guy at the bank drive in said it looks like a Mercedes from the side.....
    edited June 2010
    I thought this article would be of interest to any car owner with EPS.
    http://www.aa1car.com/library/steering_power_electric.htm

Please note the recall by GM at the bottom of the article.

It appeares to me that a defective electronic sensor can result in a steering wheel oscillating similar to the video shown on Youtube. Replacing the steering column would fix the issue since it contains all the electronics.
    Well first off I was responding to what Backy said not what you said.

Secondly, now don't take this the wrong way but I am taking your story with more than just a few grains of salt.

• jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    Sorry about that! I did not intend to annoy. I shall ignore the spam in the future.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Hyundai released the alignment specs for the Sonata in a TSB 10-SS-008 this month. Not much to see, though. It just tells the technician how to access the online database that gives the detail for the car.

No numbers shown in the TSB.
  • skdriverskdriver Member Posts: 9
    If you check my posting #3513 (June 22)- on a long trip I averaged just above 33 mpg/US gal on my Limited - this is terrific mileage and likewise I am completely happy with the vehicle, Certainly received a lot of comments on the style, color combo (Venetian Red/Camel),
    I have about 8000 km (5000 mi) with no complaints.
    Good luck with yours !
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    Glad to hear you enjoying your new Sonata so far.. I have about 14,100 miles already and no complaints yet - the only things I've taken it into the shop for are oil changes. I cannot believe how many random people come up and comment about how nice the car is too. Since I got mine, 2 other people on the same block also got them - a red GLS and a white SE. I think they were jealous ;)
  • toysaxtoysax Member Posts: 28
    I have found a disbelief that this could be a Hyundai from people. Nobody expects this kind of style, inside or out... and since theyre not shoipping cars.. theyre not aware of the safety ratings,awards, accolades projected increased value at resale,low insurance costs resulting from all of that . I am very pleased that not only did I purchase a car that is pleasing to the eye(in my opnion), but meets my needs on every other level.
    By the way.. for any of you that have "smart phones" such as the iphone or droid... try downloading a free app called Pandora. It is a free digital radio station that allows you to make you own channels based on your personal music preference. Almost eliminates the need for XM!
  • alexupalexup Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2010
    The description is "Ignition Wiring". I have not had any issues.....I really enjoy this car and still receive lots of praises. I scheduled an appointment with service for tomorrow morning to address the recall.
  • travelady605travelady605 Member Posts: 13
    Me too, have a venetian red/camel Ltd with Nav now 2 months old....best car I have owed. Now have 4200 miles took the car last wk from NJ to NH great gas miles . One way trip was about 435 miles but averaged about 535 per tank.....didn't have to stop to fill up, got about 32.5 on trip up and return was doing about 33.5 to 36.5. Very impressed. This car is turning heads and even impressed my friends who are BMW owners. This is my 3rd Sonata between 2000 - 2011, very happy !
    I'm waiting for a call from my Service Mgr to get info on the TB3 recall.
    I went to the following website but it is not listed. Will post if I get any new info.
    http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/1_hyundai_recalls.htm
    edited July 2010
    My service mgr called and said he can't find any recall on the 2011 Sonata titled ignition wiring. Can you please give me more info so I can get back to him.
    Thanks.
    I received a post card in the mail from my Hyundai service dept. informing me of this recall. I called service to verify and they told me the #TB3 is for the "ignition wiring" which needs to be rerouted to the switch. The #096 is for the door handles recall. I hope this helps!
    edited July 2010
    Do you have a 2011 GLS, SE, or Limited?
    2011 Limited
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    I think there was an ignition wiring recall issued a few months back, however if I'm remembering correctly it only effects vehicles built in March or earlier.
    That's interesting because my Serv Mgr has a Limited purchased in Feb and he only knows of the door lock recall. He's calling Hyundai tomorrow. I will keep you posted.
    I also called several of my friends who have the Limited and so far they heard nothing. However it's too early to say they won't get a notice.
    My serv mgr who also owns a 2011 Sonata Limited called Hyundai and he said they know nothing about an ignition wiring recall as of 12noon ny time today. Please let us know when you bring your car in what"s going on. We appreciate any info you post.
    Thank You
  • denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    I also own a Limited that I took delivery of April 8. It was built March 23. I have not received any recall either.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I bought a 2011 gls in may. Has 750 miles and I am experiencing a creaking sound coming from somewhere in the back and under the car. When I am at a stop and start up I will hear a creaking sound. Bringing it in on tues but didn't know how common this was.
    edited July 2010
    I too have a Limited built on March 24th. No recall on that.
  • alookmanalookman Member Posts: 141
    If the gas savings are 365/ yr for hybrid over gas engine than for 10 years shouldn't it be $3,650?

The only problem is that hybrid will be so hot that folks will pay premium and make it less attractive an option.

You didn't compute the higher sales tax between 25k and 20k for GLS! Frankly GLS with PEP 01 is for that price. What will be trim level on hybrid? The picture of hybrid at NY Auto Show is at LTD trim level. Also wonder how small will the trunk be?