Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• nyg4444nyg4444 Member Posts: 2
    haha sorry... i guess that is important... I live in California :shades:
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited August 2010
    See, that's what I mean. Chicago sales tax is 9.75%. I live in a suburb which charges, I believe, 7.5%. Over $500 sales tax difference on a $25k car. I think LA has a somewhat similar situation where the sales tax is higher than surrounding suburbs/counties. That's why listing out the whole deal is a lot more helpful on a national forum.
  • njgreggnjgregg Member Posts: 39
    Check out true car dot com and enter the specifics of the car you want and they will tell you the closest three certified dealers from your zip code that will offer you guaranteed rock bottom pricing., before tax,tags and doc fees.
  • jliles528jliles528 Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2010
    Hello,

I am in the market for a new car, since the lease on my 2008 Honda Accord EX-L (4 cyl, no nav) will be ending soon. I test drove the Sonata Limited and was very impressed. It's the top contender so far, but now I am trying to decide whether going for the navigation system is worth it or not. I can't seem to find a manual for the nav system anywhere, so I was hoping some of you who own the car equipped with it could answer some questions for me. Since I will be leasing again, I cannot make permanent modifications to the vehicle after the sale, so aftermarket options would be very limited.

How sophisticated is the voice control? Are you easily understood? I am also very interested in what other aspects of the car can be controlled by voice. I've read some audio functions can be controlled by voice but I've seen no details of exactly what you can do. Can you tell the system to tune to a particular radio station, for example?

Are the audio controls easy to use while driving?

Does the routing make sense? My garmin sometimes sends me on bizarre routes that actually take longer than the route I'd normally use. Is the POI database large? Does it let you avoid certain types of routes like toll roads? How well does XM traffic work?

Can a passenger use the system while the car is in motion?

One of the things that appealed to me was the addition of the backup camera. How well does that work? Is it video only or (like on some cars) is there an audible signal as well as you get closer to an object?

How well does bluetooth audio streaming work? Can you see the number of the person calling on the nav screen if your phone is paired?

I would really appreciate any help that you can give me. While I normally wouldn't buy the nav system because I have a portable one, the extra features available might make it worth the cost for me.

If anyone has a link to the nav/audio system manual in PDF form I would also really appreciate it. On the Hyundai site it seems you already have to own the car tpo be able to download it. Seems silly to me, because this info would answer a lot of questions for prospective buyers like me.

J
  • johnwhojohnwho Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2010
    jlilies528 -

How sophisticated is the voice control?

About the same, for Nav, as my previous Garmin 850.

Are you easily understood?

About the same once you've "trained" it. Also varies depending on background noise level.

I am also very interested in what other aspects of the car can be controlled by voice. I've read some audio functions can be controlled by voice but I've seen no details of exactly what you can do.

Voice can control to some extent: FM/AM radio - XM radio - CD - MP3 - USB MP3 - USB Image - iPod - the Nav system - Phone (when paired)

Can you tell the system to tune to a particular radio station, for example?

Yes - both AM and FM (Ex. "FM frequency 99.1" should tune to FM 99.1)

Are the audio controls easy to use while driving?

Yes. Channel pre-sets up/down, vol up/down/, and mode change can be done on the steering wheel.

Does the routing make sense?

Mostly. I've had a Garmin and a Mio and all three have minor routing quirks. I'm not sure any Nav system is "quirk free".

Is the POI database large?

Even after I updated the maps on the Garmin it still wasn't 100% in my local area, and neither is the Sonata Nav. I'm not sure the number of POi's, but if it helps, the Nav System is by https://www.mapnsoft.com/default.asp

Does it let you avoid certain types of routes like toll roads?

Yes.

How well does XM traffic work?

If you are in an area that it covers, it will give an audible and video display of a traffic problem/delay. The XM site shows the coverage areas in the US.

Can a passenger use the system while the car is in motion?

Yes. So can the driver, so be careful.

One of the things that appealed to me was the addition of the backup camera. How well does that work?

Full color video with what they term a "Parking Guide system". Ask your dealer to demonstrate.

Is it video only or (like on some cars) is there an audible signal as well as you get closer to an object?

Video only

How well does bluetooth audio streaming work?

Some folks say it is great while others report it being problematic. Mostly the problem may be with the device your are "pairing". I've got a iPod Touch that connects very well with the Hyundai cable and have no reason to use the Bluetooth aspect so can't help you with this.

Can you see the number of the person calling on the nav screen if your phone is paired?

The incoming call will cause the "phone" screen to be displayed, if I recall. Don't recall it showing up on the Nav screen. You can "answer" the call by pressing the "call" button on the steering wheel. You can then go back to the Nav screen if you need it and continue with your phone call.

I would really appreciate any help that you can give me. While I normally wouldn't buy the nav system because I have a portable one, the extra features available might make it worth the cost for me.

If anyone has a link to the nav/audio system manual in PDF form I would also really appreciate it. On the Hyundai site it seems you already have to own the car tpo be able to download it. Seems silly to me, because this info would answer a lot of questions for prospective buyers like me.

I would recommend you go to your Sonata dealer and ask to look at one of the Nav System Manuals. That should answer many of your questions. I haven't found it in pdf either.

Hope that helps.
  • propwash49propwash49 Member Posts: 38
    I heard a blurb on TV this afternoon saying that the federal government (I don't know if it's the DOT, NHTSA or some other department) is going to "open a case" on steering problems on the 2011 Sonata. They said that this is NOT a recall (at least not yet) but there has been a sufficient number of complaints brought up that they feel it warrants further investigation. I can't remember all the numbers for sure, but I think they said it only affects cars built before March of 2010. I think they even mentioned the number of vehicles affected, but I didn't catch that number. It will be interesting to see how this story develops.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    Not sure which is worse... a camry that goes 50 mph over the speed limit on its own, but that you can steer, OR a sonata that stays at the speed limit but steers on its own. Accord owners are chuckling, either way, eh? I still maintain you all owe mommyt one big apology.
  • jparks8jparks8 Member Posts: 19
    And I can't find a steering problem! I consistently get 5.6L/100 km on the highway which is better than printed. Love the car.

I do have a slight concern. With the manual, I got standard steel tire rims and hubcaps. When the snow falls, I intended to buy snow tires and put them on the steel rims and purchase alloy rims for the sumer tires. The problem is I can't find 16"/6.5 alloy rims available anywhere including the Hyundai dealer! I would prefer an after-market rims but that size is rare or never made.
  • schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    It appears that apologies are in order for Mommyt. According to my Dealer a specific number of GLS models manufactured in a specific month may have either a manufacturing or componet defect causing the PS problems seen and reported here and in other Forums. I was advised to continue driving with no fear of having this problem and Hyundai will be quick in resolving this issue.
    According to the article the problem arises around 650 miles of driving or less.
    Just sit tight!
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    I still maintain you all owe mommyt one big apology.

Apparently you missed the following text in the article:

"There have been no injuries or accidents reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration or Hyundai regarding the steering issue, government and company officials said."

If that's true, then it would add additional credence that mommyt's story continues to be difficult to believe. Additionally, mommyt indicated that the wheel jerked to the side and could not be moved back. Not exactly the same as a decoupling issue, where the wheel would presumably move freely but have no effect on the actual steering.
  • maringamaringa Member Posts: 36
    I thought that we would hear by now when the turbo's are coming out....I was hoping to see it on the Sonatas and on the Tucsons...
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    From what I've read a total of 16,300 Sonatas are being evaluated, but there have only been 2 incidents(vehicles have been repaired) reported. Hardly worth mentioning in my book, but maybe their just being cautious.
  • connecticut2connecticut2 Member Posts: 41
    I am currently driving the Passat and one feature that I really like on it is the ability to tighten up the steering when the car is traveling at high speeds that makes you feel like you;re in a sort of a capsule. I believe the Accords have the same feature, but I did not feel the 2011 Sonata did when I test drove it. Did I just miss it?

Thanks..
  • 2011limited2011limited Member Posts: 30
    This 'problem' Has NOTHING To Do With The 'mommyt' event.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    edited September 2010
    I bought a new 2011 Hyundai GLS automatic. I have close to 600 miles on it. From the day I bought it while driving back from the dealership, there was a pull to the right, so I got the front tires cross rotated. There still seemed to be a pull a little to the left and right. So then I got the front tires rotated to the back and the back tires to the front. The car still has no control at highway speeds. The steering has no feel or control.

It feels like as if the car is all over the place. The car cannot go straight at all. What could be the problem? Any feedback would be highly appreciated. I am constantly adjusting the steering so that the car goes straight. The steering wanders. Is this normal?
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    They go over 50 mph for all drivers over 60 who have memory lapses of how to out a car in neutral.

FYI........
    And why should they have to put them in neutral in the first place?
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Have you let the dealer check the alignment, or the manufacture date to see if it falls into the period of vehicles that are being inspected for loose couplings in the steering shaft?

Regarding those steering shaft couplings. Everybody uses them, all brands. From reading the information released by various sources, and the tightly identified span of vehicles affected, I would wager that on some day, on a specific line at the factory, there was an assembly torque wrench that was malfunctioning. These couplings have very specific torque settings, and while they do have some overhead for excess tightening, you can sure strip one out. And if they are not fully torqued down, they can allow play between the two shafts. Been there, done that.

On the dark side, you don't want one of those things to come off. They hold the various shafts between the steering wheel and rack together. On the bright side, they really have to be screwed up (broken) for that to happen. More common is that they are loose and allow excess play in the coupling. Either way, if Hyundai can identify what time period and "lot" of vehicles went down that line, they are being very responsible and correct in checking those cars. Easy to correct, and not expensive at all.
    edited September 2010
    After getting my front tires crossed and then moving the front tires to the back and back tires to the front, I took a highway test drive. The car still pulls to the right. I have a feeling, its either the alignment or mechanical issue. I will take into the dealer soon and see what happens. Its frustrating, but lets see what happens. Could be a case of torque steer?
    Torque steer only happens when you gun it and then for a very short period....like a second or two. Driving at highway speeds you would only feel "torque steer" if you absolutely floored it and then pretty little with the amount of power we're dealing with here. From what I've read the electronic power steering(EPS) doesn't hold a line or track(at least many of them) quite as well as most hydraulic steering systems that people are used to. It may be that it is just something to get used to as most manufacturers are starting to go to EPS because it saves fuel.

Without knowing just how much your car pulls to one side or the other it is a good idea to get it checked out like you're doing.
  • denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    What is the time period?
    My dealer has no info on it yet.
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Have you previously driven a car with electrically powered steering?
    Motor Trend Sonata Steering

In other reports, there were a grand total of 2 documented failures. While ANY loss of steering is unacceptable, this puts the chances of your car having a complete steering loss right up there with being struck by lightening. Twice. On successive Thursdays. ;)
    This is my first time driving a car with EPS. The feel is a lot different. I have driven a Honda Accord before and the steering feedback was way better! From what I have experienced so far, I think its either the alignment or mechanical problem. It's not a bad tire since I have cross rotated the front tires and move them front to back. If it wasn't for this problem, the Sonata is a excellent car!
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Wanted to provide and update on my creaking issue. I met with the regional Hyundai rep and an engineer and they determined I had a deformed/defective gas tank the tank was rubbing against the body if the car causing the creaking. They replaced the gas tank. In addition, they gave me money for gas and the regional rep said he wanted to reimburse me for my trouble by reimbursing me for a months payment. I thought that was a nice gesture. So far my car is silent. My fingers are crossed that this is the final fix.
  • marnick2011marnick2011 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the update. Sounds like Hyundai wants happy customers, and they are trying. Repeat business (we are on our fourth Hyundai) is important to any auto manufacturer, and the way to achieve this is making sure new buyers are satisfied. Word of mouth is important, too. Hope your problem is solved and a " free" month helps to smooth over a frustrating experience. :)
    The money was great, but really looking forward to enjoying my car again.
  • rexgrexg Member Posts: 27
    Many thanks for the update. As I have posted earlier, I think that I have the same creaking issue, but now I am not so sure that it is the same problem. Most often I hear this creaking noise when I step on the gas (from a stop) or when I apply the brakes. But my car's creaking sound seems to be coming from the dash. My problem doesn't seem like it could be coming from the gas tank. Did your noise also seem to be coming from the dash? Was it a surprise to you that it was the gas tank?
    My noise was definitely coming from the gas tank area. The first 2 visits for this problem were addressing the gas tank. The 3rd they just tightened various bolts.
    Speaking from experience, I would have to say that a deformed fuel tank, while not impossible, would have ranked right up there with hearing hoofbeats in Texas and seeing zebras! Not exactly what one would expect, but possible.

I really hope this fixes it. I would have to agree with the above that Hyundai really did want to make you happy. Not sure I would ever see a GM or Ford dealer picking up a tank of gas AND a car payment!

:shades:
    They really did come through. It was also incredible to see the CEO of Hyundai USA to assist me and get involved behind the scenes. Great customer service.
  • mommytmommyt Member Posts: 42
    Are you kidding me! :mad:

I think you should read it again. I said that the wheel jerked to the left and it took all of my strenght to get it over and keep it over to the right because it kept jerking to the left. I was actually lifting myself off of the seat, but I did get it back over.
    I did not say that it could not be moved back! Did you not see the video? You can see my husband move the wheel both to the left and right.

I have been telling the truth and stood my ground throughout all of the badgering.
    You just can not admit that you were wrong...not only about the steering failure, but 100% wrong about me.
    I Thank You. It makes me feel better to know that someone is on my side for once. :blush:
    I understand that it was a hard pill to swallow, since I did aproach it like a darn maniac...LOL! :blush:

Nevertheless, there are a lot of people unwilling to accept the truth. :P

The important issue here is to fix it fast so no one gets hurt. That is what I would like to see come out of it.
    There have been numerous reports, but they are focusing the investigation on two of them. I don't know if one of them is mine, or not. I am just happy that our government does care. ;)
    "Hyundai" stated that they have repaired two. "Hyundai" stated that they received two reports.
    I know that it is hard for you, but try to look beyond what Hyundai stated, and look into the NHTSA complaints. There are more than two.

Shame on you for saying that you don't think its worth mentioning! How would you like it if something bad happened to you and someone said that your safety wasn't worth mentioning? Be careful with what you say. What goes around comes around.
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    edited September 2010
    I got a 2011 Sonata se trust me all it takes is a dealer taking the time to do the alignment mine was doing the EXACT same thing you all are describing. Now it does not pull to the left. Now in being honest seeing there are no power steering pump it is play in the shaft but i say its the alignment no doubt.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Many thanks for the update. As I have posted earlier, I think that I have the same creaking issue, but now I am not so sure that it is the same problem. Most often I hear this creaking noise when I step on the gas (from a stop) or when I apply the brakes. But my car's creaking sound seems to be coming from the dash.

I have also been struggling with this same exact noise (among others). In my case, 90% of the noise is coming from the "crash pads" as Hyundai calls them. These are the side pieces of the lower dash that extend down on either side of the cubby where the aux ports and power ports are. I noticed that when I press on mine they creak loudly.

I believe someone else here on the forum, also having the creaking noise, suggested running a business card with some WD-40 on it through the seams where those pieces meet the main dash. I tried that, however it did not work. While trying this, I noted that the tolerances in the seams were very different. I could easily fit a business card in the seam on the passenger side, but couldn't get it into the seam on the driver's side.

I experimented yesterday with wedging a shim of sorts in the seams where the pieces meet the main dash. So far this has virtually eliminated the creaking when accelerating or stopping (they also no longer creak when I press on them.) I have one shim on each side. I started by inserting one of those "rewards" keychain cards in the seam on each side just to see if it did anything. Once I discovered that worked, I removed those and cut identical sized ones out of a spare, black plastic DVD case. I am running those for a few days to make sure they also work. So far they do. Once I am comfortable they help eliminate the noise, I will trim them so they do not stick out of the dash and leave them in permanently.

With that noise gone, I can move on to my two other major rattles. The rear parcel shelf rattles, and my front passenger seat has started to rattle when no one is sitting in it. The seatback actually visibly vibrates while driving down the road, and the vibration now has a constant ticking noise associated with it. If I press on the seatback with my right elbow while driving, the noise stops.

Incidentally, Hyundai's "felt tape" fix for the rattling glove box also stopped working for me. It started to creak/rattle again as well. I had to put some high density foam pads inside the glove box door where the upper inside corners of the glove box door meet the rubber bumpers molded into the dash side of the glove box. There is simply too much play in that glove box door design.

Quite frankly I am tired of chasing down all of these noises in a brand new car. Only 4,800 miles on the car. We shouldn't have any issues like this. I am on the verge of cutting my losses with this thing and trading it just for my own sanity.
    I think you've discovered what I fear in buying the first year of a completely redesigned model. It's not so much the drivetrain anymore as that used to be a major concern when buying a new model because those seem to be tested well before implementation. It's the little creaks and groans from a completely redesigned interior that uses plastic against plastic everywhere that start to show up after driving the car on the crap roads we have nowadays.

I think it's very hard for the manufacturers to duplicate these conditions for thousands of miles of testing. Especially on a complete redo because they are trying to hide the thing at the same time. When you add in the fact that these are put together on a fairly fast moving assembly line it doesn't suprise that problems like this crop up. Nothing at all agains Hyundai as it occurs with any manufacturer. At the end of the first year and even during they will have thousands of reports from dealer fixes to address all those creaks and groans and start automatically putting fixes in at production and minutely adjusting the molds so that parts don't rub as much.

I guess it's just something that you put up with with a new model and just hope that your particular car is not one of the worst. It's ok to get two or three problems like this fixed but when you have more and they just keep coming they can turn you off to your new car which is a shame.
  • alookmanalookman Member Posts: 141
    edited September 2010
    Great point m6user. I always preferred redesigned brand new models but was burned on 2003 V6 Accord's transmission, it had a defective torque converter, lots of 2003 V6Accords had it. Non of that problem cropped up on later 2004-2007 models. It's always risky to buy a newly redesigned model irrelevant of which brand. Five years is very short period to totally redesign and correct any design flaws. not matter how good a car company is at design & engineering.

I am for that very reason postponing my purchase of Sonata.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    Ohio has very nice roads. Michigan does not. But overall the roads are not "crap" in this country. Try Mexico-- most roads there are more like trails. Uruguay also-- not good.
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    edited September 2010
    Great message to anyone wanting to be first when an new model is built. ..Don't do it! I bought a new model Merceges Benz C class some years ago..it was the worst car I ever owned!! I'm afraid the Sonata will have issues that will take awhile to sort out..creaky noises, steering problems happens at all price points. I do think Hyundia chintzed out not having foldable outside rear view mirrors..my 2009 Civic has them..so does the Accord

I like the look of the Sonata..though that name carries alot of baggage because of their earlier efforts. Good luck.
    edited September 2010
    I've driven in every state in this country including Alaska and Hawaii and 16 other countries. Yes, by and large the roads in this country are crappy in comparison to many others. There are some states that keep their roads up better than others but in general we have deteriorating roads and bridges.
    You must not live in northeastern Ohio. LOL :surprise:
    I'm not saying I would never buy a first year model, just that I should expect naggy problems if I did. If I absolutely needed a new car and I absolutely loved a new model I would go ahead and bite the bullet and just hope that I have only a few such problems. However, if I wasn't in love with a new model and I mean really in love with it, I would avoid it or postpone my purchase.

In other words, it sounded like we are putting down anyone who has made a purchase of a 2011 Sonata and nothing could be further from the truth. I'm just saying these kind of problems should be expected and people shouldn't deny them, call people crazy because they have them or think they made a completely wrong decision because of them.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Looking to the right, it appears the people who have bought the 2011 Sonata to data are by and large pretty happy with them. Some owners have had significant problems, but one has to look at the big picture. There's no perfect car models made today, from what I can tell. Even the best models in the JD Power IQS studies average over 1 defect per car in the first 90 days of ownership--and that's for all models, new designs and old ones. Odds are you WILL have some kind of problem on any new car in its first year of ownership. Some owners are unluckier than others and have multiple problems. :(
    edited September 2010
    I don't know about the 2011 GLS , but the mirrors on the SE and Limited are definitely foldable. Believe it or not, it is one of the reasons we chose a Limited---love those ATMs (and the turn signal lights in the mirror). BTW, foldable mirrors are listed as standard on the GLS, but I can't vouch for that version--only SE and Limited. Sooo--Hyundai did not "chintz" out.
  • mikeyp53mikeyp53 Member Posts: 55
    I read all these complaints abouts squeaks and rattles and am amazed. I have had the car 4 months and 4000 miles including trip from Florida to New Jersey. Never heard a peep from the car. I have zero defects since delivery and will get first oil change next month. Best car I have ever had. Had 14 Ford Taurus's Dodges, Buicks, etc and they all had issues. This 2011 Sonata GLS is perfect. One complaint though is Hyundai paperwork. I am still waiting for the $500 "military rebate" from Hyundai Consumer Affairs.
  • keyman2keyman2 Member Posts: 78
    I was told Sonata 2011 does have foldable outside rear view mirrors.
    Well, I guess I beat the odds in two out of the three cars I own then. Just had first actual repair on our 2002 Infiniti QX4 last week.....resonator(thank god, I thought it was a cat converter) rusted out and they had a kit to repair without replacing. 2007 Mazda6 has about 47K with no repairs to date. And when I say repairs I also mean no dealer adjustments for squeaks etc.

I wholeheartedly agree that one should expect a minor repair of some kind in the first year of ownership and feel lucky if not, but I still firmly believe that you have a better chance of squeaks and ill fitting parts in the first year of major redesign. As far as the owner reviews to the right I have my own theories but thats a whole other discussion. Let's just say I view all of the customer reviews with a grain of salt as they are usually posted by very new owners. I haven't had a new car that I purchased that I haven't absolutely loved at least for the first couple months of ownership.
  • rexgrexg Member Posts: 27
    edited September 2010
    I have also been struggling with this same exact noise (among others). In my case, 90% of the noise is coming from the "crash pads" as Hyundai calls them. These are the side pieces of the lower dash that extend down on either side of the cubby where the aux ports and power ports are. I noticed that when I press on mine they creak loudly.

Thanks for the info. After checking my car, I do think that the crash pads are a major contributor to the problem. Yes, mine too creak when I press on them -- snap, crackle, pop. I did try some heavy paper shims that I made by cutting up an old greeting card. I experimented with perhaps half a dozen shims on each side in different seams, but unfortunately I didn't quell the noise. I decided against trying to wedge in thicker shims -- I did not want to force the seams to visibly open up. But at least I have a clue now that I can show to the Hyundai service rep. I also have the passenger seat rattle, but so far no other rattles. Then again, my car has less than half the miles that you have on yours.