Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    or has any thoughts on the newly advertised Sonata Turbo, or does it have a separate topic???...I just saw my first ad last night, so I wonder how they upgraded the rest of the car with 274(?) HP and still 33 mpg...sounds good to me...
  • njgreggnjgregg Member Posts: 39
    I believe that the only difference between the 2.4 and 2.0T versions of the SE is the turbo engine itself, for an additional 1550 at MSRP. The Limited version however also includes an upgrade from 17" to 18" alloy wheels, a dual exhaust, and paddle shifters for an additional 1750 at MSRP. There were internet rumors that the sunroof which is standard on the Limited would be upgraded to a panoramic version, but you can only get that with the upcoming hybrid version, or the cousin to the Sonata, the Kia Optima, which has the panoramic sunroof as an option in the EX and SX trims.
  • maxamillion85maxamillion85 Member Posts: 78
    SE 2.0T models also have dual zone auto AC standard...a feature unavailable on the SE 2.4
  • kfdmedkfdmed Member Posts: 130
    Look elsewhere ... lousy powertrain, lousy chassis, lousy handling, and overpriced.
    Nuf said.
  • schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    Look elsewhere ... lousy powertrain, lousy chassis, lousy handling, and overpriced.
    Nuf said.

How would you know you never owned one or drove it long enough to make a fair appraisal!
    Don't you own a Maxima?
  • denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    Some people don't belong in this forum.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    ok you do not like it-do not buy it. Should have included IMO-
    It is mediocre at best. From Edmunds review ...

" lack of computer-controlled rev-matching makes for abrupt downshifts. The system also won't downshift until engine revs are at a ridiculously low rpm, a frustrating experience if you're trying to have some fun with all that power on a twisty road." Not a good.

"Beyond the noticeable body roll, the Sonata's electric-assist power steering feels artificial and offers minimal feedback from the front tires." Not good.

"Heat soak was fairly significant." Not good.

"The steering has less than favorable feedback, with an artificial-feeling boost. Understeer on the limit gets progressively worse if you try to over-drive it. ESP breathed off throttle to bring the car back in line. Slalom: With ESP off, the slalom was an exercise in front-wheel-drive oversteer. Slow in, fast out kept the rear in line, and steering smoothness was key. It's easy to get behind in your turns due to a slight yaw delay, compounded by the loose tail. ESP was fairly intrusive when pushing the Sonata hard -- but we found out why!" That is a bad chassis.

Again, I would look elsewhere if you want a sporty type sedan.
    sorry for what? We own a '11 sonata 6MT and love it.
    the 2.4 6MT.
    Going to test drive the turbo sonata when we take our sonata for service in the next few weeks. We will then give our opinion on it.
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    I suggest that the original poster read the whole review.

http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/sonata/2011/2011-hyundai-sonata-se-2-0t-full-t- est-and-video.html

If you are looking for a true SPORT SEDAN ala BMW, etc... the Sonata is not your ticket. However.... if you are looking for a SPORTY and Economical alternative to a Camry, Altima Accord, etc.. then the Sonata is good to look at. If you want firmer handling check out the SE.

I came from an Infiniti G35, and traded it on a 2011 Sonata Limited. Of course the Sonata won't out run or out corner the G, but it has very respectable road manners.

I'd put the handling in the middle of some of my previous cars. Better than my 2009 300M, and a notch under my 2001 Infiniti I30t. I'd say equal to or better than the 2001 I30 without the touring package. (Drove those as loaners several times)

Bottom line.... a very good car, but of course it's not a sports car. Some people hear TURBO, and assume that.
    I also suggest they take one for a test drive. I have gone to movies that had terrible reviews and thought they were excellent.
    edited November 2010
    Test drive is a great idea..

Also.... interesting to note.

2011 Sonata
    Edmunds rating = 7.8
    User rating = 9.3

2010 Maxima
    Edmunds rating = 7.8
    User rating = 9.1

Sometimes people who are fans of a certain make, like to make negative posts regarding other cars that compete with their favorites.

I find it interesting that the editors of Edmunds find both praise and criticism of both cars.. and amazingly the ratings of both are pretty similar. ;)
    We have owned mercedes, volvo, mazda, mitsubishi, honda, acura, hyundai, bmw, nissan, chevy, ford and pontiac. When we decide to buy a new car we visit many different car dealers and then decide what we like. No longer can for the pontiac
  • kaliforniakkaliforniak Member Posts: 51
    I test drove one 2 weeks ago.

The engine is smooth and it mates well to the transmission that's obviously geared towards fuel economy. Nevertheless it kicks down to a lower gear quickly when I stepped on it a little harder. The engines is darn quiet when driving around town, nearly silent, but it might be masked by the road noise caused by the terrible road conditions where I test drove the car.

The acceleration impressed when I had to pass a minivan at about 30-35mph, I got up to 60mph with the pedal only down half way. I didn't really punch it hard since I was only driving around local streets. This isn't a sports car but it will definitely help me merge on the freeway with ease.

I've only test driven two turbocharged cars before, the Volkswagen CC and Saab 9-3 Aero with the 2.8L V6. The turbo Sonata isn't as explosive as the CC, probably because of gearing but I think I can get more out of this setup on a day to day bases. The Saab had nothing on the Hyundai and VW, all lag no fun :(
  • 8babies1dog8babies1dog Member Posts: 122
    I have a 2009 SE and i hear nothing from the fuel tank, not sure about the
    2011. Hope this helps!
  • bokonon3bokonon3 Member Posts: 20
    Nuf said.

So ... don't buy one.

Thanks so much for playing.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    This is the main reason why I don't put any stock into what a automagazine journalist says about any car. His/her driving impression of that particular car may not sit well with them but could be just perfect for the person wanting to buy the car. Let's face it, this is a family car built for one purpose, to haul the family in comfort while providing the best possible features and fuel economy at a very respectable reasonable price. Period point blank. Just because it has a turbo engine doesn't mean it's built for speed and handling, it's an alternative to a V6 that most people, including myself, would want.
  • schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    I had the 2006 Sonata 6 cyl. I can tell you the 2011 4cyl is a much hotter car. Sometimes I find it to quick from a dead stop. I also noticed after I reached 2k miles the performance increased noticably. See if you can find a friend or relative who has one and ask them for a test drive.
  • keyman2keyman2 Member Posts: 78
    What car did you drive SE,GLS Limited or Turbo?never heard from anyone saying anything bad about bad chassis.They would never be able to sale the Sonata if this was true.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of the Hyundai Sonata who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, November 20, 2010 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• howard18howard18 Member Posts: 53
    I wish to have sonata interior with Optima exterior combination.....
  • ewg54ewg54 Member Posts: 25
    Me too! :)
    One of the guys I work with has a GLS with the 2.4, and he let me drive for lunch one day. I didn't get on it like I did when I had test drove the 2.4 Limited. Got an appointment on Monday Nov. 22nd to test drive the turbo model. Can't wait.
    edited November 2010
    There have been some posts regarding the pickup of the 2.4 GDI and the Turbo. I posted the following in another forum....

Only you can decide if you really need the turbo, but here is a little perspective.

Here are the performance specs for my last few cars, and the new Turbo:

1999 Chrysler 300M 0-60 mph: 7.9 seconds (253 HP)
    2001 Infiniti I30t 0-60 time: 8.5 sec. (227 HP)
    2003 Infiniti G35 0-60 time: 6.5 sec. (260 HP)
    2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.4GDI 0-60 time 7.7 seconds (198 HP)
    2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo 0-60 time 6.5 seconds (274 HP)

So... While I miss the G35 a little from time to time, (and amazingly, the new Sonata turbo is similar in acceleration specs).... the performance is more than adequate when merging onto freeways and other similar situations.

Also the Sonata 2.4 is faster than the other cars I have recently owned , and the more I drive the 2.4 GDI, the more impressed I am with the performance.
    The fuel economy is a nice bonus too!
  • kaliforniakkaliforniak Member Posts: 51
    Fast is actually very subjective. My current ride is a 2003 Mazda6 with 4spd auto that runs from 0-60 in about 10 seconds, give or take half a second. A couple of month ago I had the chance to drive a friend's IS250 and I thought that was FAST, but it "only" runs from 0-60 in about 8.3secs. So yea, the 6.5 secs for the Turbo felt like a world of difference when I test drove the car.
  • jangrojangro Member Posts: 2
    Just got my 2011 Sonata Limited and love it, but can't seem to get Nav Traffic on the Xm navigation. XM says my radio isn't compatible. If that's so, why are the options there and the instructions for use I the manual? The dealer said I should be getting it on my 3 month trial. XM also says they're updating their system and I should be able to get it in24-48 hours. That was 3 days ago! Anyone else having this issue? The xm sales person who called to sign me up for after the free trial period assured me I would be able to get it.
  • techman41973techman41973 Member Posts: 83
    Just curious. The standard 2.4L engine gets 35 mpg on the freeway, but the turbo motor gets 33 mpg. Common sense tells me the smaller displacement engine should equal or exceed the standard motors MPG on the freeway.
    What could explain the lower freeway mileage on the turbo motor
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    It is just the opposite. Highway mileage is all about low rpms and good aerodynamics. City mileage is mostly about displacement. This is why Corvettes, Camaros, and Mustangs get 30 mpg with massive V8s on the highway, but struggle to get 20 in the city.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If the 2.0 were tuned for FE, it would probably get 35+ mpg. But it has 274 hp, for gosh sakes. How many other 274 hp cars (of the Sonata's size) do you know that get 33 mpg EPA highway?
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    So you're saying since they have the same aerodynamics the only reason the turbo gets a little less hwy mpg is because the rpms on the turbo? And I guess the turbo's would have to be substantially higher since it does have less displacement. I think there is more to it than that.
  • connecticut2connecticut2 Member Posts: 41
    Has anybody ever used CNA for extended warranty? - are they legit?

Thanks..
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I did not mean those were the only 2 factors just the major ones.

The point is displacement plays a much larger part of fuel economy with concern to city mileage than highway mileage especially in percentage terms.

I would like to hear what the rpm level is at 70mph for each engine though. Also anyone who has driven both, any comment on engine noise under heavy acceleration or at highway speeds?
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    edited November 2010
    New Sonata GLS owners, what is your feedback so far on the standard 104 watt stereo? Does it sound weak? How is the clarity? Coming from a 200 watt sound system from the Honda Fit Sport where it sounds better than my home system, I'm curious how the Sonata's is. I've sat in one and tried to listen to it but always forgot to bring a cd. I'd like to go with the manual tranny but it doesn't really come with any options as far as a stereo upgrade. Thanks.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    The standard stereo has good overall sound quality. It is comparable to the Bose stereo in my previous vehicle. I have never listened to a CD. Most of the time I have the XM radio on and it is very clear with very good sound reproduction.

The only negative is that the bass can cause the door panels to rattle if turned up too high. I initially had the bass set at "+2" when I first got my Sonata, but have since turned it down to "+1" as it was causing the door panels to rattle too frequently.

For a standard stereo, I would rate it above average.
  • ahossa1ahossa1 Member Posts: 52
    Engine noise is muted at 70MPH on Smooth pavement ,However, on rough road and rough patches the engine noise is very loud on the LTD turbo. I drove the base but not at highway speed but on local road with a speed limit of 30 and the car was quiet, however on rough patches on the local road you hear the engine noise in the cabin. I also drove the Buick Regal at both local road and at 70 MPH and there was very little engine noise protruding into the cabin on smooth pavement and rough patches on the Clearview Expwy here in Queens New York. I must admit that the Regal is a pretty impressive vehicle but costs a lot more than a Sonata. I'm waiting on the Turbo Regal then I will decide which car to purchase.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Do you mean "engine noise" or "tire noise" on rough roads?

Intuitivly, tire noise seems more likely.
    we own a '11 6MT sonata-the stereo is ok. Yes I wish the sonata with manual transmission would have more options (sunroof, power seats, nav, etc) but we are still very pleased with the car.
  • ahossa1ahossa1 Member Posts: 52
    Tire noise. The engine is quiet
  • macsimusmacsimus Member Posts: 3
    I'm trying to figure out if the following is a good deal. The dealer showed me a demo vehicle with pretty much the same options I was looking for, which is:
    2011 Sonata Limited with Navigation package. It has currently around 6400 miles on it. TMV price for that trim is around $26600. Dealer's quote for the demo vehicle is $25500. Firstly, Is it worth going for a demo vehicle that kind of mileage?
    Also, I was thinking it'd be a good deal if priced around $23500. Please advise.
  • njgreggnjgregg Member Posts: 39
    The first question I have is are you financing or paying cash? If you're financing, you're buying a used car, so your rates will be higher. But, out of curiosity, why is the Nav needed for such a price bump when you can get a solid 4.3" GPS for around 125 bucks? I'd lean towards the turbo for the extra money, but that's IMHO.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Does the Sonata turbo call for hi-test gas?
    I think it doesn't. I've read and heard that it can run on regular unleaded.
    I test drove the turbo SE yesterday and let me tell you, it was FUN. Smooth, compliant ride, lots of power(to me) on tap. When accelerating from any speed, there is no hesitation what so ever. Thing put me to back of my seat like the guy in the commercial, very exiting. But alas, I will not be able to purchase now due to fact wifey and I agreed to purchase a new home when our current lease ends in 4 months. Damn it.
    I'm financing. I had no idea it'd be considered a used car as its not registered to anyone yet . The nav also comes with a rear view camera which I really liked. I'll look into the turbo option.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    It's new, it's just a demo owned by the dealership and has never been registered so it should qualify for new car rates. Just doublecheck with the dealer though.
  • klb1klb1 Member Posts: 3
    OCT 30TH Less than one week had the car and first Sunday went to leave for the airport and pushed the button and nothing, car wouldn't start. Checked the charge, attempt a jump anyway and nothing, tried the key back up insert in console and nothing. Took a taxi to airport. Upon returning four days later just for grins tried it and magically it started. Stupid me I
    did not take my rental car to work the next morning I took the new car. Well late as it always is I went to depart work and bingo no start! Called Hyundai 800 number (is this a new car?) and had car towed. Dealer Service Manager called and was great said it was most likely the brake interlock start switch and would have it ready next day. I had to depart on another trip said no problem, no hurry see you after the weekend on Monday when I get back. Monday I picked the vehicle up and Dealer Service Manager said thank goodness I didn't pick up the car that next day because it wasn't the brake switch. They had to trouble shoot the system and it took the day. They checked battery, OK at 14.4 Vs, brake switch light switch, OK, and checked ground wires and found them OK. The issue for the no start problem was they found the 40AMP fuse for the ECM lose causing the failure. They removed the 40AMP fuse assembly for the ECM & adjusted the male pins on fuse and the car started right up. All systems checked fine and problem solved. I have only drove the car twice since the problem was solved. It was to the airport and back. The other night returning from my trip I walked to the car looking good it did but was wary it would not start. It started! So far so good but only three weeks into the new ride.

Love the car but until I get a few more starts.... completed ...... I push that button with my eyes closed and fingers crossed. A month plus into it and so far so good..
    Just confirmed with the dealer that it'll qualify as a new car for financing. Also, the dealer gave a new quote for $24k. Although I'd like to get it further down, at this point I'm thinking if I should negotiate for additional items. Other than tint. I'm not sure what else can be added.