Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

19899100101102104»

Comments

• sparkyzfansparkyzfan Member Posts: 9
    Thanx bunches lex350 and skamps this is just what I needed. Will make appointment with GM of Hyundai dealership and see what happens. I hope to get a full refund and also hope that the same thing won't happen to the replacement lights I got.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    I have an early 2011 Sonata that is 2.5 years old. Can these tail lamp light mounts be inspected without tearing into the trunk too much? I see two velcro cutouts in the trunk trim (sounds nasty) that would provide access to the light bulb area...
    It is a cinch to get the lights out and a matter of patient alignment to get them back in. You would remove the velcro cutouts and loosen the five nuts that hold the light in. Be careful to stand in back of the light so it wont slide out on its own. There is only one plug for the bulbs so undo it and gently coax the whole light assembly out by pressing lightly on the "Pointyest" portion of the light and pulling it straight out the back. There are either two or one guide pins and a plastic button that align the light so don't try to pull up on the light or out to the side because you might break these. When you have it all the way out just gently peel back the foam pad that covers the back portion of the light and inspect all five mounts and the guide pins. When I pulled my pad off some of the mounts were glued better to the pad than the light and they just peeled out as I removed the pad, but, you probably won't have that glue in your lights because the replacement lights I purchased that came from a wrecked Hyundai did not have that yucky glue. To put it back in, stick the foam pad back down. And as you are guiding the light back up in the hole, eyeball the button and the molded plastic brackety groove that it goes in and be mindful of the guide pin(s) at the same time. After you get the light seated connect the bulb plug (it only plugs one way). Very lightly tighten all five screws and replace the velcro cutouts.

It really is easier to do than explain so don't be intimidated by my long post. :shades:
  • czcon1czcon1 Member Posts: 39
  • czcon1czcon1 Member Posts: 39
    My wifes car lost all sound coming out of the speakers, Navigation, radio, bluetooth/phone. They all work but no sound. I checked a couple of fuses but couldn't find a problem. It just happened all of a sudden, worked when shut car off then wouldn't work when started again. Does anyone have a clue what would cause this before I bring it to the dealership?
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    If your vehicle is equipped with the sub and amp, the amp could have shorted out causing your concern. Had that happen to a customer of mine when I worked at my local Hyundai Dealer.
  • johnh73johnh73 Member Posts: 1
    I just took my 2011 Sonata back to the dealer for the fifth time due to the sound going out on the radio. We have had our car for 19 months and this is the fifth time. Within the first two months of owning the car, we noticed an electrical burning smell one afternoon. We called the dealership and they said they would look at it when we brought it in for a service as long as we did not notice anything wrong. They never found anything because its not in their system that I ever reported it. About a month later, the radio quit working. If we touched the screen, it would beep, but no sound would come from the speakers. No radio, no CD, no XM, no AM/FM. They replaced the radio and amp that time with no problem. The radio would work for about 3-4 months and then it would take about 2 months to get the dealer to order and replace everything to get the radio working again. 4 months ago, when it went out, the service mgr told me that it was an ongoing problem and Hyundai was not authorizing any repairs until the found out what the problem was. After calling her twice a week for about 5 weeks, she ordered another radio and replaced it. I am at the point that I want my money back for what we paid for the car. I might consider changing types of car, but we bought the Sonata for the fuel mileage. We average 35 mpg, and are happy for that. All that I know is, I will never buy a NEW car again! I will update this blog as more develops!!!!!!
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    These types of problems will happen with NEW or USED cars. Eventually you will trade the car, and someone else will probably buy it. Then they will have to replace the radio at some point and wish they had just purchased a NEW car.

Every used car was new at some point. Some problems get resolved right away, and others may stay with the car forever (or at least until they are properly fixed.)

It sounds like the dealer is trying to fix the problem the right way, by determining what is causing such frequent radio and amp failures. Hyundai does not want to keep throwing expensive radio and amp replacements in the car, and I don't blame them. However, it will not be their problem anymore once the car is 3yrs old or has 36,000 miles on it. Despite a 5yr/60K mile warranty, the radio is only covered for 3yr/36K miles (whichever comes first).

Your best solution is to let the dealer determine and fix the underlying cause. Then get a new radio and amp, and not be concerned that it will go out after warranty. The last thing you will want to do is pay for these components out of warranty as they are not cheap.

Hyundai and the dealer want the chance to make you happy. You need to let them. Demand a loaner while they repair your car.
  • zolte77zolte77 Member Posts: 12
    Sorry to hear about all the problems you have had with your 2011 Hyundai Sonata. I have had so many problems with the 2011 Hyundai Sonata that I purchased in May 2011, that it gives me headaches... If you search my posts on this forum you will read about what I have been through... I have dealt extensively with Hyundai Corporate on all the problems and it has been very frustrating. They will make you feel like the driver/owner is to blame. My first problem happened at 800 miles (creaking sound). It took them 4 weeks to find the problem and fix it. I took it in 4 times until they listened to me. Hyundai corporate denied the car had problems until an engineer looked at it. Then in January of this year I had a control arm assembly that went bad. They refused to fix it stating that I had hit something. I had my insurance company look at it, and verify writing that was not the case ( I had not hit anything). I filed a case with the BBB here in my state. Beware, Hyundai controls a lot of the BBB has to say. That case was useless. Then in May of this year I noticed a humming sound. It happens at idle (75% of the time). They (Hyundai sent a rep to drive with me). We test drove a brand 2011 new Hyundai Sonata and then my 2011 Sonata and the new car had no humming sound and mine did! The rep even noticed this. They told me they would get back to me to arrange to fix it. They did, and again denied everything claiming the sound was normal. I found a website which if you search my posts you will see find the link. There have been hundreds of problems with the 2011 Hyundai Sonata's. Hyundai has not fixed all of them. Yet, when I brought up this website with them, they denied all problems. Also, Hyundai reps roam these websites, so don't be surprised to get a few responses that are not welcomed. I have. Currently, I noticed the paint chipping (small) off a bit from the front right side of the my bumper. I have pics of this. I understand paint will chip as the car ages, but not at 18 months and less than 25K miles. I had my Nissan Sentra (before I bought the Hyundai Sonata) for 9 years (175,000), and didn't have any paint problems until the end. I sincerely wish you the best of luck. Document everything. Emails to dealer, etc. I wish Hyundai owners like ourselves (trust their are many owners with problems) got together and wrote letters or created websites documenting all the problems. Hyundai would then listen. Overall, you are correct, the car gets excellent gas mileage. It is also fun to drive (when there are no problems). I am just surprised at all the problems. Brand new cars should not have these problems.
  • rick240rick240 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard or 2011 Hyundai Sonata's with windshield fogging problems. On rainy days or humid days my windshield fogs up to the point where the only way I can see is to use my wipers. No matter how I set the defroster or air conditioner my windshield will not stay clear. The dealers keeps telling me that I have to play my defroster until I get it just right (never heard of such a thing). This has been a constant problem that I need to get resolved.
  • sonatascottsonatascott Member Posts: 16
    It has happened to me before. It's on the outside if the wipers swipe it away... try Rain-X. Great prooduct.
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    In your manual, there is a section called Defog Logic. Read that for instructions on how to proceed, but I can give you some info.

If you have a Limited or a car with the auto climate control, check this.
    Turn your system on auto. Turn the temp down all the way. If the blue LED in the AC button lights up, you need to change the Defog logic. (LED should be off)

What this does is control the compressor to run automatically at moderate temps, therefore reducing humidity levels. If set the wrong way, the compressor will only run when AC is needed to reduce cabin temp.

I don't have the exact instructions handy, but it involves a certain sequence of pressing the climate control buttons to reverse the Defog logic.

IMHO, it would have been better if Hyundai reversed the way the LED for the AC worked; have the LED show when the compressor is on in the normal defog logic mode. Their default is to have the light show OFF in that mode even though the compressor is running. If you cannot figure it out, bring your owners guide in to the dealer, and have them set it.
  • beardiebeardie Member Posts: 44
    I have a 2011 base Sonata GLS with the black material seating. The car has 5700 miles, and the driver's seat is showing signs of wearing out. I have an app't with the dealer to have them look at it. Has anyone had a similar problem?
  • petdogdfwpetdogdfw Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2011 Sonata Limited with around 38K miles on it. My car has the wine colored leather interior and my driver seat starting showing signs of wear early too. The dealership advised me that it is from me sitting down hard in the seat when getting into the car especially when I wear jeans. I think it is odd that a new car seat would wear out that soon. Anyway, they replaced the front seat leather on the drivers seat and suggested that I always move the seat back a few inches whenever I get into or exit the car.
  • dman483dman483 Member Posts: 1
    open fuse box radio fuse has a plastic clip witch will not alow fuse to come all the way out simply pull fuse untill it stops wait a few sec. and push back in this will reboot comp. and should solve prob. worked for me. good luck.
  • toughoncarstoughoncars Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone

I have a 2011 Sonata GLS with popular equipment package. It was one of the first off the line, bought in May of 2010 (very close to sticker price, :( ). Now has about 35k miles on it so well within warranty still. My first Hyundai. I've had Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Volkswagen and Chrysler (!) before, never a new car this bad. I have had a ton of problems with it and I now think it is a lemon and am not sure I can rely on it. I would like some feedback on:

A) should I change it right away,
    B) is this experience typical for Hyundai.

Problems:
    1) Steering recall and other recalls from first models.
    2) Pathetic horn (moped horn?) eventually stopped working altogether. Fixed under warranty with better horn but not before an eighteen wheeler nearly crushed me while I was frantically banging on the horn.
    3) Uneven tread wear means nasty Kumho tires are very very loud, adding to already high noise level on freeway. Probably toe-in problem but dealer won't fix. Dealer blamed dealer in previous state for not rotating tires on schedule (I am sure this was done). Now ready for new tires, but I don't want to invest in Michelins as I am not expecting to keep the car much longer.
    4) Carpet in drivers footwell (in front of floor mat) has hole worn in it already. Not fixed.
    5) Underneath engine cover fell off in parking lot. Probably stupid dealership did not reattach correctly, but could be symptom of another problem (why was it unbolted in first place?).
    6) Brake sensor faulty and replaced under warranty (was causing activation of traction control along with other problems).
    7) Concerned about bearing noise hidden by tire noise - sounds like rear bearing is going and that wheel hub is noticeably rusty.
    8) As with other early models, lower Fed crash test ratings.

So, bad experience with both the car and with two separate Hyundai dealerships. If other people's Hyundais are better, maybe I would trade for a newer one, but this doesn't fix the dealerships. Also, since I bought when they were brand new the best deal I could get was about $500 off sticker - I paid about $23k - so I have lost about $10k on the car now if I trade it. It would have been cheaper to lease a Mercedes, and I would have enjoyed driving it a lot more!

If the car is only worth $13k now, would this drop a lot more the minute the 5 / 60 warranty expires?

Let me know what you think.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    My husband and I owned a 05 Hyundai elantra GT, bought new. When we traded it for a '11 sonata gls in July 10, the elantra had 100k+ problem free miles. We were not planning to buying a new car. While at the Hyundai dealer (excellent one) for normal service we looked around at the new cars. They had a Venetian red one with 6MT. we bought it with a nice discount. It has been a problem free car. Unfortunately my husband passed away suddenly in Aug. So I regretfully had to sell it as I do not need 2 cars.
  • 5193251932 Member Posts: 2
    Sadly, I am acquainted with some of these issues and others. I had never owned a Hyundai before but when the 2011 design came out, I fell in love with the lines. I text drove it and was impressed so I bought it. I currently own the 2011 Limited Sonata. Although the car has a lot of great features, especially for the price, the comments I had always heard about Hyundai still hold true. They don't last. I will be getting rid of mine next year and am sad to say I will not buy another Hyundai. I have owned Toyotas, Hondas, Fords, Nissans and even Mitsubishis and I've never had this many issues. Hyundai has a lot of mechanical work to do before I would consider buying another one and that is years away.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Not sure what you're talking about. Our kids '08 Accent is in excellent condition with just one warranty issue since new. Very pleased with the car and planning on buying another one in '14 for the wife. Every car company has a few lemons I suppose.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Hey Lex350, were you unable to get your tail light problem covered under warranty? thanx, sparkyzfan
  • moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    I also have a 2011 Limited Build date of 3/2010 and had to have my driver seat replaced this year for the same reason. Car only has 9000 miles on it.
  • traveler123traveler123 Member Posts: 4
    We bought our Sonata in Jan 2010, within six months the seat was coming apart on the drivers side. Fought with the dealer finally got them to replace. They could not even do it themselves and had to send the seat out to another location. We were 2 weeks without a car and they fought to even give us a loaner. Finally got the car back and within 5 months the seat started coming apart again. They refused to fix it.
    Next problem the car would not start. You could get in it and drive to the store, when you came out and tried to start it you would have to stomp the brake several times then it would finally start. Took it to the dealer and they said nothing wrong with it. After this happened several times and then left my wife stranded at night we traded the car in a bought a Nissan. No more Hyundai cars for us.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I cannot address the seat repair issue although we did have to have the driver side seat cover replaced on a 2006 Civic we bought new well before the car had 9K miles due to a patch of "wear through" however the no start issue is a known problem with the brake light switch and a repair should have been simple, change the switch!! Boy, to change cars at the first fault is a luxury many...most cannot afford to do. Nissan has the potential for failure as well, in fact I just read of a recall already on the latest and greatest 2014 Altimas (possible loose bolts on some suspension component I think). Perhaps you will receive that recall letter soon (assuming you bought an Altima) good luck on your new ride, nothing is perfect.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited December 2012
    Nissan has the potential for failure as well, in fact I just read of a recall already on the latest and greatest 2014 Altimas...

What is really amazing about that is Nissan is recalling cars they haven't even made yet!

:)

The first Hyundai I owned was a 2001 Elantra, one of the first 1000 or so of that new design to reach the USA. Before I could even drive it off the lot, I was told it had an airbag wiring issue that had to be fixed under a recall, and it was. Then after owning it awhile I noticed a squeak when I depressed the clutch. Kinda annoying to say the least. I took it into the dealer and they "fixed it"... found out later they only put some lube on it. So a few months later it started squeaking again. Took it back again. Told them lubing it didn't work... told them what I'd found on a web site about a seal needing to be replaced. So they just lubed it again. A few months later, it started squeaking again. Took it back and DEMANDED they replace the seals. They did. Problem solved.

So it was a nuisance, but otherwise it was a great car for its time, and I reluctantly sold it in 2006 to my sister. She still drives it. It's needed some fix-up (12 years old) but nothing major has broken on it in all that time. And this was a car designed in the late 1990s, before Hyundai's big push on quality.

That was one experience that taught me not to give up on a car too soon.

Oh btw, I just leased a 2013 Sonata to replace my wife's 2007 Sonata. :)
  • dennis_hdennis_h Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2011 Sonata GLS that had the driver side seat wearing out with 28,000 miles. Hyundai replaced it under warranty.

I am having major issues with tire wear as well as other people are. Tires keep cupping/feathering even with repeated wheel alignments, rotations, and balancing. New set of tires are cupping with only 3,013 miles on them.
  • datagendatagen Member Posts: 107
    Interesting, I have a 2011 Sonata Turbo and my seat is so hard, I am kinda at a point that I wish it would wear. I have a cushion that helps but I do not drive this fella more than three hours at a time or I won't have an [non-permissible content removed] and I will have to go to the rest room to spank it in order to get the feeling back. As far as the tires, I am beginning to notice wear and plan to take it in for a check. In reality, what can we expect? From what I understand we have the worst roads of any country out there. Hankook tests were conclusive of the fact of wear in the US and looked at the cost of change of the formula verses replacement. Other than that, the car has been a work horse for me and I am happy with the decision. In other words, more positive than negatives. :shades:
  • beardiebeardie Member Posts: 44
    Update......I have an app't. for the dealer to replace the driver seat in my 2011 Sonata. Now the question is what will eventually happen to the new one? Maybe a seat cover is called for, although who would think you'd need a seat cover on a 2011 with 6.000 miles??
    I am also having problems with the driver side seat. For the the last 2-3 months it sounds like a old rocking chair that creaks... I plan to take the car into the dealer in the next two weeks. My 2011 Sonata GLS has 22,000 miles on it, and this would be 6th problem with the car since purchase in May 2011. It is my hope the dealer fixes this problem.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    If you were recently denied auto warranty coverage for a surprising reason, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, January 9, 2013 to tell your story to a reporter.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Took car to dealership last week. They lubricated the bolts, etc. Noise came back within 4 days... It is louder now. I need to take it back into the dealership. As this is the 6th problem with this car.
    Not happy.
  • moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    I too have a 2011 Limited with leather ( build date 4/2010 ) the seat started to peal and my dealer replaced the leather on the driver side.
  • oujbeitingoujbeiting Member Posts: 1
    I know this has been almost 2 years ago for you, but do you happen to have the name of the dealership where you took yours? I am having exactly the same issue w/ my 2011 Sonata. The dealership has passed me on to Hyuandai customer connect and Hyuandai customer connect keeps telling me I need to continue to work w/ the dealer. The last time i spoke to the service manager at my dealership he told me they couldn't do anything w/out being able to duplicate the problem. I told him about your post and he said if we could track down that mechanic that they may be able to talk to them to see what they did? Please let me know if you have that info.
    MY seat material was replaced by Allen Samuels Hyundai in North Richland Hills (Fort Worth), TX.
    Was the questions about the seat material replacement or the trunk opening? My car had both issues and both issues were resolved at Allen Samuels Hyundai in Fort Worth.
  • slaterjonesslaterjones Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2013
    I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata, bought in 2010 when the new style first came out. While I love the look of the car and the significant power it gets from a 4cyl, I have been disappointed by a number of quality issues. One that I have not been able to find reference to anywhere is cracking of my headlights from the inside out. It first started with subtle lines / cracks on the inside of one lens and then the other and then spread and got worse with time. I kept meaning to bring it in to Hyundai, but never did (Yes, my fault!). I don't know if the bulbs were getting too hot, or it was some other issue but now the cracking has made its way all the way through the glass. I brought it to Hyundai and they (of course) are stating that they have never seen it and that it looks like I might have hit something. I gave them the history and said that it's not logical that I would somehow hit something which would crack both lenses, but not damage any other aspect of the front of the car - since the nose sticks out further then the lenses. I would love to hear from anyone else who might have experienced this issue. Help!
    That sounds a lot like the problem I posted here last year except mine was with the tail light mounts. If you don't want to try to do it yourself, you might want to take your vehicle to a reputable independent mechanic and have them check the tail light mounts for cracking before your warranty runs out. You bought yours about the same time I bought mine. I am convinced that there are a lot of sonatas out there that have some of the tail light mounts broken that will never be noticed because you wont know there is a problem until all of them break. I am still waiting to hear from Hyundai concerning my claim, but, I don't have much hope they will do the right thing. I guess it is easy to offer a 100K/10 year warranty if you don't honor claims. :confuse:
    thanks for weighing in! I will definitely look into that. Agree with your comment about the warranty offered. Did you have the sport with low profile tires? Those things are not durable at all! the smallest bumps have gouged them and peeled away rubber. My car is pausing when I use the manual shift mode and move from 1st to 2nd. The alignment is screwed up, breaks went to fast, seats stain with even water drips, center console gets stuck, drivers mats wore out way too quick, bulbs burn out fast, driver seat fabric is already loose, etc etc. I have just found that there are so many little quality issues, but enough to make me wonder whether I would ever buy one again.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    edited February 2013
    REF: 5321
    I have a 2011 Sonata GLS leased in April 2010 (mfg date March 2010) with low miles. I was considering buying it after the lease is up but decided to trade/turn-it-in after reading about many quality issues that arise after substantial time/miles on the car. While i agree about the style and power, i don't want to get stuck with paying for quality issues after the warranty runs out. FWIW, my salesperson did provide me with a list of "exclusions" for the warranty at the time of purchase so i knew the 10year/100k mile warranty wasn't as comprehensive as the marketing suggests (for the most part). Luckily i've had only two recall items (both software) and two minor issues (power window switch, burned out interior bulbs) to date. i hope that hyundai steps up and takes care of your headlight issue - i can't believe they wouldn't cover it. I'd call the national help line and file a complaint to get a case Number. GL.
    First, take this to Hyundai Customer Support and see what they say. If they side with the dealer, tell them you are filing a claim under warranty and it's THEIR responsibility to PROVE the cracks were caused from external damage and are not a defect. Should be obvious, e.g. pitting or other damage on the outside of the lens where the cracks are... ALL the cracks.

Some dealers are better than others re repairing a car under warranty. My dealer has been really good about it over the years with multiple Hyundais. The only claim they denied was when a clutch failed on my 2001 Elantra, they said they took it apart and said it had been "abused". I thought they were telling me one until I checked with the main driver of the car, my oldest son, and he admitted he had in fact "abused" the clutch many times. Also my wife (3rd driver of the car) admitted abusing it too. :sick:
    Thanks Backy, I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to take this to a different dealer than the one I got the car from. Maybe they will respond differently. It's worth a shot. I'll post an update after my visit.

Cheers.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    he admitted he had in fact "abused" the clutch many times. Also my wife (3rd driver of the car) admitted abusing it too

Wow, what did the wife and son admit to doing?
    Hard shifts. The kind that prematurely wear out a clutch.

The last such hard shift my son did actually broke the clutch pressure plate. It was the last such shift because after the car was repaired, I took the car back from him and instead let him use the 2000 626 I had purchased used for myself... had an automatic. Then not long after sold the Elantra to my sister... who still has it.
  • litigationlitigation Member Posts: 1
    I see it has been 11 months since your post. Your concern was will the seat that you had replaced at 6,000 miles needed replaced again---- well as your post is 11 months old I think we both know the answer. I had my new factory installed front seat replaced for wear by the dealer twice.
    This is my third seat including the factory --- and it is warranty ---Hyundai Corp -- tells
    me me tough luck --- I am a valued customer but they are not going to replace it---no ifs ands or buts. If thy make a defective part they replace it once(most likely with an identical defective part)
    then it is the dealers discretion--- eat the part cost or tell you --you are a valued customer- but they dont care if they sell you a car with defectice seats by the way on the third seat and it needs replaced again at 17,000 miles!
  • traveler123traveler123 Member Posts: 4
    We got our drivers seat replaced twice and had to fight like hell both times. . Then the push button start would jam and you have to stomp your foot on the brake several times to reset it or the car would not start. We didn't even bother taking it to the dealer. Instead we traded it in and now drive a Nissan which I have owned several and will continue to use. I will never own or recommend Hyundai to again. Cheap junk!
  • tasa18tasa18 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2012 Hyundai Sonata that has 66,000 on it due to my job. I just want to make everyone aware that a Sonata out of the 60,000 warranty in MOST states will not cover the fuel pump. I'm still unsure if there are 2 fuel pumps on this car but my problem is the High Pressure Fuel Pump which apparently costs $850 for the part alone then at least another $200 to install so beware and the autopart stores cannot carry the Hyundai parts that way it forces you to go to the EXPENSIVE dealership. Autozone stated that their store charges $510 for the part but Hyundai doesn't let them carry it so that shows you the markup on the parts alone. The close to $1,100 doesn't include new hoses either. I guess we know why the cars are so inexpensive because they stick it to you on the repairs.
  • denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    I would consider that as part of the drive train, the car won't run without it.
    I believe the fuel pump is mounted to the gas tank. I will try to remember to ask my dealer about it when I go in next time. I would contact
    Hyundai Customer Service to make sure it isn't covered.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    The powertrain warranty only covers certain engine and transmission components. The fuel pump is, unfortunately, not part of either system.

What I find interesting is that Rock Auto dot com sells 2 different fuel pumps for the 2.4L 2011 Sonata. One for $270 the other for $620. However for the 2.4L 2012 Sonata the only fuel pump they sell is the $620 pump. Same car, same engine. Makes no sense unless Hyundai switched fuel pump specs in 2012+ Sonatas and the $270 pump will not work. The fuel pump for this car is comprised of several pieces, which makes it more expensive. Pump, strainer, sending unit, gasket, etc.

Unfortunately as cars get more miles on them, regardless of actual age, they require more maintenance and there is a greater probability of some sort of component failure. Some repairs will be cheap, some repairs will be expensive.

One has to wonder in this situation, since the failure is only 6,000 miles out of the B2B warranty, if the dealer should try to get Hyundai to approve a goodwill repair. If the original owner has had all service done consistently at the dealer and has kept up with all scheduled maintenance, repairing this as a goodwill repair would go a long way toward keeping the customer happy and keeping them as a long-term Hyundai customer.
  • p51mustang2p51mustang2 Member Posts: 1

I have a 2012 Sonata GLS. Mileage a 70600. Automatic. I drive a lot due to my job. One morning, the car would not start. The starter worked fine; it sounded like no fuel was getting into the engine. First took it to my mechanic. Scan showed "low fuel pressure in common fuel rail".
    He recommended taking it to dealer for warranty work. First Hyundai dealer's service dept was so busy, they said it would be 45 minutes before they can even sign me in. So took it to a second dealer. Diagnosis cost $50, and the problem is bad fuel pump, according to them. No, it is not covered under warranty. Cost $860 or so. Bad fuel pump at 70K? I take care not to drive with fuel tank level below 1/2 mark. I am not sure what the 10 yr/100K miles warranty is all about.
    It sounds like a lot of hot air to me.

• texroytexroy Member Posts: 1

I purchased my first Sonata July 4, 2012 it was the new 2013 within the month my seats would heat up without pressing the switches. You could not turn them off and after repeated service calls they could not fix the problem. They tried to imply that it was all in my head, no one else had a problem with hearted seats they told me over and over, well I had the problem. In February I took it in again they could not fix the problem. I told them I wanted them to switch out the car this is where they took advantage of my complaints of the car. I lost everything I put down on the first car, then the loan for the new car they placed me in was a " Smart Loan" it is the worst of worst of loans. Then within the month the seats started heating up. I took it in again and again they could not fix it yet at one time the service adviser told me the seats heat up to 100 degrees he used a infrared red gun which measure the heat. I have had enough, now my Bluetooth is having the 15 minute problem, with volume too low. My radio is not working correctly. I am told they can only fix the problems if Korea approves it. I feel this is the worst customer service anyone can receive.

When the second car stated heating up I asked several people to drive my new car yet I did not tell them what was the problem with the car. I then ask them to write a letter about their experience of driving my car. Three felt the seats heating up yet only two wrote a letter.

I have found another customer with the same problem on Hyundai think tank. He tried to a year at the time of his posting.