Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• dg0472dg0472 Member Posts: 89
    Consumer Reports has end-ran Hyundai's embargo by updating their previously posted review on the pre-production Limited Hyundai brought to their track to instead be remarks on a GLS they bought themselves. Overall, it's pretty positive.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/02/2011-hyundai-sonata-first-review.h- tml
  • hhr06hhr06 Member Posts: 47
    so where in new jersey is this dealership? i'll have 1 shipped down to florida for that savings.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Re. turbo vs V6... as a previous owner of a SAAB Classic 900 Turbo, I can assure you it had enough power and speed to keep up with a V6. And, with the new Sonata's more refined engine, its Turbo may even be better.

FWIW...SAAB's naturally aspirated H-engine design remained the same for the Turbo. It was not necessary to beef up the crankshaft or rods - they were the same in both versions.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    hhr06, I tipped you off to Fitzmall in Clearwater that has '11 Ltds at 26150 sticker selling for 24256. That's only 541 less than that New Jersey dealer. I think it would cost you a lot more than that to ship it from New Jersey........if you're serious. They have seven on their website. all at 26150 sticker/24256 sell.
  • awahooawahoo Member Posts: 15
    I just received an internet quote for $19,668 for a Sonata GLS with automatic and popular equipment pckg. (Option group #2 @$750). Total MSRP was $21,800. How does this compare with what you guys are getting? I think it's pretty good....$2,132 below MSRP and $1,070 below invoice.
  • shuale_ejsshuale_ejs Member Posts: 115
    That's an excellent price. Does that incude a loyalty discount or something? How'd you manage to get it $1,000 BELOW invoice?

Can I have your telephone number? Maybe I can call you and you can haggle with my dealer tomorrow...lol...
    To get that price, in your neck of the woods, you should just go to Sams Club, buy a $40.00 membership card and then order your car thru their auto program. You get it for cost (invoice) plus whatever other discounts you may qualify for (i.e. loyalty coupon etc.).
  • awahooawahoo Member Posts: 15
    Dealer said the quoted price included all internet incentives. So I don't know what was applied there. Does it make a difference if I got that, or someone goes to Sam's, gets the invoice price, then gets another thousand discount? This was only his quote in response to my internet dealer inquiry. Many a slip between the cup and the lip, so this may be too good to be true. We'll see. I'll surely come back here and confirm when I complete the purchase.
  • seaurchinseaurchin Member Posts: 57
    Hi guys, i am interested in a car that is almost impossible to find at any dealer in my area. And when i did find one it was not in the color i am interested in. So i am thinking of ordering a car from the dealer built exactly the way i want, basically a factory order. Has anyone in here done so and what should i know to avoid getting ripped off.
    I do have a few questions, #1 do I have to leave some sort of a deposit and how much is it usually. By all accounts one should never leave dealership without the car or money, so I am reluctant to give money upfront for a car that dealer told me will arrive in 6 weeks (another dealer told me 15 weeks)
    Do I have to sign a contract? Can I walk away from the deal?
    I also read that dealers are far less interested in haggling for a car that is not on the lot, I was wondering if that is the case.
    Can someone please give me all the ins and outs of the process.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    That's essentially what I did for my new Sonata, which is coming in Monday (ordered on Super Bowl Sunday). They created deal paperwork without a VIN number. They looked around at other dealer's inventory to find a similar car's invoice to do the cost.

Once it appeared in their inventory, indicating it was shipping soon, they redid the paperwork with the actual VIN number. To this point, they have not cashed my down payment check. I can cancel the deal at anytime, since I do not yet have my car.
  • lancep97lancep97 Member Posts: 36
    When I recently went to the dealer and asked about a particular model and color combination, the salesman stated that Hyundai does not do factory orders like GM or Ford. He stated they instead use allotments. A particular batch of cars with certain colors and equipment packages are offered to the dealer and then they decide which ones they will accept and which ones they will decline. Usually the only way a dealer can get a car that was not in his allotment is to trade with other dealers.
    That's probably technically correct, but it would also depend on the kind of stroke your dealer has. A high volume one can probably get more done than a "minor leaguer."
  • norm8_lakesnorm8_lakes Member Posts: 41
    Does anyone know from the South Florida area where I can buy the 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited, venetian red, camel interior w/no nav?
  • napsfannapsfan Member Posts: 23
    I just test drove a 2011 Sonata SE this morning and am impressed. I think I'm sold -- looks great, drives great, feels good inside. I'm just under 6' and thought the back seat headroom was fine. The only downside was the audio system -- not even as good as the one in my current base Honda Odyssey. I think I'll live with it, but thought I'd offer that opinion.
    One interesting note -- the dealer said nearly all the cars (SEs at least) coming out of Alabama seem to be silver. Any of the other color SEs are actually being imported from Korea. Of course that could change over time, but that's the current state of affairs according to him. That's the running joke amongst dealders looking to trade for other color SEs -- they all have seem to have only silver.
  • caseybrucaseybru Member Posts: 47
    edited February 2010
    I live in northern California. I just got an offer from Roseville Nissan/Hyundai for the 2011 Sonata SE. MSRP $23,450 , Invoice $22,406 , and my price $21,788 plus Ca tax and DMV fees. Ca tax and DMV fees [$2133]. Ipod cable [$35] , wheel locks [$50] , and carpeted floor mats [$100] are all included in my price. I am happy with it and am waiting for my color to arrive. He has 7 GLS , 4 Limited , and 3 SE's on the lot and and 16 more Sonata due very soon. This company is very customer oriented with a lot of nice people.
  • herbie10herbie10 Member Posts: 13
    I drove the 2011 Sonata SE about two weeks ago. We went to the dealership to drive a Mazda3. It was way too small and we drove the Mazda6. On our way back inside the dealership my wife saw the SE. She fell in love with the looks. We drove it and were very impressed. In order to get the features we wanted, we decided the Limited, without nav, was the way to go. We took ownership of it last Saturday. After driving it to work for a week, I've extremely happy with it. Plenty of power and very nice internal features. Here are my thoughts:

The power is good. Not as good as my wife's 2000 V6 Solara, but definately better than any other 4 Cyl. that I've driven and close to some of the V6's we drove. The handling is very good. Road noise is good, but not great. It's leaps and bounds better than my 2001 Altima was. I'm very happy with the gas mileage. I drive 25% city during the week and 75% interstate. I'm averaging around 30 mpg right now. I'm satisfied with that. I think the only way you will get the 35 mpg is to drive around 60 mph on a fairly flat road. I'm in the foothills of NC, so there are no flat roads. I look forward to getting in the car after work. I love the USB connection for my MP3 files. The only thing that is a little annoying is the fact that it takes about 4-5 minutes when I get in the car for the phonebook on my cell phone to download to the car before I can use the bluetooth. This is the first time I've ever had bluetooth in a car, so I don't know if this is a normal thing or not. Overall I'm extremely happy with the car.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    Herbie,

I also just got my 2011 Sonata SE and love it as well - it is an amazing car. I have not had a chance to set the bluetooth up yet but I will read over the manual and find out, I am sure there is a way to have it store the contacts or something. I can tell you that I have driven a 2009 Malibu with Bluetooth, and with that you have to manual set all names/numbers into the car or dial them directly from the contacts list on your phone, which is tedious and defeats the purpose of hands-free.

For anyone interested I uploaded some photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/47676250@N05/sets/72157623473314312/
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You might try one of the Internet car search services such as Autotrader (available here at Edmunds.com) or cars.com. You put in your zip code and how far from that you wish to search for the new car, and enter details on the car, and it lists inventory from local dealers. I think it is possible to specify color, and you can put "Limited" into the text search field to narrow the search to Limiteds.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    edited February 2010
    REF: 619
    Nice pics. Black on black looks great. What brand tires do you get on the SE? Are they the low mileage V rated performance type? (i.e., 260 A A)
    BTW, a real Italian would have included an engine photo? ;)
    I will get a few more photos soon and put them up as well.

The tires are Hankook Optimo rather V (149mph)
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Thanks for the pics. Looks sweet!
  • norm8_lakesnorm8_lakes Member Posts: 41
    Here is an article from the hyundai plant in montgomery, alabama about how many cars there going to produce in February.

www.tradingmarkets.com/news/stock-alert/hymzy_brief-hyundai-to-increase-producti- on-at-montgomery-plant-in-feb--763437.html
  • hickstickshicksticks Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    Last night we got the Pacific Blue GLS with Popular Equipment Package.

It is a great car. I paid $3,725 as my down payment. I am doing 15,000 miles annually on the lease. My monthly payments are only $159 (including tax).

I am very happy with the vehicle I purchased. I love the bluetooth and IPOD connectivity. I also really enjoy the look, feel and comfort of the power seat (the lumbar support is great).

I am not happy about the buying experience. I could never recommend that Hyundai dealership to anyone, they were very deceiving and I caught them in several lies.

Please let me know if you have any questions, I'll monitor this thread.
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Thanks for the pics and info. How do you experience the ride and handling? I've taken test drives in a Limited and a GLS. No one has SE's in my area or in the Virginia and North Carolina dealerships I visited while traveling last week. Local dealer said the NO ONE can get nav systems at the moment.
    Yeah, what is the dealership name???
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    I drove a 2011 Limited today. It was my second test drive, the last one being a 2011 GLS. This is an impressive auto.

I currently own a 2003 Infiniti G35, and believe it or not, I am considering replacing it with a 2011 Sonata Limited. The car has ample pick up for a 4 cylinder. During my test drive, I had the opportunity to merge onto a highway ramp from a rolling right turn. The Sonata accelerated smoothly to about 65 MPH. While it's no match for my G35, the 4 cylinder will not stop me from buying. This was my biggest concern.

Before I purchase, I need to listen to the stereo in the Limited with Nav. There are some of them out there, but they are pretty scarce at the moment. The other thing I want to see is a camel interior in a Limited. The reason I haven't found one, is that the camel interior is not available yet. (Coming soon I am told). The manager at the Hyundai dealer says that the wood trim in the Limiteds with the camel interior will be a cherry tone. So far all of the internet pix show the same piano black that comes in the Gray and Black interiors. I think all of these photos are of Korean cars, or pre-production.

I'd appreciate if anyone can confirm the wood color.
  • hhr06hhr06 Member Posts: 47
    hicksticks, of #625 thread

how were u able 2 get such a low lease price? most here in florida are showing $199@month. was it because of the large down payment?
    The SE has...
    Hankook Performance tires . The Hankook Optimo H431 . The H431 is considered a Grand Touring All-Season tire that is M+S rated. It comes with a UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grade) of 480 (treadwear) / A (traction) / A (temperature). 225/45R18 with 18" silver alloy wheels

info is from...

Nicholas Tufo
    Coordinator
    Quality & Service Team

Hankook Tire America Corp.
    1450 Valley Rd, Wayne,NJ 07470
    Tel : 1-800-HANKOOK (426-5665) X 616
    Fax : 973.633.0028
    email : ntufo@hankooktireusa.com
    REF:630
    Excellent post w/ detailed info. Tires are $187 each + shipping on tirerack.com and they are a new model (or perhaps a new OEM tire just for the SE). Specs are better than i expected.
  • tripigtripig Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2010
    Just took home a 2011 Sonata Limited for 1000 under invoice from Rosen Hyundai in suburban Chicago. Very easy to deal with. Fantastic car! You won't be disappointed! :)
  • wrelessbwrelessb Member Posts: 11
    I picked up a 2011 Sonata Limited + Nav today at Ed Voyles in Atlanta.

Great deal on the lease, $50 over invoice including $500 loyalty cash (we leased a 2010 Genesis in November).

We did have to wait a week to get it shipped from something they referred to as 'port'. Don't know what that is because the origin on the sticker was clearly Alabama.
    edited February 2010
    Today, I leased a 2011 Limited w/nav. It's black with grey interior. I really wanted Silver w/black interior but the nearest one was in Chicago and would cost some extra $$$ to get here in Ohio.

I'm not a fan of making a downpayment on a lease so I work on getting a good selling price. Here is my info:

MSRP: $28,250
    Selling Price: $25,618
    Ad & Acq fees: $837
    Lease: 36mths/12k - $345/mth
    We are looking at the pacific blue pearl, iridescent silver blue metallic , and the harbor gray metallic. We live about 200 miles from the nearest dealer and doing all our shopping on the internet so never get an actual look at the colors. Could you post a photo of your GLS in the Pacific Blue, pretty please.
  • chrisk10chrisk10 Member Posts: 19
    Bought a Silver SE today, will take delivery by Wednesday hopefully since my dealer is doing a trade. Looking forward to really getting behind the wheel. Will post updates in the coming weeks. Ended up purchasing rather than leasing since I traded in a junker lease and got a great interest rate along with free TT&L.
  • mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    edited February 2010
    Okay, yesterday (Saturday) I had a chance to check out and drive a 2011 Sonata GLS with the PEP.

I will be brutally honest.

***Disclaimer - I do NOT know if Hyundai fixed the suspension Kthunk issue as the test drive near the dealer had all very smooth roads. I tried to find a bumpy or rough road but there simply were none.

The exterior design is the best feature of the new Sonata but, as most things in life, there is a trade-off for that: a smaller backseat than the 2010 model.

The interior looks very nice, but I found the door panel, door handle (interior) and some of the plastics and switchgear disappointing - but not necessarily in comparison to other cars in its price range; rather, in comparison to the 2010 model.

I find that in the effort to reduce weight and manufacturing costs, Hyundai and almost all other brands (Toyota and Chrysler especially) are really using light weight, flimsy and sometimes very tacky materials for things like door pulls and console trim (can we please stop getting faux aluminum that is really poorly painted and cheap feeling plastic?).

The 2011 Hyundai drove nicely, but not so much better than the 2010 version that it is noteworthy, IMO. The transmission had an annoying tendency to hang on too long before downshifting, and this is probably geared this way in the interest of fuel economy. Road noise was actually worse than the 2010 version, and the suspension was somewhat tauter with better damping.

I did very much like the instruments and background and ambient lighting. Kudos to Hyundai for hitting the mark on color choices in this area.

I found the main control for the heating/cooling gimicky.

As with the Volkswagen CC, rear headroom suffers in the 2011 model. That's the price to be paid for the swoopy roof.

The engine noise seemed well supressed and the engine note pleasant for a 4 banger.

In summary, I would not pay MSRP or even a slightly discounted amount for this Sonata as I feel that once the novelty wears off, Hyundai will need to resort to higher subsidies and incentives in this most competitive of all car segments, especially at a time when many new models are going to be rolling out from competitors.

This is only my opinion. The 2011 Hyundai is not a major, but rather an incremental, leap forward. The biggest pluses are the exterior design, the bump in horsepower using the 4 cylinder, the fuel economy (if EPA estimates turn out to be remotely close)

If one likes a soft, quiet ride, the last generation actually might be a better fit. If one likes a more tied down, firmly damped suspension, with a sleek exterior, the 2011 makes the 2010 version dowdy by comparison.

Finally, and this is not Hyundai specific, but I am very disappointed with the quality of interior bits, pieces, controls and switchgear in almost all newer cars, from Toyota to Mercedes. I find that mid-90's era Honda and Toyotas, mid-80's era Mercedes and BMWs, and early 2000 Lexus' and absolutely shame their more modern offspring in this regard.
  • 04sport04sport Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know from the Central Florida area where I can buy the 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE, PACIFIC BLUE PEARL color?
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Thanks.... I couldn't find "optimo's" in the performance category at the Hankook website. Having the specific number helps.
    Well, in many ways the interior bits of my 2004 Elantra are superior to those in newer cars like the 2011 Sonata. Almost all the interior trim pieces of my Elantra are padded, for example. But that is the price we pay for paying about the same price today for a Sonata GLS than what we paid 20 years ago, adjusted for inflation, for a far better car--a few interior bits excepted.

I also find the color of the interior makes a difference. To me the all-black interior looks cheap on the Sonata, especially with the SE's black metal-grain trim and cloth inserts. But take the camel interior with (I think) nicer cloth, or leather, and woodgrain trim to dress things up a bit, and it's easier to forget that most of the plastic surfaces are hard to the touch. Besides, we almost never touch those hard plastic pieces except when we're test driving the car. ;)

I was over at my local Hyundai dealer looking for a used car yesterday because our 2007 Sonata might be totaled by the insurance company (hit in the rear last week). A 60-ish woman was drooling over the pearl white SE on the showfloor. I told her, "You'd look good in that." She said, "I know!". Don't know if she bought it though. That is the only 2011 my local dealer has right now. They are not having any problems selling them despite a $599 window sticker for paint protection etc. (Ah, those memories of Honda and Toyota in the '80s and '90s.)
    Argh. That's my dealer and they said they didn't take deliveries on weekends and I would have to wait until Monday. Your post means they have my car now.
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    edited February 2010
    In reply to :
    #632 of 641
    Purchase price of Hyundai Sonata 2011 Limited by tripig
    Feb 20, 2010 (6:46 pm)

Just took home a 2011 Sonata Limited for 1000 under invoice from Rosen Hyundai in suburban Chicago. Very easy to deal with. Fantastic car! You won't be disappointed!

Please post MSRP and Price paid before Tax lic title and doc.
  • swingmanswingman Member Posts: 54
    http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t45232-bought-a-2011-ltd-today.htm

That forum thread has a guy that posted pics of a pacific pearl sonata. Says it looks black from a distance.
  • gs42gs42 Member Posts: 54
    With the kind of deals customers are getting, one conclusion is that the invoice is padded quite a bit. Why would a dealer sell a new model that has a decent demand for a loss? Answer: They wouldn't.
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    I will test drive one in a couple of weeks but in reading through the brochure, it seems that on the GLS there's no option package that includes a sunroof. On the SE the sunroof is tied to the Nav. I don't want the manufacturer's Nav system (don't want to pay for it) but really do want a sunroof, as I enjoy it so much on my '06 GLS. I understand the difficulties for manufacturers to allow each item to be a separate option but these built in Nav systems really are just a huge profit center. I know few people who feel their built-in works better than a $200 Garmin.

When purchasing my current car, I almost didn't even try Hyundai. For this next purchase the 2011 Sonata would have been the only choice. However, with the few option packages offered, I guess I'll also look at Honda, Toyota, etc.
    However, with the few option packages offered, I guess I'll also look at Honda, Toyota, etc.

So you think the Accord is better re availability of a moonroof, because you have to buy the highest level trim, EX, before you can even get a moonroof? :confuse: At least a moonroof is available in the SE. And standard on the highest-level trim, the Limited--kinda like the standard moonroof on the Accord EX.

On the Camry, you can't get a moonroof on the base trim but can get one on the LE and higher trims. You can probably get a real good deal on a 2010 Camry right now.
    REF:644
    I live in OH and talked to a dealer in Indiana (125 miles away). I asked how he could advertise online at between 1500-2000 off MSRP on new 2011 Sonatas. We all know that is below invoice. He said there is dealer cash on the new models to sell ASAP and generate free buzz when the cars hit the streets. Seems to be working although some dealers are not willing to budge from MSRP (this week). I am waiting until mid-March for the new model furor to settle and for a few more "new car test drives" to post. Consumer Reports has a GLS review online already.
    I am waiting until mid-March for the new model furor to settle

I think waiting longer will be better. All the test drives/reviews from the press and auto writers should be out next week and they should generate some demand. Plus, you'll be heading into the spring selling season(traditionally best), plus the auto shows have created buzz as well. Just saying I don't think you'll see great deals till fall.
    edited February 2010
    I completely disagree about the interior, I had a 2004 Sonata GLS (mid trim) and I can tell you that this is far superior. While that was also a nice car, the leather on many parts of the 2011 SE is beautiful quality, especially on the bolstered parts of the sports seats (which so far have been extremely comfortable btw) and the center armrest. The dash is a soft padded black which is smooth and soft, I really cannot think of much of the interior that has a "cheap plastic" kind of feal.

The 2004 Sonata GLS was $18500 MSRP or so, the mid-level Sonata is now $23,450, so they definitely did some price adjustments.
    especially at a time when many new models are going to be rolling out from competitors

Which new models are you referring to? Haven't heard of any major redesigns coming up soon.

The 2011 Hyundai is not a major, but rather an incremental, leap forward.

Complete exterior, interior, drivetrain redo. Top (non-turbo) I4 hp in class, top mpg in class, top safety rating in class, second best 3yr residual value in class and possibly a I4 turbo coming that may have more than 250hp and still get around the same mpg numbers. Compared to what everyone else has done(is doing) it seems a pretty major leap.

the fuel economy (if EPA estimates turn out to be remotely close)

Name one 2008 or newer car that a fairly conservative driver can't meet or beat the current EPA numbers with.
    The leather is fine, as is the dash top. It's the rest of the hard plastics in the interior that feel cheap, especially in black. At least to me. The overall appearance of the interior is much better for 2011 than on the 2004, I agree. But as someone else noted, everyone else is using hard plastics in interiors now except in luxury cars, so we can't knock Hyundai alone.

A car that sold for $18500 in 2004 would cost $21,200 today adjusted for inflation. But the 2011 SE has much more on it than that 2004 Sonata, e.g. six airbags, ESC, 200 hp engine, 6AT with paddle shifters, 18" alloys, Bluetooth, sport-tuned suspension, etc. More interior room also. Not bad for about $2200 more than in 2004.
  • swingmanswingman Member Posts: 54
    black feels cheaper than the other colors? Wouldn't the only difference be color?

Unless it's a part of the car that i touch (controls, steering wheel), then it doesn't really bother me if something is hard or soft or feels cheap. As long as it doesn't look cheap then I'm good to go.