Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Um, yes, some very nice pics of the new... E-Class. :confuse:
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I thought the same thing. You have to go to the second page of pix to see the Sonata.
  • dnbbdnbb Member Posts: 4
    Just logged on to see what the buzz is on here about the 2011 sonata. I'm happy to see a lot of good words being said about our hot new car. It is a sexy car! All I can say is I'm throughly impressed! I am probably going to be in line to buy one when it goes on sale early next year!
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Here's a video of the Korean version. I am impressed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP21zS_V3qE

;)
    Looks good! The grille doesn't look as bad in these shots. The interior looks like a class up from the previous car, and most if not all competitors. And they finally put some great-looking alloys on the Sonata! I hated the ones on the 2009 Limited.
  • jswwishjswwish Member Posts: 3
    http://kr.news.yahoo.com/service/news/shellview.htm?linkid=4&articleid=200909171- 44156441c6&newssetid=1352

I'm considering trading in my 07 camry v6 which has been giving me a lot of problems.
    I have had three camrys and simply, this is ths worst i ever had
    I don't trust a reliability of Toyota anymore. I would go for Hyundai.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    Man that's just perfect. Now it's really gonna be hard to chose between the Genesis and Sonata. I was planning on getting the 2010 Genesis, but now I might have to rethink that decision. As long as the US version comes with all the options the Korean version has, I'll probably be trading my 06 Sonata in for it.
    Real unlikely the 2011 Sonata for the US will have all the options available in the ROK. That is certainly not true today. I think US buyers would get sticker shock at a Sonata loaded up like that.
  • the_pillthe_pill Member Posts: 9
    "Real unlikely the 2011 Sonata for the US will have all the options available in the ROK. That is certainly not true today. I think US buyers would get sticker shock at a Sonata loaded up like that."-backy

While its true that this has been Hyundai's practice in the past, lets wait and see on this one.
  • billwardbillward Member Posts: 154
    Sorry guys, but as a fan of the last Gen Sonata, and the Current Gen Sonata, not a big fan of the new 2011; maybe I just need to see one in person, but it loses a lot of the "Semi-Lux Sedan" styling I like on the two I own (2003 GLS V6 and 2009 GLI I4 Auto). I'm thinking that I'll probably not end up buying a Sonata with this styling. The front isn't bad, but the whole roofline look, :( just doesn't look like a Sonata anymore. This looks like it would have been a better fit for the Azera than the Sonata.
  • jason25jason25 Member Posts: 8
    I am liking the look of the new Sonata. The only thing that bothers me is the front end. For some reason, the front looks very strange to me. Maybe its the grille. I feel that it looks too Toyota Venza-like. Also if you look at the vehicle's profile shot, the front fender well looks higher and bigger than the rear. Thats very strange. And what is up with the styling of the wheels? I feel that if they put the 18" wheels from the Genesis line (or something similar) on the Sonata, it will greatly improve the looks of the car. Hopefully we will be getting better wheel options in the US for this car. The interior simply looks amazing for this class of car. :)
  • joeymjjoeymj Member Posts: 2
    studio pictures never do a car justice. I found some non-studio real life pictures over here. nice :)

http://www.hyundaibuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/yf_sonata_1.jpg
    Great pics, thanks for sharing. I especially like the detailed view of the center console. That dash puts some "luxury" cars to shame, IMO. I am wondering if the seat-shaped control is for power settings, or something else? Also it appears there are only about 20 buttons on the console (someone else said 30). Still a lot of buttons, but most of those are for the audio/nav system, and there's a big round volume control knob at least.

I sure hope the USA gets those folding mirrors!
  • joeymjjoeymj Member Posts: 2
    I think it controls the direction of the air conditioning. I imagine if you press the round button (which probably represents the head) it sends wind to you face and if you press the lower half of the seat it sends wind to your feet.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I guess it comes down to how long can a company (any company) massage a design introduced 5 years ago? Honda, Toyota, Hyundai Ford hell all companies are constantly moving forward in all respects so to remain stagnant means getting lost in the dust and Hyundai certainly cannot afford to do this. I too like the current style but after looking at it for this many years it has become ho-hum for me. I certainly won't buy a Sonata before this new generation becomes available because I like what I see. As for the current generation cars and those who like them best..there are plenty of used ones around OR buy a 2010. One last bit..."just doesn't look like a Sonata anymore" no and I think that is the intent with the companys new design direction..the " fluid something-or-other" (I forget what the official moniker is) look.
    Hey, don't get me wrong; I have TWO Sonatas, a 2003 Sonata GLS V-6 with all the options (the equivalent of an SE) including the moonroof, and a 2009 Sonata GLS I-4 Auto with PEP.

I love BOTH cars, they are both good looking, comfortable, relatively econmical and (at least so far) reliable. But the new 2011 Sonata doesn't look like a sedan anymore, which is the point of the Sonata itself; they look like a sports coupe, which I though the Genesis was about. If they want to go that route, that's obviously their right, but I'm just not a fan of the styling; when I buy a sedan, I want a SEDAN (I have a sports coupe already, as well). I just think Hyundai would be better served by having made the new "Sonata" the Azera (which doesn't sell well, lets face it), and found a way to seriously freshen a true sedan as the new Sonata, one of Hyundai's big three (Elanta, Sonata, and Tucson) in terms of sales By going the route they did, they're abandoning the more "traditional" niche for the Sonata itself..
    I think this more swoopy design is just a reaction to the direction Mazda (Mazda6) Toyota (Camry to some large extent) Honda (Accord for sure) and others who Hyundai sees as the competition have already gone. The days of the "boxy" (comparatively speaking) family sedan is largely gone. In fact the days of boxy, read traditional, anything including SUV's (except maybe pick-ups) has pretty much gone. It is a function of "keeping up with the Jones" but I personally like the new direction and can see that others may not.
    Actually I think Hyundai decided on their future styling direction before the Mazda6 debuted. And the Camry and Accord are much more traditionally styled than the Mazda6 or Sonata. The new Legacy also follows the traditional sedan template, even down to the BMW-esque C pillar. So I don't think traditional sedan styling is dead yet, but I do see a trend towards sleeker lines in family cars.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    You mean the days of trunk openings larger than a basketball are largely gone. :sick: I actually use my car's trunk on a fairly regular basis. The ever-shrinking trunk openings from lots of manufacturers tick me off & have me looking at a compact CUV for my next vehicle.

As someone who's last name actually is Jones, they are in no way shape or form keeping up with me. They are taking pains to disenfranchise me from their products.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    To paraphrase a well known president...."you can't please all the people all the time". This is exactly the reason there is a variety of styles of vehicles sold. Freedom of choice for now..... :)
    So, your saying (although it sounds like Backy partially disagrees) that Hyundai is playing "follow the leader", instead of trying to BE the leader. It's worked (sort of) over the years with the Sonata and Elantra, I guess (lets face it, both have been reminiscent of other automobiles over the years), but in this case, the old adage "Well, if everyone was jumping off a cliff, would you do it as well?" applies... it's just not as practical of an automobile (as Oldsmobile, Cadilac and Buick all found out, to their own peril, over fifteen years ago; yeah, this design reminds me of THOSE) for the average family of 4.5. You're going to lose cabin space and trunk room, reduce the usability of what trunk is there (too small of an opening), and most especially, lose head room. With a 20 year old son, who's six foot, living at home, his 18 year old sister who's 5'8", and a 9 year old, I have some kids who need elbow room and back seat head room in my car (and TRUNK space!) The new design doesn't seem to have that, and the lines aren't as pleasing, either.
    No, I don't "partially" disagree. With the 2011 Sonata, I think Hyundai is going all-out to BE the leader in the mid-sized family car segment. They will lose the buyers who like traditional sedan styling (to the likes of the Impala maybe). But they will gain others who like sleeker styling and the kinds of features the new Sonata offers.

You may not lose as much room as you'd think. With a high rear deck, the trunk could be quite large even though the opening might not be very large (but if it goes down to the bumper, which it probably does, it's going to be pretty large). And the Mazda6 has proved that you can have good room in back even with a coupe-like roofline, but you might not fit people with "big hair" back there. ;) Personally, if I had three kids of that size at home, given the kind of lifestyle that implies, I'd have something like a minivan or SUV like the Pilot or Traverse, or maybe a little smaller one like the Equinox or Santa Fe. In fact, I do have a minivan, at least until my middle son goes to college.
    I have a minivan, too (in fact, I currently own FIVE automobiles... the minivan gets driven occasionally, but with 180K miles, I try now to save it for when I take the Boy Scouts out (I'm a leader in my troop))

1989 Camaro RS V8 all options, 92K miles
    1996 Plymouth Voyager Ralley, SWB, V6 180K
    2003 Sonata GLS V-6 with all options, 112K
    2008 Kia Rio5 9K miles (my son's new car, replaced his 1993 Mercury Tracer with 321K miles)
    2009 Sonata GLS I-4 Auto with PEP 9K miles

Yes, we put a LOT of mileage on cars, and tend to run them until they die.

Big point is, Hyundai recently "won" my family for Hyundai and Kia cars, back shortly before we got our 2003 Sonata. Our next car will almost certainly be another Sonata, in about 4-5 years... unless the Sonata is no longer the Sonata. And the 2011 isn't a Sonata anymore, it's something different.

I guess we'll disagree on whether it's a good move, but I'm not a fan of the 2011. It might be a wonderful car, but it's not designed for the same market niche as the old Sonata.
    Yeah, the minivan comes in handy hauling those Scouts and gear to camp, Eagle projects etc., doesn't it?

I think there's a Sonata badge on the 2011 model. ;) Times change. I hated the looks of the 2001 Elantra when it first came out, it was such a radical departure from the 2000 model. But after awhile it grew on me... and I eventually bought two from that generation.
    Yes, indeed, minivans are great for hauling scouts. Going in two weeks to Camp Pipsico (the Tidewater BSA's "Council Campground" with the boys, that will be the longest trip I've taken the minivan on in two months.

I actually think the 2000 model redesign of the Elantra was quite striking, as a "small sedan" style. I like the new style, too (almost bought an Elantra Touring instead of the 2009 Sonata), but it's one of those cases where they could have kept the old style for a lot longer and still kept it "fresh". I think the 2006 style Sonata could have been kept fresh for another 4-5 model years, as it's really quite attractive.

Ah well, maybe you're right, maybe the 2011 will grow on me. Right now, I don't care for the looks, but if it's safe, reliable, comfortable, and economical, it probably won't matter much in the end.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    We don't even know what the specs are for the new Sonata yet, so let's all keep an open mind. It probably will have one of the best, if not best, size trunks offered. Only thing I'm really concerned about is rather or not we will get all of the available options that the Korean version has. Would be a shame if we didn't, those fold away mirrors are quite sleek.
  • kingsalmonkingsalmon Member Posts: 97
    Hey Bill,

I have the XD Elantra and I've been more than surprised with what I got for the money. I would like to upgrade to a mid-sized or larger vehicle but don't really care for the looks of the current Elantra. I do like the 2006-20010 Sonata's looks but I do think it's up for a total overhaul in design.

I don't really know what to think about the new 2011 design because I haven't seen it in the flesh(or metal). I do like the back design and the front looks interesting and quite good from some angles. But definitely, it's a polarizing design. The current design is much safer and some may say, "quite boring."

I think Camry's are quite obnoxious due to the fact that they're everywhere. Accords have a classy look without trying to hard, but it's very boxy. The new Sonata doesn't look like those two so I like the fact that they're going a different direction. I just wish they kept some of the current design's features.

Anyhow, I'm excited to see what it looks like when it gets here! The Tuscan and the Sonata shows that Hyundai's serious about their new designs. I guess you can't call them boring anymore. And if they continue on being reliable, safe, comfortable, and economical vehicles, I don't think they'll drop off anytime soon. :)
  • i360i360 Member Posts: 74
    I think they are shooting for a younger demo of car buyers. I believe to have read that the average age of Hyundai car buyers is around 50ish, perhaps 54-56. They can take it down a couple of generations with this style choice. Personally I own a 2009 Sonata and I'm much younger then that demo (Great car BTW, zero issues after one year). The 2011 is growing on me but finally judgment will be here when I see it in person. I dunno I don't feel the shots I'm seeing aren't giving me a clear picture of what to expect. Its like the "Usual Suspects"...It all makes sense when you look at it right. You gotta, like stand back from it, you know?
    I'll definitely check it out in person sometime after it makes it to dealer lots, but the pics don't give me much hope that the trunk, however cavernous it may be on the inside, has an opening sufficient for my needs.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    I agree with that. If it isn't possible to put something into the trunk, because of the lack of opening, it doesn't make much difference how much space is on the inside. I know many items because of the bulk are not able to get into many of today's trunks. Before someone comes back with it, there are many smaller items that would still fit, but try putting a large microwave, or any large box, or TV into the trunk before you comment on that lack of opening available, they sometimes just don't fit.

van
    I haven't been able to get items like that into the trunk of a sedan for many years (maybe an HD TV lying flat, but I haven't tried that). That's why I love hatchbacks, like my Elantra GT and Rabbit. Plus I have the minivan for the really big stuff (Stow N' Go is one of Chrysler's greatest inventions, IMO). That being said, my oldest son takes my 2000 626 to college and was able to take everything he needs in that car, even though it's not that roomy by modern standards. He also needed two trips. But he hauled a LOT of stuff.

Besides the trunk opening, another key factor for hauling capacity is the opening behind the back seats. It's much smaller on some sedans than on others, and also on some sedans the rear seats fold flat or almost flat, and on some they stick up so much it greatly reduces utility. So check those things too when you look at the new Sonata.
  • jjx456jjx456 Member Posts: 41
    This video gives a shot of the trunk opening at about 2:21 (pause it). Not the best shot, but it may give you a rough idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY2rPBxsGrA&feature=fvw
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    ...for a mid-size sedan with an opening that will be more than adequate.

A love the look of the new Sonata. Hyundai and Kia are really coming on strong.

When the U.S. economy (& credit crunch) are in full recovery, these cars will be become major players in the market.

They were very close in 2007 before things started sliding downhill.
    The trunk opening looks fine from a height perspective but the length (back to front) still looks too small to me. Again, I'll check it in person before passing final judgment, but so far it's a demerit to me.
  • bp027bp027 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone seen any info on the specs. on the 2011 Sonata? Length, wheelbase, trunk size, etc. The trunk size is one of the many things that makes me like the Sonata over the Accord and Celica.
    Has anyone seen any info on the specs on the 2011 Sonata?

==============================================

I have some "preliminary specs" only:
    Vehicle Type: midsize car
    Horsepower: 185 (4-cylinder), 260 (V6), 170 (hybrid)
    Torque: 175 lb-ft (4-cylinder), 235 (V6), 190 (hybrid)
    Transmission: 6-speed manual (4-cylinder) or 6-speed automatic
    Wheelbase: 110.5 inches
    Length: 193.9 inches
    Width: 73.0 inches
    Height: 58.0 inches
    Base curb weight: 3,275 pounds

I'd estimate the trunk volume to drop a touch but still be around 15 cu.ft.
    Those really are "preliminary" because Hyundai has already announced the Sonata will get the 200 hp I4 with direct injection in the USA.

Since the new car is longer, according to the specs, I don't know why the trunk volume would decrease. If anything, it might increase. But maybe a smaller trunk opening because of the fastback styling.
    Viewing the photos of the new Sonata reveals a lower deck lid than the current version. Probably down 3" across it's 12 sq.ft. area. That's where my estimate comes from. Although they might pick up a couple cubes from length/width increases, they'll likely lose several in vertical dimensions.

The current Sonata cargo volume is 16 cu.ft. Not likely the new, lower body style will better that number.
  • dnbbdnbb Member Posts: 4
    I do know the actual specs but from what I've seen the trunk looks to be about the same both opening size and volume. The power numbers you put are a little low, and I've heard they will have around 20-25 hp over the current model. There will be no v-6, both engines will be 4 cyl, one NA and one turbo charged. The cars should be hitting dealers in early 2010.
    :D
  • the_pillthe_pill Member Posts: 9
    I have learned that Hyundai USA will in fact be launching the 2011 Sonata without a V6. So there will be just two 4cyl powerplants to choose from, a 2.0 and a 2.4. The U.S. spec’d 2.0 is rumored to arrive with 197 horses while the 2.4 is supposed to wring out approximately 240 horses. Good numbers no doubt for 4 cylinders but the question is at what cost?

Certainly improved MPG numbers are undoubtedly the major benefit but what about those zero to 60 times? The current 4 cylinder mill can gallop to sixty in a leisurely 9.8 seconds. I know we’re talking family sedans here but anything over 8 seconds on the upcoming base 2.0 4 cylinder will be borderline pathetic.

I’m also very curious about the interior material quality. For example, will the glove box be lined and dampened like the current model? I know this seems like a small detail but small details like this often get in the way of car brands that set the standard instead of being defined by it.

So far, I’ve only read one write up from a non-South Korean first drive impression which made mention of slight wind noise around 70 or 80 MPH, mind you this was a KDM version, or perhaps due to aerodynamics and because the car is so quiet. Still, the writer’s opinion was that the car did make a very positive impression overall and drove and felt miles better than the current outgoing model.

I think my two concerns regarding the 4 cylinder only engines are NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) compared to the current 2.4 175 horsepower engine. The current 2009 Sonata’s curb weight as equipped is 3,299 lbs, so it means that this new model can't tip the scales any higher otherwise it will risk the mileage penalty. Also the so called suspension “clunk” some owners have complained of will have better be properly sorted. According to some experts, the so-called clunk is nothing more than suspension noise that can be muted with sufficient dampening insulation. We'll see.

It would serve Hyundai well to churn out 3 more horses from their base 2.0 leader engine to an even 200 which they could use to position above all its segment competitors and then push the premium 2.4. To no ones surprise, Hyundai has remained deliberately tight lipped about the upcoming powertrain options.

According to Hyundai based on sales of the current model: 85 percent for the 4 cylinder versus 15 percent for the 6, so it makes more sense to only offer a 4. But Hyundai has never built a car like the upcoming 6th generation Sonata. I think its risky and outright timid not to offer even the option of the 6 unless they have planned an SE turbo to put down a quite doable 265 horses at the front wheels. If not, this will be a major weakness in an otherwise great looking car.

We will soon learn whether Japan’s top brands, Toyota and Honda, responds to Hyundai’s decision, and moves to match the 4 banger only offerings within this segment or will they offer more improved efficiencies in their sixes which would then undermine Hyundai’s drive to be the global king of Green?
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    If this is indeed true, then the Sonata is off of my list.
    Agreed. I don't mind losing an MPG or two for the added HP, torque, and improved NVH of a V6.
    Re wind noise, I remember when the 2006 Sonata debuted here with non-folding mirrors, Hyundai said they used them to minimize wind noise. At the time I thought that was a bogus excuse, and they had done it as a cost-saving measure. Now I'm not so sure. Also we might see non-folding mirrors on the 2011 Sonata in the USA, since there's no need for them on cars that are made here and not shipped overseas.

Re power... the 2.0L Passat makes 200 hp, so adding 3 more ponies to the Sonata's 2.0L would only bring it to parity.

It's possible the 2011 Sonata will debut with the two I4s and Hyundai will gauge the market acceptance. They could then drop in a V6 if the I4s don't fill demand. There's also the hybrid version in the wings. Keep in mind, Hyundai's stated goal is to meet the new USA fuel economy fleet average standards early. Dropping the V6 in their top-selling car might be a big part of that plan. And if Hyundai has to do it to meet the new standards, perhaps other automakers will have to follow suit.
    For years I have been reading figures that 4 cylinders are installed in something upwards of 80+% of all U.S. Accords, Camrys, and Altimas and Sonata too I guess if your figures are correct. All these companies produce very powerful, quiet and smooth V-6's but their 4's are quite acceptable in all regards so most consumers prefer them and that choice has not hurt the sales of any of these in the least.. A 200hp 4 cylinder is a lot (more than Accord, or Camry and I think Altima) not to mention a 240 hp option. That is more than the original 3.3 V-6 in the Sonata!! I don't feel either of these two motors will be a slug. Keep in mind the U.S. is one of the few countries where V-6's are even offered in this segment car. Frankly I'd like to have one of the modern, torque heavy, clean diesels Hyundai offers in Europe but I for one will be looking into either the 2.4 liter or hybrid Sonata. Maybe it is time to put away the "toys" i.e. extremely powerful V-6's in this class just as we have...mostly....laid to rest the V-8 which is something I never thought I'd see. I am 62 and remember the time if it had wheels it had to have a V-8.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    The optional engine will be a turbocharged 4 cylinder engine. It will be a 2.0L mill pumping out 250 HP and yes it will be FWD. It won't have the torque steer of other high HP FWD cars.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Anyone concerned about reliability associated with turbocharging or stretching out an I-4 to that many ponies? I'm entirely uneducated on the subject but have always worried about turbocharged cars and reliability. As an example, Subaru's are widely thought to be very reliable, with the exception of the WRX which always rates poorly.

Any thoughts?