Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Audi Q5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• paulwithispaulwithis Member Posts: 13
    From all I've read and heard, they are all money makers for the dealer and give no value to the car.
  • pp2009pppp2009pp Member Posts: 228
    You mean after you pay $42K+ for a vehicle they are going to tell you that their paint and their windshields aren't up to snuff?

Ridiculous.
  • lmariorodlmariorod Member Posts: 21
    Telebump, don't let the finance guy sell you any of this stuff. Audi care is about all you should pay for. And you can get that after your first free service at 5K. MSRP is $750 for Audi Care and even that is negotiable.
  • unleaded100unleaded100 Member Posts: 2
    Went to local audi dealership and offered 1k off a white premium plus Q5. Wanted to lease 3 yr and 12k and came up with an approx price of 650, zero down. MSRP 43,375 inc. dest. MF .00108 and 50% residual. They came back with with over 700. If I remember correctly 740 (my credit score is excellent). Would not disclose MF when asked. They gave me scenarios in which I would put a higher down payment to lower my monthly payments. Anyway, asked if they would accept my offer if I did not lease and purchased. Gave me 4.9 for 60 months but would still not budge on price. So I walked out. Business must be good in this economy for them or the economy must not be that bad for some since they are paying full msrp. Ended up leasing a 2010 X5 35d for less than what they offered me after the rebates and tax credits. I'm getting a larger SAV, better mileage, and free maintenance. Moral of the story, if your looking for value don't look at Audi.
    Too bad...You missed out on a really nice vehicle. We went to the dealer a little prepared. If you're an American Express card member, Amex has a website that that let's you build your Audi or any car.

Print out that price with dealership info, usually $300 to $500 over invoice and shop that price at another dealer.( Audi dealers are usually far apart, even here in the NY tri-state area.) Threaten to take your business to the dealer on your AMEX sheet. They'll ask???? Why did you not go there and get this price in the first place...Tell them some lie that their dealership was closer to your home or you've heard great things about their service department.

They beat the other dealer's AMEX price by $100. (I would have been ok with just matching it) We got a Premium Plus, Meteor Grey with nice Michelins for $40,125 plus tax and tag fees. Only extra purchased was Audi Care @$750. We LOVE our Q5.
  • kerryjthkerryjth Member Posts: 67
    no, dealer scams.... like undercoating from years ago
  • dhkhandhkhan Member Posts: 30
    Unleaded 100,

Could you please share details of your X5 lease. I'm basically looking at the same options (Q&, X5d, ML350 BT) and would apprecite getting info on the current deals out there.

am in Northern Colorado, where there are not many dealers for these SUVs so any information on the deal would help me with my negotiation.

Thanks in advance.
  • unleaded100unleaded100 Member Posts: 2
    MSRP 62,125. Final price 55,635 which include the eco-credit. The 4500 credit is good until 11/2, but another dealership sales rep informed me it would be extended until the end of the year. Not sure if thats true. If you purchase, your eligible for a government tax credit of 1800 or 900. You can look up the lease residuals and MF on the bmw x5 forum on this site. The Audi is a nice SAV, with excellent handling and design. I test drove both the S-line option and premium plus. The S-line had more wind noise than I remembered in the premium plus, not sure if it was the weather or b/c of the wider tires. The Q5 seems more tuned for performance driving, including an aggressive engine mapping software. The Q5 was not in sport mode or in manual mode during the test drives. I didn't like the large side view mirrors which seem to block your turning view. The X5 to me seemed like a better long distance cruiser with excellent brakes, and great handling plus its larger. I ordered the active ventilation package, tech, premium, heated front seats, rear climate, and ipod usb adaptor. Overall, the X5 35d fit my needs better than the Q5. Not sure how stacks against the ML350. I got a better lease deal with BMW than with the Audi, and the BMW cost 20k more. My wife who was with me at the Audi dealership thought the monthly lease calculated by the dealer was over 800 a month for a 36 month 12k lease not 740. In any case they were so far off, and not willing to budge on the lease deal or msrp. But I'm glad it worked out that way. Looking forward to the BMW in a couple of months. Good luck and check out the X5 forum under leasing.
  • roundviewroundview Member Posts: 3
    Well I'm not going to argue with you about whether or not Q5 is a "vastly superior" car, but your premise is wrong about why Q5 is "flying off the shelves". If you look at the sales numbers, the RX sells more than 6000 a month in the US, and the Q5 - about 1100 a month.

So let's say if there are about 300 Audi dealers in the country, that means each dealer gets only about 4 Q5's per month. The reason it is "flying off the shelves", is not because there is a huge demand, but rather it's because the limited supply. It's so much easier to clear your lot when you have only 4 cars to sell.

I drove both the RX and the Q5, and I would agree the Q5 is a better drive. But a better drive is not the only criteria people consider when buying cars, there are many other factors. If you look at the total sales numbers, you would have to say that the RX is the one that's "flying off the shelves".

Which is another reason why I'd choose a Q5 over a RX - there are just too many RX's out there.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Good point...

Actually, that's Audi's whole ad campaign.. Instead of hordes of look-a-like Lexus mommy-mobiles, all in beige... you've got a mean looking black Q5.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kampakukampaku Member Posts: 2
    I will be looking to buy a 2010 premium plus q5 19" w/ navi and rear side air bags at the end of Dec. Any thoughts on how close to invoice / far from MSRP I should aim? Any experiences (positive or negative) with Chicago area dealers?
  • stiflers_momstiflers_mom Member Posts: 1
    Kampaku: I just signed a deal here in Denver today. Premium Plus with Navigation...MSRP $45,225. They would go no lower than $44,500. If actually left the dealership they most likely would have hit $44,225. Anyway. I've been working three dealerships and that is the best I have found. Hot new car gives the dealership sales staff the ability to say no thanks to your business. I bought mine at Prestige in Lakewood Colorado after going through archaic sales runaround by McDonald Auto in Littleton Colorado. Good luck.... Don't forget Audi Finance is paying first payment if you use them for purchase. That is an $850 dollar incentive for me.
  • pcss911pcss911 Member Posts: 2
    lmariorod,

Can you provide details on this Amex website? I'm interested in pursuing this option, but am not familiar with how to go about it.

Thanks
    Hi pcss99,

The website is www.amexnetwork.zag.com

Any problems with dealer not honoring price, call Amex and let them know. Good Luck.
  • pcss911pcss911 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks very much for the info, I'll check it out.

Just curious if you know how it works - when you say about the dealer honoring the price, isn't the dealer the one offering the price? Does the system let you know which dealer(s) is(are) the one(s) with the offer? Do you have any control over which area/dealers the request goes out to?

Thanks again
    Hi again pcss911,

You'll read on the website... a link...How does this work?
    Amex has worked out a partnership with certain dealerships to offer and honor this below MSRP price. Not all dealerships participate. (though more should, afterall if AMEX is referring you, you have an AMEX card and should have decent credit, something they want if they're trying to sell you an Audi, BMW or MB.)That does not mean that others won't honor the price if you shop it there. It depends on many other things such as, how badly do they want to make the sale and reach their quota...How serious they see you to take "spot delivery" if they have it in stock...how hard and well the salesperson works with the sales manager. We were ready to walk and go to the dealer on our AMEX sheet. They sensed that and came out with the deal we agreed on. It's probably best to go to a large volume dealer and at the end of the month that has many Q5's in stock. It worked for us and could work for you also...Do not show too much love for the car and mention that BMW has maintenance included or that you may want more storage room as in the MDX. If you show you really want the Q5, they bend very little. Good Luck...keep me posted.
  • kilshkilsh Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a new Premium Plus with SatNav and 19" wheels from Rector Audi in Burlingame, CA. Great experience, and with some negotation got $1,300 of MRSP. It helped somewhat to buy at the end of November, however all the dealers I spoke with in the Bay Area still talk of limited inventory and the fact that this car is flying out of the lot. Rector do carry a good inventory - one of the best in the Bay Area, which helps with negotiation if you have some flexibility on color, options etc, but this was exactly what I wanted.

Audi of Oakland carried a decent inventory, but were nowhere near as good in terms of customer service. Royal Motor Sales lacked the inventory.

Tried going with Cartelligent, however they weren't able to get a better deal than I could with limited negotiation on my part.

The car ROCKS. Looking forward to taking it to Tahoe for New Year's. Having test-driven a few other "competitors" it stands head and shoulders above the rest in my opinion, but each to their own.
  • moose123moose123 Member Posts: 15
    Picked up a Q5, meteor grey, premium plus, navigation, rear air bags, Saturday at FSK Audi in Maryland. Great low key service people. Very fair pricing. Need to learn the MMI now....Wife loves the car.
  • runbird13runbird13 Member Posts: 3
    Fantastic buying experience at Len Stoler in Owings Mills, MD. Six week sales cycle from exploratory visits to delivery. Low key approach, responsive and fair throughout.
  • basquiat2010basquiat2010 Member Posts: 6
    Hello. I just received a quote of $46.4k for a Brilliant Black Premium Plus with Nav, S-Line, and Audi Care. Does that seem like a good deal? I'm tortured about this as I would like to negotiate lower but would also like to pull the trigger as I'm tired of haggling. Any insight would be very much appreciated. I am in CA.
    Hey basquiat2010,
    In NYC, I paid $45,500 for Premium Plus, 19" wheels, B&O stereo and Audi Care.
    Thanks for the prompt response, paulwithis. Did yours also include Nav?

I'm a little antsy and want to make sure I'm not getting hosed. I'm retiring a 1995 Toyota Camry, which I've been driving since high school so this is a watershed moment for me. LOL.

I think $46.4k is a good deal for a black premium plus with nav, s-line, and Audi care but wondering if it's worth haggling a little more. I'd be curious to know if people who purchased the same model with the same options fielded similar quotes or what your thoughts are.

Any insight welcome.
    This forum is awesome. It really makes the car purchasing process much easier to stomach. It's still been a headache but I feel much more informed. I'll be happy to contribute my $0.02 after all is said and done. The Q5 is a beautiful car and ride.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Hey,

Like u, I also own a toyota, bought it 4 years ago as new, no problems at all, except for a boring drive, but never has it given me any kind of trouble on a highway...

After reading lots of reviews and trying to search the perfect car, I've realized there is no perfect car. These days there is a risk of problem with any car. I use to think that toyota lexus had the best reliability, but after the recent recalls braking problems and all, What I've realized is every car manufacture has its share of problems.

Just wanted to add, do your research before getting the Q5, don't mean to ruin ur party of buying a new car, but I took a bit an interest in Audi sometime back, but after reading some of the transmission problems, kind of backed out.
    Hey basquiat2010,
    It sounds good to me. I had a problem with the dealer not being very helpful but the car itself is great.
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    For all of you looking at Q5, you might want to also take a look at Infiniti FX35. The 2010 AWD Infiniti loaded with more goodies than a Q5 sells for about $3,000- $5,000 less than Q5 because of a $4,000 incentive. I was able to easily get two local Infiniti dealerships to agree to price $4,500 below invoice on FX.

I'm not saying that FX is a better car than Q5, but is very comparable, more reliable, and costs a lot less. Just thought I would pass along thing information since very few people know how deeply FX is being discounted right now.

I've been shopping for both the Q5 and FX35, and we're still undecided which one we'll choose. It's also possible we'll keep our minivan for another year or two instead.
    dulnev,
    At the time I was getting my Q5 I would definitely have considered the FX 35. However, there were no incentives when I looked during the summer and it was 3k-5k more expensive for the same items.
    Discounting such as there is now may well have changed what I ended up with.
    I just purchased a Quartz Gray Premium Plus with the S-Line package, B&O sound system, Navigation, All Weather Floor Mats and Audi Care included for $47k. This does not include the 1st monthly payment Audi will foot on my behalf. Beautiful car but the negotiation process was very difficult and tiring and has somewhat dampened the satisfaction that should come with such a big ticket purchase.

Just a preliminary post as I'll go into full detail after this week (omitting names but will disclose the dealerships I worked with) as I'm waiting on the dealer to follow through on some promised items which are due to me (S-Line front grille needs to be replaced as there was a small chip) and am awaiting delivery on all weather floor mats.

It's been a painful process and frankly, for a luxury car purchase, the experience has been more trying than expected. This forum has been helpful so I will provide a full account of my buyer experience after all is said and done.

I'm happy with the price but not happy at all with the treatment I've received from the dealership. If I had known, it would've been worth paying a little more of a premium to be treated better.

At a cost of over $50k after all is said and done, you would assume that would afford some modicum of respect and professionalism. So far, that has not been the case.

To be continued.
    This is exactly how I felt after my purchase. I even called Audi HQ in Germany during the process to complain.
  • ostrich001ostrich001 Member Posts: 13
    basquiat2010, I am so glad that you posted your experience here - thanks for sharing!

I have not purchased my Q5 yet (hopefully I will!). I am in the Cleveland, OH, area and there are 4 Audi dealerships around town. Honestly I can only work with ONE of them. The largest one with the most sales is simply arrogant, to say the least. They have an obnoxious sales staff that do not follow up, do not respond to internet inquiries, and they just don't seem to care about my business. The one on the west side is even WORSE. Despite complaining to their sales manager that no one ever responded to my internet inquiry, they still did not get in touch with me. Forget about it! Then the one south of Cleveland is plain SLEAZY. They have a very poor reputation and the interaction by e-mail has been poor. They also use lots of mass/spam e-mails too, so once you get on their mailing list, then you are cursed forever! Is that really how they should treat their $50K vehicle customer? Also, they sell Mazda and Subaru too. There is nothing wrong with these brands, but they are just not premium. Why would Audi allow a non-premium brand dealer sell their cars? Isn't that silly? The only dealer that I can work with is the one on the far east side. Though it's smaller and the showroom is cramped and not very well designed/decorated, the sales manager and the sales person have been very nice and I think they are the only Audi dealer here that is worth my patronage.

On the other hand, when I went to the Lexus dealer, I was treated like a king. The staff were well-dressed and professional. No wonder why they do so well, despite the fact that they sell such boring cars! LOL! The Infiniti dealerships are very stylish but the staff people are just so so. The Mercedes Benz staff are also noticeably better than the average Audi dealership staff too.

P.S. What a great deal you got for your Q5! I wish I could get such a deal around here!!! How did you manage?
  • audirs4audirs4 Member Posts: 13
    Q5 inventories are tight for a lot of Audi dealers and it's one if the hottest cars out there. It's stays on the lot the least of almost any car out there in the market.

But buyers don't care. They want red carpet treatment and offer the dealer invoice on a 50k car with no incentives. And then spend 4 hours explaining all the latest technology.

Audis have pretty small profit margins and with the $ vs the euro, there's not much profit for the dealer or sales person to put up with customers high expectations and not wanting to pay anybody for their time.

Go sit inside of an $85,000 Lexus LS and look at the quality of materials. 70 grand for a Lexus suv that's a 15 year old truck platform You wonder why customers get taj mahal showrooms and so much attention in the showroom.

Your getting robbed and you gladly pay the money.

You've got to wait in line 3 months just to order Prestige Diesel Q7s.

Audi has the hottest product line-up in the car industry.
  • dssxxxxdssxxxx Member Posts: 69
    If you read back through the posts, there are numerous incuding mine, that tell you how to get 6% minimum off list.

he wife got 2010 Q5 Prestige for $50,050 (guessimate) with 6% off and they threw in the Audi Care....not that she puts enough miles on it to use it. That brings it down to the $47K you people are paying for the Premium Plus.
    To all who have had issues with Audi dealers.
    This is the number I called in Germany. I got a call back the very next day (from the local dealer who never returned my calls) with an update on my car. It may be just a coincidence but it's worth letting them know our experiences.
    AUDI LOCATION
    Postfach 100457
    D-85045 Ingolstadt, Germany (Map)
    Phone: +49-841-89-0
    dssxxxx, I read your earlier post and you and your wife got a great deal. Just wanted to clarify on my end that that the Premium Plus model we purchased included the S-Line package, Nav, and B&O Sound System. They also included the Audi Care for the $47k total. This does not include the 1st month payment covered by Audi. There are other incentives for which we did not qualify as we are first time Audi owners. Sticker price on this model was $49,740.

What we purchased is essentially the Prestige model without the Side Assist, Milano Leather interior, Advanced Key, and Thermo Cup Holder. From what I understand, dealers are willing to be more aggressive on the Prestige models b/c those are not selling as quickly as their Premium Plus inventory. In the end, we preferred to pay extra for the S-Line package over the features that came with the Prestige. We did get the B&O sound system, however.

I think pricing also depends on location. For us, we found more competitive pricing in Southern California (more inventory/dealerships) vs. Northern California (less inventory/dealerships/less perceived consumer price sensitivity). We purchased ours in Southern CA though we reside in Northern CA.
    Yours sounds good.

The side assist was a must, after having the Q7 rental in FL. Advanced key is great.

But, this may not be good news for some Audi owners but I (A8L) and wife (Q5) both agree that the Bose on my car really sounds better than the B&O on hers. Now this just a personal preference from us and others might disagree.
    audirs4, I somewhat disagree with you. Reading through prior posts, I don't think people are expecting royal treatment. They just want to be treated with respect and professionalism. I don't think that's asking for too much.

When I first thought about purchasing an Audi, I made the assumption that the quality of the brand extends not only to the cars but also to the people selling the cars. That hasn't always been the case. To be fair, there have been a few dealers who were very professional (ex: Rector Audi in Burlingame), so much so that I promised to write them a very positive review on Yelp and other sites even though we couldn't come to an agreement on price. At Rector, I was treated humanely and that in itself went a long way. No red carpet, just a saleswoman who competently answered our questions while holding her ground on pricing, acknowledging that the Q5 is in low supply in a high demand market.

Buyers care just as much as sellers do. I don't expect all Audi dealers to care about the buyer experience but I do think those that do will profit the most. It just seems to make good business sense to me. Gripes about buyer expectations are more representative of the fact that the old business model of selling cars doesn't work as well it used to now that sites like this can be found on the internet. The old business model, to me, seems predicated on the fact that most buyers were not equipped with the information that people have now. Sellers now have to adjust accordingly and in some cases have to learn something called "customer service", because there aren't as many easy prey out there. It doesn't help the seller either that the buyer or potential buyer can go onto a site like this and fully detail their experience to others.
    It's possible to get 6% off MSRP on a Q5. But only through certain programs.

Audi has a supplier list that gets 6% off MSRP (less destination). But you have to be employeed through certain verified companies (ie, IBM) and print out a form from your company. Audi has Loyalty progroms for returning Audi customers that help with discounts as well. You could get up to 1500 in cash if you currently have an Audi.

But in most markets, you're not going to buy a 50k Prestige Q5 and get 3k off MSRP if you just walk in off the street without any of those said programs.

There are very few Q5's sitting on dealers lots right now. It's difficult for dealers trade Q5's and lots of places are scrambling for inventory. It's not a sales pitch and just reality for a good portion of US Audi dealers.

Look at the resale of used 09 Q5's - even if you can find them. Dealers are selling used ones for crazy prices for almost what a new one costs. You might pay more for the Q5 - but you're not going to lose your shirt the moment you drive off the lot.

Audi has really turned things around on the resale front. When it come to the GLK, X3, various japanese cars that compete with the the Q5, it's the best of the bunch with market value.

None of those can touch what the Q5's are bringing @ auction right now when they come up for sale.
    Well.......another poster that does not have the right information.

The programs being offered (that I know about) are called "friends & family". When we got the 6% discount, we told the salesman who we were and that my wife worked for XXXXX and we were to get 6% off the list price. We were never asked to show ID or confirm, so your information about filling out a form is bogus.

Also, gave the info to an employee of mine that went to a different Audi dealer in our area. She gave the info and said she worked for "the husband of the XXXXX employee" and was given 6% discount.

So, if you are going to spew propaganda, be sure of your facts.
    Friends and Family is a totally different program than Supplier. If your a Supplier and your company is on the list, you must print out that form submit it to the Audi dealer under the "supplier program". Audi gives a portion of that money back to the dealer to help them out - as 6% off give them 0 profit on most of their cars.

Please don't tell me I'm spewing propaganda. I know what I'm talking about.

Friends and Family is a special program that's only used on discretion of regional managers if you don't qualify. Sometimes to solve problems, help out a service customer, or just reward a long time Audi owner. It's done for PR reasons and it's not available to everybody.

http://corporatesalessite.com/audi/ffCert.asp
    I see you edited your post. Good move.

As to your link. Great to look at and read.

Was not needed for my wife's car or my employee. Seems like it was used at the discretion of both dealers to make a sale. My employee bought off the lot and my wife ordered her's. No one questioned either or requested any number, etc. PR is usually used for everybody, what's why it's called Pulbic Relations.
    I think you're being arrogant and mis-informing people.

You can't just walk into an Audi dealer and say hey "give me the special Friends and Family discount" on a Q5 as a negotiating tool and get 6% off.

It's not going to happen. You have to be involved with some sort of corprate program and it's used with permission of corprate and regional managers.
    Guess you didn't read my post. I also guess you are mis-informed.
    Your posts are pretty clear.

You're making it sound like anybody off the street can qualify for some of these special corporate programs and anybody can use it as a negotiating tool. They can't.

Friends and Family discounts can be used at the discretion of regional managers to solve problems, help service customers, give money to potential VIP customers, loyal Audi customes, or whatever they deem as special circustances.

But the money is coming from somewhere and being provided by Audi corporate.

Free money does not exist my friend.
    You must be from Podunk, USA.

I am far from a VIP and yes, I walked in and (long story short) negoiated a price and then mentioned the F&F discount. Was immediately given "less then invoice" spiel and given the discount. No other questions, etc.

You may not be able to get these perks but we buy new cars every 2 years and once I start dealing with a dealership (bought our 2 Audi's from different dealerships), I get pretty good discounts. 6% is only a good deal if it's a hot car. The Q5 at the time was available and is still availabe in large quantities in my area (metro NY).
  • reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    Thanks, but the FX is just plain ugly...and it's not an Audi.
  • newcarsearch1newcarsearch1 Member Posts: 6
    I’m torn between GLK 350 and Audi Q5 (both AWD and packed). What is a general opinion which one I should buy. The car is for my wife. She drives 25 miles one way. And we may use it on weekend and some traveling. I’m really really confused. Alex
  • ostrich001ostrich001 Member Posts: 13
    I liked both the Q5 and the GLK 350 but in rather different ways. I like the Q5 for its styling, the very sedan-like interior and handling. The gas mileage is acceptable too. I like the GLK for its very smooth and quiet ride, and the whisper quiet cabin. However, what the GLK loses big time is the exterior and interior styling. I found the exterior to be too boxy and truck like, and the interior to be too... well, truck like again! It just looks so basic and square. Then the gas mileage for the GLK is ridiculously low. Just for these reasons, I would take the Q5 over the GLK any time.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Have your wife take an extensive test drive (an hour or more), and pick the one she likes the best..

While I have specific preferences and needs in vehicles, your wife's may be very different. You've picked two somewhat similar competitors.. While afficianados could nit-pick over which one is more reliable, less expensive to maintain, and higher quality, these two would generally be considered a toss-up in most of those categories..

I doubt that in the long-term, there would be much difference in cost... so, pick the one she likes the best..

I'm really a fan of one, over the other... but, none of my reasons would matter to your wife... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• haydonhaydon Member Posts: 1
    Trying to find a Black/Black Prestige and not having much luck. I am in the midwest and can order one but I really dont feel like waiting until May. Anyone have any ideas?
    Just have your dealer search the data bases and they should find one for you.

When my buddy wanted another Porsche, the dealer found one in NY and had it shipped to FL.

Or order one and it should take 8-10 weeks...........it took 9 weeks for my wife's Q5 Prestige.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    I'll suggest checking out the new RX350 over the GLK350 which I personally don't like.