Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Will I buy a 4Runner and suddenly have the urge to travel the unbeaten path???

Yes!

tidester, host
  • terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    I don't get these comments about how horrible the 4Runner's ride is. I think it rides very smooth and so do all my passengers. I must be on the right track if every review and road test agrees with my opinion.

The only thing to see if the ride is ok is for you to test drive it as everyone says.

And you won't look like a poser. As Big Red says, "It looks Guuud on you baby!"
    That's the thing about money, a woman's is just as good as a man's. Imagine that.
  • ladyofluxuryladyofluxury Member Posts: 93
    Saw many posts dedicted to rattling in the dash and how diagnosis would required disassembling the whole dash. First year design defect maybe? I can't say but that is scary.
  • alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    The 4Runner ride is remarkably smooth, regardless of vehicle class, but especially for a midsized SUV. The optional X-REAS suspension improves the handling with little if any sacrifice to ride quality. The leather seats are also very comfortable. I hardly believe that the 4Runner's ride is harsh in any regard, for a truck.

The optional JBL stereo upgrade is great overall. I am happy with the sound quality and bass reproduction. Of course, an aftermarket system is likely to be better since the much can be customized. The one gripe that I have about the upgraded JBL stereo is that if you have the NAV system no CD changer is available. An aftermarket one could always be added, but it would likely need to be a FM-Modulation type.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Hummer H2, but I am yet to see a woman driving one!
  • manukumarmanukumar Member Posts: 9
    I have a 03 4Runner SR5 V8 4X4. Recently, I noticed that when travelling over 75mph, there is a high frequency whining noise from the engine, especially when going up minor inclines on the freeway. This was very mild initially, but seems to be increased a bit in volume recently. Has any one else experienced this problem ? Is it a defect with my vehicle or a general design flaw ? I find it hard to believe the latter is the case, since this engine is supposed to be in its 3rd or 4th year since it was originally introduced and something like this should have been fixed by Toyota by now.
    Can VSC be turned off, like I thought, or is it permanently engaged, as Car&Driver claims?

Thank you!
    VSC is turned off when you lock the differential.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I 've had my V-8 Sport up o 75 (but not much more). I notice increased wind noise, but no engine whine. I have about 15K miles on mine. I run 87 Octane in my 4Runner, too.
    The JBL system is fine. It needs to be tuned for what you listen to. I have my base set at 4, mid range at 3, high at 4. I have it faded to the back at 3. I have surround sound "on". I listen to oldies rock.
    War's "Low Rider " used to be one of the best test songs for a stereo system. It sounds awesome on the JBL.
  • richinraleighrichinraleigh Member Posts: 18
    Have had it for all of 2 weeks now and am more impressed every time I drive it (when I can wrestle it from my wife). One of the quietest vehicles I've been in...comparable to a friends Escalade. Ride is on the firm side, but was much better than expected. Very comfortable and maneuverable. No problems yet...just seems like a tight, solid, well built vehicle.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Why would you want to turn off VSC?
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    So he can make cool car commercials with the 4runner doing huge sliding turns on dusty dry lakebeds of course! Everyone's doing it, no?

On the serious side, I wanted mine turned off when I was offroading and I hit a big straight away with sand.. to keep speed up and to keep the car from thinking it was about to die with all the wheel spinning, I locked the diff and turned off vsc.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    The 4Runner's ride is remarkably good, for a truck. It's handling is remarkably good, for a truck. It's braking is good, for a truck.

But it isn't a car, it's a solid-rear-axle truck and it feels like one.

On turkey-day, we drove to our friend's house in my wife's car, a Mercedes C240. That was the first time I had driven my wife's car since getting my 4Runner in August. I immediately noticed serveral things. First, the ride is significantly better. The C240 doesn't have the side-to-side head toss that you get in the 4Runner over some bumps. The C240 also doesn't have the front-to-back pogoing. The C240's handling is remarkably better and it tracks the lane like it is on rails -- in comparison, the 4Runner wanders a bit. There was noticeably less wind noise in the C240. None of that is a surprise.

The 4Runner is quite good for what it is -- a body-on-frame truck with a solid rear axle. But it will never handle or ride or brake as well as a good car.
    I'm sorry but comparing the ride of a sedan to a 4300 lb SUV is not even close to comparable.

You need to compare the 4Runner to a Pilot, Highlander, Pathfinder, etc.
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    I have to say that the 4Runner ride and handling is very good. But yes, it still lets you know it's a truck. I don't have a problem with that, because I wanted a truck. Still, I've never found the ride jarring, harsh, or unappealing. I've driven it both to the store, and on a couple 2000 mile road trips, and I've never had cause to complain.

Driving on some twisty mountain roads, (I have X-REAS), I'd say it was almost sporty....

As for manueverability, it's really not much more difficult to park than my 1998 Audi A4. The turning radius is about the same. It performs just as well in downtown Denver as it does on the trails.
  • likalarlikalar Member Posts: 108
    And there you have it! I couldn't agree more! You, RichinRaleigh, terrafirma, nedzel, have nailed it!
    Okay, now what's for lunch? :-)
    Larry
    P.S. I finally found a flaw: My center rear-view mirror has the standard manual dimming button to reduce glare at night. When I use this feature I have to readjust the mirror slightly to get the same rear view. Is this a recall item? Who can I sue to get this fixed? Will Toyota pay for a rental while I get therapy for me and the truck? What gives? Help!!!! :-)
    Larry
  • adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    terrafirma - I think it is critical to compare the ride of the 4Runner to a car when the buyer is a car driver. Most people are not prepared for the ride of a truck. Most new vehicles are gonna feel good. And it may be that the new vehicle will feel good for a long time, even forever. In fact, many people prefer the drive of a truck. But to say that the ride of a 4Runner is as smooth as the ride of even the average passenger car borders on the bizarre, unless, of course, you are a truck salesman trying to sell trucks to women.

Trucks and cars drive differently. Why would anyone deny that?

I like driving in the family's Explorer. I like the upright position of my body. I like the sight lines. I hate entering and exiting parking lots in it - the head throw, etc. Some people like that rugged feel. Maybe it makes them feel manly? Probagbly it just reminds them, subconsciously, that they are in a rugged vehicle with extra utility. It doesn't appeal to me, however (unless I am in a situation when I need that utility and ruggedness).
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    This actually reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons. Homer is looking at some ultra high line vehicle because he gets a free weekend spa treatment if he takes a test drive. He is wearing a bowler hat and monocle and asks the salesman in his fake snooty voice, "How does this car compare, say to a locomotive?"
    LOL
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    Yeah, but does it give off a sulpher smell? Paint the cladding on it and sue; the American way.

Seriously, after coming out of a '98 into an '03, the changes in ride improvement and handling are huge. I personally would rather drive a 4Runner on the highway than a large majority of cars.
    When did I say the 4Runner drives as smoothly as a car?
    I even said to compare the 4Runner to a sedan is wrong.

People should test drive to see if they like the ride, like I said before too.

There is no way I would say the 4Runner rides like a car because it's not a car. I actually don't like car comparisons because the auto companies start making the SUV's more carlike and kind of defeats the purpose of having an SUV in the first place.

I DO think the 4Runner rides very smoothly and as good if not better than the competition.
  • 3toyboy3toyboy Member Posts: 30
    bcmalibu:
    As terrafirma said, lock the differential, and VSC turns off.

To those who will explore their Runner's envelope, be prepared for the sounds and reactions when off-roading with VSC. To give some background, I do an above avg. amount of off-roading, at least for someone in Los Angeles. In my second generation 4Runner, I found that I prefer 2WD for 30(+)mph dirt roads - turning is more relaxed and predictable.

My first off-road foray with the wife's 4th gen 4Rnr revealed interesting results (yes, ladyofluxury, you won't be alone, there are other 4Rnrs where Momma is the primary driver). Next time, I would do things in reverse order, I would see what DAC and HAC sound/feel like, and then I would progress to VSC. But alas, that dang 4.7 liter engine just baited me before I could get to the slow stuff.

Others have posted surprise/concern when their DAC/HAC/ABS electronics kicked in. Yes, those horrible sounds are actually the whole electronics pkg. doing their thing, just as designed. Well, VSC sounds quite similar, and I was unprepared for them to kick in midway into a fast left-hander in the dirt. The same turn in my '90 Rnr would result in the rear end stepping out ever so slightly. No, jaredmsd, nothing of truck commercial quality, but things are a bit loose. After the initial surprise when VSC intervened, I found the wife's 2003 Rnr to best suit my style of driving with the center diff locked (and by default, VSC off). I guess my ride (our '90 Rnr) will be reserved for when I pretend to be Petter Solberg's brother. Bottom line - drifting might be better suited to the V6 4WD Rnr, rather than the V8 4WD Rnr, at least for drivers like myself. I don't get out as much as I would like, (who does), so I am not as proficient (yet) at driving quick with all four wheels locked. The 2WD option on the V6 would give me back "That lovin' feelin'". Or maybe not...can VSC be turned off when the V6 is in 2WD? Anyone? Do I regret the V8?

No, non, et NON! I am a boarderline torque freak, and besides, Momma loves her truck, and as I have learned, "Happy wife = happy life." It doesn't hurt that I absolutely love the rig, too.
    I got used to the DAC sounds. They are actually comforting now! Descending STEEP terrain with and without DAC, you have much more control-predictible control. (My definition of steep is that you feel that you can step out of the front windshield. Not a steep dirt road, but a STEEP trail.)

It can be boring because it descends with such surefooted ease instead of driving by the seat of your pants, sliding a bit, locking up the wheels a bit, etc.

But the 4Runner is so good it makes all the usual tough stuff seem easy.

I agree with others, in some off-road situations it is very good to have VSC turned off.
    I would have been in heaven and forever loved Toyota if they offered electonic front and rear lockers but such is life!
    This discussion came out of ladyofluxury's request for information about the 4Runner. Her requirements for a vehicle could be filled by a station wagon, since she has no need for going off-road. Therefore, comparing the ride of a 4Runner to a sedan or station wagon is reasonable, particularly since that is where she is coming from.

I haven't driven any of the car-based SUVs, like the Pilot or Highlander. Given that they have independent suspensions and no transfer case, I strongly suspect that they will ride and drive more like a car than a 4Runner.

All vehicles are compromises. The 4Runner gives you pretty good off-road and towing capability at the expense of handling, fuel economy, and ride comfort. For someone like ladyofluxury, who does not need off-road or towing capability, it might make sense to consider both station wagons and car-based SUVs, because their compromises may be closer to her requirements.
    I am referring to why this comment by adp1:
    "But to say that the ride of a 4Runner is as smooth as the ride of even the average passenger car borders on the bizarre, unless, of course, you are a truck salesman trying to sell trucks to women.

Trucks and cars drive differently. Why would anyone deny that? "

I never made any such comments.

While I understand and appreciate your recap, Nedzel, I don't think my reasons outweigh anyone elses reasons for owning a certain vehicle. If someone wants to buy and enjoy the 4Runner, it is none of my business how they use it.
    I simply offer my opinions of the vehicle based on how I use it and hope it is of interest to potential and current owners.
  • silverjettasilverjetta Member Posts: 35
    I guess it doesn't make too much sense to talk about car-truck comparison. Everybody has different tastes and each car (and truck) has different ride. I guess what's important here is how many people would be surprised or complain when he/she trade in his/her car for 4Runner and found that 4Runner has truck-ish and uncomfortable ride.

After more than 20 years of driving, I thought I was an experienced driver. When I testdrove a 4Runner, I was wondering what's meant by truck-like ride. I thought it was just a very comfortable car (oops, I mean truck) and I'm still thinking in this way after 1,000 miles with it. Sure it hops more when I drive over a big bump but is this it? Maybe I'm not experienced enough to tell the hint of truck-like ride within 4Runner after all, but if majority of drivers think in this way, who cares? I wonder how many owners of the new 4Runners are complaining about the ride....

BTW, I live in Maryland and wonder if somebody knows great off-road trails and activities I should try. Obviously, I'm a novice in this kind of activity.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    For those who expect and demand the anesthetic and ultra-quiet ride of a big coupe or sedan, then that's probably what they should be driving. And for those who decidedly prefer the ride characteristics of SUVs that feature a split rear axle, then that would seem to narrow their choices as well.

As for those who would negatively or disparagingly describe the new 4Runner's riding and handling characteristics as "truck-like", I would first respond by asking whether or not they've actually driven the vehicle. Secondly, it is my opinion that a given SUV would deserve being described as "truck-like" if it's ride/handling characteristics were (even during a short drive) clearly found to be unrefined, harsh, jarring, sloppy, noisy, and above all, FATIGUING. This is hardly how *I* would describe my new 4Runner. Instead, I would describe it as being tight, smooth, responsive, nimble, agile, powerful, inviting, refined, higly capable, and above all, an ANTEDOTE to fatigue and boredom. In short, I am (like many of you) simply in love with this magnificent vehicle, warts and all.
    Can't agree more.
    terra: sorry about the confusion - I didn't mean to say that you compared the 4Runner ride to a car, though it does look like that is what I meant since that comment was in the same paragraph as the comment I made that WAS directed to you.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you guys are saying. I think the 4Runner is great. In all likelihood, Lady will buy it and love it. But if Lady is used to driving a small sedan or coupe (which she is), driving the 4Runner will be different. In many ways, much better.

I agreeing that comparing a car to anm SUV is silly, but if a person IS actually in the market for either, then comparisons are useful. Heck, I don't even think folks should be comparing the Cayenne and the FX45, but people do it (and for good reason, I guess).

I didn't mean to "disparage" the 4Runner with my remarks. Just meant to remind Lady that it IS a truck. I have only heard one person say it drives as well as his A4 (which is hard to believe, frankly, but I've not driven the A4). Most of you would confirm that it does not have the same type of ride as a car, right? Am I that off-base?
    Nah, you aren't off base. :)

I guess the first question a potential customer should ask themselves is do they want a car or an SUV. Then think about the potential uses that will most likely be encounted. For most people, a mid sized sedan fits the bill nicely.

Hmm, you wouldn't compare an FX45 with a Cayenne? They are similar in many ways (other than price). I suppose that the Cayenne would be better off road in some ways, but considering it's price, I doubt it will ever see the well worn off road trails.

I have test driven many midsized SUVs and I consider the 4Runner with X-REAS the best riding/performing mid-sized SUV out there. Not only that, the seats are supremely comfortable (far more comfortable than the C classs Mercedes).Of course, a Corolla would out corner and kill the 4Runner in the slalom, but now we aren't comparing apples and oranges :) I was also reasonably impressed when parallel parking. The 4Runner is my first SUV puchase. Initially, I didn't expect to do much parallel parking, but one day, I had to. The turning radius is better than on some cars, but this is only a greater advantage in lower speed maneuvers (ie. parallel parking,off road driving).
    Ah the confusion of the internet. adp3, thanks for clearing that up.

No, the characteristics of a live rear axle and 1500lbs extra will definitely not give the same ride as a independent suspension A4. I still say it's silly to compare the two. People compare their Honda Civic to a Porsche 911- I think that's silly too. Just be honest to what the vehicle is.

But, Toyota did a really excellent job with the on road ride of the 4Runner. If all trucks rode like the 4Runner, we would have never moved to 4 wheel independent suspensions!

I feel the on road ride is "luxurious". Not in a pampered grey poupon way but in a sporty, solid comfortable way.
    It's just really nice to sit behind the wheel, tap the steering wheel radio control to my fav CD, and enjoy! It's great in the city and great in the mountains.
    The 4Runner isn't trendy, it isn't flash in the pan. It is really solid quality built on a chassis that could easily survive jungles, deserts and the mall, very thoughtfully designed and high technology engineering BUT still very simple and reliable.
    I dunno, I'm with kheintz1, I just love this car!
    Looooooooving you is easy, cause you're beautiful

Busting trails with you, is all I wanna doooooo.......
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    I don't know about you, but I can't bring myself to call the 4runner's ride to be 'truck-like'

Try driving a mid-80's Bronco, then a mid 90's Blazer, a silverado, f-150, and then tell me the 4runners ride is 'truck-like'.

It isn't a mercedes or a volvo, but damn, it isn't a true truck until you can feel like you've already rolled over in a turn when all your 4 tires are still on the ground!

Personally I'd take the stiff ride over the floaty boat ride any day. Every city has at least one road/highway that has a series of whoop-di-woos that'll induce vomitting in any boat-like ride! Highway 80 in Sacramento, and highway 52 in san diego if you are ever in the area :).
    Hehheh, I agree. Maybe we should call the 4Runner's ride "truck-esque" instead? LOL
    Like I said, the 4Runner has one of the best rides of any midsize suv.

If they are interested in buying a 4Runner, they can read my opinion on it. I don't care what they end up using it for. If they don't need the off road capability, they might need to tow. If they don't want a minivan or car then what?

People interested in buying a 4Runner, imo, don't wany someone telling them to go buy something else. They want to know the characteristics of the 4Runner.

Personally, I don't think there are tradeoffs. Poorer handling and rougher ride? The 4Runner is smooth and handles great.

All I can say is for people considering the 4Runner to go test drive the vehicle and judge for yourself.
    Fer crying out loud, terrafirma, chill out dude. I agree that the 4Runner has a good ride, for an SUV. I bought one after all. I drive it every day.

For people who don't tow and don't drive off road, they may want to consider something else. It's not out of line to suggest alternatives that might better meet their needs.

Handles great? For an SUV, sure. Compared to most SUVs, the 4Runner handles better. Compared to some of the soft-roader SUVs, the 4Runner probably doesn't not match the handling of a Cayenne or the Infiniti FX35/45. Compared to a sport sedan, it doesn't come close. It can't. It weighs 30% more, its center of gravity is a lot higher, its solid rear axle causes it to step out on bumpy corners, it's tires give up too soon, and it doesn't have the turn-in.

That doesn't mean it is a bad SUV, nor is that a criticism of you or your choice of vehicle. After all, I bought the exact same vehicle.

But the 4Runner is a traditional body-on-frame, solid-rear-axle SUV with all the advantages and disadvantages that implies.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    I've just taken time to review all of the numerous comments and opinions that have been posted at this forum over the past week or so, and I would like to offer some further thoughts.

First, there are certain "armchair" respondants who seem to be quite vocal and opinionated about the advantages and disadvantages of the new 4Runner, yet based on their member profiles they don't seem to either own or regularly drive a 4Runner. The possible motivations of such individuals are curious to ponder, and I'll just leave it that.

Secondly, there seem to be several related arguments being put forth by some, who claim that unless one plans to take either a 4WD or AWD 4Runner (or other SUV) "off-road", that the added expense and capabilities of such a vehicle is largely unnecessary, overpriced, and even foolish. Numerous (perjorative?) comments have been made about whether such a vehicle would ever be needed if the toughest duty it would see only involved being driven to and from an unplowed parking lot of a local mall after a light snowfall. In my opinion, those who would put forth such arguments may (at best) not understand, appreciate, and accept the multitude of evidence-based reasons as to why a well-designed 4WD/AWD system (be it found in a car, a truck, or an SUV) tends to be inherently more stable and safe than a vehicle with only a single drive wheel. For those who would like more education in this regard (and who also possess the required attention span) I would recommend reading and carefully studying the following links: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/four-wheel-drive.htm with special note of this subsection:
     http://auto.howstuffworks.com/four-wheel-drive2.htm

Once you understand the information and instructional animations provided by this excellent on-line tutorial (as well as exploring the related educational links provided), the only questions remaining should be whether one's needs and wants would be best met by buying either a 4wd/awd CAR, vs. a 4wd/awd SUV or PICKUP.

Thirdly, it is a fact that a vehicle's stability and safety (regardless of the road or surface conditions) is closely tied to the ability of its wheels [especially its POWERED wheel(s)] to maintain positive traction, even on DRY pavement. No traction, no CONTROL-- when this happens, start praying, and if you squeak by, then maybe you'll start thinking more about
    4WD/AWD, be it in a car or truck. Also, the better AWD/4WD vehicles have brakes and other safety features that are integrated with the drivetrain data, making them safer than ever, unless the driver does something really unwise.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    Here in Canada, I have yet to see an 04 4Runner, that comes standard with the tire pressure monitoring system. Does anyone have any knowledge how it works? On Nissan, wireless transmitters ($250 Cdn. each) are mounted on the factory rims. If a tire pressure drops below a certain value, a warning light illuminates. They do not use rubber tire valves, but metal units that can get damaged by scuffing the curb. Should you use winter steel rims, the lamps will flash until you either tape over the instrument panel, or remove the bulb.

Thanks
    when I said I wouldn't compare the FX35/45 with the Cayenne it was only because of the price difference, that's all. I do understand why someone would compare the two.

I agree with kheintz about the AWD/4WD thing, though I haven't put my money where my mouth is yet. Looking at the XC90 (becaue I don't need the offroad ability and my wife is gonna drive it every day and that's the vehicle she likes)

as many have said, keep the wife happy - especially when it ain't that hard to do. Hell, this is the first time I've ever seen her excited about a car, so I might as well go with it.

what is weird about kheintz's post is that is my second howstuffworks reference TODAY, and I can't think of the last time anyone mentioned that site to me

As to kheintz questioning motivations, I just think it is silly for folks to completely overlook cars and jump to SUVs when a car would do the trick for them. Lady of Lux's expressd needs seemed to be met with a car. Heck, maybe even an SRX. I think people who don't know HOW to drive an SUV shouldn't be driving them. You guys just take it for granted that other folks know what you do about operating their vehicle. But folks don't. Most folks are clueless. They didn't have buttons to push to engage or disengage anything. They turned the key and off they went. Turn on DSC? Turn it off?

:-)
    Oh, I see. I agree with you. There is a tremendous disparity between the Inifinit FX and the Porshe Cayenne.

The SRX is nice, but I hear that there is a servere wind buffetting problem when the huge moonrood opens. It is also very pricey. A Pacifica is much cheaper, but may have less cache. I don't know much about the reliability of either since there is little info out there for these new models. The Volvo is nice also, but I would worry more about long term reliability and maintenance.

As for choosing vehicles, you are right. For years, families have somehow gotten along with all sorts of vehicles. For some families, a Corolla could be a primary vehicle (although you wouldn't be able to buy much at the price club :). The sweet spot for many years has been the mid sized sedan, but so many families aggregated towards minivans (perhaps bigger than necessary?). We can definitely see though that crossover SUVs are where the market is heading as they have the best of all roads for most people. Fortunately, there is more than enough choice for all.

I don't think that the skills to drive an SUV are all that different for a sedan. Basically, you need to know to brake earlier, not drive as quickly in turns (esp. dec. radius turns), and not to be overconfident in driving (particularly in treacherous road conditions).
  • rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    I have read here that the tire pressure monitoring system on the 4Runner works by monitoring the relative rotation speed of the 4 wheels (through the ABS system sensors) and warns you if one wheel consistently turns more revolutions than the others, as would be caused by its diameter decreasing from underinflation.
  • ukblokeukbloke Member Posts: 7
    > In my opinion, those who would put forth such
    > arguments may (at best) not understand,
    > appreciate, and accept the multitude of
    > evidence-based reasons as to why a well-
    > designed 4WD/AWD system (be it found in a car,
    > a truck, or an SUV) tends to be inherently
    > more stable and safe than a vehicle with only
    > a single drive wheel.

I agree - automobiles with a "single drive wheel" really suck. Going round and round in circles gets old so quick! I guess motorbikes are kinda fun, but they do get pretty unsafe with all of these 4000-5000 lb monster trucks on the roads.

Just an attempt to inject some humour ...
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    Terrafirma and jaredsmd, I thought, were quite level headed in their whole assessment of this "thing".

To paraphrase, in Alabama jargon, "the 4Runner ain't no car, but it is damn close...and by g*d, the handling and power dwarf anything in its class and most cars. Call a 4Runner whatever you want; I don't give a rip."(Slightly sanitized)

Kheintz, you must be a textbook writer or grant writer. I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts; a shade long winded, but well thought out and on the money.

Adp3, you are a pot stirrer. Welcome to the board. I do ask that you go drive a 4Runner first before you make another rash comparison. I saw your posts on the board "I Don't Like SUV's. Why Do You?" You make some valid points, but drive a 4Runner, you'll be hooked. Good evening.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Has anyone put 265/75/16 tires on their 16" rims?

I am curious to find out if the slightly larger size will fit in the spare tire storage area underneath the truck. The tow hitch looks like it may make it a tight squeeze.

thanks
    chill out? I think you totally misread my post because I am not upset at all. I was just stating my opinion.

I think saying the 4Runner "handles great for an suv" is...odd.

Uh, It is an suv so the 4Runner handles great-- which is what I said.

Should the 4Runner handle great for a sports car?

People just need to go drive it. At this point in the conversation, there really is nothing further need to be said since we are all basically saying similar things.
    I agree with you. The 4Runner, while a truck, rides very comfortably and handles great. It is designed as an off road capable vehicle. It is awesome off road.
       For an off road capable truck, the ride is incredibly smooth and very quiet.
       I made an excellent choice getting a 4Runner.
  • dmbst68dmbst68 Member Posts: 50
    I'm still reading the board about the 4Runner. I like the Limited, but couldn't afford it. My price range is the 4x4 Sport V6. Is it possible to get dealer installed leater seats (with or w/o heated) installed? How much typically? Has anyone done this? If so, your opinions on the quality, durability, etc. Would it be possible to have the same exact factory leather seats that are in the Ltd. version installed by the dealer on the aforementioned Sport model?

This is one of my few complaints about the 4Runner.
    When I bought my 2004 4Runner (17inch), the pressure indicator was blinking for some reason and it had to go back to service 5 min after the purchase. A junior mechanic tried to fix it. First looked for a "reset" button and then was instructed by a senior mechanic how to fix it. However it was too complicated that he couldn't figured it out. After 10-15 min of try, the senior mechanic finally took it over and explained how it works to the junior mechanics, sales person, and me.

Well, I couldn't really understand how it works because it was VERY complicated (sophisticated as he put it). He also said 4Runner tire monitoring system is most advanced among Toyota vehicles. Basically, the valvestems (including the spare tire) transmit signals when the pressure is lower than a threshold. To reset the monitoring system, you have to deflate all the tire once and start inflate one by one. Each time one tire is inflated, it seems that you have to turn on and off the vehicle.

The metalic valvestem costs $150-200 each (very cool looking). The wheel is specially designed to accommodate the valvestem so you can't simply buy new wheels. He said the wheel is "very expensive" too. He also said that I should think twice before I bring this car to a regular tire store for tire change at least people out there become familiar with this new system. We also adviced "don't side-swipe this wheel"!
  • baki44baki44 Member Posts: 24
    I have a 2004 4Runner 2WD and I got my Leather seats from dealer but I know they got from "Classic Soft Trim" Company. I got stone cloth interior and they put exactly same matching color Leather. The price is $1200 with 3years 36000 warranty. I'm very happy with the quality.
    Go to www.classicsofttrim.com and you will see they have a alot of locations all over the country
    you will leave your car two days for the installation.