Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi Q5 Lease Questions

Comments

• pddypddy Member Posts: 3
    Thanks very much, Carman. I went ahead with a lease of this vehicle due to rarity in the area, and the local dealer had the color I wanted. This deal was done at the end of September and I love the car. But was the money factor different then ? I was given a higher money factor than what you have listed for October. This was for top-tier credit. When I asked about it, I was told it was non-negotiable. They said the money factor was higher for our area due to demand here in the snow belt. I negotiated about 1500 off list. Is there anything I can/should do now if the dealer wasn't being honest about the money factor?
  • lacargirllacargirl Member Posts: 9
    I'm looking at lease quotes for a Q5 3.2 with premium plus, MSRP of $46,875. Can you please help me with what I should expect for a monthly payment on a 36 month lease, $0 down, 10,000 miles/year? I'm trading in another Audi at the end of the lease so I think I qualify for discounts.

Thanks!
  • jamiroquaijamiroquai Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone! I'm an international student that will be graduating this December and am interested in by a new Q5 2.0T Premium Plus with the backing of Audi's college graduate offer. I currently do not have any credit history in the United States but according to what I've been reading, that shouldn't be an issue. I would be grateful if someone with experience can provide me with an idea of what the lease rates would be in the current market for someone using the college graduate offer.Oh and I am in the Chicago area( I don't know if that is relevant at all but anyways...).

Looking for a 36 Month Lease
    2012 Q5 2.0 Premium Plus with NAV, B&O, Rear Side Airbags

Thanks!!
  • murphy24murphy24 Member Posts: 16
    Hello Car Man,
    We live near Cleveland Ohio and My wife is coming out of an 08 Lexus RX lease in December and would like to get into something new.
    We test drove a 2011 Q5 3.2 with Nav and the standard sound system and she loved it. (of course we didn't let him know how much...) We were Quoted $46,350 out the door. We want to lease for $0 down, 39 months, 15,000 mi per year. His monthly figure came to a total of $758 per month.
    Does this look like a good Quote? (seems a bit high to me) I'm not sure how to figure the money factor thingamajig that you often speak of, so I wonder I you could direct us to the area on the site that instructs us how to figure that out for future reference. Thank you for your help.
  • dave1129dave1129 Member Posts: 11
    Can someone provided the MFs and residuals for the Audi Q5 for November?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hello nilesd. This was a tricky one, I had to make some calls to find out the answer for you. Audi Financial Services does offer pre-paid leases. It provides a money factor reduction of 0.00050 for pre-paid 12 month leases, .00075 for 24 to 27 months, .00090 for 30 months, and .00100 for 36 to 39 months.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi pddy. Audi's lease program is national, so its money factors should not vary by region. It sounds like the dealer may have marked up your vehicle's buy rate to add additional hidden, back-end profit to your deal. Even if this was the case, unfortunately, there isn't anything that can be done about this now that you've signed the lease and physically taken delivery of your vehicle. Don't let a little thing like this ruin the joy that a new vehicle brings. Chalk this up as a learning experience and enjoy your sweet new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
    Hi lacargirl. You definitely should be able to negotiate a dealer discount on the Q5 that you are interested in, regardless of whether you are a loyal customer or not. On top of any dealer discount that you are able to get Audi is providing a $750 loyalty cash incentive on leases of this car.

Let's work up a payment on this truck for you and see what we come up with. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2012 Audi Q5 3.2 that has an MSRP of $46,875 and a selling price of 45,125 ($1,000 dealer discount - $750 loyalty cash) through Audi Financial Services right now for 36-months with 10,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $657.

A $2,000 dealer discount would drop this car's payment to around $627.

If you provide me with an exact selling price I'd be happy to use that in my calculations.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi murphy24. What is this truck's full MSRP? That number will give me a frame of reference to see how much of a discount you are being given and will enable me to use Audi's lease program to work up a sample payment for you.

One can't really calculate a vehicle's money factor. That is a number that is published by the bank that you are leasing through. It is important to know what your vehicle's money factor is and what the dealer is charging you though because dealers are often allowed to mark-up vehicles' money factors to add additional, hidden back-end profit to deals.

Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor for a 39 month lease of a 2012 Q5 3.2 Premium Plus is .00188 for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi dave1129. The Q5's lease program varies by trim level, term, and mileage allowance. Please be as specific as possible about the information that you're looking for. For now, here's a representative sample of what this truck's current program is like.

Audi Financial Services' November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Q5 2.0T Premium Plus with 15,000 miles per year are .00157 and 52%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
  • bbmasbbmas Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I've been quoted the following by 2 different dealers for Q5s, 2.0 PP w/nav.
    1) 44,250 msrp - 6% discount 41,650 net price. 10k miles, 36 mo prepaid lease. $24,196, 56% residual. Includes all taxes and fees. This dealer would have to order the car...2 month delivery.

2) 45,570 msrp (slightly different eqpt). No discount on the price offered yet. 10k miles, 36 mos, $25,918. (didn't get residual quote yet). This car is on the lot.
    I should expect a greater difference in the prepayment amount for the 1st dealer based on $4k difference in msrp correct? How does the money factor math work for a prepay? Since this dealer has the car on the lot, wouldn't you expect a better price since they have inventory $ tied up?

Finally, I noticed in another post you said that it is not advisable to put $ down on a leased car due to risk of car being totalled or stolen...does that apply to a prepay? If I prepay and my car is stolen or totalled, doesn't the leasing company have to either refund my $ or give me a replacement car?
    Thank you in advance!!
  • dave1129dave1129 Member Posts: 11
    Car_man:

The car I'm leasing is the Q5 2.0T Premium Plus, Nav, Smart Key, Tow Hitch, floor mats and exhaust tips. MSRP is $45980. I also want to include the $800 for Audi Care. Discount from the dealer is $1100. Tax in my state is 3.125%. Based on the numbers MF and residual you provided, I come up with a lease payment about $50 a month lower than than dealer. Dealer also shows a $695 aquisition fee that the say comes from Audi in addition to their $199 doc fees. Please advise. Many thanks.
    Hi dave1129 According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2012 Q5 2.0T Premium Plus that has an MSRP of $45,980 and a selling price of 45,680 (including Audi Care) through Audi Financial Services for 36-months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $678.

AFS does indeed charge a $695 acquisition fee on every vehicle that it leases.

Car_man
    Host
  • val785val785 Member Posts: 2
    1) Trying to get a sense if this scenario is a good deal:
    42 mth lease. 10k/yr. 2000 down. 550/mth tax included for a 2012 Q5 2.0T Quattro with Premium Pkg(not premium plus). I would be turning in my current lease - I'm upside down about 2500.00. Should I shoot for a 36 mth lease instead?

2) What are some key points that I should be focusing on in the negotiation? If I'm Tier 1 credit, what's the money factor? Can that be negotiated? Is the residual value negotiable? Finally, on a lease, should I get the price set before talking monthly payments and down payment? I'm in SoCal

Thanks. Sorry, these seem like pretty rookie questions. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  • val785val785 Member Posts: 2
    My question pertained to a particular deal on a Q5 and wanted some info and thoughts on the deal itself.

Here are the numbers presented to me by the dealer for 2012 Q5 2.0 with Premium package plus heated seats, panorama moonroof:

3K down
    10K/yr mileage
    48mths
    599.00/mth tax included

Car invoice is 39980
    I have a trade-in: I am upside down about 1900.00

The dealer is going to get me the money factor and residual value.

Questions I have:
    1) What is AFS november MF and residual on this car with those terms above?

2) Is this deal solid or am I getting hosed? If there is a place or point to negotiate, would it be the mthly rate? Money down? Final sale price? Length of the lease? Or all of it?

I will also post this to the Forum in case it is easier to respond there.
    Thanks Car Man.
  • bg10274bg10274 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    Hi -

I'm in Dallas and have a 2012 Q5 2.0 Prestige with nav for sticker price of $46,450 plus $875 destination chg on order (gave $1K deposit). I currently drive a 2009 328i sport that's leased and have determined it's better to turn back at least end in december rather than trade it (i'm upside down). The car will be here in the next couple of weeks but I'll be on vacation, so the sales guy asked if I could come in this week to take care of the financial stuff and then pick up the car when I get back the second week in december.

Can you give me any information on what I could be looking at payment-wise? Will be doing a 36 mo lease with 10K miles/yr. and looking to give as little down as possible. Should I be worried that there will be better incentives when I take delivery of the vehicle that I could miss out on?

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  • nilesdnilesd Member Posts: 4
    Am I getting a line of BS here???

Dealer quoted me 57% residual and .00159 MF last month for a Q5 PP. I called in to see if the latest advertised deal makes it more enticing. Salesman quoted me 55% residual and .00283 MF. He told me they buy the leasing for the former rate and sell it to me for the latter. Really?

Am I getting a raw deal here? Is this the dealer trying to goose the rate. Salesman told me the financing was the least of my worries because the vehicle is difficult to acquire regardless. Seems like he is already setting the stage for a difficult sale. What do folks think of this?
    edited November 2011
    Thank you for the reply. I appreciate your time and contributions to this board!

When calculating this out, do I still calculate the monthly base rental + monthly finance charge and monthly tax OR do I drop the monthly finance charge since there isn't any money financed since it is prepaid upfront and add in the tax all upfront?
  • mdxlesseemdxlessee Member Posts: 10
    He is of course trying to "goose the rate" as you say. Lot of dealers try to do this, but in this case, his spread is absolutely atrocious: it will make the lease very unattractive. I have leased several times (never from Audi) but never agreed to pay the spread over the company rate. You have to negotiate it down preferably to zero. I think it will also create dead-weight costs for you in the event of early termination. The loan implicit in the lease is being provided by Audi Financial not by the dealer, and a spread of this nature, is totally unjustified and untransparent. You can agree on a fixed fee like $500 or something.
    Ok, just a brief rant...
    WTF is up with vehicle sales people? I understand folks need to make a buck - that's fine and dandy and I fully support the concept - but are they so desperate to make a buck that instead of compromising a little profit to make a sale, they try to extract as much $$ as possible and risk losing the deal. As mdxlessee points out, the spread Audi is trying to make is atrocious. They just tack on another 78% (yes, seventy freaking 8 percent) to the finance rate and say to themselves, "Yeah, that seems about fair." Are they out of their f'ing minds? Do I seem mathematically challenged? Does asking for the MF and Residual make me sound stupid?

It's not just Audi. I tried to buy a Hyundai a couple months back and contacted them via Costco for their *special* price. After 3 conversations via email where he denied that they have a Costco price sheet I showed him Costco's documentation on their website. Then he claimed he didn't know I was a "Costco customer." Really? Did you forget? Buddy, if you scroll down and read the email YOU started the conversation with "Welcome Costco Customer." All I asked for is the price Costco said you are required to give me. Anyways... arggg!

Why is it so hard to spend 20, 30, 40 thousand dollars these day. Isn't there something about a bad economy I'm hearing about...something about people not spending. Will somebody PLEASE just take this money off my hands in a fair and equitable transaction.

WTF?
  • index2020index2020 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I'm new to leasing cars and am looking to lease our first car in December 2011.

We live in the NYC metro area (plenty of dealers to choose from!) and have zeroed in on a 2012 Model Year Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus, which will likely have an MSRP of approx. $42,000 based on the options we'd like.

Two questions -

1. We are looking for a 36 month 10,000 or 12,000 mile lease. What would be a good discount, money factor, and residual value to be quoted for a December 2011 purchase (of dealer inventory, not ordered car)? FICO in high 700s. What are the additional taxes and dues beyond what the dealer will quote? I take it that we will have to pay NY sales taxes on monthly lease payments? I'm tring to get a full picture of one time / month cash outflows.

2. My employer qualifies for the Audi Supplier Discount Program of 6% on MSRP (ex. destination charge). Does anyone know if I'd be able to negotiate additional discounts with the dealer (from the dealer's margin)? I assume that the 6% Supplier Discount is reimbursed by the manufacturer to the dealer so I should be able to negotiate further discounts. Is that right?

Regards,
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    I experience this most every time I go to purchase a vehicle. And between my wife and I it's easily every 2-3 years.

I chalk this up to customers being better educated. The practice probably hasn't changed much since cars have been sold. Selling cars from what what I see in wanted ads doesn't require a college degree or experience of any kind and thus these are the results.

Find the car you want and search dealers in a specific radius, say 50 miles or so (I've gone out further), you'll find a good dealer with good people that will respect your time and theirs.
  • arundarund Member Posts: 9
    Carman, I'd really appreciate if you could evaluate what a local dealer quoted me:

Q5 2.0 with premium plus and nav, 36 month lease, 10k miles, MSRP of 44,590, negotiated price of 43,276 (invoice was $42,276.66). + Audi care, nothing down, but the acquisition fee is put on the loan, MF of .00157, residual 56%, the monthly payment is $717, which includes tax (which is 8.75 in my state). Is that a good deal? Thanks!
  • smyersmyer Member Posts: 1
    What is the November 2011 Audi MF and residual for a 2012 Q5 2.0 premium plus with navigation and 19" wheels - 12k miles/year for 36 months? Thanks in advance.
    Hi arund. The money factor that you were quoted is right on line with AFS' buy rate for it. That is obviously a good sign. A selling price of $100 over invoice is very attractive as well. While a payment of $717 isn't a great payment for a lease on an SUV, this is a good deal on this particular vehicle.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for, smyer. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Q5 2.0 Premium Plus with 12,000 miles per year are .00157 and 54%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
  • carbuyer48carbuyer48 Member Posts: 3
    I am getting Audi Q5 PP + NAV for $43775. The dealer is quoting me $1500 discount. Is this a good discount. What will be my lease price? I live in Illinois.
    Thanks Car_man! The selling price was actually $1000 over invoice (and about $1000 below MSRP), not $100. Do you still consider it a good deal? And, are you saying that, in general, SUVs are not worth such a high monthly payment, but with specific regard to the Audi Q5, it is worth it? Thanks!
  • audisalesman1audisalesman1 Member Posts: 4
    $1,000 over invoice is a good deal. Not the best out there but damn good considering the limited supply. I dont believe the $717 makes sense tho. How much are you giving them due at signing? To be more clear what is the amount of cash/check you will give them when you pick up the car, which includes first month payment (which audi is paying for in december)?
    $1150 up front, which includes the first payment and registration. So basically nothing down (which is a no brainer on leases right?). I believe Audi is only paying for the first month on A4s, A6s and A8s. $717 includes tax (which is 8.5% for me). Does $717 still sound off?
  • audisalesman1audisalesman1 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2011
    what tax rate (county you register car in) are you using? i will run it for you tomorrow afternoon
    Tax rate is 8.75. You also have to add the Audi care and the acquisition fee ($700) to the purchase price to get the right monthly. I decided to capitalize both fees and take advantage of the 3.79% interest rate.
    Were you able to run it yet? Thanks.
  • carlesseecarlessee Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the all the information you've provided in this forum. I'm totally new at this, so any help will be most appreciated.

I'm trying to lease a Q5 2.0 Premium Plus for a 36 months, 10k miles/yr. In November a dealer said the lowest Money Factor was 0.0019 and residual was 55%. In December he quoted me 0.00282. When I asked about the 0.0019, he said it is still available for applicants with the best credit. In a post on Dec 4, you mentioned that the MF was 0.00157 for the same model but for 12k miles/year. Does the MF increase with lower mileage/year or is the dealer not offering the true lowest MF? Is this value published anywhere, and is it expected to change in January?

Thanks in advance.
  • coltrane1coltrane1 Member Posts: 10
    DO any of you have experience with a company called Legend Leasing-
    http://www.legendleasing.com

I looked at them on-line based on a friend's recommendation and the deals seem incredible.
    For ex, they advertise an Audi A4 Quattro 2.0 Premium+ Nav for $409/mon for 36 months 0 down.

Any opinions?

thx
    Hi carlessee. The money factor that I mentioned is correct and is available through January 5th. As you mentioned, it is only available for consumers who qualify for Audi Financial Services' top credit tier. The mileage allowance does not have any impact upon the money factor. If the dealer quoted you a higher factor than this and your credit is in good shape, they are likely trying to mark your car's factor up to add additional, hidden back-end profit to your deal.

Audi is scheduled to introduce a new lease program later this week. Please feel free to check back with me for an update.

Car_man
    Host
  • carlesseecarlessee Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car_man,

Thanks for the confirmation on the money rate. Hope you had a good New Years.

A manager at a dealership first quoted me in Nov 2011 a Q5 at "invoice + advertising (about $800)", so I ordered the car. I had the understanding that that was the price regardless if it's a sale or lease. Now he says that was not the selling price, but only the leasing price with the money rate bumped up from 0.00157 to 0.00282 so he can make more money. I was never aware of this, so I felt misled. Is this a common practice?

He also said he needed the money more than I did, but 5 minutes later added proudly that they were making a lot of money off these cars. The car will be arriving very shortly, but I don't feel comfortable signing the lease, due to changing terms. When asked then how much he would sell the car for, he said $500 below sticker, but who knows that may change any time too.

Do you think the latest terms are reasonable? I somehow lost faith. I'm currently considering a (gasp!) Toyota Venza or Ford Edge.

Thanks for any comments you are kind enough to offer.
  • sakura88sakura88 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Hi,

This is my first time leasing a vehicle but I am not sure if I am getting a great deal. I live in Chicago. So, the taxes are pretty crazy. I am in the process of leasing a Audi Q5 2.0 premium plus package with an navigation system. There were a lot of throw on in this vehicle all-weather floor mats, bang & olufsen sound system, and 19" wheels with seasonal tires. So, the MSRP came to $45,955. I was not able to get the MSRP down because of the high demand. There is a two month waiting period. The one that is available and shipping in this week have all these features. I have a great credit score. So, I qualified for Tier A rate. Initially, they gave me interest rate of 0.00246 (5.9 %) and I was able to get it down to 0.00225 (5.4%). Then, they were talking about a balloon auto financing with 42 month term and 49% residual. He was willing to contract me at 12,000 miles but I can drive up 15,000 miles. Furthermore, If I am able to put down $2,500 for downpayment, I can get a monthly payment to $776. The interest rate of 5.4 percent still seem to be high. I don't want to feel that I'm getting ripped off. Any advices will be greatly appreciated. Thank you soo much for all your help.
  • hakinethakinet Member Posts: 2
    Hi Index2020,

Did you end up making a purchase? I also get the Supplier Discount through my employer and was wondering if you were able to negotiate any lower than 6% off MSRP? I'm guessing the dealer just gets reimbursed up invoice.

Would love to know how it went for you and if you learned anything else in the process.

Thx!
    -BD
    Hi carlessee. That is a good selling price, but as you suspected a terrible money factor. I personally would never lease a vehicle with that much of a mark-up, out of principle alone. I wouldn't deal with this dealer any more if I was in your situation.

The Q5 is pretty expensive anyhow. While it's a nice vehicle, there's a lot better deals out there in the SUV world.

Car_man
    Host
    This sounds like a very expensive deal to me. I like the Q5, but eight hundred bucks per month is just way too much money to pay for one, IMHO.

If I was offered this deal, I personally would shop around with a different dealer or more likely go with a different vehicle.

Car_man
    Host
  • asteinbergasteinberg Member Posts: 138
    CarMan -- What better deals would you recommend in the SUV world over the Q5? Please be specific. We did a new Lexus hybrid and had to return the car. Mercedes 350 and BMW X5 both seem good but pricy. Volvo XC-60 doesnt' seem to lease well. Love to hear your input.
    Thanks.
  • hakinethakinet Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car_man,

You mentioned earlier that Audi was set to release a new lease program this week. Any details?

I'm specifically looking for the MF and residual on a 2012 Q5 Premium Plus lease.

Also - I qualify for the Audi Supplier Discount of 6% off of MSRP. Do you know if that's just 6% off of the base, or if that would include any features (nav, etc) in the MSRP price as well? Does Audi reimburse the dealer for the difference? Just curious if it's worth doing or if it's better to negotiate my own deal. Details are a little difficult to come by.

Thanks!
  • radoncgsradoncgs Member Posts: 60
    I am intereted in the new lease information too. Thanks.
  • oldfatslowoldfatslow Member Posts: 2
    I am about to purchase an 2012 Audi Q5.

On a three year lease the money factory quoted to me was .00205 and residual of .53.

Assuming I should qualify for Audi's top credit tier the money factor seems way out of bounds with market (car loans are available at 2.5-3%).

What is the actual money factor currently for an 2012 Audi Q5 for a well qualified buyer via Audi Financial Services?
  • tsoltsol Member Posts: 40
    An interesting aside to those looking at the relatively "poor" lease deals from Audi. We have owned seven Audis and leased several, the last being a loaded 2010 Q5 Prestige. We paid around $710 a month with zero down with cost about $400 over invoice. In our state sales tax is collected up front becoming part of the cap cost of the vehicle so no add'l sales taxes included in that payment.

What I find interesting is the last two leases have traded with very positive cash going toward the down payment on a new car. We just purchased a new 2012 Q5 that we ordered three months ago and paid $500 over invoice which included Audicare, taking advantage of the 1.9% financing from AFS. The 2010 Q5 had over $6k "equity" that I used toward the purchase of the new Q5. This effectively lowered our 29 month lease payment (we traded 7 months early!) to about $500/mo. The point being, the trade/resale value on a nice, clean, 12k miles/yr. Q5 is very high right now. A similar situation occurred when we traded a leased allroad back in 2006. No guarantees of course and to some this will seem like to much of a gamble, but has worked for us so far. Something to consider though I'd recommend buying an Audi over leasing in general.
    Hi asteinberg. This month it's tough because the awesome dealers aren't out there like they were in December. The BMW X3 and potentially even the X5 were better deals than the Q5 last month. They're still pretty close. The Acura MDX and RDX are likely cheaper as well. So is the Cadillac SRX and probably the Lexus RX 350, Lincoln MKX, & Mercedes-Benz GLK350.

The 2011 ML was a better deal, but certainly not the redesigned 2012 model. It's really expensive right now.

There's a ton of really nicely appointed SUVs out there that just don't have the "luxury" nameplates as well.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go hakinet. Audi Financial Services' January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Q5 2.0T Premium Plus with 15,000 miles per year are .00155 and 51%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

I suspect that the pricing for the Audi Supplier Purchase Program is 6% of of the vehicle's MSRP, including the destination charge and any factory-installed options, but I haven't looked into the program specifically.

Car_man
    Host
    HA, I love the username, oldfatslow. You're right, the money factor that you were quoted is way too high. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate for a 2012 Q5 2.0T is .00155 for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
  • oldfatslowoldfatslow Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    The way the supplier program was explained to me (and on the FAQ on the website) you simply take MRSP minus destination and mulitply by 6%. You then subtract that amount from the MSRP and you are good to go.
This discussion has been closed.