Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Corolla vs smoother quieter options

frostbyte3964frostbyte3964 Member Posts: 30
edited April 2014 in Toyota
OK, I had a 2009 Corolla for a while and liked the improvements they changed from older models. I've had 2008, 1999, 1997, 1995 models so I'm a big fan of their economy, reliability, great gas mileage.

Now I'm thinking of "graduating" and getting something else as I don't have anything right now and will be moving back to the US in December. I have plenty of time to research things.

Here are my wants: It has to be at least as quiet and smooth. I'd like better, but at least that. I'm generally a very conservative driver, but the thrill of other peoples cars always looks fun, however; I didn't even push my Corolla ti it's limits so I'm not sure if "sportier" is of any real concern. Bigger engine is not a requirement. Might be fun to know it's there, but I don't know if I want to sacrifice the great MPG that the Corolla gives me. I was getting 40+ with it.

So what is quieter and smoother? I can spend more, but it has to be worth it.

The one car I've always wanted, but never could justify was the Subaru WRX and the new one looks and sounds amazing for the money, however; I don't have any clue how it compares in the smooth and quiet. I read some reviews that complained about the noise, but in comparison to what? Other high end cars? As far as smooth, I'd think it would be worse making it all sporty, but I could be wrong there too.

So what are your thoughts and suggestions? Please don't suggest a Civic or a Mazda3 as they are not quieter or smoother.

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Your gonna look long and hard for a car in the same price range as the Corolla that is "smoother and quieter".
  • frostbyte3964frostbyte3964 Member Posts: 30
    It can be more expensive if need be. I can look up to $30k, but it would have to be super special for that. That would be 2 Corollas. ^_^
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The Camry V6 should be smoother and quieter than a Corolla. Another option is to get a used Lexus LS--that would probably be the epitome of smooth and quiet.

Buicks e.g. Lucerne are known for their smoothness and quietness also. But you probably want to stay with Toyota, I'd guess.
    Any company is fine. Just researching all options. If it's not sporty and equally smooth and quiet, I'd like to keep SOME gas mileage. The Camry/Accord are both possible options as possibly the bigger tanks like Buick and such, but those usually loose lots of MPG to get the big engine. Why can't they just make a car like that, but with a little Corolla engine. That is what I'd really like. A Camry with a 1.8 L engine. ^_^
    IMO the Corolla is smoother/quieter than the Accord.

I don't think you'd like the acceleration of a Buick land yacht with a 1.8L engine. :sick:

A great combination of smoothness/quietness plus fuel economy is the Camry hybrid. And you could get one for under $30k. I've heard good things about the new Fusion/Milan hybrid also, but it's not quite available yet.
    I think I can get a Camry Hybrid for around $25k, maybe even $24k. When I get back and can test drive, I'll give it a drive.

How does the Prius ride in comparison? I've heard it's suppose to be in between a Corolla and a Camry in size, but not sure about noise and ride. More to test drive. From what I've heard about the new Insight, I'd rather have the Prius. I like the synergy drive technology, plus it's better in city driving with all it's technology. I'm just not sure the hybrid aspect will be good for a 200k mile mentality to a purchase.
    The current Prius is not as smooth IMO as the Corolla, but pretty quiet especially in electric-only mode. Pretty roomy in back for two adults--moreso than the Corolla. Plus the hatch. New Prius is supposed to be more powerful, smoother, more roomy. More expensive, too. But Camry hybrid is roomier, quieter, smoother than Prius. There's the new little Lexus hybrid with the Camry hybrid powertrain, looked very nice at the local auto show last weekend. Might blow your $30k budget though.
    Thanks. I'll probably stick with the Camry in that comparison. It still gets prety good mileage.

I was just looking up other choices and came across the 2010 Buick Lacrosse. Great looking car and it might be $25k for a base model that will likely still be pretty loaded in comparison to a Camry. Looks like more of a TL class of car! Not sure what the mileage is, but probably little less than the Camry, but it has some great sounding sound deadening things done to it and they are always very smooth. It should be available to test drive by the time I get back! Another for my list for sure if it keeps that price point. Even better if I can find a used one that's almost new.
  • deaconbluzdeaconbluz Member Posts: 3
    you could also just get the base Camry with the four cylinder. The 2010 Fusion with the four cylinder is rated 23/34 and is supposed to be pretty quiet. Also the Malibu hybrid 26/34 or the Malibu with the 4 cylinder 6 speed transmission is rated at 22/33.
    Coming out this fall is the 2010 golf which is supposed to have made great strides in reducing noise. We should get the clean diesel option which would be 30/44 or better.
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Now if only Volkswagon get get their reliability rating from the bottom of the pile to go with the good gas mileage rating they might be worthwhile considering.
    It has done that, on the Golf (Rabbit) and Jetta at least.
This discussion has been closed.