Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Major brake trouble....help!

tarak1tarak1 Member Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Mercury
I have 2 problems....

One, since I bought my vehicle (used) there has been trouble with my front passenger brake. It clunks when I accelerate after sitting at a stop light or sign, no matter how long my foot was pressed down on the brake pedal. Not only can I hear it but I can feel it in my pedal on my foot through my shoe. I have, since buying the car, had a bit of work done, including 1 hub being replaced, front and back suspension and have had my rotors resurfaced and my pads are fine (can you say, I got ripped off????)

Anyway, I thought maybe after all of these repairs the clunking would be sure to go away and it hasn't. The worst part is some of the time the brake sticks and it grinds as it tries to let go when I'm trying to drive away from said light or sign and it smells like it's burning. Anyone have this trouble and what is the problem? I'm hoping it's not my axel or tire rod, eek!

Two, in the last week my brake light on my dash has stayed on after I start my car. Now I know every dash light comes on when the vehicle is initially started but they all go off.....my brake light stays on until I pull the brake release, it then makes a popping noise like air and goes off after 2 pulls. I will tell ya that recently when I had work done on my car after I left the shop my ABS light has been on constantly. They said it should go off, it hasn't. They checked it and said it is a censor and that my ABS nor my brakes are in jeopardy over the light being on but maybe it is?

The noise I described above (clunking) was occurring before the ABS light mishap. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you!

Comments

• tarak1tarak1 Member Posts: 4
    :cry:
  • robertsmeetsrobertsmeets Member Posts: 4
    It sounds like a thorough check of your brakes are in order, I am not sure who worked on your brakes but it should not clunk nor should there be a burning smell. Did you have the slides checked?
  • chris1221chris1221 Member Posts: 6
    sounds like your caliber sticking that would cause the burning smell and clunking take caliber off and grease the hell out of it between the caliber and pad is the cylinder part grease that if that dont work buy a new one
    Thanks guys for your help/suggestions. I do believe it is my caliber. A friend of mine looked at it a year or so ago but said they looked fine. They may have LOOKED fine but if it is sticking he wouldn't have been able to see that ya know? I'm gonna have it looked at/fixed as soon as I get the money. It shouldn't be very dangerous.....right?

Robert, I don't believe it is my brakes now. And not to sound like a complete girl but what are slides? Thanks again guys! ;)
    Thanks guys for your help/suggestions. I do believe it is my caliber. A friend of mine looked at it a year or so ago but said they looked fine. They may have LOOKED fine but if it is sticking he wouldn't have been able to see that ya know? I'm gonna have it looked at/fixed as soon as I get the money. It shouldn't be very dangerous.....right?

Robert, I don't believe it is my brakes now. And not to sound like a complete girl but what are slides? Thanks again guys! ;)
This discussion has been closed.