Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 VW Golf

1235»

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I am hoping the GTI seats become an option in the TDI Golf and Jetta Sportswagen.
  • jbaustianjbaustian Member Posts: 78
    A few points, Chen. First, this is an after-market product which will fit in the dash of a VW Golf... but you would probably have to remove something else, like maybe the AM-FM-CD player.

Second, the screen size is pretty small for DVD playback, so I don't think this is a very useful feature.

Third, if you buy a Garmin or some other GPS navigation system, you can upgrade easily without tearing into your dashboard again. The product you've linked to could, conceivably, reduce the resale value of your car if it cannot be easily updated with new street and road information. And of course depending on how professionally it is mounted and what has to be removed to make room for it.
  • joeauto2010joeauto2010 Member Posts: 11
    edited August 2010
    I'm looking to lease a VW Golf 2 Door HB Automatic for 36 months/36k miles. MSPR $19,086.

Can anyone provide me with the money factor and residual for this car?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The place you want to ask this is the Volkswagen Golf Lease Questions discussion. We have some real experts on leasing that will be able to assist you
  • lynn59lynn59 Member Posts: 3
    I initially wanted the 2010 golf 2.5 and think I could be happy with it but it does not come with a 6 cd changer or navigation options. I spend a lot of time in my car so music is important to me. (I do not want the tdi because I don't want diesel). I am also considering the gti. I love the power behind the turbo but I am a little concerned about the price/value, the maintanence and reliability. Any thoughts or suggestions from anyone??
  • feliciatwofeliciatwo Member Posts: 68
    Given that HPFP failures are common in the VA's Andalusia BMW's how can one run them "forever" . VW always claims. Contaminated fuel with these fuel system failures so warranty doesn't cover. Owner out 6,000-8,000
    Dollars own $$$.
    The failures are wide spread.
  • orbit9090orbit9090 Member Posts: 116
    I really like the interior of the 2010 Golf, especially in the TDI.

It is somewhat upscale without being pretentious.
    The 2011 Golf is just as good. On the other hand, the new 2011 Jettas have been "decontented" -- the MSRP has been cut by cheapening the suspension and the brake system. The Jetta now returns to the torsion beam rear suspension, same as it had until 2005, and the base models now have rear drum brakes.

So if a fully independent suspension is important to you, and four-wheel disk brakes, then go with one of the Golf models.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    To me the most ridiculous aspect of the 2011 Jetta is bringing back the 2.0, 8 valve 115 HP engine in order to advertise a lower price for the base model. What a joke, my kid has essentially that same engine in his 1996 Jetta.

Even if the other aspects turned out to be okay with me, there would still be no acceptable Jetta for me, were I in the market. I am not about to buy the 2.slow in a (I assume) ~3000 pound car. But going to the higher trim levels would mean having vinyl foisted on me, I don't happen to like vinyl/"leatherette" (or leather).

Oh, the Jetta sportwagen might be an option, as that is unchanged from the 2010 model, I think.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    edited August 2010
    You are mistaken about the 1996... it goes back a LOT further than that. That 2.0L 8-valve can be traced back to the ORIGINAL watercooled VW rabbitt in 1974. (Same engine-block with larger displacement)

I have a different view.... That old engine-design is PROVEN over many millions of miles. Why do you think of it as a *bad* thing?

VW has always offerd several engine options... if you do not like the 2.0L ... chose something else.
    No mistake, I did not say the 1996 was the oldest use. Just that I happen to be aware of it's use in the '96. When my kid first told me they were bringing back the 2.0, I thought certain he was mistaken and they were going to be offering a new updated 2.0, perhaps incorporating new fangled ideas 16 valves (to improve HP).

It is a non-competitive piece of ancient technology. In the automatic (which is what most americans will buy) the combined mpg rating is actually lower than the 2.5. VW wants to pretend they can compete on price with other manufacturers, but it seems that the only way they can do so is to offer an engine that really is not competitive.

The 2011 Jetta, under $16,000 (excluding destination and engine). :P
    I don't know whether many people will buy the 2011 Jetta with the ancient 2.0-liter 8-valve normally-aspirated engine. But it would be the cheapest way to buy a decent-sized German-engineered car. Also, if someone buys it with the automatic transmission, at least it is not the unreliable 4-speed automatic sold up through 2003,

I believe they have actually lightened the Jetta by several hundred pounds, while at the same time adding 2-3 inches to rear-seat legroom.

Again, if you liked all the features in the 2010 Golf, then the 2011 Golf still has them even if the 2011 Jetta does not.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    A VW with an automatic xmission is a sin..... A manual xmission gets better MPG, lasts the life of the vehicle and rarely fails.

Besides, the VW 2.0 is available with 16V head.... perhaps not in North America?

One reason I have not purchesed many American-branded vehicles is because manual xmission is not available. One exception was order from the factory a Dodge Dakota with manual xmission. It was the cheapest way to own a semi-hemi V8 with a manual xmission.
    The weight is 2804 pounds with manual and 2.slow, with auto it goes to 2881 pounds, with the 2.5 it's 3018 and 3082 pounds.

http://media.vw.com/wp-content/presskits/jetta_2011/spec_sheet.pdf

By next spring the new Ford Focus may be an option for those looking for a decent sized european designed sedan or HB, likely with better pricing than VW, when comparably equipped.

The Ford will also have a 2.0L base engine...only it'll be direct-injected and is supposed to make about 155 horsepower and 145 pound-feet of torque. A DSG style trans. is supposed to be the only automatic.
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    Sounds like a plan to me. :shades:
  • cobrawizcobrawiz Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a new car. I have been considering a Jetta or Sportwagen TDI, but the various posts about the HPFP problem make me pause and create questions. What does VW say that the fule is contaminated with? Has anyone seen copies of the lab tests? If incorrect diesel fuel were used, wouldn't the lab test say something like "wrong fuel" instead of "contaminated" fuel? How widespread is this problem? Has Volkswagen ever accepted a claim for this under warranty?

I broached this problem to a selesperson. Here is how he responded. He claims that the (very few) problems result from do-it-yourselfers putting the wrong fuel into the engine, such as high sulfur diesel or even home heating oil, or even Heating Oil No. 2.

What material is one of these HPFPs made of? I frankly question up front how "contaminated fuel" can make a fuel pump presemably made from solid material dissolve or disintegrate in the first place.

Does this kind of pump appear in a gas engine? Are there websites specifically devoted to this problem? Has the NHTSA become involved?
  • djmarzipandjmarzipan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 TDI and am scared after reading countless posts on forums about the HPFP that can disintegrate, sending shards of rusted metal into the fuel system, resulting in a 10 or $11,000 repair bill. Half of these issues reported seemed to be covered under warranty and the other claims were denied due to "contaminated" fuel. It depends, frankly on what kind of mood the dealership is in that day. In most cases no one contaminated with gasoline, yet VW claimed that the quality of the fuel (lubricity) was poor and the owners were held responsible. Frankly, I'm surprised the media hasn't gotten a bigger hold of this because an $11,000 repair on a $26,000 car is absolutely ridiculous. If you want my opinion, I think the lubricity of diesel in the US is poor, but VW and Bosch went along manufacturing and building as if the quality is as good as it is in the UK, full knowing that the HPFP can't handle lower lubricity fuel. This is a combination of a serious design flaw and gross negligence in my estimation. If I were you I would contact VW customer service via e-mail or phone at 800-822-8987 and tell them you were seriously contemplating purchasing a new TDI until you heard about the HPFP concerns. More people doing this might make them aware. Check out this http://www.tdi-issues.com/hpfp-cases-tac68/ amongst other forums for more info.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of the Golf TDI who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, November 20, 2010 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.