Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

G8 Problems

2»

Comments

• Options
    beibenbeiben Member Posts: 2
    i had the same problem, they installed a smaller pulley.
  • Options
    beibenbeiben Member Posts: 2
    it is the strut bearings i just had them replaced
  • Options
    wigtwigt Member Posts: 6
    I had to clicking sound when turing the wheel too at cold temperatures. Like beiben they replaced the upper strut bearings and both castor arms. It has been cold since and that seemed to solve the problem. My dealer has been great with any problems that I have had. They even did one of the recalls Pontiac had when it was in for an oil change. Love the car.
  • Options
    jim287jim287 Member Posts: 13
    They replaced the same parts on mine and it too is working fine. The only problem I am having is with excessive wind noise from the drivers side window. They told me it was normal, I will be taking it to another dealer. Thanks for replying.
  • Options
    lara6lara6 Member Posts: 1
    Since we've owned it the mileage range gauge on our 2009 Pontiac G8 continually gives false readings, changing multiple times and ending up with a GAIN in mileage most of the time. The dealer can not fix it, & said GM engineers were working on the problem & hopefully would find a solution to the problem in a 'couple of months,' which was about 8 months ago. GM customer service reps keep saying the gauge is 'working according to its design.' What is the purpose of this crummy design--to irritate & mislead the driver with inaccurate readings of mileage used? 'Working according to its design,' is a phrase to hide behind when there is a design problem that is unfix-able by GM!
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2010
    “false readings”

You do not specify exactly what you mean by ‘false’.

My experience [ 2009 G8 GT ] has been that:
    First – the range is rather conservative – to reduce the likelihood of the driver running out of gas, I presume
    Second – the ‘recent’ in the manual excerpt below actually means that it is biased rather heavily to reflect the VERY recent MPG. By this I mean that it appears to look at [ perhaps ] the most recent 25 miles of driving – but disproportionately reflects the MPG in recent 5 or 10 miles [ or 5 \ 10 minutes ] of driving.

This means that [ for example ] if you have been driving through city streets, with significant time idling at stop lights & accelerating \ slowing in the lower gears, resulting in dismal MPG – the range will reflect an expectation that you will continue to drive in that manner – until you fill the tank.

But if you then start driving on a highway at a steady 60 MPH, the range calculation will begin to take that [ higher, recent ] MPG driving into account – and though you have used more fuel, the ‘range’ display will actually rise. Sometimes rather dramatically.

This has happened to me on many occasions – as my commute home from work is precisely this scenario.

And between my house & where I typically do fill my tank, if I drive directly there as soon as I start my car in the morning – on my way to work, the range display will drop significantly in that 2 miles. Reflecting the relatively poor MPG achieved while the engine is receiving a rich fuel mixture – because it is cold.

YMMV.
    - Ray

From the manual:
    The fuel range estimate is based on an
    average of the vehicle’s fuel
    economy over recent driving history
    and the amount of fuel remaining
    in the fuel tank.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    I just noticed that you posted on the page I linked to above.
    I presume that means you read all the previous posts -
    including mine...

Please state your expectations of a range display?
    And how you would expect he calculation to work?
    - Ray
    Really curious....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    whoosierdaddywhoosierdaddy Member Posts: 76
    rayainsw #57 reflects my experience. I just ignore that readout. It's like instantaneous MPG, means nothing in the long run.
  • Options
    xchipsxchips Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2009 Pontiac G8, I have had the vehicle in 4-times for the same issue. I keep getting a clucking noise from the front end, the vehicle was serviced 08/09 whereas both left front lower control arms were replaced. Two weeks later 08/09, again both left side lower control were replaced ( dealership cited excessive play ). 07/10 same complaint, dealership replaced all four control arms ( dealership again cited excessive play ). Now here it is two weeks later 08/10 and the vehicle is back in for the same issues.

I've seen the previous post for clunking/clicking/knocking on the front end and info on recall campaign 09203A. My question is -- is this something that can/should be fixed or it going to an on-going issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Xchips,
    Has the dealership fixed the concern yet? If not, have they contacted technical assistance to help them solve the concern? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • Options
    2008-2009 G8 – Knock noise from front suspension
    over small bumps

Use new P/N 92249538 to
    obtain all four lower control
    arms

Do not obtain all four control arms
    individually instead of using the new
    kit
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    lorenm1lorenm1 Member Posts: 2
    Go get an HP tuner. You can turn off the AFM with it. Several others may be able to do this as well. A tuner shop can also turn it off. While this "rumbling" people complain about does occur, the fact is other vehicles use this same engine and the same programming with no noticable affects. Why? something else in the design of the G8 is making it noticable, otherwise you would see similar issues and complaints from vehicles with this engine - check out the Holden sights in Australia - no such complaints.... Been trying to figure out what's different, but no luck so far.
  • Options
    lorenm1lorenm1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Mariah,
    I have found a similar issue, but not the same with my front suspension. The problem is, when you turn right it continues to pull right for an extended period of time. About a mile or 2 excelerating from 0 to 40 or 60mph. Same happens if you turn left - which it then pulls to the left for a while. I have had the dealer look at this, confirm the issue, but noone can figure out why. I have been told this was due to the Caster Alignment and the design for the G8. I have been told this is a design of the car. There is no other car I have driven before with these characterstics including - 2006 Corvette, 2000 Ford Mustand, 2011 Lotus or any others. They have called "GM Technical Support" and are still waiting for an answer.... Any ideas on who I go to next?
  • Options
    gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    lorenm1,

We can certainly appreciate how tedious it can be to wait for answers! If you would like for us to check into this further, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, a summary of your situation, and the last 8 digits of the vehicle's VIN).

Sarah, GM Customer Service