Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• bwjones1bwjones1 Member Posts: 10
    No, I did not finance. I took the $1000 cash to customer that Toyota offers. I do not know the details of the financing, I just know that there was 0% for 36 months going up to %3.9 for longer periods or they would give you $1000 cash back. Which, by the way I found out is taxed, so its not quite $1000 back. In Utah its more like $935.
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    How can this happen? Could be the dealer is ripping you off . Say you bot the car for 29k, you should pay tax on this 29k only. If you paid the dealer 30k and paid tax on this 30k, he should give you $1065, thats rebate plus refund for the tax you overpaid.
  • magchasemagchase Member Posts: 16
    You mentioned a price of $746 for the 7-year extended warranty. Was this for the Platinum ($0 deductible) 7 year 70,000 (or is it 75,000) miles?
    Thanks,
    cw
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    To qualify for the low rate financing, you need an Equifax car buying Beacon score of 660 or higher. There are exceptions to this such as having a prior repossession with Toyota and you need adequate income to cover the payments.
    Yes, I believe it was for the Platnum, but I am not positive. I was going to call on Monday and confirm/purchase that it is indeed the platnum. Also I believe it was the 75000 mile program.

BWJ
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Not a ripoff, it's the law. Most states make sure they get their slice of the pie, the dealer has no choice.
  • akgakg Member Posts: 85
    I just bought a 2001 4Runner after what seemed like an eternity of research and shopping, and I really couldn't have done it without Cliffy. Thanks so much. He should be a high level exec, for all his knowledge and the articulate way he pulls things together. Thanks again!!!!
    The only option that I didn't get on said 4Runner was alloy wheels. When I had my Tacoma I was able to find a guy who had taken off his alloys in favor of 16" different rims and sold his 15" alloys to me. Are there any Northern California 2001 4Runner owners that have a set of 15" stock alloys they want to sell?

Also, which of the internet Toyota/parts/wholesale Web-sites are the best?
    You might want to look on e-bay for a set of wheels. You don't need to limit your search to 4Runner owners either. If you want to stick with factory wheels, you can look at Tacoma wheels as well. If you want to move to 16", the Tundra will work also.

Thanks for the kind words.
    Which do you get better mileage and maneuverability with?
  • mikeg444mikeg444 Member Posts: 17
    I own a 97 4Runner SR5 4x4. I have Bridgestone Duelers H/T D689s on it now. They have been OK at best (not great in the wet, decent off-road, squirrely handling when hustled).

I wanted to get others' thoughts on replacement tires.
  • jkulp42757jkulp42757 Member Posts: 83
    I would go with the Michelin Cross Terrain SUV for great on road, decent off road performance.

Try the Yokahoma Geolander AT Plus II for good off road, good on road, but a little noisier than the Michelins.

Both are available in stock sizes. Visit TireRack.com for more choices, they have a good website
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    The Yokohama Super Digger V are very good all-around tires if you can find them.
    BFG All-Terrain KO's are also very good.
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    Which gives better mileage and manuverbilty? Well, the 265/70R16 has a bigger foot print and a lower profile than the 225/75R15 and I would think the 16" would handle better on the road. I have no idea which would be better off road. As far as mileage, they are both the same overall height and the 15" has a smaller foot print. In theory I would say the 15" would have better mileage, but would not make that much of a difference. Having alloy rims would help mileage a little, but the biggest effect should be the type of tire used. I would say the biggest difference between the two tires is handling. Just my .02.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    The 15" wheels would allow you just a little more rubber between the wheel and the tread of the tire. This allows more tire flex and cushion, which is good for off-road and slightly softer ride on-road.

The 16" wheels would allow slightly tighter handling on-road because it allows a lower profile tire to be used. These tires might easier to find for P-rated tires, which are just fine if your staying on the street most of the time. But you might want to go to a LT-rated tire if you going to venture off-road. the LT's have stronger sidewall construction & can take much more abuse. You can easily have a 15" wheel set-up handle great whith some better shocks on the truck.

If the truck came with 16" wheels, you might want to check to see if the 15" wheels are large enough to clear the brakes.

Mileage I assume would be about the same providing that both wheel sizes are mounted with the appropriate matched tire size to match the gearing in the truck. The over-all height size of the tires w/rims would be identical in this case.

I think either size would do just fine. 16" wheels are becoming much more common these days.

hope I did'nt make it confusing
  • hguyhguy Member Posts: 5
    Went to Toyota dealer(Toyota of Wallingford in CT) to test drive 4runner,left disgusted after 5 minutes. Sales guy almost refused to talk to us when he found out that we just comparing,and will be ready to buy in about 6 monts.The manager was even worse,started laughing when I dare to ask his name. Me my family and most of our friends are driving Hondas,but I always liked 4 Runners-not anymore.If they treat me like that before I even bought the truck what next?I think they got to big and to good and all because of us,the custumer.I hope Honda wont get that way... Good luck!
  • jasanjasan Member Posts: 12
    I own a 2001 runner, intermitantly while stepping on the brake I hear a strange noise followed by a click (something turning off?). Is there a test of the VSC system that is done while decelerating?
    Antilock brakes?
    Yeah, I was hearing that in my 2002 as well as another 2001 I test drove. Apparently it is a normal function of the braking system. Not to worry. Does anyone here know specifically what this noise is? Brake booster? ABS?
  • fourrunnerfourrunner Member Posts: 17
    I have a new 2001 4runner with sport package. So far, I am very happy with it except more bumpier than my other regular cars but it is fine. I have noticed that once for a while there is a small clicking sound comes from the front AC/fan panel. It sounds like an automatic on/off switching sound. I heard that even when my AC and fan was set at completely off. It does not bother me too much but out of curiosity, any one knows what is the reason for the sound.
  • autos3autos3 Member Posts: 24
    I have a 01 SR5/Sport. So far I love this thing! We recently purchased a new boat and are concerned though with the towing capacity of the 4runner. The boat weighs 4000#, add trailer and full of fuel brings the weight close to 5000#. Will the 4runner be able to tow this much? We will only tow 4-6 times a year roughly 30-50 miles each way.

We are very concerned, and perhaps might trade the 4runner towards the Sequioa.
    Well, you're pushing it. As you know, the towing capacity of the Runner is 5000 pounds. As the owner of a boat that weights 4200 with a full load on the trailer, I will tell you that I would not be comfortable towing that much in a Runner. Now, if I only had to do it a couple of times a year and distances were very short and terrain was flat, I wouldn't worry about it.

What would worry me is not so much the power, brakes or suspension, but rather the wheel base. With that much weight, your boat will be throwing you around pretty hard. Combine this with 183 HP and you could be in trouble on the highway. Keep it in town or look at a Sequoia.
    You never confirmed what kind of warranty the $746 got you. Also, anyone out there know of a warranty deal to be had at a Toyota dealership in Northern Cal? I love my new 4Runner! 2001, and after $500 over invoice and the rebate of $1500, I got it for $26,700!
  • 4winns4winns Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2001 4Runner Ltd. that I believe has a similar sound. Before the click or "pop" there is a vacum or presure escape sound and then a "pop". The cycle is intermitent throughout the drive. However, I have noticed a pattern. The pop is heard at start up, then again after the car is put in gear. Even after warm up, the cycle is heard whenever there is a significant change in vehicle speed i.e. exiting a highway, cruising at 45mph and then coming to a stop etc. I took the car to my dealer but was not happy with their cursory attempt at diagnosis. I was told it was a blend door opening and closing and it was normal.

I told the dealer I didn't agree because the auto climate control was turned off, and no other 4runner limited I have driven makes the same sound. I believe the sound originates in the air induction system. I plan on trying another dealer. Have you asked your dealer about the sound? I also have an audible flutter vibration when the vehicle is in gear and at idle.

Thanks.
  • fourrunnerfourrunner Member Posts: 17
    Thank you 4winns for such detailed description. I have not taken my car to dealer yet since I only have 1300 miles on it. I must say your observation is very similar to mine. I believe other people must also experience the same. They may not pay too much attention to it. I will definitely ask my dealer when I am in for service but I am 99.99% sure they will tell me it is normal. At least by keeping radio on, it does not bother me.
  • jasanjasan Member Posts: 12
    Have any of you with this same clicking sound notice that the brake pedal oscillates slightly during the "vacuum or pressure escape sound"? This is why I origionally asked if it had something to do with the braking system or VSC. CLIFFY, have you experienced this at all, any ideas?
    Jason and Fourrunner, I have not noticed my brake pedal oscillating during the presure build. However, I have noticed a slight drop in RPM until the click or pop is heard. I listened to it again today and the click sounds like it could be a relay opening and/or closing. The vehicle runs great. It is just the cycling of the presure build and then "click" throughout the drive. Plus no other 4runners I drove made the sound. I only have 2900 miles on the truck so I'll try a different dealer after I put a couple more thousand miles on the odometer.

If either of you or your dealers find a fix please let me know and post the solution.

Thanks.
    Jason : After your note from yesterday I noticed today that the sound only ocurred when I braked. Not every stop, but the cycling of the "click" was definately correlated to braking. That would also tie into the fact that the click never occurs while accelerating, cruising, or decelerating. Only when braking. Any thoughts? Cliffy, any thoughts?

Thanks.
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    I thought the 2001 4Runner got the VSC and traction control but lose the locking differential, correct???? But when looking under Edmund's standard equipment list for 2001 4Runner it list locking differentials.

This bring me to another question on the 2000 4Runners. I thought they did NOT come with VSC or traction control but does have the optional locking different, correct?? But if you read the Preview/Review section it says they come with VSC and traction control.

Can any clear this up? Thanks.

Leo
    You might want to read Cliffy's Toyota 4WD systems explained at the top of the SUV menu. Very informative! I also purchased a 2001. My good friend has a 2000 which does not have the VSC and Traction.
    I am still hoping that Magchase or whomever will enlighten me as to the best deal on a Platinum 7/75 extended warranty in the Northen Cal. area. Thanks!!!
    I don't have an exact figure for the 7/75 Warranty. It was someone else's post refering to the $700.ish cost. I still have a few weeks left to select an extended warranty (if I choose), but my dealer quoted me over $1,000.00 for this service. I guess I'll have to do some serious negotiating or pass on this deal.
    akg, the warranty I was referring to waas the Platnum 7/75 warranty and it was in Utah. Not northern California. At any rate, the price finally quoted me after numerous refusals on my part was $775. I am still not sure whether or not I will take it as everyone I know with a 4runner has not required any major unreasonable service outside the warranty. So, I am thinking $775 in the stock market might be a better insurance plan.
  • sambonsambon Member Posts: 1
    I have a silly question. I have a high frequency hearing loss compliments of the military and I can't hear the beep when I activate my alarm on my 2000 4Runner. I have been told that the volume can be increased, but have not found anyone that knows how. Any suggestions? I have to be physically looking at the lights to know that the alarm activated.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    sambon,

That is not a silly question! There are many who would like to know the answer - anyone?

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    I think I found this on another 4Runner messageboard somewhere else, so I will copy and paste what I originally copied and pasted.

"There is a way to increase volume described in shop manual, page BE-98. Remove key from ignition, open any door. Press and hold unlock button for more than 5 sec. System will beep twice when it changes to volume adjustment mode. While continuing to hold unlock button down, press lock button to increase volume or press back window button to decrease volume. When you are finished releasing the unlock button returns the system to normal. System beeps 2 times when it returns to normal. I increased my volume to max today (there are 5 steps to the volume, factory set is intermediate) and there is not a lot of difference in the volume setting."

From what I previously thought, the unlock button referred to was the one on the keyless entry fob, the lock button was the one on the door, and the back window button was the one on the center stack. When I tried it, I thought I heard a very slight difference, but it may have just been my imagination. Looking at it again, this may actually be referring to all the buttons on the key fob, I didn't think of trying that at the time, unfortunately my 4Runner is elsewhere, so I can't try it right now. Hope this helps.
    I have been on vacation so I apologize for not responding to a few inquiries lately.

1. The clicking sound is PROBABLY due to your ABS system but I would need more information to know for sure. If the sound happens at hard stops or on loose gravel or wet pavement, what you are hearing is the ABS system at work.

I will also tell you that my Tundra had a single click EVERY time I hit the brakes. I don't know what it was but performance was unaffected and it went away about a year ago. My shop had no idea what it was. Since it is gone and didn't seem to affect anything, I didn't worry about it.

2. Warranties. The 7/75 Platinum warranty is a great deal at $700. Dealer cost is $475 and most stores will not sell it unless they can make $400 on it. I know that may sound steep, but that is reality. If you can get it for $775, its a good value. MSRP on that warranty is $1150.
  • loma1loma1 Member Posts: 32
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a dog/cargo guard for the rear?

Gary
  • jbubisjbubis Member Posts: 5
    I've been wanting to change my rear wiper to a winter blade. However, I've been having a problem finding one that fits. Does anyone have any experience or advice with this? Thanks in advance.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Isnt there a redesign due for the 4 runner ? i had read prior it was 2002 ?

DL
  • rljslickrljslick Member Posts: 59
    Nope, everyone is saying 2003 now. Sound like there a good chance that the 4Runner will be bigger and with a V8! Personally I like the size of the 4Runner and hate to see it get larger. I hope to get a 2002 early next year!
    Perhaps they will just start importing the Prado.

http://www.toyota.com.au/index_showroom.asp?forcenav=showroom

Gary
    I thought the Prado was the Landcruiser currently sold in the US market with other engine options?
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    thanks guys , a friend was looking, but did not want to buy if a redo was a few months away,

Regards,
    DL
  • mybenjemybenje Member Posts: 18
    I am getting close to close a deal on 2002 4Runner with Sport Package 4WD. The Price is 27850.42 + Tax, Lic and Reg, after the 1000 cash back (In southern Ca area).

Is this a good deal?

I like to get it in the Silver color, however the sales guy is telling me that the 4 Runner with Sport package does not come in silver only in Thunder Cloud. Is this true?
    Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks
    Your pricing seems reasonable, but barter as low as possible (of course). I haven't seen a silver sport but our thunder cloud is a great color (in our humble opinions) and is as close to "silver" as I've seen.
  • jeffjeffjeffjeff Member Posts: 54
    I'm just as curious as all of you are regarding the redesign of the 4Runner. I have wanted one ever since I fell in love with them at the age of 7 or 8, I believe. Over the years, the truck has just grown up and now, it looks better than ever. Below is some information that I found on the web. The link to the site is:

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/details/toyota024runner/expreviews.html?review=cg

Model News

On a year-to-year basis, 4Runner sales dropped 10 percent in calendar 2000, ending just shy of 112,000 units. The likely reason? More competition from newer midsize SUVs, including a growing number of car-based "crossovers".

But 4Runner fans won't be waiting long for an updated version of their favorite. It's due to arrive by mid-2002 as an early '03 model. Tipsters say it rides the same new platform destined for Toyota's redesigned 2003 Tacoma pickups, and will be engineered for greater refinement and better performance. Even so, the '03 will maintain 4Runner's traditional truck-tough character so as to stand clearly apart from Toyota's new car-based Highlander. A four-model lineup should carry over from 2001 as Toyota goes with the market flow and gives Highlander more emphasis as its mainstream midsize SUV.

SUVs of all types keep on getting bigger and costlier. The new 4Runner should be no exception, though it may not grow to 2002 Chevy TrailBlazer size, and Toyota will employ all its latest manufacturing tricks to minimize sticker shock. An optional 3rd-row seat is an outside possibility, but we can't confirm that or details at this point. Keep checking back with us for further information as it comes to light.

They call it the Land Cruiser Prado but I'm sure its different because they sell it in AU alongside the LC 100 series which is what we have here. I think it's smaller than our cruiser and larger than a 4runner.
    If they were going to make the 4runner larger it would seem to be more economical to just import something already designed and badge it 4runner than to create a whole new design. But there may be problems with US safety laws and the current design of a Prado, who knows?

Gary
  • autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    I'm in the market for an old suv. Since this is the 4Runner board, can anybody out there advise on what to look for on an old(er) one? I'm talking anywhere from 1989-93. I'm also considering a Jeep Grand Wagoneer from about 1986-93 - the last year they made them. I just like the looks of the Wagoneer. What should I look for on the 4Runner say, if it has well over 100,000mi.? Would I be crazy considering one with this many miles? And, as for the Wagoneer, any ideas on what to look for/watch out for? Thanks to all!
    <<#837 of 848 dog guards by loma1 Nov 19, 2001 (04:09 pm)
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a dog/cargo guard for the rear? Gary>>

We have successfully used the Midwest Barrier for three different vehicles (Explorer, Jeep Gr. Cherokee and now our 4Runner). Great for any size dog(s). Our two Golden Retrievers work well with this item.
    It is available through your local pet supply center or can be ordered via mail through:
    Cherrybrook (1-800-524-0820). Catalogue #46 features these items on page 11. They are easily adjustable to fit most any SUV vehicle, are sturdy and simple to install/remove.
    Carl Wytovich
  • 3686236862 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a dorado gold 4runner (2002) Limited. Since the color is not a "true" gold but a somewhat silver-gold; I'd like to bring out the gold color. Would a gold emblem or black pearl emblem package enhance this color? If the gold would work; what is the cheapest but most durable way to go about it? Have it brushed on or replace all them emblems? The dealers are very pricey in terms of ordering the emblems and installing. Any suggestions, esp. for this particular color?