Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• jfegerjfeger Member Posts: 38
    I plugged it straight in without a surge protector. I have a Toshiba Tecra TE2100. I think the only real risk is drawing more current than the outlet is rated for, or damaging the battery charger. I feel Toyota would have protected this outlet for current rating, so it would trip the fuse/breaker before it damages anything. As far as killing the battery charger, I see this no different than using a cigarette lighter charger, with the exception that those have some added power conditioning built in that the standard wall charger may not.
  • newswordsnewswords Member Posts: 12
    Thanks jfeger. Good to know it's working.
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    What's the power draw on your laptop, jfeger? The AC->DC converter on mine has an input of at least 160W (100V * 1.6A), even though the output is only 65W (18.5V * 3.5A). I think the outlet is only rated for 100W. Though I would like to use it, consdering my wife and I are going on a 2000+ mile road trip in our 4Runner in 10 days....but I haven't tried it because I thought the draw would be too much for the outlet.

I have a Compaq Evo N610c.
  • yabedudeyabedude Member Posts: 26
    Has anyone added a CB antenna to a 2004/04 yet? I'm curious what type you installed and where. I don't want to drill holes. Magnetic ones will scratch, and the window ones are not strong enough.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    The K40 antenna works very well and doesn't move at all. The magnet mount is great. I usually cut a thick piece of tracing paper or baking paper just slightly larger than the magnet. Thick construction paper works well too. It should keep it from scratching any paint. The magnet is huge and won't have any problem staying put. I had it on a black 4WD and never had any problems with it.
  • terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    Do you work for the National Enquirer or just sit around basing a theory you have on hypotheticals that are completely groundless and based on nothing more than your own rantings?

The VSC/TRAC has been around for a long time. Toyota has it on the older 4Runner and many, many thousands of them do fine with VSC/TRAC with well over 200,000 miles.

It is frightening how little you know about solid state electronics or the fundamentals of the systems in Toyota's trucks.
    If you have a concern, why don't you call Toyota and ask them for literature on the VSC/TRAC system. That way, you don't sound like a tool when posting conjecture.

BTW, ABS is an electronic system that comes standard on nearly every production vehicle in the United States. When are all these cars going to self destruct?
  • asif1asif1 Member Posts: 49
    I am surprised what is the motive for you to post such a message to spread chaos among owners with no solid ground. you are basing your theory on your junkyard experience. I am not an Electronics engineer but a simple person can tell that any Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) or Actuator can simply be programmed to shut down incase any malfucntion occurs. In case some thing goes wrong the System wont kick in, not to what you think that it will go wrong way. The Vehicles with these systems are tested for long time. Can you imagine a billion dollar company will risk its future by not exhuasting the possibilities of what can go wrong. The PLCs are in market for a long time, engineers have been studying it for more than 20 yrs.. i guess you should take your Terminator theory some where else.
  • jcliffrojcliffro Member Posts: 108
    I have to side with the opponents of rodout's posting. Rodout, if you had prefaced your comments by saying "I have thought about it and my fear is that...." then that would have been an entirely different matter.

However, by not prefacing it that way, you owed your fellow post readers some authority for your statements. Can you cite to any studies or higher authorities than yourself to back up what you have said about what happens when VSC systems get old? If what you have posted turns out to be true in even 2% of cases, then we all should know about it; me in particular since I am still driving the 1985 Nissan 300ZX that I bought new over 18 years ago (only 86,000 miles) and I would not be surprised to have my next vehicle, hopefully a 4-Runner, for about 15 years.
  • my2centsmy2cents Member Posts: 20
    I'm a new owner of 04 Runner w/V6. Happy with purchase...yes. Have stink problem ...no. However, have noticed a low frequency rumble when cruising with rpm near 1800. More so in 2 wheel mode than 4 wheel mode. Not tires since a slight change in rpm negates the rumble. Anyone know if this ia a tranny (overdrive?) quirk. Can I live with it ...yes, but it takes away the smooth running I had anticipated with this car. Also have the slight engine valves tapping noise that some have described in the past w/V6. Open to any and all comments.

Also, if anyone is interested in all weather OEM mats or exhaust tip, etc. don't go to the dealers. Mine wanted $108+tax for the mats alone. Got them on internet for $76 shipped to my door. Shop around.
    Happy holidays.
  • smg1062smg1062 Member Posts: 54
    What are the differences? Would I need both on my new 4runner? I have made the decision to go with a 4runner Limited, V8, NAV, leather, dealer installed rear DVD system , and all the goodies (roof rack, cargo net, spoiler, etc................now I have to get the best price. I decided against the 3rd row seat mainly b/c I want the NAV, but also because the 3rd row seat is NOT safe; no airbags protect the 3rd row and the seats are almost up against the rear door. I wouldnt feel comfortable if I had little ones sitting there....................
    XREAS is a dynamic system that has all 4 shocks connected. It helps "flatten" out the ride and keeps the swaying down to a minimum. You can really notice it on twisting mountain hiways or transitional moves.

Air suspension simply jacks up the rear end when towing and carrying heavy loads to level out the suspension and distribute weight.

You cannot get both, I don't think
  • alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    X-REAS is available with the rear air suspension.

One other small advantage with having the rear air suspension is that it can make loading easier by lowering the vehicle (although it is only about a couple of inches).
    The XREAS is good for minimizing rocking and rolling, and the air susp. is good for heavy loads/towing. So if Im not towing (ever), then I dont really need the air susp..............true? If its a major extra $$ option, then I suppose I dont really need it......
    Yes. Toyota made the air suspension for towing. If you don't tow or carry extremely heavy loads, then the air suspension would be a waste of money.
    I certainly DONT need that, but I'll take the REAS shocks..........
    I think that if you want the Nav, then Combo #2 applies, which includes both X-Reas and Air Suspension. You probably can find one separately, but it will be harder as most 4Runners are preconfigured to either Combo #1 or #2 (with regional variations).

The Air Suspension is also helpful for heavy loads in the cargo area, but unless you carry lots of heavy stuff, you probably don't need it.
  • 18fan18fan Member Posts: 129
    I am new to SUV's (now drive a car) and would like to hear your opinions:

I am currently looking at a used 2000 4Runner SR5 4WD with 26K miles and the 3.4L V6 engine. Would you all recommend the 4Runner? What kind of gas mileage could I expect? (I drive about 80% city & 20% highway). Are there any maintenance, defect, or repair issues I should know about before buying this vehicle?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--18fan
    With 80% city, I am going to guess around 15mpg.
    The 2000 4Runners are bulletproof and there are no issues with them that I have heard.
  • jfegerjfeger Member Posts: 38
    My Toshiba Tecra TE2100 laptop power supply is marked as follows:

Input: 100V-240V~ 1.2A-0.6A 60-60Hz
    Output: 15VDC 5A

So I guess I am doing 120Watt's max on this guy, but more like 90-100Watts based on the middle ground.
    ANyone know of changes for the 05's? 3rd Row seats and NAV together would be wonderful, but are there any major changes? I know Nissa has a completely new Pathfinder coming out and the design looks hot...........I can wait if necessay as I dont need to buy right now, unless my 1987 Maxima wagon craps out on me during the winter (2nd car, not primary!)........
    Has anyone encountered any problems with this suspension?

How is it off-road?

-thanks
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    Check out this site for a rear hatch antenna bracket that'll allow you to mount the antenna at the rear near the tail lights w/o scratching/marring the paint.

http://valcoelectronics.com/cbacc/mis__mounts.htm

SS204A Hatch/Door Jamb Mount. Mounts inside jamb of rear doors and hatches on mini vans, SUV's. Adjustable Swivel Bracket. For antennas up to 4 feet. $14
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    I haven't personally had any problems with X-REAS. I've taken it offroad a few times, and the vehicle was quite adept at handling easy to moderate trails.
    I haven't had any problems with my X-REAS suspension. It is a great option and I definitely recommned it over the regular suspension.

I have done a little off roading (nothing too serious yet) and haven't encounter any problems. The X-REAS Suspension, according to the brochure, is meant to improve on road handling, so there probably isn't much improvement to off road ride or handling.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    I have been a longtime fan of Toyota LC and I was wondering if the current 4Runner V8 with full-time 4 wheel drive is as capable as the land cruiser in fighting rough terrain and snow and off-road adventure trips ? I am not huge on off-roading but just interested in being able to take off-roading and snow covered trips. THe land cruiser until 1999 had rear and center locking differential and in 2000+, they switched to auto-sensing setup that is tied with ABS system. SO, what do you guys think ? How does the 4Runner measure up ?
    The locking front/rear diffs(were an option) and solid front axle on the LC. That would be the best off-road Toyota of the last decade. The Tacoma with locking rear diff is also awesome off-road.

The current 4Runner and LC are equally capable off road. I believe the LC has slightly more ground clearance. I believe the 4Runner has the next generation TRAC as well as the DAC/HAC features which the LC does not.

For your uses, the 4Runner is better. More HP, more torque, better MPG and equally capable for your uses.
    Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.
  • mploufmplouf Member Posts: 2
    You indicated that your new 4Runner has Rear Air Suspension. My dealer just told me that this option is not available on the 2004 4Runners. He claims to have done a search in the Mid-Atlantic area several times and can get X-REAS on the Limited V-8, but not Air Suspension.

Would appreciate information re your sales region, dealer, anything else relevant. I have a large horse trailer and think air suspension would be desirable for towing. Thanks.
  • azrunnerazrunner Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone put in an after market satellite stereo into a 2003 4Runner? Not much room on the dash for the XM unit. My local stereo guy thought that the sunglasses holder would be a good place for the car unit. I am reluctant to change out my factory JBL 6-CD changer unit. Any ideas?

Also, has anyone had any trouble with the back hatch becoming stiff and difficult to open?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out XM & Sirius Satellite Radio for some aftermarket ideas. There's also a Toyota 4Runner Accessories discussion and Toyota 4Runner: Problems and Solutions that may have something helpful in them.

Try the Search This Discussion button in the various boards too.

Steve, Host
  • gutiguti Member Posts: 10
    I have ordered a 2004 4WD V8 4Runner from my local dealer. It had to be special-ordered because I insisted on having the rear-air suspension. When you order the rear air suspension option, XREAS comes with it.

My guess is that your Toyota dealer is reluctant to special-order a vehicle for you and would prefer that you buy one that is more easily available. I believe dealers have a certain number of special orders they can place, and they prefer to use that quota for higher margin cars.
    Why can't I get price quotes via e-mail or phone?? I've tried several local area dealers and all they do is sweet talk me over the phone and send me questionairres to fill out............even after I've sent my desired model and options to them. This is why I don't like car dealers and the sales people that work there......................Not everyone can take days off and travel to all the dealers......................
  • highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    mplouf.

I agree with guti, this dealer is not willing to take the time to find the vehicle you want.

Do you live in the northeast? When I was searching over two month's ago I found six 4Runner's with air suspension within 100 miles of my home in South Jersey. The problem was finding my preference of exterior and interior color choice and then finding a dealer willing to sell that vehicle at an agreeable price. I paid $500.00 over invoice, some dealers wanted as much as $2500.00 over stating that this was a rare SUV to find. Do not believe everything the dealer says!!

Go on the Internet and search, some dealers list options, others do not. I either saw in person or test drove the following 4Runners with air suspension. In South Jersey, Cherry Hill Toyota has one in Strato Mica, Toyota World of Lakewood has at least one in white. Yesterday I was at Toyota of Turnersville picking up the tags for my 4Runner and they had two, an 04 in blue and a 03 with 5000 miles.

If you purchase a left over or demo 2003 be sure it has thaw weight distribution hitch that will pull 7300 lbs. For your needs you 'do not want' the 5000 lb. hitch that is flush mounted on the back bumper. And most drawbars for the ball mount will not fit the 5000 lb. hitch, (contacts the spare tire) a big error for Toyota.

Use the phone, find a dealer that that will work for you. I know that Gateway Toyota in Toms River offered to order from Japan if they could not find what I requested. And the dealer can preference a vehicle, a process I really do not know much about but if an available unit is on the cargo ship and your dealer requests it, you may have it in 4 - 6 weeks. Mine took a month.

On Toyota.com - build a vehicle. Option combination #B has Rear Air suspension w/X-Reas and many other options for $5865.00. Of course this includes navigation that I fine very worthwhile.

Toyota of Turnersville preferenced mine, I picked it up with six miles on the odometer, nice way to begin you ownership. They are easy to work with, but you will have to talk a little to get the $500.00 over invoice.

Good luck.
    Why can't I get price quotes via e-mail or phone?? I've tried several local area dealers and all they do is sweet talk me over the phone and send me questionairres to fill out............even after I've sent my desired model and options to them. This is why I don't like car dealers and the sales people that work there......................Not everyone can take days off and travel to all the dealers......................
    addresses:

http://www.turnersvilleautocomplex.com/en_US/

http://www.cherryhilltoyota.com/en_US/

http://www.lakewoodtoyota.com/

http://www.gatewaytoyota.com/en_US/

If you find a 4Runner without options listed but has a MSRP of $43,559 - $43,700, you have a plus 99% confidence this truck has http://www.toyota.com/index2.html option combination #B that includes air suspension.
  • nascar9900nascar9900 Member Posts: 48
    My recently purchased 97 4Runner SR5 has the aftermarket Securikey+ remote entry / security system installed. The remote is combined with the key and has the FCC# ELVAT6B on the back. Apparently, it is made by Audiovox and installed by Gulf States Distributors in mid-1990's Toyotas.

Unfortunately, I don't have any instructions to tell me how to use it or how to turn off the blaring horn if you open the doors without disarming the system using the remote.

I've searched the 'net for instructions, but can't find any.

Does anyone have the instructions or know where I can find them?
  • mploufmplouf Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate the feedback. You've given me a lot to work with.
    You are very welcome.

I am about to load up my 4Runner with Christmas packages. And with 4 large boxes of canned goods, I will have a couple hundred pounds of gifts and food in the back. The auto leveling air suspension will adjust for the weight and keep the vehicle at the same height. Really a nice feature.

O.K., I'm off to help Santa in my high tech 4Runner sleigh. Ho..Ho..Ho
  • loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
    I was wondering if anybody knows what kind of tints( for the front driver & passenger windows) would match the manufacture's tints on the back. I recently had the front windows tinted medium, using a smoked tint. But it doesn't really match. The back tint seems to be more bluish-gray. All the window tinting places around here only have the bronze or smoked films available. The bronze I know will not match. The smoked from the outside it looks o.k.(can tell a little), but from the inside you can really tell the difference.
  • lkotovichlkotovich Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I just purchased '04 4Runner Sport Edition in Titanium Silver. This will be our 3rd 4Runner.

Did anyone research aftermarket DVD navigation systems for the '04 4Runner?

Please share any installation, use, and operation experiences.
  • moloconomolocono Member Posts: 16
    I just got this Armor All gift set for XMas which includes wheel cleaner, tire foam, cleaning wipes, car wash concentrate, auto glass cleaner, and the original solution. I have heard horror stories about Armor All, but I wanted to know for sure if can use these products on my 2004 4Runner.

What can I use to clean the running boards?
    I heard that Armor All reformulated their dash stuff a few years ago. There's some links here:

scottdude "Ask the Town Hall Hosts" Dec 22, 2003 10:38pm

Steve, Host
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    Well of course you can use them, although I believe there are much better (and highly regarded) products available from Zaino, which I use and would recommend.

"Armor All" products for tires and interior vinyl contain silicone-based products which may actually hasten and promote the dessication, oxidation, and eventual cracking of rubber and vinyl. In addition, silicone-based products typically leave an "oily" feeling residue, and when they are applied to the interior of a vehicle (especially the dashboard), they tend to emit water-insoluble vapors that will soon fog and foul the interior glass as well as the lenses covering the instrument gauges. Also, silicone-based vinyl and tire dressings will tend to not only dessicate the rubber or vinyl, but they also tend to attract dust and dirt as a consequence of the oily residue they leave behind. In addition, if a silicone-based tire dressing is applied too heavily to the tires, it will tend to get flung onto the adjacent finish of the vehicle.

In short, silicone-based products can be seductive because they initially impart a good look to vinyl and rubber, but their intermediate and longer term effects are often rather insidious and harmful. Instead, use Zaino products, and rest easy.
    I definitely agree with your statements. Armor-all and other similar products do cause some window fogging This can occur naturally in new cars as all the various solvents and adhesives release gasses that can coat the windows. Also,the dark dashboard shows dust pretty easily, but using an Armor-all product practically turns the dash into a dust magnet. I defnitely do not use Armor-all on my 4Runner for these reasons. I have been using various Mequiar's products with pretty good results, but I am curious to try Zaino which has been highly lauded. We'll see :)
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    I'm looking at Toyota's website, and have the following questions:

1) The website won't allow me to price out a Limited 4WD V8. Does that mean that configuation is not available in my area (Trenton, NJ)?

2) The e brochure on the website states that the Rear Height Control Air Suspension is not available with the third seat. I'm surprised by that. It seems to me that carrying extra people (and weight) in the third seat would be a primary reason to get the air suspension. Anyone know why you cannot get both options together?

3) The e brocure says that the 6 disc in dash CD changer with 10 speakers is not available with the third seat, but I suspect they mean that the changer is available, but the 10 speakers are not. Am I correct? Is this because the third seat interferes with the placement of the rear speakers?

4) The e brochure says that the sunroof is not available with the third seat. Is this correct? Anyone know why?

5) The e brochure says that Pacific Blue Metallic is not available with the third row seat. Anybody know why?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Don't use armor all on the dash! You could discolor the dash with it.

I think armor all car wash and tire stuff would be ok but not on the dash. On the hard plastic it might be ok-just test it to see if you like it.

Don't put armor all on the running boards. You will turn them into black ice if you do!
    You can armor all the bottoms but just wash and wipe down the foot step areas.
    Check out 303 Protectant too - it's usually a buck an ounce.

Paint and Body Maintenance & Repair has lots of posts about this stuff too.

Steve, Host
  • snapshot7snapshot7 Member Posts: 15
    Sorry to say that after considering all the options, pluses, and minuses I've decided to get a 2004 Z71 Tahoe over a 4Runner or Sequoia.

I was considering the 4Runner but it is just too small for me. The Sequoia is big enough but it doesn't have that "manly" appearance that the Z71 Tahoe does. Since I'm single and this SUV will be my day-to-day driving vehicle I wanted something that had all the features, power, room, and presence that suit my needs.

While the Sequoia is an excellent vehicle it is also a "soccer mom" SUV. The Z71 Tahoe is far more masculine in appearance.

It has good resale and reliability. I currently drive a 1996 Blazer that has been great. Since this vehicle will be used for far more than basic transportation I wanted something that made a statement.
  • moloconomolocono Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the info! Now, about the dashboard...what can I use to clean it?