Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Grand Marc warped brake rotors

joneojoneo Member Posts: 2
Love the car, I actually get over 30 MPG on 55mph roads (at 60 mph). I'm an old guy so I baby it, no hard braking.
At about 12K had to have the rotors spun down due to shaking.

The problem seems to be returning at 15K. Should it, and can I expect it again and again, how many times can you grind the rotors without jeopardizing the integrity of steel? Even though the work was and will continue to be under warranty, who needs the aggravation?

Again, I must re-emphasize how delicately I treat the brakes.
Anyone else have a silmilar problem, or have knowledge on how to correct it once and for all?

Thanks for your help,
Jon

Comments

• joneojoneo Member Posts: 2
    Love the car, I actually get over 30 MPG on 55mph roads (at 60 mph). I'm an old guy so I baby it, no hard braking.
    At about 12K had to have the rotors spun down due to shaking.

The problem seems to be returning at 15K. Should it, and can I expect it again and again, how many times can you grind the rotors without jeopardizing the integrity of steel? Even though the work was and will continue to be under warranty, who needs the aggravation?

Again, I must re-emphasize how delicately I treat the brakes.
    Anyone else have a silmilar problem, or have knowledge on how to correct it once and for all?

Thanks for your help,
    Jon
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    You need to be in the loop of conversation between the factory rep and your dealer's service manager. This is a serious safety factor needing instant resolvement.

Be very pro active, serious, and firm with all concerned.

Timidity only gets twiddled.
  • lorilazlorilaz Member Posts: 1
    My daughter wrecked her '92 Grand Marquis and would like to sell the engine. It has less than 65,000 original miles on it.

How much is a fair selling price?
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Engine History?

Mileage?

Is the AOD transmission available?

Some 94 & earlier Mustang owners have been known to be interested in such.

Most helpful if the engine can be running & heard by the buyers.
  • normhanormha Member Posts: 3
    My thought is that a some point a set of cheap rotors were put on. These cars are so heavy that you need an upscale rotor or you will have this problem forever.
  • normhanormha Member Posts: 3
    My engine light comes on randomly, and, gives me the EGR code 332. I have replaced the EGR valve and tube. Is there some other valve or gizmo that is causing this problem? This is on a 92 Mercury Marquis.
  • lefty475lefty475 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have 2 grand marcs LS, and if the wheels are not torqued to specs after rotating, etc., they will shimmy upon breaking. That is the magnesium or whatever type of wheels on the LS. (not the GS)
  • lefty475lefty475 Member Posts: 2
    About 6 months ago after having the car washed and vacummed a mystery sound developed in my 2002 Grand Marquis LS. 1 1/2 minutes after starting the engine a series of warning beeps begin. The warning beep is about a second long followed by a space of a sceond and so on for 5 beeps, then 3-4 seconds of silence and another series of beeps and so on for a total of 5 series of 5 beeps each. This happens every time the car is started; weather the seat belt is fastened or not; weather the car is moving or not. The sound is different from the seat belt waring signal. It seems to emit from the center of the dashboard.
    There is no warning light, and the warning lights are ok upon starting.
  • 2kredss2kredss Member Posts: 4
    do not waste your time or money turning warped rotors. IMO and experience the problem is rarely in one's driving technique but rather a metallurgical or casting defect in the rotor itself. my experience has been that turning them is good for 10 - 15K miles at most. replace them! i have have recently put EBC rotors and pads on 2 of my cars and LOVE them. drilled and slotted rotors matched to 4 diffent levels of brake pads.
  • jg1959jg1959 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I did experience the same problem, 5 series of 5 beeps and don't know what cause this, I have a grand marquis 92. thanks for any help.