Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

115v power outlets?

eddieraseddieras Member Posts: 49
edited October 2014 in Toyota
just got home with my 09 Sienna XLE and have a question. I see the two 115v outlets - can these be used for anything? can i plug my laptop in there and run it continuously while the car is running? i realize when parked it will drain the battery but i'm looking for some guidelines as to what i can use and how long - both while the car is off and when the engine is running.
thanks so much!

Comments

• eddieraseddieras Member Posts: 49
    Anyone???
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'm sure the power output is limited, but it can probably charge a laptop. I don't think those draw too much power.

Check in the owner's manual for the limit on amps.
    thanks - appreciate the input - just wondering what people use these for. we're doing a long (1 mo) cross country trip and i'm planning ahead! perhaps a george forman grill!
    Those may pull moe power, and if so you may end up blowing a fuse.

It's probably meant for things like laptops, portable DVD players, and Nintendo DS/PSP portable gaming systems.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Your 115 VAC power probably comes from a CHEAP(***) MSW (Modified Sine Wave) 150-200 Watt inverter. Not compatible with MANY AC devices/components. Consult your owners manual before plugging anything into that supply.

*** Relative to doing it correctly, PSW, Pure Sine Wave, inverter.
  • vince113vince113 Member Posts: 6
    my owner's manual says do not use appliances that require a combined total of more than 100W. if more than 100 W is used, the protection circuit will cut the power supply.

my laptop uses 90 W (per the fine print on the power adapter). I use my laptop all the time. What I don't know is the following:
    is the limit of 100 W total for the sienna between the two outlets and therefore I only have 10 W that can be used in the other outlet or is it 100 W per outlet so if I had another laptop I could run it in the other outlet at the same time.

the manual seems to imply it is total for both outlets combined but does not say so explicitly :confuse:
    100 watts equals roughly 10-12 amps from your 12 volt system and manufacturers often choose a 15 amp limit for this sort of option, cigarette lighter, etc.
    Does that mean I can use only one laptop (90Watts) per van

or one laptop per outlet => two laptops per van (180 Watts) assuming we've only got two AC outlets
    My bet would be that provided the laptop battery is already fully charged the typical current draw, wattage use, of your laptop would be in the range of 30-50 watts. 90 watts is probably the maximum rating of the laptop's 115 VAC power supply and only rises to that level with the laptop componentry powered and charging a fully discharged laptop battery.
  • islandvanislandvan Member Posts: 23
    the big problem for me is that the outlets DO NOT work when the car is off as far as i can tell.

this is so dumb. in this day and age where people depend on their cell phone it would be nice to let your phone charge while you are out of the car for a while or even over night.

the argument that it prevents a battery from draining does not hold up as most devices do not draw that much power and they stop when the battery is full.
    I did a quick google search on that grill and it seems to vary between 800 W and 1500 W. I would guess that, the wattage is too much for an electric grill because 800>100.
    I wonder if anyone has rewired their outlet so it will still work when the vehicle is off?
    OK, let's assume i have a device that draws 90 W (say it's a laptop without the battery) and also assume I have two VAC outlets. Can I plug in and use two laptops, or am I limited to just one?
    Personally if that was what was needed I would not hesitate to plug in two laptops rated at 90 watts, esepcially with the engine running to maintain the charge level of the car battery.
  • socdad3socdad3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Sienna and the 115v outlets aren't working. I have checked the power outlet fuse (15amp) under driver's side dash. Anyone know where the inverter is located for these outlets?
    i have a 2009 Sienna. used to plug a hot pot- tea kettle type thing to boil water and worked fine. now it doesn't work though i can still use the outlets to charge my electronics - any ideas?
    Are you using the same exact appliance? If it's different I wonder if it would require more amps than the outlet can provide...
    no- it was the same one- i tried another one but that didn't work either. i'll have to check the amps on the new one
    i just checked the new appliance- specs state voltage 120V~60Hz, 10A - shouldn't this work still?
    I'm not sure because I don't have that feature.

What does the owner's manual say is the max amperage?
This discussion has been closed.