Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Kia Sorento

Comments

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Good luck with the new vehicle - I'm going to look at one as well.

As for the Equinox, please keep a couple of things in mind:

It is selling well - in fact many dealers are sold out and taking orders. That's a good thing for the Chevy dealers. It allows them to make a profit on at least one model. Begruding a business a profit is kind of un-American IMHO.

As for the bailout comment, that's GM - not the dealer. They aren't connected other than the dealer selling the brand.

Remember, it's the market that determines the price. Right now the market says Equinoxes are sticker and Sorentos are discounted.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    It always gives me a chuckle when I read of someone getting all upset at a dealer because they won't budge on a hot vehicle and think they are greedy. Well of course they are....who isn't if they run a business. It's like we, the car buyers, aren't greedy? Don't we try to find out exactly what the dealer paid for the car and get them to sell it to us for that or less if all possible?

What if we had a used car that we were trying to sell and all of a sudden if become really hot(say high mpg car and gas prices go sky high). Would we raise the price we were asking for it or would we say out of principle I'm going to sell it for $$$ less than I know I can get for it. I think we would try to get what we could for it. So does that make us evil. Hey, if they don't sell many they will lower their price.....it's called supply and demand.
  • brianawdbrianawd Member Posts: 1
    We are buying a new car for the first time in 20 years. After deciding on the category (CUV or smaller SUV) with AWD, we looked at the Ford Escape, the Dodge Journey, the GM twins, the Hyundai Santa Fe and the Kia Sorento.

The Ford was crossed off first as being dated, although my spouse liked the available auto park feature. It also felt too small. I did like the separate glass in the tailgate.

She crossed off the Dodge as "feels cheap inside." I agree - the shift knob felt loose and the plastic armrests too hard.

We liked the Santa Fe, but felt that the more modern 6 speed transmissions of the remaining cars made more sense as we do a fair amount of freeway driving. My wife did not care for the front seats as much as the other cars.

So, it was down to Equinox, Terrain and Sorento. In as much as I think dash lighting should be red (for night vision), the Equinox was eliminated.

Both the Terrain and Sorento drive well. However, I felt the forward and side visibility were better in the Sorento. Also, it is a wider vehicle thus providing a little more room inside for passengers.

With the exception of the power lift gate, we felt the Sorento offers more features for the same money. Plus, the styling cues are the latest - see Acura and Cadillac. We plan to buy one.

Here is where it gets interesting and frustrating. We live in both Canada and the United States. We prefer to register the car in Canada given citizenship and resident status (both of us are American citizens - my wife has a Canadian passport and I have Canadian Permanent Resident status).

We were told by the dealer who sells both Chevy and Kia that he cannot sell us a car that will be exported to Canada, either brand, or he could lose his franchise(s). Both cars cost approximately $5,300 USD more for the top of the line models in Canada than in the US . Further, if we do try to import either car without first registering it in the US, there will be no warranty for either make.

None of this has anything to do with the governments of either country. Importing a car into either country is relatively simple and straight forward. In fact, the dollar difference is even greater for more expensive vehicles - we were told that Corvettes are $40,000 more in Alberta than Washington State.

It is particularly galling with the GM twins as the cars are assembled in Ontario (Ontario actually produced more cars last year than Michigan). There is a Canadian Auto Workers sticker in the GM products' glove boxes. That said, it seems that all models of all makes are 15-20% more expensive north of the "line" wherever built.

A VP of GM Canada told me that they checked the competition to make sure that they are competitive. Further, he said that the differential in MSRP is long standing and that the loonie was not always as high against the greenback.

With respect to the latter, this is nonsense. The loonie has been above 80 cents US for over three years.

With respect to the former, it sounds as if GM (and their "domestic" counterparts) are not interested in recapturing market share. In essence, the manufacturers have decided to collude in screwing their Canadian customers and / or dump product on the US market.

A final thought. Kia's Canadian warranty is much less than in the US. It is 5 years / 100,000 kilometers and 5 year on perforation, 10 years / 100,000 miles and 7 years. I was told that if I bought a Kia in the states (and presumably registered it there) I would have the US warranty until it was registered in Canada. Then, it would become the Canadian warranty. If I brought the car back to the US for registration, it would revert to the US warranty.

I will find a way to buy a Kia, get a warranty and register it in Canada. I may have to wait until there is a used vehicle - it seems the manufacturers aren't running a dealer protection racket on used cars.

In the meantime, if a Kia dealer in the US reads this and is willing to provide written assurances regarding warranties on a new car, price it competitively and not require registration (other than temporary, thus eliminating any sales taxes - those will be paid in Canada) in the US, let me know. Alternatively, if there is a Canadian dealer that won't stick it to Canadian residents, please respond.

Finally, to all Canadians, start raising hell about this unfair treatment. You have better things to do with your money. Vote with your feet and wallets.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The situation you describe regarding cross border purchasing has been an issue for many years.

Back around 2000 or so, a Canadian market Honda Odyssey was about 30% less in sticker price/exhange rate than the US market version. That led many US dealers to go up and buy Odysseys at full list in Canada and re-sell them in the US at the full US MSRP. The caveat was no manufacturer warranty. But since Odysseys were a 3 month wait or ADM in the US at the time, many people decided to by the grey market cars.

AFAIK, almost all manufacturers impose this restriction on their dealers. Yes it is designed to protect dealerships and markets. IMHO, it's their product - they can impose the restriction. It's frustrating, but you aren't going to change it easily.

And no - it has nothing to do with NAFTA. NAFTA is strictly for manufacturers. It isn't designed to make things easier for the consumer.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    can anyone tell me what the recommended maintenance intervals are for the new 11 Sorie....oil changes, dif and trans fluids, timing belt, and plugs.....in order to maintain the warranty
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    generally every 7500 miles, no timing belt to replace as they use a chain on both engines; engine coolant at 60,000 miles; replace air cleaner element and spark plugs (2.4L) at 30,000 (105,000 on 3.5L); replace engine coolant at 60,000 and 90,000; other items are generally inspections and lubrication of various items.

could show you the full chart but don't know how to do it on this site (on most other forums you can download photos direct from your computer)

You can download all the info from the KGIS (www.kiatechinfo.com) site, as I got this info from the Features and function Guide (in pdf 6.1 mb). You can also view a complete breakdown of all the components of the vehicle.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    replace air cleaner element and spark plugs (2.4L) at 30,000

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a car that has required the plugs to be changed anywhere close to that early. Does anybody know the reason? Especially comparing to the V6 change at 105k.
  • kingsalmonkingsalmon Member Posts: 97
    Haha! I liked your post klrss!

Homie don't play that! That's so 90's awesomeness! LOL

Anyhow, I'm glad you did well with the Sorento. I know dealers need to make money, but coming from klrss's perspective, I could understand his point of view. Dealers should try to work with their customers when the customer insists on being loyal! I hope Kia dealers don't treat their customers that way as I know their new lineup of cars are looking very sweet and it's only going to get better!
    this doesn't make sense to me either, I have a '08 Rondo with a 2.4L and it recommends you change the plugs at 160,000 km (100,000 miles). Maybe its a typo, I can't download the owners manual from their website yet as its not posted, maybe an owner to confirm this or dealer.
    Thanks for the feedback...seems KIA has greatly improved upon their required maintenance intervals now in order to maintain the factory warranty....really glad to see no long a need to replace the time belt....and the plug change intervals are now 100K.....will check the dif fluid changes as well....as they were very frequent as well.....again thanks all....this brings the Sorie back into the picture now.....was against it based on the experience I had with my 03 and required maintenance...
  • lvhrly2lvhrly2 Member Posts: 1
    We are dealing currently on a 2011 Sorento. We've checked several dealers in our area, and found that one car w/everything but the tow package is $33,400, not including any rebates or our trade-in. Sound like we are in the same ball park.

One car dealer is telling us that the Kia currently hasn't figured out the upgrade to the Nav system. He is suggesting not to get the Navigation system for the almost $2000 price. But that excludes the upgraded radio, chrome wheels, etc.

Has anyone heard anything about the cost/downside of purchasing the car with the Nav?

Thanks!
  • derodeoderodeo Member Posts: 6
    What do they mean that "Kia currently hasn't figured out the upgrade to the Nav system."? The navigation system data is supplied by M&Soft (www.mapnsoft.com) and is current data. That navigation/stereo unit, particularly with regards to the voice command functionality, is a very good one and one of the main reasons that I will be buying a new Sorento.
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    They are telling you that b/c the dealer has a Sorie without the Nav package that they want to Move out the door.
    But like others have said here on this forum, the Packages are really, really, strange. I am liking the vehicle {although over 40 years of owning all kinds of cars it can be precarious getting the first year model}. I like the EX- V6 with the Limited ?Premium 2 package but You Can't get the Roof Rails??? Maybe it'll change. But KIA is staring to behave like HONDA. When we got our 2007 CRV EX-L, fully loaded w/o the navi package {your driving to places locally - you should know where you are Going?) But No Fog lights, No Roof Rack, are they kidding on a CUV or SUV. That is very irritating, amd menial to make me pay more for accessories that should be on a fully loaded top of the line vehicle. After over 2 years of firsdt time ownershiof the Honda, still can't forgive them for that approach. KIA don't start doing that....
    That's odd because in Canada the Sorento has roof rails standard on every model except the LX with manual transmission. Also the fog lights are standard on all models.

I was also at the Toronto Auto Show yesterday and saw a loaded Sorento with the Panoramic sunroof and roof rails.
    I wouldnt consider the 11 Sorie a first year model....yes a new redesign, but definitely not a first MY introduction.......they seem to have come a long way since the intro of the Sorie in 03.....my 03 is nothing in fit, finish,quality, options, and driving that this 11 certainly is......seems they have improved on their maintenance schedule...which was frequent and expensive in the 03, increased HP while increasing MPG at the same time...I wasnt even considering another KIA after my experiences with my Sorie.....but the 11 edition.....has me looking hard again
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    I guess you hadn't realized that since 2007 the KIAs are all much improved.I bought a 2006.5 Optima new, and after 35,000 miles I still love it.KIA is now as good a brand as any other.(IMO)
    no I havent really looked into KIA in quite some time......I keep cars for a while...have an 03 KIA, 04 Chevy, 06Pontiac and 09 Cadillac now...with the first three paid for..with 125k,160k, 40k, and 22K in miles respectively......just now begin to look into replacing the 04 which is the every day car.....and the new sorento caught my eye again.....it'll still be a year before I seriously consider a purchase....but KIA is back on my short list....
    Wow,you sure have lots of cars.
    thats what happens when you keep em..pay em off...and drive em till they begin to cost you more than you want to maintain.....the Pontiac is the Solstice...so its stays garaged during the winter...the Kia is with my step son....I drive the Chevy Malibu Maxx daily, work, dog hauler, home improvement big box store hauler..etc.....and the Caddy CTS is the weekend car for me and the Mrs......
  • glovesdonahueglovesdonahue Member Posts: 2
    So right now, I cannot purchase or lease a 2011 Kia Sorento EX V-6 AWD that has the upgraded Infinity sound system, leather and roof rails but does NOT have the third-row seats and sunroof.

Is that correct?

In fact, if I want an AWD V-6, I HAVE to take the third-row seats? And if I want a better stereo, I HAVE to take the Nav. system and the rear-view camera?

Then they play mix 'n' match with the sunroof too?

Sheesh. I'm wondering if they might un-bundle those options packages at some point so we can choose a la carte. What do you think? Worth holding off? Or should I just shop for a different make/model?
  • merf1merf1 Member Posts: 8
    Bought a 2011 Sorento LX with the convenience package [rear view screen, heated seats, etc.] at Kia of North Aurora. I got it at $1500 under invoice after the $1000 rebate and the Auto show n$500 rebate and they gave me $8500 in trade for my 06 Tucson with 43 K on it. I only paid $16200 for the Tucson just over 4 years ago, A GL with
    the 4 cylinder automatic. It was trouble free and I loved it but this Sorento is PRIMO. Love It. The six speed auto is silky smooth, Lots of room inside, and plenty of power with 175 horses.
  • dle3dle3 Member Posts: 6
    I purchased a 4 cyl 2011 Sorento FWD with Premium and Limited 2, but unfortuantly a sunroof does not come with the 4 cyl. Has anyone explored adding an after-market sunroof? If so, what has been your experience? I'd love something 'panoramic' like, but I don't believe there is anyone out there that does this?
    Sorry. I bought this with Premium and Limited '1' - not '2'. My apologies...
  • MogulmanMogulman Member Posts: 12
    Anyone know if the cargo capacity of the 2011 Kia Sorento 5 passenger vs 7 passenger is the same with the 3rd row seats on the 7 passenger folded down?

I wanted to get a cargo mat, and Kia only offers them for the 5 passenger. I'm thinking it should work on the 7 passenger with the seats down.
  • zupermariozupermario Member Posts: 8
    I've come to realize that if KIA , the brand wants to make a difference in perception of their cars and what not, they better take a serious look at how their dealers are treating their customers.

Me and my wife both visited several dealers in our area NJ markets, and I cant tell how horrendous the service and salesmanship was. Im not sure what it was or why the reps were acting that way but heres what happened.

First dealer Loman Kia in Woodbridge, walked in and asked for assistance. Looking to get the Sorento, didnt really care about options .. this was just going to be a daily driver. we liked the design and it drove well, pretty simple eh?

Asked the rep for the best price and what he had in stock, also asked if any special financing or leasing . his first response , "Hows your credit" ? we stated its fine and he says lets run it. so I tell him , to hang tight but to work out a deal first. He says, wells I cant give you a price till we run your credit. and im like huh?? explain. He says, wells you see alot of customers come in here thinking they can afford it, but if you dont get approve by the bank, i dont wan to upset you. Now im saying to myself, what the hell? do I look poor or something. My wife and I actually started giggling like what is up with this guy.

we went back and forth, he wouldnt get me a price. So I said okay, I'll buy it outright. Whats the best price. He said okay let me get my mgr

Mgr comes, and guess what the firs thing he says out of his mouth? "Did we run your credit yet" ?? So now im getting pissed and I asked the mgr, what is up with you guys and this credit thing? And im like what does my credit have to do with me wanting to pay full for this car? and he says, oh okay no problem. You just want the price? and im like yes, please so I can make a decision since Im looking at few other cars. I even told him, I got prices from other dealers on other makes/models but Im not shopping them. Im not asking them to match or beat or do any fancy dancy stuff, im in sales... they have a right to make money but just treat me right.

the mgr says, wells let me ask you.. why do you want to buy the car outright. What are you driving now? So I tell him, you see that Range Rover, thats what I have. And this COMPLETELY SHOCKS ME.. he says, oh then why are you here? I mean, you drive a range rover .. are you sure you want a kia?? Im like WTF???? so now im like are you telling me that the kia is terrible? and he says oh no, its a great car but its no match for your range rover.

I had enough and got up and walked out. As I am in the parking lot, another sales rep walks up to us and says, hey listen.. dont let those two ruin your day. and im like dude, what gives? are you guys selling so many kias that you basically just sht on your customers. and he says no, the problem is these guys have old school mentally, they so used to selling these cars to deadbeats and no credit, that when they do have a customer that has credit and money to spend, they dont know what to do withthemselves and they want to get everything from you.

The sales rep reluctantly told me he was leaving and going to another dealership because he sees this as common to many kia's dealership.

So after were like okay, lets go to another kia dealership. This one on rt 22, same thing, met with sales rep, showed me the car etc .. and the first thing out of the guys mouth, So hows your credit?? hahaha. I couldnt believe it. again we went through the same hassle, couldnt get a solid price and just walked out.

Never again, Ive owned plenty of cars and I now I know why many have told me to stay away from Kia, its not the car. the car is great, in my opinion. but I am not going to buy a car that I have to deal with such crappy dealers for the next 4-5 years. whats even funnier is that $25 bucks more than what Kia quoted me for a lease, I ended up getting an Audi A4 Quattro (I know, its not an suv but from a pricing stand pt and service , you cant go wrong. )

Its a real shame, Kia wouldve had 1 customer if they just stop playing the stupid mind games and stop treating their own brand like some 3rd world junk.
    It's not the brand.It's the individual dealerships.You've had bad luck.
    thats the problem with too many dealerships these days...its not the corporate brand, but the lousy customer experience...either in sales or service....and its not limited to any one brand.....I wish all brands had a system that actually rewarded good service and punished bad.....its easy...reward with inventory, incentives, and customer order preferences and allocations......for the lousy ones....pull the brand from them!..

glad in the end you got a car you will enjoy and the overall experience with it was much better than at the KIA dealerships!
  • red57red57 Member Posts: 18
    I am looking at the same car you got.same packages and all what did you pay if i can ask??? :) ctrying to get the best deal
    I bought mine for $23,800 plus tax, tags and fees. Note that mine is a 4 cycl with limited 1 and premium packages -fully loaded for a 4 cycl. I received the 2,000 rebates and did a lot of research. I really wanted the sunroof, but didn't want the V6 (higher MPG) nor the additional $3.5k price tag. That's why I'm considering adding an after market sunroof for aroun $1k-$1.5k, but interested in others' perspectives on this. By the way, now that I've owned the Sorento for about five weeks now, I'm a bit sorry I bought the white sand beige color (probably a bit more paranoid by others' perceptions than anything), but really enjoy the vehicle so far for the money. I've been a diehard Honda owner for the past 20 years (with one Mercedes during that time), so buying a KIA is a big 'leap' for me....
  • red57red57 Member Posts: 18
    what state you in ? man that sounds good :)
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    At Harris Kia in Lansdale, Pa.

I actually had a salesmen tell me that he didn't have time to talk to me. As I walked out the door he picked up another donut and cup of coffee.

Another salesmen and I at the same place as above were talking about some service issues I had with their shop. He flat out said all shops work this way now.

Yup down the road I went and bought a Chevy at a dealer that I've never had a problem with.
    I have my Optima serviced at Courtesy Kia/Mercury in Moline ,Il and it took me three tries before I found one that I found to my liking.
    It's too bad,because the new Sorrento is something special.I have a KIA Optima that I bought in Nov 2006 from another dealer, and it runs like a new one still.Absolutely trouble free after 36,000 miles plus.
  • bigjcpumpbigjcpump Member Posts: 1
    It does not fit. The wheel wells are spaced differently.....i know, i'm now stuck with a cargo mat that doesn't fit!
  • reubenray1reubenray1 Member Posts: 21
    I am in the same situation you was with the Equinox, but with one twist. My brother retired from GM so I get the Employee discount. The discount for the Equinox is nothing compared to what GM use to give. I have bought GM products for 30 years, but this may end with either the Sorento or the Hyundai Tucson. It is just me and my wife, so the third seat is not needed. My wife and my brother got into an argument concerning this especially after she pointed out the Equinox is being made in Canada and the Sorento is being made in Georgia.

My only concern with the Sorento is will the I4 engine have enough get up and go compared to the Tucson I4 engine.
  • klrssklrss Member Posts: 28
    Ya, I'm not sure how the Tuscon is power wise, but the Sorento seems to be giving my wife good service so far. I have asked her if it feels sluggish, and she said it is fine. I drove it once, and didnt feel like I was driving an underpowered car...it actually drove real nice. There were no quirks that I found. I have heard TONS of times from the wife " I love my car". ha!
    We had our first service done on it last Friday. She said it was pulling alittle to the right. I called the Kia Dealership, and told them about it. I told them " Chevy will give a complimentary front end alignment if I bring it to them before 6,000 miles and I didnt know if Kia does the same". He said they have something similar, but he would have to look at it first. So she brought it in there, and he said it was off alittle, and did the front end alignment. They also looked into the TSB Bulletin that we got in the mail about checking the connector on the Computer ( turned out to be fine). So..I cant complain yet. We will see what the future holds.
  • 11sorento11sorento Member Posts: 1
    I have 600 miles on a FWD LX automatic. Twice I have had the trans appear to lock up going down the road. Once at 45 and once at 60 MPH. It gives the feeling of hitting a tree stump in the middle of the road. The event is accompanied by a loud bang inside the vehicle. The trans goes into 4th gear by itself and will not shift higher until you stop the vehicle and restart the motor.

The dealer said they never heard of this kind of problem and it has not thrown any codes yet.

Any ideas??????? :sick:
  • ldward45ldward45 Member Posts: 3
    I have noticed that there is no change in my fuel mileage with a full tank of gas with the ECO on vs a full tank of gas with ECO off. I do mostly hyw driving at about 55-60 mph and seem to only avg 20-21 mpg. Has anyone else noticed this as well? I have the 4cyl.
    Maybe your trip computer is off,21 MPG highway is beyond BAD, its horrible.I would definitely raise the issue with your dealer's service dept,and don't let them tell you it's the break in period.
    Thanks I will ask them to check the computer cause I feel theres something wrong also, I asked the service dept. before and they told me, it was the break in and to give it around 3000 miles. So at 3000 miles I took it in for a service and told them that there was still no change in it they told me that had spoke with Kia and that Kia said it takes up to 5000 to 7000 miles. Well I'm at 5067 miles now with no change. I wonder what will be their next excuse.
    If I may make a suggestion,do it the old fashioned way.Next time you fill up,reset the trip odometer to zero,then when you fill up again,just divide the miles by the gallons your next fill up takes.
    It usually is more accurate then the trip computer.
    It is true that the hyunday/KIA engines take a few thousand miles to break in,but 21 MPG Hwy is a bit too low to be acceptable.I have owned a Hyundai Sonata, and currently have a 2006.5 KIA Optima with a 4 cyl engine,and never have either of them gotten as low as 21MPG on the highway.I would suggest that 23-24 would be the absolute lowest during the first couple thousand miles.
    Yes, thats the way I do my mileage is by resetting the odometer and dividing the gallons into the mileage on the next fill-up and it is always around 21-21.5 mpg. I also have a Hyundai Genesis Sedan with the V-6 and it gets 28-30 mpg and on the interstate it gets 34 mpg. If it was getting 23-24 I would be happy considering its an SUV.
  • fabnyfabny Member Posts: 2
    I have had 2 Kia dealers say they can't hear any problem but.....every time I hit a bump or depression in the road with the right front wheel it sounds like a loose coke bottle is inside the strut assembly and makes a knocking sound. A factory request was submitted today at the last dealer appointment for investigation. ANYONE HAVE A SIMILAR NOISE??? I feel like I bought another GM vehicle with the dealer passing the buck. Otherwise I love the vehicle.
    this item was in the most current article of Tech Times (Vol 13, Issue 2, page 7)

"The 2011 Sorento (XM) spark plug NORMAL maintenance interval has been revised. Spark plug interval for the 2.4L engine was orginally set at every 30,000 miles or 24 months and the 3.5L engine every 105,000 miles or 10 years. The new interval for both 2.4L and 3.5L engines are now established at 100,000 miles or 10 years."
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    Hey guys, I am currently in the market and really like this car, but have these questions about it:

1. Oh what exterior colors is the two-tone interior available in?
    2. Can one replace the 18 inch chrome allow wheels for the regular 18 inchers that have no chrome when chosing the Limited Package?
    3. Can one get Premium Package 2 on EX V6 that includes the Panoramic sunroof and still have roof rails?

My dream Sorento would be a EX V6 in either Pacific Blue, Ebony Black, Titanium Silver or Snow White Pearl with 'Limited Package with Premium Package 2' and with the two tone style interior.

If anyone owns a 2011 thats close to my dream one or if it even has the 2 tone interior please take some pics and show us!!! I can barely find any "real life" pics of the two tone interior online
  • mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    edited May 2010
    New York Times review of 2011 Sorento in today's paper.

Very harsh review.

Behind the Wheel | 2011 Kia Sorento
    Not a Truck, but Still a Rough Rider

Orth Hedrick, the director of product planning, said Kia decided a unibody was needed to compete with the Toyota RAV4, Ford Edge, Chevy Equinox and Honda CR-V. The change, Kia reasoned, should give the Sorento sharper handling and a better ride — but I found the ride highly disappointing.
  • tom7791tom7791 Member Posts: 1
    Would sombody please measure length height and width of storage slot under the cargo floor with 3 rows of seats. Thanks a lot.
  • sedonanysedonany Member Posts: 2
    I have noticed this since we purchased the Kia Sorento (2011 4 Cyl. AWD) back in March.
    The car has a great deal of rolling resistance. It's almost like you are driving with your foot on the break. It appears to be the transmission. Whatever it is, at 20MPH it stops and allows the car to finally coast.
    I have tried shifting to neutral while driving and the car will actually coast for along for quite a distance. This has to be affecting the overall gas mileage.
    Wondering if this is a design / engineering flaw or something that can be corrected?
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I have been seriously looking to purchase a new smaller SUV/Crossover to replace my 2004 Mountaineer AWD V8 that gets terrible city MPG. I was really impressed with the Chevy Equinox and might buy an LT2 V6 or LTZ V6 (both FWD) if they can get any in. I also like the Hyundai Santa FE Limited, but the seats behind the front seats have very little leg room My 17 year old son is 6'4" with long legs and it would be tight. I got my newest issue of Consumer Reports and it gave a rather glowing report for the newest Sorento. I went and test drove a EX V6 FWD that had every option and was very impressed. I didn't notice any suspension problems and the ride was great even when going over a long strech of filled in pot holes where the blacktop crap they used was not level with the road surface. The thing that bothered me was the fact that you had to buy the package with Nav and rear entertainment to get the 18" polished wheels, Panoramic roof, upgraded stereo and heated leather seats. I don't want the Nav and Dvd. $33,000 MSRP for a Kia! I can get a loaded Equinox LT2 V6 FWD without Nav and DVD for $29120 Msrp a little over $31,000 through my GM Supplier Discount which my company participates. It came with beautiful Heated Leather Seats, Pioneer Stereo system, sunroof, Power Liftgate, 18" Polished Wheels, Backup Camera, and of course everything else it comes standard with such as Climate Control, steering wheel mounted Audio Controls, and etc. The biggest thing was when the rear seat was slid back you had almost 40" of legroom. What kind of deal can I expect for the loaded Sorento?
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • kia2011kia2011 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem as u. I actually printed your comments and brought it in with me to show them. Tech did find my tire pressure to be 45, not 35 as they should be. Tech did hear the noise and put in a open ticket with corp and he called back the next day saying corp is aware of the noise and would contact me when its corrected. As long as they fix it, that is all I care for
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    My Wife and I are at a point where we have narrowed down our new car choices between a Equinox LT2 V4 or V6 and a Sorento EX V6 Fwd with the Premium Package (the one with the Panoramic Roof). Does anyone know if the Steering Wheel Mounted Controls and the Window Controls are Back lit? In addition to the Rearview Camera in the mirror is there a warning sound to let you know how close you are to an object when in reverse? Is there an outside temperature and Compass available? The dealer is seemingly willing to deal and has stated that he will throw in the Mirror Finish Wheels for free even though not in this package.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE