Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Tucson V6 driving question

brewbearbrewbear Member Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Hyundai
Hi all,
I just bought a 2008 Tucson v6 in slightly used condition. It had 6k miles on it. My major problem is that I can't get the darn thing up om the driveway- guess i should've gotten the 4WD! Any ideas...besides moving to a place where the driveway is not so steep?
Thanks in advance,
Brewbear

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You can't get your Tucson up the driveway because it doesn't have enough power or because the wheels slip?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • brewbearbrewbear Member Posts: 4
    Hi Tidester,
    I realize I didn't say it, the front right tire slips. That is why i did try the lower gear (1) but no go. This is the first front wheel drive car i own and i figured it is my lack of know-how. The car owner manual is not very helpful in driving hints.
    Thanks,
    Brewbear
    Is the incline straight or is it curved? I find it curious that it's always the right wheel that spins along with the fact that it never happened with other vehicles.

Has anyone else experienced this?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Hi Tidester,
    The house is in the hills so: I turn right into the driveway. I usually come down down-slope, turn right into the driveway which is slightly curved to the right and up-slope. The problem arises when the car is starting the ascent into the driveway from the street. So i guess, the best way to explain it is that I'm going from a descent into a fairly tight right turn followed by a sharp ascent on the driveway that bends to the right slightly.

Thanks for the help,
    Brewbear
    Other factors that came to mind are whether the driveway is paved or gravel and whether your tires are overinflated.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The problem arises when the car is starting the ascent into the driveway from the street. So i guess, the best way to explain it is that I'm going from a descent into a fairly tight right turn followed by a sharp ascent on the driveway that bends to the right slightly.

My drive sounds similar although there's no descent getting to the start of my drive. Your's is probably steeper than mine, especially at the start. My FWD minivan can't get up my hill when it snows and compacts. If the snow is fresh, usually I can make it. My AWD wagon never coughs. If I stopped 30' from my garage in dry weather, I may have to back down and attack it again in the van, but usually I can feather the gas enough to go up without digging in.

I drove FWD cars and minivans for years in snow country without much problem. My current minivan has high tread wear all season (i.e. highway) tires on it. I think with a better tire, it would make up my drive more times in the winter.

You may always have trouble in the winter if you get snow, but a better tire may let you get up your drive the rest of the year easier.

I never grade my drive either (except I'll even out the dips occasionally with a shovel). Those bumps really stall out my van in the snow too.

So I agree with Tidester - try lowering the tire pressure and if that helps, start budgeting for new tires.

If your drive is paved, then it really must be steep! You could always back up the hill. :)
    Thanks for the replies,
    I live in the Los Angeles area and snow is hardly an issue. Both of you guys mention the tire pressure so i'll go check. I made the assumption that since the car was bought from a dealer everything was up to specs...but then again, assumption is the mother of all f--ups, or so i've been told. I did think about backing up the driveway since that would be the lowest gear, so that's the next step. Oh, yeah, the drive is asphalt.

Thanks,
    Brewbear
This discussion has been closed.