Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Electric-Assist Power Steering (EPS)

Comments

• mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Yep me too in the mail on Saturday i thought what another recall.... funny :)
    WOW our Government better be careful they have company ;)
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Toyota is just like any other company when it comes to the business end of things and trying to save their a**. But what struck me was that I don't see in this article as any mention of an Electronic Power Steering issue. They mention all of the other potential Toyota woes, but not a mention of an EPS problem. So I don't follow the connection your trying to make with the EPS here.
  • sjareasjarea Member Posts: 49
    edited April 2010
    Tom the reason you did not see EPS is because the story is based upon sifting thru previously filed lawsuits. I do not think there has been one in regards to EPS so it should be no surprise it is not mentioned.

One aspect to all this that gives me an uneasy feeling is what you are describing- You state your mechanic buddy and the service manager don't know anything about it. Really? All one has to do is look at toyota.com and you can see they have posted the following-
    Posted to: Corolla, Toyota
    Toyota Update
    We are aware of complaints regarding 2009 and 2010 Corolla steering systems and are actively investigating the issue. While we have not received official notification from NHTSA, we will certainly cooperate fully with any NHTSA investigation. We’re committed to being responsive to our customers.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-update-154007.aspx?srchid=K610_- - p283604577

And with the formation of a new QA team and I'm pretty sure the service depts. at dealers have meetings to discuss issues just means to me that the level of communication through-out the company is lacking and doesn't sound very responsive to customers IMO. How can a company post something on their website for the world to see, and yet the dealer network doesn't know? You might buy that, but I don't. Add in the fact that amg1099 wasn't told a thing about his vehicle inspection. With all that in mind re-read the above article about the strategy in general. I am not saying they have/are done or doing anything wrong, but the emerging pattern is less than flattering for toyota IMO.

Update-
    Had a left rear toe adjustment done on Saturday at the dealer (meaning it rolled from the factory out of alignment as mileage listed was only 567). Did not drive it on the freeway back home so I do not know if my issue has been resolved. Haven't had a chance to test drive it further. With the weather we are having now (wind/rain) I will check the issue over the next couple of weeks. But, I thought there was no way to adjust the rear? Some people say there is and some say there is not. If there is and people are reporting this issue why isn't the dealership jumping on this to re-align? Again, the communication and strategy to resolve this issue is lacking IMO right now.

For the record - I have only driven toyotas since '93 so I am a fan and not trying to bash toyota, but I still have no clear idea of what is going on and what the resolution is. Maybe with a little 'luck' my issue has been resolved. We'll see.
    As I stated previously, I don't doubt that you have/had a problem. But my point being, at some dealerships the guys on the front lines, like my tech. friend or his service manager, have not even heard of the EPS issue because of the infrequency of the complaints. So it don't even come up in some smaller dealerships. You gotta remember, this is a job for these guys. They don't go home and surf Edmunds.com or Toyota.com. and try to read and learn about Toyotas, they go home and try to forget about all of it, unlike us interested owners.
  • dantzdantz Member Posts: 49
    said by terceltom: "Considering the small number of Corolla owners affected by the EPS problem and the highly unlikely situation of a new Toyota having any problem at all, is really just bad luck".

I think it's a design problem and that all 2009+ Corollas have the same built-in "wandering steering" effect at highway speeds, but only certain drivers seem to notice it.

I believe that many drivers are less sensitive to these sorts of things, and they have unconsciously adapted their driving styles by paying much closer attention to their steering during highway driving without even realizing that the car doesn't track as well as it should.

When I attempted to purchase a 2009 Corolla I noticed the problem immediately during the highway portion of the test drive, although the salesman was clueless about it. I really wanted this car, so I took three test drives in three different 2009 Corollas and they all had the same problem. Eventually I gave up and bought a Honda Civic instead (which, incidentally, has flawless steering and much better handling overall).

Since then I've rented a large number of other cars, and I've noticed that several other Toyota cars with EPS exhibit the same wandering steering effect, including both a Matrix and a Yaris Sedan. However, they weren't equally faulty. I would rank them in descending order as Corolla, Yaris, Matrix, with the Corolla being worst. So I don't think this is an issue that involves only certain "affected" Corollas. I think it's a global issue that's related to the steering geometry and the design of the EPS system in several models. My guess is that in future models Toyota will be modifying the steering to add better tracking at highway speeds, but in the meantime they would just like the issue to disappear, as they've got enough going on already.

It's unfortunate that the various Corolla owners who don't like their car's steering didn't realize it during the test drive, but in retrospect I guess it's not that surprising. Most likely the salesman was yakking the whole time, turning on the sound system, talking about how great the various features are, etc., and it's hard to concentrate under those conditions, let alone discover something entirely new and unexpected. Luckily I was able to shut my salesman up so I could focus on the car.
    I think you are just proving my point of lack of communication Tom. There is NO reason to not know about the EPS issue.

"They don't go home and surf Edmunds.com or Toyota.com. and try to read and learn about Toyotas"

You're exactly right. That is why Toyota spent millions to create their own exclusive VPN called Dealer Daily. So they do not have to surf and have one source for their info. - The company.

And as I pointed out the Company already put it on it's external website for the world to see. Since I can not access Daily Dealer to verify I will just assume the network was used to communicate this issue as well.

"Using Dealer Daily, Toyota can now deliver critical news and other information instantly to any user at any dealership across the country, Cooper says.
    The company can also post critical messages that need immediate attention on Dealer Daily's home page and send targeted messages to users via the system's e-mail application.
    "This is a leap, not a step, from where we were. Communication with the factory is now seamlessly integrated with the dealer management system," says Ron Napoli Jr., general manager for Toyota North in Mount Kisco, N.Y. "
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/73370/Dealer_Daily_Toyota_s_Communication- _Pipeline?taxonomyId=9&pageNumber=1

Also remember these 'its just a job to them' guys are certified as well.
    edited April 2010
    "I think it's a design problem and that all 2009+ Corollas have the same built-in "wandering steering" effect...."
    Dantz that may be, but I don't believe that at this time since I have seen car clubs mod or bypass the EPS and say it the effect disappears. Also, the car I test drove did not exhibit this issue. The one I bought did. Again, I just had the rear re-toed and have not had a chance to test it further so my issue may or may not be resolved.

I tend to think it is how the EPS is tuned into the system as a whole. If not a safety issue/recall then toyota would still be in a position to possibly offer a remedy solution to those that think it is still to 'sensitive" (or what ever else you want to use to describe the issue). However, that might include a re-tune/recalibrate, etc., the system if at all possible (I don't know) or offer to switch it off altogether if that doesn't cause any additional ramifications to other systems on the car (again - I don't know if this is possible, but it does seem that others have done it already).

I don't think they will act until the NHTSA investigation is concluded. After that they still have options that they could consider is my point. Whether they choose to act or not at that point is entirely up to toyota.
    edited April 2010
    That's funny! You expect an automotive tech. making around $20.00 an hour to go home after working eight hours and study about Toyotas. Really !
    Yeah, all 400,000 of us 2009 and 2010 Corolla owners have the EPS problem but only 200 of us know it, okay!
  • amg1099amg1099 Member Posts: 14
    Wow, how can you work as a technician and not know anything that's happening to the car or cars that you're fixing? That seems to be odd, Terceltom??????? Yeah!!!!
    First off, I didn't say they "don't know anything", lets not insult the auto techs. My point was if they haven't had an EPS problem or complaint in their dealerships yet, they aren't going to know about it. Again, what is there, less than 100 EPS complaints out of 400,000 cars sold? That's the real world though. Just tellin it like it is in the auto repair field. Honda, Toyota, GM, Subaru, etc., etc., etc. These guys aren't hung-up on the cars there fixin. To them it's a job. You know, punch in work eight hours, punch out, go home to the family. They couldn't care if their fixin Volkswagons or fixin Toyotas.
  • tomh54tomh54 Member Posts: 4
    I am not sure if there is a Nissan specific EPS thread. Our 2008 Sentra has the same issues discussed here. 23,000 miles with new tires and you are always fighting the steering. Around town it is extremely aggrivating to continually feel back pressure and bouncing in response to your every move. Generally it wants to fight towards center but is confused by minor wheel movement. At highway speeds it is scary, unstable and unsafe. Slight wheel movement during straight line freeway driving is always met with over compensation back towards center. You can feel the rear end whip when this occurs. The dealer says they have had no complaints. Hopefully there will be some adjustment or resolution soon.
    Your post really belongs in the Nissan forum. I will say that what you're describing sounds very different from the feel of Toyota's EPS system, which generally lacks feedback and is somewhat reluctant to return to center. Regardless of its other issues, Toyota's EPS responds smoothly to a very light touch and never kicks back. Nobody here is "fighting" their steering. It sounds like Nissan may have dialed some feedback into their system, and in your case it may be a bit out of whack.

If I were you I would try driving some other 2008 Sentras to see if they feel the same way (which I seriously doubt). Also, get one or two skilled independent drivers to test-drive your car. Then present both the dealer and Nissan with your independently verified results and convince them to fix your car.

Have you already tried searching the Sentra forum for "steering"? I notice that there are some similar posts in the "New Sentra Owners' Experiences" forum. You should also run a Google search on Sentra Electric Power Steering. And I suggest you start your own thread in the Nissan Sentra forum.
    Dantz, what your describing sounds like the old manual steering.
    "Feedback" and "returning to center" is something you would expect from the old manual steering of the past. I haven't felt "returning to center" since those old'en days.
  • pekelvrpekelvr Member Posts: 61
    what are you talking about? even though youre right about the Nissan thing---Im fighting my steering anytime im on a highway which is rarely im not trying to die or kill anyone else!
    "Dantz, what your describing sounds like the old manual steering. "Feedback" and "returning to center" is something you would expect from the old manual steering of the past. I haven't felt "returning to center" since those old'en days."

Ah yes, the good old days when cars actually used to go where we pointed them, back in the days of those (now hopelessly obsolete) mechanical/hydraulic components.

Since we're getting historical (but verging on the hysterical), I've heard that the earliest vehicles were built entirely of protoplasm! Yes, these were actual biological units that had to be whipped in order to make them accelerate, and they had steering problems too! But on the plus side, they could find their way home on their own.
    Gotta agree with you there. I had a "79" Corolla with manual steering and I just loved it. I felt every little bump in the road and it turned like a truck, but I really miss it. Talk about "return to center" in steering, wow. The tranny finally went at 179,000 abnd I sold it. Looking back now, I should have put another tranny in it and kept it.
    Your crack'in me up! LOL . . . . . . Is your car really that bad or are you just embellishing a little ???????
    pekelvr said: "what are you talking about? even though youre right about the Nissan thing---Im fighting my steering anytime im on a highway which is rarely im not trying to die or kill anyone else!"

I think that tomh54 means something differently than you when he says he is "fighting the steering". Perhaps you're "fighting" to keep your car pointed the way you want it to go, but I doubt if you're actually fighting the wheel itself as it unexpectedly yanks and pulls all by itself, as tomh54 describes. He apparently feels that he's getting way too much steering feedback, whereas the Corolla EPS is so smooth and disconnected that it could almost be described as video-game steering. In fact, tomh54 would probably be very pleased with the feel of the Corolla's steering. Perhaps he should trade up!
    edited April 2010
    I agree, actually there are many of us like tomh54 that are really impressed with the light touch of automotive steering. Toyota's EPS is so very smooth and so effortless it sounds like it would be a good fit for him. Kind of almost reminds me of those television commercials where the cars can actually back-up and park themselves. What an extreme it would be to now go back to my "79" Corolla with manual steering.
    Well, if he decides to switch then you have to promise to find him a Corolla that will drive down the highway in a straight line, because I'm obviously the wrong guy for that job.
    You know what, soon they won't need us as drivers anyway, the cars will drive themselves. Hel*, they practically steer themselves already LOL . . . . .
  • jersey027jersey027 Member Posts: 7
    well i started my paper work with Consumer Affairs, Attorney Generals Office- Lemon Law and if i don't get this lemon returned soon i will hire an Attorney to process my claims of the 2010 Toyota Corolla S EPS Steering related safety issues. Or arbitration directly to Toyota Motor Corp. The 2009-2010 are unsafe to drive at least the 1 i bought with the EPS steering that wanders and hard to fight straight. I will not let my Chid or wife in this car at all. The people at my local Toyota service dept looked puzzled when i brought the steering issue to them as they said i was the 1st just like the other dealers are saying. We can't trust this greedy company with our loved ones as they don't care, just like they hid the gas pedal problems for 6 mths. What has to happen more people need to die? Do your self a favor you bought a new car and you have rights return these unsafe cars to Toyota. Never mind if you keep it the value of all Toyotas are declining fast i was told be another car dealer that my 2010 Toyota Corolla S auto with moon roof and blue tooth was worth around $10,000 i paid almost $20,000 after tax and tags and it only has 6225 miles on it. Lemon Law works up to 24,000 and 2 years from purchase date.
    My 2010 Toyota Corolla S model has 3, 285 miles on it. At 1st when I tried to get out of my 2008 Corolla I went to Mazda and i fell in LOVE with the Mazda 3, it was gorgeous and it drove like a charm! BUT when I tried trading in my Toyota they offered me only $8,000 when I had it only for one year with roughly 25,000 miles on it and i paid $15,000 for it. I told Mazda that was crazy, oh and they also wanted me to put another 10% on top of my car. I refused to do it. I told the finance guy that I felt like it was a rip off that they cars have depreciated so rapidly over night.

Thats when I went across the street and told the dealer where i got the car that i was scared to drive it, unknowing to me that the 2010 models have the same issue with EPS as the 2008 models they coerced me into a great deal on a 2010 model. I got a discount for Toyota "customer loyalty" the APR went from 17% to 1.6% and they kicked in maintenance for a year.

I was happy but a few days later I had to get on the highway and my happiness turned to to sadness and fear!

I wont drive on the highway unless I absolutely have to and if my grandson isnt in the car only. If he is in the car i have to go the long way. Ridiculous!!! to say the least,. Paying $20,000 and i cant take my Corolla on the highway. :lemon: :confuse: :blush: :P :mad:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Thats when I went across the street and told the dealer where i got the car that i was scared to drive it, unknowing to me that the 2010 models have the same issue with EPS as the 2008 models they coerced me into a great deal on a 2010 model.

Well, you're wrong there, I'm afraid. 2008 Corollas did not have EPS at all.
    Agree with you, If you got a lemon you deserve more then lemon juice!
  • amg1099amg1099 Member Posts: 14
    lol
  • zikzakzikzak Member Posts: 8
    I'd admire your fighting spirit. My daughters 2009 Corolla S has the same problem,only I believe it could be worse than how you describe your 2010 model. To make a long drawn out story short, my wife and daughter bought her Corolla without test driving it on the interstate. They only drove it around the dealership.
    When I drove the car to Jacksonville, Florida two days later, I first thought I had a flat or the alignment was way off. I could not believe how bad the Corolla drove and I was pissed this is (was) a brand new car. Again, to shorten all the stories, I've written to my Georgia US Senator and State Representative and complained about the entire issue. My request is to have "another official investigation" into Toyota's many problems and specifically their denial to having any power steering problems with the 2009/2010 Corollas. It seem the news media picked up on the power steering problems back in February 2010, although I've heard nothing since.
    Of course our dealership is no help at all and seems to go out of their way to avoid contact with us. I had the alignment checked at several Non-Toyota" car repair shops and they all say the alignment is set to correct factory specs. We also filed a claim and complaint with the National Highway Safety Board. I'll let you know what my response is from my US Senator & state rep. Good luck on your end and drive as safe as you can. Later
    WOW i guess some of these Corollas must have a issues like yours the exception not the rule but just the same it must be frustrating . You had mentioned back in October that you were going to sell it as soon as possible. Did you not have any luck at getting rid of it.

Hope you get some help...
  • barb13barb13 Member Posts: 7
    Toyota reps were here at my local dealer checking out my car last month. They were following up on my complaint about the EPS. I was driving my new 09 Corolla last year and it was swerving all over the place. They put 30 miles on my car during the check up and it involved a VP from Japan as well as a couple of guys from CA. The service manager said they were being really thorough when I questioned him about the added mileage on my car.

When I was first contacted about Toyota wanting to test my car, I told the lady that the problem was resolved. But since I had filed with the NTSB, they were following up on each and every complaint. My problem was very improperly inflated tires and I never did a test drive either when I bought it from the dealer. I just drove it in the parking lot and couldn't control the car on the way home (1 hour away). The tire icon was lit on the dash board but I didn't know what it mean at the time. When I got home I called the maintenance dept and someone told me to check the tires. I found each tire reading a different psi and they were all well under what they were supposed to be at. The car was just delivered to the dealer and was never checked out. In fact, when I walked into the dealer parking lot the car was just unloaded. The salesman had said he had sent my car to the service dept and I had thought they would check everything out before I drove off. But they only cleaned it. It was my first buying experience and I have learned from it.

I never did hear from the TMS people about the finding on my car. They sent me a survey which I filled out but that's it. I do like the EPS enjoy driving the car now. And I check my tire pressure at least once a month.

Toyota Motor Service folks were following up on each complaint (as per the person who first contacted me).
    Glad it all worked out for you. Perhaps your post might help to resolve some other's EPS problems.
  • zikzakzikzak Member Posts: 8
    My daughter wanted to try and sell her 2009 Corolla, but she would have been buried in debt and I was not willing to co-sign. This was the first car she bought on her own without my help...and she did not take my advise on test driving several manufactures. She test drove her Corolla around the block and bought it. The dealership took advange of her age and sold her a piece of crap. She is stuck with it for now. I suspect a Class-Action lawsuit over the steering sometime in the future.
    What makes you feel like the Corolla is a piece of "crap" when it gets such high ratings from drivers and leading consumer magazines? With the small number of drivers having steering issues I wouldn't hold your breath for any kind of lawsuit. If she is unhappy with her purchase and can't adjust to the EPS steering characteristics, perhaps she should sell though.
    What makes you feel like the Corolla is a piece of "crap" when it gets such high ratings from drivers and leading consumer magazines?

Apparently, driving it. Regardless of what a magazine told you, if it looked like a duck to you, and quacked like a duck to you, would you not call it a duck? Until an article writer starts buying people cars, the final judgment lies with the one spending their money. Agreed, the Corolla has a long history of being boring but bulletproof, but this issue has lots of people talking about Toyota, and its not good press.
    Okay, so if going to call it a "duck" instead of a piece of "crap" I'll go back to my original question for the poster. Why do you think your daughters new car is "duck"?
    I hate to tell you and please don't take it wrong but her age had nothing to do with the taking advantage of---as Toyota has been taking advantage of all of us owners. I recommend anyone with the steering issue go to NHTSA and file their complaint and also retrieve and print the summary of the steering issues and NHTSAs response. Keep it in glove box. Especially in case a cop pulls you over or you get into and accident. It is important to have this or they may try to get you for erratic driving or worse a DUI/DWI.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ and....

click on Defects and Recalls to retrieve/print summary report on NHTSA stance for the steering issue. Also you will need to prove it if you have to. Walk through the screens to enter make,year, model etc then make sure to select the check box beginning with "select this check box if you want to see a full summary output."

The 1st summary is about the other issues, scroll down to see our issue, NHTSA action #PE10008.

Should say---

THE OFFICE OF DEFECTS INVESTIGATIONS (ODI) HAS RECEIVED 168 OWNER COMPLAINTS WHICH ALLEGE EXPERIENCES WITH THE STEERING BECOMING UNRESPONSIVE OR LOOSE WHILE DRIVING AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS IN MODEL YEAR (MY) 2009 THROUGH 2010 TOYOTA COROLLA AND MATRIX VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ELECTRIC POWER STEERING. OF THESE, 8 ALLEGE THAT THE CONDITION CAUSED OR CONTRIBUTED TO A CRASH, INCLUDING 7 MY 2009 VEHICLES AND 1 MY 2010. A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION HAS BEEN OPENED TO ASSESS THE FREQUENCY, SCOPE AND SAFETY CONSEQUENCES OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES.

etc.....

keep in glove box, keep one at home where your significant other can have it in case tragedy happens and need to sue Toyota!!

Last send copies over and over to your congressman until someone hears us! :mad: :lemon:
    NHTSA Action Number: PE10008 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number: N/A

Make: TOYOTA Model: COROLLA
    Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION
    Year : 2010
    Component :
    STEERING

Date Investigation Opened : February 18, 2010
    Date Investigation Closed : Open
    Summary:
    THE OFFICE OF DEFECTS INVESTIGATIONS (ODI) HAS RECEIVED 168 OWNER COMPLAINTS WHICH ALLEGE EXPERIENCES WITH THE STEERING BECOMING UNRESPONSIVE OR LOOSE WHILE DRIVING AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS IN MODEL YEAR (MY) 2009 THROUGH 2010 TOYOTA COROLLA AND MATRIX VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ELECTRIC POWER STEERING. OF THESE, 8 ALLEGE THAT THE CONDITION CAUSED OR CONTRIBUTED TO A CRASH, INCLUDING 7 MY 2009 VEHICLES AND 1 MY 2010. A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION HAS BEEN OPENED TO ASSESS THE FREQUENCY, SCOPE AND SAFETY CONSEQUENCES OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES.

link title
    edited April 2010
    "Toyota has been taking advantage of all of us owners"

Not! How can you make such a blanket statement when there are hundreds of thousands of happy 2009 and 2010 Corolla owners who feel that Toyota has served them well and sold them a tremendous car? Maybe 168 of you think that Toyota is not giving you a fair shake but "ALL", really!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    edited April 2010
    Yes, it seems a vast overstatement. Additionally, it seems pointless to ask other owners to write and call their congressmen over an issue reported by 168 other people - not one they've personally experienced, but one they have heard that others have experienced. I have no way of knowing whether the reports are valid, and unless I'm mistaken, neither does NHTSA at this point - they are simply taking reports and opening an investigation, but have not verified them (thus the word "allege" sprinkled liberally throughout the report).

Also, it's quite a bit of hyperbole to suggest that this problem could lead to a person being charged with a DUI/DWI, given the near impossibility of such a charge being made with no substantiating evidence.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited April 2010
    Not sure what she paid or if there was any down payment but after two years of owning mine if i sold it today i wouldn't be in debt. Sorry to hear that you have had issues but if you plan on waiting for a law suit remember that Walmart's law suit is just now coming to light. Nine years later !!!!!
  • silvercoupesilvercoupe Member Posts: 326
    I've been driving a 2010 Corolla LE for two days now while my 2010 Camry SE is being repaired (parking lot hit-and-run).

The steering is a little different. There seems to be some lag in steering response. Because of this I find myself overcorrecting a little during Interstate travel.

Maybe it's just me, but it is a little disconcerting at times. Don't think that I want a car with EPS.
    that's a EPS defect...you've come to the right place here. Have you gone to NHTSA and reviewed the Toyota complaints on EPS? There is a defect in the computer in the steering. The EPS was designed to "help" out drivers with correcting the steering while we drive. SO for example if you are on the highway and the road has like ruts from truckers, the steering will guide the car automatically BUT BUT this is a major problem because that rut can take you over the line and into the next car in the next lane. The problem is most noticeable when on the highway going over 50, do you find yourself meandering and have a feel like the car is weaving without you doing it and then you are constantly correcting because if not the "wind" that isn't even there is going to sweep you over left right left right?
    link title

Well for a long time there wasn't a "fix" at Toyota but there is NOW! Call Toyota's experience line and tell them the car is weaving, that you feel like wind is blowing you all over the place when there isn't any wind....They will get you dealership info, so please have that on hand, and they will assign you a case manager who will contact the dealer for you. Then you take the car in for inspection and they will test drive it, make sure you defend yourself and tell them that car is going to kill you and you wont drive it like that!!! Make sure because they tend to attempt to sweep it under the rug. The actual problem is the ELECTRONIC POWER STEERING COMPUTER and they will order a replacement that supposedly was designed to not over correct the steering in the car. I have to take my car in on this Saturday just to order the part. I already traded in my 2008 Corolla that I had purchased new on the lot for the very same issue. After you go to NHTSA website.....you will need your vin # file your complaint then research others. (copy paste url)

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

this is what you key in on the search: Selected TYPE: VEHICLE » YEAR: 2010 » MAKE: TOYOTA » MODEL: COROLLA then you select "retrieve complaints."

currently there are 248 filed with NHTSA under steering. Then call Toyota's experience hotline The Customer Experience Center phone # is 800-331-4331.
    do that 1st first.and tell them you need a case manager for the EPS etc....hope that helped! good Luck!:)
    I forgot to say its also known as the steeering box! donot let them fool you Toyota knows it and they have a fix to those who seek it. They will not call you.....YOU MUST CALL THEM AND DONT TAKE ANY PRISONERS!
    Better keep your 2010 than, as the 2011 Camry has it as well as almost all other new cars.
    First off, it's only a loaner car for Silvercoupe so I doubt if they want to follow-up with the NHTSA and all those other suggestions you offered.

Secondly, I would correct you in that the "defect" as you call it only shows up in a small number of 2009/2010 Corollas

Thirdly, if you traded your 2008 Corolla because of a EPS problem you made a big mistake as the 2008 Corollas weren't even manufactured with EPS ??????
  • silvercoupesilvercoupe Member Posts: 326
    "Better keep your 2010 than, as the 2011 Camry has it as well as almost all other new cars."

Toyota's website shows the 2011 Camry to have "Variable-assist power rack-and-pinion". No mention of EPS except for the hybrid.

I know EPS is probably coming to most all new cars in the future. Hopefully it will be improved considerably by the time I need another new car.
    I could count on one hand the vehicles that come standard with EPS that are on sale today that I know of; I'm sure there are more, but few receive as much flack as the system in the Corolla. What other vehicles offer EPS besides hybrids? All I can think of is Chevrolet Cobalt and Malibu off the top of my head.
    My car isn't a hybrid. Electronic Power Steering is just a new feature designed to assist the driver. It is NOT for hybrids alone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_steering

and I quote....

"Originally invented in the early 20th century, automotive engineers have implemented this now standard feature with a variety of technologies."

:confuse:
    "Originally invented in the early 20th century, automotive engineers have implemented this now standard feature with a variety of technologies."

Your quote is about power steering in general, so I don't quite know what you're trying to say. Yes, we've had power steering for decades. Um... ok. :shades:

Electronic Power Steering is just a new feature designed to assist the driver. It is NOT for hybrids alone.

I know it is NOT for hybrids alone. Who said it was?

It "assists" the driver by removing all possibility of road-feel in the Corolla I drove (very "video-game" feeling). Toyota drivers won't notice much of a change, however. They came with most of the buttoned-down, controlled handling dialed out years before the EPS system. In a way, its faint praise for EPS, because Toyota's never had decent handling or steering feel before the EPS either. I drove an 04 Corolla extensively, an '04 LE I4 and an '07 Camry LE V6, all three of which handled like a wet dishrag, and an '07 SE V6 Camry which had better control but still no noticeable steering feel. EPS just takes away straight-line stability in some applications, it had little to do with the already soggy handling.

To EPS's credit and Toyota's detriment, several automakers use EPS and manage to still incorporate driving feel and a sense of driver involvement, and without the highway wandering many have reported here.