Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Electric-Assist Power Steering (EPS)

Comments

• amg1099amg1099 Member Posts: 14
    so the part is in order for me. let's see what the ECU is going to do with the on-center feel of my car.
  • pekelvrpekelvr Member Posts: 61
    I must say that when I first got it back it was tight, but yesterday when I drove I wasnt sure if my mind was playing tricks with me so I called Toyota and they said take it in for specs on the alignment to see if from the time they put in new unit till now if it is out of alignment, So I will keep you posted. it is definitely not as severe as before but the car is still following the ruts in the highway. I have to "make it" do what I want.
  • biffprestonbiffpreston Member Posts: 59
    edited August 2010
    It's my belief and its just a belief, that there are going to be severe limitations in what can be done with the replacement of the ECU. I cannot imagine it affecting the handling of the car beyond possibly lessening the straight roadway and highway veering problem. I'm not sure if you have any complaints beyond the veering either. I certainly do. Good luck with it.
    I just test drove a Mazda 3 and a Honda Civic. Huge difference between the way the Civic and mazda 3 drive and the Corolla. Night and day. This was especially evident with the Civic. The Cvic was very easy to steer. Extremely easy to turn the wheel and was very agile. Sharp crisp turns were easy. Zipping into a parking space after making a sharp turn into the parking lot was no problem. Driving with one hand was a breeze with the Civic. The mazda 3 had more resistance in the steering than the Civic. It still handled quite nicely. It had a slightly larger engine at 2 liters vs the Civics 1.8. My preference was for the Civic to be honest. It was so easy to steer the civic with one hand as well as hold with one hand on straight roads and the highway. I wish i had never set foot on the parking lot of that Toyota dealership. It was a dread having to get back into my heavy refrigerator on wheels with a weak 1.8 and dreadful column mounted electric steering after driving these cars.
    Biff now that is something we can agree on!
    I too test drove both 2010 models but for me I did prefer the Mazda 3. I too hated getting back into the 2008 Corolla at the time.....but the Toyota 2010 Corolla has made me a believer in them again. I test drove a used Mazda 3 off another lot and let me tell you....the car had a muffler sound, it was not as easy and crisp either...so I wonder what the life expectancy is on these cars. I remember walking away thinking I wonder who will last the longest before needing repairs....hmmm just a thought!
    edited August 2010
    I cannot imagine the 2010 Corolla handling well. I cannot imagine the 2010 Corolla handling any differently than my 2009 Corolla with the exact same steering and absolutely no design differences. Same car different year. Maybe I'll take one for a test drive then come back and share my thoughts. I'll be re test driving a Civic and Mazda 3 as well on the same trip to a different auto mall so I'll be able to compare side by side with those. There are twice as many complaints to the NHTSA regarding the 2010 Corolla steering as the 2009 Corolla as well. I don't feel inspired to believe that Toyota made some sort of change between the years.
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    If I'm not mistaken you had one of the Corollas with the fouled up steering right? So why wouldn't someone elses new Corolla handle and steer correctly? Your assuming again that everyones Corolla is screwed up like yours is.
    edited August 2010
    It's not a matter of "having one of those Corollas". It's a matter of some people are simply more tolerant of driving cars with lifeless dull electric steering that seriously inhibits maneuverability and others are not. I believe the instability issue on straight roads and highways was the least tolerable to everyone owning the cars but EPS has a deleterious effect on maneuverability. You can turn the car but you cannot make sharp accurate turns. It should be very obvious to anyone test driving a Mazda 3 and or Civic side by side with a Corolla. I did some maneuverabilty testing when I went on my test drive in the two aforementioned cars which I did not think to do on the corolla test drive. It's something that can be explained in print such as on this message board but to truly understand one needs to be aware of the negative effect that EPS has on handling then a side by side comparison of the Corolla with EPS and of models not using EPS will fill in the gaps.

I urge anyone considering a Corolla to listen to what I am saying then test drive a Civic and a Mazda 3 in addition to the Corolla and you might want to do some sharp steering tests. It's very simple and the salesman riding with you absolutely should not mind whatsoever. For the steering test pull sharply into a parking lot and then turn sharply to steer the car quickly into a parking spot. See if the Corolla can even do that. I'm talking about making sharp quick turns not slow metoculous turns like you might see an 80 year old make. You can drive like that as well in a car than handles well if that suits your fancy but you will also have the option of accurate maneuverability when needed. You will not have this option on a car that handles poorly. Do 2 or 3 sharp steering maneuverability tests with each car. Notice how each car responds to your steering. I'm not telling anyone to do this but you might want to go on the highway and see if you can hold the steering wheel with one hand and keep the car moving straight and true for 3 to 5 miles without a lot of effort. I just did this on my test drive of the Civic and Mazda 3. See if this is comfortable on the Corolla compared to the Civic and Mazda 3. Remember that test driving a car than handles poorly and being stuck with one every single day and having to rely on using it as your sole transportation are two different things. Take note of how much work is involved in steering the Corolla relative to the Civic and Mazda 3. Notice the lack of steering feel in the Corolla versus the Civic and Mazda 3. Notice how wobbly and wierd the steering on the Corolla is relative to the Civic or Mazda 3. Listening to a dissatisfied customer and someone who sounds like a customer service rep for Toyota arguing over this issue goes only so far. I want people to be aware of the issues and characteristics relative to electric power steering and to be aware of alternative vehicles that put the Corolla to shame in terms of handling. Switching to EPS saves the companies switching to them tens and or hundreds of millions of dollars. This is what is behind EPS. It's not a neat new nifty invention that is good for the consumer. All that no belts and hoses crap and no parasitic losses crap. Ill take the belts and hoses and the parasitic loss. They manufacture these EPS systems cheaply off an assembly line and they are cheap to install in the cars. It is easy for anyone to do some side by side comparisons and see just how badly cars with electric steering handle on the road and I would urge anyone considering purchasing a car with EPS to do so. You are going to be stuck with it after you buy it, so you owe it to yourself. i'm not telling anyone what to do but the advice I have just given about what you might want to do is from the heart.
    My 2009 Corolla does not act or react anything like you describe ! ! ! !
    I had to do some commuting yesterday and I will reconfirm that my2009 Corolla with EPS is the worst handling and driving car that I have ever owned. Rotten piece of junk and I would highly recommend that folks seriously reconsider before buying a Corolla with EPS.
    Biff,
    Just call Toyota's customer experience line, and ask them to set you up with the new Computer unit module for the EPS. The 2008-2010 EPS systems are defective.and need replacing but the EPS replacement has to come from them.
    It's not just an issue of the car "veering". I almost never take it on the highway. It isd an issue of not being able to make sharp turns. It's the feeling of driving in a car with low tires. Extremely poor handling aside fro any "veering". I am about to sell the thing and buy a Mazda 3 within the next 2 weeks unless I can find a civic for the right price. There is no fix to make the Corolla with EPS handle well. Do you think there is? I know there is not. The car is an absolute chore to drive. This car was not designed to drive well it was designed to be cheap for the manufacturer. Period.
    OMG, we know how you feel already!
    edited August 2010
    Love mine! Would recommend it to anyone thinking of buying a reliable, safe economical car to drive.
    edited August 2010
    Ultra cheap electric steering in a car that handles extremely poorly on the road. I would highly recommend that prospective buyers be aware of how badly the corolla with EPS handles on the road. You will fight the steering wheel to make turns. Very poor quality ride. Be aware of the alternatives to the corolla with EPS such as the Mazda 3 or Honda Civic. It's worth spending a little bit more to get a much better car.Do a side by side test drive with the other cars and take particular note of how bad the Corolla handles relative to the Civic ans Mazda 3. Your going to be stuck with the car you buy. The steering on the new Corolla with EPS is plain awful and dangerous.
    :lemon: You got a lemon :lemon:
    and here I go............

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Toyota-recalls-11-million-apf-545927926.html?x=0 :mad: :P :cry: :sick: :confuse:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    This is completely off-topic. Why post this here?

To save a lot of people trouble who came to the forum to talk about current-gen Corolla's EPS, this article is actually about the last generation Corolla and a problem with an engine computer.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Ok, so I dropped the car off at the dealer yesterday to have them fix my steering issue, applying the latest TSB fix for the ECU. Long story short - it worked. My steering is drastically different and the wandering is gone. I drove it on the interstate today and varying speeds over the same road where the "wandering" was most noticeable, and it's been eliminated completely. I'm pleased.

They were not able to recreate the "surging" I complained about - I'm not surprised. I believe unless you are riding with the mech, feel it and then point it out, they're going to say they didn't notice anything. They made note of it and I told them I would be back in on a day off and do a ride along with the tech and they were most willing to go that route. I'll report back when I have done that.
    Z
    edited August 2010
    Everyone talks about the veering. Im not talking about any veering. I'm not talking about any wandering on the highway. I'm talking about poor road handling aside from wandering. Did you ever have any other problems with the car other than "wandering on the highway? I'm talking about this car does not make sharp turns. This car is exhausting to drive in off highway city traffic. Weird wobbly wonky stereing with no road feel. Manually having to recenter the steering wheel after making a turn and especially bad when parking. I went out and test drove a Civic and Mazda 3 and the Corolla did not even come close to maneuvering like those cars did. I mean completely different animals type of difference in maneuverability. The Civic and Mazda 3 drove like what I call "normal cars". The kind i have always driven. I'm not talking about any "veering" or "wandering". I am talking about extremely poor road handling resulting in a car that is absolutely exhausting to drive in which you do a lot of the work yourself that those old cars with normal power steering used to do for you. The electric steeing feels completely unnatural. It is a design characteristic of the steering system itself. There is no "fix" for that. Did you ever notice anything wrong with this car other than the "wandering"?
    Weird wobbly wonky stereing with no road feel.

Toyota: Oh, what a no feeling!? ;)

That's how most Toyota's handle. They're isolated, cushy cars with very limited handling capabilities and no pretense of being fun to drive. Lots of people like a rolling appliance, though.
    edited August 2010
    I never drove a Corolla prior to 2009 when the ultra cheap electric steering began being popped in under the hood but I suspect they drove like normal cars. Toyota is making hundreds of millions of dollars in additional profits from switching to this absolutely atrocious steering. The cars are extremely uncomfortable to drive. You feel as though you are fighting the car to maneuver it. It is not that easy to steer at low or high speeds. This whole idea that you have one finger steering is bologna. The civic has one finger steering and good handling. The Ford fusion does as well. One finger steering but good handling and road feel. The Corolla does not steer easily at any speed or with one finger. It's harder than that and it feels completely unnatural. Sh#& face liar Jim Lentz and the rest of the gang are rolling added profits in. Toyota is a crap company and I will never buy another one of their very bad vehicles and would strongly discourage all my friends and family from buying Toyota vehicles. They cheated a lot of people who bought these cars based on reputation and ended up getting pieces of junk. I hope they suffer severely for it.
    I think your standards are a bit high for a $15K car - it's not a sports car. It's an economical car with standard steering (at best). It's not a performance car...you have to manuver it a bit. My complaint was the wandering - the NHTSA has recorded complaints from consumers like myself and all the complaints are consistent. I merely complained, got response from NHTSA with the TSB #, took it to Toyota, they applied the fix, and it has improved the steering dramatically. I had a Porsche 911 and it doesn't drive like a 911 - it drives (now) like I would have expected from a 4-dr, $15K sedan - nothing more. Would I buy another? Probably not...in time, I'll probably get something else and then move on, leaving the Corolla behind and forgetting about it. I have an E class MB to replace the 911...and no, it doesn't drive like an E class either.

The car clearly is not for you. Why not move on to something else which handles the way you expect, and discontinue the constant boring complaints ad naseum? You'll be much happier doing it.
    Z
    edited August 2010
    I have driven nothing but economy cars my entire life. Electric Steering is a whole new ball game so to speak when it comes to road handling. I have driven many economy cars as well as other cars in my 23 years of driving. My dissatisfaction with this car does not stem from some sort of unrealistic expectations. It stems from a funky new ultra cheap steering system unlike anything I have experienced in the past that has a tremendously negative impact on a drivers ability to control the car. I have had no complaints about any of the cheap cars I have owned in the past. "Standard Steering" you say? This steering is not what I call standard. It is like driving a remote controlled car from the inside out. This steering is funky and wonky and a very bad and very modern solution to car companies increasing their profits.

The Corolla does not even feel like a car to me. It;s like a hunk of metal with four rubber tires and a cheap electric electric steering system that barely allows the driver to maneuver the thing. A car is something you drive. The new Corolla with EPS is something you drag around. '

This car is not something I would expect for 15 thousand dollars. This is the most expensive car I have owned up to date and by far and wide the worst driving. I mean by a margin as wide as the distance between the earth and the moon.

I cannot afford to buy a new car at this instant. If i could I would. There is something fundamentally wrong with the electric steering in these cars.
    I'm glad to see this pekelvr. I hope Toyota keeps getting it. I hope they hurt bad. They deserve it. Don't buy any Toyota vehicles, they suck, pass it down.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    One thought is to buy a slightly used car, still under warranty, maybe Certified, that steers the way you like. Try doing an even-up trade for your Corolla with the dealer, just pay the tags and fees. (I did that last November on a trade, worked slick.) For example, the Focus doesn't have EPS, and the Rabbit and Jetta have it but have a better steering feel than the Corolla IMO. Then you can forget about the Corolla and drive happy.
    Thanks for the suggestion Backy. Seriously I do appreciate. I'm going to go ahead and work out a new car ewithin the next two or so weeks. I do not like the Focus. It's going to be Civic or Mazda 3 or possibly Mitsibishi Lancer. not sure about the last one though.
  • jersey027jersey027 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2010 corolla s model, i have had my car in for the 4th recall mostly the gas pedal and matts but my main complaint is the EPS steering. I had my car to the service dept 4 times for the steering as it is very hard to keep straight and from wandering as it feels like everyday is a wind storm. As to your car being good for you maybe it is but mine and few others i drove are the same they all are very hard and exausting to drive on any road condition. I will get my car through the lemon law i have a hearing soon Sept 22nd. Toyota will prob go out of buss if this car is deemed unsafe for the public to drive. One final thing also, terceltom: the value on these Toyotas are falling like time bombs because all the saftey related news on tv, internet and magazines. Get out of the car before its worth zero. I will not let anyone in my family in this car because its very unsafe. Toyota knew about these problems far before they were noticed by the public. I will never by another Toyota as there company has lost all there quality as it once had. I still cant believe im writing negative things about toyota and i have owned 6 Toyota vehicles over the last 22 years of driving and my last one was a 1999 Toyota tacoma extra cab v6 trd spd drove it up to 167,800 miles, my friend still has it with over 200k. These new Toyotas will never last.
    Did you get the new EPS module? I don't see any where in your post that you called the "Toyota Experience Center" and asked them to contact your dealer so they can arrange to replace your car's EPS module or computer module. I don't think you need to tell people to get out of the car because of the falling values. I know that 1st hand. Its a losing situation if you try to trade your car in right now at this time. Oh so you know Ford and Chevy just had recalls on their cars. The economy is contributing to the safety factor in the car making industry. People cut corners on parts and labor and THAT's why these cars are all in recalls...
    I'm sorry your one of those that got a "lemon" as you put it. All I keep repeating is some of you that have this EPS problem seem to think this is problem effecting ALL of the newest generation of Corollas, and it is not. There are many of us that have no problem with the steering whatsoever and just love our Corollas. Don't lump us in with you! I hope you get a resolution to your problem ASAP.
    I think there are two sets of people complaining here.

1.) People who truly have faulty EPS.

2.) People who don't have faulty EPS but dislike how Toyotas handle.

Group number two, I understand you. I've yet to drive a Toyota that felt connected to the road (the '07 Camry SE I drove came closest). Most have a video-gamey numbness to them that can either be viewed as "isolated" or "poor-handling." I think of it as both; smooth to drive, but horrible when it comes to feeling buttoned-down, connected, visceral, or heaven-forbid -- fun to drive.

For those of you who are likely in group 2, you never should've bought the Toyota in the first place; there's a Civic, 3, or all-new Focus with your name on it.
    Yes you seem to do lots of trolling and repeating and seem to be excessively and suspiciously concerned with Toyota's public image and engaging in apologetics on behalf of the Toyota corporation.
    The new Corollas with EPS are crap cars period. I don't care if someone is number one or number two. I am amazed that a car that drives and handles this badly is actually being manufactured and sold to the public. Basic maneuverability is severely limited with the EPS.
    edited September 2010
    Awful car isn't it. I made the huge mistake of buying on too. Doesn't even feel like a real car does it? Can't make sharp turns or maneuver. Car won't stay straight and true in its lane on straight roads or highways. Loose wobbly steering at low speeds. Utterly Godawful and atrocious road handling way beyong what I would call the "norm". Basic maneuvering of the car is serverely limited. Exhausing to drive around town. I understand. I wish this car purchase had gone better for you as I wish for myself. FYI I believe there are a couple of regular trolls on this message board affiliated with Toyota.
    The handling on these cars with EPS goes way beyond what I call acceptable. Toyota corporation came out and made a staterment that sounded something similar to what you just said. Something to the effect of "We at Toyota corporation have deemed the effect of electrically assisted power steering on road handling not to be a safety issue but one of driver preference". They are crap cars made by a greedy and careless corporation.
  • dantzdantz Member Posts: 49
    I just returned to this board after a break of several-months, and I discovered to my dismay that I had to wade through large numbers of your near-identical posts (which in my opinion aren't even really on topic). Please stop already! You've already established your main points quite well, yet you continue to hammer away at them over and over and over. Your posts are becoming very spam-like. I think the only way you're going to be able to move on and get past all of this dissatisfaction is to get rid of your current vehicle and buy yourself a decent replacement car, and the sooner the better!

Speaking of which, I want to warn you about the Honda Civic. I drive a 2008 5-spd automatic Civic LX. It's a great handling car, far better than the Corolla in that respect, but be aware that the engine produces relatively little torque in the lower RPMs. In other words, you can't just step on it and accelerate. Even in an ordinary passing situation you'll find yourself downshifting and revving to get into the power band. I've gotten used to it by now, but I'm still aware of what I'm missing. Since you mentioned that you were considering getting a Mazda 3 because it had the option for a larger engine (see, I did read through all your posts), you obviously prefer a car with a bit more "oomph", and I think the Mazda 3 might be more your ticket. Otherwise you might just find yourself on the Honda boards posting about the Civic's lack of torque.
    I will keep that in mind when purchasing my new car.

There are some folks in this thread that act like professional apologists for Toyota who debate anyone with anything negative to say about Toyota or the Corolla and they seem to repeat what I believe to be lies about cars that I don't even necessarily believe that they even own. I'll admit my posts have been much larger and repeats of one another but at least I'm honest in my intentions. I sincerely hope I can get the message across to some folks and help them not to make the same mistake that I made.

I don't like seeing suspicious people posting things that I know to be not true for the express purpose of deceiving people then telling me theres no way I can know. .
  • smallcar1smallcar1 Member Posts: 76
    There seems to be a bias against people that don't value handling above all else. I prefer a car that rides smoothly and handles decently. The Mazda 3 handles excellently but on NYC streets the ride was very bumpy and the Mazda's seats were extremely uncomfortable.

I would have bought a Corolla if its steering and brakes were average. I don't expect it to be a sports car but a Civic or an Elantra steer perfectly fine and they are not sports cars. There are those of us who just want to drive normally, feel some road feedback and not have to adjust the steering every second.
    First off, I resent that you would call anyone that don't agrees withb you a liar and disbelieve that they even own Corollas. I not only own one, but I own three Corollas. I said it multiple times I LOVE MY 2009 COROLLA and have not experienced any problems whatsoever. I will continue to rtepeat my oppinion of the new generation of Corollas just as you have been speaking of fabricated handling problems for weeks. You want a Mazda, go get one, and leave us to judge our own new generation of Corollas. Why don't you spend some time on the Mazda threads?
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    No issues here either Terceltom give it some time in a month or so the posts will go away from certain people. I have seen many come and go they pop in shoot posts one after another then gone never to be seen but some old posts. Take a look back a year or so you will find them. ;)
    YES I have!!! I don't really understand why people go on this type of thread and then bash people who have genuine concerns and negatively comment on other people who have had the same problem and some who have received help from Toyota like me. Facts are facts therefore they are not subject to persons who want to make claims that people are being untruthful.

Fact 1: Toyota has admitted (finally!) they have made errors in 3 areas for this generation of Toyotas. Those areas being the brake system including the mats, the engines and lastly the Electronic Power Steering.

Fact 2: Toyota has responded by recalling certain vehicles whether or not the owners have complained is irrelevant. Toyota knows their is risk for these cars and those who ride in them.

Fact 3: I owned a 2008 Toyota Corolla S (sport model) and I traded it in for a 2010 out of desperately trying not die in the 2008 model because it was "drifting" "meandering" "blowing" "all of the road" "not centered" and constantly having to correct the steering etc....

Fact 4: I did test drive both but the 2008 model I only tested on regular streets and due to the poor experience I test drove the 2010 model on the highway for about 10 minutes. Both cars had the same problem. ***side note, the 2008 Corolla was considered a used car because it was traded in by the previous owner at about 200 miles. I should have seen the red flag because of that but I didn't.

Fact 5: I took both of the cars back to the dealer after briefly owning them because of the steering issues specifically. Both times the repair technicians found and validated the cars had issues with the steering as I had experienced. Their response for which I have the copies of the repair form, state the problem was the steering and that the dealerships is waiting for "the fix" (their words) to come down from Toyota manufacturing. Another quote was "more than likely Toyota will recall all the Corollas from 2008 to the present to check the EPS modules because their is a defect."

Fact 6: I received a letter in the mail from Toyota explain the brake and mat recall and giving me directions on how to get my repair. I then called Toyota and explained to them that this was not my issue but that the steering was. I was very angry and asked who and how to file a formal complaint and that I thought I would seek legal representation. I also told the rep that I wanted my name and my "experience" noted some where so that if I were to die in the car Toyota couldn't make the claim that they were not made aware of my issue with the steering. Did I say things loudly? Yes! Did I let them know that I was being serious? Oh yes! and did they then listen to me? Most definitely!

Fact 7: Toyota on that day apologized, they acknowledged that they knew the steering had problems and that they did have the fix which was a correction in the computer but to repair it they would replace the computer box aka module all together. Then the rep got my dealership information and promised that following Monday I would be contacted back by her with my appointment information and procedures to get the car fixed.

Fact 8: She kept her word and that following week I had my appointment. They took the car for the entire day, they offered a loaner but I declined as I didn't need one.

Fact 9: They explained to me after they repaired the car all that took place to repair the car which included a precision alignment after they replaced the module.

Fact 10: I am very happy with my Corolla, Yes! I would by another one!! I would recommend the car to anyone looking for a great car. The only bell(s) I would add to my car is a multi disk cd changer and multimedia outlets beside the 2nd lighter socket. I think USB ports should be added as part of the electronics. Car makers should think about the end user more in these times. A lot of us travel for work and use things like laptops, ipods, cameras, cell phones, and all of these things require ports and charging.

So my final thought is that I think people found this thread and other threads because they had problems with their cars and wanted to see if others did too or to see if there was way or suggestions on how to fix the problems. I think its rude for anyone to come on here and bash people or call people liars or anything that just isn't helpful. Like old adage goes "If :blush::blush: you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all"
    I have every right to criticize the new Corolla for being exactly what it is. An extremely cheap piece of junk with a very cheap and very badly performing new steering system. I will continue to express my opinions about what I see as being an effort by Toyota to increase their profits at the expense of consumers. Consumers have a right to know how badly these cars handle on the road, period. Someone would get a vey wrong impression from listening to you. As I said before what your motivations are for trolling these boards acting like an apologist are, I dont know. There are a couple on this thread and I'm sure you guys frequent otherthreads as well and other message boards who smell fishy to me. Your the ones who keep insisting that you would recommend this wonderful car to friends and family. Some friend you would be.
    I can tell for certain sometimes when someone is not being honest. When something has certain design characteristics and those charactreistics make it a certain way and that certain way isnt very good. Someone comes along and makes a public statement and tells people that whatever it is in question that possesses these negative characteristics, that are well established to exist and are unfixable, that the item is in question is great and they say things that run contrary to the design characteristics themselves of what is in question. I know they are lying. Other folks that haven't been following along that might pop onto one of these message boards real fast might not realize it, but I do.
    The problem is you speak like your talking about facts. What you are saying is but a mere opinion and not a "fact" therefore when you are criticized put your big person panties on and be ready to take the criticism of you and not your plight.

I HAD a Corolla with poor handling and I was able to get the unadvertised fix of the module and thus I came to the site to report that there is a fix. Have you taken your Toyota in and asked for the new module? Have you called Toyota's experience hotline and told them about your problems? Have you demanded Toyota to test drive your car? Have you gone to NHTSA and reported your problems? You my dear sound like you work for another car dealership who is on a site bad mouthing Toyota simply because you see their problems on TV and you're trying to exploit it. I for one do not trust your words because you don't speak about your car, all you do is bad mouth the company!!

So therefore, I will add this final thought....I think that you are a person with too much time on your hands to come to a discussion and not speak about your specific car or the problems its having. You havent said whether or not you have dealt with Toyota directly. Others here have! and some of us have gotten the repairs and would recommend a Toyota to another person. I know I would! Since having gotten repaired I'm satisfied with my Corolla....hope to get a Facebook ad myself about my Toyota experience! :)
    See the difference between you and I is that I accept your negative opinion of the Corolla. You on the other hand call other posters that don't agree with you "liars". Kind of like; "I'm going to take my ball and go home" if you don't agree with me. State your case and move on. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I really like the new Toyota Corolla, accept this as I accept that you can't stand the new Corolla. I'm a bigger person then you, I would never assume that anyone posting on this thread is a "liar" as you have said.
    You my dear listed a bunch of so called facts that are by no means documented and therefore I do not recognize them as facts.

As far as me working for some other dealership. I'm pretty sure you understand that not to be true. I recommended in a former post that people do a side by side comparison of the Corolla with the Civic and the Mazda 3. I recommended that folks considering a Corolla do a test drive of all 3 cars and test the handling capabilities and see if the Corolla is not as I say that it is.

As far as a so called "fix" is concerned. There is no way to "fix" or make a car with the variable assist column mounted electric steering that Toyota is putting in their Corollas handle well and have a nice natural feel to it while driving. The design characteristics of the steering system itself do not allow for it. Theres no way to change that. You can harp all day about some unadvertised fix and it's not going to make the car handle like a good rack and pinion hydraulic assist steering system or even remotely close to it. All anyone has to do is be somewhat familiar with the electric steering system itself and have some firsthand experience driving one of these cars to wonder how anyone could possibly think that these cars drive and handle well. It's very easy to say that it is an opinion. Whether or not a car handles well on the road or not doesn't seem to me to be an issue of opinion. If steering output is accurate relative to input and there is a consistent relationship between both of these the car has the potential to handle well. The electric steering in the Corolla is not designed to have a consistent relationship between output and input. But let me guess yours drives great and you would recommend it to friends and family right? And by golly how dare I say that I know how your Corollas drive. Right? I know how they are designed to drive.

As far as being mad and hating Toyota. Yes to both even though ultimately it was my stupid fault for buying this piece of crap. I was ignorant about electric steering.
    Toyota is sticking these crappy steering systems into cars to increase its profits and so very many consumers are ignorant about electric steering much like I was.

I contacted Toyota dn the dealership several times and there is and was nothing else that I wanted but to sell the car or have it bought back. I was and am not interested in a Toyota customer service experience. Yes some of you appear to me to be fishy sounding gameplayers that troll message boards and debate and argue with people such as myself who seem to have a negative opinion of Toyota and/or Toyota vehicles. I can say wth all honesty that I wish my buying experience with Toyota had been better..
    Have to disagree w/you on the TSB which provides the "fix." I had them install the device and the car drove like it should - the "fix" did work. Regardless, I was unhappy with the Corolla in general and believe the quality of their product (the 2010) is not what the car used to be. It's gone - I traded it and have moved on. I'm happy with what I got - you should consider doing the same - you'll be happier...leave it behind. It isn't worth the aggravation, especially with how things are today - worry, complain and be bitter about more important things.
    Z
    edited September 2010
    You appear to be for real Zekeman and I agree about needing to move on. Getting to the point in which i can sell this thing and move on is coming. It's just happening a little too slow for my taste.

One thing I will say is that I do not believe,and I know no one said this, that after the so called "fix" that the Corolla is going to drive like a good hydraulic assist rack and pinion steering system like the Honda Civic or Mazda 3 or even close. The "fix" may fix the veering problem but theres a whole bunch of other problems with this car and its ability to handle the road.

I literally do not drive this car like I would normally drive what I call a "normal" car. That's why I've come here and complained so much about it. There is no going out on friday and saturday night. Driving back home after that in this thing with steering that feels completely unnatural is really nervewracking. There is so much extra work involved with attempting to maneuver this car than my last car or any other that I have owned. It is the only transportation I have and I absolutely dread having to drive it. Driving used to feel completely natural to me as well. I had no trouble being perfectly at ease on the road in any sort of road conditions. My Corolla is what I call a limited usage vehicle.I use it only for the most necessary things in life when I absolutely have to. This is certainly not what I wanted to end up with. I wanted a car that would make life easy and that I would enjoy. I wish I had a second car to drive in the meantime. When I traded my other car in and bought this thing I immediately began intensely hating this car. Frustration ended up leading to anger. It has been rather frustrating to be stuck with this thing.
  • sjareasjarea Member Posts: 49
    Finally, after some personal delays, I was able to get my 2010 back to the dealer yesterday for the ESP fix. I'll be back in a week or two once I get a chance to drive it and post and update.
    You will see it is improved. Did they check and give you a copy before and after specs for your alignment? They gave me a copy and it was all red and out of whack. :)