Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Electric-Assist Power Steering (EPS)

amg1099amg1099 Member Posts: 14
I have a 2009 Corolla and I have been having problems with the steering. On highway speed, I feel that the steering wheel suddenly pulls to the right or left but more so to the right and it scares the heck out of me. I have taken it to the car dealership and the mechanic said that there's nothing wrong with it. How can he say there's nothing wrong with it when he only drove it for 7 miles back and forth? I have seen several complaints on the nhtsa.gov website and they all say the same thing. What is going on? I don't feel safe driving the car and I only have it for about 3 weeks now. Please help.

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    There has been many post on other threads concerning this phenominum. Rather than me going into a detailed explanation may I suggest visiting some of the other 2009 Corolla threads and you will find more than a sufficient amount of information to digest. There are some new Corolla owners like yourself that seem to feel this is a problem with the new electronic power steering. And then there are those that say it's just a matter of getting used to the new EPS. And then there are the majority, like myself, that actually find the new EPS a great new feature to the car and don't find the new EPS a problem at all. Just a note though, your car will naturally want to pull slightly to the side of the highway you on or lane your driving in due to the natural grading of the road. To explain, the road is not flat as most will think. To allow for drainage all roads are actually crowned shape to allow for the water to roll to each side. So if on the right side or right lane your car will want to pull slightly to the right because it's lower then the center or left wheel. And if your on the left side or left lane your car will want to pull slightly to the left because it's lower then the center or right wheel. This could be more evident with a car like the new Corolla with the very ease of the new EPS steering. Next time you on the highway see if this is how your car is reacting to the specific lane or side your driving on.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I think with all the interest in the EPS, it's fine to have a separate topic for it. Let's invite others here to discuss it.
  • denvecsrdenvecsr Member Posts: 40
    My 2009 Corolla has almost 12,000 miles. Some will tell you it's something you have to get used to. Not true at all. With my 38 years of driving experience I can truly tell you it's a major problem that Toyota must address soon or there will be accidents because of their EPS. Hopefully not too many casualties but large law suits that Toyota will have to pay and they will have to make changes to the EPS. Big corporations like Toyota only react to one thing, MONEY. I have driven almost every kind of vehicle made. I have been a New York City (Manhattan) yellow cab driver, sanitation worker, tracter-trailer operator, school bus driver, limo driver, auto body shop driver. You name it, I have driven it. The EPS is fine for very short distances. Try to stay straight for more than a few miles on the highway you're in trouble. You are all over the road. This has been my second round trip ride from NY to Southwest, Florida. 1350 miles one way. Very tedious and tiresome to hold the wheel straight. Many times getting to close to other vehicles in nearby lanes. Of course like many of you, bringing it back to Toyota only to be told there is nothing wrong. How many accidents or causalities (God for bid) will it take so Toyota will act on this problem they have.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    And then there are those that say it's just a matter of getting used to the new EPS.

Personally, I don't feel like I should have to adjust to get used to something that is drastically different (in a way that is a step BACKWARDS from Corollas past) from most other vehicles on the road, considering it is at least as expensive as its competitors, and often-times costs more when comparably equipped. If it was improved in handling and people were getting used to having more feel or sharper steering that'd be one thing, but this is reduced feel, reduced accuracy, and reduced confidence on the road. With such light steering, it has apparently become much more likely to get caught in road grooves or be pulled by the grade of the pavement to the left or right, and doesn't track as confidently as the previous model, or its competitors.

Just a note though, your car will naturally want to pull slightly to the side of the highway you on or lane your driving in due to the natural grading of the road. To explain, the road is not flat as most will think. To allow for drainage all roads are actually crowned shape to allow for the water to roll to each side. So if on the right side or right lane your car will want to pull slightly to the right because it's lower then the center or left wheel. And if your on the left side or left lane your car will want to pull slightly to the left because it's lower then the center or right wheel. This could be more evident with a car like the new Corolla with the very ease of the new EPS steering. Next time you on the highway see if this is how your car is reacting to the specific lane or side your driving on.

Sounds like someone's making excuses for Toyota. All the other systems out there manage to be light enough for gentle parking lot maneuvers (my 74 year old grandmother drives a Civic to the beauty shop weekly, so its certainly plenty light), but have feel, accuracy, and manage not to be thrown around the road like so many owners are complaining about. Sure, you can steer it with your pinky finger (assuming you aren't having to correct for the pull of the road), but then again, I don't consider that "driving." :) That's being a passenger in your own car.

I understand Toyota is in the business of selling cars, and it is selling Corollas just fine. Toyota also understand what its customers want (to be as isolated and coddled as possible). Every Toyota model emphasizes that by having little road feel, light steering, generally mushy brakes, and overly-lethargic throttle tip-in. To me, they've gone to far with this one though. The 03-08 Corolla rode nicely, had numb but better-weighted steering, and at least it didn't wander down the highway.
    I never had to get used to the steering, I liked it and never found it to be, or referred to it as a problem like some others do. Could it be that your used to driving older heavier vehicles as you describe and finding adjusting to the new technology difficult? Where in the world are you getting statistics that say this EPS is causing accidents or casualties? Please forward those statistics. I can however believe that it is tiring driving 1350 miles at a shot and trying to keep the vehicle straight while doing so. I would certainly find that a road hazard with any vehicle with or without EPS.
    Personally, I don't feel like I should have to adjust to get used to something that is drastically different
    Only some Corolla owners might need to adjust to this new technology, others will not and neither will non-Corolla owners, right?

reduced accuracy, and reduced confidence on the road.
    totally disagree, the steering of the new Corolla is more accurate then ever before. There are many ladies that post here that find themselves very confident with their new Corolla.

With such light steering, it has apparently become much more likely to get caught in road grooves or be pulled by the grade of the pavement to the left or right
    Now when I said that it will pull to the grade in the road you said I was just making excuses for Toyota, all cars with quality, light feel steering will pull to the grade of the road.

Every Toyota model emphasizes that by having little road feel, light steering, generally mushy brakes, and overly-lethargic throttle tip-in.
    Totally untrue, Toyota never emphasized they had any of the above. Why would they, that would be like cutting their own throats. Toyota quality and reliability speaks for itself and sells itself. That's why they're consistently in the top two in sales with their Corolla.
  • amg1099amg1099 Member Posts: 14
    Hey tercelton, do you happen to work for Toyota? I don't mean to insinuate but you sound like you do. But anyways, yes, I don't think I should get used to the feeling of being dragged from left or right no matter where I am on the road. My old car never had a problem about this, even though it didn't have EPS. It was a honda civic. I mean I had power steering in that car but never had this problem. With it being 2009, it should drive better than the other cars. I really don't understand the fact that people have voiced in their concerns about this issue yet Toyota has done nothing to ease or alleviate these people's concerns, including mine. I have emailed the toyota corporation and have forwarded the complaints from the nhtsa.gov and a case manager will contact me on Friday, hoping that they have something for me to offer, hopefully to fix it. Sure you like your car with the EPS but you are not physically riding my car nor these people who have these complaints...no offense. If only I could have you drive my car and feel for yourself, that would be dandy. And when the dealership/mechanic tested my car, he only drove for 7 miles? I mean come on, how can you test and diagnose the problem when you only drove the car that far? These dragging feeling doesn't occur every so often...it happens gradually, on the course of driving on the road for a good 45 to 1 hour. I dont know, but there has to be some way for Toyota to make this steering a little bit less sensitive. I've seen from the other post that someone had theirs fixed by saying, "The EPS Power Steering just had to be centered (via reloading data in the steering wheel). What do you think about this? Others have said that they got it fix, "Some others just put a switch to turn of power steering at speeds over 60 mph." What are these? Care to explain further? Why can't Toyota check it more carefully?

If anyone ever got theirs fixed, please let me know ASAP.

Thanks.
    Could it be that your used to driving older heavier vehicles as you describe and finding adjusting to the new technology difficult?

Older, yes. Heavier? Nope. Depending on the model, some version of the Corolla actually weigh more than my daily-driver Accord. The Corolla is the heavier one.

And, you've used the new technology bit pretty often. In my driveway is a 2006 Accord which has DBW technology, technologically advanced engine mounts, Electronic Brakeforce Distribution, and a large number of electronic devices and advances over older models. None of them take away from the driving experiences though. I've put 46k miles on it, and haven't had to "adjust" to anything. It was made so as not to make people question the way it drove, meaning it actually HAD some steering feel, and wasn't overly light and disconnected feeling.

All "new technology" isn't necessarily good, especially when implemented and tuned in a way which I deem unsatisfactory. As I've stated, Toyota isn't the only company using EPS, but it sure has the absolute worst example of it I've experienced.
    To all that care, no I don't work for Toyota. I just can't stand some people that come on here to continually swear how much they can't stand the new Toyota Corolla when they don't even own a Toyota. How can they be such a critic? Then when those of us that say how much we like the new car AND it's new steering we are said to be Toyota employees. That's so funny! Perhaps the Toyota dealer and those of us that like the steering and car are telling you the truth and maybe it is indeed supposed to be that easy to steer and maybe you do need to just get adjusted to it? You know there are hundreds of thousands of new 2009 Toyota Corolla owners out there do LIKE it as it is and that is why we purchased the car. Maybe the rest of you didn't take the time to test drive your car long enough to see if you liked the drive of it.
    Anyway, some are saying that they can go into the computer and do something that would do away with the EPS or at the very least make it so you can turn it off and on. Maybe somebody can give you some more info. on this. I do think it was mentioned on another Toyota thread. I hope you get your car to work the way you want it to. Good Luck with your purchase. Nobody should be as unhappy as when they have spent almost 20 K on a new car and are now disappointed with it.
    To all that care, no I don't work for Toyota. I just can't stand some people that come on here to continually swear how much they can't stand the new Toyota Corolla when they don't even own a Toyota. How can they be such a critic?

One test drive is plenty for me to know I shouldn't buy the car. Most people never make it to signing on the dotted line for something that they hate driving. Has that not crossed your mind?
    I have contacted the Toyota corporation..everyone who is having problems with this should contact them. I hope they can help me...perhaps I will try to drive a different car and see if it has the same problem.
    What was the Toyota reps. response?
    Well, when I took it to the 2nd car dealership (service), he said that they didn't find anything wrong with the car. The mechanic coudln't duplicate what I experienced driving the car due to the fact that he (due to regulations) can't drive my car for more than 60 MPH. Kinda sucks because that's when I experience this drift. The case manager I have from the toyota corp will try to get in touch with me sometime Tuesday to discuss some further actions. She will contact Team Toyota to do more testings, i.e, wheel alignment or try to use a different car and see if I experience the same thing. I hope she can help me with this.
    Good luck, I hope everything works out for you. Keep us posted.
  • jcogarjcogar Member Posts: 5
    I like the feel of the steering. But, I like the safety feature the most . With the mech. steering during a accident avoidance where you have to drive sharp to the right and then back to the left. The old style steering had a power steering pump delay... this can cause drivers to over drive the accident avoidance. The vehicle would cross the roadway and hit oncoming vehicles because of this delay. With the new EPS you won't over steer an accident avoidance incident and hit other vehicle. This is a great step in the right direction relating to steering safety to avoid other vehicle. EPS should be standard on all vehicles.
    I agree that EPS is a neat feature, one that is found on many cars today. Unfortunately, not all the systems manage to have the natural steering feel afforded by mechanical systems, Ford's Fusion recently came under fire for having numbed-down steering thanks to its new EPS. Before, the steering of the Fusion was near top of the class.
    Why is the old mechanical steering considered "natural" by you? Was it because it was pre EPS? You can't get more "natural" steering then the new Toyota Corolla ! Perhaps Ford should take note from Toyota on how to make a great EPS steering and maybe they wouldn't be in the shape their in. Besides, who really cares about Ford anyway?
    Natural steering, in its purest form, offers feel, feedback, and weight. Video game systems are the furthest from natural - you don't have a sense of pressure building up as you corner (with higher effort required the faster you are going, to give a sense of where the limits of the car are), no feedback to let you know what the tires are doing... nothing. It's like permanently hydroplaning. You steer, and you'll turn eventually, but you have no sense of the car actually being on the road.

You can't get more "natural" steering then the new Toyota Corolla!

That's quite possibly the funniest thing I've heard today, boss. :shades:

Ford should take note from Toyota on how to make a great EPS steering and maybe they wouldn't be in the shape their in.

Wait... nope. THAT'S the funniest.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I own a car with EPS and it has a great steering feel. It's very light when stopped (e.g. parallel parking) but firms up nicely on the road, providing ample feel and control. It doesn't feel as "direct" as some manual systems I've used, but it does have a pleasingly solid feel that I like. I have a lot of confidence driving the car around corners or whereever.

BTW, it's not a Corolla.
    You know what, "Feel, feedback, and weight" is something I expect to get from my wife but not my car ! Least amount of effort is what I want in my car.
    Good luck to you next time you have a big sneeze, or hit a pothole.

Decades ago, hydraulic power steering systems were very light. There's a reason that, with time, automakers have put some weight back into the steering. I'm glad you've found the Corolla though, it's the ultimate riding machine :) , even with only a driver in the car!
  • gerryagerrya Member Posts: 9
    My 09 corolla is very fatiguing to drive on the highway. I find I'm constantly correcting left/right/left. No on-center feel whatsoever. Very tiring on my 240 km round trip commutes. First I thought it was my snowtires - nope. Crosswinds - nope. Tire pressure - nope. My wife and teenage sons both say the same thing - you have to "drive" the car all the time at highway speeds, anything over about 100 km/h (60 mph). In southern Ontario, typical expressway speeds are 115 to 125 km/h so it's a real concern. Don't notice it at all in town though. Dealer tells me I am the first person to express any concern whatsoever.....

This is my 3rd corolla, put 400,000 km (250,000 mi) each on a 1989 and a 2002, have 20,000 on this one so far. Each one has been bigger, nicer riding and more well equipped, unfortunately they also seem to each get lower in quality and worse in real-world fuel economy.....
    no, you are definitely not alone. many of US feel the way you feel.
    Then there are those of us that just love the new EPS steering in the new 2009 Toyota Corolla.
    Did you dislike the previous Corolla's steering, or have any issues with it whatsoever?
    I didn't dislike it because it was all that was available but it did require more effort to steer and control the car. It's just like I didn't know what I was missing out on until Toyota developed their new E.P.S. steering. The new E.P.S. requires very little effort and controlling the car is a breeze now. Kinda like when hydaulic steering first was introduced. I'm sure those drivers that had it first thought wow ! I didn't know how easy steering could a car could be going from manual to power steering.
    this is not what we are talking about !!!!!! you keep mentioning how easy the steering is with the EPS. it would be easy if the car stayed straight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    but it doesn't. toyota screwed up on this one. anyone that works for toyota should have nothing to say here. A BIG CONFLICT OF INTEREST. who ever does is liable for lawsuits.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Based on that statement so you must be a lawyer what is your field of practice.

MNF
    I am not aware of anyone posting here who works for Toyota, but such a person would certainly be welcome, as is everyone. I'm also not aware that a person working for Toyota posting here would leave him or herself open to lawsuits, nor can I imagine what those lawsuits might charge.

You might be interested in the 2009 Corolla review by the Edmunds' editors. Here is part of the review:

Body roll is decently controlled, but the electric steering on non-XRS models provides so little feedback, you may find yourself making corrections simply to keep the car traveling in a straight line. Toyota retuned this setup for the XRS, and indeed its steering feels crisper and weightier. Driven on a back road, the Corolla XRS is undeniably a capable compact sedan, but compared to rivals like the Mazda 3, Civic and Lancer, it's not a very entertaining one.

In any case, getting back to the discussion at hand - we all need to be careful not to make differences of observations and opinions into personal issues. Let's just talk about the EPS experiences here and not each other.
  • tyhd91tyhd91 Member Posts: 10
    Is the new EPS steering a drastic problem or is it something that you can get used to after a few weeks?

If it is a drastic problem, should I start looking for another vehicle?

and also, what is a good OTD price range for the toyota corolla le sedan?
    Yikes. Didn't mean to crank anyone up with my initial post. Relax, folks!

To clarify: I find my 09 to be effortless to steer around town, a little vague maybe but not too bad. Definitely less effort than my previous 2 corollas. The issue I have could be described as a floating, wandering, aimless sensation when running at real-world expressway speeds - sorta like my long-ago Ford Torino with bald tires and bad shocks. Problem is I commute an hour each way daily at those speeds so it gets tiresome, and I'm not sure I will be able to live with it for hundreds of thousands of kilometers. I'm not saying I expect superb, crisp, agile handling - if that was the case, I'd have bought an Acura....

What I'm looking for is, has anyone had success getting this corrected?
    I would suggest you read the posts in this topic and also in the other 2009 Corolla discussions to see what members have reported about the steering. I would also strongly recommend a comprehensive test drive so you can judge for yourself how it feels to you. And don't miss the review I linked in the post just above yours; that may also be helpful to you.

For pricing assistance, try the Corolla Prices Paid and Buying Experience discussion.

Good luck to you!
    That reply was not directed to you as far as I can tell.

Let's ALL relax and just deal with the topic at hand, which does not include each other.
    I'm sorry you misunderstood me. My response was a direct answer to a question posed to me by "the graduate". Please do not try to guess my occupation as I do not, and never did work for Toyota. I just want to express my personal oppinion of how much I DO LIKE the new 2009 Toyota Corolla Electronic Power Steering and the car in general.
    I highly recommend the new 2009 Toyota Corolla. The quietness is comforting, the ride is smooth, the larger design makes it so close to the all time best seller the Camry. The engine is more than adequate, gas mileage is awesome on the highway(40mpg plus), but less then I expected in the city(25mpg). The steering in my opinion is a great innovation and works wonderfully easy and controlling in my XLE. However, I do second the suggestion my the host Pat, that suggests you do a thorough test drive of not only the Corolla but all vehicles you are considering for purchase. I'm certain you will love it as much as I do.
    Interesting that you own the XLE, in light of the Edmunds' review that Pat posted. It appears that the steering on the XLE is tuned differently than on lesser Corolla trims. Perhaps that accounts for your positive experience with the Corolla's EPS while others have complaints?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Just to clarify, Edmunds is taking about an XRS (doesn't have EPS). Terceltom has an XLE with EPS.
    You know with all of the negatives I have read about the EPS I often thought exactly that, why are all of these people having these problems and I'm not ? The thought has often crossed my mined that my car might be tuned differently then some of the other trim lines. The article does refer to the XRS but who knows perhaps mine is also different. During test drives I only test drove XLE's so that wouldn't help me identify the problem lines.
    Oh right, got my letters mixed up. Thanks.
  • bubarubbubarub Member Posts: 1
    I might be repeating whats been said by some on here, but I was like some of the people who think the EPS is faulty. I previously drove a '01 chevy silverado lifted 6" 4x4 and the ride was really crappy on highways a.k.a the problem known as "bed bounce." Anyways, i bought a '09 corolla about a month ago and first ride on highway during test drive was a dream. A couple days past and i took it on a different freeway in my town and thats when i discovered this scary phenomenon with the steering. This freeway is much older and has grooves from semi's, cars, etc and the wheel base of the corolla is exactly the width of the ruts in the road. Its comparable to dirt bike ruts, or snowboarding ruts, etc. It really sucks and I thought my car was messed up like some people on here. To those having problems just take it on a different freeway and you'll see its just certain stretches of highway that are crappy and cause this weird problem.

I agree that it can be fatiguing keeping the corolla on the road during extended drives the steering has no "dead zone" like hydraulic, (i have no idea im just guessing lol.) if its really that tiring you should try driving a lifted truck with 35's.... just change ur hand position on the wheel often on extended trips and it will help a lot.

I think toyota should look at implementing a little leeway in the straight position( maybe the electric motor has a arresting device/less sensitive when in straight driving position give or take 2-3 degrees or so from middle position above 60 mph or highway speeds?!) Im just worried ill get pulled over for swerving and a cop thinkin im drunk or something. It isnt faulty imo it is just a real hassle, this car is perfect other than this little hiccup. It's almost better to just rest ur hands on the steering wheel, for example, (in my experience, like resting arms on lap and just holding on with index finger and thumb) and just fix your position in the lane rather than steer it like normal, if that makes any sense lol.

I would be willing to pay like maximum 100-200 bucks if they could come up with a good fix for it. but free would be awesome too!
    if anyone has a link to a statement from toyota about this subhect or anything link it for me plz. Also has anyone peeled out in some water or whatever and controlled this thing? LOL the steering gets so stiff like old cars w/o power steering. im scared to fully fish tail this [non-permissible content removed] full throttle cuz i dunna if this AI alien steering will let me control my car lol. dont flame me if yall think there no problem plz.

Eric
    Interesting two weeks ago two co workers flew across state for a local sporting event. They came over early so they could spend a three days and see the sites. When I met them at the hotel the first night they had toyota Corolla LE rental car. We joked that we both were driving the same car just different color. When the were done with the trip i asked them what they thought of the car and how it handled.

There response ( they both drove it) was great fun to drive and after three days of going all over the gas gauge was slow to move. I then asked if they noticed anything differant about the steering the one said it felt tight but no complaints that nothing jumped out. He asked why so i explained on what some have noticed he said he didn't notice any thing that would make him take notice. He owns a 2007 Subaru WRX STI and scares me when i ride with him and she owns a 2007 Honda Accord. This not to discredit other posts but to show that everyone has a differant experience when driving the Corolla.

MNF
    Corolla LE, 15,000 miles. Own it 13 months. Second round trip from NY to Southwest Florida. 1350 miles split 2 days. Car is all over the road. Too sensitive. Very tedious to hold car straight. I hope Toyota comes up with some sought of fix. Otherwise I'll be looking for something else. I bought Corolla specially for my long trips. Comfort and gas mileage sold me. It's a shame because I like the car. My daughter still owns my 94' Camry. Maybe Camry has a different EPS system.
    When did the Camry start using EPS?
    The 07-09 Camry has hydraulic - I think the 2010 has EPS.
  • brulebrule Member Posts: 22
    The Camry 2009 has EPS. :lemon:
    For 2009, the 4 cylinder does not have EPS, maybe the V6 does?
    Sounds exactly like my experience. City driving no problem. 110 km/h and above the car wanders and I find myself correcting left/right/left constantly, like as if every day is a windy day. 2 dealers told me that I'm the first person ever to have any complaint about it. I'm going to have my dealer check alignment and road test it. Can't think of anything else to do.

On the brighter side.... Yesterday, 120 km highway run at 115 km/hr, nice warm 25 Celsius day, the dash readout says I averaged 5.5 l/100 km = 51 mpg Canadian = 43 mpg US!! Bought the car in January, was quite disappointed at mileage in the winter months. It would appear that this car likes to run hot and not too far above the speed limit.
  • coffeemlkcoffeemlk Member Posts: 20
    Any feedback on the 2010 Corolla EPS? Is it any better?
    Haven't drove a 2010 yet but they gonna have a long way to go to beat the steering on the 2009 ! The ease of this steering is just so relaxing to drive. Hope they didn't change it for the worse.
    I agree i am on vacation just drove from Spokane to Seattle to Portland and now the oregon coast. Driving from 45mph to 75-80 with no issues what so ever.

MNF