Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
    sorry but I don't know how to put a link on here. One of the oil filter studies I saw was:
    www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Usually it suffices simply to precede the URL with "http://" as in http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study

If you want to make it look like a regular link then you have to do a litte more work: <a href="http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study">a regular link</a>

tidester, host
  • loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
    thank you tidester
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    I recently drove my 03 4Runner across MN, SD, and WY, where the temps were well below 0 F. About -12 when I pulled into Rapid City. The vehicle performed quite well, but I did notice the fuel economy seemed to tank at those temps. Interesting to see other people getting poor economy in low temps. Anyone know what causes this?
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I had a physics professor in college who had a great sense of humor. He often said, Tell me what the empirical data is, and I'll tell you what physical law applies."

I used to do spelunking in college. I noticed that all caves are 55 degrees F. It doesn't matter which State, Summer or Winter, always 55 degrees F. From that experience, I suppose that underground gasoline storage tanks are at 55 Degrees F. Filling your tank with 55 degree gasoline and then have it shrink due to cold temperature may make it seem that the gasoline disappears quickly.
      The cold temperature may also cause the air in your tires to shrink, also. Your tires may be under inflated, making for more rolling resistance.
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    I've dropped about 2mpg since the temp has dropped consistently below 32*.
  • likalarlikalar Member Posts: 108
    <<I've dropped about 2mpg since the temp has dropped consistently below 32*. >>

Me, too, but I thought it was the lousy aerodynamics from the 30" of snow sitting on the roof. ;-)
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Anyone know the reason why Toyota dropped the telescoping steering wheel on the '04 SR5's? They had it on the '03's.
  • kscotttkscottt Member Posts: 18
    Anybody know of a good body shop in the Long Beach/South Bay area? Some guy hit me and my initial estimate of $1600 for a few little dents and scratches seems a bit inflated.

Thanks.
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    No snow on the roof, she is garaged, but dirty as a 2 yr old at Chucky Cheeses.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    I have a 2004 SR5, with the 'B' package, that includes the telescopic steering wheel. Mine is a Canadian model, it that makes a difference. Neither the 2003 nor 2004 base model ('A' package) came with the telescopic wheel.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Thanks for the info.

It is strange, a friend of mine has a base model '03 SR5 with it, but on the '04's, it's been dropped. They even state it in the brochure.
  • hotelsevenhotelseven Member Posts: 33
    So after sending a long letter to Toyota Head Office (Customer Service) outlining the numerous problems I have had to date with my 03 V6 Sport, and being told basically that there was nothing they were prepared to do, I emailled the managers at my dealership. Within a couple days the VP from the dealership responded and I was put in touch once more with the Service Manager. I advised him of the further problems I have had and they are going to need my vehicel for another 3 days to do the following:
    -check VSC computer
    -replace sunroof
    -replace stereo components
    -check / replace front seat
    -replace chipped silver paint from interior / exterior

They are giving me a Corola as a rental (how nice). That will mean in 9 months of owning this vehicle, it will have been into the dealer for service a total of 9 times....This is the second time I will be requiring a rental.

I requested a completely new vehicle stating that I feel I have a lemon. He was quite honest and replied that unless the vehicle is unsafe, or has considerable "down-time" where it is undriveable (ie. drivetrain problems, etc) then they would probably not replace the vehicle. He also stated that if the dealer could repeatedly not fix a problem then they may consider. I advised him that it has been in 3 different times to have the loud engine noise checked out (even a Toyota Engineer came in to check it out and there is still no fix). He said that that is the only issue that MAY be working towards getting a brand new vehicle.

Just thought Id keep you all posted as to my dealings with Toyota and the Service Dept.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    Lemon law states, if memory serves me right, that if your vehicle is in the dealer shop for 30 days in the first year, then they have to buy it back at the purchase price minus the mileage cost. You will likely need an attorney to push this through if this is the case. In any case, you will need to produce proof that the vehicle was indeed in for 30 or more days.

Could someone confirm this ?
    Unfortunately there are no such laws that exist in Canada (at least none that I am aware of). Anyone know what chance of winning a Civil Suit against Toyota one would have here in Canada?
    I was just on the Toyota Website and saw that they now have an option for Borla exhaust system, where the fumes are exhausted out the SIDES of the rear of the vehicle, not directly out the back.

If Toyota has recognized that so many people are complaining about the rotten egg smell with the 2003's, does that mean they may change them for us if we are still under warranty (by us I mean us who have the rotten smelling rear exhaust)?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Anyone know what chance of winning a Civil Suit against Toyota one would have here in Canada?

I don't know but isn't that the reason Toyota is able to sell their vehicles more cheaply there than in the states - fewer and less costly civil suits?

tidester, host
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Now that the Canadian dollar is at 0.8 of the American (used to be 0.62 a year ago), it is cheaper to buy cars in USA.

I don't think cheaper cars have to do much with lawsuits. More likely, it's all about labor costs involved, since Canadians get paid less, in relative terms
  • nick4597nick4597 Member Posts: 50
    Anyone with any experience completely replacing seats in an suv (or a new 4runner!). These seats are like sitting on a park bench!
  • 4runner_20034runner_2003 Member Posts: 2
    This is my first post!. I have 2003 Sport V8. I like to know any experience with San Antonio,TX Toyota dealers regarding their service (like oil changes etc). Please share your experience.
    Thanks.
  • falcon74falcon74 Member Posts: 67
    I just purchased a '04 4Runner Sport 4WD- V8. The finance guy tried to sell me on the Platinum Toyota 6 yr 75K warranty. Are there any options in buying the warranty other than purchasing directly it from the dealer you purchased the car from??

TIA
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    I'm 5' 10" tall, and weigh 190 lbs, and so far I've logged over 9000 miles behind the wheel of my '03 4Runner Limited. During this time, my girlfriend and I have both found the Limited's leather seats to be quite comfortable, relaxing, and non-fatiguing, even on a 9 hour trip.

Nick, if you drive a new 4Runner, it's unfortunate that you don't find your vehicle's seats to be comfortable. If you really dislike how the seats feel to you, I think this is something you should have assessed and evaluated BEFORE you bought or leased the vehicle.

Personally, when I sit in an unfamiliar vehicle, I can usually get a good immediate sense of whether or not I love the seats, even before fine-adjusting them to my preferences. By the same token, if I immediately feel even slightly uncomfortable, unsupported, or unpampered in a seat, this is a red flag, especially if adjusting the seat does not completely resolve the discomfort.

If you find your vehicle's seats to be too firm or hard, you might want to consider buying a set of custom-fitted, high-quality, genuine sheepskin seat covers. These are far less costly and risky than trying to find and install aftermarket seats (which might void parts of your warranty); and they are warm in the winter and cool in the summer. On the other hand, sheepskins may interfere with heated seats; they tend to shed; they are easily soiled/stained/damaged (e.g., cigarette burns) and they are often rather inconvenient to remove/dryclean/re-apply. In addition, *custom-fitted/custom-ordered* sheepskins are often sold with a *no-return* policy, for obvious reasons. That said, most of the better manufacturers of sheepskins will offer off-the-shelf sheepskins that are described as being generally tailored to, and compatible with, many vehicle makes and models (rather than being custom fitted), and they are typically returnable if you don't like them. (I've had experience here based on a previous vehicle whose unheated leather seats were colder than *** in the winter.)
  • rkymtnhghrkymtnhgh Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know how to remove the double decker shelf? At first I thought it was an ingenious and convenient option, but now I realize it's totally worthless and actually takes up some precious floor space!
  • mm3051mm3051 Member Posts: 10
    Any ideas on how to keep dirt/debris coming into the engine compartment from the wheel wells on 03/04 4Runners? Thanks...
    As far as I know, no one has devised a way of removing the cargo system. I lowered mine to the floor, and took out the bar that it attaches to. That bar comes out like a toilet paper roll holder.
     I thought that was appropriate.
      Now when I lower the second row seats, I have a the maximum cargo space. Without that cargo system holding bar, it is more usable for larger loads, too.
     Are you a John Denver fan ?
  • toyboxxtoyboxx Member Posts: 150
    I removed my double decker cargo system very simply. It left a ledge at the trim piece immediatly behind the seats. It's just one piece of trim so I went to the dealer to get the trim part that would come with a truck that didn't have the system. The part was about $175 after discount I think. I didn't have the money and at this time I'm not worried about getting the piece of trim. I do know it is out there to finish the job off when I get the extra cash.

The removal is easy. You just take that piece of trim up that I talked about above and slide the system out then put the trim back. My dog hated the surface of the DDsystem, he could never get a grip on anything and used to slide around the back. Now he can get a grip on the carpet.
  • 69mach169mach1 Member Posts: 60
    Noticed the same thing myself, I've mentioned it once before on the site. What you need to do is cover up all those holes in the fender apron with body plugs or tape. I taped them over and my engine compartment stays a lot cleaner now.

There is also the problem of debris getting into the lower rear door area because there's a gap rubber seal on the door and the rocker moulding.

I find the seats in our 2003 sport hard as well, but it's my wife's car and she's ok with the seats. Japanese car seats tend to be more firm that American made cars, it's something you have to get used to if want to drive a Toyota or a Honda.
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    There's several places that make 'em... Check out this one that someone put in a Toyota P/U: http://www.seats4cars.com/vehicles/toyotapickup/index.htm
  • rkymtnhghrkymtnhgh Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the replies guys. A toilet paper roll holder? How fitting. Pat84, yes, I am in fact a JD fan, even though I'm only 24. I actually saw his last concert tour in Austin, TX, where I went to school, about a week before his plane crashed. I'm also rather fond of my home state of Colorado.
  • toyboxxtoyboxx Member Posts: 150
    Toilet paper holder???? Are you talking about the cargo cover or the double decker cargo system?

The cargo cover comes off without any tools. The DD cargo system comes off with the right size socket and about 5 minutes time.
  • slandyslandy Member Posts: 46
    The vehicle already has a 5 year/60 K mile powertrain warranty. So you would be paying how much for 1 year and 15k miles of warranty. Granted the basic warranty is only 3 years, but you did buy a Toyota not a Chevy Trailblazer. Just me thoughts.
    There is a cross bar with connectors on it to hold the double decker system up. That is what I removed.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    For those who put high mileage on the vehicle (as I'm doing), and/or who may plan to keep it for 5 yrs. or more, I feel the extended warranty is a wise idea. For example, I've owned my '03 4Runner less than 4 months, and have already put 9300 miles on it. At this rate, I'll blow through the standard factory warranties fairly quickly. I opted for Toyota's Platinum Extended Warranty (6 yrs., 100,000 miles) for ~$925.00 when I purchased my vehicle.

Also, don't forget that the extended warranty covers a multitude of systems that are not covered after the 36,000 mile warranty expires on parts other than the power train, and the cost of out-of-warranty repairs here may be very high indeed. In addition, the Platinum Extended Warranty offers a number of perks, such as a free loaner vehicle, which could otherwise prove very costly if the vehicle must be shopped for a prolonged period of time.
  • rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    Since you are paying a premium for an extremely reliable vehicle, you are already paying for quality in lieu of the need for an extended warranty. The more reliable the vehicle, the less likely you are to need an extended warranty and the more likely you are to waste the money. Put the money in treasury bills and use it if and only if the vehicle needs repairs. Most 4Runners will outlast the warranty. Anything incorrect from the factory in a 4Runner will most likely go bad within the standard warranty.
  • alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    Nevertheless, for some 4Runner models, there are some expensive options whose reliability are unknown, namely the X-REAS system, Air Suspension, and NAV system with its tilting delicate display for starters. Replacing these options is extremely pricey. For a 4Runner without these options, I would be more inclined to not purchase additional protection.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    AC compressor to go and you've paid for the warranty.
  • falcon74falcon74 Member Posts: 67
    The dealer I purchased the 4Runner is charging a very high price for the extended warranty. So I was wondering if I could buy a Toyota extended warranty from another dealership or not?

Also, does anyone know if the non-toyota extended warranties are any good??
  • jcla7jcla7 Member Posts: 18
    I haven't seen this one yet. On my 03 LTD runner I'm having some unusual difficulty with the radio. Several times I've lost the ability to change volume, or any of the other functions. If the engine is turned off and restarted, all functions return. It is very intermittent. More recently, I lost volume completely. The display appeared normal, ie, station numbers could be changed, tone could be adjusted, etc. Just no volume. Maybe it's just me, but the whole purpose of having a radio is HEARING a radio. Again, engine on/off cures. Took it to the usually cooperative dealer but we could not recreate the problem, and they couldn't find anything wrong.

Currently at about 10,000 miles so well within the warranty. I wonder if I'm entitled to a new radio, or how this is going to work if I can't actually show them the problem. Any ideas? I appreciate the usual good help..............JC
  • rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    On an individual basis, some (a few) people may find extended warranties worth their money. Just remember, over the long run, no one (including Toyota) would sell an extended warranty if they were loosing money. If the warranty sellers are making a profit off of selling these warranties (and you can be sure they are), guess who is loosing - the buyer. On the average, don't waste your money. If you are insecure, go ahead.

Don't believe that the sellers have forgotten the risk of new equipment on the new models. They haven't and you are not going to think of an issue they haven't. This is like expecting to win in Los Vegas. Maybe you will, but over the long run, we (as collective buyers) have no chance against the house.
    I too have had problems with my JBL Premium system. Volume freezes as well as the center speaker making loud hiss / static noise for up to 5 minutes (even when stereo is turned off!) upon engine start (in cold weather). My dealer says there has been a problem acknowledged by Toyota regarding the amplifier, and they are goig to replace mine under warranty. There is a TSB about it...

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/0360_mo.html
  • jjenkensjjenkens Member Posts: 26
    Was wondering what the general consensus is about having the dealer do a tint job? The Limited 4Runner I ordered the other day doesn't have that option, so the dealer said they'd tint it when it came in for me. Isn't this a different kind of tint then I would get at the factory? Spray vs true tinted glass? Anyone have first-hand experience with this? Thanks in advance.
  • 4runtexas4runtexas Member Posts: 31
    hello jjenkins...
    keep in mind this is just my 0.02 on the tints...

DO NOT let you're dealer tint you're windows...
    no matter what they tell you, they're using the same stuff as the mom n' pop shop down the road, no matter what!

i dont know if you've seen it or noticed it before, but taking a look on the dealers lots, you'll often see any car (not only 4runners) that have "tinted" windows from the dealer...this may very well be, but paying 300-400 dollars for some tint is a laughing matter!!!

my best advice, drive you're car out of the dealer, and within the next few days, or whenever you see fit, find yourself a nice car audio/accessory shop, and about 80% of the time, those shops do tint jobs.
    have them tint you're car to you're liking..(my '03 Runner is limo tinted in the rear, and
    35% in the front..the MAX allowed by law down here in Texas) at most, it should cost you no more than $175-195..thats if you want the WHOLE vehicle done the price drops dramatically when you only do a part of the car.

IMHO - Dealer tints are one of the biggest ways and easiest i might add, that dealers rip off their customers. you'll be happy with a car shop, and have an extra $200.00 in you're pocket!!
  • jjenkensjjenkens Member Posts: 26
    I appreciate the feedback. In my case, however, it's something they are throwing in for free basically. If I said that I didn't want it, it won't drop the price any. We were negotiating on a vehicle that was close to what I wanted but not exactly. The only things it didn't have were the Side Signal Mirrors and a Window Tint. So the price stayed the same and they agreed to add the tint and install the mirror upgrade (I was anxious to lock in a vehicle while the 0.0% financing was available).

So basically, I could cancel it, but then I'd actually end up paying more to go have it done somewhere else. In all honesty, I'm more concerned with the quality then the $200 bucks. So if there isn't an advantage to having it done somewhere else, I guess I could let them do it. But if it is going to be of a lower quality then what others can do, then I'll just have them skip it.

So quality-wise.. am I better off going somewhere else? If I had gotten a factory tint, would the glass have been different or is that a spray too?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Chances are the dealer is just going to farm out the tint job to the accessory shop down the street anyway. The advantage of having it done at purchase is that you can look to the dealer if there's a warranty issue with the tint down the road.

Steve, Host
    I have an '03 4Runner V8, I believe manufactured 1/03. I've read on here that the towing capacity for those vehicles is 5000lbs. My owner's manual disagrees, saying it's 7000lbs. I know they upgraded the V8 hitches mid 2003 model year, didn't they? I took delivery at the end of Feb, '03. I'm towing a sub-5000lb load next weekend (my first towing experience) but in the future I may want to tow the combined weight of my Audi A4 and a rental U-Haul car trailer, which is a total of just over 5300lbs.

So can I believe my owner's manual, and that my towing capacity is really 7000lbs? That would rule.

I also read some people had problems with getting their early-on ball mounts to go in the Class III receiver. I had no problem whatsoever, worked like a charm. So maybe I do have the better setup?
  • martin45martin45 Member Posts: 51
    I find it amazing that people are still purchasing this stink bomb. Enjoy the smell.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Look at your hitch. There should be a yellow sticker on the hitch showing the capacity. When I was shopping for a 4Runner, I looked at the hitches and the build date. It appeared to me that trucks built through 4/2003 had the 5000 lb hitch and those built after 4/2003 had the 7000 lb hitch.

I suspect that you have the 5000 lb hitch.
  • whitney8whitney8 Member Posts: 31
    A while back there was some discussion about cutting off 1/4" of the end of the ball mount because it was hitting the spare tire, and people were not able to get the hitch pin all the way through the hole.

I found that you can achieve the clearance, if you lower the spare tire just a bit and push the spare towards the front of the truck, while retracting it. Or, lower it, mount the hitch, and then retract the spare.
    Interesting. I had no problem with mine, spare in place.....
  • jcla7jcla7 Member Posts: 18
    hotelseven, Many thanks for the info. Should help.

JC