Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Toyota Venza

anry555anry555 Member Posts: 9
edited December 2013 in Toyota
I thought it would be a good idea to put a wish list for 2010 Venza. Who knows, the Toyota rep might pick up this info.

I'll start:

- Black or dark grey seats
- Memory seats
- 18''..19''..20'' tires selection

Comments

• petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Good suggestions. I would also like to see the Push Button Start / Smart Key System available with the 4 banger. In Canada it's only available with the 6cyl expensive touring package. Toyota, quit nickel and diming us (particularly in these difficult economic times).
  • rdeasonrdeason Member Posts: 11
    Memory seats and mirrors. A navigation system you can use while driving. A rear view camera that comes on when your turn signals activate so you see you blind spots.
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    Additional features that would make the Venza even better (not that it does me any good with my 2009 :))

- True iPod integration (i.e. via a USB port)
    - Turn signal indicators in the side mirrors
    - LED taillamps
  • david_k1david_k1 Member Posts: 39
    Re: the i-pod / i-phone integration problem, see my post under "i-phone integration" in this forum. The newest (this summer) upgrade to the OS of the i-phone will include bluetooth streaming of the music in our devices - we won't need no stinkin' wires at all!! I do like the idea of the turn signals and LED taillights and hope there will be an after-market option for these as we have a 2009 on order...
    Memory seats would also be great.
    Best
  • pasackpasack Member Posts: 3
    Yep. Memory seats and mirrors. Also, a hybrid option would be fantastic.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..-LED taillamps.."

You can already buy replacement LED bulbs.

"..-Turn signal indicators..."

On the bottom so they can be seen front and rear and while we're at why not integrated "puddle" lighting...?

And how about an "airfoil" cover/extension over the top of the outside rear view mirrors to reduce instances of rain on the mirror. The airfoil forms a vacuum over the top to help wick away the droplets that do attach to the mirror surface.
    Upgrade the new I4 engine to DFI but downsize the engine displacement rather than simply use DFI to increase HP/torque to attract more of the the "boy-racer", 0-60 mph crowd, the 20" wheels do enough of the already.

Adopt a CVT transaxle to get DECENT FE and to avoid the unsettling/discomforting constant SHIFTINESS of the current 6 (9) speed automatic used to not even get to the same FE.

Move the electromagnetic rear drive clutch in series with/to the front drive and "solidify" the rear drive path. Have a much more safe driving R/awd vehicle.

And while you're in there use the new VW engine RPM control technique to prevent driver induced overstearing. If rear wheelspin/slip develops(***) as a result of the driver being overly zealous with the gas pedal then simply use DBW to overcome the driver's input, match the engine torque production to roadspeed, no excessive forward drive nor engine compression braking.

*** Assuming the R/awd system has already been "configured" to 50/50, otherwise that should/would be the first "action" to take with rear wheelspin/slip detection.
    Use a variable speed positive displacement SuperCharger to replace the throttle valve/plate. Then use VVT-i to vary the intake valve closing timing to move the engine operating mode from Atkinson for simply cruising along, to the Miller cycle when a higher level of engine torque is required.

An engine driven SC but through a version of the e/CVT to vary the SC speed. Requires yet another AC synchronous motor and AC drive inverter, probably equal to, a HP equivalent, of the system used to drive the A/C compressor.

The engine displacement volume could be downsized quite significantly so as to dramatically improve FE in cruise, Atkinson mode, but yet retain the POWER of teh current engine by simply transitioning in the Miller cycle mode when required.

"Native"/Static cylinder compression ratio of ~14-16 but with Atkinson effective (DFI) compression ratio of 12:1. Then use a combination of delayed intake valve closing, more closing delay, and SC boost to bring the engine HP/torque up to an acceptable level.
    The wireless streaming via Bluetooth is great for those with Navigation, but for those of us with the non-Nav JBL or the base stereo, we're out of luck, unfortunately.
  • lal_cltlal_clt Member Posts: 29
    I'm not an audio techie, but why wouldn't the wireless streaming work for those who have just the JBL? I thought the NAV package was the JBL system and Navigation. combined. So it should work for either one. Where is my thinking flawed? Thanks for your help.
    My understanding is YES, the JBL system offers the same bluetooth capabilities as the JBL/Nav system. Both will currently allow hands free / bluetooth phone calls via the stereo and therefore bluetooth audio streaming with the i-phone once we get the NEW OS this summer from Apple.
    Please correct me if I am mistaken...
    Best.
  • halwickhalwick Member Posts: 45
    Why in the world would you want LED tailamps? If you look at the owner manual for the Prius, Camry, RAV4, it states that you need to see the dealer to replace the LED. I've asked the dealer how much it costs to replace and they said $300 and the whole taillamp assembly housing (not just the LED bulb) needs to be replaced. LEDs may look cool, but not at that price. In fact I'm glad the Venza doesn't have LEDs....except for the center brakelight.
    Why in the world would you want LED tailamps?

Aside from being brighter and illuminating faster (which could be the difference between a near miss and getting rear-ended), they just look cool. Like the 20" wheels. :)

My understanding is that the LEDs should last a long time -- longer than regular lights with a filament, and maybe even as long as the useful life of the vehicle. Therefore, the cost of replacement is moot relative to how often one would expect to replace them. Granted, if there is a high incidence of premature failure of LED lamps, then that's another story.
    Looking at Toyota's web site:

JBL with Nav: Voice-activated touch-screen DVD navigation system with JBL Synthesis® surround sound AM/FM 4-disc in-dash CD changer with integrated satellite radio, MP3/WMA playback capability, hands-free phone capability and music streaming via Bluetooth® wireless technology and 13 speakers

versus

JBL non-nav: JBL Synthesis® surround sound AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer with integrated satellite radio, MP3/WMA playback capability, hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth® wireless technology and 13 speakers

For the JBL non-nav, the Bluetooth profile supported is only for the hands-free phone capability, not music streaming.
    Geez - That burst my bubble!!
    I suppose I will be removing my radio after-all to attach an after-market i-phone integration unit after I have the car. I called DICE this afternoon and they should have on the market very soon the unit, fully tested, for the Venza.
    Thanks for enlightening me.
    Yes, absent a manufacturing defect LED lamps should outlast the vehicle life.

"..Aside from being BRIGHTER.."

Yes, I foresee a day not too distant in the future wherein the brightness of these new LED tail/stop lights will be regulated. Or maybe the stop lights automatically extinguished once the vehicle actually stops.

The brightness has now reached the point of being annoying.
    The brightness has now reached the point of being annoying.

Isn't that the point of brake lights? :) To be annoying enough to get the driver behind you to notice that you're stopping?

Another idea would be to have a varying intensity -- maybe bright for regular stops and extra bright for panic stops?

I'm usually more bothered by extra-bright headlights from people who are using after-market HIDs or HID-like lights, rather than bright LED brake lights.
    "...isn't that the point of brake lights?.."

The annoyance isn't an issue until we're both fully stopped and I'm directly behind having to look away to avoid the glare.

"..varying intensity --..."

Has been well proven not to work.

That's why we now have a separate high mounted brake light, to differentiate from parking/street/tail light brightness if you happen to be not paying attention at the instant the brake lights illuminate..

What is needed is some sort of "bar graph" type brake light display so the following driver can more easily discern the braking level/intensity of the leading vehicle.
  • bearloverbearlover Member Posts: 12
    Had to trade in new Venza (less than 2,000 miles) that we love due to wife having serious problem with Venza seats. Never had back problems before or with any other automobile seating, BUT had huge problem with Venza's seats. Did not surface in test drive as it was too short. Big and costly lesson learned. Was never able to find a setting that wouldn't put her in misery after a short drive.
  • shamrock13shamrock13 Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone heard when the 2010s are hitting dealerships? I’ve read they will include standard iPod connectivity, a USB port, and Bluetooth streaming on all audio systems. I don’t understand why they neglected these on the 2009s.
  • steffi603steffi603 Member Posts: 3
    I was told from a dealer in NJ that they will be available early November
  • yptypt Member Posts: 1
    Below is the reply I received from Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. regarding 2010 Venza release date:-

The 2010 Venza will begin arriving at dealerships in early November. You can view information regarding the styling, specifications, features and options by visiting our Pressroom http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/2010-toyota-venza-is-a-new-type-102521- .aspx.
  • halwickhalwick Member Posts: 45
    Any difference between the 2010 and the 2009 in the way of options or colors?
  • griswaldgriswald Member Posts: 33
    I'd like to know what unadvertised production improvements they make, any little thing would be of interest.
  • texanesonetexanesone Member Posts: 1
    The colors and option packages remain the same. USB 2.0. Also vehicle height lowered eight tenths of an inch. Most apparent by not such a large gap in the wheel wells.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ouch.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Toyota needs to be very careful with cost cutting. It needs to be competitve in production costs, but if it starts looking like a Chevy, people will expect it to sell at a Chevy price and down will go Toyota's generally higher profit margins.
  • robfilerobfile Member Posts: 9
    I'm sorry but his review of the Venza is skewed just like everything else about MSNBC.

His comparisons to Pacifica and Taurus X don't seem to make sense. Why didn't Carney compare Venza to similar models in the same class?

At the end of his review he writes: "Volkswagen is pulling closer to the leaders with a plan to pass both of them in the coming decade. For this leadership position, only quality products need apply." This is laughable based on the poor reliability ratings VW has of late.

I will agree that Toyota must improve upon their quality control. However, it took decades of poorly built GM's and Chryslers to get the proverbial wake up call but in my opinion nothing in their 2009 - 2010 line-ups that gets me excited.

My Venza was purchased from a Toyota dealer who also has Pontiac and Cadillac on the same floor. I can honestly say the interior fit and finish of my Venza is equal to, if not superior in comparison to the SRX and at $14,000 less.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Wow, that is the most bias article on a vehicle I have ever read. Comparing to a Pacifica and Taurus X is a joke.

I don't know about the electric steering, but haven't read any complaints about it here or in elsewhere. What about it Venza owners, is the steering too light?

The writer must be on the GM take. I recently drove a Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon and was underwhelmed and at 40K plus. The leather seats smelled awful. The interior looked like the Chevy Equinox. It didn't ooze luxury like a Lexus to me. I can't believe Cadillac is competing with Lexus anymore.
  • dave139dave139 Member Posts: 19
    I still love my 4cyl AWD and at 2700 miles the only complaint thus far is that @ 6'2" the driver's seat could have a little more thigh support. Also, due to having 19" wheels, snow tires are expensive and hard to find. My Blizzaks just came in and the dealer tells me that Bridgestone has a 14,000 tire back order.
    Dave
    Neither my wife nor I are "picky" people. We have owned more than a dozen cars in our lifetime and never had a problem with any of them--both foreign and domestic. Our 2009 Venza has more shortcomings than any vehicle we have ever owned. Its strong points (and there are several) are outweighed by the discomfort of their seats (cost cutting vs the Highlander's, for example?), limited seat adjustment (especially on passenger side), no memory seats/mirrors, no extenders on sun visors, arm rests so low that after a short distance our arms ache, no battery or oil pressure gauges, etc. Some of these we noticed when we test drove, but most surfaced after a short period of ownership. My caution to anyone looking at the Venza is make very sure that the seats are okay for you. They are so bad for us that my wife, who has never had back problem or had a problem in any other vehicle (owned or rented), cannot sit longer than thirty minutes without pain. Otherwise, "'Mrs. Lincoln' the play was great!" We are trading our Venza in after less than 2,000 miles and will gladly take the huge depreciation hit just to get rid of it! Sorry to be a "Debbie Downer." It is not my nature, but I have to share our experience for what it is. This experience with Toyota has been a huge disappointment.
    I can't help but note you told us back in September you were trading in your Venza, why the delay?

Just for reference what was the vehicle you owned prior to the Venza and what will you be trading to?
    For a replacement, we had to special order a Highlander Limited without the moonroof since that's mandatory with the "package" items that we wanted. In the meantime, Toyota shifts manufacturing from Japan to Indiana. Add to that the cumbersomeness of our dealer having to go through the middleman of Gulf States Region and you might understand our frustration. Our Venza has been parked in our garage and driven only enough to keep the battery charged. Our Highlander is scheduled to arrive in December but since all the info has to be filtered by Gulf States before the dealer gets it, we are not confident we'll see it before January.

Were it not for pre-paid maintenance and extended warranty that we can transfer to the Highlander, we would have traded the Venza in on another brand. In the meantime, we travel around in our F-350. It's a bummer, but we caused this by not being more discriminating at the beginning.
    Thanks for the feedback, I understand now. Sorry to hear about the Gulf States region. Sounds like he one I'm in, Southeast Toyota(SET).
    Interesting you find the new HL more comfortable. I have a 1st gen HL and I find as a tall person the seats are really too small for me with short leg support. Although there aren't many cars out there that seem to have good seats. If you are not the standard size person they design for you're doomed to make do.
    Seats should be an option like shoes, Small, medium and large would be nice. :)
    I'm 6'6" and my wife is 5'4". Until we got our Venza, we have never had a problem with seating, hence the reason it didn't occur to us that we would soon have to trade it off due to seat problems. The reason I had to special order a Highlander Limited is that all the packages that we want include a moonroof and there are virtually none on dealers' inventories without the moonroof. Due to my height, there is simply not enough headroom with the moonroof.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Just because Venza is a Toyota does not mean that the media has to sing its praises.

Pacifica and Taurus X are in the same "class" as Venza. The definition of Class here is 4 door wagon/crossover vehicle.
  • robfilerobfile Member Posts: 9
    I would check again if I were you.

1. The 2009 Chrysler Pacifica was discontinued.

2. The Taurus X is a 7 Passenger Vehicle.

This has nothing to do weather the car is a Toyota or not. Instead compare apples to apples in size as well as class.
  • michiganmike1michiganmike1 Member Posts: 14
    If you read the comments on the MSNBC review of the Venza, you will find a number of reasons to question Mr. Carney's objectivity, fact-checking and honesty in his Venza review. He appears to have an axe to grind with Toyota. Compare his earlier review of the Toyota Matrix where he made several of the same points. He praised the quality of materials in a recent Chevy Equinox review in contrast to the Venza review that discusses at length the cheap plastic used by Toyota. Based on my own observations of these materials in these two vehicles there seems to be a double standard employed by Mr. Carney in evaluating plastic interior components.

Let's put the reference to the Pacifica and Taurus X in context with the following quote from Mr. Carney's review:
    "It's unknown whether this was the result of a genuine belief that the company should offer a product in every imaginable category, or because hubris led Toyota to believe that the Venza would find buyers who eluded the very similar (and discontinued due to lack of interest) Chrysler Pacifica and Ford Taurus X crossovers."

His point was to question whether the Venza would find a market. A little research would have shown Mr. Carney that Toyota targeted first year sales of 60,000 Venzas in press releases in the 4th quarter of 2008. Venza is on track to sell 90% of its target in 2009, despite the headwinds of the worst new car sales market in many years. Note that Honda has only targeted 40,000 for sales of its Crosstour, but apparently concluded this was a market segment deserving a product.

Consider another irrelevant aside by Mr. Carney at the end of the Venza review where he goes out of his way to praise Volkswagen as closing on the leaders where only quality products need apply. VW has a poor reputation for quality based on several sources. In addition, VW does not have a car that competes directly with the Venza, so why is it mentioned in this Venza review? Was this gratuitous compliment in appreciation of Mr. Carney being selected as one of three guest drivers earlier in the year in a VW sponsored race? Is this why he cites the hubris of Toyota in bringing the Venza to market, while praising the leadership of VW. Keep in mind this is the same VW that brought us the Phaeton, the embodiment of hubris and a car that sold 6,000 units per year from a factory built to produce 20,000 Phaetons. VW's leadership is currently exemplified in its re-badged Chrysler minivan, the Routan. However, do not bother Mr. Carney with such facts.
  • md_outbackmd_outback Member Posts: 185
    A careful read of Carney's review shows little evidence that he actually drove a Venza, except maybe one or two circles around the dealer's parking lot. He offers no objective or even subjective info about ride comfort, engine/transmission feel and performance, handling, etc. It's almost like he wrote the review based upon reading a brochure and sitting in the vehicle in a Toyota showroom. Mr. Carney should have published his document in the opinion pages, rather than pushing it as an objective review of the Venza.

MD
  • valuewonkvaluewonk Member Posts: 2
    I am a happy Venza owner and I have not noticed any particular problems with handling or suspension related to the vehicle's 20 inch tires. I gather that I may wince at the cost when it comes time to replace them.
    I have a very basic question for the Forum. What are the advantages and disadvantages of tire sizes ranging from 16 inch to 20 inch? Surely there must be some trade-offs, but I have never seen these defined.
    Many of the reviews of other vehicles make a point that a pricier version of the same car means that, for example, you get 18 inch tires instead of 17 inch. That would suggest that bigger is better, but most comments on the Venza tires take the position that 20 inche tires are too big and magnify the effect of a rough road surface..
    It seems unlikely to me that Toyota would equip the Venza with 20 inch tires if there were no advantages whatsoever to that size, but I have never seen the plusses and minuses explained.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    But as far as the memory seats go, you can't get that in the
    Highlander either, from what I understand. I really like the exterior looks of the Venza. I saw quite a few on the road up in the North Georgia area while I was away for Thanksgiving.

But I'm also spoiled in my Lexus ('07 RX350) with the memory seats, power tilt/telescoping steering wheel, memory mirrors, reverse-tilt mirrors and rain-sensing wipers. My lease will be up
    in August of next year, and I'm having trouble finding these features all together in any other vehicle that would fall between the RX in price and the Venza in price.
  • yassyyassy Member Posts: 70
    all the dealers ive been to have virtually a huge stock of 2009 venzas left over. My guess is toyota is thinking twice about making more of these. There was no reason for this whale to hit the market. Plenty of suv's in toyotas fleet and YES i think they are becoming a GM. It makes me think twice whether i will ever buy a toyota again!
  • dave139dave139 Member Posts: 19
    My experience has been different. Put 1,000 Thanksgiving travel miles on my 4cyl Venza during a round trip from NY to Virginia. Averaged 26.1 mpg (w/AWD) and found the seating to be very comfortable w/smooth and easy handling. So far, I love this car.
  • amseldamseld Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to say thank you to entire forum. I've been lurking for around three months and just purchased my 2010 V6 AWD Premium 2 car. I appreciate all of the comments (even the negative ones) and will add my thoughts in the weeks to come (pick up my car next week).
  • luvwowluvwow Member Posts: 11
    I am in the market now for new suv hubby and I both drive toyotas hylander and sienna van have loved them very reliable and have gotten us across country quite a few times while psc. I am cross shopping 2011 kia sorento its releasing next month looks very nice and has gotten some good reviews have test drove nissan murano,accura mdx,ford escape hybrid,mazada cx9,santa fe, I did check out the venza,hylander, I am tired of driving hylander now since 2001 so ruled that one out and I like riding higher up so ruled out venza plus it does not seat seven looked at the rav 4 just too small for my taste.
    I can only guess this is what texting does to your grammar and spelling.

Sorry, but I had to read your post over 3 times to make sense of it.
  • craigd1craigd1 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a Venza and need to know if these 2 items work properly:
    1. the side view mirrors don't tilt down when car is put in reverse - is this the norm?
    2. have the power rear tailgate - it opens from inside the car and from the remote, but when I press the button on the tailgate itself, it doesn't open - is this the way it's supposed to work?
  • myspringermyspringer Member Posts: 13
    I bought mine in Oct
    No the mirrors do not tilt.
    At the beginning, I thought my rear door came up when I pushed the button between the 2 letters.
    Now it doesn't, so I am not too sure. It works from the remote and the cock pit.

Do you know how to lock your doors??? My dealership did not know how to do it.
  • vinnyvenzavinnyvenza Member Posts: 5
    I never noticed a button on the tailgate. At least not on the outside. There is a button you push when you have the tailgate opened. It's along the bottom edge to the left of center near the lock mechanism