Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    This discussion is ONLY for talking about prices paid & buying experiences when shopping for the 2010 Prius. Further off-topic messages will be removed without notice.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rpjjrpjj Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a Blizzard White with Package II for $22,650 not including TTL, but which included floormats. MSRP here is $22,000 + $750 (dest) + ($220 paint) + $200 (floormats) = $23,170.
  • tyler70tyler70 Member Posts: 82
    it seems like a good deal, assume that they still provide you the same warranty as the new car. $3000 off for only 1000 miles. I have had mine only little over 1 week and it has over 500 miles. saving $3000 off in 2 weeks seems like a good deal ;)
  • donewithvwsdonewithvws Member Posts: 47
    yeah i thought it was a good deal too as i've been reading all the posts on this forum and most seem to be paying sticker, with a few getting 500-1500 off; however the 'demo' aspect is what worried me. it sort of appeared out of nowhere and not sure if they beat on these models, or if there is anything i should worry about. good point on the warranty tho, ill check on that.

anyone know about the sunroof...if it slides like a regular moonroof??
    yes, the SR roof works just like the sunroof/ moonroof. the first half is the regular power sun/moon roof and the 2nd half in the back is the solar. you open the first half just like a normal sun/moon roof, the solar stays stationary.
    =
    I have a question about one post a few prior to this one about the "cash for clunker" he said he got $2200 as the trade in value for this old car and he is applying for another $4500 under the cash for clunkers program. Is this possible. I thought you are only getting one or the other. I law is that after dealers take in these "cash for clunker" vehs, they will turn them in to be disposed... if this is the case, how could he get $2300 trade in and $4500 ?? pls let me know :confuse:
    tyler70 - thanks for the solar roof clarification, the vehicle im planning on purchasing has the solar package but i wasn't sure if the moonroof part actually opened or not. i don't like those ones that just lift up to vent either...i want one that fully slides open...

i believe you are referring to my post about the cash for clunkers...? i am trading in my vw cabrio for $2300 and i also applied to trade in a company van as a 'clunker' for the 4500 credit. the dealer and i both weren't sure i could trade in a van under the company name (as opposed to my name) and purchase the prius under my own name. well see...
    Whew ! what a relief
    thanks donewithvws.
    what a relief because I just traded in a toy 4runner for $5300 to get my Prius IV, and from your post, I thought the dealer treated me of the "cash for clunker" money by just giving me the trade in only and not the CFC.
    thanks for clarification.
    good luck with your new Prius, you will love it. 50 mpg is great
  • sodaguysodaguy Member Posts: 84
    I was looking on Maita Toyota's website just now and they have a Prius III for $1000 under MSRP. Maybe they are offering similar discounts on the Prius II?
  • big_robbig_rob Member Posts: 10
    I just wanted to let you guys know I got an offer for $1,000 off MSRP in Los Angeles.
  • luvthesunincaluvthesuninca Member Posts: 17
    :) Please let me know where!
    I want a package IV with SR
    Thanks!
    Marina del Rey Toyota. They had an ad in the LA times and I confirmed it with Mike F. the internet fleet mgr. Hope this helps
  • roy2001roy2001 Member Posts: 62
    I think $1000 off MSRP would be normal soon. I will shoot them an email to ask for an II.
  • valuemaximizervaluemaximizer Member Posts: 4
    big_rob,

What Prius package did you get? I'm looking for a Prius II in the Los Angeles region too and am aiming to get $1000 off of MSRP. Sounds like maybe you bought a loss leader advertised in the paper (with no choice of color or package)?

Another question in general for everyone: has anyone been successful in getting a new 2010 Prius with the Cash for Clunkers program? I just went to the official site (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/CarsSearchIntro.shtml) and noticed that when I chose a 2010 model for Prius as my replacement vehicle, the website wouldn't give me an incentive amount saying that the vehicle category is unknown. Did any one else run into this issue?

Thanks!
    He offered me $1000 off of any Prius I wanted.
  • tasogaretasogare Member Posts: 3
    After you email the dealer, how long does it usually take for them to get back to you with a price? I'm wondering when I should just take the offers I have on hand instead of waiting to see if better ones will come.

So far I've gotten about $1000 off MSRP but the MSRP numbers seem a little suspect (inflated by about $500).
    I just looked in their inventory and noticed that the car is no longer listed. Maybe it's sold already?
  • chomerjchomerj Member Posts: 10
    Sometimes it is within 30 minutes, but depends on how busy they are. I emailed several yesterday with no response after 24 hours (Boston area). For a 2010 II I was offered 300 off MSRP plus free extended warranty. Another dealer offered 300 off MSRP on any package, if purchased before July 30th (Mass sales tax goes up 25% on Aug 1). Several others offered only MSRP but wanted me to come in for a 'better' deal....

Based on above should I wait for the clunkers/sales tax buzz to die down in Mass and buy later this year? Would only save about 400 on sales tax. Thanks!
    In thinking about buying a 2010 Prius II this weekend, how has my bargaining leverage been affected since the launch of the Cash for Clunkers program? In other words, has the demand for Priuses been so high recently, that Toyota dealers are less willing to budge on anything less than MSRP (I had heard that some were offering $1,000 below MSRP recently)?

Also, how much does it matter when you buy a car at the end of the month versus at the beginning. Again, is there a significant leverage to bargaining for one timing over the other?
  • edf2edf2 Member Posts: 2
    Bought a Prius IV with Navi about $800 below MSRP but had to pay sales tax on the 4500 clunker for cash exchange and $150 salvage value I received for the old car. Does anyone know if in Maryland there is in fact sales tax on the CASH program?
    Thanks
  • cheryl06priuscheryl06prius Member Posts: 50
    Every car I have traded has never commanded the trade-in value as listed on the Edmunds charts. The MSRP may be realistic when purchasing without a trade-but unfortunately with hybrids being in such limited supply and great demand, be prepared for a trade in allowance shock, no matter what the MSRP.
  • gmail10010gmail10010 Member Posts: 5
    which dealer did you get it from?

i got mine for prius blizzard white package II for $22870 (plus ttl & $99 processing fee) from fitzgerald toyota in gaithersburg. added options are floormats ($200) and the bumper scratch protector thingy ($69).
  • eric2eric2 Member Posts: 14
    just received an email quote from Crown for Prius II, not $1000 below MSRP, they offer me $1000 above MSRP
    I was talking on the phone to someone at Walnut Creek Toyota today (I saw their ad on Craigslist). The salesman offered $300 over invoice on any III or IV model that they had in-stock.
  • carsh0pprcarsh0ppr Member Posts: 3
    Since the Cash for Clunkers (why do so many people have trouble spelling that?) program has used up $1B in one week, I think we can safely assume it's driving up demand. I'm waiting for a cool down month.

On the other hand, the $1k off MSRP sounds pretty darn good to me. By contrast, San Francisco Toyota (on Craigslist) is selling a Prius III for $23,450, which appears to be $450 over MSRP.
    I believe $23,000 is the base price w/out destination charge. Every quote I've seen has included the $750 destination charge as part of MSRP (meaning base Prius III would be $23,750). So that's $300 under MSRP.

But I'm not sure if others have been able to get the destination charge removed.
  • bombaybombay Member Posts: 5
    Just got the P3w/Nav yesterday from Fitzmall (Lakeforest Toyota) in Gaithersburg at $369 below MSRP. A $200 mats add-on came with the vehicle - guess all new ones have that as a standard option? Did have to put in a refundable deposit to wait on the car we wanted two weeks ahead of taking delivery (they did not have the Nav on the cars they had on the lot). Smooth transaction and they stayed true to the price advertized on their website (www.fitzmall.com). There was the usual pitch for warranties and such but it was not done in a non-aggressive manner.

As always - thanks to this forum and the members for all the information sharing that happens here. Forewarned is forearmed.

And the car is fab - very different from the 2009 I had driven earlier.
    Finally purchased my new Prius IV w/ Solar/Nav at Boch Toyota in Mass!

Purchased for 27,300 delivered before taxes and fees (msrp $30,429-includes all weather package)

Total discount from sticker was $3,129 - more easily negotiated because it was a demo car that a salesman had put 1600 miles on. I put that much miles on my car in a few weeks so not a big deal to me and was the only car with nav on the lot so I took the deal and ran!

With the discount and my 2300 trade-in, I was able to purchase at a much more affordable price for a great package at $25k!!

Can't wait to pick it up!

:shades:
  • honghai66honghai66 Member Posts: 6
    I am in LA area, the market got so hot. Prius II, dealer only offer MSRP price to buyer with clunker. For buyer without clunker, you can get $300 below MSRP.For Prius II, MSRP is $22750, however some options such as floor mate ($200) and bumper protect..($69) or bluetooth ($299) always already installed. You have to pay for those extra. Not good time for buyer w/o clunker.
  • dmifflindmifflin Member Posts: 2
    Agreed. I am also in the market for a Prius II in So Cal, no clunker to trade-in. I may hold out a bit longer as the best offer I've gotten this weekend was $500 off MSRP. I think $1000 to $1200 off will be doable once C4C ends.
    I got $1000 off MSRP in SoCal on top of C4C.

I contacted EVERY dealership in LA County, Orange County, Riverside County and San Diego County. The best offer I got was $1250 off MSRP but that was for a specific model with some extras I didn't want. I went with the dealer who gave $1000 off and worked the phones/boats until he got EXACTLY the car I wanted without any extras.

I saw the car, the paperwork has been signed and my Clunker traded in, but I'll wait to post the dealer name until I take possession.

you just have to do your homework (and know how to negotiate). no sleep for a week but it was worth it! more than $5600 off sticker at the end!
    Just bought a bare bones (no extras) Black Ext/Grey Int Package II Prius with ~$300 off of MSRP this past weekend during the madness of C4C (I had a clunker to trade in too). I think it's challenging to get much off of MSRP while C4C is going on in metropolitan cities and selection is definitely limited.

tasogare - out of curiosity, which Package did you buy and in what color? Also, what city did you buy the car from?

Also, one thing I wasn't aware of when I went in, if you do C4C, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE SALVAGE VALUE OF THE CLUNKER!!! Under the rules of the program, dealers are by law supposed to show you the value of your car's salvage value (scrap value) and have the right to subtract $50 for admin fees. I got only $50 back, but other posters have reported getting back $150. This is in ADDITION TO THE C4C DISCOUNT.

More discussion on this can be found here: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1db290/517

GOOD LUCK!
    Yesterday I bought prius II, silver at Quality Toyota in Corona So Cal, MSRP $22750, floor mate $200, bluetooth $299, bumper protect..$69, total $23318, got $500 off for Costco member, price come down to $22818, minus $4500 clunker rebate plus 8.75% Tax $1607, Govt fee $358, Doc fee $55, Out of door $20339. The car is not in stock, I have to wait for 10 days for shipping. Ask for Salvage value but I didn't get it, this dealer didn't charge $50 admin fee. I am still happy with the deal.
    Thanks for people post their comments and experience here.
  • parthenonparthenon Member Posts: 9
    Is your discount for a loaded VI or V or for a more basic model. I am looking for a base II or III and the best I saw was 500k (I didn't push very hard) right before C4C started.

You don't have to post the dealer but maybe you could post a couple of the competitive dealers (discounts, no fake options, didn't mess around or play games)

SoCal is crazy for cars!!! lol
    Is your discount for a loaded VI or V or for a more basic model? I am looking for a base II or III and the best I saw was 500 (I didn't push very hard) right before C4C started.

You don't have to post your dealer but maybe you could post a couple of the competitive dealers (discounts, no fake options, didn't mess around or play games)

SoCal is crazy for cars!!! lol
    How did he check if you're a costco member? Did you have to present a card or something?
  • wpeasewpease Member Posts: 6
    d like to know what options it comes with. A friend said that by law they had to show the invoice but they said not.

Also anyoen in NJ tried to buy a 2010 prius yet?
    Most posts seem to be from So CAl. Curious as to how much above invoice TMV may turn out to be. I could not find the 2010 on Edmunds' calculator.

thanks
    W.
    Costco auto program refer me to this dealer after I sign on costcoauto.com. Costcoauto program will assign the closest dealer who partcipate in this proragm to you. The dealer will contact you. Or you can just call a dealer and ask for costco member discount. I think they will check your memebrship card before the deal is made..
  • redhot888redhot888 Member Posts: 3
    I just had my GEN III Prius V 9 days ago and so far...I am falling in love with the gadget and new technology that comes with it. Every day seems like a new small good surpise. I love the exterior and interior...it makes feel secure and at the same time...feeling awesome!!! The most amazing part that I like from my Prius V is the 17" alloy wheel. It really give you the feeling of stability even at a higher speed!
  • themdtnthemdtn Member Posts: 18
    I've just bought a 2010 Prius III Blizzard Pearl with Navigation and Carpets for $25,000 (plus tax, Doc, and DMV fees), -$4,500 pre-tax Cash for Clunker and -$100 post-tax scrap value. The car's MSRP is $25970 and invoice is $24,418. The dealer is in Sunnyvale, CA. How good was the deal?
    Sounds pretty good, almost $1000 below MSRP. ($25970 to $25000) right? I didn't get $100 scrap value. Enjoy your new toy!
  • mrcheepmrcheep Member Posts: 6
    Hi You got a fantastic deal.. can you email me the salesperson's name and what else else did they thrown in for you.. what was the finance charge? please email this info asap.. thanx :)
  • tvc1tvc1 Member Posts: 1
    Bob Wilson,

I just saw your post from June regarding working with Prius dealers near one of their ports of entry. Do you have a list of the ports of entry used by Toyota for the Prius, or do you know where I could locate the list of ports they use?

Thanks,
    Nat Adamson
    nadamson@mindspring.com
  • cary28cary28 Member Posts: 53
    I'm also looking for a Prius IV Blizzard Pearl at Sunnyvale Toyota. Can you send me the name of your salesman? Thanks.

Cary
  • cary28cary28 Member Posts: 53
    Duy,

Thanks for the referral. I submiitted a Costco request 3 weeks ago, and they sent me to Piercy Toyota. The internet mgr there only quoted MSRP even for Costco referral, so I said thanks but no thanks since I can probably do better at local dealers. The C4C program is creating a temporary shortage for these cars, so dealers are leveraging this one time opportunity as expected. Thanks again.
  • sonyswsonysw Member Posts: 34
    On the market for the above in socal, so far I get the price MSRP $30,450- 1000 = $29,450. Is this reasonable or should I wait another month. I am not in hurry but is seems hard to get the one with solar panel. Thank you for the advice.
  • luvthesunincaluvthesuninca Member Posts: 17
    That is what I am looking for! Where did you get this price???
    Thx
  • jpeters1970jpeters1970 Member Posts: 82
    Look at Edmunds pricing as that is pretty accurate. Don't pay above list price. PLEASE.
  • sonyswsonysw Member Posts: 34
    I am not so sure what are you responding to but Prius Package 4 with Solar Panel is running around $30,830 at Edmund. Anyway thank you for your response.
  • jpeters1970jpeters1970 Member Posts: 82
    No problem. Sorry I wasn't able to be more helpful. There are other resources besides this site, but due to TOS, we are not permitted to reveal them in our posts as they are competitive with this site.
  • ai24azai24az Member Posts: 1
    can you message me also the sales person you bought from?tahnks