Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• jkgreer2jkgreer2 Member Posts: 42
    I am considering ordering a Pkg III with sunroof/navi package in the color I prefer. One dealer estimates 6 weeks from order date. If anyone has recently ordered a 2010 Prius, how long for delivery? Also, what discount did you negotiate for the ordered car? The car will not be on dealer's lot or inventory for more than 1-2 days.
    Thank you in advance.
  • techfutechfu Member Posts: 6
    What do you guys think? :confuse:

I just got back from Toyota dealership where they were offering me Prius 2010 III with dealer installed heated leather seats (front driver & passenger).

Im very tempted, but held myself to see what you guys think? Is it a good deal?

here is what the breakdown came down to
    $22,400 - '10 Prius III (invoice + destination per the dealer)
    $1100 - for dealer installed heated leather seats

Is it worth the money to have dealer installed heater leather seats?

thank you for your suggestions/comments in advance,
    Fu
  • pupuikopupuiko Member Posts: 6
    I think it's a great price. I just got my 2010 type III for $22,792, plus $200 for the floor mat so total became $22,992.

According to zag.com, for '10 type III ($750 destination charge included):

- Dealer true cost: $22,032
    - Dealer invoice: $22,492

so you are below their invoice
  • lexianlexian Member Posts: 1
    bot Prius V at invoice yesterday in Chicago west suburb. The dealer had 4 prius V in stock and only 1 prius II, they wouldn't discount anything on the II but offer to sell the V with navigation at invoice. Here is what's included:

Prius V in silver metallic with gray interior
    Navigation Package
    1 yr XM Sat subscription with traffic info
    1 yr SaftyConnect
    Floor Mats
    Wheel Locks
    -----------------------------------
    $29000+TTL
    offered 7yr/100k ext warranty for $1400 but declined.

reasonable price?
  • jjotravelerjjotraveler Member Posts: 2
    Prius II or III your message had both. Prius III in Concord NH for 24,170, then Bottom line, Prius II for 20,170
  • cslasorcslasor Member Posts: 15
    I'm wondering if anybody has purchased a 2010 Prius in the Central Florida area in the last month or so, and what kind of pricing they got. Some websites are showing them as selling above MSRP while others show them as selling at or slightly below MSRP. So I'd love to hear some real-time experiences before I head to my dealer.

Thanks.
  • tammy10tammy10 Member Posts: 15
    I actually had this car shipped from a Boston dealer down to Florida because I could not get the Florida dealer to come close to the price up North. I realized this was in part because the fee SouthEastern Toyo dealers have to pay plus the increased shipping cost down here and the higher dealer fees and port installed options.

The sticker on the car in Boston was 26k for a Prius 3 with Nav, mats, and net- I paid 24k plus the 300 doc fee and the 659 shipping.

In Florida, I could not get a dealer under 27 so this was a significant savings for me move than 2k even after I paid shipping.

Expressway Toyota, Dorchester Mass
  • belfast1belfast1 Member Posts: 2
    do you think one even needs the warranty pkg. I was almost ready to buy a Prius and then they sprung the Platinum total care pkg and I did not buy. What do others think of the need for this?
    thaNKS
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    In order for companies to be in business offering extended warranties, they must do what on average? Make money, right? How do they do that - they take in more than they pay out. So on average, do you think paying for an extra warranty whether for a vehicle or TV is worth it? No!
  • njchpdnjchpd Member Posts: 1
    2010 3rd Generation Prius Sale!

You are invited to a silent sale on the 2010 Prius at Earl Stewart Toyota. For the remainder of November 2009, all of our new, in-stock 2010 Prius will be sold at dealer invoice. And, as always at Earl Stewart Toyota, no Dealer Fees. Please note that dealer invoice is not our dead cost. We're still making a profit. Please see below for more details.

This is a legitimate sale. A legitimate sale must have a legitimate reason. We are looking to close our year strong by clearing out our new Prius inventory. This will help us earn more Prius. The number of cars of each model that Toyota allocates to a dealer is based on how fast they sell their inventory. By having this sale, we will earn more Prius going in to the New Year. We will benefit by having a larger inventory of cars that are normally sold at MSRP. This is the strategy that has made us the largest seller of Prius in the Southeast United States.

Here is a current list of our new Prius inventory with MSRP and sale price listed. Again, these prices are plus tax and tag only - no dealer fees or phony markups. These cars are physically here. We have more Prius in our incoming inventory that will also qualify for the sale. We do not expect this inventory to last long.

model

color

MSRP

Sale Price
    2010 Prius II Blizzard Pearl $24393 $23204

2010 Prius II
    Sandy Beach $24719 $23717
    2010 Prius III w/leather Blizzard Pearl $26941 $25292
    2010 Prius III Blizzard Pearl $24794 $23544
    2010 Prius III w/leather & NAV Silver $28072 $26316
    2010 Prius III Black $24874 $23844
    2010 Prius III w/NAV Black $26604 $25311
    2010 Prius III w/NAV Black $27303 $25799
    2010 Prius III Black $23874 $23025
    2010 Prius IV Blizzard Pearl $27494 $26325
    2010 Prius IV Barcelona Red $26575 $25654
    2010 Prius IV Sandy Beach $27374 $26275
    2010 Prius IV w/NAV Blizzard Pearl $29675 $28339
    2010 Prius V Silver $28744 $27560
    2010 Prius V w/NAV Barcelona Red $31224 $29677
    2010 Prius V Winter Gray $29542 $28178

There is still profit behind “dealer invoice.” We’re still making about $500 when selling a Prius at invoice as opposed to an average of approximately $1700 at MSRP. For an even further explanation about dealer invoice vs true dealer cost. Please click on Earl's Blog and read the item entitled, "Holdback or Holdup?"

Thanks,

Earl Stewart Toyota

Your privacy is important to us. If you no longer want to receive these emails, click Here
    Alternatively you may send a written request to the address above.
  • chomerjchomerj Member Posts: 10
    MSRP was $23950 (only extra was $200 floor mats) and I paid $22150. Got a 3.74% rate through the dealer and was very happy with the whole experience (unlike another dopey Toyota dealer I dealt with before). If you are flexible with what they have in stock, now until the end of the year is the best time to buy. Good luck!

Herb Chambers, Boston
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Hey Host...are we going to start having advertisers post their "deals" here?

BTW..the Invoice price for a Prius II is $21,056 and for Prius III is $21,784, so the numbers posted aren't anything special and are not invoice prices. I've seen Prius II's adverstised around here for $22,500 including delivery charge.
  • leodude121leodude121 Member Posts: 3
    If you are interested in buying a Prius soon and live around the Bay Area, Let me know... We can go together and see if we can get a group discount or try to get the best prices.

let me know.

LJ
  • inky3inky3 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I was actually going to go to that Herb Chambers! Can I ask which person you worked with?

Thanks!
    Will Ralph- he's a great guy.
  • inky3inky3 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! I'll look for him.
  • scklingsckling Member Posts: 6
    Bought a Prius II on blizzard pearl with dark gray interior on Black Fridat night in So Cal. Email to many dealers and most are selling either MSRP or just $500-$600 off. Got a call back from Toyota of El Cajon and the manager told me he has a Prius II with MSRP $23786 and he can do $20995, that's $2800 off MSRP!! Sounds too good to be true. It's two hours drive from LA to San Diego and it's already 5pm. Well, I've decided to give it a shot, worst case just waste 4 hours of my time! On my way to the dealership, I still think that there must be some catch in this deal. Turns out I was wrong, deal went very smoothly. He showed me the printout, exactly $20995, plus title, tax, and $55 doc fees. He said he lost $1500 on this car but it's for thanksgiving and grand opening of the dealership. Couldn't be happier!
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Great deal; you'll love the car.
  • joezzhoujoezzhou Member Posts: 1
    in San Diego.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Dang spammers....
  • leffleff Member Posts: 6
    Recently bought a Prius III for $500 under invoice. Great sales experience.

$24350 MSRP (with floor mats and after Toyota's latest price increase). Paid $22491.
  • Sunny369Sunny369 Member Posts: 11
    Anyone recently bought a Prius III in Seattle area? I am wondering if we can get the price below Invoice Price in Seattle area like other places.

Thanks!
  • pdapdapdapda Member Posts: 2
    Hi Leff,

Is this Acton Toyota in MA?

Can you please let me know the person you interacted with?

Thanks,
    Partha.
  • pdapdapdapda Member Posts: 2
    Hi, What is the name of the representative you interacted with?

Thanks, P.
  • kemahjaykemahjay Member Posts: 3
    Got this by e-mail from local Houston dealer today - sounds like BS to me based on what I read here. I don't mind if they don't want to sell me the car for my price, but...

"I'm glad you are doing your research on the prius, however all prius models have to be sold for MSRP or higher ( some dealerships mark them up!), a Toyota edict.
    The only way you can get one cheaper is to go with a color other than pearl white ($220.00 surcharge)
    Sorry to disappoint but this is an extreme highly sought after car and some people are waiting for 3-4 months for certain models ( they are built in japan in very limited numbers)"
  • ni_cani_ca Member Posts: 2
    Prius II in Silver/Dark Gray with carpet mats and cargo organizer for $22,500. MSRP was $23,400 so I got $800 off. Oh, and they threw in a couple of car washes, free first service and free wash and detail during first service because I b*tched and moaned about the fact that they car had 23 miles on it. :-)

This was at Stevens Creek Toyota in the San Francisco Bay Area.
  • kemahjaykemahjay Member Posts: 3
    Got this by e-mail from local Houston dealer today - sounds like BS to me based on what I read here. I don't mind if they don't want to sell me the car for my price, but...

"I'm glad you are doing your research on the prius, however all prius models have to be sold for MSRP or higher ( some dealerships mark them up!), a Toyota edict.
    The only way you can get one cheaper is to go with a color other than pearl white ($220.00 surcharge)
    Sorry to disappoint but this is an extreme highly sought after car and some people are waiting for 3-4 months for certain models ( they are built in japan in very limited numbers)"
  • ni_cani_ca Member Posts: 2
    And, of course I mean *$900* off MSRP.
    Total BS- typical car dealer. I got about $1800 off MSRP in Boston on a Pkg III

Sheer poppycock.
  • ajvajv Member Posts: 8
    Is $24,682 for Prius III with Nav a good price in North East? TTL is going to be additional to $24,682 tag.
    Is $24,682 for Prius III with Nav a good price in North East? TTL is going to be additional to $24,682 tag.

What's the MSRP of the car? What's the dealer's doc. fee? Are their any other dealer fees?
    MSRP $26,200
    Final on road $26,551.92 ( No floor mats :( )
    Final on road $26,551.92 ( No floor mats )

I assume the out-the-door total is the $26,551.92. So, what is the price of the car you're paying and what is the breakdown of the fees?
    MSRP is $26,200
    Invoice price = $24,682
    Car price offered to me = $24,682
    TTL = $1,730
    Processing fee $120.00 ( I know it is BS )
    On road price tag = $26,532
    AJV,

See my prior post re: Expressway Toyo in Boston. I paid 24k even for a three with Nav, mats, net the 300 dollar dealer fee. 26,200 MSRP.

I actually had the car shipped down to me in Florida because I could not touch that deal here.
    Sorry, I mean 24k plus the 300 dollar dealer fee.
    Good deal (IMHO) plus you're not paying to have the car shipped/delivered to you.

Just make sure there are no added/hidden fees and don't take any of the dealer add-ons they try to pressure you with when you are in the finance manager's office.
    Thank carnaught and tammy10 for your opinions. I am going to negotiate for the floor mats to be included. Even if I get the deal from Boston, I will have it to be shipped down to DC Metro area. I think I will end up paying more than what is offered for now.

I will update on the final deal if I go thru with this dealer.
  • leffleff Member Posts: 6
    Unfortunately, Edmunds won't let us post sales person's names.
  • mcribmcrib Member Posts: 19
    Saw a III here in South FL for 31,000+TTL. Options were Nav/Solar Roof/Matts. The dealer was thinking about MSRP pricing but way too much so I left. MSRP was 28,005~ on this car. The sticker had a MAV for 3,990~!!

Looks like I will have to look up north to buy my prius :(
  • sas9sas9 Member Posts: 28
    Black with grey leather, nav, on star, mats, enh pkg, JBL sound system with satelliate radio. I wanted the leather and nav and the car came with all the other goodies. I made my deal over the phone and I felt it was a good deal. I had made a previous deal and it wasn't anywhere close to this deal. Thank goodness I didn't pick that first car up! John Elway Toyota, Ontario - speak to the Fleet manager. He's a good guy and did everything he said.

MSRP $29800
    Invoice $27719
    Paid $28462
    Received a 2010 Prius, pkg IV, w/ Solar & navi pkg this weekend from Beaman's Toyota, Nashville. I highly recommend the dealership for very competitive prices, via the internet salesman. I negotiated a great deal and waited about 5 weeks for the exact combination. After 2 days of driving, the wait was worth it. Drivng the 2010 Prius requires changes to prior driving habits, i.e. modification from rapid starts and need to assess/estimate when to merge or change lanes, but at 44 mpg-50 mpg, I can make changes. If more of America would drive Ford, Toyota or other manuf. hybrids, we could diminish our oil exports from Middle East and move away from meddling in their eco-political affairs. Enough on politics. The Prius is full of technology that makes my prior cars similar to dinosaurs. Will take a week or two to understand all systems. Until I have specific q's, enjoy your Prius, life is short.
  • juekitylorjuekitylor Member Posts: 1
    Paid 23,000 base price for Red 2010 Prius II in Long Island area of NY. The MSRP was listed as 23,729 in the store. Final price 24,661 including tax and fees. Most dealers quoted me 23,400 over the phone. 2 free oil changes. Trade-ins offered, but they also mentioned that donating my car to charity would get a better tax-writeoff (because you list the blue book value). Dealer said they sell at MSRP or even higher due to demand. I went on a rainy day during which they have low demand. Or at least that was the pitch. Said that they refuse people who try to go lower due to the high demand and low profit margin on the car. Another dealer would not go below $23,400.
  • shelly5thshelly5th Member Posts: 3
    This is the same pkg and add-ons I've been looking at. Would you mind telling what you paid for it? I have a 2007 Prius I'm leasing now and am going to give it back and buy the new one.

thanks
    Negotiated about $685 over invoice, plus tag transfer fee. A 'preferred package' of floor mats/first aid kit/trunk mat was added at Port, which added a few $ to negotiated price. No trade in, with down payment $$ and loan $$ from credit union. Had to wait five weeks for ordered car to arrive. Otherwise, dealer moved a car quickly off the lot, the day after it arrived, with 'hold back' $$ coming from Toyota. Expect Jan. & Feb. to be slow months for car sales, due to depressed economy. The 2010 model is Outstanding for inside arrangement. The central dash display provides relevant info across width of display (I prefer). Did I mention 44-50 mpg for first two gas fills?! Good luck & try Beaman Toyota, Nashville, internet sales.
    Mcrib,

It's not just Florida, it's the entire Southeast. The dealers have to pay a fee to the Southeastern Toyo middlleman- I think it's more than 700 dollars- and a higher fee to get the cars down here. Plus you have the prevalance of port installed options.

I saved a couple grand by purchasing up north, even after paying for shipping.
  • sas9sas9 Member Posts: 28
    I couldn't agree with you more about the greatness of the Prius. I love the car and all that it offers. The car rides better than then MBZ I had before the Prius and thankfully, I never have to buy premium gas again. The only thing I can't figure out is why I get better freeway mileage than in stop and go traffic.... I thought it was the other way around?
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    not poppycok but supply and demand economics

if the dealership sells all they get at msrp then why discount-- if you want a discount drive up north and buy one and drive it back down-- Prius's do not do well in on icy streets so in winter months the north dealers do not sell as many as they sell more 4wd and awd during this time so they will discount them to sell them
    its pure market conditions that sets the price
    "I'm glad you are doing your research on the prius, however all prius models have to be sold for MSRP or higher ( some dealerships mark them up!), a Toyota edict."

Sheer poppycock.

not poppycok but supply and demand economics

I disagree; it is "poppycock" or a "crock" or whatever you want to call it. I was told the similar thing by a couple of local dealers, then ended up buying at another local dealer for $1200 under MSRP.