Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• kovy0739kovy0739 Member Posts: 2
    That's what I kind of figured. Do you know what dealers those were? I think they are less willing to negotiate as low right now because of the 0.0% financing, which I'm sure they are eating a chunk of. I'd definitely like to give them a call though,

Thanks!
  • rbslawrbslaw Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to decide whether to buy a used 2010 Pruis III with solar roof package, vehicle shield package, owners rewards package, leather, navigation, rear backup cam. It is $24,250. The car has 4700 miles on it. I would also have to have it shipped at a cost of about $800. Is it worth it given that Toyota might have incentives coming in March? The car is from a dealer but it is not certified but he will certify it for $500 more. If I was to buy new I would want a Prius IV with navi and mats thats it. Any insight or advice would be appreciated.
  • yblue98yblue98 Member Posts: 1
    omg. where? can i have the infor? i went to a few dealers today, all offered me $25.5k OTD .
  • aghoshaghosh Member Posts: 21
    edited February 2010
    Guys,
    I am planing to buy a new prius and here is the dilemma:
    option a) a new prius II at 23K with 0 options
    or

option b) a 2008 prius from Carmax with navigation, leather and backup camera for
    $20849

Which would you go for? Any advice or insights appreciated.
    The used one can be looked at
    Here
  • hvmhvm Member Posts: 8
    You should be able to get a new prius II 2010 for the price of used one based on the prices I have seen in the last two weeks.

Good luck.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    This is not a comparison thread..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• zfishhunterzfishhunter Member Posts: 1
    hello rbslaw i have looked at this prius in TX. its a nice car but as i have seen in the last week dealers are comming down on the 2010 like crazy they went from 5% to 10% off MSRP in about a week at 4 diff dealers look for it to be about 18 to 25 % off MSRP on 2010's by the 2nd or 3rd week in March.... so if you can just hold off alittle longer and then find you a good 32,000 MSRP and offer 24,000 to 25,000 you will find there wanting to sell cars really bad :) hope this helps...
  • mcon22mcon22 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a new 2010 Prius IV with solar roof/ navigation package for exactly $29,000 plus tax, tag & title in NJ. Sticker $31,897
    Are you sure you don't work for toyota sales. How about going to truecar.com and finding out how much you overpaid? You paid at least 10% more than most of your fellow area buyers did. :confuse:
  • girlyberry_pdxgirlyberry_pdx Member Posts: 1
    Vancouver Toyota
    Originally contacted through the Costco auto program
    MSRP 26,580
    Costco Price 25,251
    Negotiated for it for 24,000, out-the-lot (with all fees and registration)
    4.2% APR through Toyota financing (beat my rate from Chase)

Ron Tonkin Toyota offered $24,237 for the same spec

Probably will have better deal later on in March but i'm ok with almost 10% off MSRP.
  • mcon22mcon22 Member Posts: 4
    Just checked truecar.com and I'm not sure if you were looking at the right one, but I paid about $900 LESS than the local, regional, and national averages for the car equipped how I got it.
  • volvooceanvolvoocean Member Posts: 11
    Antwerpen auto in Clarksville, MD has offered $28.832 plus sales tax, title, and tags The msrp is $31,830. They can't do 0% for 60 months but can do 2.9% for 60 months (they will come down 1 point from 3.9%). Also, we get the two years free maintenance from Toyota (the offer ends in April) that I figure to be at least $1,000. I still walked out hoping for a better deal in the coming two weeks.
  • bodidbodid Member Posts: 88
    Carman,

How are you? Glad to see you're still giving advice because I need some. Looking for MF and residuals for a 2010 Prius V, 12K 3yr. lease. Also looking same way for the Hyundai Tucson LTD 4WD. Seems that Toyota is eager to deal as I was walking by a Toyota showroom and a salesperson literally dragged me in. I see that current lease deals for the Prius are good till 4/5. Does the Toyota MF change on the 6th of the month or earlier. I was hoping you could shed light if Toyota will discount deeper as we get into March, and into April.
  • drivingmainedrivingmaine Member Posts: 4
    I got Prius III with Preferred Premium Accessories Package (nothing special - mats, trunk net, applique, First Aid Kit, alloy wheel locks) delivered in Maine:

MSRP: $24,566
    Bought it for $22,300 total (ME sales tax was extra and the dealership does not charge any bogus *doc fees*).

Discount from MSRP: $2,266

I am happy with the deal.
  • mike21mike21mike21mike21 Member Posts: 3
    Looks like 2010 Prius V going for invoice or about $2500 off MSRP.

Now or wait? How much lower? Summer and gas increases are a'coming.

C'mon, give the Prius V some love - chime in!
    This is the latest price graph from truecar.com. Do you see the drop.... Prices have to go much lower based on what the market is willing to pay.

link title
  • sibra74sibra74 Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2010
    Hello all. i am new to this forum. I received a few quotes for a Package 4 with Solar. Can anyone tell me if there is abetter deal to be had. Also, I am seeing a money factor buy rate of .00075% on the forum here but the dealer is swearing that it is .00143. Can anyone confirm.

Anyhow, deal 1 is a dealer demo with less than 500 miles on it:
    MSRP: $31,697
    cap cost: 28,143
    Residual: $19,839
    total d/o: $1000
    Monthly pmt inc tax: $349
    36 mo lease with 12k miles

Deal 2 is brand new:
    MSRP: $31,697
    cap cost: 28,535
    Residual: $19,839
    total d/o: $1200
    Monthly pmt inc tax: $355
    36 mo lease with 12k miles

What deal would be better to go for? i am thinking since one is a dealer demo, they should knock another $500 off...What are your thoughts?
    edited March 2010
    The two deals are so close. Unless you get a much better deal on the demo car, go with the new Prius. I'm assuming the demo car was never titled, correct? I'm looking at a similar deal on a demo that was titled by the dealer so they can't lease it. Wants 29,500 on an MSRP of 31,500. The car has only 75 miles on it.

I just started the process this week but I've got a few initial offers. These offers are the first offers by the dealers and I haven't gotten back to them. Was looking to lease because of the cheap money but was wondering if 2.9% /60 months made any sense since I put on a lot of miles and would probably keep this Prius for at least 5 years if not more.

-Prius V with NAV....29,931.20 (lease deal)...MSRP 31,500

-Prius V with NAV dealer 'Demo' with 75 miles on it....29,500 Certified with 7 years warranty. and 2.9% interest for 60 months....MSRP of 31,500

-Prius V with NAV....28,995...MSRP of 31,500

Prius V no options....28,845

-Prius V Blizzard MSRP of 32,050....29,900 sale price

-Prius V with NAV at 31,500 MSRP...Selling at MSRP...From Manhattan Toyota. Sales mgr. said there's only 1900. of profit in the Prius between MSRP and Invoice and that those dealers quoting me below invoice won't come through with their deals. New York City auto dealers are notorious for highball tactics.

Again, not amazing numbers, but not bad either considering these were dealer first offerings. It seems that the V's are scarce but that's the package I'd prefer (for the LED lights/wheels, and fogs).

Anyone getting similar/dissimilar numbers WITH negotiating? What has been your tact and are you leaving the recall out of it?

Bo
    money factor for March is .00075. It was .00145 in Feb. So the dealer is trying to make up the difference with an inflated MF.
  • lsbdrlsbdr Member Posts: 1
    I am a NYC resident and got the most amazing deal (better than any dealership in all of North Jersey and NYC) from Caldwell Toyota on Bloomfield Ave in NJ. Much to my amazement and contrary to what we hear, the offers and seriousness of car dealers these days (been hunting now, day and night, for 2 solid weeks) you would think cars are flying out of the dealerships! What an ordeal!! Nevertheless, Caldwell Toyota offered me an amazing price less than $300 for a listed price of 30K
    interesting. is the money factor the same nationwide. I'm in the bay area. all of the dealers are quoting the .00143.

If so, I'll go for the demo car (never titled) as long as it's at least $1000 less.
    If you're going to come on to this forum and espouse about the most amazing deal, you need to give us numbers like the MSRP and the selling price. Throwing out a number like "less than 300. for a listed price of 30K is very vague. Otherwise, you sound like a salesperson for the dealership.

Who did you work with there?
  • pr0jectpr0ject Member Posts: 9
    hey guys i am looking for a dealer that is willing to do a great price [truecar] on a package for in the socal area, if you know anyone please email me i will post my experience on here after, peter[at]concordec.com
  • kc3207kc3207 Member Posts: 2
    Offers in Midwest never quite seem to match selling prices on either coast. Very early stages of securing quotes, but best offer so far is Pkg IV with solar sunroof with listed MSRP of $31,430 discounted to $29,612. Discount is $1,818. Decent, but not as good as what others have received. Thoughts/inputs?
  • wantapriuswantaprius Member Posts: 11
    Hi all. This is my 1st post here. I am in the market for a Prius II and last night I went to the dealer for the 1st time. His 1st offer was what the company is offering- 2k down & 199 pm. I didn't make an offer and didn't tell him that I have a trade-in (97 Accord valued by KBB @1800 dealer trade-in & 2700 private party). What is the typical range I should be aiming for? Also, should I just get quotes or start bargaining with them?
    OK went to another dealer this evening. I said I can afford to pay 175 p.m all inclusive after giving my car as down payment....not a dollar more (even for the DMV fees etc.) The salesman said he will call me tomorrow and schedule an appointment to go voer their offer. Any thoughts/suggestions?
  • capplacappla Member Posts: 29
    Are you trying to lease or purchase? What is the negotiated price of the car? Don't be in a rush to sign anything until you educate yourself by reading this board and others. Another good site to check out is truecar.com - here you will get an idea of the prices others are paying.
    edited March 2010
    I want to lease only. I did read through some of the posts; cant find a post on Prius 2. Anyways, I find one thing peculiar. The 1st dealer gave a MSRP price and residual value and didnt give me a selling price whereas the 2nd dealer gave me a much lower MSRP but didnt give me the residual. Not sure if they think I am gonna bite their deal without a fight.
    Lease is for 3yr/36k
    Truecar great price is <21,953
    1st dealer: 2nd dealer:
    MSRP 23,750 22,000
    Residual 16,416 ?
    Money Factor "2.9%" 0.00075
    Both no Acquisition/disposition fee

Any other ideas?
    OK, I got another deal today. Prius 2 680 drive off + 215 pm or Prius 3 for 10 pm more. The other dealer said he would offer a better one tomorrow. Wow... Guys,any thoughts/comments?
  • bunchesbunches Member Posts: 6
    Sibra74,
    I am also in the Bay Area - did you find a dealer to give you the money factor of .00075? Who? I was also quoted .00143 by two dealers. I definitely want the .00075!
    Please let me know what you found out locally.
    Thanks!
  • iteleportiteleport Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,

I bought a Prius III w/ Nav yesterday from Toyota of Palo Alto, California. The experience was pretty good -- and thanks to all the information I found here and on truecar.com I was able to negotiate a great price. $24,000 was the final purchase price (rebate included) and then with taxes and all costs, it was $26,875.21 or thereabouts. I hope this helps someone else. Oh and they included the car mats with this price. Happy to answer any questions people might have. I strongly recommend the dealership, although you should make sure you do your homework beforehand.
  • volvooceanvolvoocean Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2010
    What was your MSRP? What rebate are you referring to? Toyota charges $200 for the mats. Also, did you get the two year maintenance for free? Thanks.
    I have not been able to get that money factor. They all swear its .00143. Not sure what's going on or how I can prove them wrong
  • evahnulahmevahnulahm Member Posts: 19
    edited March 2010
    Ok I got an offer of 297.16/month on a base Prius IV with mats, bumper protector and tint kit for 36 months 12K in the SET. Cap cost is 26K even and 0 down including no first months payment. My dilemma is that the MF in the SET is .00151 so I know i could go a few hours and grab the .00075. Residual is 19,363

What do you guys think about this deal? Think I should try to squeeze the local dealer to try and offset the higher MF or take his deal to the non SET dealer and tell him to match with the lower MF?
  • richiehnt101richiehnt101 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys,
    I leased a Prius III for 3 years, 15K per year, blizzard pearl + floormats for $246.37 sign and drive at Acton Toyota of Littleton (MA). Since this car was leasing for $385+ per month for 12k per year and 2k-3k down when it came out, I'd say I got a good deal no matter what. Bottom feeding the market ain't bad at all and with gas prices probably going back up this summer the value of this lease will increase i think. Also, to maximize my deal I was able to take advantage of the free maintenance offer. I love cars and driving and work as an independent contract personal driver so I am used to the power and luxury of S550's or GL450's and was always skeptical of the Prius since I thought it was overpriced. However after driving it and the deal these days, it's also is hard to beat getting 500-600ish miles on a 12 gal tank on 87
  • iteleportiteleport Member Posts: 2
    The MSRP was 27k, the rebate is the $750 rebate that's currently available on all Prius purchases. The $200 were thrown in as part of the final pre-tax $24k amount. No maintenance was part of the deal.
  • jamedeojamedeo Member Posts: 6
    lsbdr,

I sent a graciously-worded email to Caldwell Toyota requesting their best offers for a lease on the 2010 Prius. Can you please tell me the name of the salesperson you worked with? I rented a 2010 Prius 2 when I was in Arizona (maybe it was a 1...), and loved it. Get back to me here!

J.
  • hihostevohihostevo Member Posts: 59
    I am shopping for a Prius V with Nav Pkg. (white, silver, gold)

The negative is ... (other than wanting a "killer" deal which is a given around here) I have a 2008 Prius Pkg 6 (leather and Nav) with 25k (silver) that I need to trade in.

The current incentives from Toyota expire April 6th... I am "assuming" (yes I know) that whatever is available after the 6th will be better.

Anyone here with any "insider" information on what might change on the 6th?
  • fundrivesfundrives Member Posts: 2
    My friend is in the process of leasing a demo in Philadelphia. She was told to hold off until Tuesday by the dealers because the new incentives. The buzz is good.
  • johnxyzjohnxyz Member Posts: 94
    Does anyone know when the 2011 Prius will hit dealers? Is it a safe bet that all 2011 with have the brake s/w fix? Thanks
  • tai1tai1 Member Posts: 6
    I was told there won't be lease deal after today. Well.. it could be a sale pitch. :confuse: I am in Indiana. The new deal is 2.9% APR for 60 mo.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you bought a new Toyota since Feb or are thinking about it, a reporter wants to hear from you. Email pr@edmunds.com by Wednesday, April 7, 2010.
  • fundrivesfundrives Member Posts: 2
    Doh!
  • johnxyzjohnxyz Member Posts: 94
    Anyone? June, September ,December? I'm trying to plan the selling of my car and I want a 2011 Prius - gotta think the problem w/ the braking s/w would be resolved w/. the new models rather then getting a 2010 today. Thanks
  • richiehnt101richiehnt101 Member Posts: 2
    you might want to think if it is just a software problem with the brakes then all a car would need is a software update just like a computer does. Since it was just redesigned, I don't believe Toyota would have had the time to develop a new regen braking system, test it out, manufacture it, and have them ready for 2011. So whether you get a 2010 or 2011 it is probably gonna be the same car.

I've driven my Prius III for almost 3 weeks now (1800mi) with no problems. Yes the regen brakes don't enjoy a stretch of frequent bumps (I mean washboard like) but all you have to do is press harder on the brakes and it slows down just fine.
  • aauxtaononaauxtaonon Member Posts: 2
    Just anounced 36 months 0%,48 months 1.9%, or 60 months at 1.9%. The Tacoma Washington dealership do $99 over invoice price as well and good till 4/15.
  • streamer1streamer1 Member Posts: 1
    Where was this announced? None of the dealers in my area (Illinois) have any knowledge of this. Best they have is 2.9% in lieu of the $750 rebate.
  • shellzshellz Member Posts: 51
    I just purchased a Prius IV with special paint, solar roof package, mats, window tint, and the vehicle shield package on Tuesday, April 6th.

MSRP for this car was $33,103 including destination and out the door price was $30,413 plus tax, title, and license fees. By my calculations, this price was a $2,690 discount or $273 above Edmund's invoice. I also took advantage of the 2.9% financing for 60 months and the free maintenance for 2 years.

I located and negotiated the price of the vehicle in the morning and picked up the car that night. The winning dealership was Champion Toyota; Joe Myers was my second choice. Overall, a very pleasant experience!
  • pixelroguepixelrogue Member Posts: 2
    Ok.. so when looking through Edmunds site, there is a listing that shows the Prius IV (and packages) with invoice pricing, then MSRP pricing. When speaking w/dealers, almost ALL of them insist the MRSP IS the invoice and won't budge, and refuse to deal w/Edmunds or Consumer Report invoice numbers.

So, for example, Sheliz mentioned he purchased the vehicle for IV/SY for ~30,400k. Edmunds invoice for that same vehicle is 28,338 (24,762 base + 3,564 solar)...maybe the shield/tint/special paint (?) ran the additional 2k?

Anyone successful in working from the invoice numbers and NOT the MSRP/sticker price?
  • pixelroguepixelrogue Member Posts: 2
    Oct. 2010. Rumored to be able to order sunroof w/o having to purchase all the extra bs.