Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• sushiman58sushiman58 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2010
    Wondering how I did compared to other's Smithtown Long Island No hassle was looking at the Camry and decided that driving the 40 miles on the HOV lane each way was worth the extra dollars

got a Prius II with 20K a year lease miles 36 months 60K miles
    Carpet mats
    Took the Platinum warranty 3/80 wanted to be covered as i dont want any suprises So I should be safe for the next 3 years

364 a month
    521 out the door first month 364 and $157 Motor vehicle fees

Purchase option of $13732 after the 36 months

Tell me what you think
  • touchofgreytouchofgrey Member Posts: 3
    I think that you did pretty well given your parameters.

I just leased a Prius II the other day from Royal Palm Toyota here in Florida. The sticker price on the vehicle (including the upcharge for Blizzard White paint, carpet mats and Toyoguard Plus Protection Group) was $24,892. My lease payments for 36 months, 15k miles / year with $2,700 out of pocket and a residual value of $17,500 will be $198.00 per month.
  • miataman4miataman4 Member Posts: 1
    I made a last minute bid tonight on a new Prius that was being auctioned for a PBS fund raiser. To my profound surprise I had the high bid.

This looked like a great deal to me, but I haven't been shopping around. Confirmation from folks here that I'm getting it at a decent price might help to put my wife at ease. I mentioned the auction to her about 20 minutes before bidding closed and said I was thinking of putting in a bid at around $20k. I told her I thought the car would likely fetch a lot more, but I couldn't resist giving it a shot. When I told her I won the auction she thought I was either kidding or nuts.

I hope our two border collies will fit okay!

:shades:
  • dturrdturr Member Posts: 70
    Hi. Did the out of pocket include all the dealer fee's and other stuff associated with a lease. Was the tax and tags on top of that? Thanks
  • msrkumarmsrkumar Member Posts: 8
    I used truecar.com to find the certified 'best price' in my area (Chicago) and emailed that quote to dealers near me. Naperville Toyota had the car I wanted- Blizzard Pearl w Navi and a few PPO options on the lot. They also matched carmax's appraisal of my trade in. I got a good deal. MSRP $31,507; Paid $28652 after the $1000 rebate +tax, title/license. Schaumburg toyota had the certified price on truecar- but I did not go there as they are not near me.
  • sachin24ksachin24k Member Posts: 31
    Can anyone guide on how much should I expect as monthly expense if I buy a Prius for say OTD is $25,000, if I am financing say 90% of the total cost? Please include insurance info also for clarity.

I have enquired with a credit union which offers $18.5 per $1000 auto loan.

thanks in advance
    What is your total expence per month including insurance etc ... (excluding gas)
  • car_a_to_bcar_a_to_b Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Prius II for 21,450$ +DMV/taxes in northern California(bay area). I did my whole negotiation using the edmunds.com dealer contact and just went to dealer & signed the paper. I didn't buy the extended warantty from the dealer. Considering buying it from out of state Toyota dealer with a better deal. If you have any question I will be happy to help.
  • encinlaencinla Member Posts: 1
    Just curious where you heard this about sunroof. I am shopping for Prius now, willing to pay for BlueTooth and better sound system but don't want Nav, etc. that comes with sunroof. I don't know if my current car will last me through Oct. though! Thanks.
  • exbauerexbauer Member Posts: 29
    I purchased a 2010 Prius IV with solar, blizzard pearl charge, and floor and cargo mats for $28,788 including destination. I took the $1,000 rebate and it was $27,788. The MSRP was $31,650 including destination. This was in Chicagoland.
  • emma239emma239 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

i am from the bay area as well and I am looking to buy the 2010 PRIUS II. I got a similar offer from a dealership for 20777+destination+tax and fees. I was hoping if you can share with me where you got your Prius. Thanks.
  • jeesmonjeesmon Member Posts: 2
    I bought Prius II yesterday (5/28) from Toyota of Nashua in Nashua NH

MSRP: 23,817 (including 750 destination)
    Invoice Price: 22,647
    Purchase Price: 21491 + 349 doc fee. No tax in NH

Price includes Carpet Floor Mats & Cargo Mat (200.00) and Wheel locks (67.00)

HTH
  • slarrslarr Member Posts: 1
    Wondering if I can get some feedback.... Just bought a 2010 Prius II at Hometown Toyota in Ontario, OR, for $22,700 (cash) out the door. Car had no extras, except for carpet floor mats. Price paid includes $1284 in ID sales tax (5.8%) and -$750 rebate. We didn't do a lot of research, but my sense is that we got a fairly good deal. True?
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    edited May 2010
    I just bought an out of state in MD new 2010 Toyota Prius IV Winter Gray Metallic/Dark Gray Leather interior with NAV and floor/cargo carpet and 7miles in ODO 12 miles at delivery (after test driven it) for $27,482.00 as follows:

MSRP: $30,030.00
    Sale Price: $27,482.00
    Temp Tag: $19.00
    No tax since the value of my trade-in was more than the sale and will be getting a refund check back...
    Extended Warranty: 7y/100k/0d for $1,400 (not sure if this is a great deal though)

I got also a great deal with my trade-in 2010 4Runner LTD 4WD with NAV and 10,000 miles in ODO that got $5,000 more than in NC in CarMax and I decided to travel 10 hours both ways in MD...

I am also saving $99.00 as I will be doing the final paper work in DMV. Fantastic smooth experience with the delearship is FitzMall in Gaithersburg, MD dealership...
  • edmhuiedmhui Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm also looking for a Prius II in the Bay Area and I'm having trouble getting a quote lower than $21,700. I can use some pointers. Thanks.
  • lingling03lingling03 Member Posts: 1
    Me too. I am in the bay area too, which dealership did you go to?
  • ocuihsocuihs Member Posts: 138
    edited June 2010
    I'm an AAA member in Southern NJ and querying website of AAA Auto Buying Program as I'm posting...

for Prius V (top-line model)....MSRP base $28,820...invoice base $27,383.

AAA member base $27,083 ($300 below invoice)

Base excludes delivery, motor vehicle fees, and taxes.

But the above MSRP and invoice prices are different than Edmunds.com??!!
  • glentini37glentini37 Member Posts: 2
    Overstock.com offers a car pricing service free of charge. It's the same service that AAA members and Consumer Reports members get. I just purchased a 2010 Prius III w/o navigation, including a 7% local and state sales tax, for $23,006 out the door. Overstock.com provides offers from several Toyota dealers within driving distance from your home. If you don't want to be contacted by these dealers you can provide false information on the form. It still sends you the offers on line. I took my printed report to my local Toyota dealer and they met the competition's price quote.
  • djrobsddjrobsd Member Posts: 20
    In some ways I feel like I fell for the trap. In other ways I feel like, maybe the original deal was a trap, but when they pulled my credit and got actual scores, maybe I didn't do too bad. I thought my score was 700, refused to let them pull credit until they made me a deal, once deal was made they pulled credit and it came back 630EX/685TU/630EQ.

Traded in a 2006 Lexus IS-350 with 58k miles, Levinson+Nav+Premium Pkg+Luxury Pkg+bluetooth+spoiler KBB High Trade is $20925 in exc. Car did have some scratches on bumper, so maybe condition is Good rather then excellent for $19775. Loan balance is ~24,600.

New vehicle is Prius 5 w/ Nav & Preferred Premun Accessory Package for a total MSRP w/ destination of $31500.

Dealer gave me a money factor of .00085. After they pulled credit, they told me that this money factor was unheard of for my credit score, but they gave it to me anyway, claiming that they would be loosing their shirts or getting their butts chewed on the deal. LOL

Residual on the contract is listed as $19713.

Down was 1706.99, which breaks down to cap cost red of 539.07, 1st payment of 587.07, title 427, tax on cap cost 47.17, doc prep 48.94, tire fee 8.75, smog 20, electronic dmv fee 29.

So, Gross Cap is 37938.56, cap cost red 539.07, adj cap 37399.50, residual 19713, depreciation 17686.49, and rent of 1747.39 for a base monthly payments of $19433.88. 36 month, 12k mile lease, base payment 539.83, tax 47.24 total 587.07.

My guess is that under normal circumstances, I got a great financing rate, but paid full MSRP for the car, so I really didn't get a good deal.

Throw my trade into the mix, I probably came out 2000 behind.

Throw in the credit score, and it probably all evens out, but I still feel like that first line on the contract "Total Agreed Upon Value of Vehicle being sold" should have been much lower then $31,500!

For the time being, I'll just suck it up and enjoy my new ride - and the fact that I am reducing my contribution to BIG POLLUTERS, just curious what people think about the deal.
  • whitep3whitep3 Member Posts: 1
    Wondering if I can get some advice from you guys:

I am in Chicago and here is the deal I currently have to lease a Prius III:

Term: 36
    Miles: 12,000
    MSRP: $23,800.00
    Negotiated Price: $22,973.00
    RV: $16,184
    MF: 0.0015
    Chicago Tax: 10.25% (Applied to full amount and divded by term)
    Usage Tax: 8.00% (Applied to full amount and divded by term)

= $362.77 / month

Is this is a good deal or should I go back the drawing board?
  • gearguygearguy Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    I would recommend trying the Internet sales route with Toyota of Dartmouth (MA).

I paid cash for a new IV w/o Nav, only extra was 5 floor mats, no extended warranty, and no trade. My searches showed only 2 of these were available within a couple hundred miles.

Dealer charges are below (doesn't include title, tax, registration)

Vehicle Base $25,100
    Documents Fee 299
    Total $25,399

Invoice (asked for it after sale completion) was $25,762. Invoice also states that the dealer is entitled to a $524 reserve and $262 wholesale finance reserve.

Negotiations were over the phone and email. Dealer interactions varied greatly, but I choose the most professional and honest dealer who gave me a good price. I was pleasantly surprised by the laid back buying experience.
  • pragmatist1pragmatist1 Member Posts: 26
    Just came to terms with a Toyota dealer in Framingham, Mass. New Prius II with floor/cargo mats. Red, with tan interior. 21,391 plus doc fee $299. I'll pay registration fees since it's out of state. No tax in CT on high mpg vehicles until 6/30/10. They bring the car to me and meet me at the DMV in my state. No other dealer could come near that price
  • camrnlendycamrnlendy Member Posts: 15
    Just got the same car, picking it up today.

Term: 36
    Miles: 15,000
    MSRP: $23,800
    Negotiated Price: $22,600
    RV: 60%
    MF: .00032
    NYS Tax: 8.63 rolled in
    Bank fee rolled in

Nothing down except first month payment and DMV.

= $273/month lease
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Picked it up the other night for my wife.

Prius III with just mats and the dealer installed remote start

MSRP: $24,750 + remote start ($529 or more)
    Sell price: $23,985 including remote start
    Doc fee: $250
    Plus taxes + tags +title

We did the cheap lease, so paid $288.19 + tax at signing and the same amount will be the monthly payment.

Not the world' best deal, but I thought it was a nice deal. My wife loves the car so far.
  • epsec30epsec30 Member Posts: 1
    Los Angeles area.

Prius III with navigation, blizzard pearl, mats/cargo mat, remote engine start

Invoice: $25,325
    Sell price: $24,500

Total Out the Door
    (including dest, doc fee, tax, title, state tire fee) = $27,306.86

Came with the 2 yrs free maintenance, and got the interest free financing.

Best deal I could find by far.
  • brucelee2brucelee2 Member Posts: 1
    epsec, which dealer in los angeles did you get that great deal. I work for toyota and i have to pay $100 over invoice. blizzard pearl cost $220 extra. so prius 3 with nav and ffloor mats is msrp $2700 Invoice $25,294. so how the heck you get $800 under invoice.. Tell me which dealer it is, I want to buy one myself.
    I think it is a practical deal, coz I did get quite similar deal with one dealer in hollywood, a month ago. In fact a $50 lesser if I remeber it right!
    Can you please provide the dealer's name? Does your sale price $24500 include destination charges?

Thanks,
  • enkiktdenkiktd Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    Quote from epsec30:

Los Angeles area.

Prius III with navigation, blizzard pearl, mats/cargo mat, remote engine start

Invoice: $25,325
    Sell price: $24,500

Total Out the Door (including dest, doc fee, tax, title, state tire fee) = $27,306.86

Came with the 2 yrs free maintenance, and got the interest free financing.

Best deal I could find by far.

-------------------

He said the destination charge was in included in his OTD number ($27,306.86).
  • dkny330dkny330 Member Posts: 31
    Am shopping around and got a price on a Pruis IV with Solar Roof, Remote Start, Wheel Locks and Bumper thingie - 36 mo. lease 12k miles a year, sign and drive (first mo payment + DMV) $356 mo. All taxes are rolled in.

Am getting this as second car so I can drive in HOV lane - is this good or can I do better?
  • chiralchimerachiralchimera Member Posts: 1
    I have an offer for a Prius III with navigation and 6.25% tax for 24800. It's red.

I've spend almost 12 hours a day this week doing all this research and strats to get the lowest bid around my state, thats the best I can come up with a bunch of different cars.
    Have some more details on the Prius IV with Solar Roof Pkg:

MSRP: 32,495
    Selling Price: 29,590
    Some Price Adjustment Thing: $829
    Adj. Price: 30,418
    Residual: 59%
    MF: .000200

Monthly Payment Including Taxes (8.63%) is: $356

So before I jump at this, have not clue if I could do better. And also would anyone know what price adjustment would be?
  • pmaupmau Member Posts: 8
    May I know where you bought this vehicle. Which Toyota. Is it in nevada?

Any information will be helpful.
  • easternguy2easternguy2 Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2010
    dkny330,

Where did you get that deal? I was quoted by 2 dealers Prius III solar roof for $700 down, $350 a mo, which I feel is a little high. I am in NE Ohio I think your deal is very good.
    I got the deal at a dealership on Long Island. However, I decided to go to another dealer and made a better deal on the same car minus the remote start (which I didn't) need.

Got a a Silver Prius IV with Solar Roof Pkg, Carpeted Mats, Wheel locks, Rear Protective Film - MSRP - 31,976. Deal was:

36 mo/12K no - True Sign and Drive (all taxes rolled in, 8.63%) only 1st mo +DMV. Monthly payment is $336 mo. Pick it up tomorrow! :)
    Update: picked up my car yesterday and was told that GAP insurance was not included. This was a surprise and I almost walked out and cancelled the deal - not because it was $6 more a month but because this should have been said during the deal. In the end I knew this was a phenomenal deal and went through with it.

The car is great and I'm paying $342/mo with everything rolled in for the Prius IV, Solar Roof and some other things that added up to a MSRP price of $31,976. Price of car bill of sale is $29,107.33 plus taxes at 8.63% ($1061.62) + $200 GAP + $650 acquisition fee for total $31018.95.
  • easternguy2easternguy2 Member Posts: 14
    dkny330

You really got a great deal. I have a dealer in NE area quoting me III with Solar roof MSRP $28,580 and purchase price of $25,263. However, when I ask for lease payment at that buy price, sign and drive, they are still coming up with $340 a month. I have residual of $17,195. Money factor .00078. Not sure how to calculate what it really should be at that purchase price. But something doesnt add up. It should be closer to $300. It sounds like they are making the calculation at full MSRP. I will try another dealer.
    I don't know what the incentives are like where you live, but here there is dealer cash but it can't be combined with the cheap loan or lease deals. So it is possible the selling price has to go up if you are leasing. I also don't know what the lease taxes are like where you are - here they tax the payment, some places tax the whole car. What about tags, title, and such? Also there is the $650 acquisition fee to be paid. Doc fee and other fees? If you just take your selling price, residual, bank fee, and rate you come up with $279.79 for a normal lease so a sign and drive would be $285 or so. That includes no taxes or these other fees. Add in taxes and some fees and you could hit $340, I suppose. Get the dealer to give you a detailed break down of where the money is going, then run the lease numbers for yourself.
    Hey easternguy

Sounds like you got a good purchase price but the money factor seems high. I got .00020 which amounts to about .5% interest. My residual was at about 60% also - check out these two things especially the money factor - that could be the extra $30 or $40 a month that they are charging you. The money factors are set by Toyota so there shouldn't be any variation.
    The MF can vary by region or by state, but also depends on the credit score of the lessee. The low MFs TFS uses and folks quote here are based on tier 1+ credit.

Where I live, TFS shows .00075 as the Tier 1+ rate right in the offer. For NY, for example, they don't show the rate but you know it is REAL LOW based on the numbers they do show ($179 per month lease).
  • ocstevenocsteven Member Posts: 3
    I'm ready to purchase a 2010 Prius II with no extras. Current price in the forum is around $21,450, or around $750 below invoice. Toyota is also offering 2.9% APR for 60 months with 2 yr free maintenance. I'm wondering if the price on 2010s will drop further after the release of the 2011 model ? Should I go ahead and buy them now or wait till October ? Thanks for your input.
    The old crystal ball question...

Comes up in about every forum this time of year. The answer is we have no idea - it depends on how sales are doing and the supply on cars on hand. In June, they sold 10,998 Prius cars compared to June 2009's number of 12,998 (a drop of 15.4%), year to date 2010 is 66,039 compared to the 1st half of 2009's 55,751 (up 19.2%). In May they moved 14,248, so June is down a good bit. If they still have a lot of cars on the ground, then I would assume low prices and deals will continue -but we will not know July numbers until next month. A strong month of July could mean less incentives for next month.

My advice is if you get a good deal you can live with, then get the car. There could always be better deals later, but there also could be fewer cars to choose from with the colors and options you want. If you have a trade, it will be worth less money once it is another model year older as well.
  • gregg_denvergregg_denver Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a silver Prius III for $22,201 selling price.

Detail -
    24,760 Vehicle Price
    279.00 clear bra
    299.00 theft protection
    -2,137.00 Preferred Customer discount
    -1,000.00 Self financing or cash discount
    22,201 Selling price

With Tax just over $1000 and dealer handling of $499 I was out the door at just over $23,700.

I'm pretty sure this was as good deal as they implied there was no profit and only helped increase their sales numbers.
  • rravinrravin Member Posts: 37
    Can anyone tell me what the August mf and residuals are for the Prius V. I live in Los Angeles and have tier 1 credit. Looking for 36mo and 12k
  • gurpreetagurpreeta Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I am getting a below offer from a bay area dealer. Please suggest if I can do better than the below offer. Also what is the current M.F. for Toyota?

2010 Toyota Prius IV with Solar Sun Roof. This model includes Solar Roof with Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/ Solar Powered Ventillation System and Remote Air Conditioning System, Voice Activated Screen DVD Navigation System, Bluetooth Technology, Integrated Back Up Camera and Safety Connect that includes Collision Notification, Stolen Vehicle Location, Emergency Assistance Button(SOS) , Roadside Assitance, Leather Seats w/ Lumbard Support on Driver Side and Carpet Floor Mat, JBL Stereo AM/FM MP3 6 Disc CD Changer w/ 8 Speaker, Smart Key System w/ Push Button Start and Keyless Remote System.

The Internet /Fleet price is $29,242.00 after rebate plus tax & license.

Thanks
    Thank you Dwynne for a thorough response. Really appreciated !
    Hey Greg,

What city or dealership did you get this from?
  • gregg_denvergregg_denver Member Posts: 2
    My purchase was at Go Toyota in Centennial - on Arapahoe Rd. The whole buying experience went very smooth for me.
  • sibra74sibra74 Member Posts: 7
    Just leased a IV with Solar Roof, rear bumper applique, and mats

- $0 down, 36 mo., 12k miles p/yr, $349 (tax and gap included).

MF was .0009

GAP was around $400 for the 36 month term. I didn't want this, but they requirred it to do the deal.

I leased a level III with NAV in January before the recall issue and put $1500 down, same terms and was at $340 a month inc tax. Ended up selling it and got this one. I swear this one performs better and feels a lot more solid over my previous 2010 prius. I am thinking maybe better quality control has been implemeneted.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Don't need nav but the pre-collision, lanekeep assist and parking assist is intriging. Anyone have opinions on whether it's worth 2k.