Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• marinagirlmarinagirl Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, all. I went back yesterday and canceled everything. With great satisfaction, I may add :P

I used truecar.com and ended up getting the IV (white which is a little more expensive) with solar roof/navigation for 29,158 and got them to include the window tinting. I did the 36 month financing at 0% with nothing down. Based on my research, that's quite good.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Bought my prius IV through truecar and was very happy with the process. And I love this car . The seats are as good or better than any luxury brand I looked at.
    Had to reject the same stuff at closing. You may want to check out Toyota Authorized extended warranties. Got mine for $654 7year/75k miles/zero deduct. Priuschat has them as well as several online dealers.
  • CapeCodCapeCod Member Posts: 117
    I seems like I NEVER ask the right question of the sales person so let me try asking here. I'm looking at 2010 Prius... around 10k for mileage. It appears Toyota will offer me 2.9% financing. I will be buying the car as a certified vehicle. The Certified Warranty gives me 3month/3000 mile bumper to bumper. Here is my question... Is the 3m/3k warranty only in effect if the normal factory warranty (which the car is still under based on age and miles) has run out? I am truly hoping you will say the Factory Warranty transfers to me for the rest of the Bumper to Bumper period (is it 3 year of 5 year I forget). But then I do get the advantage of the 7yr/100k certified power train warranty after the B2B runs out, right??? Damn, I hate buying cars!
    You will not be getting enough of a discount [if any] on a 2010 certfied prius. Buy new or buy an 08 or 09.
  • woodeallenwoodeallen Member Posts: 4
    Just wanted to post details of my transaction:

Purchased a Model III w/ Nav (no other options except floor mats) in Winter Grey for $24,500 in Southern California. Got the 0.9% financing over 48 months. Was also offered the $500 cash back but you have to take that OR the financing, so opted for the 0.9% with nothing down.

Hope this helps ppl out.
  • sanaustinsanaustin Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    Hi All, looking to get a new White Prius II base in Austin and was quoted a Costco price of $22,402 (+TTL) in Austin Texas. Includes $1000 cash-back incentive.

Appreciate any insight if this is a good deal or not. Only additional option on this one is premium mats.

Thanks for the help. With the 2011's coming, want to really be sure if this is worth going for.

Sandeep
  • greenwannabe1greenwannabe1 Member Posts: 3
    Ok, here I am a 48 year old truck and suv owner considering a Prius to replace my Honda Pilot. I must have a truck to tow a trailer once in a while and for DIY type hauling. I was all set to get a new F150 and trade in both vehicles but now am thinking that my limited use of a truck and :confuse: my frugal nature tells me to go for the green---anybody going to talk me down ? We have 4 small dogs and travel 350 miles rountrip to Table Rock lake 10-15 times a year, will I be able to handle this trip in a Prius as well as drive her daily?
    I'm 64 and retired. I bought my prius because I wanted a hatchback with comfy leather seats. It cost 25k. Get about 50mpg. I like the ride and the room. I looked at a Ford Focus and for 8k less and would have been happy with that except no hatchback. I also had a trade-in and the prius dealer really overpaid me so I went with the toyota. If you don't need leather -- a base prius II is in the low 20's. The 2010 Hyundai Elantra is similar sized and selling for 16k.
    I love my Prius and am happy with my choice. Go drive one and test drive others as well. Are you looking for a car with options or is cloth seats-auto-a/c all you want ? In base cars the Camry and Accord are bigger-cheaper and get decent mpg. Pick your poisen.
  • msmbmsmb Member Posts: 41
    I am 61 and bought a base 2010 Prius II. cost was just under 21,000. I have had it since September but only have about 1800 miles on it. So far so good. My mileage is around 48 with a combination of town and highway driving. i find my town driving to be lower than the predicted mileage; it actually pulls down my overall mileage though based on the manufacturers specification you would expect it to be otherwise. But I think that is becasue I do lots of very short trips in town. By the time the car warms up, which uses the gas engine I am at the supermarket. Then the car cools off and must warm up again. The car is really larger than you would expect from the way it looks outside. It is also much quieter than i expected. some noise when revving up to high speed but good. I find that I am driving differently in town. much slower build up of speed, and driving at lower speeds. i am not sure if this is causing me to improve my gas mileage or just the opposite. You should be just fine on your regular trips. I would bet that you average around 49 mpg or better. This car does not drive like a race car; but gives you a good, solid ride. The only thing I might do differently is I might have bought the radar feature to keep you in the lane and make sure you do not get too close to another vehicle. But that would be the case with any vehicle that offered those options.
  • rebdrebd Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2010
    Yesterday I purchased a 2010 Prius (IV) Silver Ext / Ash leather with options as listed below.

Prius IV (26,600) plus the delivery/handling fee (775). Plus distributor installed options: Carpet Mats and Trunk Mat (msrp 399.00), Nano Heat Rejection Window Tint (msrp 399.00), Rear Bumper Protector (msrp 99.00). Dealer installed aftermarket option: A (50-genk4535) Int rear view mirror with camera, homelink and compass (msrp "900") Total Options Msrp = $1797

The total (pre-tax/tag) sticker price with all the options = "$29,172.10"

My negotiated cost (pre-tax/tag) for the Prius IV and all the options above was 25,060.84 plus a dealer fee 699= $25760.79

Taxes (after trade-in) 1006.96, Reg/title/tag 125.00, elec filing 98 and misc etc 9.25= $1239.21

The total "out the door" cost including taxes and fees= $27,000.

I also had a trade-in allowance of $9500 for a 2006 Prius III with 55k miles.
    Subtracting my trade-in allowance, my out the door difference was $17,500.

I will also get reimbursed the difference of dealer charges for the tag/title fees vs the actual cost. Perhaps I could have done a little better, but overall I'm very pleased with my purchase given the time and energy I put into it. So far I'm averaging 53 mpg!
  • filmherofilmhero Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,
    I just bought a Prius V with the Technology package (Blue exterior, dark grey leather), with 2 year free service. My out the door cost was 30k even. You think I got a decent deal?
    Thanks!
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    I bought my Barcelona Red two weeks ago. I paid slightly more than $26,000, but I was also upside down on my trade by about $1,300 which was factored in the final price for the cap cost on my lease. I'm loving it so far! My favorite feature is the 50+ mpg on last 2 tanks, and the keyless entry.
  • pmagganpmaggan Member Posts: 62
    You got the Technology package for $30k out the door? Or is it the Navigation package? Seems like a great deal to me. Please let me know which dealer. I'd be willing to travel to NOVA for that deal. Thanks.
  • bruin19bruin19 Member Posts: 3
    Hi bond4james, thanks for the info. Does your price ($24,500) include CA State Tax or did you calculate that separately? Thanks in advance.
  • sachin24ksachin24k Member Posts: 31
    I got my Prius III with Navi in SoCal for $24000 with floor mats , GAP was $500 and security alarm for another $500 extra. $0 down for 3 years, 12000 miles (red) for $304 per month.
  • davehkingdavehking Member Posts: 1
    Got my Prius III for around $22K (without Tax. Licen. Doc fees) in S.CA
  • dan19dan19 Member Posts: 10
    Paid 29,350 for a Prius V, tech package (include Navi), floor and cargo mats, pin striping, bumper guard, ToyoGuard paint/seat protection; price includes $595 dealer prep. Got this price thru USAA. Bought in GA while I live in TN. I still have to pay the sales taxes. I think I got a great deal.
    Which dealer? I am looking for a Prius V with Navi. Thanks.
    I just tried USAA and it's giving me a price of $31,499+ tax for the Prius V with tech package. I already have quotes of $28,560+ tax for a Prius V with navigation package from a dealer in KY and one in OH.
  • dan19dan19 Member Posts: 10
    I bought my car from Marietta Toyota in Marietta, GA. The USAA price varies by city and by week. When I first started looking, I was quoted the price that I eventually paid. One week later, though, the price at the same dealership had gone up over $1,000. They would honor the original price on only the one Prius V with Tech Pkg that they had in stock. It was my last choice in colors, black, but the price was right. Good luck in your search. Be sure to regularly check the USAA prices. Perhaps your timing will be right like mine was.
    Thanks. Doesn't look like Marietta has any more Vs with Tech. Although the Tech package isn't what I'm really looking for, I may have to see if I can come close to matching your deal. If not, I'll probably just get the V with Navigation package, which is what I originally wanted anyway.
  • filmherofilmhero Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for the delay. It was Fairfax Toyota, OTD was 30,500. Tech package and Nav, 17in wheels, every option except the sun roof which isn't available on the V.
    Good luck.
  • nomorejeepsnomorejeeps Member Posts: 3
    hi,
    can you tell me which dealer you got your Prius III at? I'm also looking for one in SoCal. Thanks.
  • cheapskate8cheapskate8 Member Posts: 34
    I have an offer to me for a new 2010 Prius II for $19800 (after $1500 rebate) + ttl. What is the lowest anyone has recieved on one so far? I want to squeeze for every dollar at year end.
  • needacar21needacar21 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2010
    What is the best possible OUT OF DOOR price for a Prius 2010, III with Navigation package. Please let me know.
  • kingsfan2kingsfan2 Member Posts: 22
    Best price I've seen in N.CA is 19,888 at Fremont Toyota.
    Where did you get the 19800? I'm looking for a level II in the
    Sacramento area.
  • markf57markf57 Member Posts: 38
    I believe you have squozen ever dollar. Does it have any options at that price?
  • nate39nate39 Member Posts: 2
    I best price they quoted me for 2010 Prius II is 21553 at Sportscity Toyota in Dallas, tX. Is there any other place to get a better price?
    Thanks
    Nat
  • nate39nate39 Member Posts: 2
    How did you negotiate the price, Can you please suggest me some tips.
    Thanks
    Nat
  • kentmasterkentmaster Member Posts: 1
    I got quote (out of the door price) from dealer for 2010 prius II "$23285.00" without any packages? It 's good price, any good deal around Bay area? I know they have $1500 cash back promotion now.
  • stillageekstillageek Member Posts: 114
    edited December 2010
    Paid $25973 (excluding TT&L) For a Blizzard Pearl Prius IV no nav or sunroof. Had the following Gulf States Distributor Add-Ons

pecial Color: $220
    Window Tint: $299
    - (Compliant With The Laws Of La, Tx, Ar, Ok, And Ms)
    Vehicle Shield Package: $349
    - Lusterizing Sealant
    - Sound Shield
    - Sealant Cleaner
    - Rental Car Assistance
    Owner Rewards Package: $600
    - "spider" Net
    - Rear Bumper Protector
    - Premium Carpet Mat Set
    - Door Sill Enhancements
    - Carpet Floor Mats
    - Trunk Mat

Sticker was $28,473. Got 0% for 5 years in lieu of the $1000 Toyota Rebate. Great car. We already have a 2004.
    Check http://fitzmall.com. They usually have the lowest prices and all pricing is listed online. Purchased a Camry from them last year and none of my local dealers would match their price.
  • wormyonewormyone Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a prius II for $21000 + 0% apr from grappone in NH. Seems like a good deal based on what I've seen here. What I'm less sure about is the extended warranty: $1170 to extend to 8 years or 75,000 mi (also financed at 0%). Should I keep it (I guess I have a month to decide)?
    A 7 year 75k toyota warranty cost me $651. Go to priuschat -- register and search for the warranty. Two or three dealers sell direct at that cost. My dealer matched that price.
  • roboladyrobolady Member Posts: 1
    We went to Toyota Scion of Wallingford. We started to negotiate at Consumer Reports recommendation which was 24,293. Of course he was not going for it. We then told them we did our homework and this is what consumer report suggested and showed them the True Market Price that edmunds gives which was 24,687. He laughed and said Edmunds does not sell cars and we don't review cars. They don't know what they are talking about. He wanted around 25300. I told him my bottom line was 24,800. He would not accept the price and we walked out.
    Went to the local dealer to sit in a Prius for the first time during the middle of the week when no other customers were there. I let the salesman knowing I was debating waiting on the 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. As we were walking to the car the sales manager comes out to introduce himself. He asked what I thought and I told him Fremont had 5 advertised at $19800 and asked if he would match. He didn't hesitate and said yes. I then asked if I still get the military on top of that making it $19300 and he said yes. In Cali doc fee is limited to $55. My only sticking point is I don't want to pay Cali taxes wich is $1K more than my home state of Florida. I probably call Carson City, NV to see if they will match and let me pay FL taxes. Otherwise I will take leave fly home and buy...atleast the money saved will pay for the trip home.
  • needacar21needacar21 Member Posts: 2
    Is $24800 out-of-door tag title prius iii, with navigation & solar package. Is this right price?
  • duckypingduckyping Member Posts: 3
    hi:
    can you tell me which dealer you went to for that price?
    Vacaville, but remember it is who you talk to and what you say. They know if you leave to go to another dealer the odds of coming back is slim.
    OK, so who should I speak to? (Who did you speak to to get this deal?) Should I just walk in and be like, "I know someone who got a Prius from you for 19,800, and I know you can give me the same deal"? Or should I be more coy?

Thanks for the advice in advance, this is my first car purchase ever and I need all the help I can get!
    Also...FYI
    I called Carson City, NV to see if they will do the tax thing, too...as I am a resident of PA and my taxes are 6% there...the guy I spoke to (I forget his name, but he was really nice, someone in the finance department) said that they would call the DMV or whatever relevant agencies in my county in PA (including perhaps another car dealership) to figure out what the taxes would be there, and then they would issue a check or something to cover the difference of what I would pay in NV taxes towards my registration fees in PA, so theoretically, I would be only paying PA taxes for the vehicle.
    Hope this helps!
  • mard940mard940 Member Posts: 4
    we just just picked up a toyota prius III navi and blizzard pearl updraded color for 24555 from our credit union broker-
    AutoNation Direct
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with recent car-buyers and car-shoppers who strongly considered the impact of rising gasoline prices when making a purchase decision.
    Please email your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com by Friday, January 7, 2010 to be interviewed.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• justsukayrahjustsukayrah Member Posts: 2
    Just got a 2011 Prius IV with Solar Package for $28,000 (MSRP $32,115, Invoice $30,407). Leased for $389 down, $309/month for 15,000 miles per year in Raleigh, NC.

How does that compare? They gave me a great trade in as well @ full Kelly Blue Book. Is this a decent deal?

Thanks in advance!
  • stockmanjoestockmanjoe Member Posts: 353
    You dont have to buy it in FL. Just buy it out in CA and register it in FL - where you will pay the taxes. I bought a car in MD and registered it in FL it is no big deal.
    Unfortunately CA state law is if you buy and take delivery in CA the dealer is required to collect CA tax. I bought my Odessey from a CA dealer, but had them deliver it to the first exit past the state line, savings was close to $3K. This law is keeping me from buying the Prius here. I'll just wait to go on leave and buy elsewhere. Another example of CA chasing business outside the state. ...future Prius owner
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is interested in talking with recent owners ( within the last month) or people who are considering purchasing a hybrid or a pickup truck. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than 12pm PST on March 1st, 2011 and include your name, state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and your phone number.
  • stockmanjoestockmanjoe Member Posts: 353
    edited March 2011
    I see. I'd never heard of that before but people tell me that it is the same thing in VA. If you buy the car there you have to pay their taxes. In TN active duty pay no sales taxes on new car purchases if you show the dealer a set of your orders.
  • lasaablasaab Member Posts: 8
    Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out the best possible lease deal available in California (I'm based in Los Angeles) for a Prius IV. Looking to lease something by April 1.

I don't really care about any of the upgrade options other than leather and navigation, but from what I'm told it makes more sense to get the Prius IV than to look for a Prius III with these two things added.

I want a lease for 24 or 36 months, don't want to put anything other than tax/title/tags down, and need 12k miles per year.

I'd love to get as close to $300 a month including tax as possible. Is that realistic? Whats rates and deals are out there?

Also, are they still leasing 2010 models or do I have to get a 2011 model (and is there a big difference in the models?)?

Thanks!
    A
  • bondguy1bondguy1 Member Posts: 231
    I am currently leasing a Buick Enclave (huge gas guzzler)...about 18 MPG. My lease is up in early June...I am over by about 9K miles at .15/mile. Locally, here in Florida, they are offering 0% financing on 2011's in 3,4 or 5 year financing. They don't discount from sticker but 0%. I know I want either the IV or V model....not sure I care to spend more on the V for a self parking thing I don't need. I haven't even driven one yet and am planning to go to my local dealer this coming weekend. Need help on options that are good to have. I do like the remote a/c start thing. I have remote engine start on my Enclave and it is great in the hot days of Florida to have the car cooled before I get inside. I need leather seats (either package). And, we purchased at a one price dealer 7 years ago in Manchester, NH (named Autofair Totyota). It was a great experience. They arranged trucking it to FL and financing too. I don't mind going out of state but I don't want to get a better price up front and pay for it on the financing back end percentage. Any help would be appreciated...thanks in advance. BTW, my Sienna XLE Limited (2004) is still going strong....just broke 159K miles and never a day of problems.