Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius Lease Questions

Comments

• lashopperlashopper Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to lease a 2010 Prius IV for my wife here in Los Angeles. We found a:

Black Prius IV 2010
    leather interior
    nav system
    sunroof
    tinted windows
    all the usual amenities
    Cost: approx $31,000

We were quoted by a local dealer $1,000 down to include first months payment, tax, title, drive-off, etc and $375/month for a 36 month lease. We weren't planning on car shopping and I have no idea if that is a decent deal. Originally he wanted $481/month but started offering less without being asked. Does anyone know current lease rates for a 2010 Prius IV (including nav and sunroof/solar panel) for SoCal? Thanks.
  • nlproductionsnlproductions Member Posts: 25
    :cry: I have always used Edmunds/ Car Man when leasing but I posted on the 13th and can’t seem to get a response. I would really like to buy before year end.

Does anyone know when the Prius lease special that is currently advertised on the 2010 Prius ends?

I would like the money factor (lowest available) and residual assuming the sweet spot is 36 months on 12K and 15K. Does anyone have the money factor and residual?
  • azkals911azkals911 Member Posts: 4
    The January 2011 Deal is

$289 for 35 months.

$0 due at signing.

for a Prius II
  • redrumkevredrumkev Member Posts: 6
    Hello all,

Today, my uncle got a Prius II on a 36mo/15k lease for $0 due (sign and drive) for a total payment of $305 (for 35 months), which includes Michigan Sales Tax (6%). So it breaks down like this:

$ 287.73 payment
    $ 17.27 MI Sales Tax
    ------------
    $ 305.00 Payment
    35 Payments
    ------------
    $ 10,675

My question, I like the Prius IV, I was wondering what the residuals are for the 36 month, 12k and 15k and what a good price would be to shoot for, so I can calculate a lease. Or even better, a lease example. I am looking for all options.

Thank you and hope this helps someone else!
  • redrumkevredrumkev Member Posts: 6
    Can someone also add to my posting above (#318) in regards to a Prius V as well as the Prius IV, not sure which I like more.

Thank you,
  • nlproductionsnlproductions Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2011
    I initially posted on December 13th requesting information for the money factor and residual specials for the Prius Redrumkev and sadly, I have received no assistance from anyone at Edmunds. I hope you have better luck than me. I am not sure if this board is even moderated any more.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi nlproductions. We're definitely monitoring this board, but Toyota's lease program is very regional and unfortunately I have not seen its lease program for your area recently. Sorry that I could not be of more help.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • robhangdog823robhangdog823 Member Posts: 17
    Best deal I was offered in NYC/Long Island area for 36 month 12k per yr lease on 2010
    Prius 3:

With 1st month and DMV only up-front:
    Monthly Payment: $292
    Residual Buyout: $14,518 (61%)

Problem is I'd like to wait until the 2011 comes out but they're telling me not until late Feb early March and the price will go up on lease.

Please let me know if anyone else is getting better numbers.

Thanks.
  • mary37mary37 Member Posts: 4
    Hello Carman,
    I want to lease a 2011 Prius in the Atlanta market. I would like a 3 year, 12000 mile, $0 down lease for a Prius IV.

I would be appreciative for information on what I should pay per month for this?

Also, I wondered what the current Toyota money factor rate would be for this lease along with the Residual?

I am finding that the dealer seems to want to push the Prius II. I was quoted $249.00 per month for the II and $477.00 for the IV with a 39 month lease. I think the latter is a bit high. I would love to be in the $375.00 per month range.

Any help you could offer would be great. I always enjoy reading about other people experiences and am glad this forum exisits! Thank you. Mary
  • bimmrrbimmrr Member Posts: 3
    Anyone have an idea as to what Toyota will be offering for a lease deal or finance deal after the current ones expire on the existing 2010 models on January 31 ? Don't really need to do
    anything for a couple of months but if no leases or finance deals ( 0% for 60 months) will be offered might make sense to get one before 1/31
    Thanks,
    Mike
  • tobysmithnytobysmithny Member Posts: 1
    Today I put down $2300 (all incl.) on a prius iii and got 15K month for $239 in Smithtown, NY. Hope this helps.
  • justsukayrahjustsukayrah Member Posts: 2
    Just got a 2011 Prius IV with Solar Package for $28,000 (MSRP $32,115, Invoice $30,407). Leased for $389 down, $309/month for 15,000 miles per year in Raleigh, NC.

How does that compare? They gave me a great trade in as well @ full Kelly Blue Book. Is this a decent deal?

Thanks in advance!
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    :confuse: Your deal on the surface sounds goood but your trade is obviously the key in getting your payments low. I'm wondering why you even had to put $389 down with your trade? No way to get your payment and term without the trade involved. More info needed to truly judge the merits of your deal.
  • killingbeekillingbee Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I'm just wondering how you got that price?
    I live in CA and the best price I could get was 31790(selling price).

so,
    Toyota Prius 4 w/SOLAR ROOF PACKAGE
    msrp 31790
    selling price 28889
    bank fee 595
    doc fee 50
    selling + fees 29534
    net cap cost 29534
    factor 0.00155
    residual 22253(70%)
    term 36
    depreciation 202.25
    finance 80.26985
    Monthly payment 310.0655354(after 9.75% tax)

But still I couldn't get the deal yet.
    is there anything wrong with my calculation?
    can someone help me out here?

thanks
    I guess I'm wrong with residual.
    I used last year's residual.
    but it seems like it can't even reach 65% now.
  • lch77lch77 Member Posts: 53
    I just started looking and was told that the attractive lease rates apply only to the 2010 models. For Feb., the money factor is a very low .00010. The residual is dependent on which version and option packages as certain options do not add to the residual value. Either way, 70% or even 65% sounds extremely high for a 36-month lease. Can anyone else confirm this or know the value?

Kinnlingbee: Your calculations are correct, but, as I said 65% sounds high. Your money factor is equal to 3.72%, which is reasonable, but if you drop the residual down to 58%, your monthly lease goes up to $420. I guess we need to find out what the residuals are for each model and year.

With gas prices expected to rise, the dealer said she did not expect the deals to be as attractive on the 2011 even though there are virtually no changes. Also, and I might have misunderstood this, the 2011 models (maybe it's the 2012 models?) have numbers (1, 2, 3, & 4) instead of the previous Roman Numerals, but the new Prius V will be a station wagon.
    edited February 2011
    Its is true that all good lease rate is for 2010 models.
    What I know about 2011 models is that its about 55%~58% with 0.0012 money factor.
    and Prius 3 w/ JBL can easily go over $350 and w/Solar pkg would go over $400.

So, I decided not to go for Prius this time.

here some ruff calculation I did if anyone interested :P

2011 down MP month total tax mpg gas main. total
    civic LX 0, 180, 36, 6480, 632, 26, 4500, 960, 12572
    camry LE 0, 259, 35, 9065, 884, 22, 5318, 270, 15537
    accord EX 0, 260, 35, 9100, 887, 23, 5087, 960, 16034

2010 down MP month total tax mpg gas main. total
    prius 2 1999, 259, 36, 11323, 1104, 51, 2294, 270, 14991
    prius 2 0, 319, 35, 11165, 1089, 51, 2294, 270, 14818

So if I want to go for 2011 Prius 3 then I need to pay more then 2011 Accord EX.
    The deal I got so far for 2011 Prius is $0 1st payment $0 drive-0ff
    $345(include tax) with JBL and $410(include tax) with Solar pkg for 12k miles/36 month lease.
    It is about $2000 more then 2010 Prius 3.

*) gas price I used is $3.25 and maintenance is based on the factory recommended regular routine.

So, now I'm looking at 2011 Accord EX-L or 2012 Volvo S60.
    If I don't get the number I want then probably just wait for the Sonata Hybrid($25000 MSRP)
  • lasaablasaab Member Posts: 8
    Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out the best possible lease deal available in California (I'm based in Los Angeles) for a Prius IV. Looking to lease something by April 1.

I don't really care about any of the upgrade options other than leather and navigation, but from what I'm told it makes more sense to get the Prius IV than to look for a Prius III with these two things added.

I want a lease for 24 or 36 months, don't want to put anything other than tax/title/tags down, and need 12k miles per year.

I'd love to get as close to $300 a month including tax as possible. Is that realistic?

Also, are they still leasing 2010 models or do I have to get a 2011 model (and is there a big difference in the models?)?

Thanks!
    A
  • evahnulahmevahnulahm Member Posts: 19
    Maybe you should check out what South East Toyota does before you try and tell me I am wrong. SET is completely different than any other region in the US because the guy that owns the franchises never sold his rights back to Toyota.

Plus the fact that I actually executed a deal kind of proves me right, dontcha think?

So when you go to lease a Toyota in the SET they have something called "Residual Assistance", which is not a deduction due to taking less miles or something like that, it is a straight adder to the calculated residual. I believe the residual is not calculated on options but the assistance helps to offset it.
  • mankumanku Member Posts: 76
    Having just leased a III with NAV this past weekend here in LA, I would say you would be fortunate to get one for $400 with tax.

Also, something you may not know, but Toyota doesn't include GAP insurance in their leases...you need to buy it in the finance department (or maybe your insurance company can cover you)...they charge about $15-17/month for that...so tack that on to the above payment.

Good luck.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to interview someone who is having trouble finding a new Prius at a dealership. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Thursday, March 31, 2011 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• zoranzoran Member Posts: 69
    When will 2012 Plug in or small prius be available?
  • nc_driver1nc_driver1 Member Posts: 56
    Hi Car Man,
    Could you provide information about the Prius' lease program and incentives in North Carolina?

Many thanks in advance.
  • socal18socal18 Member Posts: 2
    Have an deal on the table for a 2011 Prius III with Nav and Solar / Moon roof. $26,850 purchase price, 12,000 miles, 36-month lease, $15,800 residual for $385 / month (including taxes etc.).

There is a good chance I guy the car off the lease but wanted the optionality of a lease. Any thoughts on that deal? Any more levers I can try to pull?
  • witt168witt168 Member Posts: 23
    Does anyone know what is the Money Factor & residual for 2011 Prius II now?

I'm in Los Angeles and looking for 36 months with 12,000 mile.

Thanks.
    Hi Car Man,

I'm in Los Angeles area and was quoted Money Factor of .00025 and 57% Residual for Prius II for 36 months/ 36,000 miles.

Does those number sound right?

Thanks
  • no_to_cono_to_co Member Posts: 8
    Any news on what the MF and Residuals for December are? I was told it's 0.0002 and 57% for a prius II. Any ideas what it is for a prius III? (36 months/36,000 miles)

Many thanks!
    Hi no to co,

I was quoted 0.00025 and 60%.

Not sure if this is correct since no movement in this thread for a while.
  • tastecklertasteckler Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2011
    Below is the deal sent to me by a local Toyota dealer for a Prius II. The previous lowest quote I had gotten was $306/mo. (including 7% tax) for 39 mos. with only first payment down. This one is $268/mo. (tax included) for 39 mos. with first payment plus $21 for title fee for a total of $289 due at signing. It seems like a good deal, but I would appreciate any insight (no pun intended) into the deal that anyone might have.

Trade(s) Allowance: $0.00
    ACV of Trade(s): $0.00
    Pay Off of Trade(s): $0.00
    Equity in Trade(s): $0.00
    Customer Cash/Rebate: $289.20
    Total Cash/Rebate/Equity: $289.20
    Inception Fees: $289.20
    Excess Cash/Rebate/Equity: $0.00

Advance
    Original MSRP: $24,634.00
    MSRP Discounts: $0.00
    MSRP Adjustments: -$34.00
    Adjusted MSRP: $24,600.00
    Maximum Advance: $25,329.00
    Residual Value: (59.00%) $14,514.00
    Mileage Adj: (0) + 2.00% $492.00
    Annual Miles: 12000
    Excess Miles: N/A $0.00
    Adjusted Residual Value: $15,006.00

Rates
    Discount / Buy Rate: 0.001130
    Adjusted / Sell Rate: 0.001130

Deal
    Warranty Cost: N/A
    Warranty Charge: N/A
    Dealer Cost: $23,907.00
    Selling Price: $22,407.00
    Price Adjustment: $0.00
    Adjusted Selling Price: $22,407.00
    Down Payment: $0.00
    Down Payment Tax: $0.00
    Assignment Fee: $695.00

Cap Cost
    Total Cap. Cost: $23,102.00

Profit
    Vehicle Mark-Up: -$1,500.00
    Warranty Mark-Up: $0.00
    Paid Reserve: $0.00
    Dealer Incentive: $0.00
    Trade(s) Over Allowance: $0.00
    Total Profit: -$1,500.00

Summary
    Payment Recap: 39 Months @
    $250.65 + 7.00% = $268.20
  • cmyawncmyawn Member Posts: 51
    Car_man or kyfdx,

Are there any Toyota lease incentives coming in January for a Prius IV, 36 months, 12,000 miles per year?

If so, what is the money factor and residual percentage?

Any cash back/rebates?
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Anyone know the lease numbers for the Prius V two or three? 36 month lease, 15k miles per year. My wife has a Prius III and loves it, but would like the larger car she thinks.

No lease specials are shown on the online sources so I am guessing the "Standard lease rates" apply which equals "bad deal".

Thanks
    Hi cmyawn. In most of the areas that I have seen Toyota's programs for...and there's a lot of them, 12 different regions...Toyota is not currently providing any lease support on the 2012 Prius.

If that is indeed the case in your area and you were to lease one through Toyota Financial Services right now, you would have to use its standard lease money factor. The last time that I checked, TFS' buy rate standard lease money factor was .00200 for Tier 1+ customers.

As far as the residual value goes, TFS' published 36-month, 12,000 mile per year residual value for the 2012 Prius IV is 63%. Having said that, TFS calculates vehicles residual values differently than most other banks do. It places restrictions and caps on the options that can be reisualized. This not only makes its real-world residual values lower than its published base model percentages initially appear, but it makes it very difficult for individual consumers to work up lease payments on their own.

I don't believe that Toyota is currently providing any cash incentives on leases of this car.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey dwynne. While as you suspected Toyota is not currently providing any lease support on the Prius, its standard lease program isn't too bad. TFS' current buy rate standard lease money factor is .00200 for consumers who qualify for its Tier 1+ credit tier. That's equivalent to an interest rate of around 4.8%. While in today's low rate environment that's certainly nothing to write home about, historically speaking it's not too bad.

TFS' current 36-month, 15,000 mile per year residual value for the 2012 Prius V is 58%, but please see my previous post as to why this number is misleading.

Car_man
    Host
    Do the TFS money factors and residuals vary by region?

I am in the Cincy region and the dealer says 0.00220 is the rate. Could be dealer markup (rare in a Toyota) or different region? Your rate would save about $10 a month on the payment, tax included - so not a deal breaker. The rate in any case is not good.

From the actual invoice of a V three it works out to 58.7% of MSRP including the two (inexpensive) options. On the invoice of V two with more options it works out to 57.9%. Options are not something you want if leasing from TFS :)

My wife's current III is leased at 0.00075 (1.8%) and 63.5% - a much better deal.

Thanks
  • cessna10cessna10 Member Posts: 4
    first lease, 2011 Prius II, I would like to install mudflaps but not having leased before I am not sure what the implications would be at lease end. I have emailed customer service but it goes in a loop of check with, check with, check with, no definitive answer. I would appreciate any info from someone who has ended a lease with non factory/dealer accessories installed. I would expect to leave the flaps on at lease end.

thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    If it's a Toyota accessory that is commonly added (like mudflaps), then there will be no issues at lease end..

Big wing spoiler, curb feelers or padded vinyl roof? Then, you might have a problem.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• cessna10cessna10 Member Posts: 4
    thanks for the reply, the part that seems to be causing the conflict is that mudflaps are not on the Toyota accessory list. The parts would have to be aftermarket, so that may be what is causing the uncertanity. It may be wiser to go without and use the $200 to repair any chips before the vehicle is returned. With all the "customer support contacts, videos, and contact numbers" provided by the mfg it should not be quite this difficult to receive a definitive answer.
    Hey dwynne. Toyota's lease program does indeed often vary by region. Toyota Financial Services' current buy rate for the 2012 Prius in its Cincinnati region is .00117 for consumers who qualify for its Tier 1+ credit tier. You can actually see this for yourself and show it to the dealer by looking at the fine print of Toyota's official advertised lease payment for this car in your area. Here's a link:

http://www.buyatoyota.com/Specials/SpecialOffersDetails.aspx?series=prius3rdgen

Just click on the lease offer and look at the fine print. It's right in there.

The dealers definitely look like they are trying to mark the money factor up on you.

Car_man
    Host
  • masterfaldomasterfaldo Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car Man,

I saw an incentive Lease on the Toyota site for 2011's but nothing currently for 2012's in my area (Oregon).

Looks like current incentives go through 03/05 so I am assuming updates on 03/06.

Any insight as to any new lease factors on the 2012's? I got quotes from 3 different dealerships but all were very high payments (like $300 per month with $2500 down), even though prices were pretty good - about $1000 off MSRP.
    Anyone have their TFS Prius lease handy? What is the minimum tread depth on a lease return?

Thanks
  • zoranzoran Member Posts: 69
    If any one interested pm me.
    Thanks
  • jbp7jbp7 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,

I'm looking to lease the above, my first leased vehicle and have shopped around 3 dealerships in LA area.
    Santa Monica are offering me this on 12k miles per annum.
    Driveoff $5,000
    $420.96 + tax = $457.79
    I feel this is pretty good but would really appreciate any expert information before I sign on the dotted line tomorrow ! I hear step two, the 'Finance chap' is the person to be wary of !? I am so tired of the 'battle' always believing that getting a new car ought be a pleasure ! I sincerely thank you in anticipation of any wise advice and support you may offer..JBP7
  • alsnook123alsnook123 Member Posts: 15
    I'm in North Carolina,,,,and was offered $369 includes tax, no money down, 39 month lease, 12k miles.... Carolinas sales tax rate is 3%.

The lease has to make sense....if it does not you are better off purchasing the vehicle.
  • alsnook123alsnook123 Member Posts: 15
    $369 per month.....offered to me back in April..
  • bakkerjbakkerj Member Posts: 9
    Car Man et al.,

In the market. Leasing a Plug In Advanced in the next few weeks.

What money factor and residual is TFS providing?

Is it ever worthwhile to find a bank to do a leasing transaction rather than using dealer financing?

Thanks,

John
  • redhat381redhat381 Member Posts: 26
    Hi Car_Man.

I can't find the money factor in the fine print. Perhaps they changed it since your last post. Can you tell me Toyota's current MF and depreciation (3 year lease) for a Prius package two? Tier-1 credit. Thank you.
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    edited September 2012
    I just closed a Lease deal for a 3 year/60,000 mile lease on a new 2012 Prius 2 this evening.

The MONEY FACTOR for the new 2012 Prius 2 is .00142

The current lease on my 2010 Toyota Camry LE was coming to an end in 3 months on December 12th and I needed to turn in the vehicle because it already has an an 11,000 mile "overage" on it. When I initially leased it back in 2009, I negotiated the lease with 18,000 miles per year for 3 years with a total of 54,000 miles.

I was able to lease the 2012 Prius 2 in Blizzard Pearl White for 3 years/60,000 miles. I wanted the 60,000 miles because I drive a lot and I put between 20,000 to 24,000 miles per year on my vehicle. I couldn't do otherwise on the mileage selection that I made.

The dealership rolled in the last 4 payments of the lease which was a total of $624.04 and also rolled in the mileage overage charges which was a total of $1,647.90 into the new Prius 2 lease vehicle.

I was ALSO able to get the Agreed Value Price for the Prius 2 for $24,033.36 which was around $1,240 LESS than the MSRP Price of around $25,273 which also included the destination charges in the MSRP.
    The dealer showed me their Dealer Invoice Price for the Prius 2 that I wanted and it was around $24,200.

I put $4,000 down for the Prius 2 and my current payment is $404 per month which includes the Gap Insurance.

The $4,000 that I put down includes the:
    1. Title & Registration Fees
    2. Capitalization Cost Reduction
    3. First Monthly Payment
    4. Tax on Capitalized Cost Reduction
    5. Administration Fee

Is the 3 Year/60,000 mile Lease for $404 per month that I got on the new 2012 Prius 2 a good deal considering that I was upside down in my old lease vehicle???
    Did I get a good overall lease deal or did I overpay for everything???
  • joepojoepo Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2012
    Hi Car_man,

Can you please provide the Nov. money factor and residual value for 3 year/36k miles for 2012 and 2013 Prius II.

Thanks much,
    Joe
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking for people who have shopped or bought either a Prius V or a Ford C-Max hybrid as an "alternative family car." If you'd like to share your experience, please send and e-mail to pr@edmunds.com by December 10, 2012.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Bit of a follow-up request, thanks for relying!

A reporter is looking for people who have shopped or own a Prius V If you'd like to share your experience, please send and e-mail to pr@edmunds.com by December 10, 2012.