Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Dead Battery

kaiwkaiw Member Posts: 8
edited July 2014 in Ford
I just bought an 09 Escape last night. It has 30 miles on it. This morning it didn't want to start. Yes, with just 30 miles. I called Roadside Assistance and they came in 15 minutes, found the battery was dead. He showed me there's a sign on the battery showing red. They did the jump start. I drove to the dealership. They tested the battery and said it was broken and gave me a new battery.

I have nothing to complain about their support/service. But the initial quality (or quality control) could be better. I hope this is just the battery itself and not something worse causing this.

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Even with the best quaity control, odds are that there will be an occasional defect that makes its way into the hands of a customer.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    No big deal here buddy. My Escape when I bought it brand new in 2004 had a bad battery from the start. The dealership replaced it and voila! The dead battery syndrome is quite common on new vehicles because they sit on the shipping yard and on the dealerships lot for so long with out running that the batteries loose their charge to the point that they become bad. This has nothing to do with initial quality from Ford, if any it has to do with the lack of attention on the specific dealership to keep the batteries charged and in good health.

On a positive note you got a brand new battery out of this!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    good point. what was the build date of the vehicle?
    to be honest, i am skeptical of posters who's first posts are about some obscure problem.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    There's nothing wrong with seeking a little reassurance after investing heavily in some vehicle.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kaiwkaiw Member Posts: 8
    the VIN ends with B27xxx, don't know exactly the build date though
    Thanks. I figure the same. I still have faith on Ford.
    One thing for sure, I definitely feel better after reading posts from your guys. Thanks a lot!!
    our 09 ending with B40... was built in January 09. There is a sticker on the drivers side front door. the date (mm/yy) is at the top left.
    mine was built in 12/08
    i hope your new battery makes everything ok.
    one time my wife bought a new car.
    she took it to a store, and called me to tell me it was totally dead.
    the remote to unlock the doors wouldn't even work.
    i drove over to check out the car.
    by accident, i discovered the battery cables were loose.
    i tightened them up and the car was ok, until the battery went bad years later.
  • pats1pats1 Member Posts: 36
    I completely agree with the other posters - the battery problem is not indicative of Ford's QC program and/or the vehicle's overall reliability. Ford and other car makers should take a lesson from VW. Did you ever see their (VW) cars come off the transport trucks? They have a solar cell attached inside the front windshield to keep the battery charged. They send the solar cells back and re-use them. Probably saves them a ton of $$$$ on batteries and battery-related warranty issues from new car buyers.
  • ksshkssh Member Posts: 1
    My daughter has a new 2009 ford escape and she is on her fourth battery. They keep telling her the battery is bad. Can one vehicle really get three bad batteries in a row? The problem seems to be if it isn't used for a few days the battery goes dead and she has to call and have it jumped. She brings it back to where it was purchased and they tell her it was just a bad battery. Any ideas as to what she should do? I asked them about the GEM module and they laughed at me. Do you think she should pursue the Lemon Law? Same problem three times in a row? The vehicle now has 10,000 miles on it.
  • bobincintibobincinti Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2009 Mercury Mariner and I am having the same problem. The Mariner is basically the Escape. I have had this problem twice now. The 1st time I blamed myself because I left a cell phone charger plugged in and the car sat for a couple of days.

This time I let the Mariner sit for about 1.5 weeks because it does not have 4 wheel drive and we have had a lot of snow. I made sure everything was turned off, unplugged, etc. Went to drive it today and the battery was dead. I didn't have time to deal with it this morning, so I drove my 2001 Nissan Frontier to work today.

Sounds to me like Ford has a electrical problem in these vehicles. The dealer is going to check it out and the electrical system. But I am skeptical if this will solve the problem.
  • pdmclaypdmclay Member Posts: 4
    Does she keep a cell phone charger on in the car?
This discussion has been closed.