Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercury Mountaineer Severe Rubbing when Turning

dan642dan642 Member Posts: 1
edited June 2014 in Mercury
2002 Mountaineer AWD. When turning, it almost feels like you are breaking. This has been a minor issue since I purchased it new, but problem has gotten alot worse more recently. It also recently started getting abnormal tire wear on inside edge of front tires. I had a front end alignment about 3 months ago and put back tires on front (60-70% tread left) and new ones on back. This weekend, one of front tires went flat. After getting tire off, I saw that cords were showing on inside edge. Today, I replaced the two front tires and took vehicle to Ford dealer for front end alignment/diagnosis. They say it is transfer case - $2,100. Does this seem like the correct diagnosis and reasonable cost? Dealer also said that it is unsafe to drive. I want to unload it but was hoping to get a few more weeks out of it (with current transfer case) while I was shopping for something else. Dealer said that if it goes, I will have to replace core too? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Comments

• Options
    freewheelin2freewheelin2 Member Posts: 5
    what size tires do you have ,because it should be 265/65 17,that could be 1 problem ,or the belt could be busted in the tire,or you may need tie rods
This discussion has been closed.