Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• loma1loma1 Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll take a look at those:)

Gary
  • sdeamesdeame Member Posts: 14
    I am looking at the SR5 and the Limited and wondering what I should expect for a deal.

Is Invoice- 1000 rebate realistic?

I am located in Boston
  • mybenjemybenje Member Posts: 18
    I can save about $1500 on a 01 4Runner SR5 4WD compared to a 2002. Is there any difference between the two trucks, I am interested in the VSC and Traction Control, the only difference I see is the look of the rims, Is the sport package the same? how about the interior and exterior colors?

Thanks
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    I don't have a 2001 or 2002, but I'm pretty sure that the Sport Packages of 2001 and 2002 are different. I think it's to get the 2002's out of the way to make room for the 2003's later. I think there was also some difference in interior as well, but I'm not really sure about exterior.
  • edmartedmart Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1997 4Runner, 2WD, 4cyl, AT. How often should the timing belt be replaced? How much should I have to pay to have it done? Can most any mechanic do this or do I need to find someone with Toyota experience?

Thanks
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Your 4 cylinder doesn't have a timing belt. Only the V6 does. You have a timing chain, and that needs replaced only when it starts making noise. Figure at least 120K miles.
    Gas pedal sticks in the idle position (not in the accelerated position, Thank God!, it always goes back to idle). It is most annoying from a dead stop, but I also notice it when accelerating at higher RPMs. The dealer said there was some carbon buildup and a cylinder had to be replaced - $125. There's got to be an easy, inexpensive way to solve this. Do you know of one?

Automatic antennae will not go up or down. The motor runs when it is supposed to though. When I open the passenger door, I can see the little booger, but can't get to it. Can't get close to it under the hood. Do I have to take the wheel well lining (cover?) off to get to this motor to find out what's wrong? Do you think I need a new motor?, antennae?, what?
    Keep in mind that I am not a mechanic. I am a bit baffled though by the gas pedal sticking. Isn't it supposed to stick at idle or am I missing something here?

As to the antennae, I don't know. Sorry, but you'll have to ask somebody who has looked at it closer.
    (1997 4Runner, 2WD, 4Cyl, AT)

Here's what happens...

If the vehicle sits at an idle for several seconds (like at a stop light), when I attempt to accelerate, the pedal has a little "stick" to it. Once I push hard enough to break the stickiness, it accelerates OK, but the vehicle jumps or lunges. I can't smoothly accelerate from a dead stop. It also happens if I am cruising down the hi-way and want to accelerate (but not as sticky).

As I said, it does not stick when I release the accelerator. It goes back to the idle position. It only sticks when I attemp to accelerate from any position.

Thanks cliffy1 or anyone else who can contribute.
    Has anybody upgraded the stock speakers, and maybe added an amp? I want to upgrade the stock stereo, but like the setup of the stock headunit. It has large buttons, a volume know and a tuning knob. Replacement headunits that I've looked at almost never have all three. I also prefer the way the stock headunit looks in the center stack, as opposed to almost all aftermarket headunits. Maybe I've just been "spoiled" by the stock headunit.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Apline makes some really nice replacements. Not too expensive either. Blaupunkts are also good but the alpines sound better. They stay nice & crisp when the volume increases.
  • cufishingcufishing Member Posts: 1
    Most likely cause of the sticking pedal at idle is a dirty throttle plate. You can clean it yourself with a $2 can of carb/throttle cleaner and a tooth brush. With the engine off, remove the main air hose (loosen hose clamp) to the throttle body to get at the plate, you can move it by hand to clean around the edges. For the broken antenna - you need to replace the antenna mast assembly because the plastic gear teeth are stripped, again very easy to do yourself if you have a 1996 or newer Runner. Mine broke on my '97 just two weeks ago. The mast assembly was $45 from my local dealer. Start with the radio off (antenna down) and unscrew and remove the 3/4" diameter metal ring located below the tip of the mast. Have someone turn on the radio while you hold on to the mast assembly while it is ejected out by the motor. Then take the new assembly and thread the plastic gear down into the hole with the gear teeth facing forward while your helper turns the radio off - the motor will engage the gear teeth and pull the new assembly back down into place. You may have to turn the radio on & off one or two more times to get the mast to fully retrack. Hope this helps.
  • jkbeantownjkbeantown Member Posts: 3
    I also live in the Boston area and have been looking for a 2001/2002 4Runner (Ltd or SR5 w/ Sport Pkg). So far the dealers I've talked to aren't giving up much in price. Probably because they do not have many, or any, 4Runners in stock. I have got quotes from on-line sources like AutoByTel and CarsDirect with a 3% to 4.5% mark up above invoice. When speaking with the local AutoByTel rep, he tells me that the 4Runner is a profit vehicle for the dealers in this area and they will sell the few they have for the best price they can get. He also told me that you are more likely to get a better deal on an SR5 vs. a Limited due to the fact that there are many more SR5's produced when compared to Limiteds.
    If you already have not been there, you may want to try Boch Toyota in Norwood, as they had the largest selection of 4Runners (about 15 new 2002's as of 11/18) in stock that I've seen. I don't work for Boch and I've never dealt with them, yet, so you're on your own if you go there.
    Good luck, and please let me know how you make out with your purchase.
  • sailing216sailing216 Member Posts: 98
    I bought an 87 4Runner back in 97 with 120k on the Odometer. If you are going that old, I recommend finding one with a 5-speed or new AT. I, nor my mechanic worried about the mileage, it was the other stuff. Check all the little things that will need replaced and bigger things like timing chain/belt. One major problem with early 90s and late 80s 4Runners is that there is a known rust problem over the rear wheel wells. On pre-91' models it's a once piece design and practically half the side of the truck--very expensive. Really look on the ouside and inside of the wheel wells. I rolled mine a year later on ice, and when the wrecker flipped the truck off of it's roof, instead of winching the thing onto the flatbed, they drove the mangled truck onto the flatbed. The tires were flat, the whole frame was bend probably 5 degrees off and the roll bar in the back and just over your head saved from serious injury. I still sold the old truck for $500 to a guy who was going to part out the engine. An old jeep may look good, but will rust just as fast and its engine will strand you. Hell, I've seen more new jeeps do that.
  • autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    Hey, Thanks a lot for your input! Sorry to hear about your '87 4Runner, though. I know I should go with my better judgement and stay with a 4Runner, but I thought I would throw the Jeep idea out there anyway. Did you mean in your reply that the transmissions (automatic) aren't very good in those earlier years in the 4Runner or that they were possibly abused by their previous owners?
  • jkulp42757jkulp42757 Member Posts: 83
    Hi folks,

Last April I decided to buy a Tacoma Double Cab, but after seeing the 4Runner at the lot I decided to save the extra cash and wait till I could get a 4Runner. Well now I am ready to get a 4Runner and I hear and read all kinds of rumors as to when the next 4Runner will be coming out. I have heard anytime, Feb 2002, and August 2002.

Does anyone have any concrete answers on this? If the new Runner is coming out in Feb I guess I will wait on it, however if it isn't until August I will go ahead and buy a 2002.

Also, I have heard both that the 4Runner will be getting bigger, and that it will be getting smaller. Anyone know which is correct?? My local Toyota dealer says he doesn't have any details.

Thanks !!!!!
    I read on another board that the automatic transmission could be reprogrammed by removing the ECM fuse then replacing it. Is that true? If so, how would that work? Take out the fuse and drive, and the transmission will "learn" how to shift according to how you drive? Does anybody know another way to "reteach" the transmission to shift (so that it shifts more smoothly)?
  • rljslickrljslick Member Posts: 59
    I asked the same thing just a few weeks ago, and no one seem to have anything concrete. The best I could find out on Edmunds and over the net was that it was a larger truck with a V8 with a possible third roll of seats. The eariest I've heard was 2003! Sorry that's all that I could squeeze out of anyone! I hope to get a 4Runner sometimes after the February Milwaukee Car Show! BTW I wouldn't want anything bigger then what the 4Runner is now. It's hard to think of the 4Runner as a mid-size SUV.
  • sunny44sunny44 Member Posts: 5
    I'm glad to see that my 2001 4Runner is apparently not the only one with this noise!

My 4Runner has only 1400 miles on it now, and this clicking noise started soon after I bought it (new). The dealer's mechanics (who have been very nice to work with) says it's a relay switch in the ABS brake system. They replaced one switch in a box thing under the hood, but no luck. Then today, the "regional guy" was there and tells them it's normal. Is it really? Is there any way to quiet it? It's fairly obnoxious.

I also have a rattle noise in the dash that they are trying to fix. I love the 4runner, I always wanted one. I live in Colorado and do a lot of driving in snow and on semi-rugged dirt roads, etc. I had a corolla for 6 years with no problems, so had no hesitation buying another Toyota. But these noise issues have me a little fed up! Any solutions? Please???? Cliffy, any comments? (Everyone seems to refer to you!)

Cathy in Colorado
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    jf01: Re your idea of pulling the fuse to reprogram the tranny - instead, I've heard that you disconnect the battery, and leave it disconnected for 30 minutes, so that the charge drains out of certain items (processors?). Then reconnect and start driving, and the systems will reset themselves working with a clean slate.

I am not electrically inclined, but this sounded plausible to me.
  • tclemonstclemons Member Posts: 31
    My son in interested in a Certified Pre-Owned 98 4Runner SR5, V-6, 5-speed, leather, sun-roof, single CD, alloys, etc. It has 35K miles and the asking price is $22,900. Any ideas if this seems reasonable? It appears to be in line with KBB and Edmunds. Any known problems to look out for? It is definitely a good looking/driving vehicle. Any comments? TIA.
  • cevans2cevans2 Member Posts: 23
    Anybody out there have any experience with aftermarket 3rd row seats or mobile video systems? I'm considering both and am looking for suggestions. My 98 4runner has the moonroof which looks like it might interfere with the flip-down type monitors for video system but I'm told it can be done.
    I've seen it done and it works. As long as you choose the right installer, this can look like a factory job. We use a company called Sure Fit in Arlington VA and they do a great job. You may want to ask your folks for references.
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    Is the anticipation killing anyone as much as it is me on the 2003 redesign? You have to commend/curse Toyota for being able to keep the lid on any leaks concerning the new 4Runner.

Prediction - The redesign is presented at the New York auto show in April. This is the last major US show of which would enable a full scale rollout of a 2003 model.

I was in Costa Rica this past May and on the streets in San Jose near the Toyota dealer. Anyway, there was this stunning brand new Toyota SUV that drove by, that was not based on any U.S. Toyota SUV's that I could recognize. Someone on here had mentioned it might be a "HiLux", but correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the non-US HiLux was a four door with a truck bed.

The vehicle resembled somewhat a Land Rover Discovery, with the higher roofline and taller windows. It had Toyota badges though, I am sure.
    Maybe it was the redesigned 4Runner, maybe not. But it didn't look like it was based on any Toyota, U.S. or non U.S.

I think it is a safe bet that it will definitely have more power available and it will have a third seat option.

If anyone has any info or links, please post.
    With the market in the US the way it is you can be sure it will be a larger, if not much larger truck. I keep hearing V8 and third roll of seats. Not sure if I would like a larger 4Runner, but it should be interesting!
  • fourrunnerfourrunner Member Posts: 17
    Since I posted my note a few weeks ago, I pay more attention to this clicking sound. It does look like something to do with the break since it only appears when I apply break. Of course, it is only occasionally you hear the clicking when you apply the break. Again, I bet there are more 4runner owner noticing this. When I take my car in for scheduled service, I will ask my dealer. Meanwhile, I will keep my radio on all the time so that I would not be disturbed by this sound. Believe me, compared with the story my friend told me about his new SUV (P.S. IT is not a Toyota), 4Runner is a much better choice.
    I don't know if this will help any of you, but allow me to tell you about a similar click I had on my Tundra. Every time I hit the brake, I could hear a faint click. It was very consistent. I could even predict the exact moment it would happen. I talked to my shop guys and they seemed a bit baffled and said not to worry about it. The noise went away about 6 months ago. The braking never seemed affected.
    Thanks guys, for your responses re the ABS click. It does seem less obvious now, for some reason. Not nearly as bothersome. And the Toyota shop where I bought the truck did fix the rattle in the dash. They were great about it. Very nice dealership.

So I'm now back in love with my new 4Runner!

However, as a novice 4WD driver, can someone give me the basic lesson in when to switch to 4WD and how best to do that? I did read the explanation in the other forum, but it's probably more than I need to know at the moment. Thanks!

Cathy
    > Believe me, compared with the story my friend told me about his new SUV (P.S. IT is not a Toyota), 4Runner is a much better choice. <

Do tell. What happened to him? Not to gloat -- I like to hear stories that confirm i made the right choice in spending so much for a 4Runner!

Cathy
  • jasanjasan Member Posts: 12
    I was at the dealership the other day, while I was looking through some documentation I came across a nice diagram of the VSC system. In my particular case the click happens infrequently, only when slowing and is coming from the passenger side. If you can get your hands on a diagram of the VSC system you'll notice that in the engine compartment (close to the cab) on the passenger side is the deceleration sensor. The diagram doesn't give any insight as to what happens when decelerating but I would guess that this is the source of the clicking. I believe 2001 was the first year of VSC on the Runner, if everyone else who is experiencing this has a 2001 or later than I would take bets on it.
    Cliffy,
    Does your Tundra have VSC?
    I only wish the Tundra came with VSC. I'm hoping they add it for 2003 because that is when my lease is up.

I also want to comment on the click that I reported yesterday. I was wrong. The click is still there! It seems I had just ignored it for the past 6 months, but this discussion caused me to listen for it last night. Sure enough, it is still there. It happens when the pedal passes the half way point and does it every time. Ya'll made me aware of it again. It will probably take me another 6 months to begin ignoring it again!
    This is getting more interesting. Last night, it was the first time. I heard a small click when I slowed my 4runner (2001 - 1500 miles)down for an expected stop sign ahead of me. This time I did not apply any break and only take my foot away from accelerator. Now, I must agree with Jasan. This is not related to ABS. It is some kind of on/off switch to control something. It must be designed for this way. I guess Toyota may make this controller too sensitive but they must have a good reason. To safe our life is a good reason. Again, I trust Toyota quality. Do you know if Toyota has a website we can post this question to them? Sorry. I could not disclose the model and story about my friend's SUV on the internet. Regardless, I likes the car and my son (11 years old) was so excited when I told him he could have this 4runner when he turns 17.
  • bwjones1bwjones1 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2002 4Runner that we took to see the in-laws up in Jackson over the Thanksgiving weekend and it really would have been nice to have a few extra horsepower as the transmission would abruptly downshift on hills providing for a bit of a jerkey ride for passengers. My guess is that even 20 or 30 extra horsepower would have eliminated this problem. Therefore, does anyone here have the TRD supercharger? If so, what sort of fuel economy are you seing? How much do they cost? Two dealers here claim to know nothing about the TRD supercharger.
    The TRD supercharger costs about $3000 plus installation and adds something like 75 HP. Fuel economy may actually go up. It takes about 300 miles of driving with it before the engine computer figures out how to use all the extra air.
    >>>
    I was at the dealership the other day, while I was looking through some documentation I came across a nice diagram of the VSC system. In my particular case the click happens infrequently, only when slowing and is coming from the passenger side. If you can get your hands on a diagram of the VSC system you'll notice that in the engine compartment (close to the cab) on the passenger side is the deceleration sensor. The diagram doesn't give any insight as to what happens when decelerating but I would guess that this is the source of the clicking. I believe 2001 was the first year of VSC on the Runner, if everyone else who is experiencing this has a 2001 or later than I would take bets on it. <<<<

Interesting. You did nail the location of the click -- the passenger side. When the mechanic at my dealership looked for it, with me there, it did seem to be coming from the ABS system -- we could feel it passing through the sensors in a box on the passenger side under the hood. But perhaps it originates in the VSC system. They said they looked at some 2002s, and it happens on them, too.

I'm going to keep on them to find a way to quiet it, so i'll pass on this info. Thanks.

Cathy
    >>>>>>>>>
    I also want to comment on the click that I reported yesterday. I was wrong. The click is still there! It seems I had just ignored it for the past 6 months, but this discussion caused me to listen for it last night. Sure enough, it is still there. It happens when the pedal passes the half way point and does it every time. Ya'll made me aware of it again. It will probably take me another 6 months to begin ignoring it again!
    <<<<<<<

Sorry 'bout that!

Cathy
  • joey26joey26 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a clicking or vibration sound, emanating from under the passenger side dash. The clicking only seems to occur at idle with the truck in gear, whether the brake is engaged or not. I believe that the sound is due to a vibration that occurs when the engine is idling.
    Does anybody know how much a supercharger would add to resale value down the road? Or how much a current (2nd gen) supercharger would be worth in a few years (probably more than 7 or 8 years). Thanks.
  • fordnightmarefordnightmare Member Posts: 40
    Cliffy,

Is 3K a good price for the supercharger or could they be had for under 2K?
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    jf01: My guess is that a supercharger would hurt resale value, unless you found a buyer that cared as much about it as the seller.

I would never buy a vehicle that had an aftermarket supercharger. I'd take that to mean the seller drove it hard and fast, and shortened its life. But maybe that's just me.
    I think dead cost to the dealer is about $2600 without installation.
    I was also kinda thinking that I wouldn't buy a vehicle with a supercharger already in it...it probably would have been better to put "do to resale value." But I'm also wondering if a dealer would view it the same way, in terms of trade-in. Would dealers likely deduct because of a supercharger, or just look at the mileage and general condition of the vehicle?
    I sat in a new 4Runner Limited the other day while I was getting the old Rav-4 oil changed, and I noticed that the 4Runner sit high and the front windows was low, and very small. Have any of you 4Runner people had issue with that?
  • 4winns4winns Member Posts: 7
    I own a 2001 4Runner Limited and have reviewed most postings (Edmunds and other 4Runner sites)related to the clicking/popping sound heard by owners of 2001 and 2002 4Runners. The sound originates in the ABS/Traction Control/Skid Control system. The sound was not noticed on Runners until Toyota decided to make the system standard on all Runners in 2001. Like others on this site my dealer told me the sound is normal.

I am a devoted fan of Toyota. I have owned Toyotas since 1985 and have never been disappointed by their quality, dependability, or design. However, I am frustrated that Toyota would design a braking/control system that checks and rechecks itself and when doing so is loud enough that an owner must turn up the radio to drown out the sound. I also find it hard to believe that this is the same system used on Landcruisers and Lexus'. Most owners of luxury vehicles expect a quiet vehicle. Not one that goes "hisssssss click" when it is braked to a stop!!

I hope Toyota is listening and develops a TSB to address the clicking sound problem. I apologize for the whining.

Thanks.
    Thank you 4winns. Your note really summarizes the source of the sound. I guess we need to accept that this feature is designed by Toyota to keep the 4runner safe. We need to step back and be happy with what we bought so that we can enjoy the car. I am still fully convinced we made a right choice. Of course, I wish I could afford BMW or Mercedes SUV but ...
  • goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    I hate to sound like a moron, but I need to ask about changing the rear wiper on my 1995 4Runner.

I got this vehicle a year ago, and nowadays the rear wiper does about as good a job at removing water/dirt as the Miami Heat do at winning NBA games. There's plenty of movement, plenty of action, but in the end it's disappointing.

When at rest, the wiper arm is tucked up under the rear wind deflector and seems to be locked in place, making a wiper change difficult without "reefing" on it. As an alternative method, should I put the key in the ignition, turn it to the "Accessories" position, activate the rear wiper, and then turn the key off in mid-swipe in order to freeze the arm halfway through its cycle and then change the wiper?

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Yeah, you Heat fans are having a tough season, I'm a big Bucks fan!

Go Bucks!
  • jasanjasan Member Posts: 12
    I tested the traction and skid control systems on my Runner today (first snow since I have had it). First I would like to say that before the 4 Runner I had a 97 Blazer (nice SUV but it has a long way to go before it's competitive with the Toyota) which for all intensive purposes was good in the snow. Today I can justify spending the extra cash for the 4 Runner. While taking off from a stop sign I tried to get the "Truck" sideways (not a problem with the Blazer), nothing doing, the VSC light came on and the "Truck" straightened right out, during this time the tires started spinning and the traction control kicked in. During my 20 minute commute to work this morning I got the drivers side tires in some deep stuff (60MPH on the highway!!!), the VSC kicked in again as did my heart and away I went.
    The engineering that went into this truck is excellent, the systems work very well together. If I have to live with the click than so be it, I would rather have the click as a reminder that these systems are in place than be CLICKLESS and not have them at all. 4Winns you are probably right, I would be willing to bet that the CLICK isn't present on either the Lexus or the Cruiser.
    It's a rather strange phenomenon since the system on the Runner is supposedly the child of the VSC on the Lexus. Maybe a Lexus test drive is in order.
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    I saw a posting on another site. The post said he saw a new 4Runner with a V6 4.0L 245 HP and 283 ft/lb torque. I know we have heard rumor's of a V8. Actually a V6 makes sense, but I have no idea how valid this post is.

http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000842.html

• magchasemagchase Member Posts: 16
    2002 4Runner Sport with 1,050 miles.
    Is it normal when the car is running cold for the transmission to remain in 2nd gear as I'm driving in the 25 to 35 mph range? It doesn't shift "up" to third until the 35+ mph range. When warm, shifting seems to be within a more normal range.
    Thanks in advance.
    And...yes, I also am experiencing the annoying and obnoxious clicking/popping sound. There's got to be a solution rather than simply accepting that this is normal. We owned a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Can we say, "LEMON?") and all of its problems were always referred to as "that's the way it's supposed to be." I certainly hope I'm not in for another Jeep experience!
    cw