Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Mercedes Benz C300

cville3637cville3637 Member Posts: 7
I bought a 2008 Mercedes Benz C300 and I want to know if the dealer warranty covers paint chips on the car.

Comments

• cville3637cville3637 Member Posts: 7
    I would like to know anybody that has bought from this same dealer and how is your experienc. The car I purchased is a 2008 Mercedes Benz C300 with all the features. Let me know?
    I own one of these bad boys. Let's talk. If you love youre car like I do.
  • fbosbillfbosbill Member Posts: 4
    Bought a 2008 C Class 300. Mostly happy.....It sputters for about 45 seconds on start up after sitting for a few days. Dealer says "air pump" German cars are known for this...I said for $37K is should purr like a Kirby Vacuum and not sputter like a Harley. They uploaded new software to the computer- results- sputter, sputter, sputter on start up after sitting a few days. After warm up it purrrrrrrrrrs! Just annoying, I am used to Toyota's...thought I would take a chance...I guess time will tell.
    Any comments...?
    I have not had a problem with that. Anyways were did you buy youre car. Is it a sport or luxury. What options did you get it with.
  • aunuigbeaunuigbe Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 C300 has not been driven for 4 months with only 800 miles back from overseas the service notification is showing "Service Exceeded by 130 days" any thoughts.
    IMO.....there shouldn't be a problem "warranty wise". But you need to drive this unit-take it on a long highway trip. They are like a race horse-need to be driven. If I were you...just call your service advisor and explain how you have been out of the country...and don't forget to check the tires before driving it! My first complimentary check hasn't been done and I have 1300 miles on it...he told me bring it in close to 3K miles. When in doubt....call the dealership.
  • annakongannakong Member Posts: 14
    Mine does it too. Said it was because its a sport engine thats normal.
    Do any of ur C300's have this problem when u first start ur car and the ac comes on it releases a strong chemical smell? Or when u havent used ur ac n a while it does it?

Ive taken it in for this particular issue. They said they sanitized the ac...
    I am using the option when i lock the doors the side mirrors fold in. When the fold out do urs make unusual noises?

Ive brought it into dealer and they replaced the driver side one and it started making noise again.
    R any of ur center console peeling off. It may have been nicked but ive noticed 2 other small areas where its missing that rubbery texture black stuff.
  • otengraveotengrave Member Posts: 1
    Both of my mirrors are being replaced by the dealer.
  • nace818nace818 Member Posts: 140
    Does anyone know if the sport mode firms the suspension any or is it just the transmission it affects?
  • rl92649rl92649 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have been doing a lot of research on the older Merc diesels. I have heard that they will run for ever. I have been searching craigslist and other auto sites in search of one below 200k. I have found several that look good. I am looking for a daily driver that will be doing around 120 miles a day. In your expert opinion, would this be a smart move with an older Merc or would it be an expsensive pipe dream. I live in the SoCal area so the cold is not really an issue. Also would it be okay to run B99 in an older Merc with say, 225k? Thanks.

P.S.
    If not a Merc can you make a suggestion on a diesel that would get the job done?
  • be325be325 Member Posts: 91
    Hi (I see 2 discussions so I'll place my question on both).
    2008 C-300 Luxury ...from time to time, I get this 'red' message that one of my tires is losing air. I cancel the message (OK botton on the steering wheel) and check the tires visually and they all look good. Further check shows that front and back pressure is correct at 2.8 & 3.0 psi
    Anyone has similar a problem?
    Yea the mirrors make noice ...occasionally when they fold .... never when they unfold.
  • ekittekitt Member Posts: 1
    Yes, we have had problems with that too. Additionally, the warning lights go on for the gas cap and fluid levels. Seems like a short to us, but dealer hasn't been able to fix this yet.
    Another question:
    Our 2-year-old c300 has only 11,000 miles. We are due for another service (first oil change was a year ago at 5700 milies) .... what is service B1? I see in manual A1 and B2 but not B1.
    Thanks.
  • jayne1958jayne1958 Member Posts: 1
    I was looking up my B1 service in the owners manual. I own a 2008 C 300. ..of course they do not mention the "type of oil to use. I want to change my oil myself! Does anyone know what kind of oil to use?...seems as though it is some kind of "secret" in order to lure you into Mercedes service, so they can charge you an arm and a leg. When I took it in for the first service, they wanted $20 to reset the service alert ...my hubby said to heck with that...so we researched and found out how to reset it ourselves! Thanks!
  • 71alfa71alfa Member Posts: 19
    Sure you've gotten the answer to the oil question by now. Synthetic only, like Mobil 1. My wife's 2008 C300 also has the service B1 displayed, although she only has 9000 miles on car. This usually is done at 26K. Would appreciate info on resetting the display to get that B1 off. Tried some suggestions on-line, but they didn't work. Thanks.
    has anyone experienced a chemical smell when you first turn on the ac?

i took it they did an ac flush. they tell me its normal because of the mold, mildew and bacteria in the air.

my fellow benz owners I know have not experienced this. i never had this problem in previous cars.

one friend say they had to replace something in the dashboard.
    Change the cabin filter, which is on the passenger side below dashboard, in the foot well. Better have someone (trusted mechanic) do it for it's a tough place to reach and is tricky to install. Never heard of an AC flush. Try running car a few minutes with AC off before turning off engine. That works sometimes.
  • redbenzredbenz Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I purchase a pre-owned C300 sports sedan a little more than a year ago. I recently noticed a noise coming from the right rear of the vehicle and brought it into the dealer who told me the noise is being caused by "wear" on the tires and that I need two new rear tires. I have just over 18k miles on the car, there is plenty of tread left (tire store said I should get at least 2 more years with the amount of tread) and some slight feathering on the inside of the tire. The dealer said this is an inherent problem with the sports model because the tires are speed rated so they are softer and the sports packages causes them to wear faster; the tires can't be rotated because of the size difference from front to back.

is this information true
    is it possible the noise is being caused by feathering - it's like a "whirring" noise
    can the same size tires be put on the vehicle so that the new tires can be rotated and extend the tire life
    will a lesser tire i.e. not as soft have the same, shortened life due
    what are our options; does anyone have some anecdotal advice, idea, suggestions

I'm a little more than frustrated and annoyed at the prospect of having to drop $1k a year in tires, but shame on us for not doing better research when purchasing the vehicle if that is, in fact, the case.

Thanks for any and all advice you can offer.
  • maxxsmart86maxxsmart86 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a used 09 C300 from a non- Mercedes dealer - looking for information regarding factory warranty - 3 year - 30,000 miles or 3 year - 36,000 miles?
    Thanks
  • danika1danika1 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2010 350E....ABOUT 6 MOS. AFTER I GOT IT, THIS HORRID SMELL STARTED. I TOOK IT TO MERCEDES 4 TIMES FOR THEM TO TRY TO FIX THE PROBLEM. THEY EVEN HAD SOMEONE FROM THE FACTORY COME OVER. NO ONE HAS BEEN ABLE TO FIX THIS PROBLEM AND IT'S A LOT OF DOUBLE TALK. EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN EXPLANATION BUT NONE OF THEM ARE RIGHTEOUS. MY NEXT MOVE IS A LAWSUIT!!! TRUST ME....I AM NOT GOING TO DRIVE A CAR LIKE THIS WHEREBY EVERY TIME I START IT IT SMELLS AS THOUGH (PARDON MY VINACULAR) SOMEONE THRU UP IN THE FRONT SEAT. BEST WAY I KNOW TO DESCRIBE IT. GRANTED IT GOES AWAY IF YOU PUT THE AIR ON FULL BLAST FOR A FEW MINUTES....BUT....WHY SHOULD YOU HAVE TO WITH THE PRICE OF THIS CAR!!!!! I AM THOROUGHLY FED UP WITH THIS PROBLEM AND 6-8 MONTHS OF EXCUSES. NO ONE KNOWS WHAT IT IS. I HAVE OWNED APPROX. 10 M.B.'S IN THE PAST AND NOT ONE HAD THIS PROBLEM....DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY INPUT AS TO THIS PROBLEM. I WILL BE CONTACTING M. BENZ THROUGH MY ATTORNEY OTHERWISE.
    My car doesn't do it as often as it used to. The smell that was coming out when I turned on the AC was more of a chemical smell. I had it checked numerous times and felt like I got the run around. They couldn't duplicate it... blah blah. The story I was given is that it was due to the pollen and bacteria build up. After 12K miles, I would have to pay for an AC flush for $200+. Yea no thanks because they didn't fix the problem. The did an AC flush finally and the smell went away for a little while.

Every so often, it smells like BO and only when I turn the air on. It's not me and I haven't spilled or cause that smell.

A friend of mine had the same problem. She said after numerous attempts they were able to fix it. I will ask her again to help diagnose the problem correctly.

Sorry you have that wretched smell. It's not right. I agree with you. All the money for a stinky car....hmmmm
  • 604doc604doc Member Posts: 182
    I wonder if the climate control system has some sort of low spot or something in the ducting that collects condensation, allowing mold or mildew to build up.

Try turning off the A/C for a few minutes before you get to your destination. (Keep the fan blowing though...) That should dry it out, and stop or slow down the smell. It's not a great solution, but maybe you won't have to smell it while MB figures something out.

Good luck!
  • sudellsudell Member Posts: 3
    I've only had my C230 Sport for 2 years, 1 year used Pre-Owned Certified.

The 2 years I've had it, and especially more recently, this chemical/exhaust/I have no idea smell has been coming out of my vents with the AC on. My hair, clothes, planner, coat, SKIN smells all the time. Last week it started to give me headahces.
    The dealer has had it 3 times the past week or so - redid the entire ventilation system, etc. SAME smell.
    DISCOVERY:
    Yesterday the OWNER of the dealership checked it out with me. He agreed 'chemical' smell. I said 'maybe the glue?'
    Once I said 'glue', his ears perked up and went RIGHT TO MY FLOOR MATS.
    Fliped them over and OH MY GOSH THEY ARE TERRIBLE. It's the smell you are all smelling, but 100 times worse! I have no children, never spilled anything....all 4 mats are omiting a chemical.
    The air conditioner pulls air from the 'floor' where your mats are, and puts this air with the good air - through your vents.
    It's as if they cleaned the car before selling it, that cleaner got into the 'foam' bottom of the carpeted floor mats, and has been eating it away.
    If you have the original floor mats that came with your Mercedes - flip them over and take a smell. You'll have a headache for a few hours.
    My trunk - everything has this smell. Well there are vents in the trunk too.

I hope this helps and hopefully IS the issue!!!
    -S

The 2 years I've had it, and especially more recently, this chemical/exhaust/I have no idea smell has been coming out of my vents with the AC on. My hair, clothes, planner, coat, SKIN smells all the time. Last week it started to give me headahces.
    The dealer has had it 3 times the past week or so - redid the entire ventilation system, etc. SAME smell.
    DISCOVERY:
    Yesterday the OWNER of the dealership checked it out with me. He agreed 'chemical' smell. I said 'maybe the glue?'
    Fliped them over and OH MY GOSH THEY ARE TERRIBLE. It's the smell you are all smelling, but 100 times worse! I have no children, never spilled anything....all 4 mats are omiting a chemical. The air conditioner pulls air from the 'floor' where your mats are, and puts thiis air with the good air - through your vents.
    It's as if they cleaned the car before selling it, that cleaner got into the 'foam' bottom of the carpeted floor mats, and has been eating it away.
    If you have the original floor mats that came with your Mercedes - flip them over and take a smell. You'll have a headache for a few hours.

DISCOVERY:
    Fliped them over and OH MY GOSH THEY ARE TERRIBLE. It's the smell you are all smelling, but 100 times worse! I have no children, never spilled anything....all 4 mats are omiting a chemical. The air conditioner pulls air from the 'floor' where your mats are, and puts thiis air with the good air - through your vents.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    A reporter is hoping to talk with a new Mercedes C-Class owner, as well as anyone who recently bought a new Mercedes after having owned Lexus models in the past. Thanks for sending your contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, October 12, 2010.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

We have 18k on our 2008 c300 and the message reads:A0 in30 days. The car has been flawless and we like it. I am afraid to ask the dealer because in the past they wanted to do far more than MB recommens.
    Thanks.
  • belleair2belleair2 Member Posts: 6
    I put this question on Maintenance post. Perhaps i'll get response here.
    Is it easy to remove the multi-function light switch in C-300? Occasionally, the passanger side parking light somehow gets turn on when I move the knob form 'A' position to '0'. I think the switch is faulty. I want to take the switch out and disconnect the wire for the passenger side parking lights. Once those 2 lights stayed long enough to prevent me from starting. Other time I saw the lights on (in the evening) as i was coming to the car .... the know seemed to be in 0 position. I now keep the knob on 'A' or put in A position when I leave the car during the day. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    We don't have the 2008 C300 anymore since we turned it in for a similar 2011. One difference is the parking lights(daytime running lights) are now LED's. However, I think you should check the switch function with the manual or with a dealer. I believe that setting is to light the way for the passenger when exiting the car, and the light should turn off in a short time. Only a guess on my part. We always leave the switch on "A" which turns the headlights on when needed.
    Best.
  • belleair2belleair2 Member Posts: 6
    Daytime Running Lights is something else. You set them from your steering wheel.
    I'll ask my service advisor.
    Thanks
  • dita1dita1 Member Posts: 1
    Mobil 1. That is the oil to use it is a synthetic oil. BTW how do you reset the service alert because that is my problem too.
    I tired everything to reset the alert myself...that is a dealer function....however just push "Ok" and it goes away until your next start up....no real issues.

There are different levels of Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Oil....ensure to read the label. There is a code on the back that specifies if it meets MB specs...call the parts department of your local MB dealer and ask...also....it is very difficult to find the recommended weight....normal 5w20w etc does not meet MB specs (for warranty purposes). Although I find it hard to believe that it will make a difference if you change it before the recommended MB mileage....I think they stretch it out too far...hope that helps....Disclaimer: Changing oil intervals is ONLY my opinion.... :=)