Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Honda Accord

Comments

• bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    lol wow!! Well. There are several options that are now standard on the model, but does it justify the price increase? I am not so sure. At this point, the navigation should either be a much lower priced item or standard for that price. Many models are seeing this option more than not. Paying $2k for a nav option is a bit steep.

Why would honda place this model so close to the TSX pricing?
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Exactly my thought!!!!! I looked at replacing my 08 Accord with a 2011....then realized I can have a base model TSX for the same price....and it has the same bells and whistles as the 4cy EX-L. As a result, I've got 3 TSX price quotes sitting in my in-box :) Hate to give up my Accord after owning 4 of them and with only 50k miles on this one....but I'm super unimpressed with it!! Maybe an Acura is a better product? Having said all that, I hadn't factored in the chrome emergency brake button..... back to the drawing board!! :)
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Most Accord buyers aren't likely to cross-shop the TSX, different sizes, different market niches...much like the Nissan Maxima and Infiniti G-series.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    True, but at the end of the day. An Acura is just a Honda. Infiniti is a Nissan.

Just speaking in terms of pricing. Why get an Accord when you can get the TSX. Be in another category. I love the Accord. I am a Honda fan, but with the kind of price tag, I'll be looking or waiting for the price to fall. ha!
  • glerminglermin Member Posts: 8
    has anyone bought an Accord recently and got a great price?
  • rustumrustum Member Posts: 100
    I recently bought 2010 Accord LX-P in silver and black for 21K on the road. Not many 2010 models left with the dealers other than EX.
    edited October 2010
    I bought 2010 Accord LX-P few days back. While driving over rough roads, i am noticing a patting or clicking noise. It might not be coming from one place. It might be from glove box, front plastic panel or plastic panel around transmission. Plastic panel around the transmission and read deck seems to be very thin and hard. Upon applying small pressure one can here this kind of noise. Also noticed that, my glove box is not aligned properly to the door side. Any idea on these issues.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Any idea on these issues.

You are still under warranty. Rather than spend the time looking for rattles, take your car to the dealer and have them do it.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of the Honda Accord who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, November 20, 2010 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ahqahq Member Posts: 37
    I've had my 2010 Accord LX since May. I also noticed the mild creaking sounds over moderate bumps. The center console assembly surrounding the transmission selector is rickety and cheaply constructed. Just gently touch/squeeze the plastic shroud around the transmission lever and you'll hear the creaking loud and clear. I'm about to take my car in for its first oil change, so I may ask the service department to take a look at this as well... but I think it's just a result of intentional cost-cutting on Honda's part.
  • mlindgren1mlindgren1 Member Posts: 2
    A week ago I bought a 2010 Accord EX-L V6 for $24,501 plus tax, title and destination.

Love the car. I had Hondas since 1988 and made the mistake of switching to Saab 9-5. Recently was able to find a taker on that car and convert back to Honda.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    That's a great price. If you wouldn't mind, fill us in on what Honda's you previously owned. As the miles accumulate it would be interesting to read your impression of the current generation and how it stacks up to your previous vehicles. I'm on my second Gen 8 V6, so it's pretty obvious that I'm a fan. But they are/were my first Hondas. I always wanted the reliability that Honda is famous for, but wanted something larger than previous Accords. While I got the vehicle I wanted in the current generation, those that had previous experience with the smaller, more sport like Accords felt somewhat betrayed by the newer larger model. In my experience it’s a car that offers great comfort and economy when driven conservatively. When conditions permit, lay into the throttle and it can provide a reasonable impersonation of a sports sedan. Good luck with your new ride!
  • daneeldaneel Member Posts: 19
    I am the satisfied owner of a 2004 EX V-6 Accord (58,000 miles) and a 2008 LXP Accord (29,000). I am tremendously impressed with the 04 as far as power, fuel efficiency (up to 33 mpg at 4-6 miles above highway speeds), reliability (original tires and brakes, just regular maintenance), driving pleasure, and nimbleness is concerned. However, I am of the opinion that the 08/I-4 is a more solid car with as much nimbleness and driving pleasure as the 04. Also, thus far we had no rear brake problems or for that matter any other problems - just like the 04/V-6. The 08 does have more road noise.
    My 08 rear brakes needed to be replaced at 30,000 miles. A lot more miles than some have reported, and I'd guestimate that 22-23,000 of those miles were city. Honda split the cost with me so that helped to a degree. Previous vehicles traveling the same routes had gone about 45,000 miles before any brake work was required but it was always the front brakes.
    33 mpg's is the best I saw with my 08 V6 and repeated on several tanks driving the same speeds you mentioned which I find really impressive for a car this size. I haven't driven any extended interstate trips with my2010 V-6 yet. Best I've seen so far with 70% hwy balance rural to stop and go is 28 mpg's, again no complaints with that type of fuel economy. Road noise in my 2010 is such that above 45 mph the bluetooth HandsFreeLink is not useable. I speak commands that at lower speeds are responded to as expected, but above 45 after several attempts I find myself driving down the road frustrated by it's inability to correctly dial the numbers I'm asking it to. Any feedback from others on this feature?
  • mlindgren1mlindgren1 Member Posts: 2
    My first Honda was a 1988 Civic Si which I totally loved for 180K miles. Then had a 1985 Accord SEi for about a year before getting a new 1994 Accord EX Coupe. Then I went with a 1998 Accord EX V6 and ran until 128K miles when the trans went. Then had a 2007 Civic LX which was great but I told myself I wanted more so I traded for a 2007 Saab 0-5-total pile of crap. That was in February. I was finally able to unload the Saab and time worked in my favor to get a deal on the outgoing 2010 EX-L V6 which I love so far. I bought it for good reliable transportation with nice options. My other car is a 911 and nothing else will ever be as enjoyable to drive. This fits perfect for a daily driver to work, is very comfortable and has a ton of room inside which helps haul around my 8 yr old twins. :)
    Thanks for the update. I also noticed similar behavior. Looks like same kind of plastic is used above the trunk behind back seat. Honda might have used it some other places. That should explain about the rattles.
    I also observed other issues. I recently bought the car . It has 500 mil. There is a small vibration or shift while closing the doors from wide open. When i start the car early in the morning, it runs at higher rpm. I can hear loud noise and feel vibrations if i put the car into reverse at this point. There is also small noise from the AC fan at the beginning.
    Not sure if these are any new issues with the car. It might be the way car is designed and built. Although it does not feel as agile as my old 2001 v6 Sonata. But it is more comfortable, sure footed and secured. It really feels like sitting in a shell. I really liked the black interior. Please update us if you are able to fix these rattles with the dealer.
  • pajudesterpajudester Member Posts: 5
    I have my EX-L since Monday and I LOVE IT!!! Woke up this AM to frosty windows but no need to worry I have heated seats and side view mirrors. Gotta love it!! And XM radio is icing on the cake....I am hooked!!! :))))))
  • thomasr1950thomasr1950 Member Posts: 76
    I have a 2010 Coupe, my door panels up next to the window are discoloring/fading. Dealer says it's due to lotion from my wife. They replaced both, less than a week later, fading again. They said there is nothing they can do about it, use Pledge Furniture Polish! I don't think so. If i did & they discolor more they wouldn't be covered under warranty. Anyone having this issue?
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    edited October 2010
    If the panels are showing fading in less then a week, I would have to side with the dealer that the sun is not to blame. It usually takes years for interior parts to fade.

So, does your wife use lotion on her arms? There may be a chemical in the lotion that is discoloring the panels. I had a friend that left a whitish discoloration on my truck, It did come off with an auto interior cleaner.

Mrbill
    So do both sides fade or change color? If not, it can't be the car... unless you always drive with the sun shining on one side.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    So do both sides fade or change color? If not, it can't be the car... unless you always drive with the sun shining on one side.

Depending on commute, that's actually fairly likely. I always drive into the sun (I work ENE of my home) so my front dash sees a lot more sun than the rear shelf.
  • phillymikephillymike Member Posts: 13
    Friends,
    Just wanted to pass along some information I was told last night when I dropped off my 2010 Accord V6 Sedan. There was apparently a Honda Service Bulletin that covers replacement of front brakes. Then I was told that my rear brakes were close to shot and those need to be replaced. The odd part about the rears is that there was also a Honda Service Bulletin that addressed the replacement at no cost to the owner. This is no longer in place due to the fact that there was a Class Action lawsuit that Honda must have lost. Now I can submit a duplicate copy of my receipt to the law firm overseeing the disbursement of funds to Accord/Honda owners and I might get 50% back.

Just wanted to share this so you can bring this up next time you are talking to or standing in front of your local Honda Service Dept. This is all I know as I am waiting to pick my car up from the dealership today. I thought the strong vibrations were related to Variable Cylinder Management but my dealership is having me address the brakes at this point; implying that there really isn't a problem with th VCM. We'll see and I'll try to update this post when I feel I have more info or road time after getting both the front and rear brakes replaced my 12,000 mile Accord.

Philly Mike
    Has any regular Honda owner feel like the quality & features of Hondas lately have decreased? I've owned Hondas since 1983, i feel like they are starting to cut back on quality & features to keep sales going. I'm talking about interior/exterior quality & features. not mechanical.
    I agree it's now an option. I think Honda is cutting back on a lot of good features to keep prices down & sales up. I paid extra for the mirror, due to the convenience of it. Like you it's standard on the Sedan EXl_V6, why not the coupe? Also there are not any door lights, reflectors in the door. If they continue to do this i'll quit buying Hondas, they are quality vehicles but they need to quit cutting back, they'll loose sales.
  • rcummelinrcummelin Member Posts: 184
    My personal opinion is that Honda executives have been drinking the same Kool-Aid for the last 4-5 years that Toyota executives have been drinking since 1995 (the year Toyota began "de-contenting" their vehicles). Cost-cutting seems to be more important to Honda than the public's opinion of their cars.

I think the 2007 Accord was the pinnacle for the Accord, and both quality & features have been going steadily downhill since then.

As far as the mechanical bits go, Honda seems to be hanging on to old technology much longer than they did in the past, like the antiquated 5-speed auto transmission and the addition of VCM (shudder) to the V6 to slightly improve the gas mileage.

For sure, the next time I get the desire for a new vehicle, the Honda dealer will NOT be the first stop I make.
    I had a 08 Accord EX-L V-6 w/Navi. i wish i had it back. To me it had a lot of features that aren't on my 10 Accord EXL V_6 Coupe. They could add the rear view camera, lights in the door, auto mirror to name a few. I may go with a Maxima as my next car, they cost more but have a lot of features that Honda doesn't. I had a 04 Maxima SL, liked it too, traded it for the 08 Accord. I understand keeping costs down but when you get the top of the line car you should get top of the line equip. If the Sedan EX-L V6 w/o Navi. has auto mirror, door lights, camera the Coupe should too.
  • loucopitsloucopits Member Posts: 103
    edited October 2010
    I just switched to Honda from a Toyota Solara and am very disappointed with the quality and features of the LX. All door handles are stiff and crude, ride is rough and noisy, paint is thin, engine has surge when creeping forward and brakes are poor. Next car will be another Toyota or Chevie Malibu.
  • daneeldaneel Member Posts: 19
    Loucopits, I simply cannot understand postings like this one. Did you indeed take the Accord LX for a test drive before purchasing it?
  • loucopitsloucopits Member Posts: 103
    Yes, i took a test drive but it was too short.

My bad.
  • tkcvijaytkcvijay Member Posts: 5
    Hi Guys, I have just completed 3 months with my brand new Accord. It has done 2500 miles so far and the oil life shown as 70%. As it is 3 months old now, I have scheduled my first oil change this coming saturday (3rd Nov). Now a second thought came into my mid...do I really need to change the oil now? Mileage done is very low and the oil life shown is 70%. Is it good to change the oil now? or shud I wait for another 1000 miles to complete ? Please suggest me...
    You may want to read some of the other forums here about changing the oil too early. In short, Honda suggests that you wait until at least 5000 miles before you change the oil. They put an additive in the factory oil that helps clean out the metal filings in the new engine.

You may also want to do a Google search on the 3000 oil change myth. Many people feel that the 3K/3 month oil change is wasteful and unnecessary, especially with today's cars.
    tallman1 is correct in suggesting that you should NOT change the oil now. Use the maintenance minder, even now. At very earliest, wait until 5,000 miles.
  • Michael CohenMichael Cohen Member Posts: 16
    I just picked up a 2010 Accord EX-L Sedan and have a couple of questions/comments that hopefully someone can answer:

1) When clicking on the remote twice to lock the car, the horn sounds. However, in the manual it says I should hear a 'beep' Does anyone's car 'beep' instead of a loud horn, like the Acura.
    2) Did anyone else notice a small hole in the plastic above the rear seat between the middle and driver side latch tethers. It looks odd and out of place and serves no purpose.
    3) It seems dark in the cabin at night even with the dash lights turned up all the way. I am used to my Acura which has the blue lights and higher intensity dash lights.
    4) Is there concern over the Service Bulletin for the brakes.

Thanks for your comments.
    1) When clicking on the remote twice to lock the car, the horn sounds. However, in the manual it says I should hear a 'beep' Does anyone's car 'beep' instead of a loud horn, like the Acura. Beep = Honk of horn.

2) Did anyone else notice a small hole in the plastic above the rear seat between the middle and driver side latch tethers. It looks odd and out of place and serves no purpose. It is part of the Active Noise Cancellation system, I believe I've read that here.

3) It seems dark in the cabin at night even with the dash lights turned up all the way. I am used to my Acura which has the blue lights and higher intensity dash lights. Don't know what to tell ya. Check another Accord on the lot if you suspect something wrong.
    Grad pretty much addresses items 1 & 2. My 08 had a small overhead blue ambient light which I thought did little to light the interier but I find I miss it in my 2010. Removed it for some reason. The brakes have faired better for some than others but the best overall mileage some are getting is 30-35,000 miles, not great by any means.
    The ambient light (2008-2009 EX-L) was removed for 2010 along with the glove box light due to cost cutting by Honda.

Yes, it's dark inside at night, especially with a black interior.
  • sshvhsshvh Member Posts: 13
    I bought a 2009 Accord EXL-V6 in 08/09, to go with 2 other 3.5 liter vehicles I own - a 99 Honda Odyssey and a 2008 Lexus RX 350. Overall, my wife and daughters join me in giving this feedback:
    1. Very poor ride quality where every little imperfection on the road carries through to the passengers,
    2. Bad transmission that is constantly searching for the right gear,
    3. My teenage daughter, for whom this was purchased, commented that the 99 Odyssey has much better accelaration from a stop than the Accord,
    4. VCM is a gimmick we can do without - causes some shudder to go with the bad transmission and ride quality - if Toyotas can deliver better mileage without VCM then why does Honda thrust VCM on us.

We turned in a 93 Mercury Villager under the clunkers program and bought this vehicle - we collectively feel that offered a better ride than this Accord. I have owned a Honda vehicle for 24 years now, starting with the 86 Acura Integra and, with the 08 Accord, I think I need to close the door on this brand.

86 Integra: Timing belt blew at 50K miles causing $ 2K in damages; transmission blew at 90K miles, paint lost lustre (even though kept in a garage)
    99 Odyssey: Currently at 117K miles, various problems are surfacing now, including front engine mount replacement, catalytic converter replacement, rear shocks, etc. Drove noisier than the Villager when we owned 2 minivans.

Got enamored by Consumer Report and other ratings and thought the Accord would be a better experience - when I drive at 70 on a highway, my Odyssey barely register 2K RPM, the Accord is at 2.5K RPM - both give me nearly the same mileage on the highway. High time we stopped having this infatuation for the Honda brand - the new Hyundai Sonata would anyday be a better bet.
    @tkcvijay, thank you for posting your question, and thanks to tallman1 and thegraduate for their responses. I have close to 4000 miles on my 2010 Accord LX (I've had it for five months) and was considering scheduling an appointment for an oil change as well. I think I'll hold off until later this month or after Thanksgiving!
    Hey all, winter isn't too far away and I'm considering replacing the default carpeted mats with a set of rubber mats. One of the local Honda dealers is selling Honda's all-season mats for $115. WeatherTech.com's all-weather mats come out to $115 including shipping. WeatherTech's mats are custom designed to fit many different makes and models. Any suggestions on which I should go with?

Also, does anyone know how good are the OE tires in the snow? They are Dunlop SP Sport 7000 A/S tires. Reviews on Tire Rack aren't terribly encouraging. I live in southeast Wisconsin, so we can have pretty nasty winters up here. I'd rather not get a separate set of winter tires since I don't have space to store the other four tires in the meantime (although a friend with a garage offered to store them on my behalf), so I'm thinking about possibly getting a set of Nokian WR-G2 tires.

Anyhow, I realize there are probably other forums for discussing tires and what not, but I'm hoping I can get some feedback on the Dunlops on this car. Thanks!
    You may want to take a look at HandA for floor mats. They have the Honda OEMs and WeatherTech. It looks like the OEM mats come in a set of 4 for front and back.

Here's the link: HandA accessories

Tire Rack will probably give you the best info on the tires. And yes, there is a forum for tires and wheels. You might ask your question over there if you don't get any responses here. The link is Honda Accord Tires and Wheels
  • Michael CohenMichael Cohen Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the responses.
    Did you test drive the vehicle? Things like "very poor ride quality where every little imperfection on the road carries through to the passengers" would be noticed on a proper drive.Your teenager is also very wrong. The Accord is about 3 seconds quicker to 60 MPH than the '99 Odyssey. Funny how 600 fewer pounds and 60 extra horsepower do that. :)
    We test drove thrice - unfortunately the dealership is off a highway that has concrete paving - we assumed it would be better on tar roads. Also, my daughter was echoing what I observe - the Odyssey is faster despite all the published claims - the simple reason is that the Odyssey does not have VCM and possibly has a better 4 speed transmission, it just accelerates - the Accord over-revs and I see Corollas and other 4 cyl. vehicles drive faster (including the Civic).
    If your Odyssey accelerates faster than your Accord (the gearing of the Odyssey 4-speed will only make it SLOWER, not faster than a 5-speed) you have real mechanical problem.

Over-revs? It's going beyond redline?
    edited November 2010
    From Idle, My LX-P Accord does not move much either without punching gas pedal. Above 2k rpm, it moves pretty fast. There is a decent surge around 3k rpm. I am yet to rev it up above 4k though. Rev ups are pretty quick.
    If your Odyssey accelerates faster than your Accord (the gearing of the Odyssey 4-speed will only make it SLOWER, not faster than a 5-speed) you have real mechanical problem.

Over-revs? It's going beyond redline?

I agree with the grad: If your descriptions of the problems with your Accord are actually true, your Accord is seriously broken. Our 2010 V6/VCM Accord has fantastic accelleration--MUCH better than the 2008 Civic Si, a supposed hot rod--that we traded in for the Accord.

As far as the suspension is concerned, stiffness has been an Accord trait for many years. For me it is like getting a Sport Suspension for free. I love how our Accord rides and handles, as it's almost like a sports car. It sounds to me like a Camry (not the SE model) or a Buick may have a suspension to your liking. Personally I hate both as they ride like old Lincolns & Cadillacs IMHO. Ha, ha!
    4 speed does not mean it will accelerate slower, only that the transmission goes through a longer revving range in each gear and reaches top gear quicker, hence the poorer (hypothetical) fuel economy.

My Accord is a year old and has done 13K unsatisfactory miles - have been to 2 dealers.

No I am more in tune with Honda suspensions - my Integra and Odyseey both have/had softer rides so there is something wrong with the Accord.

To me the 6 cyl Accord is like a public speaker with hiccups - even to get it to 30 mph it would rev up to 2K RPM before shifting to the next gear - Corollas and Malibus would sprint ahead
    To say that your Accord is slower because others are sprinting ahead, regardless of what vehicle they are driving, is almost a pointless statement. You have no idea how deep the other cars are dipping into their throttle. To compare the rate of forward progress all parties would have to know that they are participating in a form of measured progress. Hell I've been out paced by school buses and oil delivery trucks at times due to my leisurely progress away from stop lights. Any comparison of rate of speed would mean all involved would have to be knowing participants.

That said Honda engines do require higher revs to be in their prime torque band, be they four or six cylinder engines. Smaller 4 cyl turbo's are usually in their peak torque band by 2,500 RPM. My 2010 Accord V6 needs to be near 5,000 RPM to be at peak torque.
    Your last post seems to confirm that your Accord is broken. Being an old drag racer, I can tell you that there are VERY few cars that can "sprint ahead" of our Accord. Maybe a new V8 Mustang or Camaro or something else that is tuned for sprinting, but not much else. Our Accord can easily out-accellerate just about anything else when leaving a traffic light. I mean EASILY.

Re: the suspension: if you read lots of the posts both here and on other Accord sites (like Drive Accord) you will find many posts & threads where the stiff suspension is mentioned (positively & negatively). This has been part of the Accord's design (and appeal to some customers, like me) for at least 5-8 years or so. The young guys that buy the Accord Coupe LOVE the suspension, just as the wife and I do.

We owned TWO recent Odysseys, a 2005 and a 2008, and found that while their suspensions were not as firm as the Accord, they were much firmer than the Toyota minivan, which drove like the steering and suspension were almost not there at all.

Obviously, you are unhappy with your Accord, which is sad, as many of us are pleased--at least for the most part. That isn't to say I would run out and buy another one, but ours is also almost a year old and has been totally trouble-free and enjoyable. We get great highway mileage--28-30--and we can't feel the VCM transitions at all. The transmission downshifts harder than I would like when slowing for a red light, but I can live with that. I figure we will keep it for a few more years at least.

Good luck with yours & please do yourself a favor and get it fixed!
    edited November 2010
    4 speed does not mean it will accelerate slower, only that the transmission goes through a longer revving range in each gear

...which means it will drop further from the peak power (in this case, the upper 5000s on the tach) with each shift, returning slower acceleration than a vehicle with more gears, allowing for closer ratios and the ability to stay closer to the power peak under hard acceleration.

my Integra and Odyseey both have/had softer rides so there is something wrong with the Accord.

You're comparing ride of 2 an Acura and a van with 10+ year old shocks, yet you assume something wrong with the Accord. Um, whatever; that's very fuzzy logic.

even to get it to 30 mph it would rev up to 2K RPM before shifting to the next gear

Clarify please; what are you wanting your car to rev to before shifting? My V6 Sonata can sometimes shift under 2k if a light acceleration load is called for by my right foot, but when under moderate or heavy acceleration is called for, it may rev to 3-4k RPM, higher depending on how urgently I need to accelerate. The Accord is more powerful than my Sonata, weighs approximately the same, and accelerates with even less effort.