Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Liberty '02 won't run over 25mph

arr828arr828 Member Posts: 4
edited May 2014 in Jeep
It just happened tonight and I am in panic mode. Can't go to work tomorrow, if I can't drive on the highway! =( And I don't think I can with my jeep crawling a mere 25mph.

My axles have been recently changed, and so was my radiator because it had a leak. I've been running on these new parts for a couple of months now and no problems until today. I read somewhere here that they had issues only when the weather was warmer and smooth sailing during the colder months? But I've had this Jeep for a year now and got it right around this time when the weather's pretty crazy (cold then hot). I seriously wonder if it even has anything to do with me missing a gear! HELP please? I'm scared to drive it because I feel like the engine's dying on me or seomething and I might do some serious damage by pushing it.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Can you give a little more detail? What does the engine sound like when this is happening? Are you losing electrical power? When you say "missing a gear," do you mean your transmission is not working? Are you getting visible exhaust from the back end? Are you hearing any strange noises?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • arr828arr828 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, thanks for your reply tidester.
    When I try to press on the gas to make it go faster, it sounds like it's revving and then the sounds dies down and it's like the engine's just too tired to do anything else but run on 25mph. Going up a slight uphill slope is a crawl, makes me feel like I will back up anytime so I don't push it and just run on the crawl that it's giving me. Most of the places I called around adviced for the jeep to be towed, if we're bringing it to a shop. I have no idea whatsoever where cars are involved so pardon my inefficiency in giving you specifics. Anyother strange noise, I don't hear anything and noticed no visible exhaust, maybe I wasn't paying attention that much to my back end. I was just holding my breath til the engine died and thank goodness it did not and I got home. ='(
    There are several possibilities. Your clutch may be slipping, your ECU (electronic control unit) may be faulty, your fuel pump may not be working properly and so on.

Perhaps another Liberty owner has had similar experiences. Anyone?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Thank you so much again, tidester.

But is it safe to rule out the transmission? I'm scared of that part. :cry: A couple of months ago, we had to replace the axles then they found a leak on the radiator and a patch won't do the trick so we bought a new radiator too. And all these happened just 2 months ago. The $$$s just keep rolling out our household. :sick:
    I hope someone who's had the same problem could shed light to this.

Thanks again!
    I wouldn't rule out problems with the transmission. Can you explain what you meant by "missing a gear?"

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I meant it won't shift from first to second. But if we manually put on second gear, it runs up to around 45mph. Except it kind of locks.. Like it stops and moves again? As if having hiccups. It's driving us insane. And the mechanic has yet to get back to us re: the computer side of everything as he already ruled out the transmission. Said that if it were the transmission, we would have problems with the first gear and Reverse, which didn't really give us problems until we put the car manually on the 2nd gear instead of just on the regular "Drive".

Is it safe to reset things by removing the negative on the battery and re-attaching it again after 5 mins? Somebody suggested this.
    I don't think disconnecting the battery would cause any problems unless you have a security system installed which may require some additional procedures to reset.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • tootoestootoes Member Posts: 3
    new to the site and ty for any help i might get .i bought my wife the 2007 liberty see drove it a few days and one day she tells me that she dont think she is going the speed limit other people has rode with her and said the same thing to her they said she was going under the limit when in fact the odometer was showing that she was doing the speed limit can someone tell me what the problem is where to fined it how to fix it and the cost of the part and can i fix it myself thanks again to all
    You can verify whether the speedometer is reporting the speed accurately by using the mileposts along a highway. For example, driving at 60 mph, it should take exactly one minute to travel one mile. A significant departure from that indicates the speedometer is inaccurate.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    hey tidester i did the mile to mile test i was 8 seconds slow so a friend said i was going about 52 and not 60 he said it sounds like a speed sensore dose that sound right to u
    One mile in 68 seconds works out to almost 53 miles per hour and that does qualify as a significant discrepancy. Mitigating factors are errors in timing and constancy of your speed but I don't think they would be large enough to throw you off by 8 seconds. I agree that the speed sensor is probably faulty. An electronic problem would likely give you highly sporadic readings.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    hey tidster any idea what they run and is it something i can tackle myself
    I have no idea. Perhaps someone with hands-on experience can jump in and offer some guidance. Anyone?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • cummins4evercummins4ever Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like a clogged Fuel Filter or fuel line, based on what you are describing.

I would replace the fuel filter, and then run a fuel injector cleaning additive (like the one made by BG or Lucas).

Should take care of the problem.

In the future, change your fuel filter on a regular basis. Depending on type of engine, you might be surprised to find out the interval can be as little as 12,000 miles. Fuel filters are relatively inexpensive, and most drivers who can change an air filter can change a fuel filter.

Take care!
  • jgarisjgaris Member Posts: 1
    this all started around 69,000 miles. first cly.1 then 2,6,1,3. what is causing this? dealer only fixes one at a time. this will keep happening. :mad:
This discussion has been closed.