Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo Frame Rust

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Seems like a better use of your energy as fellow Rodeo owners would be trying to get the frame rust issue handled instead of squabbling with each other.

Any further "off-topic" posts will be removed. Thanks in advance for sticking to the topic.
  • marinakymarinaky Member Posts: 64
    Thank you Steve for stepping in. You are 100% correct.
    I think I am going to draft a letter and send it to the various automotive magazines concerning the frame rust issue, my experience, and also send one to Consumer Report, and see if any of them will publish it. That would be one way to get the word out. All are invited to do the same, we can collaborate on which to send it to, or just send it on as we see fit. Autoweek was mentioned as a possibility. If they get a lot of letters to the editor about the same problem, perhaps someone will take notice. Also, I plan on calling Derek Reinhardt this week, hope all you other forum watchers do the same so he gets a load of calls from concerned vehicle owners.
    One more thing, lets all call our vehicles manufacturer, either Isuzu or Honda America and see what they have to say. Lets try to unite in the next couple of weeks on this and then we can post our findings/progress. These steps are all positive, and I feel would be a good use of all the energy we all seem to have concerning our vehicles. Happy New Year.
  • alannhalannh Member Posts: 8
    "Happy New Year Everyone" TTFN
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    My previous post was removed because it included a phone number.

the attorneys handling the Ford Taurus SHO engine class action is:

Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodman, LLC; Chicago.

I also mention to be careful about where a class action suit is filed to insure proper jurisdiction.
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    It's happening to Axiom's too! They have the same frame as the Rodeo.

They didn't sell too many of this model, but there's definately the same problem as evident on the Axiom forum.

Did anyone actually get some letter back from Derek Rhienhardt? I never got a single response from my email, letter or FAX (yes all 3 ).
  • krashman67krashman67 Member Posts: 7
    :sick: I spoke with Derek in Novenber, and he told me they were either going to drop the investigation if they felt there was not a significant number of complaints, or they would escalate it to an engineering analysis. I'm not holding my breath waiting for a recall or settlement, but it's good to see that it has been upgraded to an engineering analysis. My 2001 Rudeo had the same problem this fall, and let go with no warning. I live in Connecticut, and am the original owner. The car was well cared for, and always garaged. Now I have a beautiful, good running car that I cannot use for anything but a shed. I found this discussion, and realized that my rust problem was not unique.I filed a complaint with the NHTSA, and left several messages with Derek, and was surprised when he called me one day. Here is the latest update, which I found on the NHTSA website: Notice that Isuzu is claiming that it is a gradual problem that gives consumers prior warning. I hope they can sleep at night knowing someone is likely to get hurt from an accident due to the seperation of the rear link.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/defects/results.cfm

NHTSA Action Number : EA09018 N/A
    N/A
    N/A
    N/A NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
    Make / Models : Model/Build Years:

HONDA / PASSPORT 1998-2002

ISUZU / RODEO 1998-2002

Manufacturer : HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.)
    Component :
    SUSPENSION
    SUSPENSION:REAR

Date Investigation Opened : December 7, 2009
    Date Investigation Closed : Open
    Summary:
    DURING PRELIMINARY EVALUATION PE09-030, ISUZU MOTORS AMERICA, INC (ISUZU) NOTED TWO PRIMARY DIFFERENCES ONCE THE REAR SUSPENSION LOWER LINK SEPARATION OCCURS BETWEEN THE ALLEGED DEFECT (SEPARATION OF THE LOWER LINK FROM THE FRAME) OF THIS INVESTIGATION AND A SAFETY DEFECT INVOLVING LOWER LINK SEPARATION FROM THE REAR AXLE ADDRESSED BY ISUZU IN SAFETY RECALL 00V-058. IN THE CASE OF THE DEFECT CONDITION IDENTIFIED IN RECALL 00V-058, ISUZU STATED THAT THE ATTACHMENT BOLT COULD DETACH FULLY, CAUSING SEPARATION OF THE LOWER LINK FROM THE REAR AXLE POSSIBLY CREATING A LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL. ISUZU ALSO STATED THAT THIS CONDITION OCCURS EARLY IN THE SERVICE LIFE OF THE VEHICLE. IN THIS INVESTIGATION ISUZU NOTED LOWER LINK SEPARATION FROM THE FRAME IS A PROGRESSIVE CORROSION ISSUE WITH PRIOR WARNING TO CONSUMERS. ISUZU ALSO STATED THAT IN THE EVENT OF A LOWER LINK SEPARATION FROM THE FRAME, THE VEHICLE IS STILL CONTROLLABLE AND CAN BE SAFELY STOPPED. THE OFFICE OF DEFECT INVESTIGATION (ODI) ANALYZED COMPLAINT DATA PROVIDED BY ISUZU AND AMERICA HONDA MOTOR COMPANY, INC (HONDA), AS WELL AS VEHICLE OWNER QUESTIONNAIRES SUBMITTED TO ODI FROM CONSUMERS. IN TOTAL, THERE WERE 60 UNIQUE REPORTS OF LOWER LINK SEPARATIONS FROM THE FRAME INCLUDING 1 ALLEGED CRASH AND 7 LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL INCIDENTS THAT MAY BE RELATED TO THE ALLEGED DEFECT. MOST OF THESE COMPLAINTS INDICATED THAT THERE WAS NO WARNING PRIOR TO THE LINK SEPARATION. PRELIMINARY EVALUATION PE09-030 HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO AN ENGINEERING ANALYSIS TO FURTHER ASSESS THE SCOPE, FREQUENCY AND RISK TO MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES.
  • darth_venomdarth_venom Member Posts: 43
    It seems to me these problems mentioned within this thread only affect 1997 and later model Rodeo's and their corresponding counterparts. I have a 1992 Rodeo with over 279,000 miles on it and with the exception of a heater blowing cold air, and a right turn signal problem the vehicle is and has been exemplary. The frame under mine is as if it was new and the 3.1 litre V6 uses no oil, Tranny and transfer case work like new. I did have to change out the gas tank/fuel pump about three years ago but that's the most serious problem I've had with the vehicle in the 6 years I've owned it and I'm the second owner.
    I wish all of you luck with your actions and your frame issues. I just thought it would help all of you to know about the 1997 and up models seeming to have this issue. Me I live in Florida on the west coast. Salt air hits mine every day and still no rust on the frame or anywhere else for that matter.
  • gurlzyllagurlzylla Member Posts: 8
    My observation through this forum, the complaints on NHTSA and the facebook page is that only 2000 and 2001 models have been affected. To date, I have observed no NHTSA complaints of frame corrosion on model year 2002!
    My 1998 Honda Passport is one of the vehicles with the rotten frame.
    My husband decided to take a closer look at the frame of my 1998 Honda Passport. He did weld the area where the wheel stabilizer bar fell off last year, but I still did not feel comfortable driving it. So, last week, he got under the Passport to see what the entire frame looked like. The area where the coil springs attach to the rear axle were rusted through. In numerous areas, he was able to push his finger through the frame easily, in areas from the front to the back. I was right not to trust the Passport. The rust has become widespread, there is no repair to the frame. Replacement of the frame is an option, but not for us. We are selling the Passport as it, to someone who can either use it for parts or has the ability to replace the entire frame. Of interest, the entire body underneath is still shiny silver paint, no rust to the body at all. Just a severely rusted frame. Sadly, vehicles from the 50's and 60's have frames in better condition that this 1998 does.
  • rodeostinksrodeostinks Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo with 70000' miles on it that cannot be inspected (Since 2008) due to a rusted out frame. If you lay under it rust literally falls in your eyes. Complained to NHSA and Isuzu and was totally ignored. If the Titanic was made out of this crap steel it would have totally disappeared after 11 years!!!!
    Hi Rodeostinks, cool name.
    Anyway, go back through the posts in this forum, and follow the instructions on how to submit your info to Derek Rinehardt, federal investigator. I put that on this forum for other Passport and Rodeo owners. File a complaint with NHTSA again, you should receive a claim or case#. Keep that e-mail or print it off and keep it. I had to report the vehicle to NHTSA twice before I did get a case #, so do it again. Where it asks if any property damage, mark YES, after all, the vehicle is property and it is damaged. Take lots of photos, both for yourself and for Mr. Rinehardt. Contact Isuzu again, file a claim against them, they will have to give you a claim or case #. Have your VIN available for both Isuzu and NHTSA. Isuzu will tell you that this is the first time they heard of this problem, etc., don't let them snowball you or wear you down, get that case #.
    Of interest, I did all of the above. So my Passport should have some type of info on a car fax that there is frame damage, however, there is nothing there. So, what did Honda do with the info I sent to them?
    The recall has been updated to an engineering analysis, so we are making some progress, very slow but something is better than nothing.
    Our Passport has a swiss cheese frame now, it is unbelievable how rusted it is and how the entire frame is affected. It is unsafe to drive, so we are going to get rid of it. Just sitting in the driveway is nothing but a reminder that Honda screwed us.
    :( Let us know how you made out. Everyone on the forum is here to help others out with our knowledge and experience. May not be much, but it is nice to know you are not standing alone. M
  • shaunoshauno Member Posts: 7
    Hi All,

This just happened to me on Feb. 10, 2010, my frame is junk. I'm trying to get up to speed with all that has been posted, I have called Mr Rhinhardt in DC, but as we know DC has been shut down all week. I guess what I need to know now is "What can I do with this Rodeo?" Try to trade it, junk it, save it for some kind of settlement, I'm not sure. What have others done? I can send anyone pics if they want them, sorry I don't do Facebook or Tweet. If someone tells me how to post them here I will, otherwise a quick note to "woodisgood@hotmail.com, Please put "Rodeo Pics" in subject line so I know you are not spam

ANY HELP/ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT

Shauno">
    I can see it's been a few weeks since your posting of "rotting Rodeo frames". Has there been any forward movement in the way of a class action suit. Mine just gave way last Wednesday as I was driving my 8 yr old to school doing 45 mph. I came within inches of a phone pole. I have pics of the rot/rust to share but I don't do this computer thing well enough to know how. Any help on what to do with this SUV would be greatly appreciated
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If someone tells me how to post them here ...

Click on the HELP link at the bottom of this page for instructions on how to post pictures.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    If you go through the previous posts, you will see the letter I posted from Derek Rinehardt, federal investigator. Just follow those instructions. Take lots of pictures, keep a set for yourself and send a set to him. Contact NHTSA, get a case #. Contact the manufacturer (Honda or Isuzu), get a case # with them. Keep all your info in one place. Have your VIN # available, you will need that. We decided to sell the Passport as a salvage vehicle. The frame is replaceable, however at a larger cost that it is worth. It can be parted out, but you would have to be knowledgable how to pull the engine, etc. and that would be a bit of a pain. Good luck, we are in the waiting stage, have been since July, on a recall.
  • krashman67krashman67 Member Posts: 7
    Sorry for your loss, I know how frustrating this can be. My car has been out of commission since late September, and I'm not sure what to do with it either. I would repair it, but it is too far gone, and needs a complete frame. The body and drivetrain are in great condition, so I will probably part it out.

I would contact Mr. Rhinehardt at the NHTSA, and file a complaint. It will probably take some time to get a response, but I think he will eventually contact you. It took a month after I filed before I got a phone call from him, He is a decent guy to deal with, and seems genuinely concerned. My experience with filing a complaint with Isuzu was completely different. I called a number from the Isuzu website, and spoke to a man who claimed to be a national operations manager, who would not even give me his full name. He refused to give me any information, and told me he was purposely evading my questions. I asked for a receipt for my complaint, or an email verification, and he refused, and would only give me a file number verbally.

Mr. Rhinehardt sent me an email recently, with the same questionaire that is posted elswhere on this thread. The wheels of govt. turn slow. I would encourage you to file a complaint with Isuzu and the NHTSA- there's no guarantee that anything will happen, but the more people file a complaint, the better chance we have.

Good Luck
    Just checked up on the NHTSA complaints and noticed the first model year 2002 to report a trailing arm separation (Feb, 2010). There's bound to be more on the way. I hope something gets rolling on this before someone gets hurt!

I noticed that NHTSA describes the EA process as taking around a year to complete. I'll be patient and optimistic- although it would be nice to get that paperweight out of the garage...
  • rodeorotrodeorot Member Posts: 8
    Here's my email to Rinehardt.
    also I do plan on contacting the media so if anyone in Massachusetts wants to tell their story let me know.
    Dear Mr. Rinehardt.

My name is Lt. Richard X. XXXXXXXXX
    I am a Paramedic Lieutenant with the XXXXXXXX MA. Fire Dept.
    I am also a rescue technician with expertise in various aspects of technical rescue as well as an Emergency Vehicle Operations Instructor.

My wife and I purchased a new 2001 Isuzu Rodeo in August of 2001 from a local dealer in Massachusetts.
    Approximately 10 days ago while driving the vehicle, it abruptly swerved left with acceleration from 15-20 mph, then with deceleration, it swerved to the right and pitched into an almost rollover motion of approximately 30 degrees.

Upon inspection, the Left rear trailing arm had separated from the frame and upon closer inspection the frame has multiple areas where it has rotted through entirely and is not repairable.

With some web based investigation this appears to be a common problem with these vehicles and their Honda relatives.

I did take meticulous care of the vehicle and it appears obvious to me that this is an intrinsic defect of both the construction and the quality of steel used in the frame itself.

I am forwarding some pictures as well as pertinent information about the vehicle to you.

My primary concern is of potentially life threatening failure of trailing arms in the remainder of these vehicles on the road, it appears that the rear axle in my vehicle swung out of alignment causing the rear end to steer independently of the front.

Other than this critical problem the vehicle looks immaculate and it appears that the rot occurred primarily from the inside out and showed very little damage until it broke through to the exterior. The body has no rust and superficially the vehicle looks superb which I believe makes the problem even more serious as unsuspecting buyers of used vehicles will be unaware of the potentially severe problems with the frame.

I also plan on speaking with an acquaintance from the news media Susan Warnick who was instrumental in providing public information regarding the Toyota issues that have recently gained so much media attention.

I, with due respec,t will furnish her with this correspondence as well as the Edmunds forum postings along with the current list of NHTSA complaints.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1d6728

1.VIN 4S2DM8W714331524

2. Original owner purchased new in 2001 from,

Showcase Isuzu 418 Macarthur Bvd. Bourne MA 02532

a) Purchased on 10/20/1001,Used primarily for local travel in Massachusetts.

3. Incident occurred on 02/16/2010

4. I was alone driving the vehicle at the time of the incident at approximately 3pm dry road conditions about 1/2 mile from my house on a side street with very light traffic.
    I was able to drive the vehicle in reverse to my house. I could not drive forward since the axle would swing causing the tires to contact the frame and prevent forward movement.

a) By pure co-incidence my wife and 3 and 5 year old children were not with me at the time.
    The incident occurred without warning and I believe only the low rate of speed prevented the vehicle from rolling over.
    The vehicle has 101,000 miles.

I am in the process of trying to contact Isuzu but thus far they are not being helpful.

Please give this matter your urgent attention.
    I see so many of these vehicles on the road driven by families with small children and based on how close my own vehicle came to rolling over at only 20mph and the number of complaints coming to light that it is a critical safety defect.

Please feel free to call me or contact me vie email.
    I will gladly furninsh you information as you deem appropriate.

Sincerely,
    XXXXXX
    Hi Lieutenant
    I'm with you here in Mass and I emailed, sent certified letter, faxed, called and left voice messages to the same guy and received absolutely ZERO for a response.

I put posting up here awhile ago with my experience and my steps that I took. Isuzu did nothing, DOT did nothing and NHSTA is doing nothing as far as I can tell. They are now probably dealing with Toyota.

My wife had a 2002 Isuzu Axiom which uses the EXACT same frame as the Rodeo.. Here are a few photos of the car.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3293653/Axiom%20Rust.jpg

I would be glad to talk to any press or Help Me Hank!

Send me a PM if you want to talk.
    edited February 2010
    Wrong Gurlzylla,

Here for your pleasure are photos of a 2002 Isuzu Axiom

Perhaps the frames are from a 2001 "batch"?

Is this the same thing you all have seen? I've got tons more of these photos....

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3293653/Axiom%20Rust.jpg
    Hi Rodeorot, I am with you. I have done all that you have done, the certified letter to Derek Rinehardt, the NTHSA notification and opened a case with them. Contacted Honda, opened a case with them (as helpful as Isuzu, which was not at all). Let me know what else you need. I kept a folder of all the Car Complaints and Auto Beef posts that took place before I found Edmunds and stuck with Edmunds. I am also the one who posted The Rinehardt letter for all to use.
    My vehicle is a 1998, not sure why gurlzylla keeps saying 2002 is the first year, I believe the first year is 1997. My incident occurred 01/21/09.
    Saw my Passport's twin on the road yesterday, but had no way to contact the driver as he was not going the same way as I was. Just thought to myself, "please keep safe."
    Let me know if you need any of my info.
    Thanks.
    I would be happy to tell my story about my near accident and the death of my Passport. Let me know what you need from me. I have everything saved on my computer or in a file.
    Thanks.
    I just received this from DOT...

Thank you very much for the correspondence. Could please take 15 minutes to file a complaint with my office at www.safercar.gov . Once you have filed a complaint could you please send me the complaint ID (number) of your complaint. The more information we have on record as a formal complaint the better.

We are in the process of investigating these vehicle and have upgraded the investigation from a Preliminary Evaluation to an Engineering Analysis.....

I filed a report with them... I will get the media ball, rolling this weekend...
    I am acquainted with Susan Wornick...she was instrumental in breaking the Toyota issues so I am fairly confident that she will do something.

I'll figure out how to get a hold of you all soon...

Stay tuned!
    I've done that. That's NHTSA. I think I actually have filed with them 3 times. If you go to their website and follow the instructions, the 1998 Honda Passport has several frame rust complaints, the first in 2008. Obviously I just looked for my vehicle and it's year. But I found it interesting that that complaints were from 1 year prior to my incident. And since yours just happened, and mine occurred 1 year ago, well, you see the pattern. But who looks for info like this unless there is an issue? No one.
    Again, let us all know what you need from us.
    Here's the facebook page ...probably a good place to make contact...I suggest everyone join, unless there is a problem...
    I am moving fast on this so give me a heads up if I miss anything.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=187031801231&ref=search&sid=1637479541.283- 254114..1&v=info#!/group.php?gid=187031801231
    Rodeorot:

The same thing happened to me on 2/10, I also got my from Showcase on the Cape. You can count me in on anything you need (pics, media interview, complaints filed, ect...) to get this ball up and running. My Rodeo looks like a 3yr vehicle from the top, but is junk underneath. As you pointed many of these cars are still being used and sold. "Time bombs" waiting to go off

shauno
    I still need to figure out the best approach to get this info to the media.
    My concern is that due to the Toyota issues this may be perceived as trying to jump on the bandwagon and the problem may get downplayed
    My opinion is that it is as serious or more so than the frame issues Toyaota is having
    . I am going to try and assemble some kind of press release package I think.
    My suggestion is again to go to the facebook page and post your pictures there.
    feel free to contact me via that route.
    Has anyone had any feedback from Isuzu?
    I am thinking of trying to get a hold of the parent company. My guess is that they are pretty scared at the moment and may try some kind of preemptive damage control? Does anyone have contact info for Isuzu other than CA?
    Thanks in advance

Thanks Mr. XXXXXXX,

Would you mind if I shared the information you provided me with my contacts at Isuzu's safety office? In particular the pictures of you vehicle, your complaint you filed on NHTSA's website and the description of the incident you provided in your initial email to me.

Best Regards,

Derek L. Rinehardt
    Safety Defects Engineer / Federal Investigator
    U.S Department of Transportation
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    Office of Defects Investigation, Vehicle Controls Division
    1200 New Jersey Ave, SE
    W48-219, NVS-213
    Washington, DC 20590
    Office: (202) 366-3642, (877) 536-8368 x63642
    Fax: (202) 366-1767
    Hi,

You may know we have done similar stories involving Toyota Tacomas and Tundra trucks...but yours is the first complaint we've received about these other models. Do you have documents from your repair shop about the problem and costs to repair? And if we do a story, will you do an interview with us?

Thank you for watching Channel 5.
    Jen
  • brokenrinkerbrokenrinker Member Posts: 2
    I'm wondering how many people dealing with this have vehicles that are still under the drivetrain warranty?
    I understand that the drivetrain warranty doesn't cover the frame but if a component that is under warranty (rear axil for instance) required replacement or repair and the vehicle didn't have enough frame left to bolt the new part on the car it would make it pretty hard for the dealer to comply with the terms of the warranty.

What made me think about it was the post above from somebody that said the rear axil shifted so much that they couldn't move the car forward without the tires grinding on the fender wells.

I know this doesn't solve anything but it occured to me that if a manufacturer warranties the drive train for 10 year or 120,000 miles it sort of implies that they expect the frame to last at least as long as the engine/transmission/etc. Seems like it makes their case pretty indefensible. Just thinking out loud. I'm the original owner of my Rodeo and it's still under factory drivetrain warranty. The frame hasn't rusted out yet but based on what I've been reading I suspect that it's headed that way.
    Rodeorot, I am confused by your last posting.

Did you post am email from Jen at Channel 5 (Boston)? Is she going to look at this thread? It won't take too much research for her to read back to the beginning of this thread and find a bunch of owners. I think there's at least 5 on this thread from massachusetts alone.

I have a receipt from Midway Isuzu in Natick stating the frame is rotted and unrepairable. When I spoke with the service manager over there he says that he has seen this quite a bit in the past and the only option they can offer is to replace the frame at $10K.

Just have her provide her phone # and info either here or on the FB page and we can all give her a call.

Thanks
    I even tried the calling Isuzu on their own Corrison warranty and they wouldn't budge. We had 85,000 miles on car. They told me this was for the exterior painted body only and NOT the frame...which is BS. You tell me where this statement excludes the frame? It doesn't!

http://www.isuzu.com/owners_warranty_2000to2002.jsp

6-Year/100,000-Mile Perforation From Corrosion Limited Warranty
    Isuzu vehicles excel in a plethora of extreme conditions. Scouring salt air. Blistering desert heat. Corroding winter muck. No matter how abrasive the environment, you can feel confident your Isuzu vehicle will hold up. And to be sure, it's covered for 6 years or 100,000 miles against perforation from corrosion.
    With all the news about the lack of action by our government...Who wants to report the LACK of ACTION BY NHSTA as a case in point of the lack of them to do or take any action on this problem?
  • marinesmommarinesmom Member Posts: 15
    Hello everyone sorry I haven't posted anything lately. But we had alot of snow and I was unable to get the pictures I needed of my death trap Izuzu Rodeo. But I now have the pictures of the rust and broken sway bar.

The pictures are totally shocking! The frame of my car looks alot like Rodeorot's. It's sad that the outside of my car is beautiful but you look underneath it and you can't believe you were driving around in something so dangerous! :-(
    howardru-

I was only following up on the Rodeo- didn't think to look at the Axiom. Thanks for sharing the photos!
  • bbrown55bbrown55 Member Posts: 16
    ok......is this issue going any place - people are getting into accidents, cars are sitting in driveways - can anyone help
    Hey Rodeorot,

I got your posting, it looks like things are starting to SLOWLY move foward. Did you want me to contact this "Jen" @ch 5? I not sure what you would like & don't want to step on any toes. But I want this thing (the Rodeo) out of my driveway. I feel as if I have been used by Isuzu because of their response to the whole thing.
    I'm just trying to stay in the loop, let me know what to do.

Shauno

ps; .
    I sent a note to Channel 5 Consumer Advocate last week. The email was to Jen and she copied Susan Wornick. I got the same chain mail letter back from Jen as was posted by Rodeorot. I indicated that this seemed to be the exact same response I saw posted here and asked if anyone would call or contact me, and it went dark. No response from anyone.

I had also sent a note to WHDH Channel 7 consumer advocate and never heard anything back. Help me Hank, must be out helping someone else!
    Bostons Channel Five are sending a crew to do an interview with me and Susan Wornick on the 26th.
    If anyone has any notifications from Isuzu or invoices etc. from repair shops or insurance company saying the vehicle is totaled, can you get in touch with me...use the facebook contacts. I am still waiting to hear from Isuzu.
    I would like to give the media a list of owners in this area but I need your permission to give them this info even just your first name and town you live in...
    can you get a hold of me via facebook?
    Information sent to Jen as you requested. My husband bought a 1998 Rodeo last week. It is a parted out vehicle, no engine, no tranny, stripped interior. BUT, the frame is perfect, and it is a 2 wheel drive. So, my question is this, are all the affected vehicles 4 wheel drives? Mine is a 4 wheel drive. He and my son are going to do a frame swap, so we will have the entire rusted frame to take photos of once the job is started. May be a 1-2 month project, but I am fortunate that they can do this. Cost $250.00 for the vehicle. Cost of repair, who knows since my guys are doing it. I have heard of costs up to $8000 for the same job through a garage, and since they are not worth that much, it is not prudent to go that way.
    Back to the question, are all affected vehicles 4 wheel drives?
    I will try to set up an facebook account to touch base w/you. The most direct/faster means would be at c/o "woodisgood@hotmail.com. I'm planning on sending mine to a local repair shop for a quote once the ball got rolling.
  • bobi74bobi74 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,
    The same thing happened to me here in London, Ontario just yesterday with my 2001 Isuzu Rodeo. I heard a clunk and I felt the back end of the car start swaying back and forth. I got out of the car and looked under to my surprise saw that the stabilizer bar had broken off due to rust, the other side is rotten as well but hasn't fallen off yet. Just a year and a half ago I had to replace my engine with a used one that burns about a litre of oil a week. Have you heard of any recalls or any sort of compensation for the rust problem or even the engine?
    I can't say anything, except stay tuned
    edited March 2010
    I just finished being interviewed by Susan Wornick from Bostons Channel five.
    Feel free to email your story to her assistant Sarah.
    Hopefully this will get aired and get the ball rolling.

Here is her address...

sstolper@hearst.com
  • bbrown55bbrown55 Member Posts: 16
    How did your interview go???? I did speak with the Safety Board in DC last week - hopefully things will begin to move along.
    When will the interview be aired? Will we be able to see it? Since I am from Kentucky, it obviously won't be aired locally. Is there a link to view it? Thanks for what you are doing.
    No idea when it will air... I don't know if I am going to be able to watch it!
    for those of you who aren't familiar with Susan Wornick,
    tenacious is an understatement!
    I think she may want to talk to a few more people before getting it put together.
    I'll post a link to it when it comes out.
    In the meantime... keep plugging away with your local media as well as Isuzu and NHTSA. I have also been thinking perhaps the Honda route may be a good one...They are really pushing safety and longevity in their ads. Isuzu is essentially all done with their light vehicle division in this country, but a Honda recall/lawsuit would really help get Isuzu back in the picture... I did try to emphasize that in my interview but it depends on how it gets edited...
  • doestedoeste Member Posts: 1
    My name is Doug and i aslo own a 2001 isuzu rodeo 4 door 4x4 with 127,000 miles on it with the same frame rust problem. i live in warminster PA. I was driving last night and everytime i pressed on the gas the rear end of the rodeo would shift from side to side. it wasn't until i heard a grinding noise from under the truck that made me pull off the road. i looked under and found the frame rail under the driver side rear door was rusted away. I could stick my hand in the holes. i found that the traction bar connection rusted away from the frame. i am in the process of finding out what to do next. if you have any info that can help me please let me know as soon as possible. please contact me at dpoeste@hotmail.com with anything information or anything i can do to help. Thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    please contact me at...

People prefer to keep the conversation here. That way everyone benefits.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I did contact Honda America back in 2009 after my Passport rusted and nearly wrecked. They were no help. If you go back through my Edmund posts, to the very early ones, you will see the phone # for Honda, along with the names of the people I spoke to, Tony Lopez and Brian Philbin, with their extension #. They denied any liability, warranty, or responsibility. Basically, too bad, so sad was their take on my situation.