Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo Frame Rust

Comments

• marinakymarinaky Member Posts: 64
    My husband has the1998 2 wheel drive Rodeo almost completely stripped down to the frame. Once he gets the frame off of my Passport, and the Passport onto the Rodeo frame, I will be able to post photos of the entire rusted Passport frame, which should be interesting. Stay tuned for the progress on the frame swap.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can park your photos in an album on your CarSpace page if you need a place to host them.

Sounds like a project!
  • punkguy1978punkguy1978 Member Posts: 5
    Hi guys my name is mike I just two months ago bought what I thought was a very nice Isuzu Rodeo LS 2000. I do like the vehicle the bodys nice it runs nice but the back of the frame is getting fixed tomorrow my upper spring mount is into the floor boards. I'm going to pay the $$$ to get the rear frame rails replaced and a new alignment. I bought this car as a one owner vehicle in great shape its been in PA its whole life so I thought the issue was localized here but I was wrong so I'll try to get some pics up and posted before and after. I already filed a complaint with nhtsa what else do I need to do?
    thanks
    mike
    Go back through the posts to see what is next. You do need to contact Isuzu and file a claim/case with them, will need your VIN for that. Contact Derek Rinehardt, federal investigator, all info is in previous posts right here at Edmunds. Sorry to hear about your vehicle. Really sad to know you only have owned this for 2 months, that stinks. Not just in PA, it is across the nation and Canada.
    Will be happy to do that, Steve. Thanks for the recommendation. Rodeo is totally off, frame will get pressure washed, and those will be posted for all. Once again, the 2 wheel drives are not affected as far as I can tell. Anyone have a rusted 2 wheel drive, or is it all just the 4 wheel drives?
    Contacted the local Wave 3 troubleshooter again, Louisville, Kentucky. Turns out the previous one was no longer there that I had contacted several times, now there is a Derrick .... there. Left him several e mails and a voice mail. Plus the e mails were copies of the trouble shooters edmunds messages that you guys had contacted, PA and Mass. See if anything comes of this. Hopefully if he sees that other stations picked up the story, he will be interested in following up.
    Called Honda today. Apparently after 6 months they close the case, my case was closed and I had to open a new case. If your case was opened 6 months ago or less, call Honda or Isuzu and restate your case so it doen't get swept under the rug like mine did. Spoke to a very kind young lady, but couldn't do anything other than take my info and give me a case #. Still denying a recall. Still denying liability or knowledge.
    Don't be discouraged. We have come so far in the last few months. If we get these stories out to the public, Honda and Isuzu are going to have to do something. Lets keep pushing for the recall. Every day on facebook, 1 or 2 more people join the group, unfortunately for them. Just the same way we found the groups, by having the rust issue.
    I spoke to the local troubleshooter, he is going to try and get a film crew together to come out and get both the Rodeo and Honda frames, interview us and get our story. Thanks to Rich and others for pushing this aspect. The Honda frame is out from under my Passport, and the condition is beyond what we expected. I took almost 80 photos of it today, and when we sat here and just looked at them on the computer screen, it was hearbreaking. And people are driving these around in this condition, that is the scary part.
    Anyone else have anything to report or anything new?
  • jodic1jodic1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Honda Passport that the frame is rotted on both sides form the front of rear tires back it wouldn't pass inspection the pasport only has 76000 miles on it and the body looks great put a complaint in with honda not help! put a complaint in with NHTSA I have always sworn by Honda but this has a honda name made by Izzsu got the frame welded but upset my son has a 1995 toyota 4 runner in better shape than my Honda!!!!
    Go back through the posts, and follow the directions. Call Honda, file a case with them (you will need your vin #), ask to speak to Christeen Miller, that is who I spoke to earlier this week. If she says this is the first case she has been informed about, remind her that she received a call from another owner 1998 Passport, earlier this week. Contact your local tv station, let them know that there are several news reports being done on the story, do they want to cover it too? Pittsburgh, Louisville and Mass have the stories and are running with them.
    Every day, more and more people are posting about their vehicles. Which means there are still a lot more out there, and one of them is going to end up in a crash causing severe injuries or death. Honda and Isuzu, take note.
  • dougw2dougw2 Member Posts: 4
    Drivers side frame rusted at trailing arm bracket, seperated and wheel went forward against wheel well. Luckly in drive way 5 MPH. Year later driver side frame rusted at upper shock and coil spring mounts. Filed complaint with NHTSA. DOT Vehicle Safety Hotline: For more information dial NHTSA's toll-free hotline at
    (888) 327-4236 8:00AM to 10:00PM ET Monday-Friday. Took vehicle to Honda Dealer today 4/8/10 dealer service department took pictures and wrote report. Body upper and lower is in good shape. To look at vehicle it is very deceiving that the frame would be the only thing rusting. I urge you to check your frames at the points listed. Use a poker the rust seems to be from the inside out. The dealer found two places that looked fine till he hit it with a screwdriver. As soon as I get my hard copy from NHTSA I will be sending them pictures, and dealers report, Honda, and Isuzu needs to step up and make ammends. I hope for a recall so the unexpecting will have their frames inspected.
  • rustedisuzurustedisuzu Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    Help! I went to get a muffler replaced on my 2000 Rodeo LS and the mechanic freaked out -- he said my frame was totally rusted and unsafe. There are holes and cracks clear through. He told me to park the car -- don't drive it is very dangerous. I am so very very upset as I can't totally can't afford a new car. I've had it since it was new. The body is in good shape and I do regular maintenance on the engine. I see here that this is a somewhat common problem. Can anyone give me some direction? What did you do to resolve this? Is it fixable? Who does work like this? Is there a recall brewing? Any help or advice that you can give me would be truly appreciated.My email is lseabold@aol.com. I am in shock. Never expected this. Thanks so much. Linda Seabold
    Is Honda fixing your Passport? I saw you mentioned the dealer report. Is the dealer going to do something about the frame rust? Did they tell you how many others they had seen or that yours was the first? And I am assuming you fixed the initial problem years ago, but the rust just kept going. Did you file a report with the initial episode? What was the fix that lasted until now, new metal welded on?
    Have you contacted your local TV station trouble shooter to get them in the picture? Stories are being done all over the country on this. I did my interview today. Boston, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Detroit, many more.
    Every day, there are new posts from unsuspecting drivers/owners that this has happened to them. It seems like it is getting to be much more frequent, probably due to the age of the vehicles.
    Honda and Isuzu do need to do something. I had to file a new claim with Honda last week. Turns out that after 6 months, they closed the case. Guess that is one way to "get it done". Not the right way, but out of sight, out of mind.
    Well, we will be in sight very soon. Honda, Isuzu and the entire country will have their eyes on us.
    This is even bigger than the Toyota story. Toyota at least stepped up to the plate. Honda and Isuzu are side stepping the problem, because they don't recognize it as being a problem.
    Frames falling of of vehicles that look perfect is a problem. And I hope this is done before a fatallity occurs.
  • mosalemmosalem Member Posts: 1
    I got exactly the same problem in my 1998 Rodeo, and when I took it to the the body shop I found 3 other Rodeos with the same problem!
  • james7706james7706 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Rodeo S 2WD w/ about 60K miles. Interior is in very good shape. Some minor rust on the outside. I knew I needed shocks, exhaust and a starter. When they put it up on a lift this week, the garage called to give me the bad news about the frame ... rotted thru and needs a new rear end ... but they are not sure they can fix it so are getting a second opinion from a frame guy. I was shocked like you. At least we were not in an accident. I do not know what I will do yet ... depends on what the garage tells me. I live on an Island where the speed limit is 20mph so I may chance fixing it. However, based on the comments I've seen, repairing for highway driving is riskier unless the rust is relatively minor. If a serious injury or fatality has not already occurred from rust thru on a rodeo or passport, I believe it could happen and action is necessary. I will try to get pictures taken and may take the story to my local paper and regional news center. This was certainly a major expense and a hidden danger that many of us were not counting on and it does not seem fair. How many others are out there that do not read this forum? I certainly do not want anyone to die or get injured and It would certainly help me if we could be compensated somehow. Just sharing my frustration.
  • bbrown55bbrown55 Member Posts: 16
    Not sure where you live - but call your TV station - and follow the threads of what people are doing. File with the Transportation Safety in DC - in these threads the address and name of the person, write a letter to Isuzu in California and documentation....take pictures of the rot - we had ours fixed $2000 by a very good frame welder and everyone agrees he did a great job - our car looked great (2001) and low miles - but had a swiss cheese frame! they are working on a re-call so the more you do to advocate for yourself the better you will be in getting your money back or part of the recall. Derek Reinhardt is the man's name in Washington - he is going crazy with all the complaints - but I have spoken to him several times and the process is moving foward. Documentation, filling out the form and patience.
    Still waiting and calling. Called Honda again Friday 4/30/10, pretty much told the same thing, but I did get a case number from them to add to the information I'll be sending to NHTSB. I also called Isuzu Friday 4/30/10 and spoke with a Jim in customer service. Was told they were aware of the problem, unfortunately for me the Passports are being handled through Honda, I wonder what response I would have received if I had a Rodeo?
  • rusted98rusted98 Member Posts: 1
    I just saw on the local 11 pm news Channel 5 in Boston MA that my rodeo rust isn't from living in NE!!!!it is literally rusting away, wheels as well. The body is in great shape just don't look underneath!!!!There has been a class action suit filed and supposedly NHTSA is investigating claims. In the meantime what is the consumer to do?? My mechanic told me not to drive far that everything is rusting away!!!
    The woman you saw on the TV station Channel 5 is a member of the Facebook web page Recall Isuzu Rodeo Honda Passport Frame Rust. If you to there, you will also get help. And photos, I just uploaded a bunch of photos of my frame, as it is totally removed from my Honda Passport. My husband is in the process of doing a frame swap. I personally know the woman, because I too have been interviewed for a TV investigational program on my Honda Passport. But, if you take the time and go through the previous posts here on this forum, you will get all the info you need how to submit your claims. When you contact Isuzu and they tell you that you are the first to have this problem/complaint, just know that's not true. Because they will tell you that. I personally posted the letter on this great web site from Derek Rinehardt, who is the federal investigator for all of us. Just follow the instructions and get yourself included with us. Good luck.
    And when they mentioned Kentucky and there was a woman in the blue shirt by her vehicle, that was me. My story will air within the next week.
  • smithfannysmithfanny Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 rodeo same problems as everyone else. Talked to Isuzu today and they told me that they were aware of the problem as well, and gave me a Case Number. I Just Put 842.00 in my front end at the garage, just to find out that the problem was the frame at my Back drivers side tire is totally rusted into.
    I started to look at the Craigs List and Ebay listings on Honda Passports and Isuzu Rodeo. I ask the seller one question "What is the frame condition just in front of the rear wheel where the trailing arm connects to frame and just above the wheel at coil spring and shock mount?" Copy and paste. When they respond if they do, You can send them the info for filing a complaint. I'm just looking for a good frame to put my good body on.
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    That's what I tell my wife :-p
  • cgliddencglidden Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo LS with the same problems!!! I was driving mine to work when I heard a horrible noise and had a hard time steering the vehicle to keep it on the road. I thought I had a flat tire. The rear of the car was sitting/rubbing on the rear tires. The car was non drivable. (Thank goodness I wasn't on the Interstate going 65ml/hr--who knows what would of happened). My husband who is a mechanic took a look under the car and the frame was broken/rusted completely through at the wheel stabiizer bar. I called Isuzu and they gave me a case number (June 2008), they told me they had no other complaints of frame breakage and there was nothing they could do for me. VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!!
    I had the frame welded because it wasn't worth anything the way it was, and I couldn't in good faith sell or trade the vehicle knowing it had a broken frame. The undercarriage of the car continues to have severe corrosion, I'm afraid to drive it very far, I use it minimally, which is a real inconvience, my husband and I share a vehicle. Isuzu needs to fix this and do something for the consumer!!!!!
  • darth_venomdarth_venom Member Posts: 43
    I have heard a lot about this over the last 5 years or so and this problem seems to be common in the newer models (1998 & Up). I do have and drive a 1992 Rodeo 4x4 V6 LS and when I first heard about this I was greatly concerned & had a look under mine in 2005. Ny frame was in excellent condition w/no corrosion to this day (I just had to replace Driveshaft Carrier Bearing & frame is OK). I think though the newer models that have this problem have a different type of rear suspension than my 92 though.
    I wish you the best of luck with Isuzu.

Does anyone know if the A/C in my 1992 has the old R12 or the newer R13?

Thanks for reading and again, best of luck.
    Phoenix
  • tom232003tom232003 Member Posts: 5
    Yeah, I have the same trouble. I have a 1999 with the same exact trouble. what can iDO?
    Yeah me, I have a 1999
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    Join the FaceBook group called "Recall Isuzu Rodeo and Honda Passport".

Follow everyone's direction. Download the word document, complete and email, fax and post back to NHSTA.

Link right here
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=187031801231&ref=ts

Get in line with the rest of us....
  • deernfishdeernfish Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1999 passport mine just got sideways on me last week, now it is worthless i can put my fingers throw the whole back half of the frame. any one have any suggestion please let me know. it only has 116,000 mile on it. I have tried to call the rinhardt guy but have not heard from him yet. help!!!!!!
    Do you have Isuzu phone number? What do I have to do to file a claim?
  • tomb3742tomb3742 Member Posts: 2
    If anyone has information about a class action suit in this matter, please let me know. I have a 2001 Rodeo and the stabilizer arm just broke off the frame due to severe rust. There is not a way to fix this problem as far as I can tell. The car is now undriveable
  • tomb3742tomb3742 Member Posts: 2
    If you have a name and number at Isuzu, I would appreciate it your giving it to me. This just happened to my car and it is such a shame because everything else on the car is holding up well.
  • gurlzyllagurlzylla Member Posts: 8
    Call the NHTSA Vehicle Safety Hotline to file your complaint 888-327-4236.
  • ryanbill31ryanbill31 Member Posts: 3
    Dan.Pearse@dot.gov

This is who contacted me about my 99 passport frame rust issue. He said he is the one who investigates to see if a recall is warranted. I sent him pictures and all info pertaining to the vehicle. He called me as well to conduct an over the phone interview about the vehicle. He did tell me it was a slow process.
  • rodeoparodeopa Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone! I’m finally getting to post something on this forum and it looks like it has been inactive for over a month. Hopefully people are still reading it even if they aren’t writing in. This is my first post here but I’ve been following it since December of 2009. I never joined before this because I felt I had nothing to contribute that hadn’t already been covered. I want to thank all of you who shared such valuable information & let me know we weren’t alone in this. My husband & I are also victims of the Isuzu Corporation. We have a (superficially) beautiful 2001 Rodeo that is permanently parked & rusting away in our driveway. Our story was told in a letter that I sent to my local Pittsburgh news stations. I was going to share it with you just in case it would help anyone else interested in contacting their local stations but I don’t see any way of attaching a file here and it seems too lengthy to include in with the general posts. It was nothing spectacular, but it worked! In March I was interviewed for about an hour by Jim Parsons at WTAE Channel 4 in Pittsburgh. I supplied him with every bit of information I had collected & arranged for him to interview my mechanic & film the undercarriage of the vehicle while it was up on a lift. I think anything & everything you can offer to illustrate the severity of this issue is worth the effort. He realized that the story was much bigger than he originally thought & it took awhile to complete. After many delays & postponements, the story finally aired last month. Below is the link if you’d like to view it. I don’t know how much of a difference the story will make, but if it has informed even just one unaware Rodeo owner of this hazard, I feel it was worth it…

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/team4/24228073/detail.html
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard and thanks for the link. It surely is an eyeopener.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • lilredrodeolilredrodeo Member Posts: 6
    check out Isuzu recalls, it is finally happening
    Thanks for sharing, first time I have seen this broadcast. I am in the broadcast, from Kentucky. My Passport is the one raised behind me, as my husband and son replaced the frame with a rust free one from a 1998 2 wheel drive Rodeo. It seems that the 2 wheel drives are not affected by the rust, only the 4x4's, for whatever reason, I don't know.
    As everyone knows by now, we have won the recall as of October 1st. Make sure you file a claim with your vehicle's manufacturer, and with NHTSA too. The recalls covers 23 states, 118,000 vehicles, years 1998-2002, have been recalled and the manufacturers are supposed to send us all a letter instructing us how to go about getting our vehicles fixed. Even if your vehicle is not rusted, they will provide some type of anti-corrosive coating to the frame. As our frame was replaced by my husband and son, I am not sure where I stand, but I am still going to take the Passport into the Honda garage/dealership after I receive my recall letter and see what they want to do about it. I am also going to take my photos from the rusted frame, also with the piece of original frame we saved.
    It's interesting, even after I called Honda America in April and May of this year, I was again told that I was the first person to complain of this problem. Now they finally have come forward to admit there is a problem (thus the recall). Very disheartening to deal with a large company such as Honda and to know that I was not being told the truth. But in the end, all of us working and fighting for a recall were thrilled to hear the news on October 1st, we won, we were heard, we pushed our case with using the internet, facebook, forums such as Edmunds and were able to get others, who might not have known where to turn, the information they needed to add to the recall numbers.
    I think thanks needs to go to Edmunds Forum for keeping everyone posted on what is happening, and for allowing us to post here to help others. Edmunds has been here for me, and has provided a lot of good information for everyone affected by this frame rust problem. And it has been great that not only we can share what we learned to help others, but also find out info that we may have missed. Thanks to our host, Stever, for helping us get to our goal, the recall of these vehicles.
    If you know of someone who is driving one of these vehicles, make sure they call their manufacturer and also file the claim with NHTSA, that is still important. I have been contacted by other Rodeo and Passport owners, both own 1997's and one lives in California, and they are disappointed that their vehicles were not included in the recall. I just have to say that if your vehicle is outside the recall parameters, still contact Honda or Isuzu and NHTSA, because there is the possibility that the recall could be extended to include other years or states, if they get enough cases and claims.
  • marinesmommarinesmom Member Posts: 15
    Thank you Marinaky and edmunds for all that you did for us. I'm so glad that we won the recall. My car is still sitting in my driveway. I started to sell it for parts and I'm glad I held out and waited for the recall. I'm just waiting to recieve my letter. I was told they would pay my tow bill since the only dealership is two hours away from where I live. They said they would see if it could be repaired. I hate to tell them but I had 3 mechanics look at my car and they told me it was unfixable and it was a death trap. The body of my car is beautiful and it's a shame that the frame is worthless junk. So again thank you for taking a stand and getting this all started. Now I just sit and wait for my letter.
  • marinesmommarinesmom Member Posts: 15
    Auto Recall Date: SEP 22, 2010

Vehicle Component: SUSPENSION:REAR
    Estimated Vehicles Affected: 149992
    Model Affected
    2001 ISUZU RODEO

2001 Isuzu Rodeo Defect Summary:
    ISUZU IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 1998-2002 ISUZU RODEO AND MODEL YEAR 2002 ISUZU AXIOM VEHICLES, AND HONDA IS RECALLING CERTAIN 1998-2002 HONDA PASSPORT VEHICLES, THAT WERE ORIGINALLY SOLD, OR ARE CURRENTLY REGISTERED, IN THE STATES OF MAINE, NEW HAMPSHIRE, VERMONT, MASSACHUSETTS, RHODE ISLAND, CONNECTICUT, NEW YORK, NEW JERSEY, PENNSYLVANIA, DELAWARE, MARYLAND, THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, WEST VIRGINIA, OHIO, INDIANA, MICHIGAN, ILLINOIS, WISCONSIN, MINNESOTA, IOWA, MISSOURI, AND KENTUCKY. VEHICLES THAT HAVE EXPERIENCED SUSTAINED EXPOSURE TO HIGHLY CORROSIVE MATERIALS USED IN SOME JURISDICTIONS FOR ROAD DEICING PURPOSES MAY EXPERIENCE EXCESSIVE CORROSION IN THE VICINITY OF THE FORWARD MOUNTING POINT BRACKET FOR THE LEFT OR RIGHT REAR SUSPENSION LOWER LINK PRIOR TO THE TIME THAT SUCH CORROSION WOULD NORMALLY BE EXPECTED.

Defect Consequence:
    EXCESSIVE CORROSION MAY RESULT IN THE LEFT OR RIGHT REAR SUSPENSION LOWER LINK BRACKET BECOMING DETACHED FROM THE FRAME, WHICH CAN AFFECT VEHICLE HANDLING AND POTENTIALLY CAUSE A CRASH.

Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE REAR SUSPENSION LOWER LINK BRACKET AREA. FOR VEHICLES IN WHICH LITTLE OR NO CORROSION IS FOUND, THE AREA WILL BE TREATED WITH AN ANTI-CORROSIVE COMPOUND. FOR VEHICLES IN WHICH CORROSION HAS DAMAGED THE REAR SUSPENSION LOWER LINK BRACKET AND AFFECTED ITS CONNECTION TO THE VEHICLE FRAME, A REINFORCEMENT BRACKET WILL BE INSTALLED. IN THE RARE EVENT THE CORROSION IS SO SEVERE THAT THE REINFORCEMENT BRACKET REMEDY WOULD NOT BE APPROPRIATE, ISUZU AND HONDA WILL DEVELOP AN APPROPRIATE REMEDY. ALL INSPECTIONS AND REMEDIES WILL BE PROVIDED FREE OF CHARGE FOR VEHICLES THAT ARE 10 YEARS OLD OR LESS. FOR VEHICLES OLDER THAN 10 YEARS, ISUZU WILL OFFER A FREE REMEDY, BUT ONLY IF THE VEHICLE IS PRESENTED TO AN ISUZU SERVICE FACILITY, OR HONDA DEALER (AS APPLICABLE), DEALER WITHIN 12 MONTHS OF WHEN OWNER NOTIFICATIONS WERE ISSUED. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN EARLY DECEMBER 2010. ISUZU OWNERS MAY CONTACT ISUZU AT 1-800-255-6727. HONDA OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.

Estimated Vehicles Affected:

Notes: ISUZU MANUFACTURING SERVICES OF AMERICA
    2001 ISUZU RODEO Recall ID from NHTSA: 01V055000
  • roy54roy54 Member Posts: 2
    i have a isuzu rodeo 2001 and 6 weeks ago my suspension broke away from the frame at 50 miles an hour it wasent fun . i here there is going to be a recall can they still help me.
  • alcjewalcjew Member Posts: 173
    If you live in the recall affected states posted by marinesmom, it would be advisable that you contact Isuzu 1-800-255-6727. Fortunately I live in MA, I called them on Friday, in 5 - 6 weeks they will be mailing owners inspection information. They'll ask your for VIN to insure they have your current address on file. According to them, they are putting together repair kits and training their service mechanics / techs. As an original owner of a 1999 with ~200k mi, it has been a very reliable workhorse. It has all original parts except the typical wear & tear. Good luck.
  • eroeder7966eroeder7966 Member Posts: 1
    Early this evening my 9yo daughter and I were driving to the store. After stopping for a red light I stepped on the gas to proceed and heard a knock from the rear-end. Not thinking there was any problem we continued on our way. When I went to stop for the next traffic light I noticed a slight sway which felt like it was it was from the front. It was only when I hit the gas that I realized that there was a serious problem. The whole rear-end fish tailed slightly to the right. I got into the slow lane as quickly as I possibly could and continued the 1/8 of a mile to our destination. Being aware of this problem I knew what to look for. Sure enough the left-hand side bracket that holds the trailing arm to the frame had seperated and there was a half-inch space between the two pieces and the frame that was left just crumbled in my hands. I plan on calling the ISUZU number 1-800-255-6727 for this recall first thing tomorrow and see how they want to handle this. Though I don't see this problem could possibly be repaired by a bolt-on bracket, after all wouldn't you need something that wasn;t all rotted away to bolt it to? Im permanently disabled and currently un-employed due to health reasons and a truck purchase was not in the plans for now but I guess we'll see what happens. Im just thankful that no one got hurt.
  • alcjewalcjew Member Posts: 173
    I received my notice also.....let the fun begin...work was done 2 years ago...cost us nearly 2000. Have the before and after photos
  • aladydeealadydee Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1997 izuzu rodeo i was looking on internet for rust repair when i came upon web site concerning a recall for 1998-2001 izuzu rodeos.i have the same problem with my 1997, was told rust can not be repaired, was told was dangerous to drive. not sure why 1997 was not included, i would like to know how this recall works and what can i do to get something done about this problem if possible i have already filed a complaint with izuzu and nhtsa. help! cant afford a new car.
  • unsureshawnunsureshawn Member Posts: 5
    SO, I received my letter for the recall on monday at 3:00pm, I called the number and set it up , they showed up at 5:00 pm with a flat bed to pick it up. They told me they were taking it to Peters of Nashua. on wednesday around 1:30 I figured I would just check Peter's as noone had contacted me. Nate at Peters told me my car was not there! they didnt even know it was comming ? so he said I would have to call isuzu back and I did. after getting thru I was transfered several times until finaly a lady came on and started giving me a hard time telling me its not the truck drivers fault , he did what he was told to do and that I needed to go to peters and look for it ! and she proceded to tell me where he parked it, come to find out Isuzu had passed me off to the dispatcher at roadside assistance ! So I again called the dealer and they were really good and actualy walked the lot and still no rodeo ! I called the line once again and got transfered again to roadside assistance ! I hung up and called the original 1 800 255 6727 where I was again transfered and left on hold several times, finally they came back on and said they felt it was delivered to Portsmouth instead of Nashua ! I informed them that the transportation company confermed that it was dropped off in Nashua, He said he would find out and call me back !!! At 6:30 I decided to call and found they did find it , it was at the honda dealer next door and the keys were put in a drop box in a building they no longer use ! and never did anyone say sorry for all this bull ship,
    I dont know why they had troubles in the states !
    Now my unregistered Rodeo is sitting in Nashua and they wont even be looking at it until mid January? not sure why they came and got it now if they arent even going to look at it ? I hope something positive becomes of all this hassle, I was literally on the phone for about 2 hours looking for my car. I hope they figure this out as there are going to be aloyt of them soon and they will be more difficult to keep track of.
    Good luck to all :mad:
  • roy54roy54 Member Posts: 2
    isuzu picked my rodeo up yesterday hpoe they can fix it or buy it back i think they will fix yours aiso call isuzu1-877-460-0706
    I called nashua also, made an appointment and received a call back that they could not inspect it, but I re-read my recall notice and I can mail direct my forms and the documents that prove we had the work done. It states 60 days, but so far things have not always gone well with isuzu....Mr. Rhienhardt has beeen great at the Transportation Safety in DC - and hopefully it will be ok when we proceed to the next step. But, I know that the dealerships are frustrated as they have had a break in communication with the corporation....
  • west357west357 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have the same year and model suv with the same rusting frame problem.
    I have not filed a complaint yet, I was hoping that this recall would cover my year, I plan to go to the dealership to see what they say. Please let me know if you hear anything from Izuzu or the NHTSA.
  • west357west357 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I called Isuzu at the number you posted, i explained that I have a 1997
    Rodeo with frame rust, the lady that i talked with said that Isuzu would not
    cover this year and there was nothing that I could do about this problem.
    I filed a complaint with NHTSA. My next step is to take it to a dealer and see what they are willing to help out with this problem.