Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo Frame Rust

Comments

• tom232003tom232003 Member Posts: 5
    Good luck. My Redeo just when in thursday. The towing company just droped it in the lot with the keys still in it. It sat there for for six days now and the didn't even look at it yet.
  • marinesmommarinesmom Member Posts: 15
    I have not recieved a recall letter. I was told I would recieve it the first week in December. And now when I call the 800 number, I'm told to leave a message. Which I have and they do not return my calls. And there are people recieving their recall letters that filed way after I did. Now what do I do?
  • dennis1023dennis1023 Member Posts: 1
    I received my recall last week in the mail for the 2001 Rodeo Sport Anniversary Edition. I call the 800 at Isuzu and the woman told me exactly what I need to do and gave me the number to the local dealership here in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area, which I called them. I made my appointment for them to look at my SUV two days later on Thursday December 23, 2010. I haven't heard a word so today I decided to call the dealership and they hadn't got the vehicle in the garage to even look at it. I've had three different auto repair facilities inspect the vehicle an all them say they've never seen anything like it in their entire careers;the entire frame from back to front rusted out so badly you can take your finger and push in the frame. The service guy at the dealership tells me on the phone, "yep, based on what I saw, you going to need a level 4 repair!" I am thinking what the heck are you talking about, "REPAIR"??? There is no good frame remaining to attach this so called level 4 bracket repair to the vehicle. So I called the Isuzu Owners line and get some putz on the phone. He tells me that the recall is only to repair the mounting brackets that have broken away from the frame because of rust, yes RUST, but it is not a recall for a rusted out frame and if the dealership tech determines that the level 4 bracket will repair the mounting bracket that would be the repair. Has anyone had this repair done on the level 4 status and is it even safe? I am being told that with a rusted frame, this is just patch work they're doing to get people out of their hair. What are my options with this so called recall now. I've already gone a had to buy a new car when this vehicle almost rolled over and killed me over 3 months ago.
    Update: I recieved my recall they picked my car up tuesday. This morning the mechanic from isuzu called and said he looked at my car and it was the worse one with rust he has ever seen. And he said he refuses to fix the trailing arm. He said he called the isuzu corperate to come in and look at my car, because the rust is beyond repair. He said they will arrive next week to look at my car. Soooooo now I wait to see what they wanna do about it.
  • punkguy1978punkguy1978 Member Posts: 5
    I took my 2000 Rodeo LS to my local dealer and they looked at it and ordered the big kit to repair the frame but on the drivers side there was not enough frame left to attach the kit?????? So I now have an unrepairable rodeo. I called isuzu and they told me that they were working out a buy back program I may get 2000.00 for my rodeo did anyone else hear anything like this?
    Thanks
    mike
  • marinakymarinaky Member Posts: 64
    A buy back program would be great, as it seems that the mechanics haven't been informed as to the full scope of the amount of rust on the frames. Who is kidding who, there is no frame left on these vehicles, and no brackets are going to make the vehicles safe.
    However, $2000.00 is a pretty sad amount. What are we supposed to buy with that?
    Got my letter from Honda...still need to make my appointment. My frame was replaced this past summer by my husband and son. It was featured on a local TV station, investigative reporter, which was cool. I think they want to continue the story and see what happens when I take the Passport into the garage for the undercoating "preventative" and the extra brackets. We have saved 1/4 of the old frame, with the serial # on it for documentation, and that will be coming with me.
    Really waiting to see how this all plays out for the 144,000 - 188,000 affected Rodeo and Passport owners. The saddest thing is the number of people who got tired of waiting and junked their vehicles and now have nothing left. For them, the $2000.00 would be a Godsend towards their new car payments.
    Once again, thanks to our host, Steve-O for staying with us while this all played out, over the past 2-3 years, Edmunds was a big part of helping the owners get together and push this recall through. That and the facebook forum, both reached people that otherwise might not have been made aware that they were not alone in this rusted frame problem.
  • bbrown55bbrown55 Member Posts: 16
    yes, I have spoken with the Isuzu people and the National Transp. Safety and this is something in discussion. Buy back at $2000 was the "figure" I got also. I already had my frame completely re-welded - 2 years ago. It cost us about $2000. to do that - so now I am working on getting our $ back. It was quoted to us that the "frame was like swiss cheese..." - the welder took pictures before and after - and we at that time were only 6 months out of the warranty....

It is a sad state of affairs....The recall has been made - but the issues remain - the companies doing the repair are in mass confusion and do not have the forms or the fixes to take care of this - In many cases they are at a loss. Isuzu denied to me two years ago that they had issues.....that it was all nonsense....guess they should have looked a little closer and got a head start...

We have a review appointment next week to see if the frame work welding was done correctly and if it was then we can process a claim for the welding - the car is in good shape - aside from the frame issue - now repaired - so if you can get it welded completely for $2000. and Isuzu picks up the tab....that may be the way to go....worked well for us
  • unsureshawnunsureshawn Member Posts: 5
    I spoke to someone at owner relations today and he offered me $1500 for my rodeo that was a daily driver in working order before my suspension broke. (as explained in my previous post) When the welder looked at it in my yard he said " no problem " like $300... the next day he called and said the further he looked for decent metal to weld to the more the frame fell apart.
    Now I am told that they will give me $1500 , the cost of installing the bracket, in return for my signing it over to them so they can destroy it ? They are not offering to buy it back from me, So why would I sign it over to them. I feel that there is alot of value left in my car that they are not alowing me to recover. I am currently on hold to let them know that I will sign a release stating that I acknowledge the car to be unsafe for use but I want the car back in my yard as even scrap value is better than nothing !
    and I can use alot of the other parts for other projects. I feel otherwise I should be paid fair market value for the surrender of my car for them to destroy.
    The person I spoke with told me that he saw pictures of my frame and that there is obvious rust holes in the frame that should have been noticed before. I told him again that the holes thru the frame were not there until the welding shop started to look for good metal. When this happened he showed me sections that looked pretty solid, after a few light taps of a hammer it would just crumble away ! I feel this is just an extention of the recalled issue and I am surprised at the way they are acting about it.
    I dont know how everyone else feels about it but I paid alot more for my rodeo and would like to atleast be allowed to try and recover some of my money. I am not sure what will happen but I will repost when someone answers the phone.....
    uuggghhhh.... :mad:
    I have a very good friend with a 99 passport. This being exactly the same as the Rodeo. Honda currently has him in a rental and they are buying back his passport for what he paid for it. How does that make us feel???? What the hell Isuzu ?
  • lilredrodeolilredrodeo Member Posts: 6
    I have a 98 rodeo that would not pass inspection last June, I spent 1300.00 to have the frame rebuilt, then a few months later the bracket broke and cost me another 350.00 to have it fixed. Now after the recall, they say I can send in canceled checks and a bill to have my money refunded. I am working on that since I don't have canceled checks. but I still want to have them check out my rodeo because I know there is more rust. The closest dealer is 50 miles away and I need to make some arrangements because I work. I'll keep ya posted
  • kiki1275kiki1275 Member Posts: 5
    This sounds much too familiar. Almost identical to my situtation, I find it ridiculous that Isuzu is saying that these frames are 'repairable' when you can put your finger through the metal on a frame that is only 9 years old!!! How is it safe and responsible to put a bracket on a rotten frame?? They are telling me they will give me $1500 which is what it would cost them to put the brackets on my truck.....which would still not be driveable due to the corrosion on the rest of the frame that their so called 'recall' does not cover.....I am wondering why the NHTSA is not forcing Isuzu to recall the entire frame and not just a portion of it as the rest of the frame is guaranteed to break and cause more accidents and/or deaths....doesn't seem right. Isuzu should step up and at least give people the current market value of these trucks.....I had to buy a new vehicle, even though I had a perfectly good truck with no other problems, with the expection of the frame!
    I spoke to another person at owner support, he said Isuzu will not give you money and the car back, but the money is so that they dont have to put the kit in. I understand that, but even if the car was squashed for scrap, isnt there value.... I had interest on craigs list in some of the parts before I heard about the recall and removed the ad. I think They should let us have the car back or pay fair market value. I am not even talking about book value but $1500 isnt going to cut it. I had figured $2500 would be fair knowing that they are not looking for us to buy cars from them ever again. I can easily get the rest of the money out of mine by parting it out. But it sounds like they are only going to pay what they pay and thats it.
    It's sad that this is what I had waited for ? after being told in october they would buy it back at "fair market value" if it was not repairable ?
    Maybe he thought I had a pasport in october ?
    total pita... :mad:
    If you call and tell isuzu you are afraid to drive it that far, they will pick it up with a flat bed.
    fyi
    I would like Honda to buy back my Passport for what we paid for it...the ridiculous amount of $28,000 brand new back in 1998. Of course, we were getting a HONDA (so we thought) 4 wheel drive, all options, excellent reviews back then. We have had issues over the years, 4 fuel pumps, alternator x 2, brand new wheel blow out at 200 miles (we had to pay for the replacement), poor seat belts, but that is all over a 12 year period...almost 13 as we purchased it in March of 1998.
    Going to call the dealer we purchased it from and get my appointment set up...I will keep you informed. As mine is drivable due to the frame swap, I am hoping I don't get jerked around. Keep you posted! Unfortunately, the ABS and air bag lights have remained on, despite being to a garage to reset the codes. Hopefully, Honda will do that for us at no charge.
    Too bad they won't reimburse us for medical bills. The tranny and engine fell on my son's hand/thumb during the frame swap process, and he ended up with 3 surgeries, 6 pins and wire wrapped around the remaining bones. 50% loss of his thumb movement (of course, on first glance, they were going to amputate). He had such a bad crush injury that the bones shattered into unusable splinters. $29,000 medical bills. We were fortunate that the Hand Center in Louisville is only 20 minutes away, otherwise the outcome would have been drastically difference and much much worse. Thank goodness for insurance, but still, it cost us around $10,000. Wish we never replaced the frame. I would have loved to have the Passport towed in to Honda and stood there to see what they thought of the frame that has been denied as being as issue for 2 years now. Of course, I was the first to complain (ha ha ha ha!), and they had not hear of any complaints before or after mine (another ha ha).
  • knp412knp412 Member Posts: 17
    I was just offered 1500.00 when I got in the accident it was listed in kelly blue book as 6500 to 7500. This is crap I would like to start a Class action lawsuit . Anyone would like to join please respond the more people we get the more they will have to give in and give us at least 6000.00 or more . I figure there is about 3000 to 8000 people in the same boat as us.
    Actually, 144,000 were included in the original recall, that was the original #. Later figure was approx. 188,000 affected vehicles, so you are talking about a lot of people.
    I think a class action law suit would be a great idea...but what lawyer or law firm wants to take on a corporation as big as Honda America? Would be great if we could find one. Toyota bought back the Tacomas affected by the same frame rust issue (manufactured both our frames and the Tacoma frames), can't understand why Honda won't do the same. Of course, they put their badge on an Isuzu, it never was a Honda.
    Toyota owns part of Isuzu This vehicles were all assembled in South Carolina
    but the parts were made in Japan and China. I think we could find a good lawyer if we all sign up together and/or get NHTSA to go after the real issue here of a rotten frame not rear brackets. I have spoken with Derek from NHTSA many times He was supposed to call me today . I think if we push the issue they may go after the frame instead of the brackets thats not was not the whole issue here.
  • jmcd2jmcd2 Member Posts: 4
    My son was driving my 2001 Rodeo to school and called to tell me that something was seriously wrong. When I had it towed to my mechanic the frame cracked as they were putting in on the flatbed. Mechanic stated car is a total loss. My vehicle was towed to a dealer the day the recall letter came in the mail. I was told that the bracket will not fix my damage. I have been back and forth betweeen Isuzu and dealer as Isuzu claims they have no record of the reports or photos from the dealer. Have not been given an offer as yet but I worked in insurance for twenty one years and I had an appraiser give me the fair market value for my vehicle. They said it was worth 5,500. I will not accept less than that and feel they should pay loss of use. I was going to contact an attorney if they offer less but would be interested in a class action law suit. Also talked to NHTSA and so far the frame is not part of the recall. Can't understand why if this many people are affected. Everyone needs to contact NHTSA.
    I put in a new case/claim with the NHTSA the other day for the entire frame rot, as this bracket nonsense is not right! How can they tell me that they can put the brackets on my rotten truck frame and fulfill their 'recall' obligation, however, your truck will still not be drivable or safe???? Really! The NHTSA needs to step in here and force Isuzu and Honda to do the right thing and make this right for people who are out a perfectly good vehicle other than this....and where forced to buy a new vehicle.
  • madinmassmadinmass Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2011
    I have had my Rodeo for 9 years, I bought it brand new 12/01. Six months ago it needed some repairs, and prior to doing the repair, I asked the service dept to look at the frame before I spent the $400.00 on the engine. I was told the frame looked okay and they proceeded with the work. Now I am wondering if they really had a good look at the frame! I took my Rodeo in for the recall inspection, and was told that the frame was totally corroded. Now I am in the middle of a battle that I never could have imagined. I have had it with Isuzu and their tactics. Friday my Rodeo was not repairable and I was told I would receive an offer on Monday. Monday comes and I get a call and wouldn't you know..... a second look at the photos and my Rodeo can be repaired under the recall, but the frame is so corroded that the service manager at the dealership doesn't think he will be able to lift it up to do the repair and even if I have it repaired it will be unsafe and will not pass inspection. Furthermore, I have to sign a release stating that I know the vehicle is unsafe and should not be driven. I told Isuzu that I could not believe they would even suggest that my vehicle could be repaired, their response....the recall is for the brackets not for the frame, well if the frame is so corroded, why would you try to attach brackets to it! Isuzu is well aware of this and offered me $1500.00 (the cost of the repair) if I chose to forgo their recall remedy. I will not accept the money and I am not going to let Isuzu off the hook. If they want my car off the road, they will pay me what my car is worth! I have written a letter of complaint to the NHTSA and to the State Attorney General. Hopefully, the recall will be revisited and amended to included the entire frame. I told the dealer to go ahead with the repair. I'm ready to play their game!
    I cannot tell you how mad I am at the manipulation of words in the letter to exclude the word "frame". instead they choose the word "area " .... area of what ?.... the frame ? Exactly where is the bracket ? is it replacing the current bracket ? or the link on the axle ? no ... ? hmmmm ? is it to reinforce the link to bracket attachment ? well no that seems to still be attached real well.... this is so clearly the frame that is the issue, however alot of the complaints were posted under suspension components ! everyone needs to post this as a structural frame issue. I beleive we are being shown how our legal system works at the moment. I cannot afford a layer or I would be all over it.... they should hope the next lottery jackpot winner is not one of us ! I too am ready to play the game. I need to know how to contact someone in NH that can help... noone seems to reply to my messages or returns my calls ? I too feel we have an open and shut case. Any judge can look at a small number of these to see that even with the potion they are putting on.... I am not an idiot... I looked this car over well... the issue is not something that is visible on the outside Even after it broke, the welder that looked at mine said " no problem " He thought it would be easy.... after a few minutes of tapping around with a hammer the frame now looks like swiss cheese ! I watched and also demonstrated the integrity of the frame and how easily what appears to be solid falls apart before your eyes !
    I have been on the phone several times and would like to just take the $1500 but I feel that they are not going to be able to secue the link to the frame.... I have not given the go ahead yet. I am in if anyone needs more pictures or a statement... or witness.... I may go down and make a video of my frame and the "area" the recall is speaking of... because the bracket is not the issue ! :mad:
    From what I understand, and I could be wrong, but if a garage or a mechanic knowingly releases an unsafe vehicle back to the owner, and an accident occurs, that garage or mechanic is liable. So don't sign anything stating you know the vehicle is unsafe...they are just covering their butts and trying to get around a federal law, which is illegal. There is no way that brackets on these rusted frames are going to make it safe. There is NO GOOD METAL to braze or weld any type of bracket to. The rust has not been caused by salt on the roads, the rust stated inside the frame and worked its way out. I know, because when we did our frame swap, it was very obvious by the flaking off of the layers of metal. The inside of the frame was worse than what was visible on the outside of the frame. It flakes off in huge pieces, layers, if you would, and crumbles into metallic dust. So don't let them try and talk you into anything. They know this, and the offer they are giving to everyone is ridiculous. Honda and Isuzu know that they should do the right thing, but by offering a small amount of money, they are hoping to appease the buyers and make us all go away. Guess what, we are not going away. I have been after Honda about this since January of '09. I still haven't gone away. Honda and Isuzu should offer each owner what the Kelley blue book value of the vehicle is, that is the right thing to do. Will they? Not unless we all continue to call and complaint and push this forward. We all are hoping for a class action law suit, but again, where do we begin and how do we get a lawyer? We are 144,000-188,000 strong, enough affected owners to warrant a class action law suit, and make ourselves heard... I have contacted a few lawyers in Louisville, no one wants to take on Honda America. WE NEED A LAWYER WITH A BACKBONE, who is willing to go to battle for us. We are the ones who stand to lose something. We have lost something, our vehicles, and our faith in Honda and Isuzu. We bought these vehicles in good faith, at a large price tag, and now they are worthless because Isuzu wasn't smart enough to chose a reliable supplier of frames.
    One more thing, the rear coils of our rusted out frame went through the frame into the body of the Passport, due to rust, of course. There is more danger here than just the trailing arms rusting off. Even if you have a vehicle that has a trailing arm that can be repaired, have the coil area checked too...
  • richard139richard139 Member Posts: 3
    can i get help my frame keeps breaking i keep weilding it iam on disabitly i love my redeo
    Have you filed with Isuzu? And have you received your letter in the mail concerning the recall?
    You need to file with Isuzu and NHTSA concerning your vehicle, and once you get your recall letter, take it to your local dealer who handles Isuzu's. Take your receipts for the welding, you probably will get reimbursed, good luck!
    edited January 2011
    Went out and brought a replacement vehicle this week. Now I don't just want book value, I want what the used vehicle cost me plus sales tax, registration and title! I also filed a complaint with the Attorney Generals office and on Wednesday received a letter that my complaint had been received and would be forwarded to the local office. Friday I received a call from my local office, was assigned a case number and asked to forwarded a copy of the recall and the name of the dealership who inspected and is doing the repair. Will see what happens. The more federal, state, and local agencies we get involved the more pressure will be put on Isuzu to get all of these unsafe vehicles of the road. Every time I see an Isuzu Rodeo on the road or in a parking lot I cringe, hoping the owners are taking the recall seriously! Hope to have some encouraging news next week!
    What state are you in because I have been trying to get a hold of Maine Attorney General and cant get them to talk to me. I was told by Micheal B
    at Isuzu in the ca office That he inspected my Rodeo by pictures set to him by the dealer and my isuzu could be fixed with the brackets and would be ok I told him to take his family on a test drive for a few months after it is fixed
    the whole frame is rotted out I had one auto body shop refuse to put it up on the lift.
    edited January 2011
    Ok so I call about my car this morning and was told that they sent an email to Isuzu consumer affairs to come look at how bad my car was rusted and that they never showed up. And he told me to call them and tell them that my car was taking up room on the lot and they needed to let me know what was going on.

So I call Isuzu consumer affairs and talk to a guy named Jim. I asked for his full name but he would only give me his first name. So I tell him what I was told about my vehicle and he asked me to stay on the line while he called the mechanic that has my car. After he comes back online he tell me that he told the mechanic to go back outside to see if the trailining arm on my car can be repaired. I told him the machanic already said it was rusted so bad he refused to fix it! So Jim proceeds to tell me that he chewed the machanic out for telling me this! Because the recall only covers the trailing arm not the frame! I said it can't be fixed! I've had 4 other mechanics look at it! Then Jim says to me you need to watch what you say because you would be suprised how many we have fixed and it worked out great! WTH??? He said let's give him a chance to look at it again first then we will go from there!Because the mechanic was confused about the recall! Ohhhh ok so this Jim yells at this mechanic for telling me the truth! And is making him go back outside to try and preform a miracle!

ok so I'm thinking they will fix it as it is, I will get it back and it will sit in my driveway for another year! Because I will fight them on this! I will not drive this death trap! Class action law suit coming! Stay tuned!
    American Isuzu Motors, Inc.
    Owner Relations Department
    13340 183rd Street
    Cerritos, CA 90702-6007
    Toll free: 1-800-255-6727
    Fax: 562-229-5455
    E-mail: info@isuzu.com
    Web site: www.isuzu.com

This is where I called and talked to Jim
  • jmcd2jmcd2 Member Posts: 4
    I have filed a new complaint on line with NHTSA and safercar.org regarding the fact that the frame is the issue and should be part of the recall. I was told by Jim at Isuzu that they just received the report for my vehicle and it has been sent up for review and I will be hearing from them soon. I had called them several times and they claimed they did not have any reports on my vehicle even though the dealership assured me that they emailed the reports some time ago. If the offer is not satisfactory I have found on the internet that I can file on line with the PA attorney general. Everyone needs to file complaints with NHTSA, their attorney general and safercar.org.
  • passaportoguypassaportoguy Member Posts: 2
    I will forward this thread to a lawyer I know that may take the case. My 2000 passport is waiting for rust repair parts at the dealer. it is considered a STAGE 4 in terms of rust severity. Does anyone know what STAGE 4 means? It will need to go to the body shop. They won't have parts til end of Feb. One thought I have today is if the car sits for two months in the cold without being driven the brakes will lock up and who should pay for those repairs? Here is a crazy thing, I took the car in around Dec. 22nd and they looked at and said the rust was minimal and all they needed to do was put some plastic plugs in place and spray some rust inhibitive. Then when the plugs came in I took it back and this time the car has lots of rust! and is STAGE 4!. Smells like a cover up or screw up is still going on. I want to see the work done to make sure the car is safe. I am a degreed mechanical engineer and can speak to structural concerns of a rusted frame.
    Theses are the Recalls Documents, straight from the NHTSA site. The link is listed below...

Search Results: Total items: 16
    Name Description Size (KB)
    RCONL-10V436-9090.pdf Owner Notification Letter(Part 577) - Honda's notice to owners of vehicle more that 10 years old 234
    RCMN-10V436-0099.pdf Isuzu - Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) 764
    RCRIT-10V436-0099.pdf Isuzu - Remedy Instructions and TSB 1426
    RCMN-10V436-1234.pdf Honda's Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) 16
    RCRIT-10V436-1234.pdf Honda's Remedy Instructions and TSB 2318
    RCONL-10V436-1234.pdf Honda's Owner Notification Letter(Part 577) 21
    RCONL-10V436-7789.pdf Owner Notification Letter(Part 577) 76
    RCRIT-10V436-0234.pdf Remedy Instructions and TSB 2343
    RCMN-10V436-3456.pdf Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) - Honda - October 26, 2010 28
    RCRIT-10V436-3495.pdf Remedy Instructions and TSB - Honda's pre-recall inspection 118
    RCORRD-10V436-8744.pdf Vin Range Vehicles 46
    RCDNN-10V436-2927.pdf Amended Defect Notice(Part 573) 44
    RCMN-10V436-2671.pdf Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) 233
    RCMN-10V436-4814.pdf Honda Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) 16
    RCAK-10V436-9651.pdf Recall Acknowledgement 31
    RCDNN-10V436-5281.pdf Defect Notice(Part 573) 379

These pdf files are very interesting, and do include photo repairs from stage 1 - stage 4, although of interest, the vehicles shown being repaired are no where near what our vehicles are as far as stages of rust.
    Click on the following link or copy and paste, and it will take you to the above pdf files, from NHTSA.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/documentList.do?docId=10V436&docType=RCL&fromP- ublic=true

So, copy and paste and read everything...M
    I also contacted a lawyer this morning. I'm waiting to hear back from them. I also added a link so they can see what a strong case we have here.
    I don't know about everyone else, but my truck is considered a stage 4 repair...and if they think that will work on these rotten frames they are sadly mistaken. If they are going through all the trouble of lifting the body and all of that why not just replace the entire frame....would that not be a better option and probably around the same cost??? I would accept a new frame.....in light of this nonsense repair. There is nothing for them to drill into or attach any bolt too...hell, they could simply push thier finger through the frame why bother drilling! lol
    Massachusetts. I was contacted by the local office on Friday, they requested a copy of the recall notice, who I had been dealing with at Isuzu and the dealership name and telephone number. It will be interesting to see what happens.
    Thanks for posting the link. Interesting reading. Will print those and
    forward them to the Mass Attorney Generals office, too.
    I think that is what is so infuriating, I loved that Rodeo. It was a work horse. Great in the snow and ice. Wonderful at the beach. I was not looking for a new vehicle and even though it had over 100,000 miles on it I had no plans of replacing it! Now I have a great looking vehicle with a frame that is self destructing!! Why would Isuzu even consider drilling and attaching anything to it? Isuzu has to realize the scope of the problem and the potential for deadly accidents, especially when a gas tank is one bump from falling onto the highway. Time to "cowboy up" Isuzu and take responsibility for installing substandard frames on your Rodeo's :mad:
  • drt7drt7 Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if you are aware of the Isuzu recall. It covers your year. You should have received a recall letter. In all likelihood you will get the response I got from "customer service" in CA. Basically we will fix the rear where it separated from the body but nothing else so to hell with you idf you die because we knowingly sent you out on the highway with a rusted out frame front to back nd we know it. To bad for you is the attitude. They refused to give me any one or phone number to call in Isuzu organization as I have been told I'm no safer after the fix than before. It is a death trap eitherway. I graged my isuzu 12 years I have owbned it. It could easily be mistaken for brand new from the outside but with <61K miles the frame which should last 20+ years to say the least is fully rotted. I am expected to scrap my vehicle or risk my life. I also am hoping a hungry class action lawyer will step in and take this case because a large number of people are getting screwed and will support the case with solid documentation.
  • jsabojsabo Member Posts: 2
    Ok! Here comes my story.
    Took 1999 Rodeo LS to Peters of Nashua. It is a "Stage 4". I knew it. I've done work on a frame of the car over the past 2 years. My 1966 Mustang frame, that I've restored 7 years ago, looked 1000 times better!!!!!
    Frame is decomposing!!!! You cannot weld to rust - simple as that.
    I don't think that we are going to get much out of Isuzu unless somebody will get killed in their truck, God forbid.
    If nothing else, I feel obligated to get Isuzu out of the US completely. If all of us join our efforts in putting Isuzu out of business that would be satisfactory to me.
  • richard139richard139 Member Posts: 3
    if you find out if it dose cover the whole frame can you please let me no my redeo s runs real good just my frame my email is fordford_f150@yahoo.com
  • 95rodeorot95rodeorot Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 with the same issue's i
  • 95rodeorot95rodeorot Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 rodeo with 117K miles got it 2yrs ago and thought I got a good deal still do seeing I got it for 1400 I frist sew the rot fixing my right side rear tire so I looked around the back end was bad but with a car this old and living in NYC (are steets suck thanks mayor mike) I thought it was just my car over the past 3 months my back bamper has fallen off and now I keep feeling my back end shift to the right. I found this forum looking to see if my engine woulf fit a 02 rodeo that I found (but haven't bought) on CL with a blown engine glad I found it I think I'll just look for something else as for my rodeo you all have show me that it is unsafe to drive and I thank you isuzu really needs to put a recall on this model :lemon:
  • jault1jault1 Member Posts: 1
    I too filed a second claim for frame rust. We need to all go back to the beginning and file a new complaint with https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ pointing out the frame rust and not the suspension link and how the recall is not fixing the problem in many cases.
  • noodles2noodles2 Member Posts: 3
    Mine has been verbally verified as a category 5. As my rodeo is in impound, gas tank off, awaiting the junk yard due to the one foot hole inside the frame i am told that isuzu will contact me in a week or so after their final investigation. Until then what am i supposed to do? No rental cars are given, no compensation in sight... Last i knew I took car of my car and it was taken by them... They are not held responsible for me keeping my job? I understand the recall, but toyota (Tacoma) and ford (minivans) were recalled as well, and during the waiting period they provided rentals. Isuzu is exempt from this? This is where we need the class action suit...
  • jsabojsabo Member Posts: 2
    Stage 4 rusted frame. Isuzu got pictures from the Isuzu Certified Service Center more than a week ago but they didn't get back to me with "results of their review". They don't even give you a time frame. Looks like they don't know what to do and they are giving everybody the same crap: "We have so many "HAPPY" customers, you just the "ONLY ONE" that is unhappy. Does that sound familiar?
    So, how many NOT SO HAPPY people are out there?
    I am one.
  • bbrown55bbrown55 Member Posts: 16
    It is all a joke. I was on the phone with them yesterday - on hold 1.5 hours...after 1 hour earlier in the day - for a fax they lost - x 3! We had our car fixed two years ago when they told me I was the only one with a rust issue and our car was 6 months out of frame warranty...just a joke - on me! We are trying to get our money back and they are jerking us around - been back to dealership twice...I won't tell you what they said about Isuzu...none of it is good - the repair job - recall fix is a joke.
  • noodles2noodles2 Member Posts: 3
    I was able to contact a higher authority in the Isuzu USA corp. He had absolutley NO more info than the customer support managers that say they are processing our claims yet have no other answers. I called them out, told them our shared opinion that they had no idea what to do about the category 4 and 5 recalls, and asked again about rental compensation... That is not going to happen unless a third party mandates it. The gentleman at corporate told me the dealership had no right to retain my vehicle. Liability isn't an issue with these people? I'm glad the dealership kept it, the frame was totally rotten!
  • passaportoguypassaportoguy Member Posts: 2
    Honda here in northeast Ohio is paying for a rental for 6-8 weeks the repairs on my stage 4 rust will take. Let Isuzu know that.
  • rustpilerustpile Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    I just received the most insulting offer of $1538.00 for my one owner well kept always maintained 2001 Rodeo(133,000m). This has me furious that Izuzu would not offer me the PRE-recall market value of my vehicle. They want you to believe that the value of your vehicle is only worth the frame channel they hoped to repair it with, now they want to recoup the cost of that channel by offerring you just $1500. In truth they get the cost of their repair bracket back and you get NOTHING! I have filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (www.ftc.gov), and I hope everyone else does too. It's not our fault these Izuzu Rodeos have a structure issue on otherwise perfectly good vehicles and WE should not have to accept the unsatisfactory buyout Izuzu has offerred. FTC Complaints file NOW! Thank you in advance of whats right.
    Well I spoke to Jim at Isuzu today and after the 4th time faxing it he received my fax of my bill of sale. The paper I faxed him was my original bill of sale from the used car dealer I purchased it from on 2/24/2010 at a price of 4895.00. My rodeo looked fine underneath until they tried to attach something to the frame the only thing holding it together was paint. I had already received the 1500.00 offer and told them to go get stuffed. I hope this works out good some how. :lemon: