Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 335i xDrive

plinaplina Member Posts: 61
I have been thinking of getting a 335i Xdrive coupe. when you get the sports package you lose the all season tires for performance tires.
To me it doesn't make sense you get all wheel drive because of bad weather. I know that you can get 18" performance all season run flat tires, why doesn't BMW offer these type of tires?
To me it makes all the sense in the world instead of buying winter tires, and changing them every winter.

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    Are you sure that you lose the all-seasons?

Not that familiar with the current model, but in the past, the sport package on the RWD cars got summer tires, but AWD models still had all-seasons, even with the sport package..

I'd check with a dealer, and not depend on the package description on the website.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• plinaplina Member Posts: 61
    Please let me know what they say, but I was told that you get performance tires.
    It looks like I didn't explain myself correctly. If you buy the regular sport package you keep the 17" all season tires but if you want 18" tires you only get performance tires.
    I want the M sport package and it comes with the 18" performance tires, you can't get 18" all season tires.
    That is what had me all confused.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    Ah.. that makes more sense..

Don't know what to tell you.. The 18" wheels look great, but tire replacement costs are a lot higher.. If you don't want to swap out each winter (and most AWD buyers, don't), then be prepared to buy a set of tires when fall gets here... If you get all-seasons, you'll only have to do it one time.

Good luck!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Looks like I'm going to do that, because I like want that M sport package. Hopefully I might be able to make a deal with the dealer to swap tires.
    Do you have any recomendations? Also what do you think of the logic 7 system? Is it worth it?
  • jwlevjwlev Member Posts: 2
    Hi group. I just bought a 2010 335i xdrive with cold weather pack. Love the car but dissapointed no dimmer/compass mirror. Also I assume that although buttons are there for blue tooth it did not come with this car. My questions are: 1 is the car wired for the mirror, 2 am i correct that the bluetooth did not come with it and can I get that also. Jeff
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Those two options are included in the Premium package.
  • jwlevjwlev Member Posts: 2
  • fixit12fixit12 Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2010
    In Canada, the bluetooth and auto dimming mirror are standard features with the 335i xdrive,
  • yelnats19yelnats19 Member Posts: 2
    I wonder the xdrive makes the car slower in general
  • steveaccordsteveaccord Member Posts: 108
    There is no penalty in top speed since that is defined by the electronic governor/limiter (hence only factor such as sport package etc would trigger differences). Purists will contend that the sacrificing of the RWD will subdue the 'spirited drive' ability of an xDrive model compared to the regular ones. Personally I am very happy of my xDrive vehicle and would not consider the feature a penalty at all.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    it just "pushes" more in hard cornering and is a bit heavier..for the average driver, hardly noticeable.
    I still wonder if per se AWD is an absolute second in terms of sport driving characteristics. The RWD iconic dominance we should remember is also due to the fact that in professional racing AWD was banned in major circuits (indy and formula-1 car racing) back in the late '60s or early '70. True, AWD back then mostly was part of a very exotic combination mating gas-turbine engines (yep .... same as an in aircraft) with a transmission able to couple all the extra juices to effective traction. Just a thought anyway.
    :)
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Isn't the reason they did was to try and keep speeds down (all relative, I guess)? The same reason they restricted the size and height of wings, and prohibited cars with active fans that tried to suck the car to the ground (the CanAm's Chaparral being one of the first)?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Ah yes the Lotus 56!

I think it's difficult to compare race cars and street cars except in the category of weight, where the extra lbs penalized the AWD cars eventually---but some of them were very successful (Nissan Skyline GT-R, etc).

Also in racing you can get downforce through aerodynamics rather than 4 stickies on the track.

I drove my friends 328ix quite a bit and I thought it felt heavier and didn't turn in as well.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    edited February 2012
    You don't choose a RWD street car because it has any performance advantge over AWD. You choose it because it's more fun to drive.

You can never have "too much traction" when you're racing, but you can on a street car.

Several years ago I had some issues with my street tires so I drove my M on the street with my track wheels (with Toyo RA-1's) for a few weeks. The grip was phenomenal compared to my street tires but I couldn't "play" with the car at street speeds. Couldn't kick the tail out, drift, etc.

Once I got street tires back on (ultra high performance all-seasons), the fun was back. Yeah, cornering speeds were lower, but now I could "play" with the car and dance around the limits. It requires more skill and finesse and is a lot more fun.

Still, I really do want to own an AWD car...for my wife.
    hehe, a good punch line....and admittedly the 335xi has been mostly my wife car since for a few years I have mostly used air transportation rather than ground vehicles for my work commute/travels. It is solidly back in my control after restoring the status of a 2 car vehicles household (she wanted an SUV all along anyway and is not complaining about her new Volvo XC 60, but really learned to appreciate the ride qualities of the BMW). That said I may be very well be interested in another xDrive model, the i8 coupe that should arrive to market in the fall of 2014. As a matter of fact I should perhaps initiate an new thread on the topic of that future model.
    :)