Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Remote Key Problems

mkunzemkunze Member Posts: 29
edited April 2014 in Chrysler
My newer 2008 T&C has the fat key with the remote start, door opener, hatch opener etc. The dog chewed the key and it worked for a while but stopped working today. The ignition says "Damaged Key" and won't start.

Last time I checked with Chrysler they told me a new key was $260.00. I asked if I could get one that just started the car and didn't have all the features - to use as a backup but the salesmen never seem to know anythign about this and never get back to me. Do I have any options other than shelling out $260.00 for a stupid key?

Comments

• srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Can't you get a valet key for it?
  • mkunzemkunze Member Posts: 29
    The valet key won't start the ignition.
    Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a valet key? I mean, if it can't work the ignition, what good is it to the guy parking your van?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,761
    It's a anti-valet key: Doesn't work in the ignition, but it will open your trunk and glove box. :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    The vehicle should have been delivered with two keys. Why not just use the spare? I know you wouldn't have a backup but I never have used mine in 2 years. It just sits, hidden away in the secret compartment somewhere in my house.
    Now why didn't I think of that!!! :sick:
This discussion has been closed.