Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    There have been some discussions recently about the V6 version of the 4Runner getting a very poor ranking on reliability, in direct contrast to the V8. The most recent magazine issue is the "annual auto issue" and it explains (if you can call it an explanation) a little.

They actually have a paragraph at the beginning of the reliability ratings explaining why a model might look reliable and still get the dreaded black x. It's because at least some of the trouble spot ratings are below what's normal for the average car for that model year. It's apparently a particular problem with the most recent model year.

The 4Runner V6 gets Toyota's only black x, while the V8 model is recommended. The potential trouble areas are rated the same, except for fuel (presumably that pulsation damper problem and recall they had a year ago) and paint/trim/rust. I can understand some trim grief because of the problems with the rain gutter trim, but that was an equal issue with the V8. This doesn't compute very well, but I can't make any more sense of the issue.

Conclusions: Put your thinking cap on and use it to warp your brain into *their* shape before you make use of these ratings. The reliability verdict is mostly an initial quality rating, with rather a hair trigger.

One thing they apparently don't do is to integrate reliability experience over several years, and give a heavy weight to history, as most of us seem to do. For example, they're still recommending the VW Passat as their top family sedan pick, though their own survey data indicates that the Passat models don't age very well. The Accord gets a prominent mention as second, and the Camry is 3rd if it's mentioned at all.
    Well, it's better than having no data!
  • sivisivi Member Posts: 20
    consumer reports just recommed v6 as unrelibable.any commentes would be recommend.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    They got it backwards. Consumer Reports is unreliable; the V6 is fine.
  • baki44baki44 Member Posts: 24
    I have both magazines and I trust Money magazine more than Consumer Report...I invest with their advice and so far I don't have any lost...Money magazine March-04 issue Toyota 4Runner is best mid-size SUV...years ago I believed Consumer Report and bought Toshiba TV and that was the worst TV I ever had...so if you want to feel better read the Money magazine...
  • terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    The reason the V6 got a low score from consumer reports is because of a early recall in 2003 that doesn't affect any 4Runner after March 2003 but that is when consumer reports took it's data so it is kind of a false report.
  • hostwanabeehostwanabee Member Posts: 8
    The recall is related to an assembly error, as you know being a EE, that's an easy fix. If you look at the engine reliability ratings on the V6 for 1996, it was average. They had problems with Head Gaskets back then, when they fixed the problem check out the ratings for the following years.....way above average! As usual, the sky is falling with CR.

FROM NHTSA:
    Make: TOYOTA
    Model: 4 RUNNER
    Year: 2003
    Recall Number: 03V146000
    Summary:
    ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH V6 ENGINES, THE FUEL PULSATION DAMPER, LOCATED ON THE FUEL RAIL, MAY HAVE BEEN IMPROPERLY ASSEMBLED, CAUSING A DIAPHRAGM IN THE PULSATION DAMPER TO BE DAMAGED. IF THE DIAPHRAGM FAILS, FUEL MAY LEAK.
  • feralferal Member Posts: 23
    I am VERY close to getting a 2004 but am debating between the base model or the sport model.

I plan on getting a motorcycle carrier that hooks into the trailer hitch, its not a trailer, it just hangs off the trailer hitch. My motocross is around 250 lbs and the carrier itself is about 50. Since this weight would lower the rear end, would the XReas system be constantly trying to balance the 2 rear corners?

The other reason i am debating between the sport and the base is that i am taller then average ( 6'4" ) and just cant fit into the darn vehicle with a moonroof. The salesman found a shop in town that specializes in modding vehicles and they can lower the seat for me but am hesitent about it.

Unlike Toyota USA, Toyota Canada will NOT custom order a 4Runner. :(

Thanks for you help.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I have an 03 Sport with X-reas. I've carried much more weight in the rear cargo area than your motorcycle and trailer. I doubt that it would lower the rear end or provide a problem with Xreas.
     As far as your height , I suggest a test drive to make sure that you are comfortable in what ever model you are lookin at.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Get the base model. You won't be taking any chances that way....and Toyota, if you are listening make the sunroof optional. I also would have purchased a Sport model (i.e. more $$), but my head rested on the sunroof, so I got the base model instead. Just 4 laffs, I saw this bumper sticker on a JEEP> Just Empty Every Pocket!!!
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    I too have hauled more weight in the back of my 03 v8 sport with XREAS. I have put 1 ton of wood pellets in the rear, and the vehicle does not sag in the back as my previous 4runner models have(91,94,01). 300 lbs will not kill your vehicle or adjust the height of the rear.
  • toyboxxtoyboxx Member Posts: 150
    You put 2000 lbs. in the back of your 4Runner! Wow! I think you exceeded the GVWR by a 1/2 ton. That has to affect safe handling.
  • cpm496cpm496 Member Posts: 7
    Canddmeyer - The sunroof is not standard on the Sport Edition; it is an option. Yes, the Sport is more $, under 1k, but for it you get not only the XREAS, but different exterior painted effects, an upgraded [darker] interior, 17" wheels & tires unique to the Sport, leather wheel w/ audio controls, telescopic wheel, 8 way drivers seat, and, of course, the hood scoop. After financially disecting both [SR5 & SE], there is no comparison: it's the best grand you can spend.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Like others, I've carried way more than 250 lbs in the back of my 4Runner. I've got XREAS. That kind of weight is not a problem.
    Thank you all for the feedback!

I went for 2 test drives today. The first to a shop that can lower the seat by 1", then later for an extended drive in the V8 Sport.

I just dont fit into the darn thing with the moonroof and i dont think the lowering of the seat by 1" will do it considering the specs say that the moonroof takes away 1.7".

That really sucks cause there are MANY things in the sport package that i really would like, X-REAS topping that list.

DOH! I guess i have some thinking to do.

Thanks again for all your help!

If any of you reading this are from Toyota, PLEASE BARE IN MIND that Americans ( and Canadians like me ) are TALL and seem to be getting TALLER!!!

Sorry, had to vent. :)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    PLEASE BARE IN MIND

We frown on intellectual nudity in the Town Hall! ;-)

Seriously, did you try tilting the seat a little further back? You can shave off a couple of inches when you do that but comfort and safety come first.

tidester, host
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Toyota would offer more stuff on SR5 (at least as an option) with each consecutive year. Especially with Pathfinder being all-new in 2005, Hummer H3 coming out, etc. So, wait a bit, maybe 2005 would give you something to cheer about
  • cpm496cpm496 Member Posts: 7
    Tall & still getting taller? Either you're still young & growing or it's all that exercise you're getting motocrossing! You must race a KTM! Seriously, my experience with putting different seats in different cars is that there really is quite a bid of leeway - you just have to find the right guy to do it well for you. Have you actually test driven a 4Rnr w/o the sunroof?
    Americans are getting wider not taller. :)
    cpm496, sorry for the confusion, I just meant in general, Americans ( and Canadians ) seem to be getter taller with each new 'generation'. As for me, i have hit my peak ( 6'4" ) and am patiently waiting for gravity to take hold to start shrinking me back down to a decent height. J

I haven’t yet test driven a 4runner without a moonroof, but last year I sat in an 03 base w/o moonroof and had sufficient headroom. Most dealers in the area don’t carry models without the moonroof so I have to do a little hunting to try one without.

tidester HOST, I played with the seat for about 10 minutes to get into the most comfortable position possible, but to have my head not hit the moonroof, well, lets just say I would be looking out the REAR window, not the FRONT window. L

kinda sucks, I have wanted a 4runner since I was in high school, at the time I COULD fit into them, but couldn’t afford them, now that I have a higher enough paying job to afford one, I cant fit into it! Figures!
  • stove1stove1 Member Posts: 53
    just recline the seatback ,its quite comfortable that way.
  • ukblokeukbloke Member Posts: 7
    I'm also 6'4" and there is no way that I could fit comfortably in a new 4Runner with sunroof. It is really surprising as to how short the body of the car is --- much less room than my wife's CRV for example. In the end I bought an SR5 with no sunroof and the extra 1.7" of height makes all the difference. I actually managed to find a V8 with the most bizarre set of options that works well for me. Note that I like to sit tall in my cars, and generally have the seat in the most vertical position. Some other tricks are to rotate the rear view mirror 180 degrees and to remove the extra-thick visor to reveal an extra inch or so of windshield!

The other concern for us tall folk is with the seat height and finding a way to get enough cushioning under the legs. For long journeys (eg. 8 hours +) I found a wedge shaped cushion works wonders. Others suggested an upholsterer to put extra padding into the seat.

Hope this helps,

Mark.
  • clseibclseib Member Posts: 8
    I'm planning to purchase a 2001 SR5 that I hope to drive for a long time, maybe 10-15 yrs. I'm wondering if leather or cloth seats will hold up better over time. I've seen some older vehicles with leather seats that now look like crap. Does anyone have any insight on the durability of leather vs. cloth seats in 4runners? Thanks!
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    I've had both leather and cloth seats in vehciles and I usually keep my vehciles for 5-8 years. I prefer cloth. I keep my interior very clean and am pretty easy on them (no kids/dogs, etc.)

Cloth Advantages
    -Cost less.
    -Leather requires more cleaning and conditioning.
    -New cloth seats are very tough compared to the cloth of years ago.
    -More comfortable in hot/cold weather.
    -Leather starts to show 'wear' sooner. Some people prefer the look of worn leather - I don't, I think it makes the interior look old.

10-15 years is a long time considering most people use there vehicles every day. But I'd still buy cloth.
  • ladyofluxuryladyofluxury Member Posts: 93
    My personal preference is leather. My current car is now ten years old and I've had it since it was brand new, the leather has some cracking on it but it's definitely better than most I've seen. Personally, I lived in Florida and now currently in Virginia, I have never had a problem with my interior being too hot or cold b/c in the summer I always keep a sunshade on my windshied at work, it's garaged when I'm at home and my windows are tinted. In the winter I'm wearing pants anyway so I can't feel the "coldness". However, cloth has it's advantages in that it's cheaper and requires less maintenance. That however of course depends on your use. Most of my friends with children prefer leather because it does not stain like cloth and I have two dogs and I prefer leather because I find it doesn't hold scents as much as cloth. But you do have to condition your leather to keep it clean, although I don't really find it to be troublesome, just a part of the maintenance. Lastly I would say the wearing of leather over time depends alot on the manufacturer as well. I know a couple of Pilot owners complaning that their leather seats are already sagging in less than a year. My husband has a lexus now 7 years old with black leather and it looks brand spanking new and he hardly ever conditions his. Personally, I found the cloth seats on the 4Runner/Highlander to be very hard and not comfortable. But that again is opinion. You seem to keep your cars as long as I do so I say get whatever you could be satisfied with 5,6,7, 8 years from now. Goodluck!
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    I have a 2000 LTD with tan leather. I've never cleaned or conditioned my leather. I'm sure it could use it but I just have never done it. That said, I can also say that my leather looks almost in mint condition. My truck is garaged at home but at work in DC, I park in a huge, treeless lot for 9 hours a day. On some summer days the internal car temp reaches 100+. Not often but it does happen. Just be prepared if you have to park outside for a long time.

Also just and interesting side note. Once last summer, a service person at my local Toyota dealer left three long blue ink marks on my front passenger seat. I cleaned one my self with dawn dish washing liquid. That stuff can clean just about anything. It took some scrubbing and didn't completely remove the mark. I left it alone after that and was going to search for a leather cleaner and ink remover. When I check the mark after a few days, it was completely gone with the two remaining marks almost totally faded away. I believe the sun faded the ink away. I'm not sure what that says for the quality of the leather, but where the marks were looks just like the rest of the seat.
  • mgabel2mgabel2 Member Posts: 37
    In my son's 2003 SR5, with the head lights off, the cluster lights are off. With my 2004 Sport, the cluster lights are always on. What this does is that I think my headlights are on when they are not. A number of times I've left a lighted area at night without my headlights on, for I'm used to connecting lit cluter lights with on headlights. The always-on cluster lights make sense with the Limited's AutoOnHeadlights, but my Sport does not have that. I'd love to have those cluster lights go on only when my headlights are on. What is with other 2004's? Was my programmed wrong? [It was a special build.]
    This was added in 2004 probably because of complaints that the gauges were hard to see. You will also notice that you have a green light that comes on in you cluster gauges when the low beams are turned on which the 2003's did not have. Both have the blue light for high beams but only the 2004's have the green light.
  • mgabel2mgabel2 Member Posts: 37
    Toyboxx, thanks for the info. I guess I need to train myself to look for that green light. Or just remember to turn the lights on when it's dark!!
    I have a 2003 SR5 and was one that complained that the gauge lights were hard to see in daylight - especially with sunglasses on. I've tried turing on the parking lights (headlights) to see if that made the guages easier to see and it really had little impact. On the 2004's are the gauge lights easier to see in daylight when they are back lit? I wonder if they changed the actual gauges any?
  • md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    I just got a 2004 Limited V8. What I have noticed is that the cluster guage lights are lit extra bright when the headlights are off. I mean they are brighter than when you turn on the headlights. I guess this was done to improve visibility of the guages during the daylight. At night you don't really need them backlit as bright so the light dims as soon as you turn on the headlights. Overall, I am very pleased with the lighting and the visibility of my guages. I have had no problems seeing them in the daytime or nightime.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    My '03 4Runner Limited is the second SUV I've owned with leather seats, and although I'll spare you the details, I most definitely prefer leather rather than cloth. That said, it is my opinion that Zaino offers the absolute FINEST leather care and cleaning products. For example, Zaino's Z-9 "Leather Soft Spray Cleaner" will amaze you with how quickly, thoroughly, and gently it will remove most any stain from automotive leather. In addition, Zaino's
    Z-10 "Leather In A Bottle" is an "aromatic" leather conditioner that not only conditions and gently softens automotive leather, but also restores a "new car" leather aroma to leather interiors, and this aroma must be experienced to be believed. In addition, Z-10 is highly effective on interior VINYL, and is vastly better than Armor-All, etc. in this regard. Simply put, if you have a leather interior, get thee some Zaino Z-9 and Z-10, and you'll be amazed. You'll also love the aroma!
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    I like leather. Sounds silly, but consider a driver's seat cover, if you don't have the side air bags built into the seat. Estimating 90% of your wear is to that seat. Duh...to me.

The 2003 and up seems like it has true leather, not PVC coated like previous 4Runners which could stand up to a beating. Never get this new stuff wet. It will ruin it. Kheinz, you seem reasonable. You give Zaino some validation to what I though was a multi-level marketing product. I am looking for a one application wax for the 4Runner. Not any show wax, just something that lasts...any suggestions? Previous long time Raindance user. Can't find it any more.
  • glenski01glenski01 Member Posts: 44
    Have only had my 04 Sport edition a few days, vehicle is sound and great, power is smooth, build quality appears great. Some minor complaints, features that do not cost much, and were on my 01 Pathfinder SE: 4 Runnner is easy to leave lights on, gage lights on all the time so hard to tell if lights are on/off, No lights on buzzer, no automatic lights (except on Limited models), driver's side only has one touch electric window control (pass side should too), all window & lock controls should light up at night, just minor, but irritating features I find hard to believe missing in a $35K vehicle.
  • alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    I agree that there are a bunch of little extras that should be included on the 4Runner (at least on the limited models), but I guess this is Toyota's way of saying "if you want it, buy the Lexus GX470." Overtime, they will probably add features that are lacking now.
    If you were to accidentally leave your lights on they will go off automatically after 30 seconds. That is on all models. Try it. Auto on/off on the limiteds works on light conditions but all models will shut off 30 seconds after you leave the truck.
  • glb5glb5 Member Posts: 39
    You are absolutely right Toyboxx, I have an 04 SR5 and it will turn the lights off automatically. When all else fails READ THE MANUEL.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I read it in the owners manual and tried it once. It does work .I still turn them off manually. Personally, I don't mind the one touch down button, but it is very difficult to adjust the driver's window to only open slightly with a one touch close button.
    Who's this Manuel guy? I read it in my manual. :-) j/k
  • alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    Manuel is a nice guy....leave him alone :P
    Regarding Zaino products, I would urge you to review their web site http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc in order to gain a brief overview of their products before you decide whether or not to try any of them. At first glance, Zaino's wide array of products may initially seem a bit intimidating and confusing, but don't mislead yourself into thinking you must buy nearly every product they make in order to give your new 4Runner a highly protective and gorgeous "Zaino" finish that will have you gushing once you see the results first-hand. Also, don't be mislead by the term "show car" finish, since these products are probably used on far more "everyday" vehicles than on just "show" vehicles. These products were initially conceived to meet the demands of show cars, but they've gone on to become the automotive finish products of first choice among a wide array of vehicle enthusiasts. In short, there's no better system than Zaino's, and while they require a bit of extra work and time, the end results are well worth it. If you love your new 4Runner and want it to look its best for years to come, I urge you to take a closer look at Zaino.

While the Zaino system is not a "one step" process, in my opinion you can still apply Zaino to your vehicle in a MINIMAL number of steps that won't be much more work than a one step process. To illustrate this point, I would suggest the following "minimalist" Zaino strategy. (Refer to Zaino's web site and their FAQ and "tips" for more information. It is highly recommended that you use clean, white, 100% cotton, made in the USA, Fieldcrest or Cannon towels, as described at Zaino's web site. Buy plenty of these towels, and use them only for your vehicle. do not use any type of fabric softener or dryer sheets when cleaning them.)

1) Place your vehicle in a clean and well-lit garage for the entire "minimalist" project, which should take only 2-3 hours;

2) In order to remove all previous waxes, polishes, surface contaminants, etc., wash the vehicle thoroughly using Dawn (Blue) dishwashing detergent. Rinse thoroughly (but don't dry), and then immediately wash the vehicle again, this time using Z-7 Car Wash. Now thoroughly towel dry the vehicle;

3) Optional but recommended: As you begin to apply the Zaino polish as described below, regularly spritz some Z-6 Gloss Enhancer Spray onto the polish applicator pad, and keep this pad moistened with Z-6 throughout the application of the polishes;

4) If your clearcoat has obvious swirl marks or fine scratches that you would like to remove or lessen, GENTLY apply (don't rub!) Z-5 admixed with ZFX, according to the label instructions. When dry, gently buff-off using clean towels. (If you don't have swirl marks or fine scratches, you can simply apply and remove Z-2 admixed with ZFX, according to the label instructions.) NOTE: The most common error made by those who are new to Zaino's polish system is applying an excessive amount of polish! Read the instructions carefully, and trust that only a thin and often nearly invisible film of polish/ZFX is required to do the job right! When you wipe-off the polish after a proper amount of drying time, a sure sign that you've applied just enough polish is how EFFORTLESSLY it will hand-buff off the vehicle's finish, leaving a deeply lusterous and smooth finish to the eyes and to the touch. If you decide that you want MORE of these products on your vehicle's finish, you should apply and wipe-off ADDITIONAL thin coats, rather than applying a heavy coat at any one application!

5) Assuming you've correctly applied and wiped-off the 1st coat of either Z-5/ZFX or Z-2/ZFX, you should be stunned and amazed by the results. At this point, if you don't wish to proceed with any additional coats of Zaino polish, then relax--you are done! On the other hand, if you've correctly applied and buffed off the polish as described above, you may become intoxicated with your initial results, and you may then become much more enthusiastic about applying additional thin coats of Zaino polish. And indeed, while a single coat of Zaino polish is far better than none, the results you'll see from additional coats will simply knock your socks off. I happen to prefer a first coat of Z-5, followed by 2 or 3 coats of
    Z-2, but your tastes may vary. That said, I'll say again that a single coat of Zaino polish is better than none!

6) Whenever you wash your vehicle, use Z-16 Tire Gloss on your tires, exterior vinyl, etc. This product is superior to silicone based products, and it holds its shine well.

7) While the finish of a properly "Zaino'd" finish is amazingly protective and lusterous, there are a few requirements to keep your vehicle's finish looking this good. First, during the warmer months of the year, periodically hand-wash the vehicle using Z-7 car wash soap. Secondly, re-apply the Zaino polish(es) about every six months-- I prefer to do this every spring and fall. Thirdly, try to promptly remove any bird poop or tree sap that you might see on the finish, and try to park in areas where this stuff is less likely to fall on the vehicle.

While the above steps may initially seem like too much work, consider that you're already washing and polishing your vehicle every now and then, and you're probably also applying tire dressing every so often. Therefore, it shouldn't seem to be much more of a stretch to begin using Zaino products in place of the products you're currently using, and once you catch the Zaino bug, you might want to explore their other products, such as their leather cleaning and conditioning products.
    While I don't use all of the Zaino products, I have used the Z1 and Z2 Polish Lock and Wax. I use them on my Jet Black BMW and the shine is incredible. My 4Runner is silver metallic and you can't get the same type of shine, but it still does a great job. Zaino also outlasts any other waxes that I have used (and I've used dozens). I always wash my vehicles by hand with gentle car wash soap so I don't strip the wax off when washing. Zaino is a bit expensive and can only be bought by mail order (as far as I know). Another good option that can be purchased in some automotive shops are the Mother's products. I've only used the wax, but it did leave a nice shine and lasted a long time.
  • 714cut714cut Member Posts: 355
    One step not mentioned so far is the Zaino clay bar. I had never used one before but they work incredibly well and make a huge difference. They are quite easy to use as well.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I have a clay bar (Mother's brand iirc - ~$10). They take off surface impurities and leave the paint amazingly smooth. Highly recommended and I only wash my cars every 3 months or so :-)

Steve, Host
  • mdpdretiredmdpdretired Member Posts: 5
    I am adding a Sirius satellite radio to my 04 4Runner with factory Nav system.
    The fm modulator provides ok sound but not digital quality. Does anyone know if there are aux inputs in the Head Unit for a CD changer? If so, my JVC Sirius unit will allow the satellite signal to be input there.
    If there are aux/changer inputs, how would I get behind the head unit to hook it up?
  • iontrapiontrap Member Posts: 139
    This evening my wife and I drove away in our new Dorado Gold SR5 2wd. This truck is awesome! Since Friday I've driven a Pilot, Pathfinder, Trailblazer and Envoy. The 4Runner was definitely the best overall.
    Iontrap: Congratulations on your new 4Runner! Enjoy!
  • hlronhlron Member Posts: 113
    Iontrap: I second khenitz1 on the congratulations! I also have a Dorado Gold SR5 2wd, which I purchased on January 31. It has been great (2,400 miles so far), and I like it more and more as time goes by. I hope you have fun with yours! Ron
  • carguy46carguy46 Member Posts: 13
    Alrighty, I'm pretty sure I've asked this before, but I'm looking for a more detailed response. Yesterday I purchased an Escort Passport 7500s for my '96 4Runner SR5. I am not very good when it comes to electric wiring and all, however, I want to hardwire the detector to my car. If anyone knows how to do the job, I'd really appreciate detailed instructions on how to do so. Thanks in advance.
  • clseibclseib Member Posts: 8
    I'm debating purchase of '02 4wd SR5 or '02 4wd SR5 Sport Ed. What differences in performance will I notice between '02 sport and SR5? I hear the sport has a different rear diff. than non-sport and also larger brakes. Are there any other performance related features only on the Sport or are the other differences all cosmetic? Thanks in advance.