Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Sienna

tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
edited December 2013 in Toyota
It struck me odd that the 2010 Sienna is already arriving in dealer lots, and has been since the middle of May, 2009. Now I'm reading that the 2011 model will be built on the same platform as the Camry and others, and will start shipping from Princeton, Indiana in January of 2010.

Any able to validate or elaborate? Thanx. -Ken

Comments

• tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    Ok, after bouncing around on the Internet, I now have a theory on what's going on (and a dealer friend of mine can't say officially that I'm right, but he wouldn't dispute it either).

The new redesigned '11 Sienna will be based on the MC platform that is also used for Camry, Highlander and others, and will go into production this coming January. It appears the 2010 Honda Odyssey will also be revamped, and it will be available this coming September.

I've always admired Toyota for their marketing prowess, so my guess is they plan to trump the redesigned 2010 Odyssey with their also redesigned Sienna by bringing out a 2011 model only four months after Honda debuts their 2010.

This may explain why the '09 and '10 model years are so short. I'm thinking they did it this way because two short years are better than a very long 2009 run with a 2010 model coming four months after Honda's 2010. And who could resist buying a 2011 model in the winter of 2010 knowing that it will be good for perhaps 19 months?

My speculation, then, is that the redesigned 2011 Sienna was originally designed to be a 2010, but someone determined they couldn't pull it off in time, so they decided to change the '09 and '10 production schedules the way they did so Honda wouldn't get a whole year's advantage on their redesigned Odyssey.

Comments?
  • bmwk75sbmwk75s Member Posts: 21
    If we're going to see the new Sienna based on the MC Platform, then we can expect a hybrid sometime after the release. That would certainly fit with the announcement from Masatami Takimoto, Toyota's VP in charge of powertrain development that by 2020, hybrids will be the standard drivetrain and account for "100 percent" of Toyota's cars as they would be no more expensive to produce than a conventional vehicle.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Perhaps the delay was even intentional.

I remember reading that they delayed the Corolla when they saw the latest Civic.
    Maybe - the minivan segment keeps shrinking, so you wonder if Toyota will invest in a segment when diminishing returns are virtually guaranteed.
  • hause7hause7 Member Posts: 153
    Actually I just read that Toyota will be boosting production of the Sienna along with the Camry, Corolla, Rav4, Tacoma, and Tundra I think. The Sienna was one of the top selling models for them this past selling period I guess. here's a link. http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2009/06/04/464447.html

I am sure they will invest in the Sienna to keep it competitive.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    By 2011 I would expect to see the new Venza I4(***) and the Venza F/awd system adopted by the Sienna, maybe even with a CVT.

*** Upgraded to DFI..??
    Sounds pretty optimistic to me. It's good for buyers though, because if they ramp up production and demand doesn't follow, we see incentives and good prices.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Redesign for Odyssey should be for MY 2011 (Calendar year 2010). Sienna will probably beat it to market by 7-8 months.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Would love to see an I4 Sienna. That 2.7 in the Venza is quite strong and if they dropped weight by a little combined with a lighter powertrain things should be fine. My 220 hp Sienna is more power than I need and I would appreciate Venza like economy. 21/29 for the I4 is pretty good. Probably 20/27 for the Sienna though, but still a nice improvement. May even be more nimble with less weight in the nose.
    The 3.5l does have more than enough Go.

A 2.7l might not be able to tow 3500 lbs, though. Maybe if they downgraded to 2000 lbs, or just kept the V6 for people who want to do that.
  • appsajoy16appsajoy16 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I am in the market for a new minivan and like the 2010 sienna. My car is a 95 nissan maxima. do u suggest i should stick to it and wait the 2011 sienna comes out prob in 1st quarter 2010?

Thanks.
    While I'm not one to suggest a person buy now or later, I can say what our plans are, and that is that we are waiting for the 2011 model.

The production date of January 2010 is just a rumor so far.

BTW, rumor also has it that Honda will be coming out with its next gen Odyssey near the same time. Toyota came out with the 2010 in May; Honda came out with its 2010 shortly afterwards. Looks like both will have a short 2010 model year.
  • nobonobo Member Posts: 305
    If you like the current styling, and your maxima qualifies for C4C, maybe you should buy now. Really depends on your financial situation.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    If you were not qualified for C4C and had the option to wait, would you buy the last model year of the current generation (2010) or the first model year of the next (2011)?

I guess it's the age old question of buying the first model year applied to the Sienna. Does anyone think it would make a difference?

We're in the market (waiting until the C4C madness dies down), like the current 2010 and are wondering if the 2011 would bring any major changes.
    My understanding is that the 2011 model will be a major revision. It appears Honda has moved its 2011 redesigned Odyssey up to be introduced at about the same time as the new Sienna. Rumor, and that's all this is, continues that production of the '11 Sienna will begin in Princeton, IN this coming January.

Inasfar as buying the last year of an aging release versus the first year of a new model, that's something that must be addressed as to the individual's confidence of the manufacturer.
    Major changes (per internet info) are the six speed transmission that is already in the Camry, new front and rear design. There will probably be more updates as well.
    ... there will be a major platform change. Same as new Venza. BUT, have not seen or heard a word about the prospects for a hybrid version with this release (often wondered where they would put the batteries).
    The current model is fairly mature, so I think besides the styling most changes will be merely evolutionary.

I do think it will be styled much differently - look at the new JDM minivans. Square exteriors with very modern interiors.
  • carbuf1carbuf1 Member Posts: 9
    I believe it will look very much a like the Venza inside and out, only on a longer wider wheelbase.
    I watched a few CNET Check the Tech reviews on video (highly recommended) and came up with a few suggestions for the next generation:

* change to hard-drive based Nav rather than DVD-based
    * add trajectory lines to the backup cam
    * add HD radio (it's free, satellite radio isn't)

Mostly, though, I'd like to see some nice features more readily available:

* offer an LE package with power hatch as well
    * or at least offer an XLE with 8 seats
    * reconsider run-flats
    * AWD + 8 seats please
    How about skipping the transmission and driveshafts and replace with electric motors at the front or all (for AWD) wheels. Don't worry about batteries for storage of the power, use the motor connected to a generator to power everything. :D
    Sounds pretty radical. It's a big, heavy vehicle.

I could imagine a gas-electric hybrid starting with the big 4 banger in the base Venza.
    That would be sweet, but I hope it doesn't have the high door sills the Venza (and many new models with high door sills fashioned after the Chrysler 300) has. The passenger seat on the Venza can't be raised up or down, so if one has claustrophobic issues, it won't be fun.

I like the current trucks and vans where you sit up high above the window sill, shoulders and all; not down low like you're in a pit.
    Looks like the driver's shoulders are below the door sill with the wide door panels and narrow side windows. I'd have to give up driving with my left elbow on top of the door panel unless the seat can be adjusted upwards high enough and there's still some headroom.
    Good camo job. Can't see much besides the grille, which is half way between the Venza and the Genesis sedan.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Did you mean door sills or top of door..??

Door vertical deminsions being so tall probably has more to do with gaining a five star safety rating from the feds. PU doors are generally already elevated above T-boning bumper.
    Yes, I really meant to say window sills, not door sills. Brain fart.

I imagine the high door sills will just have to be something I'll have to get used to.
  • quattroheadquattrohead Member Posts: 12
    Lets hope it looks better from the side, that's the only reason we have not already bought one. It looks so plain and slab sided, just a simple styling crease would make it look so much better. They drive great but Mrs Quattrohead is concerned about the look compared to the Odyssey.
    I'll have to agree, the Sienna lacks in the styling arena. Slab sided, and ugly headlights do not help it at all. Looks meek or timid. I like the interior and mechanical features of the Sienna and the exterior styling of the Odyssey.
    The Sienna is no looker, but I don't get why people think the Ody is better?

Both are bread boxes. No style at all.

The Ody doesn't even hide the sliding door rail on the side under the window, more discreetly. Instead you see a bunch of seams and a wide hole.

The headlights on the Ody are HUGE, too big IMHO. I actually like the previous generation Ody better.

Styling probably ranks 113th on my list of criteria for minivans, so I guess it doesn't really matter to me either way.
  • mffan310mffan310 Member Posts: 7
    At the line-off celebration for the US-built Highlander at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indiana (home of the Sienna) today, Toyota officials also confirmed a new Sienna that's launching in January to WTVW-TV 7 (the local FOX affiliate in Evansville, near the TMMI plant). Sounds like an LA Auto Show introduction in December to me, followed by January availability at dealers.

Link: http://tristatehomepage.com/content/fulltext/?cid=101531

Now, the $64,000 question is: Will the AWD Sienna be replaced by a Sienna Hybrid?
    I bet they do.

Toyota has so many AWD/4WD options now - RAV4, Highlander, 4Runner, Sequoia, and the new Venza.

OTOH, it is the only AWD minivan left, so they have the niche to themselves.
    Press reveal will be on December 2.
    One day closer :D
    No spy pics yet?

We saw spy pics of the JDM minivans this early.
    Thanks for the link. I like it. :D
    Good find.

Wheels are huge - 18" at least. Other than that it's evolutionary.
    http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2009/12/2011-toyota-sienna-at-the-2009-- - la-auto-show.html

Highlights:

* 2.7l 4 banger added, +1mpg city, +2 mpg hwy, lower price
    * 6 speed auto
    * 19" wheel option on SE
    * 2nd row leg rests are to die for
    * 8 seater now keeps captain's chairs
    * 16" LCD screen

The 4 banger model may spell trouble for the Dodge Journey, Mazda5, and Kia Rondo.
    Pics are now up. :shades:
    OK, I like it. Now to see how I can get my wife to drive so I can sit in the back, recline the seat and watch TV during our next trip. :D
    From Toyota...

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/all-new-third-generation-toyota-149431- .aspx

LE V6 gets a backup cam, power lift gate, and 3 zone climate control.
    ...but I imagine there will be some "padding" on the window sticker by dealers, especially here in the Twin Cities where minivans are very popular.
    Will work, IF people are willing to pay.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Looks like I got my wish with the 4-cyl. Good for Toyota. It should do fine with a 6 speed tranny.
  • yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    I'm glad I got my Sienna when I did... otherwise I would feel guilty about getting the V6 power. The 4 may be adequate... but nothing more. The 3.5V6 hustles. A silky 6spd might be nice though...