Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Sienna

Comments

• pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    Spent some time this weekend test driving an '11 Sienna XLE White with Bisque Interior.

The van is nice, love the back windshield wiper tucked under the rear spoiler. I still do not understand the MAST ANTENNA though, sales guy said better reception, I say what car in this day still uses mast. On the inside, the carpet was cocoa brown a nice touch with the bisque interior and will save from getting dirty.

The 5 mile test loop shared a nice ride. Van is quiet, rides well. The Information display in the center upper dash requires the utmost perfect seating position to be seen and with all there is to display its too darn small, the Nav will be nice.
    The brakes were as I read from professional reviews mushy.
    Hooked up the iPod to the USB.. cool.. BUT the radio buttons are not logical for easy use of the USB interface, infact in this instance without the Nav, I prefer the MP3 jack.. I can navigate my iPod faster (but that is my nitpick).

Biggest drawbacks- Sienna texture on dash is cheap plastic, similar to Venza BUT no padding. The third row seat folding operation is a real knee breaker, impossible to reach the lever to fold up for someone who is short, the prev gen Sienna and Honda Ody still are better.
    The Ody still TRUMPS in cubby storage space!

There are no deals, it's MSRP ! MSRP ! At least for now.

Toyota has finally simplified its option packages (mats are still an option) BUT Toyota MUST compete with Honda Ody on a much broader scale.. with aggressive lease programs. My dealer guys laughed in agreement of me sharing this with them, as many know Odys are all over, The Sienna would be a fine choice.
    If they choose to be less aggressive the Ody even in 3 yr old design is still the better choice for now.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I didn't notice the wipers but I should check that out - that should help reduce wind noise and aerodynamic drag.

Fitzmall (a no-haggle dealer in the Mid Atlantic) is discounting well below MSRP already, just print out their prices and show them to your dealer as a reality check.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Availability of models depends on region (you input your zip code). I checked with my dealer today and confirmed that what I saw was correct - no LE AWD in Twin Cities / Minnesota. (at least for now) Sorry, but sunroof / leather are not needed in this vehicle (I have a convertible), and I prefer cloth seating for the temp extremes.

Right now, the one I'm most interested in is the LE FWD/4 cylinder. Gotta wait.
  • pturoffpturoff Member Posts: 2
    I have an '04 Sienna XLE LTD AWD that has been great. 98k mis and I'm excited about the '11's. I went to dealer who did not have any yet, but had a LTD AWD coming in a few weeks. I started to get really excited and did some more research online (like many customers, I end up knowing more about the particular model than the salesperson). I "built" one at Toyota's website and noticed no mention of Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC). The 2 most important features I've loved on my '04 are AWD and the Dynamic Cruise Control (the '04 - '10 have a laser version). I "built" a FWD version and voila! DRCC is listed. I contacted salesperson, who had no idea. He contacted Toyota and confirmed indeed DRCC is not available on AWD models!!! Some lame excuse about the extra weight putting it into a different weight class. VERY DISAPPOINTED. Especially since Toyota does not mention this omission. I think there will be a lot of people taking delivery of their fully loaded AWD Sienna who will be upset to find this hi-tech feature was quietly deleted from their car.
  • pturoffpturoff Member Posts: 2
    I stopped in and spoke to dealer to get an idea of pricing for an XLE LTD AWD. Their first offer was sticker less $1,618.00. They were willing to do better with a signed contract. This dealer is in Wappingers Falls, NY.
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    This is still about 2k above invoice.......
    I am wondering how the demand for the "11 Sienna is now based on Toyota's issues, even if the Sienna is a "clean" model with no impacts from recalls (yet).
  • mojdodyrmojdodyr Member Posts: 23
    Test drove 2011 XLE without Navi and RE today. Insides are not impressive to say the least. Dash and instumental panel of my 2006 LE looks better in my opinion. The color of the wooden panel is too dark. Rear view camera's screen is small and awkwardly placed. I was quoted the price of $31,271 for the car with MSRP of 33264 but would have to wait till Odyssey shows up. Love the exterior look of new Sienna, but interior is very dissappointing. Don't see the need to upgrade. My current Sienna has all the safety features of the new one. I believe I had paid 24k back in the days for my - this one would cost 7k just for a leather, sunroof, rear view camera and 3 zones climate control ((
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "...has all the safety features.."

Not if that includes F/awd, the 2011 has a very significant improvement in that area.
  • mojdodyrmojdodyr Member Posts: 23
    What exactly do you mean by F/awd? I don't really like an idea of Run Flats - so AWD for me isn't an option. What other major safety features does the new Sienna has in comparisson to the previous model?
    I was looking at the pictures of Limited and the wood trim there appears to be lighter than on XLE - more like Lexus-style. Is it possible to choose different wood trim options for the XLE?
    I'm lost - LE for 28.5k vs XLE for 31.5 vs Limited for 38k - the only difference is in trims, extra sunroofs, lazer controlled cruise controls and other non essential toys - do you think those are worse the price?
    F/awd: Front torque biased AWD. In the case of earlier Siennas they were never AWD except with wheelspin/slip wherein TC enforced torque distribution to the rear.
  • cindaddycindaddy Member Posts: 5
    So, we needed a new van quickly. Wife wanted the new Sienna, so we picked up a Salsa Red XLE model (8 passenger, FWD) that was loaded. Dealer had to get it from upstate. We paid $2500 under the sticker which was the best that I could get. I did get an extended warranty thrown in with some creative number crunching. I'm happy with the deal and the warranty helps with all the electronics involved. Really liking it so far.Slightly louder at highway speeds than I would prefer, but not bad. Most of the complaints I've seen about the new Sienna are not things that bother me. If anyone has any questions, let me know.
    Congrats! I've seen one other order, but you're the first I've seen who took delivery already.

XLE + 8 seats was not something you could get with the outgoing model, so that's a nice little bonus.

The warranty is probably worth $800 or so, so that sounds like a good deal to me, for such a brand new model.

Let us know your gas mileage and any other early impressions.

What did you own previously?
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    Congrats. I think gas mileage is what we're all curious about, so when you've got a few tanks in it, let us know what you're seeing!

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

OK. I'll need to reset the Mileage calculator tomorrow and give you guys a good read.
  • ssinwellssinwell Member Posts: 14
    I'm an owner of a 2004 Sienna XLE - this was the first year of the 2nd gen. BTW, I am glad that I bought the platinum warranty, because the warranty was very used. I am a Toyota fan, and I have rationalized the problems stemming from the fact I bought in year one. One thing that really bother me on this van is that the front tires never last more than about 17,000 miles due to a systemic issue with the front end. Probably a lemon, but by the time I figured it out (when the third set of tires gave out) I had owned the car for three years. But we have also had a weld fail on the sliding door and the tranny gave out too. Having said that, this van has been very comfortable to ride, and we have made many trips to LA and SFO.

In any event, it is time for what we think will be our final van. Yesterday, we checked out a 2011 XLE (did not test drive). Our first impression was the style of the van is pretty decent and well done. However, the rest was downhill for us, and in summary we think our old 2004 is a bit more roomy and has better interior materials. The big negative issues for us: the second row does not have nearly as much leg room as our 2004, and the leg room of the front seats seems slighty less than our 2004. The visibility is less in the 2011, as the rear window has a bizarre black out border, combined with a slightly sloping down roofline, which also results in less headroom. In summary, the 2011 is noticeably smaller inside where it counts. And since I'm 6'4", this counts for a lot. In addition, while there are some nice technology adds (like the add of a 100W plug-in), the materials seems inferior, although the comfort of the seats remains intact and are comfortable.

We did not test drive, because we were not pleased with the new model, and did get a "wow" factor. In fact, it seemed like a step-down from our 2004, and we were left wondering what was the point of the new model. So at this point we will go explore other options, such as the Honda van and maybe go check out the Ford Flex. Maybe we will go back to the 2011 Sienna. Will keep you guys posted.
  • hitchens97hitchens97 Member Posts: 62
    Congrats - that's best deal posted so far - at least 3K below sticker taking into account extended warranty.

One dealer in Oakland is offering 2K under on the XLE. It seems to me that 2K under MSRP is "par" on an XLE, and anything better is a birdie or better.
    Thanks! I like the soccer analogy. Anyway, we're snowed in here pretty good now and I probably won't be driving much this week. I'm glad things worked out for us because we couldn't wait until the summer (the '04 Quest was accelerating towards death) and we have a driving vacation at the end of month. I wasn't going to buy an Odyssey or Quest with the new ones coming this summer, so we took a chance. Wife really liked it. There is only a couple things that I don't really like so far. If you push the brake pedal down and let go fast, which is my habit, it makes a pretty decent noise when it pops up. The other is just that some of the buttons are a stretch from the driver side, but they're infrequently used. I'm nitpicking. The seats alone make it worth it to me. I love them.
    Edit: I have no idea why I said soccer. I meant golf. :blush:
    What about a bargain on a left over 2010 model?
  • toyohotoyoho Member Posts: 8
    What's a realistic asking price for a leftover 2010 model? I've noticed the prices of the '10 are comparable to the new model at some dealers; they can't be serious. I admit to liking the outgoing model as much as gen three, but I appreciate that the newer version has the USB port standard, eliminating the time and hassle of having an aftermarket kit installed for the 2010.

Unless I've missed it, I haven't heard anyone speak of the ride quality for the 2011 model. How does it handle? Is the ride smooth and supple? How would you rate it against the previous model?
    Prices are up across the board compared to when I bought in 2007.

2010s are nearly a grand more now.

2011s are higher still. In the prices paid thread some got an LE V6 with only floor mats for $27 something. That was $24.8k back in 2007.
  • toyohotoyoho Member Posts: 8
    Thanks! I'll have to check out that thread shortly.
  • fawltytowers44fawltytowers44 Member Posts: 58
    I have driven a number of Sienna's from 2004 through 2008 and have never found a comfortable seating position - is the driver seat in the 2011 any improvement over the previous incarnations, I know they added two inches to the fore/aft travel which should help some . It would be nice if they would just put the Lexus LX seats in it.
    We're all shaped differently, so I think that's something you're going to have to test-fit at a dealership.

Make sure you deploy the arm rests, they help.
    I can't speak for previous models, but I mentioned earlier that the seats were my favorite part of the 2011 model. For those asking about mileage, it appears to be exceeding the quoted Highway estimate with cruise control in use. Around 25 mpg when driving mostly at 69 mph. City mileage appears to be around 19.
  • caliskywatchercaliskywatcher Member Posts: 5
    I feel a bit silly for asking this but....

I am halfway through my first tank of gas on my new 2011 XLE. When I go to fill it up what grade of fuel should I use?
  • nobonobo Member Posts: 305
    Have you read your owners manual? Sooo much great info in there.

IIRC, the Sienna uses Rugular fuel.
    Regular.

There are higher output versions of the 2GR V6 (in a lot of Lexus models for instance) and those require premium, but not the Sienna.
  • caliskywatchercaliskywatcher Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2010
    Thanks a lot for the responses on fuel type. Haven't had time yet to read the manual and still can't figure out the interior lights so I guess it is time to open it up :blush:
  • tarukytaruky Member Posts: 18
    So we have a 2005 Sienna and I saw the 2011 Sienna at the DC auto show and recently at a dealer. At the auto show I got to see a Limited version. Personally, I find the new interior to look cheaper than the 2nd generation model. As some have noted, the plastic is harder and less rich in appearance. I do not like the faux wood, it reminds me of that fake wood on the station wagons from the 1980's. How often do you see wood that dark and dull in a luxury car? The navigation system frame and the way it sits on the dashboard almost has an aftermarket appearance.

There are some positives. It's a lot more utilitarian than the 2nd generation model.

Our car really felt a lot like driving a Lexus, albeit an entry level one. I wish Toyota took this generation one step further in that regard instead of one step back.
  • nobonobo Member Posts: 305
    So did you drive the 2011? How does it compare to your 2005 on the road?
  • tarukytaruky Member Posts: 18
    Unfortunately I haven't driven it yet, just sat in the car and soaked in the cabin. I was really writing about the interior feel. I'm sure it drives really nicely, I'll post something on it after test driving it. Maybe it will grow on me.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    What is Toyota thinking with the packaging of this thing??? In the Mid-Atlantic region, the ONLY way to get the DVD system is to get the premium package--so you have to buy the $32900 XLE, then add the $6250 premium package. Therefore, you've got to pay $39k just to get a rear entertainment system?

That's nuts. The previous-gen Sienna was not packaged this way--at one point, it was possible to even get it on the LE. The Odyssey made RES available on the EX-L--and made NAV a separate add-on.

There are a lot of families who want the DVD system. I have an 07 Odyssey EX-L with 30k miles. I've been generally happy with it but with two kids now, I wish it had integrated DVD (we have strap ons but its hard to operate). Given that my Ody is still worth a ton, I'd be interesting in trading...but not at those prices.
  • zawaprzzawaprz Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    No.. this is not true!! To get DVD system you can get EY and C4 package.. that's total 35700 for MSRP.. that is base xle 32K + ~2.5K!

BTW; the mentioned package has 6 speakers Toyota's sound system that simply sounds better from JBL's 10 speakers! Good news it's coming without their GPS!!

(that's what we've got): with that you still get IPOD support and blue-tooth as standard! *just reminder: no HID (*that's for Limited), and not second moon-roof (another Limited)...

We like ours: has fantastic projector light (very bright, with white angle), and superb high beam! Also the very comfy leather seats!

Very intuitive blue-tooth programming for phone connectivity.

As mentioned earlier over 19mph in city like environment when you drive watching your little Eco green light, that is while very tender on accel. pedal.

Just remember; you'll not have a smart key, or 3rd row electrically folded as opposed to model you mentioned for 39K. I did not care about those toys especially that Toyota's 6 speakers sounds more 'with juice' than that legendary jbl 10 speakers, so for us that was a clear winner. Heaving Video-DVD with this system + all rest with no smart key, and electrically folded 3rd row (and rest all the same) did work.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    Not in the Central Atlantic Region--you can't even order one that way, according to buyatoyota. Or go look at www.fitzmall.com -- my preferred dealer--they've got about 100 Siennas on order--not a single one configured the way yours is.

That's the rub with Toyota--regions determine configurations. Its insanity.
  • kkgaddiekkgaddie Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking forward to getting a new Sienna, now I'm not sure. The 2011 has the color options of almost white with a hint of tan, or almost white with a hint of grey. What was Toyota thinking? After all,don't most van owners have kids?, Its hard to buy a car that you know( without a doubt) will see some type of liquid accidently dropped or ground into the seats. At least with the older models sienna, the darker seats helped hide the kiddy prints.
    With four kids, how could I possibly buy a car/van that I know will be stained with in two days?
    If anyone at Toyota cares, let the Sienna have a darker interior, as it stands now, only the sport model SE can opt for this necessity.
    More likely the (st,d)ealer's are at fault, they want the profits from aftermarket DVD sale and install.
  • fessfess Member Posts: 1
    On the '10, you can get an LE with a DVD without having to upgrade trim level or buying a lot of other stuff in the package. In the 11 you have to go all the way up to an XLE and even then you have to get a package.

I am replacing an 05 Sienna. Toyota had an easy sale in me. I'm waiting to see what Honda does now.
    Yup, dealers see the popular feature and push people upmarket to increase sales. At $2400 it is great, one of the best on the market, but still a cash cow for Toyota.

My 12" screen was $900 installed. I could spend the other $1500 on a laptop for my wife, iTouches for each of my kids, and still have a few hundred left. Maybe a Nintendo DSi for my boy.

That's a lot of dough.
  • fly2livfly2liv Member Posts: 2
    I have been anxiously following the release of the 2011 Sienna since my 2000 Honda Odyssey is finally reaching the end of its useful life as a kid and co-worker transporter (only 70,000 miles). I've been carefully reading the comments in this and other forums, and decided it's time to visit my local dealership for an up close inspection. The dealer had a Mystic Teal Limited version in the showroom that I was given free access to.

Everything was great until I went to sit in the 2nd row. I am only 6ft tall, but as soon as I sat in that comfortable 2nd row seat my head hit the roof. I had my coworkers sit in both seats and they too had the same exact issue. When the Toyota sales rep finally came over and asked if I had any questions I asked mentioned that I hit my head when sitting in the 2nd row. He commented that he's 6ft 2in and he didn't have any problem. So I asked him to sit in the seat so I could see. Sure enough, his head was firmly planted on the roof. His suggestion was to recline the seat which is far from an acceptable solution.

When we returned back to my 2000 Honda Odyssey we carefully checked out the headroom and found that we had at least 5 inches between the tops of our heads and the roof. My Odyssey doesn't have a sunroof over the 2nd row, but this just made it more obvious to me that this could be a real issue for me.

Has anybody else tried the 2011 Sienna Limited and observed the headroom issues in the 2nd row? Unfortunately I was unable to sit in an XLE to compare. I would need to regain at least 3 inches of headroom before I would even consider the Sienna. I really wanted the Sienna, but it looks like my hopes are now going to be on the new Honda Odyssey. If they've cut the headroom on that model I am not sure where my next vehicle will come from. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.
  • tfaw_bigtfaw_big Member Posts: 9
    I think that the Sienna 2011 is not superior in total to the 2004-2010 Sienna. When combined with what seems to be a huge indifference to the customer and quality control standards by Toyota, it seems very illogical to take purchase a 2011. Even the Chairman of Toyota stated his company has expanded too fast and they lost touch. That would be true for all functions of the Company, including design, engineering and production. We all know when the 2004 came out, it was a "WOW. I was so impressed I bought one and paid the full freight (MSRP).

This model has none of that; there is no real WOW factor, I have been a loyal Toyota customer, but the combination of the two issues (no wow factor and an issue with the foundation of the company) tell me to at best take a time out and not buy a 2011.

I'm hoping my 2004 Sienna will last one more year. Perhaps by then things will have gotten better with the company, we will also now about the quality of the 2011, and the new Honda will be out.
    :cry:
  • jennlehrjennlehr Member Posts: 1
    can you answer a few quest for me please... when you remove the 8th seat, are you left with that plastic tray in the floor? how do your passengers get thru to the third row.. my other really big quest is... can passengers exit the third row by themselves.. that is to say after second row passengers have exited and left!!! on the ody the realease button is up by the headrest so no prob. the sienna seemed to have it so low down .. have you had this problem yet? thanks
  • wasabeewasabee Member Posts: 31
    Hi Jennlehr,

I have test drove the LE, XLE and Limited 2011 Sienna model... The base for the 8th seat is a really bad design... It is not removable at all and like me I have a 3 yr old who likes to walk between the two middle seats, she was tripping like crazy and leaving dirty foot prints. If I was to purchase the Sienna I will only go for the 7 seat model. It was a great concept to have the 8th seat removable and stow in the back, but the base was something toyota is covering when you view all the videos online. You got to go see it at the dealer to see how horrible the base is.

The passenger in the 3rd row can exit by pushing the 2nd row seats forward much like what the SUV with 3rd row must do.

Overall, I was seriously considering the Limited since it has front sonar and rear sonar (front sonar is not available on XLE :( ) But all these Toyota issues have gotten me wonder if I should wait till the Honda Odyssey 2011 or even the 2010 if I need it now. My family has had toyota only for the last 25 years from corolla, camry, Previa, Matrix, Prius, Tacoma... Now, I am just wondering if I should keep this toyota loyalty going with all these mess!!!! I need to see like a huge incentives before I would go with toyota again I think... Honda is in my mind the last few days.
    They lost a few items (big 8th seat, soft touch materials) but they also gained some (16" DVD, backup cam without Navi, 6EAT, 3 zone climate std, etc.).

All in all I think it depends on which model you compare.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    That SE model has my interest. I always thought I'd go AWD, but hmm...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• b747b747 Member Posts: 10
    Fly2liv,

Have you tried to sit on the Ody 2010EX? I sat on both cars and I felt the Sienna11 has much more room than the Ody. Only the third row on the Ody is better thougth.
  • nddaddynddaddy Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I test drove an '11 Sienna LE today. We will be having our 3rd child in a few months and will need something with more space than the 4Runner. Before the test drive, I was 90% sure we would be buying a new Sienna, probably an XLE. I think it is this best looking minivan (ever) made.

The test drive went well. The van handles nicely and sure smoothed out the rough spots in the road, which we intentionally did not avoid. Power was plenty adequate. This was a front-wheel drive LE, and did not do too well starting on a steep, icy incline (we live in ND), but it's not AWD, so how much can you expect? The interior did seem kind of cheap and confirmed that I would probably want to go with an XLE. (The taupe Limited interior we looked at in the showroom had a much better appearance). As others have stated, the dash is hard plastic and in fact, feels worse than it looks. But, I don't drive around feeling the dash, so I could live with it. Maybe cheap would feel good in a crash.

The real problem for me was the 8-seat arrangement. We will soon have 3 kids in car seats, the oldest will be four years old. A 4-year old is not going to be able to tilt the middle seats and push them forward (besides, both middle seats will have car seats in them, there won't be any tilting going on). So the 4-year old is going to have to get to the back by going between the middle seats, and at least for a while, mom or dad is going to have to follow her to buckle her in. The tray left behind when the middle seat is removed is probably a deal breaker for us. It sticks up 4 inches or so, and someone is going to be constantly tripping over it.

You can get a 7-seat arrangement in the XLE only with AWD, or in a limited AWD or FWD (+$$$), or I think in an LE with AWD or FWD and a cheap interior. But no XLE FWD. We'll probably check out the '10 carryovers and then head on over to the Honda dealer. Wonder when the new Odysseys will be out.....................I know Toyota can't customize it for everyone, but I don't think we fit in their "slots".
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=422
    No head restraint ratings, but given their slightly uncomfortable angle, I think they'll score well.
  • yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    We got a 2008 Sienna when expecting our third. The full size eighth seat with the front and center placement is very nice for carrying an infant in the van. It is a shame Toyota ruined the eighth seat in the new Sienna, but it sound like Honda may be coming to the rescue with a real eighth seat again.

Wait for the new Ody if you can.
  • husker92husker92 Member Posts: 44
    Hey nddaddy, that 8th seat bracket was the deal breaker for us too. That and the seat belt contraption that is attached to the driver side 2nd row seat. Very bad design. Our dog likes to sit in that space and when have our kids' friends with us, they just go thru the middle to get to the back. The 2011 would not work for us.

We went with a 2010 instead - good deals to be had right now if you can still find the color and options you want. Plus it just feels so much roomier than 2011 IMHO.

Good luck.