Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• hlronhlron Member Posts: 113
    I have been tracking the MPG on my 2004 V-6 two wheel drive since I purchased it in January; as of my last fill up I had 3,936 miles on my 4Runner and have averaged 18.11 miles per gallon for those miles. Mix of city and highway driving. /Ron
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I take mine out on the beach with the oem Dunlop. I air them down to 20PSI and get around as good as any. I noticed Chevy 4WD pick ups were not doing near so well as Ford 4WD pick ups in the sand.. 2 Chevy's got stuck and needed a little help getting out.
     The Bridgestones may do well for me out in the sand.
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    2003 V8 Sport 4-runner
    16+ MPG - 80% city, 20% highway
    On a recent trip, I averaged @20MPG highway - It was nice not having to fill up until I reached 400 miles on the tank of gas.
  • toyboxxtoyboxx Member Posts: 150
    Sport V8 and at the most I get 15mpg, calculated. I hardly do much highway but I also don't live directly in the city so it is not constant stop and go either. Mostly I'm getting around 13 to 14 mpg. I'm sure it has been said before but the displayed mpg's in the 4Runner is at least 2mpg's optimistic. Above numbers in my post are calculated and not read off the display.
  • dillondillon Member Posts: 16
    I am new to the board and I am picking up a new 04 SR5 today.
    A few questions please:
    I noticed that the oil filter is accessible at the top of the engine on the 04. Can someone comment on the procedure to change oil on this truck?
    Also, I decided on the SR5 versus the sport as I prefer the non-scoop hood, but realize that the XREAS suspension is lacking on the SR5.
    Is this suspension primarily for people that want to do offroading, or is this a safety suspension that is something I should have considered?
    Thanks in advance,
    Dillon
    I drive about 60% highway and 40% urban on my daily commute with my 03 Sport V-8. I get 17.4 mpg. I get about 19 at 55-60 mph on the highway. If I do 70-75 in 65 and 70 mph zones, it drops back to about 18.
     These are actual, not the display. I do avoid fast starts and slow for red lights trying not to stop completely. The trick to getting better mileage is trying to drive smoothly with no fast starts or hard braking. Now to get those other drivers to cooperate with not having to stop quickly.
    I personally did not buy a Sport V8 to do slow starts and easy braking. You gotta pay to play.

I have had enough "slow" with my previous 4Runners. They finally have some giddyup and I use it.

Pat84 - unless you tow, why did you buy a V8 if you are concerned about gas mileage?
    I'm not that concerned with gas mileage . I just try to drive smoothly. I feel when commuting, I save some wear and tear on the 4Runner. I use all the V-8 when I get out to pass on a 2 lane road, for example.
       I really got the V-8 for its low end torque off road. I've owned two CJ-5 Jeeps and realized that low end torque was what one needed off road.
       BTW when I bought my Sport V-8, the 6 was just coming out. It came out about 6 months after the 8. My dealer didn't have a an 03 6 on his lot yet.
  • alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    The X-REAS Suspension improves on road handling predominantly. It helps to smooth out the turns so that the 4Runner feels more confident with less body roll. It helps in both everyday driving and in emergency lane change maneuvers. It also seems to make the ride smoother, although that may be due also in part to the Rear Air Suspension that is standard on the Limited and optional on the Sport. I am not sure about it's availability on an SR5 though.

Congrats on your new 4Runner! You will be sure to love it :)
    I've been getting around 19-20 mpg on the highway and 14-16 mpg, which is pretty close to advertised. I drive a mix of both highway and city, with a bit more emphasis on city driving.

Mileage definitely suffers when applying "the lead foot." Smooth progressively harder presses on the accelerator help improve mileage a bit. I haven't noticed any appreciable difference when using an "off" brand of gasoline as compared to a name brand gasoline, although performance seems to be smoother when using Exxon (in my experience) as opposed to an "off" brand.

Has anyone used a product called "Tornado" that is supposed to improve mileage by 24%? I have seen it on television, but don't know of anyone who actually has used it. It is even sold through stylinaccessories.com, which is a reputable retailer.
    Rear air suspension is NOT optional on the Sports. That feature is only AVAILABLE on the Limiteds and is not standard.
    Do you read your mileage or calculate it?
  • dirtdriverdirtdriver Member Posts: 12
    --TruckTrend magazine seems to be doing a long term test of a 4Runner. They appear to be very happy with the Dunlops so far. The tire performed well in their big suv comparison especially in the sand dunes on a Sequoia. Regardless of all the posts I have seen against the Dunlop Rover At, I like the tire for street and highway use very much. The balance on it is perfect, no shimmy at speed. Grips well and no theatrics when hauling down to a rapid stop. Very quiet and dosen't seem to track in the highway grooves. Been great on trips in wet and snow up to Big Bear. Have had it up some tough washes in Death Valley and SE Nevada. Worked great in the Dunes up near Kelso Ca, same place MotorTrend does its sand testing. I have had ZX Turbos and Supra Turbos with high performance tires. I like this tire for what it is. The Revos seem to be making people even happier. Only thing is they are not suited for off road travel. Take a ride up Cottonwood,Galena or Hanaupah Canyon in Death Valley and you will get concerned about the sidewalls real fast. Desert asphalt at its finest! Single sidewalls on the Dunlap and Revo or any other tire means a rock or sharp stick will eventually cut it real easy. For my use the best compromise seems to be the "C" rated 3ply BFG AT Ko. When I went to look at the Revos the dealer asked where I drove off road and immediately recommended 3Ply tires. But that is the fun of it, everyone has their special needs and preferences. If it wasnt that way it would be so booooor-ing.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    Pat84 wrote: "I'm not that concerned with gas mileage . I just try to drive smoothly. I feel when commuting, I save some wear and tear on the 4Runner."

I, for one, am in agreement here. In my humble opinion, one of the surest ways to prematurely wear out a vehicle (even a 4Runner) and/or its key components, is to routinely drive it in an aggressive or "abusive" manner. This would include frequent jackrabbit starts, hard accelerations, speed shifting/down-shifting, severe braking, hard turns, oversteering, etc. The routine practicing of such habits will more quickly wear out tires, brake components, suspensions, front-ends, etc.; as well as being very hard on the engine and drivetrain. If you wanna play, then be prepared to pay, big time-- especially once your vehicle's warranty expires.

I don't drive like an old woman, nor do I drive like a testosterone-crazed adolescent maniac. When the situation calls for it, I enjoy kicking my '03, V8 4Runner Limited into afterburner; but I don't routinely drive this way. In general, I prefer to employ smooth, gentle accelerations; as well as smooth and non-jarring braking and steering, because this improves fuel consumption, vehicle longevity, and ride comfort. The 4Runner is a truck, not a sports car.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I calculate my mileage -- I don't trust the computer as I've found them to be optimistic in other vehicles.

Regarding the Dunlops, they aren't bad in the dry and rain, but they suck in snow. I'll probably get some dedicated snow tires before next winter.
  • themanqthemanq Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2004 SR5 V8 4WD. I have noticed a low-pitch humming noise (also a slight vibration from the gas pedal) from the drivetrain when accelerating from about 1500rpm and the noise/vibration goes away at about 2000rpm, no matter what the speed. Has anyone else noticed this noise and how did you fix it? Thanks.
  • hlronhlron Member Posts: 113
    I should have noted in my post ##9741 regarding tracking the MPG on my 2004 V-6 two wheel drive since I purchased it in January that I too calulate it, it is not based on the readout at all. So, my average of 18.11 MPG (mix of city and highway)based on 3,936 miles is calculated, based on my gas reciepts and gallons used. As a side note, I filled up Wednesday evening (April 21), went on a 340 mile trip (mostly freeway)Thursday and filled up again Thursday evening - the calculated average for the trip was 20.6 MPG (by the way, the readout read 22.4 when I filled up; as others have noted with theirs, my computer readout is a bit optimistic - but it is good for a general guide while driving around; like a watch that is five minutes fast, it still gives a reference of how you are doing). /Ron
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    2003 SR5 V6 4X4 getting 18.3 MPG combined city, hwy, & offroading. The mileage has increased 2/10th's since the weather warmed up some. Vehicle has 6000+ miles, but MPG has been consistent since the day it was purchased.
    No Toyota of mine (and I've had quite a few) has ever cost me big time. I don't drive irresponsibly but I also don't "think" about driving nice and easy either.
    Just got my 04 SR5
    Wondering if anyone has suggestions as to what mileage point is the best time to use synthetic oil. I have been told to start at 10k by a few, and others say right away at the first oil change?
    Also, anyone have any thoughts on the quality of the napa gold oil filter and the green air filters?
    Thanks in advance,
    Dillon
    If you switch to synthetic I can't see why it would matter when. I did at around 8k but that was because it took me some time to get my Amsoil.

I would stick with Toyota OEM oil and air filters. They are the highest quality and can be had inexpensively at Partznet.com

Don't forget the cabin air filter, that gets really dirty and is filtering the air you breath.
  • glb2glb2 Member Posts: 14
    04 SR5 V6

I've changed my oil @ 5000mi but can't seem to get the MAINT light to go off after following the manuals instructions. Will some please walk me through this? Thanks
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    I just had to reset my MAINT light today at lunch time. I beleive the instructions are in the manual on about page 112. Anyway, turn the key "on" and set the odometer to the total mileage readout, not the 'a' or 'b' trip settings. Then turn the key off (when you can pull it out of the ignition). Then hold down the odometer reset buton (the top one). While holding the reset button turn the ignition key to the 'on' position (when all of the gauge warning lights come on). The MAINT light flashes, then stays on for a second or two, then goes completely out. At this point you can release the reset button. This should make the MAINT light go out. If not, try repeating these steps again. Hope this helps.
  • my2centsmy2cents Member Posts: 20
    Join the club. There are many others who have experienced what you describe. If affects both V6 and V8 configurations, so I have to conclude its driveline and not engine or transmission. In my case I can say its very irritating at ambient temps. below 32 degrees. At 40 to 50 degrees its annoying, 50 to 60 degrees I can detect it, and around 65 to 70 degrees ambient temperature its gone. The machine runs smooth as glass. So I have to say its HIGHLY temperature sensitive in my case. Tolerances in the drive train must be so tight that they cant make it work at all temperatures. There have been some posts mentioning a possible fix but it hasnt happened yet. I took the truck in and had them document my complaint. Of course they said they could feel no vibration now. I will have to wait til next winter when its about 0 degrees and bring it back in for another test drive with the dealer. Good luck.
    FWIW, I own an '03, V8, AWD 4Runner Limited, with over 15,000 miles logged, and I've yet to experience the problem you've described, at any ambient temps. so far.

I'm not sure if this has any relevance, but at each 5000 mile oil change/lube, I make it a point to remind the service shop to be sure to lubricate my 4Runner's propeller shafts, slip-yokes, and U-joints with lithium grease, etc. While they have always assured me that this is a routine part of their lubrication service, I still make it a point to have it in writing on the service invoice. (I also now use Quaker State Full Synthetic motor oil, and while it may be just my imagination, my 4Runner seems to run even smoother and to have more "effortless" power-on-demand.)
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    I did a fairly comprehensive pre-delivery inspection of my 2004 V8 4X4 Sport today. I have to say, what an awesome vehicle. There was absolutely nothing to write up. The tire preas. was even correct. There was no drive line vibration. The dealer is even going to loosen the lug nuts and torque them to spec. The 4Runner is replacing a ML430, and the 4runner is a better vehicle by a huge margin. More power, better mpg, handles better, and presumably, will be more reliable (it's a Toyota!). This vehicle was a special order, as I wanted a basic Sport model, with the side curtain air bags, and no sunroof. That's how it came. Can't wait to take delivery.
    Cheers
    Pat
    Hello and welcome! Congratulations on your new 4Runner!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think the swirl gizmos are snake oil. More in The accessories to improve mileage and extend engine life board.

Steve, Host
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    The numbers I provided are all calculated, not read from the dash display. I do not trust the dash display. Regardless of my travels, the numbers seem to gravitate to 17.3 MPG, 29 Avg MPH.
  • coolpop36coolpop36 Member Posts: 65
    I just picked mine up last weekend and have been enjoying it immensely ever since. An awesome vehicle, without question.

I have an 04 Limited 4X2, Pacific Blue / Taupe, NAV, XREAS, moonroof, side curtain air bags, and factory spoiler. The Pac blue color looks fantastic on a bright sunny day.

So far, after one week and 690 miles, no rattles, squeaks, vibrations, funny noises, nothing but quietness. I traded an Infiniti G35 for this truck, and the Infiniti was truly a POS - the driver's seat moved, popped and clicked, there were rattles and squeaks galore, and the body groaned and creaked. Incredibly annoying and disappointing. This truck, however, is solid so far. The 6 1/2 month wait for the special order was worth it.

I LOVE THIS TRUCK!
  • ladyofluxuryladyofluxury Member Posts: 93
    Thanks everyone for their mileage input. I'm just trying to get a feel of the ownership experience of the 4Runner thus far. Enjoy!
  • kc4runnerkc4runner Member Posts: 2
    First of all, a genuine/sincere "thank you" to everyone on this board. I've picked up a TON of super background info about the latest 4Runners/etc by reading thru literally thousands of previous posts... this board is phenomenal for the info that can be gleaned from it!!

This may end up sounding silly/pathetic - but here goes anyway (and besides, this might be less embarrassing than my calling up my Toyota Dealer service dept on Monday!).

I just bought and drove home a new 2004 SR5 V8 3rd row backseat 4Runner yesterday (hurray!). I've been driving a 1992 SR5 4Runner for the last 12 years since buying it new back in 1992. I absolutely love the 2004 so far (as I did and still do the 1992!)...

The 2004 is an incredibly impressive vehicle. The V8 is truly inspiring. Trust me, if you had been driving a 1992 V6 with 150hp, you would be dancing/prancing in the streets as well with the V8. Though I do desperately miss not having a manual transmission anymore... that's one of the biggest things I'll miss from my '92. :(

OK, here's my question...

I've been pouring over this new one in my garage (besides also driving it around of course!) becoming familiar with all the controls, adjustments, checking the tire inflation, etc, etc - and yes, even reading thru the owner's manual - all 407 pages! This baby is a LOT more complicated/complex than my '92!

Late this afternoon, I decided to spot check the oil level just to be thorough - but here's the deal - I went to pull out the doggone oil dipstick and this thing wouldn't budge. I started to get ready to really yank/pull on it - but thought better about doing that and started wondering if there might be some sort of trick to it - like twisting it or something then pulling the dipstick out (???). I really did feel like I was already pulling way too hard on it as it was (to no effect) and deciding to back off a little bit and think this thru...

I did go back and triple check the owner's manual and it simply says to just pull the dipstick out...

Sooo, I suppose I'm just asking if it's really supposed to be that difficult to pull out the doggone oil dipstick on these V8 iForce engines?? Or am I just being overly sensitive/careful with the new one. (I've certainly never had this on my '92. With the oil cap yes! But not with just pulling the dipstick out!) The engine wasn't hot or even warm at all when I tried this on the new one so perhaps that might have had something to do with it (??) [and I do know to normally check the oil only when the engine is warm], but I would appreciate any feedback on if this dipstick can be that stubborn to pull out - or if there are any "tricks" to it.

Just when it dawned on me to try calling my Dealer's Service Dept, I realized they had closed a couple hours earlier. So, any input/feedback on this would be sincerely/honestly appreciated!!

Tom from KC

PS And thank you again to everyone that has made this board such a wonderfully rich, fun, and helpful source of valuable information!
    My '03, V8 4Runner Limited's oil dipstick pulls out quite easily. I think you would be well advised to relax and leave it alone for now; and to bring your vehicle to your dealership at your earliest convenience. Let us know how you make out.
    Hi
    Can someone recommend the frequency to change the cabin air filter and where is it located.
    Is there an aftermarket(green)that is of better quality? I have bad asthma and could use the best.
    Also, does anyone know the correct torque on the lug nuts for the sr5?
    Thanks
  • kc4runnerkc4runner Member Posts: 2
    kheintz1, thanks for the reply...

It's working fine today/now - the oil dipstick that is! I drove the 4Runner around quite a bit today and tried the dipstick when I got back (with the engine nice and warm). It came out without too much difficulty or inordinate amount of pulling. It was a little bit of a bear getting it all the way back down/in - but that eventually worked fine as well... new owner jitters I suppose! :):) thanks again!

PS This new 4Runner is taking a little getting used to - I keep wanting to push in the clutch with my left foot (like my old '92)! But all is very well and I am very impressed/happy with it!
  • highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    The remote keyless entry system on my 04 Limited has over a 250 foot range. It wasn't until the other night when walking to my truck that was almost 300 feet away that I pushed the remote just to see if it would work at that distance... and it did. Must be the location of the antenna or an improved remote system? My wife's 03 Avalon is good for maybe 30 feet, my 02 4Runner was about 50 feet. I have had many cars with factory remote entries and never had this much range. Has anyone else noticed this? Advantages are you can locate you vehicle in a parking lot or set off the alarm if necessary from many feet away.

This is just another feature that has me extremely pleased with this outstanding vehicle. 6200 miles and NO PROBLEMS, this truck is near perfect.
  • mgabel2mgabel2 Member Posts: 37
    EXCEPT: if you are far from the truck and you tinker with your keys, you can unlock it and not know it because it's so far away. I'd rather it not be so sensitive. I do know it would lock on its own after 30 or so seconds, but thats's 30 seconds that it's unlocked in a parking lot without you knowing it while someone else could know it.

[And, twice I opened the rear window without realizing it and came back to the truck and found it open.]

Otherwise, at 3100 miles, my 04 V8 sport (with side air bags) is just wonderful.
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    dillon, the 2003 repair manual says 83 ft-lbs for the lug nut torque on the 4Runner. I doubt that it's changed for 2004, or that it's different for 16" and 17" wheels.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    for scoring perfect marks in all quality categories in 2004 JD Power Initial Quality Survey!
  • aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    Does anyone know if its possible to lower it a few inches to reduce its tendency to roll-over? Any idea on how much it would cost?

Hope they soon improve it so less people are killed and put in wheel chairs, and have the faces damaged, the necks snapped, their kids hurt, and so on from these roll-overs.

Rotten milage, to boot. You would think if Ford has a hybrid SUV comming out Toyota would (Lexus doesn't count since thats a luxery item). Bravo Ford for bringing an inexpensive SUV with great mileage to market.
    You can lower a 4Runner a few inches very easily.
       Let most or all the air out of the tires. If you let all the air out, you won't be able to drive it and roll it over. This will keep you from using all that gas, and getting such rotton mileage, too.
       None of this applies to Lexus since it's a luxury item.
       I think you deserve a Ford.
    Oh and by the way I think the TOYOTA Highlander will soon offer a hybrid.

:coughtrollcough:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think you were looking for the I don't like SUVs, why do you? discussion.

tidester, host
    Most roll-overs are most likely due to driver error and carelessness. SUVs are not inherently dangerous. If people drove ANY passenger vehicle with concentration and no distractions from cell phone use, weaving, and driving at speeds inappropriate to the prevailing traffic conditions, then the number of roll-overs and other accidents would be lessened.

Toyota will be selling the hybrid Highlander soon. BTW, the Ford hybrid has been delayed for two years. Ford promised a hybrid, but could not produce it in time. Meanwhile, Toyota has it's second generation hybrid car in production and the Lexus hybrid is in its first year of production. To my knowledge, the Lexus hybrid is the first production hybrid SUV.

The 4Runner's mileage is about average with other SUVs in it's class. How can you say that it is Rotten? Considering the rotten reliability of most FORD products in general, I am pretty sure that first year reliability of the FORD hybrid will be marginal at best.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Nice results indeed, Bcmalibu. Here's a press release from JD Power. I don't see a link offhand for all quality categories.

Steve, Host
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    The 4Runner is one of the ever-fewer SUVs that's body-on-frame with high ground clearance. A good choice for off-roading and towing. It's probably not very practical to compromise its good qualities by lowering it, and probably best to consider a different vehicle instead.

Toyota did the one effective thing (that I can think of) to mitigate the problem by adding stability control. In this forum somewhere there is a link to a story that mentions the difference between older and newer 4Runners in terms of potential rollovers. Body lean is also pretty mild on this vehicle, compared to the competition.

Rotten mileage? For mixed city/highway driving alone (my old commute) I got about 20 MPG. For my current commute of almost all city, often with several passengers I get abut 16 MPG. For a recent short highway trip at 65-70 MPH on level ground with 2 passengers I got about 22.5 MPG. All actual numbers; not from the trip computer, V6 engine.

I wish Ford good luck, but we've got to see their vehicle first. Anybody can make claims, but I want to see several thousand on real roads for a couple of years first. Also, the Escape is a compact, on-road SUV, and a different animal than a 4Runner. Most equivalent to a RAV4, I suppose.
    I agree with Alfster-- most SUV rollover accidents are the result of careless drivers who lack the necessary skills, intelligence, experience, and on-road maturity to avoid such calamities in the first place.

I drive several hundreds of miles per week, and I regularly see reckless SUV, minivan, and pickup truck drivers (not to mention many car drivers) engaging in the usual high-risk and dangerous driving behaviors. These would include tailgating; aggressive lane changes; road rage; a reckless sense of ENTITLEMENT and a disregard for rules and safety; talking on cell phones; reading while driving; eating a full course meal (including hot coffee) spread across their laps, center console, etc. while driving; reaching around into the backseat of their vehicle while driving; dancing and bobbing to blaring music; sitting in and blocking the passing lane; failure to use turn signals; failure to constantly be aware of local traffic patterns and oncoming road hazards; failure to always check mirrors and double check blind spots prior to changing lanes; driving with an overloaded roof pod making the vehicle even more top-heavy, not to mention the rack of bicycles hanging off the back of the vehicle, along with so much luggage and pillows stacked up in the rear cargo area as to completely obscure rear visibility (and let's not forget the "baby on board" signs and baby's window shades in the rear, side windows), etc., etc.

Intelligence is measured by a bell-curved IQ score, and the average IQ is 100. This means that nearly half of the population have an IQ of LESS THAN 100, and nowhere is this more evident than when driving on our nation's roads and highways.

I dread having to drive on our nation's highways during the summer vacation season. At these times, the freeways and turnpikes are typically clogged with overloaded SUVs and minivans, often being driven by oblivious morons who see nothing wrong with their driving behaviors. Again, examples here would include driving 55 mph in the passing lane while simultaneously eating, talking on the phone, reading, changing diapers; and then slowing to a crawl whenever they see a state trooper, or perhaps just to gawk at a dead deer along the side of the highway. And all the while, we patiently follow a safe distance behind these vehicles, watching the spoaked wheels of their lashed-on bicycles slowly and mindlessly rotating in the wind, until we can safely get around them, only to find more ahead.
  • erisareperisarep Member Posts: 16
    You can roll a tricycle if you drive it carelessly, as most of us have experienced. It is assumed that if you can afford a 4Runner, you are intelligent enough to drive it appropriately. Enough said.
    Just today in NYC, an Acura MDX (a car based SUV with a lower ground clearance BTW)was driving at high speed on city streets, whereupon the driver lost control and the MDX "tripped" on the curve. This caused the vehicle to rollover. This accident was caused by driver negligence and not a fault of vehicle design or malfunction. Any vehicle, regardless of design, can rollover given the appropriate circumstances.

Accidents by Rollover still make up a minority of SUV accidents. The 4Runner is well protected in most types of accidents with such safety features as traction control, VSC, seat belt pretensioners, up to 8 airbags, and others. It is my understanding that the pretensioners also do work in rollover accidents (at least for the latest gen 4Runner) and the side airbags will still provide protection. Rollovers still increase the liklihood of death or serious injury, but these instances are reduced by both lowering the chances of them occurring in the first place and by minimizing impact once a rollover occurs.

Being a physician, I realize that many vehicle accidents are due in part not to a driver's lack of driving ability, but to poor vision. There are many older persons out there that refuse to have frequent eye exams. Having poor vision causes many accidents as well.

In this country, obtaining a drivers' license is extremely easy. Unfortunately, too many of us allow our busy lives to intrude into our driving. What did people do before the advent of cellphones? What could be so important that needs to be discussed while driving? Even in states such as NY that have a "hands free" cell phone law, few people actually obey the law even though there is a $100 fine. There are still many people that STILL don't wear safety belts. Road-rage is an increasingly prevalent problem, especially in the north-east.

In Germany, on the autobahn, drivers can drive at any speed while in the passing lane. In addition, it is very hard and costly to obtain a driver's license there. Far too many drivers in this country drive in the passing lane, but don't actually actively pass anyone.

SUVs EPA mileage ratings have been improving steadily over the years. The current generation 4Runner V8, for example, gets 19mph on the highway, about the same as the last generation, but with a significantly greater horsepower displacement. Toyota has been aggressively pursuing alternative forms of fuel for their vehicles and the proof is in their commitment and in the products that they actually produce.

I drive nearly 100 miles/day and I dread driving on the highways, especially during rush hours, when most drivers are preoccupied on driving to work on time, drinking a coffee, having cellphone conversations, and performing other tasks, such as shaving, putting on makeup, and partaking of a breakfast sandwich.

Technology can't be the cure-all for everything.
  • aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    Contacted dealer to see if it can be lowered without voiding warranty. No answer yet, but they say they will check. If I can lower it 4 inches, I think I will buy one tomorrow -- is this a case of misery loves company? I hope I am doing the right thing.