Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    Alfster, you've picqued my curiosity about XM radio. I own an '03 4Runner with DVD/Nav., and am curious about how and where the XM Commander would best be placed. Thanks! KH
  • alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    I also have an '03 V8 4Runner Limited with the NAV system.

Sure. Please refer to message #463 in the 4Runner Accessories Forum. I have included a link to the one foto that I have of the display unit. I will be adding more photos in the future when I get a chance.

The XM service is a great one to have, particularly if you do alot of driving. Since there are many programming genres that aren't available on regular radio (ie. Comedy, CNBC, Instant Traffic and Weather in 21 cities, CNN, Bloomberg, etc.), you'll be able to experience much more and be able to catch up on the audio portion of certain news and sports programs. Good luck.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here's the link: Toyota 4Runner Accessories

tidester, host
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    I put XM in my 04 4Runner, and am really impressed by it. I used the Roady, and mounted it on a swivel mount on the face of the tilt out panel below the A/C panel. All the excess wires go inside that panel. The ant. I have on the dash with a bit of velcro, and it works fine. Also, since the 4Runner doesn't have a weather radio, I bought a hand held weather alert radio for long trips - nice to know if a t-storm or tornado is coming your way,
    Cheers
    Pat
    I thought about purchasing the Roady controller, but I was concerned about the exposed wiring and didn't think I would remove the detachable controller for home use. Now, after experiencing XM, I want to purcchase another controller for home use! :) The XM traffic and weather stations are great, but only if you are in one of the 21 represented locales. I have a weather alert/scanner radio for the treks out into the woods...
  • lildevil23lildevil23 Member Posts: 19
    THe weekend was a blast. I'am guilty of not having driven any vehicle at 55mph, but am following that routine for the break in period!!
    I love the handling of the truck though..very responsive to the throttle and didnt have any problems with the braking yet!!.
    The wind noises posted by folks early on in the forum is not much of a concern, i have the wind deflector which seemed to have taken care of that problem.
    While on I95 I did get some foul odor, but it turned out because i was passing the industrial area next to newark!! But the cabin filter was a 100% effective in getting rid of the odor!
    My only problem is the music system that comes standard with the V6 SE, toyota could have done better. The sound quality, although good, is not even as effective as that I have on my 92' Camry!! (most probably due to the space and construction)The XM is a thought at the back of my head as the primary driver 'my wife' does not really listen to a lot of radio..all her listening is from the burnt CD's..which seems to be playing good so far!!
    Need to install crash bars on the truck, will most probably put it up within a months time. I took into account the airbag issues, but i cannot have my titanium metal body scratched!!..
    No plans to do anything major with the truck till this month end, will probably end up taking a road trip to PA
    Thanks again for all the advise and feedback.
    And the t4r.org website should really be promoted as a true 4runner site
    I'm glad that you are enjoying your new 4Runner.

As far as the stereo goes, I guess that including a mediocre stereo as standard is Toyota's subtle way of "gently persuading" the purchaser to opt for the JBL. There is just too much volume for a standard stereo to fill with quality sound. Don't worry, there are lots of options that you can purchase from aftermarketers. Crutchfield is a great resource (free catalogs!), but their prices aren't always the best. They do provide great customer and technical service though. Otherwise, until then, enjoy the "burnt" CDs. Are they of the "kazaa" persuasion?? <wink,wink,nudge,nudge> :)
  • claymore1claymore1 Member Posts: 21
    Did I understand that 2003 4Runner V6 had some problems with the belt squeeling and some manifold noise (based on discussions I read here)? Have these problems been resolved or do they exist at all on newer models?
    Thanks
  • richinraleighrichinraleigh Member Posts: 18
    Just past 6 months since I bought my SR5 V-6. No problems..no rattles..a pleasure to drive so far. I have 7,000 miles on it. I did have the occasional sulfur odor problem but moving up to mid-grade gasoline seems to have solved that. Everyone that rides in it marvels at how quiet it is. Have gotten 22 mpg on the highway, about 18 mpg around town. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for an SUV.
    Kaaza, WinMX,Napster and all the free source platforms that helps spread the love and money around!!
    My wife says that she heard some kinda thunking sound(happened 2 times), she had the moonroof open. That should discount the deflector adjusting itslf to speed(as suggested by a previous post). I need to sit in the truck when that happens to atleast pinpoint out the source, if not a remedy to the sound.
    She also said that she felt the brake pedal vibrates in its place. I recall that post too..need to do some back-reading.
    I will be taking the truck to look at the option of getting the Westin chrome push & brush guards this weekend. Any suggestions/opinions?
    More money to make the 4Runner payments :)

I haven't throught of any front brush guard yet, but I am more likely inclined to purchase the Westin black guard (I am not a fan of chrome, unless it's on a classic car). I'm not in a rush though and am waiting to see if any other manufacturers will make guards in the near future. Currently, the only rear protection I have for my 4Runner is a GoRhino Step hitch in black. It is pretty functional and sturdy.
    In my experience (and according to my dealer's outstanding technicians, some of whom own '03 or '04 4Runners), the occasional, subtle brake pedal vibrations and associated soft "pump-like" noises are a normal part of the vehicle's microprocessor controlled "adaptive learning" mode, in which the vehicle is slowly learning to tailor the performance of various systems to the driver's average driving habits.

I'm the sole and original owner of an '03 V8, AWD 4Runner Limited, which currently has over 16,000 miles on the odometer. I can tell you from my own experience that these occasional soft vibrations and associated soft "pump-like" noises from the brake system should progressively lessened during the first ~7500 miles. Indeed, at this time I can't well recall the last time I really noticed these brake pedal sensations, so subtle have they become. In short, it seems to be a normal aspect of the vehicle's behavior particularly during the first 5000-10,000 miles, and unless you see brake system warning lights come on and remain on during normal operation, you're probably well advised to not worry about it.

That said, there have been a couple of owners of '03 4Runners at this forum who've previously reported that having their vehicles' brake master cylinder replaced promptly eliminated this occasional brake pedal vibration and pump-like noise. I'd previously discussed this idea with my dealer's technicians, and they opined that this was probably quite unneccessary in most cases. They said that this occasional brake pedal vibration and soft noise would largely dissipate with time, and in the case of my 4Runner, they were right on the money.

You mentioned an occasional "thunking" noise, and here I would mention my observation that whenever the vehicle's engine is started while the A.C. (air conditioning)is set to ON, the vehicle will almost always emit a noticeable "thunking" sound and vibration almost immediately after the ignition ignites the engine, and this is due to the AC compressor rather abruptly "kicking in" and imposing a sudden load on the engine. On the other hand, if you set the AC controls so that the AC compressor will be OFF at engine start-up (i.e., switch the HVAC controls out of AUTO mode, and make sure the AC isn't set to "on" or defrost mode) you should not feel or hear this "thunk" when you start the engine. But once you've done this and the vehicle is still parked, now turn on the AC compressor and what do you then immediately feel and hear-- a "thunking" sound, perhaps? Yes. This is just the sound of the load from the compressor suddenly being added to the engine at idle or at lower RPMs. Not sure if this is what your wife is hearing, but it's just a thought.
  • cobaltcobalt Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what changes are instore for the 2005 model year 4Runner?

Any idea when it will be released?

What do you wish will be included?
    The truck was in motion on the highway and not parked; neither was the AC on as the wife had the moonroof open. If it werent for that and had she switched on the AC (<2000 RPM), probably the thunking would have occurred due to the additional load. But i'll keep you posted

As for the vibration sounds..logical but kinda disturbing. Does the 4 runner have preset driver preferences on any of its models?? If yes, then the vibration will last for a longer time as the vehicle would need to adapt to multiple drivers.
  • laurencedflaurencedf Member Posts: 4
    I just bought the Limited 4Runner, 4WD, V6. There is NO option that has NOT been added to the vehicle. It has everything. I bought it used with 9971 miles on it. A guy had turned it in after family problems. I got it for $34,495. Was this a good deal? (Please tell me yes!) First time I've financed a car.
    Color is black -- not my first choice but I happily accepted the compromise.
  • laurencedflaurencedf Member Posts: 4
    I forgot -- it is a 2004.
  • stove1stove1 Member Posts: 53
    Uh... I don't think so. Every year end Toyota comes out with $3000 rebate on those 4runners. Last December I shopped for my 4 runner Dealers were discount $7000 from list on leftovers. Lots of them are black and I see them still around in February.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Only if you got the V8. Either way, enjoy it.
  • genghisgenghis Member Posts: 2
    I hope you are not living in Florida, black is very hot in the summer time...enjoy your 4runner
  • stoesstoes Member Posts: 9
    You will drive yourself nuts looking backwards wondering if you got a good deal. You will always find someone that got a better deal than you.

Enjoy your new car.
  • biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    Amen to that! Enjoy your new truck.
    Think of the bright side, the 4Runner is already broken in for you :) Enjoy the drive.
  • loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
    I heard about a recall on the v6. The crank shaft pulleys. Some were improperly machined and can cause damage to the front oil seal. I called my service department, they said they heard about it, but do not have all the details yet. Service said Toyota should be sending out letters soon. LSC(limited service campaign) 40c are what they are tracking it as. I hope it is only a limtited # of 4-runners. Consumer reports will have another field day with this one. Got this information from another 4-runner site, they have pictures of some of the letters already sent by Toyota. Again, I confirmed it with my service department also.
  • 4wlow_sport_v84wlow_sport_v8 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Loudog2, what 4-runner board did you get that information from? Sounds like the v6 is going to have ongoing problems. But with any new engine design there are problems. With simulations and in-house testing there are still bugs to be found. The real testing is in the first two years of testing by the public.
  • rayh78rayh78 Member Posts: 6
    even with the JBL upgrade you still dont have a mediocre stereo if you compare it to what comes in most new cars. Should we take a poll. Who has actually heard a stereo in a new auto that sounds worse. It is not terrible but every one I have heard in a few cheaper autos sounds better.
  • rkymtnhghrkymtnhgh Member Posts: 14
    Can anyone in the Denver metro area recommend a dealer with a great service department? I am closest to Elway Toyota- any opinions on them? Thanks.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    I bought my 4Runner from John Elway and have only had 3 opportuinties for service. One was a squeaky belt and the other two were oil changes. I found the service visits to be as I expected, which was good. So far, I would recommend them for service. Their sales process was worse than average. I haven't tried any other Toyota dealers in Denver.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    Check out a Honda Odyssey for a POS stereo. My wife has an 03 Nissan Altima. She admits my JBL sounds better. A lot depends on how you set it up and what you listen to. I always thought War's Low Rider was an excellent test. My JBL is one of the best I've heard in a vehicle reproduce it.
    Wagner's "Ride of the Valkrie" and Pink Floyd's "Money" are also great for testing stereos.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    If I play "Ride of the Valkrie" I drive 10 MPH faster.
    LOL. Only 10mph faster? Then stick to Pink Floyd "Money." You might drive slower, but think of all that gasoline you'll save :)
  • airburairbur Member Posts: 31
    I'm in the process of buying a new 4Runner from Elway on Arap. in Denver and they've been very cordial and accomodating. A friend of mine uses them for service on his 2003 Celica and has no complaints. Good luck.
  • glb5glb5 Member Posts: 39
    Im in the process of lubing the drive shafts on my 04 runner v8. I have located the grease zerts for the sliders on both the front and the rear drive shafts as well as the four universal joints, but im unable to locate the double cardin joint the book says requires lubing.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • oldnavycdroldnavycdr Member Posts: 17
    I have to agree with others who are disappointed in the JBL premium sound system. I've tried a lot of different settings and the best I get is mediocre. Perhaps it is the volume of the vehicle or speaker placement but the only thing this set up is good for is books on CD. I would appreciate some suggested setting from those of you who are satisfied.
    Javascript runtime error--SyntaxError: unterminated parenthetical -- see logJsErrors for a stack trace
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did you try to post something or does the Javascript error that I'm seeing as your post mean something?

Steve, Host
    Looks like my post got lost.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Must have been a precursor to the server crash early this morning. Most odd.

KarenS "Ask the Town Hall Hosts" May 21, 2004 2:22pm

Apologies!

Steve, Host
  • sonny_k9sonny_k9 Member Posts: 15
    I am looking to buy a SR5 Sport but can't decide if I should get a V6 or a V8. I am leasing the truck for 4 years and over that period the fuel cost (about 60,000 miles) difference between the two engines might be something to consider. SInce its a lease the cost difference upfront doesn't bother me as much. Any advice? Oh and I will be towing a boat which weighs about 4000lbs. But its mostly flat terrain that I will be towing so do you think V6 is a good compromise between fuel economy and towing capacity? THanks
    I would suggest the V8, it's a magnificent engine with a long and respected history of performance and reliability.
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    sonny_k9, I'd suggest searching and reviewing the many posts that already cover this in this discussion. If you tow a lot, you should probably buy the V8. I'll do some towing but don't expect to tow a lot and so I drove both versions. I found I preferred the V6, regardless of price. My rationale is in my previous posts, but it's meaning to you will depend on a number of factors unique to your situation.
    If your primary concern is to save a few dollars on gasoline, the V6 does get slightly better fuel economy, but the V8 engine has been in production for many years with proven reliability in other Toyota/Lexus products. Either engine should meet your towing needs.

Two reasons the V6 gets slightly better mileage are that it's engine is about 160lbs lighter and the V6 powered 4Runner has part time 4wd, meaning that most of the time, it is a rear wheel drive vehicle. The V8 is a cast iron engine that runs in full time 4wd.
  • floeva09floeva09 Member Posts: 20
    I am now in the process of buying a SR5, I will purchase from Stevinson Toyota in Denver, however I had a wonderful searching process with John Elway Toyota. They were excellent,what it came down too for me was location. Stevinson Toyota West is really close to my home and John Elways was a journey by the time I fought the Denver traffic.I could have bought from Elway and been just as happy, location, location is key for me. If Elway service department is anyting like the sales department than you will be in good shape. Stevinson sales/rep was ok she had a little attitude so did I....hehehe..... I just like the sales manager better at John Elway. Good-luck
  • 69mach169mach1 Member Posts: 60
    I first took my 2003 Sport to Stevenson, they dismissed my complaints as "normal", so I took it to Burt on Broadway. I was completely satisfied with their service and recommend them to anyone.

The JBL system is mediocre at best, but I did get the dealer (Burt) to replace the amplifier and it's much better now. I set the fade controls to about R4 to R5 to get a more ambient sound in the cabin. If you set the fade a zero, the sound seems to come from the center speaker. hope that helps.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I'd definately get the V8. More low-end torque.
  • tartallinitartallini Member Posts: 9
    I've got an SR5 V8 and the engine is quiet, smooth and strong. I get about 17.5 MPG on the average with mixed highway and in town driving. I thought I wanted a V6, but when I found a steal of a deal with a V8 I bought it. I'm happy that things worked out this way, and would recommend the V8.
  • jaesee75edmundjaesee75edmund Member Posts: 39
    get the v8. you'd have no problems towing that weight. the listed mileage for both engines are so close that it really wouldn't matter too much. i don't mind paying $5 a week extra to fill up for the v8. plus, when towing, the v8 just might be MORE economical than the v6 since it has more low end torque.
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    Was looking around the internet and ran across this very interesting link for HiLux Surf (Japan's name for its 4Runner). If this works, hit the link, then click on the ninth box down on the left, just above the separator line. This should show a listing of accessories available in Japan. Any thoughts on how to acquire these?

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/hiluxsurf/menu- /concept.html
  • 69mach169mach1 Member Posts: 60
    I need to have the headliner removed to fix some hail dings on the roof. Is it difficult to remove and reinstall the headliner, anybody had an experiences? If so, what was the result?
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    I would imagine we may see the same stuff in North America in a year or two, as 4Runner will start losing ground to new midsize SUVs, especially Hummer H3, Pathfinder and Jeep GC