Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• tartallinitartallini Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the link to the Japanese accessories for the Surf. VERY nice stuff and worth daydreaming about!
  • toyboxxtoyboxx Member Posts: 150
    You can get any of those accessories listed on that site by contacting Jason burtman at burtmanindustries.com. He has imported many of those accessories on that site for me.
  • alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    thank you for providing the link!
  • ttenragttenrag Member Posts: 38
    I bought a 2004 toyota 4runner, and I am wondering if anyone knows if i can install power seats in the front.
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    I've narrowed it down to the Sport model [love the XRES], but I can't decide on the engine setup.

I know most all the pros & cons of each, just can't seem to come up with something to get me off the fence.

Any help.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    If you frequently tow or do serious off-roading, and/or money is not an issue - go with V8. If not, go with V6
    Well I don't tow anything (yet), and no serious off-roading. Money is sometimes an issue. Just seems like most models come with more options than I need/want ie. sunroof.

Is the V8 going to have better re-sale value?

The 1-2 MPG difference between the V6 & V8 seems pretty trival.

And I can't really decide if the AWD in the V8 is an advantage or disadvantage compared to the V6.

I guess I looking for some good reasons that would lean me one way or the other.
  • mgabel2mgabel2 Member Posts: 37
    Oh, just get the V8. [I did.]
  • dancdanc Member Posts: 1
    I just check out a 1996 V6 4Runner Limited that I was interested in buying. Was interested to know what everyone thought about whether it's a good purchase for 8K considering:
    1) when I looked under the hood I noticed the dipstick looked essentially DRY and . . .
    2) the inside trim was trashed, (speedometer not working, leather torn, digital clock missing and door panel plastic was broken.)

The outside body still looks preety good and it drives well . . . but is it worth the 8K??
  • jaesee75edmundjaesee75edmund Member Posts: 39
    money shouldn't really be an issue for you if you're thinking about buying a $30,000 vehicle. the 1-2 mpg diff IS trival, again, if you're buying a $30 grand vehicle. if you want to make yourself feel better about choosing the v8, skip 1 beer at the bar per week. that should just about cover the difference. get the v8, you'll be happy.
    OK, so I go with the V8. Can someone describe or direct me to how the AWD works on the V8, and is it the best 4x4 setup for the 4Runner?

I'm assuming that the AWD is, not like the Subie full 4WD? Right / Wrong.

THX.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check in Toyota 4WD systems explained too.

Steve, Host
    If money is an issue, and you are smoker (esp. in the NY area), just give up smoking! With current prices of over $7/pack, you can pay for the V8 nicely equipped a little bit easier :)
  • djod49djod49 Member Posts: 12
    Hi, I've got a 99 Sr5 V6 w/79000k on it and am seriously thinking about getting a 4th Gen SR5. I special ordered the 99 and previously a 95 SR5 as well. As in the past the dealer ( in R.I.) told me 4-6 months for it to show up. My question is does anyone know the cutoff date that would make the special order an 05 vs. an 04 and when do the new brochures come out? The dealer tells me that the factory is mum on any details of the 05's until the last minute (Sept. or Oct?) in order to sell the 04's. I would prefer an 05 but don't know if there are any price hikes on the horizon.
  • goldenskygoldensky Member Posts: 9
    Previous experiences with Elway in Denver. Since my husband is a fan, we've gone to them twice but both times, we have been so put off by them we purchased elsewhere. In less then a year we purchased a 4Runner Ltd from Burt Toyota and then a Dodge Neon for our son from Lithia Dodge. Both times went to Elway first as they are closer but questions asked via the internet were poorly responded to and often automated. When we gave up and went to the dealer in person, weren't that great either. I would say both times, the bad impression began with the poor internet response and I would say both times, the dealer we ended up buying from was the result of excellent internet response. Go figure. I will also say we lived in Reno, NV years ago and Reno Toyota was so good that over many years, we purchased five Toyotas from them. Still think well of them!
  • aroutharouth Member Posts: 45
    I have a Sport and the one thing that I wish I had with it is a power drivers seat. I asked if it was possible to special order one(my 4runner was a special order to get side curtain airbags) but its not possible. I also asked if it were possible to have one installed aftermarket. Unfortunately, it would cost a lot, almost $1000. I decided it wasn't worth it, so I just live with the manuel drivers seat. Its kinda a pain, but everything else about the 4runner is so great it doesn't matter.
  • 4rnr4rnr Member Posts: 25
    Toyota has just released a TSB for the rotten egg smell in '03/04 4 Runners. The bulletin # EG015-04 is identical to the TSB issued for the GX 470. From what I've read on a Lexus forum the fix WORKS!!! The ECM is recalibrated for fuel delivery and the cat. converter is replaced the whole job takes about 4 hrs.. At the moment you must look up the Gx 470(on the NHTSA website) for the TSB. The bulletin number is #004-04.
  • hlronhlron Member Posts: 113
    Danc, I am far from an expert in 4Runners or any other vehicle, however since I have not noticed a response to your post, I'll offer my input (presuming you have not yet made a decision): I don't think my answer may be one you are looking for, but whether it is worth it or not depends on if you want it or not for that price. As for me - my opinion only - those things you noted in your post would make me think that perhaps this vehicle has not been cared for as much as others, and would make me cautious on buying it at any price. The reason is that the upfront cost of buying it may be nothing compared to potential repair bills from lack of oil or other reasons, and other costs to get the truck up to good condition. Just my thoughts. Good luck either way.
  • lukeglukeg Member Posts: 32
    where on NHTSA web site can you find the bulletin you are talking about? I cannot find it. What is NHTSA Item Number?

Thanks

Luke
  • 4rnr4rnr Member Posts: 25
    At the moment you must look up the TSB's that are listed for the 2003 Lexus GX 470 on the NHTSA website where you will see the "Odor" TSB(again the Service Bulletin # is 004-04 and the NHTSA Item Number is 10007092). I found the TSB for the 4 Runner on a Toyota only BB. I don't think it will be long before this TSB for the 4 Runner is added to the NHTSA site.
  • biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    Judging from the responses on another website it seems, so far, that the recall notice (crankshaft pulley and crankshaft seal replacement) of 2004 V6 4Runners applies to those built before 10/03. Will anyone with a build date after 10/03 and have received a recall notice please respond? My build date is 01/04 and to date I have not received a recall notice.
    Thanks,
  • lukeglukeg Member Posts: 32
    Is the recal for V6 only or also for the V8? I have V8 built in 9/03 and I didn't get any letters.
    Yes, it's just for the V6. It may be for all 2004 V6's, regardless of build date. The recall was issued on 4/26/04, so it's at least for those built before that date, I would assume.
  • paulyjsobpaulyjsob Member Posts: 48
    My friend bought a 2004 4wd SR5 V6 4runner and is about to buy a new 21' boat that weight 4000 lbs dry w/o trailer. The dealer told him that his V6 4runner can tow 6700 lbs because it has a new hitch receiver. Everywhere I read it says the V6 can tow a maximum of 5000 lbs and the V8 7300 lbs. Who is right? What can the V6 tow? Thanks!
    The owners manual states that the maximum towing capacity for the V6 is 5000 lbs. for either weight carrying or weight distributing hitch.
  • paulyjsobpaulyjsob Member Posts: 48
    So the dealer fed him a bunch of BS...
    What would you expect from a dealer. They are, for the most, a cutthroat bunch. I rely more on these forums to get the straight dope. A good dealer seems to be one that is the least worse of the the others. Read the book by Remar Sutton on buying your next car. It's really and eye-opener and I found it to be very true (and most useful) when I searched for a new car at several dealers and then negotiated for my new 2004 Toyota 4Runner.
    It is sounding like the V8 would be the safer route to go as far as proven engine reliability goes.

Would most everyone agree??
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    jgriff, by all accounts the V8 is a proven reliable engine. The reliability discussions here (you might search previous posts) generally focus on engine+transmission reliability, since those are the two biggest, most complex, most-expensive-to-repair mechanical lumps in the vehicle.

It seems to be an issue of "pick your risk" to me. The V8 is a proven engine paired with a brand-new transmission. The V6 is a brand-new engine paired with a proven transmission. Transmission experts have posted here and elsewhere that modern automatic transmissions are as complex and likely to need repair as are engines. That's been my experience too, and a major reason why I went with a company known to get reliability right from the start.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    I owned a previous '02, 4WD Explorer whose transmission developed permanent shifting problems very soon after I naively allowed the Ford dealer to "flush" the tranny (for $160.00) when the truck was due for its first transmission fluid change. Without first disclosing this experience, I recently asked my Toyota dealer's service manager if they "flush" transmissions when they change the tranny fluid. Not surprisingly, he told me that they simply drain the fluid and replace it; and that these so-called flushing services are a good way to damage a perfectly good transmission. Just thought I'd pass along this advice.
  • my2centsmy2cents Member Posts: 20
    For owners of 2003-2004 4Runners that stink there has now been a TSB issued to help relieve the problem. Effective May 27,2004 this TSB includes flashing your Electronic Control Module (ECM) with a new set of instructions and the replacement of the catalytic converter assembly. This TSB is identified as “EG015-04” and is applicable to V6 engines only with VIN numbers that are earlier than the following numbers: (2WD) JTEZU##R#40026890, (4WD) JTEZU##R#40032900, (2WD) JTEZU##R#480115332, and (4WD) JTEZU##R#480119048. Remember that this coverage is provided if you have a complaint. Toyota is not anticipated to send you a notice of a recall. A recall for V6 engines is also coming on potential oil leaks stemming from an error in fabrication of the crankshaft pulley housing. Effected customers should receive a recall in the mail. Unfortunately I don’t have the numbers for this recall yet but your dealer should already be aware of this work and the effected vehicles.
  • socal007socal007 Member Posts: 23
    Information available elsewhere is indicating the V8 will have VVTi in 2005, which ups hp(282@4800rpm) & tq(325).
    4Runner gets it ??
    Any comments
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    I know those numbers have been thrown around the Sequoia board for the Sequoia and Tundra but no mention of the 4Runner. They may want to separate them or it could be optional in the runner. Just speculation of course.
  • sonny_k9sonny_k9 Member Posts: 15
    Dealers here in DC are discounting 4runners. I found one dealer listing SE's 5k under MSRP (2k under invoice). Now thats a sweat deal. A fully loaded SE for 29k (MSRP $34k and invoice $31k).

Does it make sense to wait for the 2005, when do they come to dealers anyway?
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    The 2005 is still a ways off. They usually show up in September, just a trickle and full swing in October.

That is a good deal on a 04, remember 2004 is not half way done, I mean it is not like November. I don't know what new items the 2005 has, but I would say a good rule of thumb is, if you keep the SUV 2 or 3 years, get the 2005 and if you keep it 4 years or longer a 1 year older model doesn't matter that much.

I guess another question is "should you wait longer for a better deal?" Still that deal seems pretty good, I would be tempted.
  • nick4597nick4597 Member Posts: 50
    Any recommendations for a good seat cushion or a way to pad the otherwise rock hard seats found in my 03 SR5. I have a bad leg (femur break) and driving my much-loved 4runner can be very painful at times. Thanks!
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Huh? My brother's old Recaro seat was firm. My wife's C240 seats are almost firm. My 2003 4Runner seats are soft and wimpy.

You might try sheepskin covers. Cheaper than replacing the whole seat.
  • yomolsyomols Member Posts: 24
    I live in the Denver Co. area and have called Pep Boys and other parts stores looking for an air filter. Other than the Toyota dealer has anyone had any luck finding one? Thanks for the help.
    Why go aftermarket? You can get Toyota original air filter for the same if not cheaper than most aftermarket by shopping at partznet.com. They are a Toyota dealer with amazing prices on OEM stuff.

http://www.partznet.com/
  • yomolsyomols Member Posts: 24
    Just ordered the filter from partznet. Obviously, I didn't know about them. Thanks again.
  • socal007socal007 Member Posts: 23
    People over at Tundra Solutions are referring to a 5-speed auto in the V-6, and the VVTi in the V-8 for 05'. Two new colors also, although they don't mention what they are.
    Anyone know if these will apply to the 4Runner ??
    Let's hope so.
  • vancwavancwa Member Posts: 5
    I purchased my '04 Sport a month ago and have put just over 1,000 miles on it. I couldn't say more about how pleased I am with my purchase. No rattles, no odors and reasonable gas mileage @ 20mpg. Off and on-road it handles just great. No problem slogging thru the mud in Cascade Mountains and handled the beach sand on the Oregon Coast just fine. Smooth, quiet and comfortable on the highway and in the city. What more could you ask for.

How great it is to put all my fly fishing gear in and just head to mountains without worry of where I am headed.

If I was going to gripe about anything it would be the stereo system. I had a better one in my 1986 Celica.

I put over 200,000 on my 1980 SR5 pick-up and look forward to doing the same with my new 4Runner.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just trilled.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    Hello and welcome to the club! Glad to hear you're so enjoying your new 4Runner Sport. I own an '03, V8 Limited with DVD/Nav. module and premium sound system, which I think sounds very good.

I've driven several "loaner" '03 and '04 4Runners while my truck has been in for service, and I too have noticed that the audio sound quality of the lower tier systems can be lacking.

Based on my past experience with upgrading the audio in a 2002 Explorer, if you decide to upgrade your 4Runner's audio system at some point, my suggestion would be to FIRST try replacing the front door speakers with a brand such as Rockford-Fosgate if you want more high- and mid-frequency detail; or perhaps Eclipse speakers if you want a more rounded and softer sound. For the rear door speakers (which should really only be expected to provide a bit of rearward ambient sound, via the fader control), I would suggest a brand such as Eclipse.

If replacing the door speakers doesn't result in a significant improvement in sound quality, you might try adding a ~40-80 watt power amp such as those made by Precision Power http://www.precisionpower.com/ , connected to the existing "head" unit (radio, CD, cassette, etc.) in your truck. However, with the newer 4Runners, you'll have to be creative about where you would install/hide the power amp.
  • jkdjkd Member Posts: 3
    Hello friends,

May I ask for your help in deciding which is the overall preferred engine, the V6 or the V8. I'm not towing anything and it's day-to-day driving. Coming from the GMC Typhoon, I'm concerned about overall performance....
    From what I have read and seen from people who tested them against each other their performance is very, very close. You may have more room to modify the V8 to be a better performer though.

The V8 is always in 4wd though so that may be something to consider also, whereas the V6 can be selected to be in 2wd.
    If you are interested more in adding to performance, at the present time, a supercharger is available only for the V8, provinding an increase of over 100hp and lbft torque.

The V8 is about 0.5sec faster to 0-60mph (7.5 vs. 8.0 sec approx). Otherwise, they are pretty similar performance-wise.

The V8 has proven reliability with a smooth shifting 5 speed automatic transmission.
  • terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    Actually they are about dead even in 1/4 mile times and the V6 is a bit faster.

'04 sr5 v6 4x4 --' 04 SE V8 AWD

2.349 ---- 60ft ---- 2.271
    6.605 ---- 330ft ---- 6.499
    10.140 ---- 1/8 mile ET ---- 10.051
    70.03 ---- 1/8 MPH ---- 68.82
    15.832 ---- 1/4 ET ---- 15.836
    86.48 ---- 1/4 mph ---- 85.27

The V8 Supercharger is on indefinte hold from TRD because of some issues. The V6 will have the supercharger coming out with the Tacoma X-Runner (same 4.0L V6 as the 4Runner)

The V6 is reliable and proven reliability of the rock solid 4spd tranny
    If I'm reading that correctly the V6 is faster by 4 thousandths of a second? That is statistacally dead even and not even worth saying the V6 is faster. No matter where that test was done there are plenty of variables. So again they are dead even and you can't even say one is faster than the other with those numbers. That is closer than close.
  • terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    The very first sentence? Where I say "actually they are about dead even"?

toyboxx wrote:
    "If I'm reading that correctly the V6 is faster by 4 thousandths of a second? That is statistacally dead even and not even worth saying the V6 is faster. No matter where that test was done there are plenty of variables. So again they are dead even and you can't even say one is faster than the other with those numbers. That is closer than close. "
  • 3toyboy3toyboy Member Posts: 30
    "The V8 is always in 4wd though so that may be something to consider also, whereas the V6 can be selected to be in 2wd." - TOYBOXX

...true...tho' it sounds like jkd may not be interested in 4wd

jkd - not to mislead you, 2wd 4Rnrs come in either flavor, (V8/V6). I like the "push" (torque) of the 8 over the 6, either way it is a great truck.