Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Terrain

Comments

• hoppeshoppes Member Posts: 4
    Was told by the GM mechanic that the tapping was the high pressure fuel pump. However, I still have a noise which sounds like bad shocks coming from the under carriage. Seems to be worse at low speeds. Will be taking the car in for an oil change and will have the mechanics look again. Since I am a woman, they just patronize me. Had the car in once before for this. Told me it was the suspension system. Don't think so. This is the noisiest car I have ever driven.
  • daman92daman92 Member Posts: 7
    The 2010 Terrain benefits from the same updates as this year's redesigned Equinox. Under the hood is a torquey base four-cylinder that offers best-in-class fuel economy and competitive acceleration. There's also an available direct-injected 3.0-liter V6 that's similarly competitive in terms of fuel economy and power. Inside, the Terrain boasts a snazzy center stack and attractive control layout that make its rivals' cabins seem dull and unimaginative by comparison. An abundance of acoustic insulation and an innovative noise-canceling system also make the Terrain one of the quietest compact crossovers around.

The Terrain isn't quite fault-free. Its maximum cargo capacity, for instance, isn't as generous as that of some competing models. But otherwise it's pretty hard to find fault with GMC's new SUV. The 2010 GMC Terrain offers just about everything that shoppers in this segment are looking for, and it's one you'll definitely want to cross-shop along with established models like the Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, Mitsubishi Outlander, Nissan Rogue and Toyota RAV4.

For Pricing information, see our Pricing page.

Body Styles, Trim Levels, and Options
    The 2010 GMC Terrain is a midsize crossover SUV available in four trim levels: SLE-1, SLE-2, SLT-1 and SLT-2. Standard equipment for the SLE-1 includes 17-inch alloy wheels, heated side mirrors, a trip computer, cruise control, air-conditioning, full power accessories, power front seat height and lumbar adjustments, a sliding and reclining backseat, a tilt-and-telescoping steering column, a back-up camera integrated into the rearview mirror, OnStar and a six-speaker CD stereo with satellite radio and an auxiliary audio jack. The SLE-2 adds roof rails, 18-inch alloy wheels on V6 models, an eight-way power driver seat, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, Bluetooth, automatic climate control and an eight-speaker Pioneer sound system.

The SLT-1 has the aforementioned plus 18-inch alloy wheels, remote engine start, leather upholstery and heated front seats. The SLT-2 ups the ante with chrome exterior trim details, a unique grille, driver memory functions, a sunroof, a power liftgate and rear parking sensors. Additional options, depending on the trim level, include a hard-drive-based navigation system (with larger rearview camera display and 40GB of music storage) and a rear-seat entertainment system. Some of the extra features found on the upper trims can also be added to the lower trims as options.

For more Style information, see our Compare Styles page.

Powertrains and Performance
    Every GMC Terrain comes standard with a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine producing 182 horsepower and 172 pound-feet of torque. Optional on all but the SLE-1 is a 3.0-liter V6 good for 264 hp and 222 lb-ft of torque. Both engines come standard with a six-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel-drive; all-wheel drive is optional across the board.

Fuel economy is impressive. A four-cylinder Terrain with front-wheel drive achieves an EPA-estimated 22 mpg city/32 mpg highway and 26 mpg combined. All-wheel drive lowers these estimates to 20/29/23 mpg. A Terrain V6 with front-wheel drive gets 17 mpg city/25 mpg highway and 20 mpg combined, with all-wheel-drive versions dropping only incrementally to 17/24/20. The maximum tow rating when properly equipped is 3,500 pounds with the V6.

For more Performance Data, see our Specifications page.

Safety
    The 2010 GMC Terrain comes standard with antilock disc brakes, stability control, front seat side airbags, side curtain airbags and OnStar. Rear parking sensors are optional.

For more Safety information, see our Safety page.

Interior Design and Special Features
    The GMC Terrain's cabin is remarkably stylish, particularly by the standards of this typically utilitarian segment. The slick-looking dashboard design is reminiscent of the related Cadillac SRX, and the Terrain's high-tech navigation and entertainment options only heighten its appeal.

In terms of accommodations, the Terrain's backseat is roomy for this class and conveniently reclines and slides fore and aft (to allow easier access to child seats or to expand cargo capacity). Cargo space behind the backseat is 31.4 cubic feet, and that figure grows to 63.7 cubic feet with the rear seats folded. That's about 6 cubes shy of the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4, but still bigger than smaller crossovers like the Ford Escape and Nissan Rogue.

For more Interior Features information, see our Specifications page.

Driving Impressions
    The 2010 GMC Terrain accelerates well with the new four-cylinder engine, and its 32-mpg highway rating with this engine is most impressive. This engine should satisfy most folks, but for those wanting more there's the optional V6. The optional mill is a bit short on low-end torque relative to the RAV4's standard-setting V6, but otherwise it's one of the strongest engine choices you'll find in this segment. On the move, the new Terrain is impressively quiet, and the ride is comfortable. However, we'd suggest sticking with the smallest possible wheels, as the larger ones increase impact harshness. Handling capabilities are nothing special, but most drivers should be satisfied by the vehicle's all-around competence.
  • lostagainlostagain Member Posts: 9
    Gave up on locating a 2010 or 2011 Terrain. Purchased a Honda 2010 CR-V EX-L new, NAVI Leather seats---loaded with features I am still discovering. Love it. :)
  • roguelemonownrroguelemonownr Member Posts: 19
    I see that you are getting 20-21 MPG with your Terrain V6 AWD. My wife & I bought an SLT-2 V6 AWD about 2 weeks ago (11-30-10). Topping off the tank twice it appears that we are only getting 12 MPG. Have contacted the dealer & am taking it to be diagnosed in a couple of days. Did you get the 20-21 MPG immediately? They are telling me to not be concerned b/c the vehicle must be "broken-in". I can't see that the MPG will increase that much. REALLY DISAPPOINTED WITH OUR PURCHASE. Would you be concerned if you were only getting 12 MPG?
  • cmccullcmccull Member Posts: 33
    I bought my SLT-2 Terrain V6 AWD used. It had 4,000 miles on it when I got it. I posted that right after I got it. I have put 12,000 miles on it I am averaging about 19.5 - 20 MPG. I drive about 50-50, City- Highway. I would be very concerned if I only got 12 MPG. Maybe it does need to be broken in.
  • griswaldgriswald Member Posts: 33
    edited December 2010
    I'm getting about 25, on mostly (80 - 90 %) county roads & hyper-mileing. I can see maybe getting 12 mpg though with heavy foot driving because V6 mpg seems very sensitive to driving style.
    On a recent trip of 2,265 miles from St. Louis, MO to Padre Island, Texas and back, I averaged 21.7 MPG with the V-6 AWD. This trip included staying in towns and doing some city driving.
    We traded in 2008 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD on this vehicle. My wife would average around 16 MPG. With this vehicle she is getting about 12 MPG. I topped off & reset and am Very fuel conservative and got 14 MPG on a couple in town trips and highway trip...around 50/50 split h/c. Thanks for the info!!!!
    I just took another trip with my V6 AWD Terrain. This one was 1770 miles and I averaged 22.3 MPG. I don't consider this great but acceptable.
  • dallasterraindallasterrain Member Posts: 11
    My wife and I have the V-4. We travel from Dallas to Houston and back occassionally and have never gotten above 26 mpg according to the Terrains tripometer. Now we move along with traffic which is between 75 and 85 most of the way! I have driven slower for most of the trip just to see if the gas mileage would improve but it doesn't much. Even at a steady 70 or so with the cruise on it just won't get much better than 26 mpg. Not bad but a far cry from the advertised 32 mpg.

Also, I have posted before that the seats are just plain uncomfortable. We have the base model with clothe. They recline back and down like an adirondak chair and have relatively high bolsters. I find them difficult to get comfortable in and they are a little difficult to get out of. Anyone else notice this?
  • rocketbobrocketbob Member Posts: 23
    AS Canadians are too embarrassed to tell how much more we have to pay for new cars ,I thought I would post here.

I picked up my 6 cylinder Terrain SLT-2. Mocha Steel and
    Titanium interior in on Tues.
    Remember in Canada, it is nearly impossible to get Invoice Prices without
    paying $35 to a private company. Fortunately, I secured
    a copy from a dealer who lost his GM franchise.

My trade in was a 2003 Saturn Vue with 90,000 klicks
    (54,000miles). Black Book value, $4-6,000. Dealer
    didn't want the car and offered $2500. I whined and got it
    up to $3000. GM (bless their hearts) had given me a
    Saturn loyalty coupon for $1500 if I traded the Vue in for a
    new GM product so I guess I got the low end of Black Book.

The MSRP was 38,000$ Canadian (comparable US price
    in New York State, about $31,900 US) This is why Canadians don't talk about how much they pay for cars.
    Invoice was $34,824 vs $30,856 in US. Huge markup difference.

As I negotiated, I show the saleswomen the invoice price
    she brought in the sales manager, he asked what I thought a fair profit on a $40k car, I said $1000 was plenty and he said sold. I asked about the holdback and
    he said since GM reorganized, Canadian dealers no
    longer get holdbacks. I couldn't refute this but I did
    calculate that Canadian dealers got 9.1% markup over
    invoice while US dealers even with a 3% holdback, only
    got a 6.2% markup. So could be true.

So the deal was as follows:

MSRP $38000
    Admin $499
    Security registration $296
    Tire Recycle Tax $29
    Plate registration $20
    Fed and Provincial Sales tax (13% Ouch!) $4244

Total Price $43,088

Less:

Dealer discount $2176
    GM Holiday Bonus $1000
    Saturn Loyalty Coupon $1500
    Trade In $3000
    GM Visa Points $1500

Total Deductions $9176

Payable to Dealer $33912. Paid $26000 cash and financed $8000 @2.9%

Only downside: I couldn't shake the admin and security fees and got less
    than I figured on the trade in . Since I never hear from other Canadians , I don't know how other deals stack up.
    I'm sure you guys just shake your heads at our prices and taxes, but we do have universal health care.
  • lewbie43lewbie43 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone experienced this? Should I ignore or go to dealer?

My 2010 Terrain was riding just fine. I stopped to run into a store and used my remote starter to start the engine. Thew engine didn't sound quite right--sort of grinding and loud. When I got in the car the Stabilitrak and check engine warnings were illuminated. I called OnStar. They ran some diagnostics and explained the stabilitrak, but said although I could drive it until/unless I smelled rubber burning (due to brakes locking up) but in any case get to the dealer not later than 2-3 days. I proceeded to drive knowing that I would be passing a dealer on my way home. I pulled into that dealer who said they would take a look but it would be a couple of hours until they could check it out. When I asked if I could drive the car, the service manager gave me the smart answer of, "It's your car, you can do whatever you want." I chose to drive home and see from there. No here's the weird part. When I started up the car, the warnings were gone and the car returned to "normal." Should I just forget that this happened or pursue it further? Thanks.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I would guess you have the 4 cyl?

I seem to remember reading somewhere or other about the stabilitrak warning due to low voltage. The low voltage was due to issue with high pressure fuel pump if I remember correctly. I would get it checked out.
  • lewbie43lewbie43 Member Posts: 6
    Yes, 4-cyl.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    lewbie43,
    I would definitely recommend having your vehicle looked at. The dealer will be able to assist with diagnosing your vehicle. If you have any other question comments or concerns please feel free to email me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • jd1017jd1017 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a beautiful SLE 2, 4cyl AWD, black/black with "upgraded" premium fabric seats (wife dislikes leather) and front drivers and passengers seats are heated! Got the moonroof and convenience package, which includes the remote start. Optional upgraded pioneer stereo system which is amazing. Came with trailer hitch option (for towing what exactly I don't know it is after all a 4 cyl), roof racks, rear cargo slide cover and grocery netting. Back seat with the adjustable slide bar is pure genius! Now I traded in a luxury suv that got 15 mpg but had every option including a high-end video system (kids were little and it was worth every penny on those long trips!!). I have to say this vehicle at less than half the price, is awesome! Sure the engine is no V8 but it handles great the finishes are very nice (interior is all black and accented with chrome). Car's nimble and run, looks sharp....I personally like the outside "truck" design that many reviewer's have criticized. Really like this vehicle so far.... :)
    Congrats. We picked up our SLT2 AWD 6 about 3 weeks ago and it seems to be a pretty nice and solid ride. Quite a few gizmos I still have to figure out, but that will come in time.
    Not to much experiance on the MPG front yet (and it may take several k miles to obtain best milage) , but with careful driving (not hypermiling but taking a page out of other GM 6 CYL's I've had) and keeping the tach around 1500 by adjusting speed and resulting gear it obtained D.I.C. indicated 21.5 MPG for the first 600 miles, and on a recent trip 258.4 miles and 11.11 gals =23.25 MPG if I calculated correctly. Not to bad at this point as its rated at 22 MPG highway..
    Must be everyone is just enjoying the ride and not having any problems?
    edited April 2011
    No problems here with the V6 version except my low beams seem to be a bit high - I keep getting flashed. Tried to adjust them using a Torx E8 socket as per the manual but after buying that and looking at them, that is obviously the wrong tool and the E8 socket wouldn't even fit in the adjustment hole.
    edited April 2011
    Oh, and every time I turn on the vehicle the air comes on, even in the winter when calling for heat and the vents set normally (not defrost). Got used to turning it off right away but this is something I don't think I should have to do. The dealer and GM customer service have been unable to resolve, I wonder if others also have this issue?
    It may just be you do a good job at keeping the lenses clean. I don'r have a lot of experiance night driving the T yet, but with my daily driver (HHR) I get flashed all the time (and adjustment is correct). Tends to happen more in winter when many/most vehicles have a lot of slop on their lenses and clean ones appear brighter to on coming drivers.
    You stated Customer Service was unable to help, do you have a case already set up? If you do, could you please email me the case number?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    Hate to assume anything, but you have set to auto (so heat comes on when you remote start)? It may be because its trying to take some of the humidity out of the air, at least that what I read elsewhere.
  • ansbyansby Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2011
    I bought my 2010 GMC Terrain in Nov of 2009. At first, things were wonderful..fast forward to now...it has been in the shop to replace the timing chain, cam shaft, tempature gage (when it overheated). It has a horrible loud knocking noise in the engine, which I have taken it into service. Was told this is how it is supposed to sound...I would NOT have bought a car that sounds like this and I know this is not how it sounded when I bought it. Now, when you push on the gas, it has a knocking noise. I am deploying to Afghanistan in July and this lemon of a car will sit for a year, cant wait to see how it runs when I return, if it runs at all!! I have told all that have asked me about the GMC Terrain to forego buying it!
    Wow, that's not good, 4or 6 cyl?
    It is a 4 cyl. I traded in my Ford Expedition to downsize and get better gas mileage. I have regretted that decision. I would like GMC to buy back this particular vehicle. I have gone to JAG to inquire about our states lemon laws.
    A real shame about the problems with the 4 cyl, the vast majority of Terrrain and Equinox problems relate to the 4 cyl. while the 6 cyl. seems trouble free.
    ansby,
    I would like to to thank you for your service! I would like to look into this further. Can you please email me your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I sent my information via e-mail. I appreciate any assistance I can receive. I know my resale value is nothing now, nobody is going to buy a car that sounds the way it does, not to mention the sound when you press the gas. I bought this car because of the advertised gas mileage and the room it has in the back for my boys sports equipment. Now, I am apprehensive to take it on a long road trip with all the problems it is having. The e-mail account is an Army.mil account. Again, thank you.
    No case number was ever given - my comment based on just a phone call to GM Customer Service (Canada) last fall.
    I do keep the headlights clean but the low beams actually look too high when looking at the lighting pattern projected on the vegetation, etc. along the sides of the road. The top of the light is at just about the same level as the average car drivers eye height. The effect is of course even worse if there's any load in the rear.
    griswald,

Unfortunately, I am unable to assist customers outside of the United States. I would encourage you to contact GM of Canada again.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    edited April 2011
    griswald, there's gotta be a manual levelling method for the lights.
    NHTSA pays rather close attention to headlights/adjustments - my 06 VW Jetta was recalled due to there being a problem with the headlight adjusters.
    so if there is any problem with your headlight level/adjustment, mention filing a NHTSA-equivalent complaint and then see if suddenly a solution is found! there's gotta be an agency like that in Canado too, eh?
    Wanted to post a follow-up message to my original post. I have taken my wife's 2011 AWD V6 Terrain back to the dealership twice for low city MPG. The dealership told me that the vehicle checked out both times & that they could not find any problems. I received a call from GM Customer Service rep 04/21/11. She said GM is aware that there are fuel economy issues with some Terrains. She also told me that GM engineering has solved the problem with 4-cyl engines and they are being fixed, but engineering is still working on the V6 solution. She said that our concern is not the only V6 owner concern & that CS has made our dealership aware of all this. CS says the dealership is on alert that a fix will soon be coming and the dealership would contact me immediately once they receive notice.
  • psywzrdpsywzrd Member Posts: 35
    edited April 2011
    That's good to hear. I have a v6 as well so I'd certainly love to know when/if they fix this issue and if they're going to institute a recall for it. I certainly hope they do a recall for something as important as this, especially with gas prices being where they are right now. If you get any further information on this and/or get your wife's Terrain fixed, please post back here if you can.
  • safety9285safety9285 Member Posts: 88
    :confuse: I have an Acadia and even though I do not have a sunroof on the Acadia, I have read many posts on the Acadia forum detailing horror stories about Acadia Roofs leaking and causing much interior damage including damage to the electrical systems.
    So my quesiton is as I consider a new Terrain to replace my 2007 Acadia, one option I would like to have on my next vehicle is a sunroof.
    Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the water tightness of the Terrain Sunroof?
    I have a 2007 Acadia. I have gotten the "service Stabilitrak" alert more than a few times. Dealer said shut off the engine and re-start and it goes away. He was right.
    In my case, it is just a quirk of the System.
    My Terrain has a sunroof and I haven't had any problems. This car has been trouble free so far. Not one problem.
    Do you have the 4 or 6 and are you OK with the mileage your getting?
  • kelsan1kelsan1 Member Posts: 34
    Hello, I have a new 2011 Terrain with sunroof/4 cyl and have had no problems to date; it is about 4 weeks old and has 1000 miles already; in addition I also have a 2011 Equinox equipped the same and have 13800 miles on that. The problems with it have been few and not major mechanical as posted in the Equinox forums and elsewhere her.
    Mileage for the Equinox averages about 23/25 in combined driving now and the Terrain is averaging about 20/23 in mixed driving.
    I bought the Terrain based upon my experience with the Equinox and so far am extremely pleased with the car.
    My Terrain came w/18" tires vs. 17" on the Equinox and does seem to ride a little better. Hope this help you. :)
    Thanks for the info. I drove a 2011-4-Nox yesterday and 10 minutes later drove Similar 4-Terrain and I agree that the Terrain ride a little better. I can not find a Terrain in the SLT2 trim so I am going to order a 2012 in about 2 weeks. Said I will get it 4-6 weeks after that. I told them I will accept delivery only after I drive it first . No deal until I feel the wheel.
    We have a sunroof on ours, no problems yet but I wouldn't be surprised if we eventualy do. The drains are the usual suspect I believe, they can get clogged. Google sunroof leaks and you will find many vehicles that have issues.

Gas milage wise out AWD 6 is doing reasonable. With careful driving in the 55-60 MPH range I have gotten a tad over 24 MPG on a trip (rated at 22MPG highway). Finding a speed/gear that keeps the Tach in the 1450-1500 RPM range seems to work well.
    Thanks for the info.
  • kelsan1kelsan1 Member Posts: 34
    Can you tell me if you keep your RPM about 1900 average what kind of mileage you are seeing?

My equinox gets mid to high 20's around 65mph but it is a 4 cyl with 14k miles, my terrain just turned 1200 and has been driven in mixed driving and is only getting low 20's at best so far.

Thanks.
    I have the 6 SLT2 with AWD. Our last trip to Texas and back. Drove 1770 miles and averaged 22.3 MPG.

This was mostly highway but not all. Some of the highway miles were at about 78MPH.
    Anyone have a 4cyl/AWD long enough to be able to tell me their real life mileage experience?
  • dallasterraindallasterrain Member Posts: 11
    We've had our 4 cylinder for over a year now and we're still getting around 22 mpg in town and about 26 mpg on the highway according to the car's mpg thing. Is anybody getting much better? And by the way, does everybody's mpg gauge work the same way? When I reset ours it will go to zero briefly and then scroll to 22 mpg.

We live in Dallas, so mostly pretty flat driving. On the highway we probably average about 80, so I know that's why our highway mpg doesn't come close to the 32 advertised, but I would think 28 mpg or so would be reasonable. Even on cruise control for long stretches at 75 it still only gets about 26 mpg or so. What is your experience with the 4 cylinder?

Finally, does anybody else just hate the seats? My wife likes them (and its "her" car!), but they seem to recline so far backwards I have a hard time finding a comfortable position. And they're difficult to get out of too, especially parked on our driveway with a slight incline.

Overall, my wife loves the vehicle so I do too!
    I was getting ready to buy a 2011 Terrain until I found out that there is no Home Link type option available on the 2011. This is the feature that allows the vehicle to sync with your Garage door opener.
    Two Questions:
    1. What was GM thinking?
    2. Does anyone know if this feature will be available in the 2011 due out in late July? :confuse:
    I re-posted since I meant to ask if this reature would be available in 2012.

I was getting ready to buy a 2011 Terrain until I found out that there is no Home Link type option available on the 2011. This is the feature that allows the vehicle to sync with your Garage door opener.
    Two Questions:
    1. What was GM thinking?
    2. Does anyone know if this feature will be available in the 2012 due out in late July?
    I am test riding a 2011 via rental and I find the seats very uncomfortable.
    I hope the 2012's are better.